Dingos chasing the March hare - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good luck Nic, i hope the weather stays away from you!

~maddymama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM

Hopefully those storms are long gone by now, nic! goodvibes.gif

drjen, your day makes me feel dizzy.gif just reading about it! Holy cow!

I slept in a little this morning, just because I could. I was going to head out for a run when I got myself around, and of course the wind started howling again. I am so over this wind. It's ridiculous. 40 mph gusts. And it's becoming kind of normal. irked.gif I decided that I was NOT going to fight the wind, so I dragged myself to the Y instead. For a swim. faint.gif Yes, that's right a swim. I wasn't sure I still knew how, considering that the last time I was in the pool was at my last tri, in AUGUST. redface.gif It actually felt pretty good, and I ended up doing more than I thought I was going to. Which I will probably regret tomorrow, when my arms feel like they're going to fall off. I ended up with 1500 yds, so really, not too shabby!

And now, it's time to shower and change and head off to the CPA, who can hopefully save me lots and lots of money. bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Oh, Jen.  What a day!  I hope you and your daughter are feeling better soon, and hoping for the best for your patients (young and old). 

JG - I definitely understand the need to make changes.  I am sitting here at 37 years old, no job, no career, not even really a desire for one.  I have made strides in recent months to moderate my computer time.  The result is that I am more engaged with my kids, my house is cleaner, and I feel more in touch with life.  And, then I really feel like I enjoy my computer time more when I do get to it. 

I am sore from yesterday's tri workout!  No exercise today, because I took the kids down to Chicago to the Field Museum for the day.  The girls had a great time.  We went and saw the 3D movie about Sue the T-Rex.  It was really cool.  One of the things we learned is that she was injured quite a few times, had a bone infection that she survived, and had something of a hard life.  What was cool was going down to the bones afterwards, and seeing the broken ribs, the hurt leg, the arthritis in it's tail!  I guess I got some activity by walking for several hours with the kids around the museum, but not like a run or anything. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM

So far all is well...some wicked thunderstorms and some twisters a little north of us but nothing here. It was insanity getting all the kids from school home (students).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Good evening!

Welcome, Pepe, to the group!  Jump in anytime to tell us about you!

DrJen--I'm so sorry about your day off.  How is your DD feeling?  Did she even know she had strep?  Hopefully the antibiotics kick in quickly and she's not sick the whole weekend.  It's awful news about the little boy.  If you think of it, let us know what testing finds out about him.  I can't imagine anything scarier than facing a possible cancer diagnosis in one of my kids.  I hope your elderly patient is at peace soon, too, in a way that is okay for her and her family.

Nic--I'm thinking of you and hoping the storms pass you without any major damage.

JayGee--I tend to get sucked into the internet, too, and am actively resisting.  This site, actually, was the major offender for awhile.  On the main board I shrunk down all of the subtopics and have made a plan to always go directly here, instead of cruising through new posts until the dingo thread came up.  I found I was focusing too much on other people's often outlandish situations.  It made me feel crummy in a voyeuristic way and also gave me anxiety reading about the crises other people are in, since there is little to nothing I can do to solve other people's problems.  I've decided to give it a rest for awhile and only come here a couple of times a day to check in.

The thing that most helped was the realization that my kids are really horribly behaved when I get lost on the computer.  They fight like crazy, which is an effective way to get my attention off of the screen, but makes for a very grouchy household.  I need to constantly remind myself that if I get started on the internet, I'm just inviting trouble.  It's still very hard, though, to stay away.

So tonight, the eve of April, we're getting snow.  From 1 AM to 6AM we're at 100% chance of precipitation, with temperatures hovering right around freezing.  It is crazy that I'm thinking we might have a snow day on the first day of April.  Argh!

Today I did manage to run, 6.58 miles in an hour on the treadmill.  I'm feeling faster and faster, and thinking I might register for a local half in October.  I need to look at dates and see what our schedule looks like, but I've heard that it's a nice flat course, so I like the sound of that.  Then I'll need to find an actual training plan.  Thus far my plan has been to leave the house and run for awhile, then come home.  There must be a more scientific and organized way to go about this.

My thoughts are with everyone who needs them; I hope the weekend is good!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Here's to the writer in me. Neighbor received a second letter this afternoon and just stopped in with the first of two checks to pay his portion of the pump responsibility. Which makes the rest of the work and bills less terrible.

RR: Half an hour on the arctrainer, some lifting and some yoga.

And in other news, dh will be leaving Dubai 10 days after we arrive (which is in like 7 weeks) for 2 weeks in Saudi...and then we're going to try and cram in a trip to see the ILs before he has to go back to Saudi for 2 more weeks in July. Which leaves me and kids alone in Dubai for 2 weeks at a time during the summer (when it's 110-120 outside). Deep breaths.

Might try running tomorrow.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM

My little 2 year old patient has leukemia (ALL)/  He was transferred today to Memphis to the St. Jude's hospital for further treatment.  He's 2 1/2, and his mama has 9 month old and 7 yr old daughters as well.  Fortunately, he has the most curable of childhood leukemias - but unfortunately he and his family have a long haul in front of them, and no guarantees.

My 92 yr old opened her eyes today, and is talking some, although she can't move her left side at all.  Her struggle isn't over, either, apparently.  She isn't aware of what has happened to her - but could sure tell me all about how cold my hands were as I examined her this morning!  Her family is struggling.

I'd like to report I had a nice day, but apparently I wasn't crazy enough or something.  My little dd still had a fever today, so I was planning to take her with me to the office and stayed home a little later than usual.  Just as we're getting ready to leave, the phone rings, and caller ID says it's my 13 yr old's school, so I picked up, thinking maybe he was sick now too.  But that would be too easy.  Instead, it was the school secretary telling me I needed to pick him up immediately because he'd just been suspended for 2 days for punching another kid!  Apparently, 2 other kids were following him in the hall joking back and forth about tripping him, and one finally did trip and push him, and he turned around and punched the kid.  It's completely out of character for him to do such a thing, and he was sobbing hysterically when I got to school, and cried through a meeting with the vice principal, and all the way home.  Apparently this was a straw/camel's back kind of situation, and the unfortunate kid who picked today to trip/push him got caught at the wrong time.  Justin has apparently been feeling picked on and harrassed from all angles at school (including the recent teacher situation).  And, our school feels that tripping/pushing deliberately (which apparently these kids have been doing all year, the vice principal tells me) gets you sent back to class and maybe an in-school suspension next week, but retaliating spontaneously gets you suspended out of school for 2 days.  And all kids who are suspended for more than one day are not allowed to go on end of the year trips (including a big 8th grade class trip) or participate in graduation.  Thankfully, my dh drove straight home from work, and spent the day with my sick little kid, and unhappy teenager - and also went to the school to try to address some of our concerns about how unhappy Justin has been.  Clearly, I don't want him hitting people - but on the other hand it seems rather unfair that he gets tossed out of school and the instigators do not.  Plus, he's already struggling with homework, and being out of school 2 extra days, with teachers who tend to be punitive about getting him assignments is not going to help. 

If my kids don't make me crazy, my job will.  Throw in that we made an offer on the Missouri house today, and I may need to be committed soon.  I haven't run since Tuesday, but I'm planning to run tomorrow.  Mama really, really needs a run.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 PM

Oh, DrJen, I'm so sorry about everything.  hug2.gif  I'm sorry about your little patient, and I'm also sorry about your son.  The school is being totally crappy about the way he is being treated, and I hope that if you put up just a bit of fuss, they will realize that.  It's not right that a kid who is being purposefully harassed should be the only one punished for a confrontation.  I'm just so sorry.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Oh, drjen. I am infuriated for your DS. The more stories I hear about things like that, the more depressed I get about the future of public schools. So ridiculous. greensad.gif And some serious goodvibes.gif for your little patient or his family. Not that it makes the treatment any easier, but I was truly astounded at how curable ALL is when we had our lecture about pediatric oncology a few weeks ago. Something like >80%, I think?

jo~clap.gif and joy.gif for getting results from your letter to your neighbor!

I didn't exactly get good news from the CPA, but he at least saved me enough money to more than pay for his fee, and seemed optimistic he'd be able to get the tab down a little more before he was done. So that's something, anyway, right?

And then I had a kind of spontaneous dinner date with a girlfriend. It was awesome. She happened to be on FB this afternoon when I realized that the CPA was right by her house, so I asked if she'd be around. We decided to go grab a glass of wine, and ended up having a couple plus tapas. redface.gif Not that I could really afford it, but it was so worth it for my mental health. Time to pack it in for awhile and eat cheap at home, though!

ETA: Just got off the phone with the CPA, and he got my federal taxes down to less than $300!!!! Happy day!!! joy.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 PM

Trying to keep up here again.

Welcome, Pepe!  I’m another newbie here J

Jooj and ND, I live in Illinois, far west Chicago suburbs, but my DH grew up in Calumet County (his parents moved close to the Upper Peninsula when he was in college) and his sister and a lot of this cousins live in the area, so we thought it would be a fun option for a first half.  It's the last weekend in August.  We will stay with SIL and MIL would probably come down to help watch kids.  We don't get up to visit DH's side nearly often enough and the Cheesehead is a lot cheaper than the longer races near us, so it would be a good two birds with one stone event.

DrJen, I’m sorry for your awful day.  The school seems totally unreasonable punishing the kid who finally had enough, but not the instigators.  Are the kids who were bothering your son considered popular in the school?  When I was in junior high we had some issues like that, but the instigator was the football coach’s stepson so the administration always tried to manage the kids he harrassed instead of him.  I hope things get better all around soon.

JayGee: I was trying to cut way back on my computer time for Lent and I have been failing miserably.  One thing about just checking out online when I need a break is that it’s not a big deal if I get interupted, whereas if I started some other project, the chance of making any kind of real progress before one of my kids needed something would be pretty slim.  But I need to work on this too, because two seconds to check news headlines turns into ten minutes, etc. and pretty soon the day is wasted.

Bec: Sound like a great trip to the Field!  I haven’t been there since the Pompeii exhibit when I was pregnant with DS 5 years ago, but I love that musuem.

RR: 3 miles on the TM Tuesday AM, but nothing since then.  In theory I love getting up early to work out, but nighttime parenting has taken quite a bit out of me lately.  DH is trying help nightwean DD, but she is quite stubborn at times.  I’m planning on a run tomorrow morning, crossing my fingers that DD cooperates.

Sort of RR: I’m reading “The Grace to Race” by the 80-year-old triathlete nun as kind of a running inspiration and Lenten reading.  It definitely puts some of my whining in perspective when I don’t want to work out.  If she was able to start running marathons at 48, I should be able to run at half at 30, right?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Oh, DocJen, I'm sorry.  What a day.

We have had similar situations in school with both of the older kids, both in middle school.  DS hit a kid who had been taunting him all year, then threw his binder (which opened up and spilled his entire years worth of work from all of his classes).  The teacher was in the hallway when it happened.  DS got suspended, the other kid got detention.  And this year, just last week, DD1 pushed a girl who had taken something of hers and was sitting on it.  They are kind of friends, kind of rivals on the soccer field (different teams) and the other girl is the kind who bullies while she sounds like she's joking.  C got a warning that involved writing a report on a safety issue that applied to her life (she did sports concussions), the other girl got.........nothing.  I HATE the fact that bullies get away from this stuff, and part of me applauds my kids for standing up for themselves, even though the physical part of it isn't ok.  

All kind of good thoughts for your little patient, and his entire family.  No one deserves to go through all of that, especially a 2yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post

My little 2 year old patient has leukemia (ALL)/  He was transferred today to Memphis to the St. Jude's hospital for further treatment.  He's 2 1/2, and his mama has 9 month old and 7 yr old daughters as well.  Fortunately, he has the most curable of childhood leukemias - but unfortunately he and his family have a long haul in front of them, and no guarantees.

My 92 yr old opened her eyes today, and is talking some, although she can't move her left side at all.  Her struggle isn't over, either, apparently.  She isn't aware of what has happened to her - but could sure tell me all about how cold my hands were as I examined her this morning!  Her family is struggling.

I'd like to report I had a nice day, but apparently I wasn't crazy enough or something.  My little dd still had a fever today, so I was planning to take her with me to the office and stayed home a little later than usual.  Just as we're getting ready to leave, the phone rings, and caller ID says it's my 13 yr old's school, so I picked up, thinking maybe he was sick now too.  But that would be too easy.  Instead, it was the school secretary telling me I needed to pick him up immediately because he'd just been suspended for 2 days for punching another kid!  Apparently, 2 other kids were following him in the hall joking back and forth about tripping him, and one finally did trip and push him, and he turned around and punched the kid.  It's completely out of character for him to do such a thing, and he was sobbing hysterically when I got to school, and cried through a meeting with the vice principal, and all the way home.  Apparently this was a straw/camel's back kind of situation, and the unfortunate kid who picked today to trip/push him got caught at the wrong time.  Justin has apparently been feeling picked on and harrassed from all angles at school (including the recent teacher situation).  And, our school feels that tripping/pushing deliberately (which apparently these kids have been doing all year, the vice principal tells me) gets you sent back to class and maybe an in-school suspension next week, but retaliating spontaneously gets you suspended out of school for 2 days.  And all kids who are suspended for more than one day are not allowed to go on end of the year trips (including a big 8th grade class trip) or participate in graduation.  Thankfully, my dh drove straight home from work, and spent the day with my sick little kid, and unhappy teenager - and also went to the school to try to address some of our concerns about how unhappy Justin has been.  Clearly, I don't want him hitting people - but on the other hand it seems rather unfair that he gets tossed out of school and the instigators do not.  Plus, he's already struggling with homework, and being out of school 2 extra days, with teachers who tend to be punitive about getting him assignments is not going to help. 

If my kids don't make me crazy, my job will.  Throw in that we made an offer on the Missouri house today, and I may need to be committed soon.  I haven't run since Tuesday, but I'm planning to run tomorrow.  Mama really, really needs a run.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Ugh, DrJ, I'm so sorry about your patient(s). And your son...well...as a teacher that just infuriates me. (Memiles too). As a mom, as well. ugh ugh ugh. I know I teach in an 'alternative' school (i.e. it is public but it is a Montessori charter) and we do things differently. But that sort of situation would *never* pass here. The bully would have been called to the carpet too, big time.

It just makes me want to cry, these soul-damaging experiences kids have in school. I can't stand it. what are we doing to them anyway?!

But as a parent, my husband and I tell our kids...you don't start a fight. But you finish it. I don't want them to feel like victims or believe others can get away with hurting them. I know that doesn't sound very 'peaceful' and I don't condone arbitrary violence. On the other hand you can't go through life feeling unempowered and victimized.

sigh.

5 miles this morning. Last night the storms were pretty intense and there was a period of wicked hail coming down on our roof which freaked. me. out. Thankfully it passed pretty quickly and all is well now. Jeesh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM

drjen, I'm so sorry. greensad.gif Both patients have a lot of painful work ahead, and their families...you're a good doctor. And as for J, I have to say as a kid who got picked on and never retaliated, I felt a twinge of admiration. No, we should not hit people, but if those kids are working a system that favors sneaky bullies (look around--what's the world often like?) and he at least gave one kid a taste of the same pain and humiliation, well...I'd like to think it was a spontaneous display of at-his-wits'-end-self-preservation. Please don't go too hard on him. My dh and I have different ways of dealing with this stuff. Dh wants them to strike once and definitively, and I offer alternatives. Of course, 13 is still a few years off for us. And from my POV, confrontation of any kind gives me IBS, so...love that baby boy of yours.

Ann, PM me and let me know who your dh is? I grew up in Calumet County too, and it's just not that big a place. winky.gif I won't be home in August, but still.

Going to work out, maybe run on the track for part of it, and then I have to take the kids to a farewell lunch at dh's work. This should be the final farewell event. Trying not to get worked up about spending a lot of the summer alone in Dubai with the kids while dh is working in KSA. Hm.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Ann - I'm up in Mundelein, but my parents live in St. Charles.  I grew up in the far west suburbs! 

Jen - I am just about ready to explode for your poor son.  I would definitely be raising holy hell at the school that was so punitive to my child while ignoring the instigator.  Talk about bully winning. angry.gif  And I'm so sorry for your little patient.  What a hard thing to discover.  Wishing health and strength to him and his family.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Thanks for the Reiki, Jen orngbiggrin.gif!

I'm feeling the need to make a major change in my current life.  DH has been going through his journals recently, and last night he was reading through 1997, the year we started dating, and said, "Gee Kristina.  You sure have changed."  And let me just say, I know I have, and not in a good way.  I know children will change us, but it's not just the kids that have changed me.  In 1997, I was very motivated to "do" things ~ quilting, knitting, scrapbooking, reading.  And once we got a computer, all of that went by the wayside.  Hours upon hours, wasted.  It makes me nauseous just to think about it.  I need to get off the computer, not totally, but at least during the times when it impacts my family.  I know it's a huge problem ~ the internet is an escape that I use way too frequently to avoid chores, remove myself from emotions, and basically "check out" for a little bit.  I've tried a million times to "quit", but usually it lasts a day or two at the most.  I'm actually thinking that we should trade our desktop in for a laptop and then I can have DH bring it to work with him each day to remove the temptation.  But is that really treating the problem?  I hate the person I've become, and really want to return to the authentic Kristina who was motivated and creative and involved, but I'm just not sure how.  I do know that I don't want to look back at my life from 30- end and see it as tower of hours, wasted online, involving myself in others' lives rather than living my own.

JayGee--I think about this often and from time to time pull myself away.  At the same time you try to cut back maybe it would be helpful to have a creative project ready to start.

drjen--That's alot to have going on--coould it be mercury in retrograde?  Your patients and children are lucky to have you.

jo--what do you do in that kind of heat?   I hope you are planning to blog about your experience.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

bec, glad that the tornado missed you.

JayGee, I'm also prone to getting sucked in by the computer, and like others have mentioned noticed the bad behaviour and general disharmony that happens around home when I'm distracted. I've been taking one day a week offline, and find it really helpful in breaking the cycle on a regular basis and in making me more mindful of my use of time. The iPhone has been my downfall- internet and email always at my fingertips- so I've made a habit of trying to check it at the door. That said, I love it for the long nursing sessions in the evenings when I can surf the net and be disctracted...

Jen, I'm so sorry about the situation with your son. It must be incredibly frustrating, and I hope that the school takes your family's concerns seriously.

And Paella- was it tjsmama who was looking for a rice solution ages ago? I was making risotto yesterday and remembered the post- I've pre-soaked rice when making paella and had better results. Just like soaking beans over night... And congrats on the taxes, too!!!

RR- Had my private yoga session yesterday and it was amazing. Everything she showed me felt like it was helping my pelvis/hips, and now I just need to put it into practice. There are a lot of straps and blocks involved, and she loaned me all of the props to use for the next few weeks. I have hope that I'll be running again soon!

NRR- All of my students' anxiety has reached an end of term frenzy, and I had several fail an anatomy and physiolgy quiz that I gave on Wednesday.  I emailed a few who are "at risk of failing" to see if they needed any extra suggestions or support before the final exam. One student (who I actually met with earlier this week related to a borderline mark in the lab course that I co-teach) has written me a long response about her participation in the program being her mission from God, and that she knows that she will succeed because he believes in her.  I resent the implication that I give her a failing grade I am doing something against God's will- whether this is what she intended to say or not, it seemed to be part of the subtext. I always struggle with the language around grades anyways- I think of the grades that student's "earn" or "achieve" rather than the grades that I "give". I know the student well enough and I don't think that her intention was to put this on me, but I still had my back up a bit. I've delayed the meeting to discuss this until Monday so that I can be a bit more cool-headed about it. I also know that she's working and studying really hard in the course- so it hasn't all been left in God's hands, and think that I'll focus on that aspect instead...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Hi Pepe, welcome!

drJen, I am so sorry about all that your son is going through right now. I am sure that you are giving him all the input he needs to process this from a personal standpoint, but what a drag that the school has chosen to handle the public aspect so poorly. What are they teaching administrators these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post I think of the grades that student's "earn" or "achieve" rather than the grades that I "give".

... amen to that.

Nic, glad you & your family are safe.

Gaye, whew! What a relief not to have that looming tax bill! Great job on the swim!

Jo, He paid up! Awesome! So, about the summer weeks without DH... are you guys living in some kind of an apartment complex or housing area with a pool and some kind of facilities? I bet you and the kids will meet up with others really quickly.

Yesterday was downer: fighting with my kids, long hours in the car, everyone was unhappy about something, didn't eat enough to give me energy to deal with things... It was one of those days when I could have cried with joy when I finally got to lay down and go to bed! Today was great, though. I took my dad, who is visiting, to downtown Charleston for a field trip with DD's class and had lunch at a nice french bistro that I love(Gaulart & Maliclet cafe, or Fast and French, anyone know it?) then saw dolphins at the waterfront before heading back home. Now I have a few hours of peace and quiet before the dinner rush.

So, guess what I'm doing at the crack o'morning tomorrow! Picking up Jen (poppywise) for the Cooper River Bridge Run!! I am so excited! Can't wait to get all my stuff sorted out for tomorrow. I am running easy this year - no PRs, just to have fun, finish and be kind to my knees. smile.gif I did enjoy that last long run at an easy pace SO much, that I might have to do that more often! And maybe me and Jen can grab a bite of lunch after the race! Weather is excellent, and downtown is jam-packed with athletic looking people. This is gonna be fun!! biggrinbounce.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Serial posting...

I need some ideas for healthy, preferably vegetarian options for snack foods for a 5 year-old's birthday party. Doesn't have to be too substantial, but something I can make at home that will be fun and healthy. Any ideas?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Hi Guys,

It sounds like several have had a crazy day.

So sorry. Dr. Jen, ugh, you must be so frustrated. Are you saying that he can't go to graduation, and on his class trip? How horrible. Was the VP receptive to your husbands concerns?

Nic I'm glad all is OK and your roof didn't blow away! I bet it felt good to run off some of that stress. I wish more students could have a teacher like you!

Jo yay, I am so happy the guy decided to get with the program. One less stress. So, will you have a TM in Dubai? It sounds like you might have some "Mama needs a run" days! 2 weeks is a long time when you are in a new place.

Mel good luck with that student. At least it sounds like she has been trying in the class!

MeMiles, I hope your leg feels better soon. I'm sad for you that yo are hurting :(

Ann15, that sounds like a great 2 birds/1 stone. Hope you get time and space to have a few nice runs in the next few days!!!!

Pepe. Welcome, this is an amazing group!

Lala, yay for you! check out Hal Higdon's site, I think he has a half training plan. His plans are very moderate and do-able for people with a life outside of running.

JayGee, I used to get sucked into the internet all the time. Now I don't, I have the opposite problem LOL no time for it. But, I think what has mostly changed for me is that I no longer have such an intense need to "Check out" my brain for a while. When my girls were little, it was so intense always taking care of their needs, constantly. It felt so good to zonk out on the laptop and just rest my brain a little. As they got older, I really didn't need it as much. I guess I am trying to say, be gentle with yourself, and see what is driving your need for the online reading. Maybe it is an outlet that you need? When I need to control myself I set my digital timer and that works pretty well for me. Good luck! Geo's lockout thing sounds serious, I would have been so mad at that thing LOL

I am exhausted after this week. Two nights at work getting home at 1am do me in. I did get in a short run yesterday that I didn't expect, and that made me so happy. I only did 3 yesterday and today, was scheduled to do 8 and 4, because I am physically too tired. I think I have been pushing the pace too hard in my training runs, especially the long ones, and I am not recovering as quickly as I should, especially when life intervenes to mess with my sleep! I have a 17 miler tomorrow and I feel so intimidated about it going into it tired. Don't know why, but I do. Oh well, I plan on getting up tomorrow and gettin' 'er done, so I don't have to think about it any more, and then blissfull REST the rest of the weekend.

NRR I just gave my girls some washable window markers and they are having a ball decorating the sunroom windows with spring decorations. They are so cute!

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM

I have a question: Lets talk Undies!!!!!   What kind of undies do you wear for runs, especially longer runs?  Fabric, cut, brand, especially made for runners etc.

I have had so many running related underpant malfunctions recently, it's making me crazy.  I need a solution or my poor bottom is going to revolt, or something!

Lay it on my Mamas, me and my parts will thank you for it

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Undies - I go commando, baby!  Since doing that, I have had no chafing issues.  This is why I dread long runs while on AF. 

Veggie party food - fruit and fresh veggies is what I do in a pinch.  Some cheese cubes and grapes are always a hit (you could put a cube and a grape on a toothpick, if you wanted to get fancy.  Carrots and bell peppers with some ranch dip is always good.  A cracker with some cream cheese and a little jam is another tasty finger food. 

Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Cheese cubes are great. So are finger veggies. Popcorn.

So I am purging my plastics from the house, those cheapy ones that are not BPA-free. Past time.

DD1 has decided she wants to be a (lacto ovo) vegetarian. I want to support her in this. We do a lot of beans, etc...need some other protein ideas. Peanut butter, check. What else?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Nic - Does that mean no dairy, no eggs?  If so, I would look at quinoa for your main grain.  It is the only vegetable based complete protein, so can fit the bill of both grain and protein.  nuts, beans, tofu? 

Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM

She will eat dairy and eggs. Also tuna fish (in salad form, not plain tuna). That's about it. She likes veggie burgers, etc. but straight tofu (even fried etc.) she rejects unless I hide it somehow.

bec did you get a package this week? i'm outing myself but i'm worried it got lost in the mail...

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 PM

melw~Soaking! That's genius! I will definitely give that a try next time!

Yay, mel and poppy!!! Have an awesome race and dingo meet-up tomorrow! joy.gif

nd~I go commando, too. One reason why I stillheart.gif my skirtsports skirts so much...they have comfy unders that don't ride up and don't chafe!

No run for me again today. I was supposed to run with a friend after our student council meeting, but our meeting took longer than anticipated, so we, um...bagged the run and went out to meet our friends at the bar. bag.gif I'm not entirely sure how it worked out that I ended up out with friends at bars THREE days in a row. During front-loading! redface.gif Wasn't spring break last week? orngbiggrin.gif

I WILL get out for a run in the morning. I'm planning on heading to the group run from the local running store that I was doing quite a bit before my marathon last fall. Hopefully 10 miles, to help burn off all the food I've eaten the past three days!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Pssst.  Nic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Just popping in to say a huge THANK YOU to my Secret Sprinter, Nic!!!  I got a fabulous package of a tech shirt, note cards and a beach towel and some tea!  I love SS season, and really love getting to put that extra layer of friendship that giving and receiving gifts does. luxlove.gif

From the person who has enjoyed this year's SS from the side lines.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

She will eat dairy and eggs. Also tuna fish (in salad form, not plain tuna). That's about it. She likes veggie burgers, etc. but straight tofu (even fried etc.) she rejects unless I hide it somehow.

bec did you get a package this week? i'm outing myself but i'm worried it got lost in the mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Just popping in to say a huge THANK YOU to my Secret Sprinter, Nic!!!  I got a fabulous package of a tech shirt, note cards and a beach towel and some tea!  I love SS season, and really love getting to put that extra layer of friendship that giving and receiving gifts does. luxlove.gif

Back on page 21!  I wore my awesome tech shirt and used my fancy schmancy water bottle at tri class this week!love.gif  I've been having to fight the kids off of the tea and the towel.  I have been very clear with them that they are not to touch my secret sprinter goodies.  They're MINE!!!  lol.gif

If your DD will eat dairy, eggs and tuna (any other fish?), then I would work to get those into her diet every day.  Another idea is flax seed in salads and stuff. 

Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Evening mamas!  I've been having all sorts of weirdness with MDC today.  It kept crashing my browser and/or logging me out.  But whatevs, I'm on now.

Thank you JAYGEE!  Your package came yesterday and it's terrific!  I'm so looking forward to checking out the book and I had to hide the goodies from small nibblers.  And I'm wearing the socks (even though I didn't run in them). luxlove.gif

Okay, at some point I had all these things multi-quoted but now I'm just dizzy.gif and Ali G is acting like she's been sent to the gallows because I told her to pick up her Princess Monopoly all. on. her. own.  eyesroll.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Poppy--great race report!

JayGee--On the internet issue: I too spend more time on the computer than I did 15 years ago, but so much of it is stress relief. Quite frankly, I think most of us change a lot when we have kids, especially young ones, and we do what we can to cope. I used to be stressed pre-kids, but now my stress has quadrupled and my stress relief often takes the form of surfing the web while J nurses. I'd prefer to read, except that half the time J will reach back and whack the book repeatedly until I give up. I figure surfing the web is better than drinking, gambling, shopping, going postal.... wink1.gif

1jooj--ugh on the neighbor/well issue, though I'm glad to hear he's finally responding.

Mel--glad to hear there's a plan in place for your DH's asthma (and how crazy that it dates back to 2009!). It's nice to have a solution to those difficult medical issues.

DrJen--hope the anemia turns out to be from something easy and not something scary. So sorry to hear about your patients, and as far as the school situation: at my high school, everyone involved in the incident received the same punishment and even though the punishments were pretty harsh (detentions came in pairs, even for things like chewing gum), they weren't suspension + no activities + no graduation attendance kinds of things for one incident. Also, I find it really odd that some violence is tolerated and other violence isn't, especially when one deliberately provokes and the other is merely a reaction. So, antagonizing people is ok, but responding isn't? Wow. I hope you are able to work out a solution.

Mel--perhaps you can ask the student what message God might be sending if she earned a failing grade? Perhaps God is telling her that she needs to work harder, get a tutor, or otherwise put more work into it? wink1.gif Also yes, I always emphasize that they "earned" the grade. I don't "give" anything.

Here's my April Fool's story: my sister brought over her double bike trailer last weekend so I can borrow it for the girls. It's a Schwinn, so it has a little thingy that gets permanently attached to the bike and I spent a few days fighting for the 10 minutes I needed just to do that (it finally got done by pulling out the playpen, setting it up in the yard, dumping J into it, and letting her scream bloody murder while I attached the thingy to my bike. Also, because it was so hard to think straight during the screaming and R's prattling on about whatever she was doing in the sandbox, I managed to clamp down my quick-release so hard that the brakes were constantly on. It took me another 24 hours to figure out what had happened and fix it.) I wanted to go riding that day, but I think I needed to teach and/or there were 40mph gusts so the ride was tabled.

Today I decided that we were going on a bike ride today, come what may. Well, the universe took that challenge and awarded with me a very flat tire on the trailer when we were trying to leave for the library. The tire was completely flat within 3 minutes of inflating it, so I couldn't even bike to the nearby bike store and get it fixed. greensad.gif Since the morning had been spent with one child or the other crying and it was now 11:40, I gave up, threw the tire and kids into the car and we drove to the library and then stopped and got the tire fixed. After lunch we were finally able to go for a ride. I can't believe it was that hard.

The ride went ok, and the trailer wasn't quite as heavy as I'd expected. Also, we managed to get a few dresses for both girls and even a Nike running skirt for R at the consignment shop. I think J really liked having her sister in the trailer too. Now I just need to get my legs in shape because I plan to use it for a lot of our short errands this summer.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 AM

duh.gif

Not sure how I missed that, Bec. Sorry. I'm glad you liked the box! I have a collection of water bottles...I keep getting infatuated with new ones. It's a thing. I also have a thing with tote bags. (Not nice purses...tote bags). Sigh.

Flaxseed is an excellent idea. She loves smoothies so I can probably figure out a way to work some good nutrition in there.

Just did a fast 4 miles...dh had to go round at the hospital and I am planning 10 for tomorrow. But af.gif is here and I seem to be having a hormone headache or something, just feeling kid of draggy.

It's a gorgeous day here..maybe some beach time.

Have a great day Dingo Mamas! flowersforyou.gifblowkiss.gif

User Tag List