Weight loss after weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I weaned my 2-year old almost three weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the weight to come off. After I gave birth I lost 8 lbs. right away but I haven't lost any weight since. With my other two it was the same way. I lost weight initially and then my weight did not budge no matter how much or how hard I worked out. With all three I weighed the same after the initial weight loss so it seems my body liked that weight while nursing.

However this is the first time in 7.5 years that I haven't been nursing or pregnant so I have no idea what to expect right now. I was hoping the extra weight would just fall off of me but in three weeks nothing has changed. My weight an measurements have been the same for 1.5 years now!

If you didn't lose weight until after you weaned can you tell me how long it took?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

I am in the same boat....... I didn't lose the last 10 lbs till I weaned ds1 and it literally dropped off me (i mean i was watching what i ate and working out moderately)  I got pregnant right away and gained less the second time.  But I was in great shape and at my perfect weight by the time ds2 was a year.  But then my weight has crept up again and I'm trying to lose about 7 pounds again. I have dropped down to one feeding per day so maybe my body is still holding onto some weight because of the shift in nursing. Who knows!

Are you watching what you eat and getting exercise?  You might just have to kick start your body into weight loss mode by revving up your metabolism!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDuckGoose View Post

Are you watching what you eat and getting exercise?  You might just have to kick start your body into weight loss mode by revving up your metabolism!

For the past 1.5 years I've been working out 3-6 days a week. Four months ago I started lifting heavy (I was doing mostly cardio before with some light lifting) for an hour 6 days a week and doing an hour of cardio once or twice a week. I do not keep track of how many calories I eat but I'm vegan and eat a whole foods diet.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM

That's inspiring that you are working out so often!  And I'm sure you have  great whole foods diet. However it would be interesting to log your food for a week or so to see if you are getting enough calories or too many.  You can use fitday or sparkpeople. I am on spark and my calorie range is about 1300-1600. I find that I need to eat closer to the upper range to lose weight, especially when I am working out.  It really helps to see how many calories/fat/protein/carbs I am eating.

I am a believer in calories in calories out for weight loss.  In the past I have worked out like a maniac and eaten like a piglet and not seen great results.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDuckGoose View Post

That's inspiring that you are working out so often!  And I'm sure you have  great whole foods diet. However it would be interesting to log your food for a week or so to see if you are getting enough calories or too many.  You can use fitday or sparkpeople. I am on spark and my calorie range is about 1300-1600. I find that I need to eat closer to the upper range to lose weight, especially when I am working out.  It really helps to see how many calories/fat/protein/carbs I am eating.

I am a believer in calories in calories out for weight loss.  In the past I have worked out like a maniac and eaten like a piglet and not seen great results.

I agree with you about tracking my calories. I can't figure out if it's that I'm eating too much or not enough or if something else is going on. I feel like my calorie intake has decreased a bunch since I stopped nursing my son but I could be wrong.

I honestly hate the idea of tracking everything I eat though. I have to measure out every gram (literally) that my son eats due to his metabolic disorder (PKU) so the thought of doing it for me too makes me feel a little crazy.

That said I should probably suck it up and do it anyway just to get an idea of what I'm eating.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Yeah, it sounds kind of like one more chore, especially since you do it for your son. But at least you are used to it!! duck.gif

It doesn't take very long to understand your eating patterns and what to eat to stay on track though. Its not a daily process for me. I'll do it for a week and then not for a week and then check in for a day....... speaking of that I need to get back on it (snacking on a milano cookie as I type this! lol)

User Tag List