Is a less-expensive elliptical machine worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking on CL for an elliptical, and the ProForms, etc., are all over the place.  My knees are beginning to hurt when I run daily on my treadmill & I'm wondering if an elliptical might be better.

When I read the online reviews, most of them are "meh!" about the lower-price ones and say to spend the money on the more expensive ones --- but they invariably link to purchasing sites, so I'm not sure if their motivation is financial in this case.

Does anyone here have any insight into this?  :)

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#2 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM

I can tell you I have owned a very cheap elliptical (I forget the brand) and a more expensive one (Nordictrak). They both collect dust the same in my basement. winky.gif

In all seriousness, I feel like the more expensive version is a "smoother" workout, but I don't really use any of the fancy programs or settings (or the iPod input). The only things I use on my more expensive model are the fan and the timer, both of which could be accomplished with a watch and a desk fan. It's also a lot easier to adjust the resistance.

I am larger busted (34J) and my knees bother me too much with a high impact workout. I bought the cheap elliptical, and it definitely helped me to be more comfortable during a workout (and I felt like I could go longer since I wasn't in pain). I decided to trade el cheapo in for a "better" model when Sears was having a major sale.

If your options are lower-price or nothing, definitely get the lower-priced. If you have a little more money to spend, maybe check out some models at a store and see if you would use any of the features or not, and that can help you make your decision.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  That is encouraging.  I appreciate your input.

#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM

We got our Schwinn elliptical from Sears, about a year ago, on a 50% off sale. Before buying, I tried many different models in stores. If you have a chance, try them out. Go to some high end fitness stores, and then try them at Sears. You will see the difference. If you can, don't buy without trying, as they all feel differently. For DH the differences were very pronounced, while for me, most felt more or less comfortable.

One very important factor is the length of the stride. If you are tall, you'd want the longest stride available. I'm okay with the 18" that I got, but on most machines 18" felt too choppy. If I could afford a better one, I'd go with 20", for sure.

I love my elliptical! I do dream of a fancier version, one day. I work out almost daily--though I did take a several months break this fall.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at some Sears floor models at 50% off - thanks!  I will go over there and try them.

#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just bought a not-so-expensive one. It is a proform with a 18" stride. I figured that I would start off on this and if I used it so much and needed to upgrade, then I would do so at some point.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page