Dingos chasing the March hare - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Sunday and Happy Spring!  Remember the reveal packages are due out this week!  I can't believe Secret Sprinter season is almost over....

Gaye ~ Thinking of your family and stepbrother.

Nic ~ You are FAST mama!!

Off to turn on a yoga dvd.  Really, I'm going.  (Someone kick me into gear!)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#302 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Gaye - Sending prayers for your stepbrother.

MM - That's a hard situation but I'd tell work about your pregnancy, at least it's that many more people supporting you and you won't have to do anything that could be dangerous  or makes you nervous.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#303 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Quick drive-by RR ~ 3300 yds in the pool!   What a way to start my swim challenge!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#304 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM

RM- fingers crossed for your house. What a nightmare!

MM- sorry about the work stress. I agree that telling would probably be best, but not without it's own set of headaches. And kudos on the first trimester running.

kerc- I get to MEC a few times a year if you want to put in an order smile.gif

RR- Did my half marathon today in 2:10:45ish?? (awaiting official time...). It was faster than I expected, though my hips are pretty achy now.It's better weather than I've run in for any of my long runs- glorious sun, beautiful mountains with fresh snow, and eagles overhead.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#305 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Super fun 7.5ish miles with some new friends from the triathlon message board this am. Even better because we ran from the restaurant that is less than 1/2 a mile from my place, so I jogged over there, and then we had a great run, and then breakfast with bottomless mimosas, and then I walked home. I may not be completely sober right now bag.gif, but it sure was fun! orngbiggrin.gif

And give me strength...my dad will be calling anytime now to pick him up. I just have to keep telling myself that I can handle it for less than 18 hours, and then I will deliver him to the airport. Deep breaths...

I suppose I should go shower or something. redface.gif

eta: Nice job, MelW!!!! clap.gif Super speedy!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#306 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Some photos of me, my co-coach (she's the gorgeous blond), my students, and my own kids at the 5k yesterday. Springfest 5K

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#307 of 511 Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Nic - The link didn't work for me. 

Jaygee - Awesome swim!!!  I need to get into the pool this week!

Gaye - Just breathe.  And bottomless mimosas after a nice run.  Mmmmmm

Mel - Great half!!!!

Jen - I hope you got your Yoga in!!!

MM - I agree with the others about telling work.  Or, maybe you can just tell your boss?

RR - I was planning to run outside today, but the heavens opened up and it started thunder storming.  So, it was 5 miles on my treadmill.  I ran it at 11:19 pace, which is pretty fast for me on the treadmill these days.  I was pleased.  It was a pretty great run, which also surprised me.  Everything just seemed to come together.

NRR - Then, I went to Bath and Body Works to work this evening!  We had to redo the entire store!  We were moving the tables from the back to the front and from the front to the back.  I did the trial size hand sanitizer table.  It had about a million plastic bowls, boxes, etc. that I needed to gather, clean, set up.  It was fun, but a lot of work. And definitely active stuff.  I highly doubt, though, that anything I have done in the last few days compensates for the amount of food I have consumed!  Will have to work on that next week!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#308 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 AM

9 on saturday, 8 on sunday.  I had to squeeze both runs in so although it wasn't as far as I'd liked, it was the best I could do.  I gotta speed up so I can get more miles in ;)

So DrJen do you think you'll do the Columbus full?  You are welcome to stay here before and we can travel there in the morning.  My thoughts were if I did it, I would just go up the morning of the race.  I have a friend that can pick up my packet the day before (she works in columbus), but then if Geofizz does it, she could pick up our packets too...

MelW - nice half!

Gaye - how were your 18 hours?

Bec - treadmill runs are so hard for me too!  It's so much easier to run outside (and faster too).

#309 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 AM

Nic - the link didn't work for me either.

I'm still going to wait a little while on work I think. The minute I tell them, they'll kick me out of xray and all the fun surgical procedures and assists. Basically, I'll be doing more of the thing I love most (complete sarcasm here): cleaning! grossedout.gif So, I know that rads are safe - the lead covers me, we have a brand new machine with practically no scatter and my badge basically says that I get 0 exposure. Anesthesia is up for debate - what little I breathe is broken down immediately I'm sure. I'll just keep playing the lower back pain card when it comes to lifting animals - it's true and I can get the extra hands I need. I only work weekends and it'll only be about 6 more weeks before I feel comfortable letting the cat out of the bag smile.gif

Ran 5 yesterday. It was nice. Runs feel good, but I am starting to feel hip and tailbone pain at nights, as I have every pregnancy. Hopefully, it doesn't kill the running.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#310 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Good Morning Dingoes!!!  It's certainly spring here, with the birds making a serious ruckus outside my kitchen window treehugger.gif.

Nic ~ I'd love to see your pics, but the link wouldn't work for me either.  Can you repost?

Gaye ~ now THAT sounds like a fun run!!!

MelW ~ great race!!!!!

MM ~ I tend to worry about exposure to toxins most during the first 12 weeks.  Any chance you'd reconsider not telling work?

I'm getting jealous of all the Columbus half/full runners!  If we still lived in Indiana, I'd totally be there too, but it's 7 hours from St. Louis....

Even though yesterdays swim was great, I was still the slowest swimmer there by far.  The workout was 400 warmup, 12 x 250 on the 4:00, 10 x 50 on the 1:00.  So everyone else did 12 x 250 and I did 12 x 200.  I also did the last 5 of those with my zoomers on so I could make the interval.  But I felt really good when it was all done and still managed 3300 yards.  Back to the pool today for a quick 30 minute swim before spin class.  If nothing else, all this swimming will hopefully help my endurance in the pool.

#311 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Kristina - I have definitely found that swimming a bunch helps my endurance.  I don't think ANYTHING can help my speed.  I have been told that my form is pretty good, and I can go for a long time, but, like my running, I will never be fast. 

#312 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm going to try getting back to the Y today. Back is still fragile, but feeling OK, so I will do something low-impact, and then probably some yoga. Kids are on spring break, and we are at ds's orthodontist right now, then the library, and probably the Y after the lunch rush is done there. I'm curious to see where my weight is at, and it's definitely time to get back into some sort of sweating routine. Also need to fight off the case of gloom-and-doom I get from the looming snowstorm. Hoping to see JenLove's face this week, but I'm a little worried since it looks now like the storm is going to dump right on top of her.

Rummage sale #2 went well. We got rid of almost everything we have to sell. Just the cars left now. I am also done with most of the repair work. Biggest job remains (and will until the weather cooperates), but once we fix the porch roof and railing, we'll be ready to close and move. Kids' school apps are done. One more farewell party next weekend. Dh is finagling to have our move dates closer instead of the current 6-week span. I have apparently 11 chickens left. Tractor will be sold and picked up this week. Then, the 3 autos and finish the school year. Things are getting done.

Lots of great big deep breaths these days. Feeling grateful and anxious all at the same time.

P.S. Nick, you achieved MY 5k goal this year. Me? Notsomuch.

#313 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Phew, we made it! It actually wasn't *that* bad, although I know for a fact that was significantly helped by him only being here for 16ish hours. orngtongue.gif The incessant dinging of my car because he can't fasten his seatbelt (because he's too big, sigh) was about enough to drive me nuts. It apparently only turns off once you start going highway speeds and then starts up again when you slow/stop. rolleyes.gif Dingdingdingdingding....all the way from downtown to my condo, and then from my condo to the airport. dizzy.gif

I had grand plans to go for a run this morning, since my mom and niece are arriving tomorrow and I probably won't get another workout in until at least Saturday, but no such luck. Oh well. It's not like I'm really training for anything at the moment, anyway. I guess I could try to get it in this afternoon, but I have SO many errands to run that it's just not gonna happen...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#314 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Jo ~ congrats on selling all the stuff!!!  So you have a buyer for the house??  It's all moving so quickly.  And what is this snowstorm of which yo speak?  Must check weather....

Gaye ~ glad you survived the visit.  The seatbelt ding would annoy the crap out of me too.

Swim #2 done ~ 1600yds and then a 45 minute spin class.  I need to remember to have a gel between swim and spin when I do this though, because I seriously wanted to lay down and take a nap about 10 minutes before spinning ended!

#315 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Awesome swim, JayGee!

Jo - Things are moving fast!  I know you will be happy when everything is settled.  I'm glad to hear your back is doing better.

Gaye - The seatbelt thing would make me crazy.  What about buckling it before he gets in, so he is sitting on it?  Glad the visit is done. 

RR: 5 miles outside today.  I had some serious negative splits with each mile getting faster than the last.  For those interested: 11:47, 11:28, 11:09, 10:18, 9:43. 

Now, to shower and head off to my grandmother's funeral.  Blech.  I truly needed that run!

#316 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM

bec, I missed that your grandmother had passed away.  I'm so sorry.

The seatbelt dinging would drive me batty as well.  

We somehow managed to finish the second bathroom this weekend.  Started ripping out the old fixtures Friday night around 6, finished Sunday around 6.  This includes an insane amount of time spent cleaning my shower with far from earth friendly cleansers as became clear how many corners had been cut due to the previous crappy lighting.  Just need to caulk both bathrooms and go around with a kid sized paintbrush and touch up the little bits of the old color peeking through due to letting my 12 yo do most of the taping.  The good news is that I never felt on the brink of divorce this weekend, we both held it together far better, although I did cry a bit.  The bad news is that I skipped my favorite hot yoga class on Sunday in order to get it all done, but I did do my 5 on Saturday.

I noticed both Saturday and today that my calf/shin issues really start to ease at about mile 2.  The problem is that struggle, hard, for those first two miles and consider just quitting about 35 times at a minimum.  Walking before, stretching before, etc, really does nothing to make it any easier.  Ideas?  It's better after 2 ART sessions and I have another Thursday, with strict orders to foam roll 2-4x a day in between as he described my IT band as a guitar string.  

I've also managed to develop myself a cold sore on the left side of my bottom lip.  So attractive.  I haven't had one in quite some time- any tips besides big doses of L-lysine?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#317 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM

oh, and the highlight of today's run?

There was at least a mile there in the middle where I was CONVINCED that my tampon was going to fall out.blush.gif

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#318 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 02:32 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH Secret Sprinter! Wow, what an awesome package to come home too. All these gluten free goodies, yummy smelling coffee, fuzzy socks and a great coffee cup. LOVE IT. blowkiss.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#319 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Funeral done.  Memiles, I wasn't close to my grandmother.  My dad wasn't close to his mother.  In fact, I don't think there was anyone that was close to her.  It has brought up some emotions about her failures as a parent/grandparent that aren't charitable, and I'm trying to work through them in a way I can be proud of. 

Sending out my reveal SS package tomorrow!!!

#320 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Reading along, and sending lots of goodvibes.gif where they're needed (RM on the house, 1jooj on her back and others I've already forgotten) and joy.gif for good stuff (tjsmama on your test and Nick on your 5K PR).

Had a good weekend in terms of exercise. I biked with J in the trailer and ran errands on Saturday, though the wind that tjsmama noted was really miserable (going home: uphill + either a crosswind or headwind = s-l-o-w). On Sunday I ran basically the same route w/J in the jogger. I'm hoping to get in a run tomorrow too, despite the 35 mph winds that they're forecasting.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#321 of 511 Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM

bec~That is GENIUS. Although, it'll probably be another 4 years before the issue comes up. orngtongue.gif I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. hug.gif

jaygee~I am seriously envious of your swimming. Yep, still haven't been in the pool since um...August? bag.gif Way to kick butt!

memiles~joy.gif for finished bathrooms!

I am SO OVER the wind. I planned to grill for dinner, totally prepared dinner for the grill, and could not get the stupid thing to stay lit. irked.gif So, I ended up smoking up the house with my grill pan instead. It was still yummy, but ended up being far more hassle than I had intended. Not to mention the wildfire in Golden that's being fueled by the wind. greensad.gif

On the upside, I got possessed by some sort of productivity after dinner, and cleaned/picked up three rooms so that my house is a little more presentable for my mom's arrival...

#322 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 AM

Yeesh, major bonk this morning. I got in 3 miles and my legs and body felt like dead weight. I guess I was due for a crap run after so many good ones so I can't complain, but it's a bummer.

In standardized-test-prep-hell at work...boo.

#323 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 AM

bec, I have some family situations like that. So sorry, and I hope you feel OK about where you come out on the other side. 

RM, I have been thinking about you and your family. Hope things are all right.

JayGee, we don't have a buyer. The house isn't actually for sale yet. We're taking the company buyout offer, though, since it's fair and is worth (to me) not having to somehow attempt to move out/ship/liquidate everything while also making the place presentable for showings and open houses. And, with our move date coming close, it makes more sense than trying to sell and negotiate with buyers and deal with all that. So we have a couple more repairs to make for that to go through, and still waiting on results of an asbestos test before we can deal with that. I have been a full-time admin on this project, so I'm really thankful I quit when I did.

What a spring break. :/ We're hoping the snow stays north of us (sorry, JenLove and kerc!), but we're looking at several days of winter temps and it's overcast and dark. Sleeping weather. I have a couple errands today. Didn't make the Y yesterday, but we did all get matching suitcases for the flight. Orange suitcases.

Gaye, I hate it when the wind wrecks my dinner plans, too. That or the propane. Argh. At least it's ushering in the change of the seasons, right?

My new big challenge is getting dh to pick a relocation date. There are a lot of things we can't move forward with without a date. Like, for example, plane tickets. So I'm pushing him to nail down something (and pushing it out a week beyond what we were maybe thinking) and trying to nail down something for us too. Less than a month between departures sounds bearable.

There will be a workout today. Time to start fighting the inertia. Back is healed but needs to be stretched and strengthened. Thank you, thank you for your positive thoughts and vibes. I KNOW this helps. love.gif

#324 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Blizzard!  Ok not yet, but supposedly it's coming. We're at the time of year when 12 inches of snow in one snowstorm is fun for the snow lovers and reasonably quick to melt for those looking forward to spring. Although I'm on spring break and I could have used the blizzard before spring break so I still get my days home alone. Also when I saw that Jo and jenlove were contemplating a meetup I thought, "I could do that -- 5 hrs there, 5 hrs back. Stop for a few geology stops on the way (that I need to seek out anyhow)." But yeah, not so much in snow.

I didn't get to run yesterday since I might have a sick kid. If she's home today then I don't get in my run.  3 miles on Thursday in snow with my running partner might be tricky if I don't do 2 today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#325 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM

I am also waiting, kerc.  I expected to wake up to snow, but nothing yet.  I am taking the opportunity to do the weekly shopping that I put off yesterday.  I hope the stores aren't crazy.  

Last night at Target, it was nuts.  I just don't get people.  Yes, it's going to snow.  No, you won't be left starving and helpless if we get a few inches.  And really, if you're worried about that- start stocking up earlier! Jeez, I must be getting old.

Yesterday I biked to work, walked nearly 6 miles at work, and then biked home in the wind.  It took longer to get home (painful at midnight), but it was so great.  I love biking so much!  

#326 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM

JayGee, you're inspiring me with the swims. I made a plan to take the kids to the pool today, but my youngest woke up pretty snotty.

jo- Glad your back is feeling better. I hope that it keeps healing.

nic- grrrr to the standardized tests irked.gif

Good luck to everyone facing snow!

RR-My official half time was 2:10:51. Interestingly, at the exact same pace (6:12/km) as the only other race I've done in my life, a 14k about 2 1/2 years ago when I was 8 weeks pregnant. The other cool thing that I forgot to mention is that a few "big" athletes were training in Victoria over the winter and came up to run the half, and because it was an out and back course I got to see them coming back. Simon Whitfield won the race. A few other race "tidbits": I consistently passed people on the hills, despite it being a pretty flat course my running on hilly trails seemed to have helped. What I really disliked was the impact of road running- I feel so much better on trails! No races in my near future, but lots of trail running planned for the summer. My husband and I still have a goal of crushing our record on the short route we run, and I'm feeling ready for it.

NRR- My FIL and his girlfriend were supposed to come up for the end of the week to help out with spring break childcare and in pulling up the carpet in our master bedroom. Just had a call that they're both sick and likely not coming. My husband's text message response? "I hate everything". He's been in a foul mood for about three days now... I was hoping for a collaborative "let's figure out what we need for childcare, etc." kind of response, but not so much :(

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#327 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

MelW ~ great race!  Sorry your childcare plans fell through and your DH is being crummy about it.

Thinking of all you soon-to-be-snowbound Dingoes!  And glad the snow will only be rain in southern Illinois.

RR ~ tempo run this morning with mile 1 warmup, mile 2 at 8:04, mile 3 at 8:34 (giant hill), mile 4 at 7:49 and then easy back to the Y for a total of 5.3 miles.  Then into the pool for a super-easy 1200 yards.  Swim #3 ~ DONE!

#328 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Hi, Thnks for thinking of us!! House deal is a train wreck, horrible yet you just can't look away. Both mortgage person (15 years) and realtor friend of hers (25 years) have never been through or heard o anything like this before. Mortgage lady is just as frustrated N worked up about this as my husband. Looking at strtjng mortgage paperwork all over. I still feel that this is the house for us though and putting it in Gods hands.

RR: hurt my right knee somehow so not running on it for a few days or until it's better. smile.gif
#329 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Hi Ladies,

I sent off my reveal package today. :)

RR: I did my strength class today which I managed to add weight for my arms but bonked on my legs.  My piriformis is so tight.  It's just crazy.  Hurts all the time, but I think I actually got my heels a little close tot eh ground doing downward dog today so I'm calling progress.  Yesterday I aspired to be JayGee and did laps for 40 minutes.  I lost count of laps but I'm sure it was at least over 1600 yards.  But I realized that my weak core plays into my lower back aching after swimming.

NRR: I've been struggling with writer's block on a story for the next play.  It's a version of the Emperor's New Clothes meets mean girls set in a bee hive.  I can't figure out how the victims of the Queen Bee can give her a taste of her own medicine without becoming nasty bullies themselves.    Or is it okay to leave that out there?  How does one satisfactorily defend against bullying without crossing over?  Maybe I'll pass that quandry on to the composer and he can make it into a song. (I wish!)

Bec - Sorry about your conflicted grief (or lack thereof) about your Grandmother.  It's hard to process when our emotions don't line up with what we've been taught they should be.

RM - Keeping the house vibes headed your way.

Jo - You too, I hope the final repairs go smoothly.

Okay, I should go back to staring at what little script I have.  Sorry for the lame personals. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#330 of 511 Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM

The bees could decide that the QB needs to be replaced, which they do IRL by feeding a new baby QB and rearing her, and then the old QB basically gets kicked out...maybe one bee decides to do something interesting in the feeding schedule of the new QB to help make her sweet and wise instead of unkind (like telling her morality fables or something while her wings sprout)...and eventually, the QB is forced to leave the hive. Maybe she takes a few drones and workers who don't really have much self-esteem to go along with her and form a small, cold, unhappy little hive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page