I want to start walking for exercise, with a 6 month goal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We go on a yearly camp out with friends from a scout group our kids are in. This year we’ll probably be going to Silver Falls which has a ton of gorgeous water falls and a mega long hike.

I won’t be going on the mega long hike… I barely survived it 10 years ago when DH and I went LOL But I’d love to do some partial hikes and not feel like they’d kill me.

I am really out of shape L Way more than the other parents in the group. I am not prone to loving exercise and will be age 43 this summer. I work full time at a desk job. I had a medical issue almost 3 years ago (I still sort of have it but it’s much better) and I really stopped exercising then. I also need to lose weight.

DS is 7 years old and my main fitness goal has been to be in shape to enjoy long walks, hiking, camping and bicycling. So we can enjoy these things together.

The camp is labour day weekend and that gives me 6 months to improve my stamina.

Can I choose walking as my main exercise? I used to take a lunchtime walk at work fairly regularly. In fact I have a new pair of walking shoes I had bought some time ago.

The only issue is it rains a lot here and that will deter me. I think I could take an indoor walk as the building is quite large and mall like. It also involves stairs which could be good for hiking? I do not like treadmills and exercise machines…. They make me dizzy.

How much should I walk to start and then build to what?

I obviously have limited time at work. Two 15 min breaks and an hour lunch.

Should I try to walk more than once a day (eventually) maybe at home too?

Thanks for any advice and encouragement!

Rhianna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page