Dingos chasing the March hare - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sparkle, sending lots of healing love to you.  Please hang out, even if you can't run.

For those in transition, I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to make these moves.  DH and I will probably never move because the work involved in selling a house makes me hyperventilate. Lots of strength to you.

Back from the new chiro after a monster ART session.  As suspected, my entire right leg is hosed up....that's a highly technical term.  He found issues with my hip, IT band, glute, calf muscles and shin.  Worked the heck out of all of them, kiniseotaped me up (turquoise!  pretty!), and I'm going back on Friday.  He actually mentioned that I seemed to be incredibly dehydrated, which I think is a chronic state for me.  Dehydration equals muscle cramps, muscle cramps throw off my gait (combined with the knee issue), everything else seizes up, lather, rinse repeat.  The good news is that since I'm not actually having pain in the knee joint, he thinks that this can all be resolved and there is no reason why I can't run long term- he actually mentioned 26.2.  It was so nice to have someone really listen, someone who was able to really find all the spots that were hurting with great accuracy.  As an added bonus, his chiropractic style is more gentle than the guy I'd been seeing, so my back and neck adjustment didn't feel like I was going to break something.  

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#242 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Back from the new chiro after a monster ART session.  As suspected, my entire right leg is hosed up....that's a highly technical term.  He found issues with my hip, IT band, glute, calf muscles and shin.  Worked the heck out of all of them, kiniseotaped me up (turquoise!  pretty!), and I'm going back on Friday.  He actually mentioned that I seemed to be incredibly dehydrated, which I think is a chronic state for me.  Dehydration equals muscle cramps, muscle cramps throw off my gait (combined with the knee issue), everything else seizes up, lather, rinse repeat.  The good news is that since I'm not actually having pain in the knee joint, he thinks that this can all be resolved and there is no reason why I can't run long term- he actually mentioned 26.2.  It was so nice to have someone really listen, someone who was able to really find all the spots that were hurting with great accuracy.  As an added bonus, his chiropractic style is more gentle than the guy I'd been seeing, so my back and neck adjustment didn't feel like I was going to break something.  

Yay for ART!!!!!  I am so thrilled for you!

sparkle ~ I was just thinking of you and your family the other day when we took the kids to the new climbing gym in St. Louis.  Sorry to hear you've been so sick, and I really hope you're back soon.  We miss you!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#243 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM

I hope you had an awesome birth, DrJen!!

Good luck with the ride, Nemesis :)

Real, you have me inspired and wanting to garden. The snow finally melted from my yard, but I need to give it a little while to dry out. I picked up a lot of seeds from local seed savers a couple of weeks ago, and I'm feeling the gardening itch again.

Yesterday I had my sister's 14 month old all day, who is midway through a week away from my sis. I haven't seen them for six months, so I was a complete stranger taking her for the day. She did pretty well, but wrangling two toddlers was pretty tiring for me (kudos to all of you that have closely spaced kiddos!!). I got her back to her dad before I went to bootcamp, and his mom's surgery for breast cancer went well- just waiting for the pathology results next week.

Today was a short fast run with my DH- we were trying to break our record on our "short trail", but were felled by his leg cramp about three blocks from home. Even with walking the last three blocks we were only 15 seconds over our previous fastest time, so my guess is that we can do it in the next couple of weeks. We started this route at around 34 minutes when we got back to running last summer, and are now at 27:45. We were on pace for under 27 today.

Tried to post this earlier, but forgot to hit submit...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#244 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Marking my spot for later
#245 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 PM

RR:  Biked 7 miles, sort of slow.  My friend wasn't feeling well and we are both pretty out of shape!   Then I did some run/walk for another 2 miles.  Tough, but I'm glad I got out there.  Hopefully I can bike to work tomorrow.  It's pretty wet, but I can just bring a change of clothes.

#246 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Sparkle - grouphug.gif  I understand how difficult it is to be hearing about activity and running when you are sick and not able to run.  I'm so sorry you have been so sick.  I hope that you are on the mend and are on the road to health and fitness.  I had a palette expander as a kid.  It was rough. 

mel - How awesome that you got a great run with your husband!  Isn't it awesome to see progress.

memiles - I hope the ART and the taping helps!!!

FM - Tri class tonight.  I did 1100 yards in the pool in about 25 minutes!  And the teacher said I had really good form!  That was cool. 

NRR: I have a well child appointment for Katie tomorrow morning.  I am going to talk to the doctor about getting Katie diagnosed with ADD.  I had comments from two of her teachers and a comment from her dance teacher this week about her not being able to control herself, not being able to stay on task, and not being able to focus.  My poor little girl.  She has no idea whatsoever what she is doing and how it is impacting her life. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#247 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM

thanks for the good birthing vibes!  My client pushed her baby out on her own - 9 lbs 8 oz, over an intact perineum, and he was gorgeous and vigorous immediately.  She was so happy to be holding the baby immediately, and nursing him right away - she didn't get to hold her first baby for 2 days, and didn't get to put him to breast until her milk was already in because of his complicated NICU course. 

After, I picked up Caroline and headed to my friend's house (our nurse manager on labor and delivery actually, who'd also been at the birth) and we ran 4 miles outside on the first nice day of the year.  She's gotten pretty hard to push in the jog stroller (56 lbs, plus her snacks and books, etc) but it was worth it to run with company.   Overall, it was a great day!

#248 of 511 Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM

poppy~Nothing new on the negotiations front. Looks like it's going to be another 3 weeks before we can get into the mediator. rolleyes.gif

memiles~yikes.gif Here are some extra strong goodvibes.gif for your little 26 weeker!

sparkle~wave.gif How awful that you've been so sick, but I'm glad you're on the upswing. goodvibes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

;As suspected, my entire right leg is hosed up....that's a highly technical term.
lol.gif

Is this week over yet?! How come pretty much every week except this one has flown by? Oh wait, that would be because I am DYING for spring break, here! Sigh. I am struggling HARD with studying for my comprehensive final. I managed *maybe* two hours today. bag.gif Not so good, considering I'm at the hospital for 12+ hours tomorrow. I feel ever-so-slightly guilty that I picked a super-easy patient for tomorrow (I got there early enough to pick my patient). I had two choices, basically, and one was something new while the other was a repeat of one of my week 3 patients, with only 4 meds to do drug cards on. Perfed appy, which honestly, is really low-key from a nursing perspective. So, I could have gone with the learning opportunity, but dude...I'm tired. Bonus: my partner's patient is going to surgery at 12:30, so chances are good that we'll get to go with, woohoo! redface.gif

Track this morning: 3 x 800, 200 recovery, 200 hard, 400 recovery. And then a couple of extra 200's (hard), just for kicks. Or something. orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#249 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Sparkle, I'm sorry you've been sick. Please stick around if you can - we miss you.

Memiles, glad you had a good ART experience!

Bec, your poor girlie. I hope your ped has some really constructive suggestions for you.

Non RR: does anybody have some suggestions for books I might read so that I don't cry after I talk to my mom on the phone? I think I need something about modifying one's expectations and/or dealing w. people with tendencies to narcissism. She's not malicious or intentionally mean, but consistently leaves me really distressed after we talk - a combination of a really convoluted thought process on her part that frustrates me, and a blunt assessment of me/my life that leaves me feeling really inadequate as a person. She is unlikely to change, and attempts at conversation about this dynamic on my part have in the past gone really badly. It triggers a whole series of Bad Thoughts and frankly I'm just tired of the reconstructing process - it takes me a while and I'd rather spend my time not feeling bad. </oversharing>

Running aspiration: um, I hope to run today. lol.gif My knees are not feeling super, so I don't want to overdo it, but it's supposed to be gorgeous out. I've got a meeting 12-1 so I'm thinking I'll head home afterwards and run before getting the kids from school. Plus grade papers for a billion hours. That is my plan.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#250 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 AM

Penelope, I've gotten the best use from How to talk so your kids will listen... for talking to my mom.  No, seriously.    Are you still coming in May?

Last night I couldn't reply to the thread or to Jess' PM.  So I sent an email to dingosmeet, which didn't appear to go through.  I'm feeling somewhat rejected.  :lol 

Bec, good luck in finding solutions. 

#251 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 AM

sparkle, I hope you are feeling better soon and can enjoy hanging out with us even if you aren't running much.

I got your yahoo email Wendy and shared a tiny bit there myself this morning.

Mothers: Mine tries to be helpful, she offers what she can, I want something else. It is way past time to change my expectations of her rather than try to communicate.

bec, good luck.

Alice's test scores came back and they are opposite Ian's. He pegged the math and did just fine on the verbal. She pegged the verbal and did just fine otherwise. They are both studies in asynchronous development and she touches on twice exceptional. Fun days but I am proud of them. I am also glad I had them take different tests so that they cannot directly compare scores.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#252 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

Is this week over yet?! How come pretty much every week except this one has flown by? Oh wait, that would be because I am DYING for spring break, here!

Yes. I am *so* ready for spring break. One.more.day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Penelope, I've gotten the best use from How to talk so your kids will listen... for talking to my mom.  No, seriously.    Are you still coming in May?

LOL. Why is it that the people we love the most are so freaking hard to talk to sometimes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

wave.gif

umm, no idea what is going on except for this page

Miss you! I was just thinking about your scoby back in NM.

Running this afternoon with my new partner. Stayed up WAY too late reading.Doing OK on no coffee/no pop. Still drinking one pop per day.

Kids crazy.

Work = crazy.

Planning a dingo meetup with Geo in April (for work) and my family outvoted me on vacation plans so no meetup with Plady this summer ( they nixed the idea of driving A...L....L the way to the coast from Glacier and Banff this summer).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#253 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
bec

So, I started vitamin D yesterday.  How long till I should feel a difference?  Maybe I should just start going to bed when I put the kids to bed at 7:30.

Oh, and I meant to shout from the rooftops what a fantastic secret sprinter I have!!!  I got such a wonderful package yesterday!  All sorts of great girly things like candles and perfume, as well as sunscreen and after sun soother (both products that I use religiously during the summer!), another book "run like a mother", a magazine, some foot cream, a larabar, and all sorts of great goodies.  It's like getting a great big Dingo hug! 

I NEED to get a run in.  But, I am wondering when I am going to be able to schedule it in, given the doctor appointment, volunteering at Emily's class, and dealing with Abby in the morning.  Ergh, it may be this afternoon.  Fingers crossed that I can get outside for a run.  That would probably do my spirit good.

#254 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 AM

So jealous of everyone who has spring break coming up.  Would you believe ours isn't until April 21???  That's more than a month away!  GAH!  And it's not even a full week, just Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon.  We're going to Bloomington.  Exciting, eh?!

Speaking of summer plans, will any of the easter New England Dingoes be around the week after July 4?  We'll be in Portsmouth, NH that week and I'd love to meetup with anyone who is close-ish.

mommajb ~ your son sounds like mine.  Stellar in math, good, but not exceptional in reading.  I'll be thinking of you as you weather the next few months of upheaval in your life. 

DrJen ~ yay for your birthing Mama!!!!!

tjsmama ~ enjoy your hospital day tomorrow, and no guilt about picking the less challenging patient. 

I'm going to the Y in an hour for a run in my new shoes!  Well, they're still the same Brooks Defyance that I've always bought, but a new pair.  It's the little things that make me happy!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#255 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 AM

kerc ~ J and I have discussed moving for the birth.  It may come to that, but I'd like to find something close because I will want a family member with V.  It's definitely in the realm of possibility, but I want to exhaust my options nearby first.  

drjen ~ So glad her birth went well. <3

Jo ~ Still feeling good? :D

bec ~ have you looked into the Feingold Diet at all?  Might be interesting to experiment with on your dd and see if you notice any behavioral changes.

RR:  After V and I down our breakfast, we are going outside to take the squirrels some treats and then we are going to go for a walk.  Maybe we'll find some leprechauns. ;)

NRR:  My preschool teacher in me is coming out today.  I totally want to do St. Patrick's Day activities all day long.  I may have to buy green glitter.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#256 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Thank you! I'll order a copy.

I *am* still coming in May. I'll PM you. smile.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#257 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Jen - I have looked at Feingold a long time ago.  We have very, very little processed foods.  Almost nothing with artificial dyes or flavors.  We eat only whole grains. I'm not sure there is anything else we could do diet wise.  If only that were the case.  Anyway, the doctor's appointment went well.  But, I knew it was just the start.  We are going to make an appointment with the same neurologist we saw a couple of summers ago for the motor ticks. 

#258 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM

RR: 10m ile LR at 8:30ish pace done today instead of tomorrow. 

NRR: Tomorrow~Going to get the papers signed for the renters of our house in the AM, bank to get cashier's check to sign on our new house at 2pm.  Prayers and vibes for all of that would be great!  Ds1 (10yo) who had strep last week, now has a body rash that the doctor is thinking is from the strep (not the antibiotic that myself and my other two kids are allergic to that ds1 is now on....??).  What ever it is, he feels yuck and it's been long enough seeing the poor guy down  like this.  Happy note, therapy is working wonders for this boy and he is so much happier and the anger is just gone.  Wow. 

Bec~good luck with your daughter getting the help you need!  (((HUG)))

Okay, at work , need to pee, have a really cool coffee cup wrap to knit with left over sock yarn (since all my knitted socks wear through the heels super quick and make me bummed after weeks and weeks of working on them!). 

Love to you ladies!!

more later, after bathroom break!

#259 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM

running partner might work out lovely. 2 miles went quick. I was a little panic-ridden when we started out fast. But geez it went so fast.

#260 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
bec

RM - We  must be on the same wavelength (or running the same race lol.gif), but I did my 10 mile long run today instead of later in the week, too!  No 8:30 pace though for me, though!  But, did manage a respectable (for me) 11:44 pace, so managed it in under 2 hours.  It was super hard for the first few miles, but the last five were actually really nice, and the last 3 miles were actually at around a 10:45 pace (super speedy for me).

I have a May 4 appointment for Katie, but am going to try to find a psychiatrist that can get her in sooner.  I really hate to wait longer than necessary.

On the other hand, there is nothing like a good long run to manage my own anxiety which as been through the roof today. 

#261 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Was someone talking about doing the columbus ohio half?  I would definitely be in!  I was thinking of a full in the fall too, but my hip is bugging me a lot and I just seemed to lose a lot of the love after the Goofy.  A half is definitely do-able.  I can still run 10 so I should be okay.  Although if anyone does the full (myself included). The half runs completely with the full for the entire 13 miles.

#262 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

Was someone talking about doing the columbus ohio half?  I would definitely be in!  I was thinking of a full in the fall too, but my hip is bugging me a lot and I just seemed to lose a lot of the love after the Goofy.  A half is definitely do-able.  I can still run 10 so I should be okay.  Although if anyone does the full (myself included). The half runs completely with the full for the entire 13 miles.

Wendy + JenB

But I might be talked into it. What's the date? If it is a dingo meetup, I could be there....

#263 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Hmmm, Columbus, OH, half marathon dingo meetup, eh?  I'm interested, tell me more!

#264 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 04:27 PM

I was just thinking yesterday or today of the summer Dingo meet up!  Are we planning on one this summer?  Or too much going on?  Was thinking of coming without dh (who just seems to be more of a hermit).  He loves camping as a family, but that's it.  *shrug*  that's okay, I love that he loves to be with his family so I'll take it!  :)

#265 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Lots of miles being logged around here!!  Yay!!

NRR:  I have an appointment with a midwife in Appleton at a really awesome looking birth center on Tuesday (and maybe a Jo visit if she's available).  Good vibes are definitely welcome. :)

FM:  I got out for TWO walks today.  It feels so good to be among the living again.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#266 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Oh YEAH! tell me the details please....and Kerc, you must come!

#267 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM

We are talking the Nationwide Half, right?

October 16?

hmm, possibly.

I have the weekend before scheduled for a national meeting (that is 2.5 hrs from me and I have free lodging).

#268 of 511 Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Drive by posting- had my oldest DD home sick today, so no run. But we watched Shrek together while I graded papers and did class prep. And had a nice date for tea this afternoon before daycare pick up.

I won't make to Ohio in Oct, but the conversation reminded me that I need to renew my passport. So thank you. Dingo conversations get into my subconscious sometimes- I had a huge craving for roasted garbanzos and made them this week, and only remembered days later that they were mentioned here.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#269 of 511 Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 AM

I might be able to do that half in Columbus. How fun would it be to try and make that goal time with a pack of Dingoes running with me?! Oooh, fun. energy.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#270 of 511 Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 AM

When is the Columbus half?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page