Dingos chasing the March hare - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Umm, I resolved to run with the Dingos in January, but I got so behind after going out of town I haven't posted since bag.gif  I have been lurking for inspiration to keep up with my running which has averaged about 3-4 times per week, although I haven't run since last wednesday.  I'm hoping to get some kind of exercise in when DH gets home tonight, but I'm not sure about running because I would like to get a run in early tomorrow and 13 hours between runs seems a little short.  I really need to give myself more time for longer runs if I am going to be anywhere near ready for a half in August or a 10K in May for that matter, but I haven't actually registered for anything yet so I don't feel quite so much pressure.  Maybe I should just sign up already so I feel like I really have to be ready. 

Have any of you Wisconsin Dingos done the Cheesehead Run in Hilbert?  That's the half that DH and I are planning to do, but I'm kind of scared to commit to both of us doing the half and leaving DS and DD with my SIL or MIL if SIL decides to run with us.  I could just do the 5k, but I feel like that would be wimping out.  I think that they would probably be fine for the whole morning and DD is getting a lot better with babysitters (all close family), but we don't see DH's family that often and I just never know how DD will be.  Or maybe I am using my concern for DD as an excuse.  I don't know.

NRR: I am trying to decide which pre-school to register DS for in the fall and I have just been in denial about making this decision.  I really feel like everytime I start to feel really comfortable and confident with one stage of motherhood/child-raising, the next stage starts and I am completely overwhelmed again.

Ok, this time I promise not to just disappear.  You really seem like a great group of women and I need all the inspiration I can get smile.gif

#422 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM

jaygee~Happy anniversary, and happy bday to K!

jo~yikes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post

I wish I was one of those people that can get up insanely early and bust out a great workout before the rest of the world is awake. But hell no!!!!! Love my sleep lol.

yeahthat.gif
I just can't do it, either. I would really like to take advantage of the fact that DS is out of town and go to spin class before class tomorrow and Wednesday, but let's be realistic...am I really going to get up that early and give up an extra hour and a half of sleep?! bag.gif

Cooking advice needed....I made the paella recipe from the latest Runners World last night, and it was really good. Great flavor, super easy. BUT my rice didn't cook, even though I let it go at least an extra 20 minutes to half an hour. There was still plenty of liquid. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it was brown rice (even though that's what the recipe called for). I remember going to a friend's house for paella last summer and she used brown rice with similar results. It's not inedible, just kinda crunchy, which is not exactly the texture desired, ya know? Thoughts/ideas on how to avoid crunchy rice if I make it again?

I really, really need to get my taxes done today. So I can fill out my FAFSA. So I can complete my financial aid application for the summer. Blech. I don't wanna. Not least of which is because I'm likely to owe at least a hundred or so to the state, and I may owe federal, too, since it's not my year to claim DS. All I really want to do, though, is take a nap this afternoon. I still may. Hmm. We'll see...

I took advantage of not having to take DS to school at 12:45 to hit up the noon spin class. I was all excited because it's taught by my favorite instructor, who I haven't been able to take her class in MONTHS. I get to the Y, and she's walking out. I was like, wait, where are you going?! Turns out it's her kids' spring break, so we had a sub. Who is my least favorite instructor. I gotta give him some major props, though, for serious improvement. He played decent music, had pretty good variety, and I wasn't bored like I always used to be!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#423 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann15 View Post
I think that they would probably be fine for the whole morning and DD is getting a lot better with babysitters (all close family), but we don't see DH's family that often and I just never know how DD will be. 

Any chance of a few visits between now and then to get your DD more used to your MIL? It sounds like it would be a fun race, and you might be kicking yourself if you do the 5k while your SIL and DH do the half! Unless it sells out early, you could always train as if you are going to the half.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#424 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Gaye ~ Hmmmm.... brown rice tends to be a little crunchier than white.  I made the same recipe and it turned out fine, but there was no liquid left in the pot.  Did you have the lid on? 

Welcome back Ann!

I bought myself a pair of spinning shoes today since my cycling shoes have Speedplay cleats and the spin bikes are all SPD.  They're pretty snappy.

DD2 wants to go out and ride her bike, which requires me running alongside her.  She doesn't know how to stop or turn yet, but she's a master of the straightaway!  This will be my my running for today.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#425 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Yep, I had the lid on. I didn't want to let it cook any longer than it already had since the peas were already starting to look not-so-green. I didn't want the shrimp to get all rubbery, either. It's probably an altitude thing...I have issues with rice and altitude. rolleyes.gif

So, after spending an hour and a half with TurboTax, I gave up and called the CPA. It's not looking good...my initial TT estimates were that I'm going to owe over $2500. yikes.gif Which really sucks. So, it will be worth it to pay the CPA $250 to see if he can get that down a bit. I think part of it is because I couldn't figure out how to take the Head of Household credit but not take DS as a dependent. Still probably going to owe a significant amount, though. greensad.gif Here's hoping Mr. CPA can save me some $$$...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#426 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Ann, I was going to respond before, but wasn't logged in and had to run, so...where are you, exactly? I haven't run the Cheesehead, but Hilbert is really close to where I'm from. I can't imagine it's a terribly interesting half for support or scenery, just farm fields and...other farm fields, really. When is it? If I'm still around, maybe I could do the 5k. But I'd say do the half. Take the risk. Kids will be just fine.

I did half an hour on the arctrainer this am, then lifted, then walked the track with my sister for half an hour or so. Feels so good to be back.

Got more info on the neighborhood death. Apparently 2 people are in custody for beating a third man to death. Details forthcoming, but the news report said 3 children under 12 were at the scene. greensad.gif

#427 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM

jo - greensad.gif how awful.

Ok here is my race report...I hope I can make it somewhat concise!

Oakland Half Marathon - 2nd annual.

I felt that I could have used maybe 3-4 more weeks of training time. I feel better now than I ever have running, but I worked so hard over the winter just building a good base (getting my 5k time down) that by the time I woke up and realized I had a race to train for, I did not have enough time left on the calendar. However, for those who know me, y'all know I run slow redface.gif I could not imagine NOT beating my time from last year, but still...I was not overconfident. For this training cycle I only ran up to 10 miles. I would have liked to get one 12-13 miler in there before tapering but it was what it was.

On to the race....this was FUN. It was fun last year, even though I was hurting with shin splints pretty good. The race grew this year, so I was hoping it would still be fun and not too crowded, and it was. There were 4500 or so half marathoners - we started at 9am, a good 1.5 hours behind the marathoners. I put myself in the back, where I belong - ha!- but I did spend a lot of that first mile feeling a little stunted by everyone's slow pace and walking etc.

About mile 3 my legs started to ache, and I thought "oh boy, this is going to be a long race!" I don't know why I felt fatigued so early, but I was confident I would find my groove eventually. I did, but it came and went.

The best part of this race is just the random diversity of people along the route. If anyone knows Oakland, you know that we get kind of a bad rap. There are good reasons for that, but this course fearlessly takes you through the whole diverse landscape of Oakland, no sugar coating here. I think that's what makes it have such a good vibe. The police dept were out to keep everything safe and they were really into it, cheering on the runners. The other highlight was the Oakland Fire Dept. One firehouse had their guys lined up, maybe 8 strong, for a high-five line (pretty much only the ladies participated - me included). Anytime I saw a OPD or OFD that had their hand up for a high-five, I weaved my way over there and high-fived them all.

When we went through Chinatown, it was surreal. I could smell the chinese incense burning and also saw a group of elders doing tai chi in a park, completely oblivious to the all the race hustle going on around them.

After that, we went through a lower income area and there were four women standing on a corner singing gospel a capella and clapping. It took everything I had not to just stop and clap for a few minutes! Next up was another lower income area but one that is being redeveloped, so more renovated homes/buildings. There were two great aid stations along this stretch both with music playing. My favorite was near a restaurant called Brown Sugar Kitchen. They coupled with a low rider bike frame company and put up a tent with a DJ spinning music while they handed out, I kid you not, the BEST blonde brownie I think I have ever had. In this pic, they are handing out granola bars, but that was before the slow people trotted through and by then it was brownies!

So, as I approached the brownie plate the DJ was spinning some funky music so I danced a little bit while picking up my brownie. I mean, I NEEDed that brownie, but I was having so much fun, that I thought the extra burst of energy was worth it smile.gif

Moving on...I was running alongside a tall, athletic african-american man who was kind of giving random shout outs and encouraging words to people around him. Like, if a woman passed him and had on a pink shirt, he'd be like "Alright - pink shirt lady, IN the HOUSE" I thought he was kind of fun to hang with for a bit (approaching mile 8) and boy was I glad to hit the Oakland Raider Nation fans with that guy! They also had music playing and it was something funky like "Brick House" so as he and I lined up to give them high-fives, we kind of slowed down to boogie a little bit with them as we passed. One of the fans was in a big old gorilla suit, so we danced with him for a few seconds. LOL

As I turned the corner near the lake in the center of our city, I saw my husband and kids - it was like a burst of energy. I literally threw my hands up in the air and shouted "WOOO!" and then did an airplane weaving thing as I ran up to them. (That burst of energy also cost me later). I gave the kids the other half of my brownie that I didn't eat, because I thought I might hurl if I ate it all, and kissed/hugged them all and went on my way.

As we all went into the lake area, there is a band shell there where a 12 piece brass band was playing with a rather fabulous male baton twirler out in front! As I passed I saw the sign "San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Freedom Band" They were so great!

Alrighty then, heading for the home stretch, feeling some pain, I finally bring myself to look at my garmin at mile 11. Sh-t - I have to run the next two miles in 20 minutes, something I can't even do under normal circumstances, surely not after running 11 miles right prior! Ah well, the big burly motorcycle cop with Lady Gaga blaring from his bike and the woman holding the sign that said "WINNING" made me laugh and think - "just do it already!"

I did not make it in 2:30 like i had hoped, but rather 2:34:57. By my watch, though, I ran 13.34 miles in that amount of time! Ha - too much fun running around and dancing I suppose.

The massage tent, (conveniently run by my new chiro/ART person) was like HEAVEN. You could also get two free drinks: beer, wine or champagne. I had to pass because I needed to drive to my kids' track meet right after, but I really wanted a mimosa!

So, I ended up shaving 11 minutes off my last time at the Oakland Half. Happy with that!

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies! Dingos rock!

tjsmama likes this.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#428 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Awesome, poppy! clap.gif That sounds like SO much fun!!!

#429 of 511 Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 PM

some of the race photos are up - i look like a dork in my compression sleeves, but i love those things!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#430 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 AM

That was an AWESOME race report Poppy!!!  Fantastic!!

My hip pain originally started on the back of my iliac crest.  I now have pain in the smiley ligament in front, but more toward the left (where the old hip injury) is.  I am noticing some improvement in the smiley ligament - I think probably just a function of reduced miles compared to before the Goofy.  I was doing 40+ mile weeks, sometimes 50+, and now I'm in the 20's.

If I wanted to do something like Team in Training for a race, are there other groups that do a similar thing...help you fund raise and also train?  I want to figure out how to do it by participating with one of those groups and then ultimately figure out how to harness that for needy causes locally.

#431 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 AM

bbm - there are many fundraising groups - looking at one of the websites for a bigger marathon you can usually find a charity list and then you could check out different ones.  In the Chicago area at least, there are both national and local organizations.  I really enjoyed training with a group when I did Team in Training, and they have a lot of coaching experience, but they are geared more towards beginners and folks who just want to finish - although there are usually some more serious runners as well.  With the fundraising, I chose to raise only the fundraising amount, and paid my own hotel/travel expenses, though, as I would have felt guilty fundraising that.

Received a lovely tech T-shirt, some lip balm, shot blox, and electrolyte tabs from my secret sprinter today!   I'm going to run in the new shirt in a few minutes!

#432 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 AM

Great race report and photos Poppy!

Laborious 3 miles this morning...ah, well. Listening to some tunes on youtube before work. Hoping for a better day. Starting Othello with my Shakespeare group...should be interesting.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#433 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Great RR Jen!! That race sounds like a blast! I had to laugh about the guy shouting out encouragement - I would love to have that very guy to run near, how fun. Some people are just naturals at being fun and cool and funny all at the same time. And your race pic is great. Those compression socks make you look like a pro!

Jo, what!? That is awful! What terrible news.

Gaye - Sorry to hear about your taxes )-: I hope that CPA can find something in there to bring that number down. And was it your grandma visiting you? She looks so young on your pics from FB.

Gotta get back to work - so much stuff to do before my dad arrives tomorrow. Oh, and guess what! I am going to see Prince tomorrow night! I heartbeat.gif Prince.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#434 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Wonderful race report, Poppy!  That sounds like a really fun race with a great vibe.

DD2 was up all night coughing.  We spent at least 2 hours laying on the bathroom floor with the shower running hot, breathing steam.  Unfortunately, both DD1 and DS were sounding pretty congested this morning, so I fear this crud is making the rounds.  DD2 is staying home from preschool today, so obviously, no running, cycling or swimming planned.

Mamas, DD1 broke my heart last night.  I felt like I made her a fantastic birthday ~ Science Center on Saturday with a friend which included a trip to Build-a-Bear where she got to make a stuffed dog.  Special time with me yesterday morning just cuddling and talking about the day she was born.  Cupcakes brought to school for her classroom.  Presents last night set up all over the house like a giant scavenger hunt.  Her requested dinner and more cupcakes last night.  So at bedtime, I'm laying with her and talking about her birthday and she says, "I didn't get very many presents."  W.T.F.?????  She got a new bike, a bike helmet, a book, two shirts, a gift card, a photo collage I made for her, and a make your own bulletin board craft.  Plus a box from my Mom with HA clothes, and a card from my brother with a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble.  How ungrateful!  How bratty!  How rude!  How hurtful!  Have I really raised such a selfish, self-centered, entitled monster????  I went to bed crying last night, feeling like I've created a bottomless pit of "gimmeee" in this child.  DH was not at all supportive of me.  In fact, he just kept defending DD saying, "she's only 7" and telling me how badly I made HER feel.  Apparently, he never got what HE wanted for his birthdays when he was growing up.  For Pete's sake, she wanted a DOG!  I'm not getting a dog.  She wanted pierced ears.  I don't think she's old enough.  If she's like this at 7, I'm terrified of how she'll be at 14.  I'm just so sad that my child didn't see any of the love I poured into her day and is totally focusing on what she didn't get.

#435 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM

Ahhh, JayGee, sorry on account of both the lost workouts and the less-than-stellar end to the b-day.  I got halfway through your description and was thinking that I bet "I didn't get very many presents" translates as "I didn't get what I hoped to get."  Indeed, I read her statement as an expression of not getting the dog or pierced ears, not as being ungrateful for the gifts she did get.  It is hard for a lot of people (not just kids!) to focus on what was there and not what didn't turn up. Can you put an age (one your willing to stick with) on when she will be old enough for pierced ears?  I allows you to say "not right now, but at a determined time in the future."  :hugs

Awesome half Jen!!

Dealing with the after effects of a second night with insomnia here...  Argh. 

Anyone seen Race to Nowhere?  It's coming to the middle school here -- tickets are $11.50.  Youzers.

#436 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM

JayGee - first hugs to you....I think what your dh may have been saying was that she is only 7 (he muddied it by talking about never getting what he wanted at 7).  In that moment, in the quiet of the day after it's all over, when all the presents are opened, all the activities complete, there is a let down.  A sadness that there isn't more.  That can be confused with I didn't get very many presents, as opposed to, I won't be getting any more presents.  She may not be "gimee" but more struggling to cope with the post excitement let down. 

If you are really worried about her being materialistic I would start conversations about practicing being content.  When dd was 7 she desperately wanted a 2nd AG doll, to the point she was making her life and everyone elses life around her miserable.  I asked her how she felt when she focused on the doll she had. She got this dreamy look and started talking about what she did with the doll, what she liked about the doll, etc.  Then I asked her how she felt when she thought about the AG doll she wanted.  Her demeanor immediately changed and she became agitated and irritable. I asked her to compare the emotions and she quickly got that when she only thought about what she wanted, and not about what she already had, she was miserable.  So, I told her you can spend your life always focusing on what you want and what you don't have and be miserable, or you can think about what you *do* have and enjoy the blessings that are already yours.  So, now, when she gets caught up in the consumerism or materialism that some of her friends live we just go back to that example. She's 8 now and she's better able to manage that sense.  She still wants lots of things and at times is disatisfied with what she has, but then aren't we all sometimes?  She's not bratty or ungrateful, but she is 7 and maturing and here is an opportunity to learn.  If not getting the dog is what really bummed her out, what a perfect example of how the wanting of a dog led her to miss out on the joy of the gifts she received.  Dd here wants another dog too, but we talk a lot about why not.  I did get her ears pierced, but only after I felt she was mature enough, and honestly I should've waited another year - but again we talked about what it took to be ready.  And sometimes it is as simple as "I'll know when you're ready, I know that is frustrating for you, but I promise soon as I think you are ready we'll x,y,z."

I hope that helps.  Hugs to you and your daughter.

#437 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

kerc - I like the idea of having my oldest as an RP on the bike. Gotta get her out and practicing without those training wheels wink1.gif And yay for your SIL

geo - I love that picture of the mudroom. We have a closed in porch, but it is not insulated or level. I would love to re-build it, with hardwood to match our kitchen and insulate it. We actually had a sunroom guy come over once and quote us a price, but it was pricey. Still, it would be so nice... Currently, we use some cubbies that we bought from a daycare going out of business and a shoe rack and we use those to store all the kids clothes. I had to bring in the cubbies for the winter though because clothes were still piling in the kitchen/dining area.

Gaye - you reminded me that I need to fill out my FAFSA too. I also need to call my public health contact to find out if I can work this summer. Then I would finish the written and presentation part in the fall when I will be very pregnant. It's so funny that I applied for this masters program pregnant with DD1 and will finish pregnant with DC4!

jo - that is awful about the beating.

poppy - that race sounded like so much FUN

jaygee - sorry you feel that way about your DD1. Hopefully it is just her age. It sounds like you did a lot of nice things and hopefully she does appreciate it and just said the wrong thing.

Well, I have been MIA for a little while, but following along. Pregnancy is getting the best of me. I think there might be two in there. I had betas drawn yesterday and they were fairly high - 22,500 at 6w3d. I go for an ultrasound this Friday to make sure everything is a-ok. I haven't been doing a whole lot of running, partly due to the crummy feelings, but a large part is the fact that DH is never home. He thinks I should get up at 5 and go running. HA HA. Not only can I not drag myself out of bed, but it is freezing and dark at 5 still. He says the gym is warm. I don't wanna run 6 miles on the tm! waaaah! OK, whining done. I'll try to participate more here with you lovely ladies.

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#438 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Hugs, JayGee. I think BBM and Geo are right on. I get that feeling about my kids too sometimes. I think it might be time, in our pre-Passover cleaning, for a major de-clutter/donation of toys we don't use very much anymore. My kids are hoarders and find it immensely difficult but I think it is a necessary and positive thing to think about paying it forward with what we do have.

Maybe as part of her turning 7 (post birthday?) you can also do something like that --"wow, you received some beautiful new things. It's time to go through what we have and see if we can find some things to pass on to kids who don't have as much." You both might find it cathartic and helpful.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#439 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM

JayGee, I am sure others have good ideas to add to this, but nothing has helped my daughter be more appreciative than serving meals at the mission.   We go twice a month on a schedule (I would like to go more, but it is what we can do) and she gets to do a lot of work there.  She's also in charge of spending our Pantry Money every pay period.   We get $200 for groceries every pay period and she gets $20 of that to spend on goods for the food pantry.  She has gotten really good at picking things out, from good deals to treats, and keeping it in her budget.   It has been a great experience for my 8 year old.  

No RR here.  Biking and lots of walking.  I've been doing really well eating.  Bec- how are you?  I didn't really do SB this time, but I am doing SB + BEANS!  I am feeling good and not craving junk, so I will call it a win for now.  Maybe someday I can have carbs and not turn into a monster.  

#440 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Oh, so sorry for your sadness JG! You did a fan-dang-tastic job on that birthday!! She will remember it, and all the love that you put into her birthday, that is just a huge part of what makes you such a great mom. She knows no other way! It reminds me of DD1's friend whose parents both give her money for her birthday. She always has plenty of cash, but never has dinner or cake with her family, no presents to open, no trips or outings... kinda empty. I talked to my DD1 about that, since she is at the age where material things are becoming very important - the right shoes, bag, jeans, ipods, etc., and even she admitted that she prefers the fuss and fun over the cold hard cash solution for birthdays.

And what BBM said really sums up my thoughts on it, too: using it as a learning experience for the "gimmee" that we all have inside of us; learning to live with unmet desires; that she won't be way worse at 14, she'll be way better able to handle those feelings; the natural let-down after a party or gifts or any kind of special day, etc. You did a great job, and she looks like an incredible kid (FB pics!) and everything probably looks better today. hug2.gif

And I'm totally with you on the earring-thing. DD2 is still healing from our own little earring-related adventure. eyesroll.gif

Geo: That movie looks very interesting. I'd love to see it.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#441 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

I think there might be two in there.

bigeyes.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#442 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM

Thank you all so, so much grouphug.gif.  As always, the collective Dingo wisdom really helps me to put things into perspective.  I think a huge part of the problem is that Kay's best friend from across the street had her birthday last Monday and got a TON of stuff.  Seriously.  A new bike, and pierced ears, and a betta fish, and a bunch of other stuff too.  Her friend is 2 years older, and their family just has "more".  In fact, I have to remember to check my own "big green monster" at the door when I go over there because I covet SO much of what they have!  It's hard.

Geo ~ my Mom and brother saw that movie and both found it very interesting.  My brother teaches biology in an inner city high school and found that the movie's focus was more a suburban issue thean an urban one.

MM ~ sorry to hear the pregnancy is kicking your butt.  Hope your u/s goes well!

#443 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM

I do better at posting when I'm actually running...

MM- Thinking of you and the U/S. And I hope your first trimester blah's pass soon.

poppy, your race sounds amazing and so much fun!

Geo, I'm coveting your mud-room. From your description/logistics, I agree that a living-room entry would work better.

JayGee, I have nothing to ad to the amazing advice that you had about your DD's birthday reaction, but really appreciate the perspective of all of the dingos.

jo- Scary to hear about violent crimes- I hope the children are okay!!

And to everyone with hip issues- I'm on team stupid hip. I haven't run in almost a week, and my last run was of the limp home variety. I've had hip issues since my pregnancy with DD2, and have been procrastinating working on much of a fix when I'm still doing so much up/down toddler carrying (often on my hip). I had quite a bit of "exercise" ;) at home this weekend that seems to have made things worse, so I'm on the hunt for the right person to work with me on it. I've done chiro in the past, but have been unimpressed with the chiros I've found locally. Likewise with my local physio options. Massage has helped in the past, but only for symptom relief, not fixing. There is a sports medicine doctor nearby, but he has some personality issues that I can't get past (I have an easier time accepting it when a doctor in their 60s insists on being called "doctor", but really can't take it from a guy in his 30s). My ideal practitioner is someone who can assess it and help to develop some exercises/stretches to work with on my own for a couple of weeks. I have a pretty strong feeling that I need to find the right person to work with me, and that my current physio/chiro/massage options aren't it. I have an e-mail to a yoga teacher who sometimes does individual consults/sessions, and then just remembered about the acupunturist that worked with DH last spring. I chose the acupuncturist online, and had a very strong intuitive feeling that he was the *right* person to work with DH. And I was right. He's also an akido teacher and integrates that into his bodywork/practice. I have a good feeling that the right "healer" is going to present to me soon, which sounds a bit flaky, but I've had good luck following my intuition in the past. My other thought is that I need to get myself into the pool, but haven't found the opportunity yet- hoping for Wed/Thurs.

I am going to try for boot camp tonight, since the trainer is pretty good about modifying the workout for injuries if needed. And because if I don't start exercising more soon, I'm going to have to drastically cut down on the amount that I'm eating. I'd prefer to exercise....

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#444 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

I'm also on team stupid hip! I think it's about my choice of seating at home, and I am trying to change some habits, but mine hurts at night when I am trying to fall asleep.

RR: 45min on the elliptical and some yoga today. And poppy, what an awesome race. thumb.gif

JayGee, it has happened to me, too, and it breaks my heart. At the same time, I know my kids aren't totally materialistic and consumer-driven. That said, it is constant work and diligence for me, too, so of course it must be some kind of struggle for them. Hugs, anyway.

Totally OT: I am fuming. The neighbor is (apparently) trying to get out of paying his half for the well repairs. Our decisions to 1) disinfect and 2) replace the pump were not only within our rights but were also a part of our obligation, as per the agreement, to provide safe, potable water to both residences. Neighbor's obligation to pay exactly half of all costs are explicitly stated in the shared agreement. He is claiming he didn't know we had acquired the property and taken on the agreement. He has *been* in our basement since we moved in, when his pipes froze and he thought we had shut him off. So that's complete BS. So now we're faced with the choice to litigate (no time and that would muck up the selling timeline) or void the agreement and shut him off (could be a legal problem). rant.gif Do we shut him off and when he comes to the door to tell us to turn his water on, demand the $900 he owes us before turning the spigot back on?

#445 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Jo, is there any way that you could just mention the option of taking him to small claims court? Maybe he would pay up then. I agree - don't mess up the timeline for selling or anything, but you are personally out 900 bucks because he didn't uphold his side of an agreement. Or do you have any lawyer friends who would write him a letter about how you are turning it over to them, kind of like his last chance to pay up, or else.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#446 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Edited because this posted as one long run on insane post! WTH where are my paragraphs!!!!

Hi Mamas.

Was at work until 1AM last night so took it slow on my run today. The reality of this week is definitely not going to match up with my vision of what that reality should be. Did 8 relaxed miles at about 10:30 pace, and did my abs and core workout. Felt good, but drained still. I probably won't get to run the next couple days so am hoping to be more rested by Friday and Saturday's LR.

Mamas who do strength stuff: Does it take a long time for arm strength to build in comparison to the abs? I feel huge improvements in core strength, not so much in the upper body, and wonder if this is normal. Its not like I am starting off very strong in the upper body, but sheesh, I'm pitiful.

NRR I have a wedding to go to in a month and have a beautiful dress that I am going to wear. Just ordered a bunch of shoes to try on with the dress and hope one pair works. They are set to arrive today - been stalking the order and its driving around town on a delivery truck. I'm so excited, haven't had a reason to dress up in about 10 years. I feel like I am waiting for some sort of shoe Labor to start LOL

Geo, like the photo. I think having spaces to put stuff away in that can be closed up is so key. Then you can physically contain the clutter and make it go away for as long as you need. You guys are going to have an amazing trip! I'm Jealous. Mr. Dingo gets a work benefit of free travel and lodging for him and the family to a country of his choice (as long as it is a new country that he hasn't visited). Were thinking of going to Hungary, lots of history and castles. It would be next summer and I think the kids would have a blast.

Hey Penelope!!!

Mel do you make bread "Freehand" (don't even know the right word for this duh) or use a bread machine? I make the worst bread, would make a hideous wife in the fertile crescent days of old, and my kids are now resigned to eating the slices of thick glop that I produce for them, sigh. I admire people who have the skills! Also, my friend Karen, was a waitress at a very upscale hotel in Minneapolis where Prince and his Girlfriend were having a party for her and she met him. She said he was very quiet, polite, and shy. Awwww. Have fun at the show!

Ann15 Hey! I'm in Wisconsin too, in Madison. I think you should definitely go for the half. It is still a long time away, and in kid development time, so much can happen in regards to confidence and ability to stand separation. Also, it sounds like this is something you'd really like to do for yourself, and I think you deserve to do it. Remember, the race would take about 2-3 hours of your time, during which your kids would probably be snacking and hanging out at a park, right? As far as the running 3-4 times a week. I think that is a great amount. Until last fall, when my youngest finally went to preschool 3 mornings a week, that was my max amount of running - and it got me through lots of training and (slow and happy) marathons. I think training for a half on that sort of schedule is doable. If your body feels great 12 hours after you run, go for it. There's the mental health aspects of the runs too, even if that second run isn't getting you superbly trained, it might be making you feel better. Anyway don't be hard on your self! It sounds like you are managing a ton of stuff gracefully.It is so hard carving out time for your own needs and wants isn't it?

Gaye, what if you tried a different type of brown rice. I use brown basmati a lot and it seems to be functional even though Mr Dingo Bitches about it. It does cook longer but ends up almost fluffy and not so chewy and gloppy.

Poppy, loved the race report. Loved that you had a dance partner, loved that you rocked the Blondie, loved that there was a brass band. You looked so happy in those photos. Wish I was there with you! Also, you say you love your crazy knee socks. Should I get a pair? I heard they are great for recovery but am having a hard time getting past the aesthetics (which I realize is totally lame). Probably would be good for LRs huh?

BBM I have a friend who just comes up with causes independently and then raises the $ for them each year in conjunction with a race. Do you know anyone locally who would go in with you?

Nic, did you run with the group this AM? I love that I can imagine you with your people. LOVE it. Sorry it wasn't a fabulous run. Tomorrow, right?

JayGee - that totally sucks. I hate when that happens. I would have been so mad. You know, kids live totally in the moment. I always have to remind myself of that when I find myself getting pissed at my daughters about them not being appreciative of something. But I do think it is true, they aren't looking at their emotions in the context of the larger event, they are just focused on what is happening right there, right now. I think you are right on with the comparisons with her friend. I bet once you do that giant cleansing breath and let your emotions go, you will be able to make a great teaching moment for her.

OMG Motivated Mama, you have a LOT going on woman! I hope you feel much better very soon!!!!!!!

Nemesis, isn't it totally cool how the way we eat has such a huge impact. I finally figured out that I need to eat something substantial every 4 hours. Since I have started doing that, I have become way less evil LOL

Jo, is saying F it and just sucking it up a financial option? It sounds like dealing with this either way is going to be a hassle with tons of stress and negative energy that you don't need or want. You're going to move and not see this dude again. It sounds like he is a Butt and not likely to change any day. What would the price be to make it worth it to make it just go away? I'm sorry you have to deal with this, like you need this additional hassle right now. Wah.

Gotta go shower! Won't be on for a couple days probably but see you Friday!!! Have great runs. ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#447 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM

ND, somehow you know me too well. wild.gif Fact is, we've already paid the bills in full, and if we don't get the cash and have no real recourse, well then it's done, isn't it?...But at the same time I think the Butt is part of a sense of Heavy connected with this place, iykwim. And I wonder whether severing the agreement would free the space of his Butt-ness and make it a better home for future owners.

That said, Mel, I looked up the lawyer referral hotline and left a msg with an attorney. If it's a couple hundred bucks to get the shared well agreement off the property title policy, that's probably money well spent.

I am not confrontational, these people have only been decent neighbors to the extent that they're mostly absent, and the murder in my parents' hood has me on edge some.

#448 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM

mel~lol.gif No, that's my mom, not my grandma. Although my grandma is fairly young looking, too, she was practically a baby when my mom was born! orngtongue.gif

bbm~Once again, I am in awe of your wisdom. I need to tuck that away for *when* a similar situation comes up with DS. I'm pretty sure it will, seeing as how we've had several conversations already about wanting things and "just buying" them.

jo~I am extremely irked.gif on your behalf. I would probably just shut him off, but maybe that's my passive-aggressive side coming out. bag.gif

After whining here yesterday about how I hate to get up in the morning, guess what I did today? Dragged myself out of bed BEFORE FIVE. Voluntarily. To go to spin class at the Y before class. I'm pretty impressed with myself, actually. orngbiggrin.gif It was a really good class, too, and I made a new friend who just signed up for her first tri. I'm almost tempted to go back on Thursday, even though I don't have class. I said almost. I do love having my workout done that early, but I think I'll take advantage of my last day to sleep in before DS comes home!

Back to class this morning, and it actually wasn't that bad. It's amazing what a difference good teachers make! lol.gif Two of our favorite previous instructors are team teaching this class, which pretty much rocks. The four hours this morning pretty much flew by, and I wasn't even on Facebook at all! shy.gif It's so weird being done at noon, after last block's 8 hours of class a day. I had a meeting, and then an appointment, and was STILL home by 3! In fact, I do believe it may be time to take a nap now!

#449 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Motivated Mama--Two?  Really?  Congratulations!  I hope you're feeling healthy and as energetic as possible.

JenLove--It sounds like you're doing well, too.  I'm glad to hear it.

Jo--I would tend to shut the guy off, but I'm like that.  Actually, my brother and sister-in-law are both trial lawyers who like nothing better than to write nasty and threatening letters to people who are being unfair, so that would be my first line of defense.

Poppy--That was one awesome race report!  It sounds like it was an incredibly fun run, and you made the most of the experience.  I love the pictures, too--you look fantastic!  I look like death when I'm running and always try to duck and avoid the photographers.

JayGee--I'm sorry about your DD and the birthday situation.  I remember being really disappointed as a kid the evening of my birthday and Christmas, no matter what I'd actually received.  I hope your DD snaps out of it and you don't take it too personally.  BBM, you have some awesome advice that I will remember when my kids get to this point.

Thanks for the input on my dreadful wedding shower experience.  I really think of myself as a good person, interesting to talk to and easygoing, but then I get into one of these situations and I'm brought right back to those hideously awkward middle school and high school moments.  Ack.

I've been feeling kind of crummy the last couple of days so haven't been out on the roads.  I've been doing stuff around my house, though, so at least I'm being productive.  At the moment I'm repairing screens, which is a gigantic pain.  The previous owners had a dog who scratched holes in most of the screens, and we have far too many bugs in the house in the summertime.  I've been sewing patches onto all of our screens, which I find tedious and annoying.  I'm almost done, so at least that's good.  I've also started raking madness: spring edition.  I've got to clear out all of the leaves I never got around to raking in the fall. 

Today I did get out for a run, though, in between volunteering in DD's first grade class and picking DS up from preschool.  It was just over four miles and felt awful, but I was thrilled when I realized that my new slow pace is about 9:30 miles--half a minute faster than I'd expected!

Tomorrow I hope to do a longish run while DS is at school, before my family descends for pizza and company in the afternoon.  We're also in the beginning stages of planning a Disney trip, which is both fun and stressful for me.

#450 of 511 Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Any of you shaped like me?  According to LandsEnd, my waist is ~ size 8, if I measure my hips like the picture, it's a zero, or if i measure like the words in the description of my hips (at widest point, about 6" down from there...) I'm a 12.  So getting pants that fit my thighs means they're falling off my (actual) hips and waist.  Anyone shaped like that with brands to recommend that actually fit? 

Sorry to whine about losing 15 pounds, but at this point, it's just a problem.

I'll be professing in skirts for the time being.  Blech.  That means I gotta shave tonight. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page