Dingos chasing the March hare - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ummmm...........thanks Etsy seller.  That was supposed to have a card with the SS reveal :)  And since I outed myself in a sleep deprived mailing accident with the first package, I'll just do it again.

I'm so, so, so glad you like it.  Slap those things on a chain and run FAST for all of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Mamas, you all are amazing. I am happytears.gif

I received a beautiful gift today, anonymously -- and I'm guessing it's from one or more of you. Two lovely little silver charms, one that says 13.1, and the other that says 1:57. What an incredible gift -- I am so lucky to have you all. THANK YOU!!!!!

You made my day. My week, my month. Awesome.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I love it. I just love it. You are da' bomb as a secret sprinter!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Awww, that's an awesome one memiles! Yay Nic!!

Anyone hear from DrJen?  I'm still rumbling about the Columbus full.  I think there are several that want to do the 1/2, but only Jen wanted to do the full.  Hope all is well in your world Jen...

My hip has been giving me a lot of grief, and my knees, and my ankles.  I just seem to be falling apart.  But I got an easy 3 in tonight with Skeeter dog (aka moto moto) with the gentle leader.  Good grief, why I didn't get this thing a year ago I'll never know. It has made the difference between an amazing run and an awful, frustrating, and challenging run.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Memiles, how sweet.   :)  What a beautiful necklace, Nic!

Short bike ride with the dog.  Not nearly enough fm to offset the brownies I made (and mostly ate) today.  

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Awww, memiles, that is a fabulous gift!!!

I finally managed to get to the post office to ship out my last package.  Sorry Secret Sprintee that it is so late!  Can someone explain to me why getting to the post office is so difficult?  I've had everything assembled for days now!  All it needed was a box and a label.  eyesroll.gif  It's been something of a rough day.  My Girlscout coleader is stepping down, and is just done with the whole thing, and I'm having a hard time not taking it personally (it isn't, I know that somewhere), and I am just feeling insecure and depressed.  I'm worried about my Katie and the struggles she has, am feeling burnt out, and just want warm weather.  I have 6 cases of girl scout cookies left to sell or the troop takes a loss on it.  I've also been out late 4 straight days in a row and am tired.  I know I'm over reacting, am over emotional and, apparently, am too hard on people.  I took a rest day because I was too tired, and too busy.  Hopefully, I will get 5 miles run tomorrow.  Running always makes me feel better.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello.  My name is Wendy and I'm addicted to running.

It'd been 7 days since my last run.  The first few days were ok, then it was hard and frustrating, and then all I could think about was running. 

I was just starting to get past it, but I would still see old running buddies online, on facebook, and on my street.  My own husband is the worst, constantly suggesting I head out for "just a quick one."

Tonight I gave in.  And it felt soooooo good.  I'm not even sorry I did it.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 PM

bec--hope tomorrow is better and brings lots of sun and warmth your way.

Geo--glad you got that run in!

1jooj, JenLove and everyone else who got tons of snow: send it this way please and we'll send some sun your way. Colorado would appreciate a snowstorm.

I did see snow today, but it lasted about 5 minutes and was just flurries. That's not enough to take care of either of the wildfires that were still going today. One was about 4 miles due west of my parents' house. They're on the eastern plains so the terrain is a lot easier to deal with than in than in the mountains, thankfully.

NRR: I volunteered at R's school this afternoon. As I was cleaning up afterward, I heard someone in the office ask "did you contact district security?" and a minute later the first grade class next door was returning to their classroom and the teacher asked them to leave the lights off and sit on the floor, which I thought was odd. I returned the supplies to R's teacher and started headed back to the office to sign out when the alarm went off. It was three short beeps, so I wasn't sure if it was a fire drill or a lockdown--and based on what I'd heard I was concerned about a real lockdown. At any rate, I figured I'd better keep going to the main office and would see what to do when I got there.

When I reached it, the door was closed and all the secretaries were gone, but the principal spotted me and opened the door. I asked him if I could just sign out and he said yes, but I just needed to follow his instructions. (To which I thought, well, why wouldn't I? I've known him for a decade, so it was just kind of funny.) Then I realized I should just ask what kind of a drill it was so I knew whether I was supposed to be outside or inside. Duh! He told me it was a fire drill so I headed on out to my car as planned, feeling rather stupid for being like "what should I do?" :P

Any fire alarm I've had in school or at the universities where I teach are one continuous alarm, so it's not like I'm a complete moron. An alarm with three beeps was a tornado drill, but they don't do those here. Plus, all the classrooms have doors that exit directly outside, so the hallway had absolutely no one in it besides me, which was disconcerting because my schools weren't set up that way so the hallway would have been packed during a fire drill, yk? However, it has left me thinking: what is the protocol for a (real) lockdown when parents are already arriving for pick-up? Do they notify the parents to lock their car doors or go somewhere else? We usually get to school 15-20 minutes before it lets out and just sit in parking lot, but it's not like my doors are locked or anything because there are plenty of other parents just reading in their cars too. Things to ponder....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Real ~ that does sound weird for a fire drill, and disconcerting.

Geo ~ yippie for a run!!!!!

bec ~ I'm sorry you had an emotionally tough day.  Hope a run makes it all better.

Nic ~ what a wonderful, wonderful gift!  Great job, memiles!

Okay, my final SS package will go out today.  Promise.  I just couldn't leave the house yesterday.  After getting home from the Y, Kirsten and I spent the entire afternoon, in front of the fire playing games, reading together and playing Legos.  No way was I about to leave that kind of fun to go to the post office!  It's snowing here this morning irked.gif but I have a ton of errands plus gymnastics with DD2, so no more lazy, snowy days here.  Longer swim planned for this evening.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Real, you can HAVE the snow! They said last night that Green Bay got 18 inches and this is now the 6th snowiest winter on record. Even though these last 18 inches were in spring. irked.gif

Geo, I am 2 weeks runless today. gloomy.gif Totally aware that it's feeding into my growing anxiety, but so overwhelmed by expectations of those around me that I just have not been able to get it together and run. Honestly, the back probably could not take the pounding yet, but I have been doing yoga daily. Even got a headstand in yesterday. Feels so good to do the headstand.

We sold our Civic yesterday. The car we bought 6.5 years ago for $2500. My dh was the primary driver, and he put 65k miles on the car. I posted it on CL for $1500 and got a call within 5 minutes. We got our asking price, and others were offering to pay $300 more just to get in front of the guy who called first. yikes.gif More than 15 calls over the course of the day, and the buyer came up from the Milwaukee area to buy the car. Anyway, it was a good car, and I hope it works for the buyer, and now we are a 2-car family. The bug goes next, in 3-4 weeks, and then the kids and I will live out of the minivan. winky.gif

Running will begin again Monday. It has to.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Jo - I love hearing about everything you are selling.  It is, somehow, very satisfying.  And a good price!  I hope you get your run in soon!

Geo - Personally, I don't have a problem.  I'm sure I could stop any time.  It's not like I spend my every waking moment thinking about when I'm going to get my fix..I mean, run.  Oh, wait.

Speaking of which, I am hoping to get 5 miles in today. 

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

RR: did LR of 10 miles, right knee a little sore now, but icing it and taking tomorrow off. 

cool news?  I can do straight leg raises for my lower abs (over 50!) and, and!, full body tricep dips (yes, with complete body suspended in air).  I've also been able to start doing push ups in almost handstand position (legs up on pull up bar).  So fun!!  Now to get back to working on awesome arms.  Looking at my wieght lifting magazines for some great work outs. 

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM

kiss.gif to my Secret Sprinter I loved every piece of the food and the pampering of the giant reveal package. You really packed it in that box. My hungry granola eaters are helping me out on the yummy homemade granola. eat.gif Every year the SS is fun, heartwarming, and makes me glad I participated.

I did participate but some of memiles luck must have rubbed off on me. I went to the post office yesterday but forgot my package so it was mailed today. When I got home I found the note I meant to include. I'll give it a few days to get there and then out myself via pm. oops.gif and duh.gif but I can still lol.gif at myself.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
bec

RR: 5 miles on the treadmill!  I pushed the pace and did most of the run at 5.4mph, and pushed up to 6.0 for the last half mile, giving me a sub 11:00 average pace overall.  This is progress for me.  Especially on the treadmill!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

So it turns out I came in 6th out of 20 in my age group at last week's 5K....woot!

Awful week at work. Came home today, made dinner (chicken shwarma, salad, rice, humus) and put it in to warm for everyone, then took myself out for a 6 miler. The end wasn't pretty as I just lost my mojo, but it was nice to walk the last half mile anyway. I feel better.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM

bec--WTG!

1jooj--glad to hear you got such a great price on the car.

RM--that is cool news indeed. You must look fabulous these days!

Nick--6th--I can only imagine! Nice!

JayGee--did you fit the swim in?

RR: 5 miles, with a 3-mile tempo pushing the double jogger at an 8:36 pace. Before that sounds too awesome, I will note my grateful thanks to the blessedly long stoplights that I kept hitting along the way. Also, I only had J in the stroller for the first two miles of the tempo, which was definitely easier than the last tempo mile with both kids. The first two hills after the tempo nearly killed me--my legs were just shot. Then we stopped at the park and played, despite the fact that it had gone from being sunny and near 60 to overcast, windy and 50, and that did wonders for the last two hills in the last mile home.

NRR: J's party is tomorrow. I'm hoping to fit a short ride in, but we'll see if it happens between cleaning and cooking and such. Maybe if I can haul myself out of bed a little early, though it's so hard to get up when a warm baby is snuggled up next to me....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM

I cannot believe it's Friday already. Where, oh where did my spring break go?! Oh yeah...something about Grandma and my niece visiting. lol.gif

We have had such a fantastic time, I'm really sad that they're leaving tomorrow. Not to mention that DS is flying out with XH, too, so I'll go from lots of company to zero company. Yesterday we went and toured Dinosaur Ridge (dinosaur fossil site, basically), which I've run up and over (glancingly longingly at the signs I wanted to read but couldn't stop for orngtongue.gif). It was really cool, and I can't believe I've lived here nearly 10 years and never done it. Super cheap, and really interesting! Then we went for a drive through Red Rocks amphitheater, since my mom had never seen it. To top it all off, we ended up taking the kids to Casa Bonita for dinner. Holy moley. Some of you may have heard of it (it was immortalized in a South Park episode!)...it's an absolutely crazy restaurant. They have cliff divers, pirates, mariachi bands, an arcade, and on and on. The kids LOVED it. The food is pretty bad (although actually not as bad as I had been led to believe), but it was made up for by the spectacle of the place. We will be returning, for sure. Today was slightly more low-key, mostly because we had to wait around for delivery of DS's new mattress set. We went out for breakfast to a place that I've been dying to try since it opened about a year ago (YUM eat.gif), back to clean out/reorganize DS's room and wait for the mattress, out shopping for new bedding, then a Costco run, back to the hotel to take the kids swimming, and then finally back to my place. DS and his cousin are asleep in his new big boy bed, and grandma took my car back to her hotel so I don't have to go get her in the morning. What a crazy week it's been! SO awesome, though. Grandma pretty much rocked the house...she paid for everything, but especially DS's mattress and the Costco stock-up. love.gif

No fm today, but I kind of feel like chasing after two four year olds had to have burned SOME calories, right? redface.gif I'll have to get out for something tomorrow after I get back from delivering everyone to the airport...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Just jumping in for a real quick NRR update on the midwife/birthing center.  We finally got to go see it Friday after rescheduling TWICE.  And OMG, am I in love!  The midwife is so understanding, encouraging, and following our lead through this.  The center itself is like walking into a home... a vacation home.  They have big tubs for water births and a hospital across the road for transfers (to make my mom feel safer ugh).  She has a 1% C-Section rate.  She was even kind enough to let me listen to baby "AJ's" heartbeat yesterday during our free consultation.  What a blessing!  

Count me in!  This baby will be born in a supportive environment, with my loving family around me, the natural way.  I can do this!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
bec

That is so awesome, Jen!!!  I'm so excited for you! 

Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

Just jumping in for a real quick NRR update on the midwife/birthing center.  We finally got to go see it Friday after rescheduling TWICE.  And OMG, am I in love!  The midwife is so understanding, encouraging, and following our lead through this.  The center itself is like walking into a home... a vacation home.  They have big tubs for water births and a hospital across the road for transfers (to make my mom feel safer ugh).  She has a 1% C-Section rate.  She was even kind enough to let me listen to baby "AJ's" heartbeat yesterday during our free consultation.  What a blessing!  

Count me in!  This baby will be born in a supportive environment, with my loving family around me, the natural way.  I can do this!

You not only can do this, you will do it and you are doing it.  Doing the happy dance for you!

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Serial posting:

FM:  6 miles (my first 6 since last summer) done and done. I didn't die.  I did, however, change my mind on my route 3 miles in and get myself into a situation where I had to call dh to come pick me up.  I realized I need to do some work on flat surfaces (my weekday runs in the neighborhood are all hills), but to do that I needed to be in town rather than go home.  So I did, then finished at a coffee shop and called him for a rescue rather than walk the 2 miles home.  Leg is feeling better (although it's still not feeling like the left) and I've resigned myself to doing the half in run/walk intervals at the strong suggestion of the miracle chiro.  I trust his judgement, and he says it's doable without making things worse if I Galloway it, so I shall.  That's not wimping out, right?

Non-FM:  State cup game today.  Go Legacy, go Courtney.  Find that mojo and kick some booty!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 PM

I am sooooo behind!! I've had freezing issues trying to post the past couple of days. Fingers crossed for this one.

Nic & Memiles, sounds like an amazing SS gift!

Jen, glad the birth centre tour was great!

Tjsmama, what a busy week! Chasing after a pair of four year olds is a pretty good calorie burn, I think.

RR- I had a bad run on Wednesday where a hip ache travelled to my knee, and have been resting/stretching ever since. I've been debating about seeing chiro/physio/massage for it, but am still in wait and see mode.

NRR- Took my kids to the optometrist yesterday and my oldest needs a stronger glasses prescription after only 6 months greensad.gif He used to be hopeful that she might grow out of it, but given the changes she's probably in glasses long-term. She doesn't care (and was excited to choose new frames) but I get a bit sad about it.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Sigh. Major downer dropping the family at the airport this morning. I bawled half the way home from the airport. greensad.gif It was such a fun week. I had a hard time getting motivated to get out for my run when I got home, since I was so down in the dumps. I dragged myself out there and got it done, though. I wish I could say that I felt a ton better now, but I would only say it's moderately better. redface.gif

Must go shower, then it's time for hockey! Which I'm totally torn on...I want my team to win, of course, but if they do, there's no way that I can go to the Frozen Four this year, which would make me really, really sad...

p.s. Go Courtney!!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Well, I decided to scrap the long run in favor of running with a friend I haven't run with in forever, and calling it a fall back week/recovery run.  It was a nice 4 miles, but the trail was really goopy. 

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

I've been a lousy correspondent lately; I'm so sorry!  I made a to-do list, which is always a major mistake, since I'm so competitive and they bring out the worst in me.  On there were things like "wash windows" and "patch screens" and "fix sink."  It's a very time-consuming list, and includes things like washing the windows and doing small house repairs that I've never done before.  So I'm cranking through the list instead of posting here.  I'm sorry I've missed stuff!

Nic--it sounds like your race was great, and that your students are being lousy right now.  I'm sorry about that; I hope your summer vacation will be rejuvenating for you.

Gaye--wow, you've had a tiring week!

Jo--I can't believe how much you've accomplished on your relocation project!

Jen--I'm so happy for you, finding a peaceful place for your birth.

This morning I decided to do a long run, even though it was cold and I waited tables last night into the wee hours.  I knew I was going to a wedding shower and a kids' birthday party today and wanted to be able to eat crap.  orngtongue.gif  My iPod was dead when I left the house (why didn't the thing charge?  It was plugged in all night!), but my Garmin picked up satellite reception incredibly quickly, which is unusual.  I decided to just run without music.  It was surprisingly peaceful and nice; I might try running with silence more often.  I did eight miles, and it felt pretty good once I ran away from the chill in the air.

Wedding shower was crummy; it was for a high-school friend with whom I've stayed in communication.  The one other high-school friend I expected to see there bailed, so I ended up with another girl from high school I don't know as well.  She's in the wedding, so spent much of the time talking to the two other girls at the table (a friend of hers, plus the bride's sister) about tonight bachelorette party, to which I wasn't invited and wouldn't have attended anyway.  I spent some time wandering around the restaurant, which is a beautiful space located in an old mill building, and pretending contentment while nobody talked to me.  And guzzling water to stave off an overexertion headache.

The food, I must say, was excellent.  There was a buffet, really good coffee, and beautiful cupcakes.  Even all of these years after high school, it seems the social thing is still not my best subject.  I did manage to maintain a conversation with girl at my table I didn't know; she's a biker and sometimes runner so we talked a bit about races and training.

After leaving that party early, my body rebelled against my decision to run eight miles while having my period, and then eat restaurant food and drink coffee.  When you guys do a long run, does it result in gastrointestinal distress for the rest of the day?  What do you eat after a particularly taxing run?  Should I go for comfort food?  Straight carbs?  An apple?  I'm reluctant to plan another long run if it's going to result in an afternoon of stomach misery.

Anyway, the second party of the day, a birthday party for my first-grade DD's classmate, was awesome.  It was at a karate place and almost her entire class was there.  It's a nice group of kids, who were able to spend two hours running and playing competitive games without a single conflict, bad sport, or hurt feeling.  I was able to chat with a couple of the other moms, plus watch the kids interacting, and it was a lot of fun.  If it weren't so pricey and she wasn't already fixated on ballet, I'd consider enrolling DD in a class.

We'll see if tomorrow brings more running.  If the weather is nice, I might see if we can check out this maple syrup place after church.  I guess they give awesome tours and hold free tasting of maple stuff.  Yummy!  I wonder if I could buy a huge jug of maple syrup to last us awhile.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Thank you so much to bec, my awesome Secret Sprinter!  Today's package included a yummy candle, a tri t-shirt, a really pretty keyring, and some placecard holders!  Thanks so much!!!  I'm mortified to admit that my package is still not mailed, but will go out Monday, Priority Mail.  So sorry to my SS.

Today was DD1's birthday party and she decided to pick one friend and go to the Science Museum for the afternoon, so that's what we did.  They had a great time and it was totally low stress.  It's snowing like crazy today with at least 4 inches already on the ground.  All the robins are hopping around out there looking at each other with their "what the heck?!" faces.

No swim today due to DD's party, a gnarly cold, and general feelings of malaise.  I'll try for 7 next week.  Starting tomorrow!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM

<waving hello>

RR: 8.5 good miles with running neighbor, which clipped by quickly. I'm still not quite to the point where I'm confident I'll be ready for a half May 1st, but it felt good to make some progress on the long run.

NRR: another kind of stressful week, although some good points - I think I'll be contributing to a grant proposal that sounds interesting, and I'm finally feeling kind of caught up. Finished the three Hunger Games novels that dd has been wanting me to read - gripping and quick, although they've given me strange dreams. Or something has.

Hoping to run again tomorrow and finally get some cleaning done...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Biked to work, walked, climbed, and lifted for 8 hours, then biked hom 3.5 miles.  I'm pretty tired.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Hi Dingoes, happy Sunday.

Waiting for dh to get back from his bike ride so I can go out for 10 or so. There is something at once liberating and nerve wracking about not being on a specific training schedule. lol.gif That would be my anal nature. eyesroll.gif

My last race of the season (here) is April 9, the Shark's Tooth 10k. Some of my students who did really well in the 5K and who were in my running elective have decided to run it with me as a team again. I'm so excited for them that they've caught the 'bug' and gratified it turned out so well. It was nice to get that feedback after last week's awfulness.

So anyway right now I"m more or less on 'maintenance' plan which is basically 3 4.5-5 mile runs a week, maybe a 6 miler, and a 10 miler for a long run. Not sure if that's going to work and I definitely need a date and a plan for my next big race, but until I hear from NYC Marathon and/or start planning my fall halfs, I am kind of in limbo.

Still, a nice easy 10 miler (if it goes well...you never know) will be a good thing today.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Jaygee - I'm so glad you liked your packages!  It was really fun putting it all together.  And the tri shirt came from my tri class.  The timing couldn't have been better!

Rest day here.  Tomorrow all the kids are off for the start of spring break.  So, we'll see how much running I actually get done next week!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Go Nic!

Memiles ~ What a sweet and thoughtful gift!

SS ~ All of these reveals are making me jealous that I didn't just get my act together and workout (and be involved in SS).  LOL!  

Nemesis ~ You must come home whipped!  

RR:  Well, it's not running but it's yoga.  I got in 20 minutes yesterday - thank you BeachBody.  I am awaiting Yoga Booty Ballet in the mail too (and my start up kit to consult).  Woot!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

User Tag List