Mothering Forum banner

Dingos chasing the March hare

15K views 510 replies 35 participants last post by  doctorjen 
#1 ·
I guess I'm officially a Dingo, as I've started a new thread!!!!

Welcome runners, joggers, walkers, woggers! Bikers, swimmers, yogis and beginners!

#177 ·
Jo- I hope you are feeling better soon! Good thing you have some options for help, though.
goodvibes.gif

Nic- Great job! Sorry about your DH.

MM- Congrats! :)

Real-
redface.gif
I've been coveting the super hero skirt and tank for quite some time now. Hmm... thanks for the link!

Dingos, I am wearing my Dingo shirt and my running tights and I have a run date set for 1:30 (hour and a half from now).
biggrinbounce.gif
I would love having someone to run with, but I will take what I can get. A friend is watching the girls for me while I run, and that's going to be awesome enough.

So, I'm dressed to run and I'm eating an early lunch. I hope it's a good run! It's been so long.

#178 ·
Wow, the news is hard to take.

I'm bedridden, can hardly walk, can't lift or carry anything. Dh is home, thankfully. He bought my MacBook. I got an older version pro (new but not the new upgrade) and ms office software, and might pick up photo editing software before we leave. He's home all week, and I sure hope I can walk by tomorrow. Expecting highs around 50 this week. Back was feeling awesome last night but seems to have shifted again. So I think I'll sleep a couple hours and see what happens.

Run, Dingos!

#179 ·
Oh no Jo! That sounds awful. Hoping and praying that tomorrow brings some relief from the pain.

memiles ~ have you been to a chiropractor who is certified in ART? Seriously, after 21 months of calf and shin misery, I'm on my way back thanks to ART.

RR ~ decided against the run today so I did 25 minutes on the elliptical followed by a good, hard spin class. Question for those who also do spin ~ is your class cosistently attended by some guy who is obviously a road cyclist or triathlete (full cycling kit, shaved legs, etc) who insists on taking class but NOT doing any of the stuff the instructor is doing??? We're standing, he's in his aerobars. We're climbing in a hard gear, he's spinning out at some ridiculous speed. We're doing sprints, he's on his own personal hill workout. What the heck? The dude in front of me this morning was doing his own thing the entire time and it was really distracting, to be honest..... And it seems like there is one of these guys at every spin class I attend (different guy, same MO).

#180 ·
Quote:
Oh! And after that, I have to drive all the way down to Florida to open up a can of &*%$$ on Nick's DH!
hammer.gif
(love that smiley!)
Oh my gosh. I just spit my iced tea all over my work laptop in front of 28 7th/8th graders. That is hilarious. Please, come on down. Just thinking about a pack of Dingoes descending on dh to read him the riot act is enough to make the whole aggravation worthwhile. Bwahahaha
demon.gif

ETA: Jo, feel better. When that happened to me I had to take a course of Prednisone which sucked but worked well. Heating pad, heating pad, heating pad. Hugs.

#181 ·
Mel: Dingo Enforcer.

I have to admit, it took me a while to figure out what &*%$$ meant. For some reason, I kept reading it as Schlitz.** As in "I have to drive down to Florida to open a can of Schlitz on Nick's DH..."

**In college bio, all our genetics homework problems were about a species of aliens called groodies that reproduce in Schlitz cans.

Nick, you and me: Tuesday speed workouts. You in? 9 min miles for 13.1 miles are totally in reach. You've already taken off, what 20 minutes off your time? What's 7 more? ;) Before you start, though, you might want to clarify the terms of the agreement and put it in writing for you both to sign. :lol I mean, is it an average 9 min/mile that matters, or the average? Are there topography restrictions, like, isn't there a half in CO that's all downhill? Maybe best to get this all clear from the get go. </mild sarcasm>

JayGee, I ban electronic distractions in my classroom, not because I give a &*%$$ about you not following along, but because it's so obviously distracting to others. Maybe you could open your can of &*%$$ on the "different guy, same MO" types and ask them to take a bike in the back where they won't ruin for the rest? You'd probably have to say it a bit more nicely that I say it to my class.

Feel better jooj. You've had this happen before, haven't you?

Getting to like the &*%$$ routine. It's so multipurpose. It's a noun, it's a verb, we could probably even make it an adverb. After typing it a few times, it's really starting to roll off the keys: &*%$$

#182 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Mel: Dingo Enforcer.

I have to admit, it took me a while to figure out what &*%$$ meant. For some reason, I kept reading it as Schlitz.** As in "I have to drive down to Florida to open a can of Schlitz on Nick's DH..."

LOL. I read it as "Whoop-a$$"

Lisa: I bought myself a skirt. Now I suppose I have to run, eh? We have our own local school issues going on. Where to enroll in kindergarten is chief among them.

Jo: feel better soon.

the running season is upon me. The snow is predicted to melt this week, I see it all leaving this week with a high of 60 for thursday. My running partner to be is still pregnant and back from vacation. I hope it goes ok. If nothing else, we're running together once a week.

<I deleted a bunch of random b.s. at work commentary>

#183 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Oh no Jo! That sounds awful. Hoping and praying that tomorrow brings some relief from the pain.

memiles ~ have you been to a chiropractor who is certified in ART? Seriously, after 21 months of calf and shin misery, I'm on my way back thanks to ART.

RR ~ decided against the run today so I did 25 minutes on the elliptical followed by a good, hard spin class. Question for those who also do spin ~ is your class cosistently attended by some guy who is obviously a road cyclist or triathlete (full cycling kit, shaved legs, etc) who insists on taking class but NOT doing any of the stuff the instructor is doing??? We're standing, he's in his aerobars. We're climbing in a hard gear, he's spinning out at some ridiculous speed. We're doing sprints, he's on his own personal hill workout. What the heck? The dude in front of me this morning was doing his own thing the entire time and it was really distracting, to be honest..... And it seems like there is one of these guys at every spin class I attend (different guy, same MO).
I'm now googling them as we speak. There is one about 20 minutes away, will check and see if my insurance covers him.

I had an ah-ha moment on my run this morning. First mile, from practically the first step, either my shin or my calf were killing me. It was to the point that I could only run in 2-3 minute chunks, but stopping to walk just made the calf cramp even worse. I started really paying attention to my gait and NOTHING I could do made me feel like my feet were hitting the ground the way they should. So, I stopped, in the pouring rain, sat down on the ground (in a puddle, I think) and took my orthotics out of my shoes. I figured, what the hell, at least this way I can figure out what my feet are trying to do, right? Basically instantly things felt different- I felt like my calves were stretching a bit with every step, I felt like I was meeting the pavement with the middle of my foot instead of the outside, and the shin pain was 95% better. I could feel very, very different muscles as I ran, but for the first time in forever, I felt like I could run without having to deliberately take steps to ignore something that didn't feel right.

Thinking back, I remember the guy at the running store saying "wow, those are some SERIOUS inserts". DH mentioned today that when I had them cast for my feet, I was about 25 lbs heavier. I also don't remember standing when he made the cast, so I'm thinking that they really have no relation whatsoever to what my feet do when I run. Now the question- do I keep running in these shoes (very, very neutral, fit for the orthotics) or do I go and get refit without them. I wouldn't make it that urgent except I'm 8 weeks out from my first half and don't want to be dealing breaking in shoes as I get really close.

#184 ·
Good afternoon dingos!

Nic--Sorry about your disappointment with your DH trying to weasel out of the bargain. It sounds as though the revised goal is still achievable, though, so that's good news.

Jo--I hope things are going better with you today. I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! Back problems are so awful, since they are impossible to escape. I'm thinking of you.

Both of my kids are home today. DD pulled me out of bed in the middle of the night, crying that she thought she was going to throw up. A bit later, she said she was just so hot, it was making her feel sick. She had a fever, so I gave her some medication and the two of us hunkered down on the couch for the night. This prompted a meltdown from DS when he hunted me down around 4:00 and I told him there wasn't enough room for him to join us on the couch. DH had to wrangle him while I took care of DD.... it was a mess. I decided to keep both of them home from school today, even though DS probably could have gone. I didn't want to get up this morning and I didn't want to make DD leave the house, either.

Unfortunately, this means no gym and it also means that I'm spending much time keeping the kids from fighting instead of getting anything constructive done. Tonight I'm waiting tables, so there's no chance to sneak off for a run when DH gets home from work, either.

Saturday I had a great run on the roads, the first of the season. I did just over 8 miles, and I felt really great the whole time. I'm going to put some thought into registering for a half-marathon, which I feel is doable. Yesterday my knees were really sore and I was concerned, but this morning when I woke up they felt just fine. Hooray!

Back to the sickies....

#185 ·
And yes, we have that spinning guy. It boggles my mind, because they have 4 spin bikes out on the exercise floor. Why not bring your own music and do your own thing outside of the class? Unless your goal is staring at sweaty women.....

#188 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

I'm now googling them as we speak. There is one about 20 minutes away, will check and see if my insurance covers him.

I had an ah-ha moment on my run this morning. First mile, from practically the first step, either my shin or my calf were killing me. It was to the point that I could only run in 2-3 minute chunks, but stopping to walk just made the calf cramp even worse. I started really paying attention to my gait and NOTHING I could do made me feel like my feet were hitting the ground the way they should. So, I stopped, in the pouring rain, sat down on the ground (in a puddle, I think) and took my orthotics out of my shoes. I figured, what the hell, at least this way I can figure out what my feet are trying to do, right? Basically instantly things felt different- I felt like my calves were stretching a bit with every step, I felt like I was meeting the pavement with the middle of my foot instead of the outside, and the shin pain was 95% better. I could feel very, very different muscles as I ran, but for the first time in forever, I felt like I could run without having to deliberately take steps to ignore something that didn't feel right.

Thinking back, I remember the guy at the running store saying "wow, those are some SERIOUS inserts". DH mentioned today that when I had them cast for my feet, I was about 25 lbs heavier. I also don't remember standing when he made the cast, so I'm thinking that they really have no relation whatsoever to what my feet do when I run. Now the question- do I keep running in these shoes (very, very neutral, fit for the orthotics) or do I go and get refit without them. I wouldn't make it that urgent except I'm 8 weeks out from my first half and don't want to be dealing breaking in shoes as I get really close.
I vote new shoes. Though if the current ones feel good, I might retract that... As I was reading along, I expected the ah-ha moment to be something about getting Vibrams :)

Jo, thinking of you. I hope that things get better soon!

&*%$$ is terrific, whether adverb or alien reproductive can. And Nic's husband is in trou-ou-ble...

RR- Several days of rain have washed away most of the snow, so I was finally back to the trails after almost a month away today. I
heartbeat.gif
the forest. There are still a couple of snowy patches and a ton of puddles, but I'll take it!

#189 ·
&*%$$ - Love it! And, I think we do need to open a can of Dingo &*%$$ on Nic's DH.
supermod.gif
superhero.gif
Cuss.gif
hammer.gif
clap.gif

Jo - You poor thing! Back stuff really, really sucks. Do you have a chiropracter you can go to? I hope you are feeling better quickly, mama.

Megan - Are you sure you aren't living in my house? NOTHING here is standard or normal. It's so aggravating! Oh, and I'd get fitted for new shoes ASAP!

Nemesis - I hope your run was good!

#190 ·
Jo, hope things get better soon.

Nic, count me in for the Whoop-A$$. I'm all over that. That sort of goalpost moving drives me insane.

La, sorry yours are sick!

We had a calm day around here - I graded and cleaned, the kids and I watched a Muppets movie, we ran some errands, and generally chilled. Dd is sick-ish but seems intent on school tomorrow. My plan is to grade papers, so if she has to stay home, it's not a bad week for it. Although I hope she feels better.

#191 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Are there topography restrictions, like, isn't there a half in CO that's all downhill?
There is! Nick, want to come have a Dingo meet-up?
orngbiggrin.gif

(To be fair, I think it's probably only a good 1/2 if you do a lot of hill training--uphill and down--or else it's too hard on your legs.)

kerc--enjoy the skirt. No running required!

La4--hope your sick ones recover quickly.

memiles--new shoes! Eight weeks is plenty of time to get used to them if they fit properly.

JayGee--ewwww about the spinning class guy. I'm surprised the instructor doesn't ask him to get with the program or go use bikes elsewhere.

P came home early to watch J while I was at beginning strings class with R, so when we got home I left R to hang out with P and took J in the bike trailer for an easy ride. I'm hoping to get the double trailer from my sister this week while the weather is nice. J fell asleep so when I came home I left her in the trailer and started working on the garden with the pitchfork. I'm looking forward to planting something.

#192 ·
Nic - Oh for real that man is on my &*#$$ list. I was clear that the goal was 2:04 , you were clear the goal was 2:04 - who cares what it means it was way the &*#$$ faster than where you were, wasn't that the point?
Cuss.gif
I burn on your behalf.

memiles - If the shoes you've got aren't comfy I wouldn't worry about the time for a new pair, 8 weeks is tons of time. Did you get a little of that sun today? I hope so, here's some just in case
coolshine.gif

MM -
sticky.gif
vibes for you.

Jo - Ow. I hope tomorrow is better. Ali G and I walked over to watch the neighbors lambs and I thought how nice it would be if someday you wound up here. A girl can dream right?

JayGee - That guy would drive me nuts! Especially if he insisted also in being up front. What an &*#$$.

Zub - You amaze me! I don' think I'd be able to consider TTCing on the sleep schedule you've been surviving on.

Erg, sorry for brief personals. I promised Chiara that I'd stay off the computer while she is home and awake at least for Lent but hopefully I can sustain it even longer. But it does crimp my style!

No RR today but strength class tomorrow and a friend suggested my mystery hip pain could be partly due to a vit D deficiency so I'm trying to load up on that and see how it goes.

#193 ·
nic~ I would like to add my
hammer.gif
to the chorus. And YES to Lisa's suggestion of a CO dingo downhill half! June 26, I think!
orngbiggrin.gif

jo~
goodvibes.gif
Feel better!!!!

memiles~You've got time for new shoes, but I wouldn't waste too much time if you're going to go that route. You'll want to do some short runs in them first, rather than jumping right into a long run.

Simulation, done. 7 page paper, done. Probably not my finest work, but not bad given the parameters we were supposed to follow. I mean, sheesh. Talk about jumping around all over the place. I could make it flow SO much better, but I don't want to get dinged for not following the format.
rolleyes.gif

DS had a killer meltdown this afternoon. He's been throwing things at me lately (toys, pillows, clothes), and I've had it. I took his bunny (aka lovey) away this afternoon briefly because he threw it at me after I had warned him repeatedly not to throw things at me. Oy.
banghead.gif
I think we had nearly an hour of yelling and screaming and crying, interspersed with some throwing-self-on-the-ground, kicking, hitting-the-floor moments. I thought the 3's were where the tantrums were supposed to be??

No forward motion for me today, unfortunately. I think DS and I were both hungover from daylight savings time. He crawled into bed with me just before 7, and the next thing I knew, it was 9:30! Holy cow! I guess we both needed the sleep, but unfortunately, that left no time for a run before preschool, and I had my simulation while he was at school. Oh well. Hopefully tomorrow, although with appointments at 10:30 and noon, it'll have to be later in the day...

#194 ·
Just signed up for the Beach to Beacon 10k on August 6th!

It's on my son's 4th birthday and if this pregnancy sticks, I'll be 25 weeks along!

I'm thinking ocean beach birthday party afterwards
orngbiggrin.gif

#195 ·
I don't know if it is just a struggle for a couple of weeks or what but it looks like my marathon in June will be a half. I am still tying to train and my midweek runs are happening but I am not able to find the time for the super long runs on the weekend. Dh actually said to me this past weekend that I probaby had time to run if I left before 6 am and didn't need to shower afterwards.
eyesroll.gif
I don't know. Now that I have said that about mis week runs I still have to get today's in and it is 7 miles including 5 @ 8:17 which sounds about impossible as I sit her in my flannel pj while Linus sleeps in. There is so much going on and I don't have the energy to discuss it all.

MM congrats!
joy.gif

Jo,
goodvibes.gif
that you feel better soon and that the stress magically alleviates itself. As we toy with the idea of huge life changes and moves I feel some of your pain.

Nic, congratulations on your new PR. No matter what happens Isreal travel-wise you own that PR!

mmiles I say new shoes asap ot at least a new fitting to see if you need them.

Lisa, your running with the jogger amazes me. 8 yo dd has been able to ride her bike with me running since last fall. 5 yo dd couldn't really keep up and caused me all sorts of stress about her safety. 3 yo ds uses the bike trailer, jogger and can ride a balance bike but is not ready for pedals.

Some of you know this but... They don't let kindergarteners check out school library books. Charlotte is reading the Ivy and Bean series for her literacy. Book 4 is checked out of the public library and we do not own it. Helen reported that it was on the shelf at school so I went in to plead a special case. They let her check it out and bring it home against all sorts of rules. She eventually had a fit and hid the book. (Oh, let me count the ways that I love her.) Then I promptly donated it to Goodwill.
redface.gif
Sunday I ran over there to search and search for it but to no avail. It turns out somebody else found it, realized it was an error, took it back to the school, and THEY LET HER HAVE IT AGAIN. I am so stressed about this now. I want her to finish the ^%$&^%*& book and return it.

#196 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Some of you know this but... They don't let kindergarteners check out school library books. Charlotte is reading the Ivy and Bean series for her literacy. Book 4 is checked out of the public library and we do not own it. Helen reported that it was on the shelf at school so I went in to plead a special case. They let her check it out and bring it home against all sorts of rules. She eventually had a fit and hid the book. (Oh, let me count the ways that I love her.) Then I promptly donated it to Goodwill.
redface.gif
Sunday I ran over there to search and search for it but to no avail. It turns out somebody else found it, realized it was an error, took it back to the school, and THEY LET HER HAVE IT AGAIN. I am so stressed about this now. I want her to finish the ^%$&^%*& book and return it.
Really? They don't let kindergarteners take out books????? In Bloomington, K-1 got to take 2 books a week, and 2nd graders got to take out 4! That seems rather counter-productive to the actual "learning to read" part of kindy, doesn't it? Mommajb, I am so sorry you're so stressed out. I really hope you can get the runs in this week. And I hope you can find just a few moments of inner peace.

MM ~ good for you! Even if you walk the 10K (which I would certainly be doing at 25 weeks), you'll still have done it! BTW, how did DH respond to the news?

DS did another one of his wake-up-with-a-headache-then-throw-up things in the middle of the night. This is the third time since we've moved here. At first I thought it was a dehydration issue since the first two times were after soccer, but last night we didn't do anything and it still happened. I'm on the fence about school for him today though. He usually feels perfectly fine the next morning after these episodes. Day off today, but I promise to make time to do my PT exercises.

#197 ·
MM, where is Beach to Beacon? We'll be in Boston/Martha's Vineyard that week!!!!

I'm totally in for a fast half marathon ladies. I just don't know if all downhill will work well on my legs. This one actually had two big hills (bridge) and downhills which I handled well (sped mightily down the bridge on the downhills) but my legs are still kind of trashed today. Have 3 miles planned later with my students.

You know what, y'all are totally right. Dh needs a shakin'. But i am going to really LOVE it when I break 1:57. That is going to be the ultimate IN YOUR FACE PAL!

(By the way, I do love my dh. But he can be very ... um, whatever.)

I look like a little bit of a goober today. My feet have some chafe spots so I am wearing socks and flats with my skirt (knee socks, so they look like stockings) and I think I look like a grandma. Oh well.
lol.gif

#198 ·
:hug mommajb - I totally feel your pain! I'm having similar long run issues, and I'm only training for a half! At some point, I really need to get some long runs in. It doesn't help that my DH has been occupying most of the weekends recently with his stuff, so I have been stuck with the gym or my treadmill. It's been disheartening. I'm feeling burnt out, lately. Like I'm just going through the motions of life right now. Spring is close, but not quite here yet. All I want to do is go to bed and sleep. Ugh! Maybe I'll take another rest day and just take a nap before Abby goes to dance.

Gaye - Tantrums in 5 year olds stink. Trust me! They are kind of like a 3 year old, but bigger, stronger and more stubborn! Sorry, mama.

#199 ·
Nic - Just cause you love your dh doesn't mean he's not being a dork. Trust me, I understand THAT!!! My DH is not, currently in my very best book at the moment (note the brief reference to not being able to get my long runs in because he's been hogging the weekends and the burnt out thing).

#200 ·
Thanks Bec. Yeah, you're right. Oddly if it was a couple weeks ago I would have been a lot madder. But we have been on an upswing in general so I guess i'm more tolerant. Also since I feel like I *can* actually accomplish new goal (and boy how satisfying will that be?!) it's okay.

But yeah, dork city.
lol.gif

#201 ·
Hi Dingos

I have been reading along and not posting as usual

So my personals are late but: Congrats MM! --does that make 2 dinglets on the way with Jen Love?

Nic--You really inspire me, I have been on and off posting in this forum for several years and you have just turned into a rock star runner. I have only 1 1/2 under my belt just 2 weeks ago and now I want to try for a faster time. I've always just focused on finishing without walking.

For now I am trying to stay on the running wagon, only 3 yesterday, today is packed with work so hopefully 5 tomorrow. I definitely need a race to keep motivated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.