Dingos chasing the March hare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess I'm officially a Dingo, as I've started a new thread!!!!

Welcome runners, joggers, walkers, woggers!  Bikers, swimmers, yogis and beginners! 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#2 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 AM

WooHoo!  joy.gif

I am going to make a huge batch of soap, then get my butt in gear.  I've got a short run with the dog planned- to the bike shop to pick up my finally-fixed bicycle.  Probably about a mile run and 5 miles biking by the time I get home.  Much more than usual lately!

I am totally in denial about my 10K and Warrior Dash I've signed up for this year.  I am not sure it's even possible to get ready in time.  Yuck.  greensad.gif

#3 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Awww, bec, you most certainly are a Dingo!

KJoslyn ~ how much degeneration was there in your joint?  Are you bone on bone?  Is it confined to one section of the knee (lateral, medial, patellar?)  I also have DJD in my medial knee and have for at least 5 years.  It has not impacted my running much at all and MRIs show little progression at this point.  All is not lost!  Best wished for a fast recovery from the menisectomy (which I also had in 1996...)

DD2 has the WORST cough.  Seriously, she hacked all night long and we spent a lot of time in a steamy bathroom.  I'm wiped out and it's not even 9:00am.  Instead of going with my parents to the Botanical Garden as planned, I'm just taking them to the train station and laying low with DD the rest of the day.  My leg is still feeling really good since seeing the chiro on Tuesday.  I'm optimistic!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#4 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Subscribing to lurk. :P

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
bec

JayGee - I'm so stoked for you about your leg!  I hope this is the answer for you.  This injury has been nagging you long enough!

So, DH, who has been sicker than a dog (and irritating the crud out of me in the process) has both bronchitis and strep throat.  So, he's on antibiotics.  The problem is that he is snoring all night long, and when he isn't doing a chainsaw immitation, he's coughing horribly.   I know it isn't his fault, but I'm SOOOOOO tired!  Especially after the poo incident that we will never speak of again (still have the stain, in spite of 3 different carpet cleaners). 

I did manage to get to tri class last night, and it was very needed.  It was the last night of the session, which is always a fun, friendly competition.  Anyway, we were paired off, and had to do 7 stations, taking turns with our partner.  We switched on and off until we reached whatever our target number was for that station.  There's a new rope pulling machine that we had to do 10 pulls each until we got to 100 total pulls, rowing machine for 25 rows until we got to 200, boat pose tossing a medicine ball back and forth until we got to 50, 10 pushups each until we got to 100, running up and down the stairs (1 lap each from the bottom to the top to the bottom) until we reached 20 laps, tricep dips with our partner holding our ankles (10 each until we reached 100) and running laps until we reached 26 laps.  It was tough, but fun. 

Anyway, I would love to run today, but I am feeling like I am starting to catch DH's illness, so I think I'm going to take a nap when the kids go to school!

#6 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Ugh, just lost a post. Have I mentioned I hate this laptop? Yeah...

KJoslyn, Good luck with healing. I hope it goes better than you expect, and that you have much running ahead of you.

JayGee, whatever the magic is, I hope it keeps working.

Thanks for the vibes, Dingos...what a week. Yesterday turned into a rest day because dh needed some help at work, and then I had farm errands to run, and then another inspector and appraiser. Tomorrow, our well gets chlorinated, which I'm hoping is just a minor hassle in the big picture. Waiting on a minor septic repair, too, and we haven't even dipped a toe into the home inspection. Nervous, yeah, especially with the buyout offer still way off on the horizon. Ugh. At this point, I am hoping not to walk away owing anyone. surrender.gif

Also working now on selling the other stuff. I am planning the first "moving sale" next weekend. I guess we'll go through stuff and price a few things and hope to move materials a couple weekends in a row. Also hoping to sell two of the three vehicles by the first week of April, and the tractor sooner than that. But I will be cleaning and pricing chicken feeders, gardening tools, lawnmowers, trailers, etc. all next week in hopes of getting stuff moved out of here. It is a lot of stuff, but will be so good to see things cleaned out (and converted to cash).

But for today, I plan on an hour cardio, probably split between elliptical and track, and then weight machines and stretching. Body and mind need it.

RM--I haven't glossed over your question; but it is such a long answer! luxlove.gif First, I'd say I was exposed to Muslims for the first time as a volunteer in Morocco. I met and married dh with no intention to accept Islam. Then, a couple years later I had a major mystical experience that led me to accept it as my path to Reality and Truth (all alone, in my car of all places!). Since then, I continue to evolve, moving along on my path, and nurturing my practice and faith. It has been a challenge and a comfort.

#7 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM

happy march? holy cow, I'm recalling posting the first week of february.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#8 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Feeling overwhelmed and behind on February's thread, I've decided to ignore it and start fresh with March.  Therefore, I have no idea on what is happening around here, but know I've been thinking of the Dingoes...........since I've been.....wait for it........RUNNING.  I know.  It's shocking.  It's not pretty, but I'm doing it.  It's involved snow, and yesterday a major windstorm, but I'm gettin' it done.  I had a major shift in my thinking about weather while walking laps on the track during C's soccer practice.  Number one, those girls are out there 3 nights a week no matter what the weather (and the weather has been cold and insanely wet this winter).  Number two, walking those laps and hiking those stadium stairs during practice in the frozen torrential downpour was warmer and far more productive than sitting, shivering, in the stands.  Number three, I'd let my hangup about running in the rain completely kill my running.  Sure, I was still going to spinning and doing hot yoga, but even with more workout time I was somehow gaining weight and slipping into a funk where I hated my body.  So I'm taking it slow, getting rid of my judgement about walk breaks and focusing on distance over time.  I've got a half training plan printed out and am right on track to do this one.  Since the turn around is literally 2 miles from my house I feel like I really don't have a choice.  I'm doing it.

Now that I've said that out loud......

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#9 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

can I join?  I'm a newbie runner, I guess.  I started running last month (guess it's been about 3 weeks), and signed up (with some friends) to do the warrior dash in august.  I'd always been pretty athletic, but since my kids were born, my level of activity dropped to nearly nothing.  Finally after 3 weeks frustrating of walking/jogging I've gotten to a point where things are starting to feel like there's progress!  WOOOT!  I've been trying to take it real slow, easing back into exercise, though, because I don't want to get hurt...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Here's the race list for the March thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

Mel38, poppywise - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 2

bec - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 9

Realrellim - Platte River Half Marathon - April 10

OceansEve - OKC Memorial Marathon - May 1

bec, Runningmommy - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 7

tjsmama - Colfax Marathon - May 15

Nemesis - Fargo 5K - May 20

Nemesis - Fargo 10K - May 21

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - May 22 

mommajb - Carmel Marathon - June 11

bec - Naperville Triathlon - June 12

memiles - Warrior Dash - July 16

Nemesis and dh - Minnesota Warrior Dash - July 23

MotivatedMama - Beach to Beacon 10K - August 6

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 7

mommajb - Indy Women's Half Marathon - September 3

bec and bec's dh - Warrior Dash Upper Midwest - September 17

mommajb - Columbus Marathon - October 16

bec - Hot Chocolate 15K - November 5

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post
#11 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Welcome Jenna and YAY for progress!!!

Memiles ~ glad to hear you're back out there.  I agree that running around the track during practices sounds like more fun than shivering in the stands.  Good for you!

Jooj ~ good luck with the farm stuff selling.  Do you have an estimated date for your move yet?  How much time do you have?

After only about 2 hours of sleep last night, I'm not feeling particularly motivated today.  The chiro wants me to run every day until my next appointment though (tomorrow), so I'll get out there for at least a couple of miles later on today.  At least it's sunny and warm-ish.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#12 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM

run.gif2011 Dingo Race Results  partytime.gif

babybugmama - Walt Disney World Half Marathon - January 8 (First half of Goofy challenge) - 2:21:14
babybugmama - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9 (Completion of Goofy Challenge) - 5:08:02
Nickaroloberry - Disney Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 4:59:14 (PR!)

HomeBirthMommy - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 6:12:57

Realrellim - Frosty's Frozen 5 and 10, 10 miles - Jaunary 15 - 1:33:51

Tjsmama - Yeti Chase 10K - January 22 - 1:05:18

Realrellim - Snowman Stampede 10 miles - February 19 - 1:29:05

Nickarolaberry - Scrub J 10K - February 19 - 1:01:42

JayGee - Ofall0n YMCA Indoor Triathlon - February 26 - 47:14

modmom - Disney Princess Half Marathon - February 27 - 2:16

Runningmommy - 10K - March 5 - 47:16

Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 13 - 2:03:50 (PR!)

Nickarolaberry - Springfest 5K - March 19 - 26:43 (PR!)

MelW - CVRR Half Marathon - March 20 - 2:10:51 (PR!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:34:57 (PR!)

2010 Results

#13 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Welcome new Dingos! Happy March.

Jo, hugs on all the relocation stress. Big time stress, I know. Remember to BREATHE.

Memiles, excellent getting back to running!

Sorry for not good personals.

Just got back from my appt. at the gastroenterologist. Prelim diagnosis, IBS (duh) -- Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Which, as he said, is a diagnosis of exclusion (i.e. they don't know what else is wrong). He strongly suspects a gluten intolerance at the least, and is sending me for testing for Celiac due to what I'm telling him. This comes as no surprise to me but I have not wanted to confront this possibility as it is such a huge and overwhelming lifestyle change. In the meantime he suggested strongly that I start a) taking a very powerful probiotic; b) clean up my diet in general (go off diet soda, which I've been working on and making great progress; generally try and be more conscious of whole foods etc. which I've gotten lazy about since starting a full time job); and c) work towards lessening and eventually eliminating gluten from my diet.

I must say it's distressing and stressful. Totally overwhelming. But I am going to take baby steps and see how things go. In any case I have to go back in 6 weeks and if things haven't really improved he wants to do a colonoscopy. Yech.

Sorry for TMI.

Anyway, looking forward to a run with my students in a couple hours. Should be fun.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#14 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Nic, you CAN do this.  As a person who has done it, and now as one working in an office with an ND who kind of specializes in food intolerance issues, I can tell you that it is 150% worth it.  I also suggest doing the gluten cold turkey.  That sounds harsh, but hear me out:  you are going to feel deprived either way, but if it really is celiac (or even if it's not, and it's a gluten intolerance of another stripe), if you are feeling deprived AND not feeling any better you are going to hate it even more.  If you go all the way you will really know for sure, and if gluten is the issue, you are going to feel amazing and it will seem much more worth it.  

I'd also say not to put too much stock in the celiac label.  If you eliminate the gluten and you feel better, you can call yourself celiac, gluten intolerant, allergic, or a fluffy unicorn who can't eat gluten, it all means that your body doesn't want you to eat it.  If you don't eat it, you will be healthier if your body doesn't like it.  Celiac is only one form of gluten intolerance, and the testing sometimes iffy.

Let me know if you want to chat about it, need help, need to rant and moan or need some resources.  I've been there with both myself and Ellie, and now at work I've become the go-to girl for the newly diagnosed.  

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#15 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks MM. How in the world do I start? And in a house where no one else will be doing this?!

I just want to sit down and cry because it feels so scary.

And my dad rolled his eyes (well I don't know because I didn't see but that's what it sounded like) and was like, 'this is the newest fad - I doubt you've gone your whole life eating bread and now all of a sudden it's a problem.'

Of course I have had an iffy stomach all my life too. But now I feel very unconfident, like I'm making stuff up or something. Which I'm not...but...you know what I mean?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#16 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Oh, I know.  I was diagnosed with IBS in college, always had digestion issues, always blew them off.  Then the migraines and skin rashes started.   Looking back, I can also see how gluten made me feel fuzzy-headed, tired, irritable.

Start by reading THIS.  I don't recommend starting by using her recipes as they are incredibly complicated, but her attitude about the way she eats changed my outlook completely.  It's not about being deprived, it's about being healthy.  There is a whole world of naturally gluten free foods out there- meat!  veggies!  fruit!  dairy products!  Nuts!  Eggs!- that are naturally gluten free, so look there first.  Find the joys in beautiful whole foods, then make a few substitutions here and there and it's really not that hard.  The hard part is staying GF while eating a diet of processed foods, so if you can do without those you have a much easier time.  From Shauna's website there are literally hundreds of links, all about living gluten free.

Our house isn't gluten free, but Ellie and I are.  Dinners are gluten free just because it's the one we all eat together.  That was actually not that hard- we found a GF pasta that is fine for the entire family (Tinkyada), focus on rice and potatoes for carbs with dinner, use buy corn tortillas for mex night (dh and dd still eat flour, we just make 2 small pans if it's enchiladas).  Tamari sauce is easy to fine and is interchangeable with soy sauce. 

We've found baked goods that are, IMO, better than traditional.  Pamela's cake mixes are fabulous, as are the brownies.  Bob's Red Mill has tons of GF options including oatmeal and an all purpose flour that we sub directly for wheat flour in recipes calling for small amounts.  Both brands have pancake mix, when we do pancakes or waffles I just mix up two batches and cook the GF ones first.  I am scared of GF baking from scratch, but others have had fun exploring the options.  It's not easy but the resources are out there, I would just stay away from that until you feel confident in regular cooking.

Some great brands for premade foods- Ener-G for hot dog/hamburger buns.  I don't love their bread, but toasted they are the best subs I've found.

Udi's  for bread, muffins, etc.  Rudy's is also amazing (and Costco carries it in our area!).  Lara bars.  Speaking of Costco, they seem to have a ton of gluten free snacks and foods available lately.  

If you have a food co-op store or natural food store in your area they should have a dedicated GF section because, as your dad said, it's trendy.  It's trial and error on what's good, we've thrown away more foods than I'd care to think of, but there are lots of packaged foods out there. It's expensive, so we stay with the whole foods as much as possible, but it's nice for a treat, for travelling, etc.  With any conventional foods, if you google "item name, gluten", you should be able to find the answer really quickly.  When in doubt, I use the safe/unsafe food list here .   For quick reference, packaged foods are required to list common allergens on the back but they just cover wheat, so you need to look for other gluten grains (rye, barley, oats are generally contaminated with gluten when used in packaged food).

I know it's overwhelming.  Feel free to email/text/FB/call if you have a question about something specific, I'm happy to help.  I've answered questions from friends who are calling from a grocery store asking "what can I use for this?". 

#17 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Welcome Jenna and way to go with making progress.

Nic, we're gluten-free here (and corn, dairy, citrus, peanut, egg, and tomato-free, too). I agree with the cold turkey strategy, too. Focus on what you CAN eat, and if you can meal plan a week's worth of food made mostly from scratch. Get a good gluten list of where it hides, and read some GF blogs for awesome meal ideas. I generally don't buy special GF products because of our corn issues, but having a stash of rice pasta, rice cackers, etc. on hand can be helpful. And gluten-free beer, too wink1.gif

Life seems to be conspiring against me running this week. Yesterday schools were closed because of fears of power outage from a big storm that wasn't that bad. Then my youngest was sent home from daycare with a snotty nose that turned into a bloody snotty nose last night. I'm home again with her today and also a friend's DD who is off sick. And we've had at least a dusting of snow every night greensad.gif

For March goals, it's finishing the half marathon on the 20th, and within the 2 1/2 hour time limit, since I didn't register to start with the walkers!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#18 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Subbing

RR: rest day, starting to stress about Saturday's race as I haven't raced in so long. 

NRR: just got news that a friend's nephew (6yo I think)  who has been fighting tumors on the spine, who has gone through all kinds of medical treatments and procedures (just last week dialysis and stem cell transplant) is now in liver failure.  my heart is in my stomach. 

#19 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Well, I managed to run!  I did 4 miles on the treadmill, and while I'm still tired, I am feeling better healthwise (I know I'm fighting off viruses).  I am having some tendonitis issues in the leg that was broken, but it is manageable with icing and massage.

Nic - You can do it!  What I have heard from people that are faced with food intolerances/allergies, is that there is a mourning period where they need to grieve the loss of the food that they are no longer able to have.  I think it is important to allow yourself that, but to also focus on feeling better, and how much that is worth!

Welcome Jenna!!!!

#20 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM

RM, hug2.gif So, so sorry.

JayGee, I'm not leaving until the kids finish the school year (or around there), but dh will likely be gone the second week of April. We have one month to get rid of all the stuff, basically, and we may or may not be trying to sell the house, based on the buyout offer, and I am truly trying not to stress over it. So much is out of my hands.

Nick, if anyone can do gluten-free, a kosher observant Jew can, right? shy.gif I mean, I totally understand that bread is that parve thing in your life that keeps it simpler, but you value whole foods, which will make it easier on you, AND you are all about finding the info you need. Look at the treasure trove MM just loaded you with. YOU can do it! And thank you for the relo sympathy. It goes on. I am exercising and doing my best to breathe and recognize my limits.

And speaking of MM, I have been watching your running v. weather battle on FB. You rock.

RR: 60min on the elliptical, 10 on the arc trainer, weight machines and crunches and squats, and a whirlpool and sauna. I am not a new woman, but I feel nurtured. Making dinner for the old neighbor tonight, might be the last time.

Going to do my best to finish selling the livestock over the next two weeks, too. Once the animals are gone, we can clean the barn. Once the barn is clean, we can sell the tractor. And from there, it cascades into increasing simplicity. I found one very large suitcase at a thrift store which I will disinfect, and now I need to find 3 more. They only need to make it to Dubai, so I am not super-picky.

Having a sale next weekend, hoping to sell off a couple trailers, lots of tools, and maybe some household stuff. It's hard to know how much capital we have locked up in stuff, but it is a lot. Wow.

Welcome, Juvysen! If you're three weeks in, sounds like your habit is forming...

#21 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Jo reminded me:  many gluten free baked goods are kosher, as they try to cover as many allergens they can in many of the foods.  And, in an attempt to document this fact, I just came across this site dedicated to kosher gf cooking.  

#22 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, ladies, I'd like opinions... as I said, I'm 3 weeks in, I've been going to the gym 3x a week and doing 2 miles or so walk/run on the treadmill. Yesterday I made progress and was able to go a bit faster and did 2.6 miles... I want/need to get out of the house today, but I'm torn on whether to go run or do something else out of the house? I'm worried about overtraining, though I eventually want to be running every day. I was feeling good yesterday and still feel good today with only minor muscle soreness (really hardly any). I just don't want to get injured, yk?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#23 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM

RM, I'm so sorry. greensad.gif

Jo, I'd love to hear more about your mystical experience some time, if you're willing.

Welcome, Jenna!

RR: a quick 4m today between work and picking the kids up from school - I don't get that chance very often and it was great. Dh comes home tomorrow from a week of travel and I'm going to get some miles + a buncha work in this weekend. I'm pretty stressed about some committee work I've been doing, and contemplating some career moves - just dispiriting.

I managed to pick up flowers for my kids' teachers for teacher appreciation today in between dropoff for orchestra and regular dropoff. I got some extra in case any other kids forgot, and at least one of dd's classmates did, so that felt good. And I had a *lot* of fun teaching formal logic - my students really got into it and mostly did a pretty good job.

One more week until spring break, and I am looking forward to it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#24 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Oh my gosh, MM, thank you for all those links. And Jo and everyone, thank you for the support. It means a lot.

For dinner we had stuffed cabbage (pre-made, kosher-for-Passover which means no gluten anyway and I don't know why it was in the store but it was, frozen section) and rice. And spinach salad. Everyone ate and everyone was fine.

So, meal 1...ok. Phew.

Dh was surprised but to my surprise, did not denigrate or roll his eyes at this. I really thought he would as he tends to be suspicious of any medical diagnosis (odd for a surgeon but whatever). Hopefully he will be supportive.

The funny thing is, I don't eat a lot of bread at all. Tangent -- when we eat we make a blessing both before and after our food. What that blessing is changes based on what the food is. But bread is always considered a 'meal' so the blessing that comes after eating bread (even if it was only meant as a snack, but it's not considered that because it's...bread) is so long that it is rarely worth it to bother unless you're really eating a whole meal or a festive meal. But I do like pasta, and carbs in general.

I'm going to hopefully just focus on foods right now and worry (or not) about issues like cross-contamination etc. later. Maybe that's a bad idea but I already have two full sets of dishes/pans/etc. (kosher rules) and don't foresee a whole other bunch of kitchen stuff!

And how do you keep your pantry separate?

Ok next week is spring break so hopefully I'll have time to work into this.

Anyway, had a nice and therapeutic 3 mile run with my students. One of them stuck with me almost the entire 3 miles, so that was great! The others are making progress too.

#25 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Happy March!  Will this be the month all of our snow melts?  Doubtful.  Hopeful, though.

KJoslyn--I was sorry to read on Facebook about the surgery findings.  I hope, as was JayGee's experience, that you will still be able to be active.

JayGee--I'm so sorry about your DD; I hope you were able to rest all day.  When my kids are up sick, I'm just trashed the next day.

JenLove--Don't just lurk!  Talk to us!

bec--I hope you also got some rest and manage to avoid your DH's stuff.  Strep is especially awful.

1jooj--I keep thinking of you and your move, and I'm hoping everything cascades in a manageable way.

memiles--I'm glad you're running again!  I also admire your battles with the weather.  Cold and I are not friends.

Juvysen--Thanks for joining up with us!  I'm the poster child for overtraining and getting injured, so I can't help you with your question.

Nic--I'm sorry your dad made you doubt yourself, but it sounds like you're moving in the right direction, and have a great resource here.  Wouldn't it be so great if you were able to change your diet and make a lifetime of stomach issues disappear?

Gaye--Did you have your pediatric oncology rotation today?  How did it go?  The two little ones I know who have fought and are fighting cancer are both incredibly energetic, active, and positive, despite their difficulties.  I don't know if that would make it easier or harder to work with them.

I haven't run since Monday.  Eek.  I started feeling kind of crummy, like I was coming down with a nasty cold, and so I decided to just ditch a couple of days.  On Tuesday I spent my running time at the used-clothes store trying things on and buying things.  Fun!  Yesterday and today I dropped DS off at school and then came home and took a nap.  A nap!  I can't ever recall, except for rare cases when I'm VERY sick, intentionally lying down and taking a nap.  For the past two days, though, that's what I've done.

Let me tell you--I feel GREAT.  I might give up running and just take up napping.  It's amazing what one extra hour of sleep, by myself, in an absolutely quiet house, will do.  I feel like it shouldn't make as much of a difference as it has.

Anyway, this isn't really a napping thread so I'll stop blathering on about it.

Off to do my taxes and plan what toys I'm going to buy myself with my portion of the refund money.  Hooray!

#26 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Happy March.  Thanks Bec, and like there was anyone who doubted your dingoness. Pfff.

Just subbing.

Oh, actually I did do a short pilates class today and found that my upper thigh muscles seem to be trying to stage their own little coup.  They did not want to do what I was telling them to do.  Honestly it was more than a little alarming.  I'm hoping that all it is is super-tight hams that I can soothe if I stay focused but it felt really weird, like I was trying to lift someone else's leg with my mind.  Not very cool.  But I'm plotting how I can go to the full class, it's really an hour and a half but it starts before I can drop Alison at school.  Anyway.

Memiles, it's good to see you back and I'm glad you think this winter has been especially wet.  It's been hard to keep my chins up.

Welcome Jenna!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#27 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 PM

la~It was yesterday. It was actually an unusually slow day in the clinic, but I got to see some cool stuff, and some super cute kids. Heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time, ya know?

I am so very, very, very tired. But, I survived my 44 hours of clinical this week. Only 8 hours of class left to go, and then I get to have some fun! joy.gif I have tickets to a hockey game tomorrow night that I'm taking a girlfriend to, and then skiing on Saturday with another girlfriend and her DH. Just need to survive 8 supremely boring hours of class...

Oh, thank you to my ss! Got two fun packages in the mail yesterday with lots of goodies. I absolutely LOVE the notepads with the magnet on the back...they're perfect for grocery lists, and I had just finished up the one that my ss last year sent me! love.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#28 of 511 Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Nick--another vote for "you can do this." Adjusting to a new diet is hard but once you find alternatives you like it gets much easier. Plus, there's so much more tasty GF stuff out there now than there was eight years ago when we suspected DH might have issues with it. I have a great GF all-purpose flour mix recipe that I use for baked goods that I can PM you. I've used in birthday cakes, zucchini bread, and cookies and even the non-GF people love them. The Pamela's mixes are great too. We use them a lot, not for the GF part but because they are also dairy-free. And super-yummy. eat.gif

Speaking of cakes, did I mention that J's birthday is a week from tomorrow? How did that happen? I keep telling people that she isn't allowed to turn 1 until sometime this summer. I'm not ready.

No FM today, but I did some decent speedwork yesterday pushing the double jogger. I hope to fit in the abs video tonight but we'll see. Grading calls.

In NRR: DH is making me crazy. R's teacher needs to schedule a 10-minute conference for anyone with an ALP, so we put down our time preferences on the form. Just before school started today she asked if I preferred a slightly later time (15 minutes before kindergarten starts vs 45 minutes before) and I said sure, but apparently DH has a tenure meeting then and could only do the earlier time. He's angry that I didn't remember his schedule (as if I don't have anything better to do than remember his ever-changing schedule of meetings) and throwing a hissy fit in the form of asking me about stuff I've told him (answer: everything is in the blue school folder) and "why won't you just tell me these things?" (because I told you where everything is stored at the beginning of the year so you wouldn't ask me about it all year long) and in response to my asking why he need to be there for a 10-minute meeting, "because I don't want the information filtered through you." Lovely. eyesroll.gif He is in a MOOD this week. irked.gif

ETA: sorry to be all about me. I'll be better about personals tomorrow.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#29 of 511 Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Lisa, I'll definitely take that recipe. Thanks!

No FM for me this morning. 12 on the schedule this weekend, one week til the half marathon. Really hoping I get into NY or I may have to find another fall marathon or something...I will need a goal.

Gaye, way to go on finishing the clinicals! That's draining.

Lisa, hugs on the DH thing. Been there. Ugh. They don't want us to nag them, then they blame us when they have no idea what's flying. Uh huh.

Welcome, Jenna!

Lala, I'm with you on the naps!

Have a great friday everyone!

#30 of 511 Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 AM

subbing in..

dh who is back in town and I are going to the doc today if our fp doc can squeeze us in (he couldn't get me in when I had shingles last fall). After almost two weeks of this we need to know if it is flu/strep/or something else he can help us with. I was in tears last night and he was too manly to cry but did say his flight was hell and he thought his was sinus infection plus strep. Last time this happened he got better and I had strep from March to July depsite a ton of interventions. We almost went to the clinic last night but my records are at the regular doctor and I want my history with this mess taken into account.violin.gif

I thought when Feb ended we woud all magically feel better?!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page