Lots to Lose - March - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 116 Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Starting the March thread....

I'm pairing up with a friend to start losing some weight. I think this will be good for me!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#2 of 116 Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i can't believe it's march already!!

i'm still plugging along, hope everyone else is doing great too!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#3 of 116 Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Thanks for starting a March thread! Happy to still be on my journey since the largest hurdle for me is usually burning out too soon and giving up. Really happy to be 10 weeks and 22 pounds into this journey already! Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to Mondays joy.gif

#4 of 116 Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Doing a 12-week weight-loss competition with my co-workers is motivating me more than anything I have ever done to lose weight to date.  I would recommend it to anyone.   It's not the money, it's more that I'm just super-competitive and hate to lose (as my DH will tell you!).  If anyone's interested in setting one up and wants to know specifics, send me a pm. But I will tell you, 12 weeks is a LOOONG TIME!  At about 8 weeks, I recently hit a wall, and I'm trying to get back that fighting spirit. 

Tired mama to my wild childenergy.gif ribbluyel.gif

#5 of 116 Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 AM

March already?! My birthday is in 2 days smile.gif

So, my goal for this month is to lose another 10-12 pounds, bringing me to a total loss of 35 or more pounds this year. It will also bring me down to 185, which I haven't seen in almost 3 years. I'm so happy we're all continuing to support each other and that the thread has not died out. Let's keep it alive!

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#6 of 116 Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Can't believe its March already either.  Weigh in tomorrow!

#7 of 116 Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

OK Ladies good news here! I have gotten my butt into gear. I unfortunately binged like a mad woman over the week but today I have officially gotten back on track. I read a bunch of motivational stuff and I prayed for help. I feel really good about this now and need to stop dwelling on my chocolate problems! Tonight I will do the weight loss hypnosis cd. I did pilates today and did 20 extra sit ups and wall push ups! I bought a magnetis white board and made out categories so I can meal plan the day before and checkoff my water, foods, and excercises. I have really stuck to my meal plan today and feel great!joy.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 116 Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Good job everyone!!

My tax refund splurge was a recumbent bike for my house. I've used every excuse in the book for not working out - it's too (insert any type of weather here) outside, I have to pay for child watch at the YMCA, inconvienent class times, not enough time, etc. Now I have no excuses. None. And it comes with 24 Jillian (from the Biggest Losers show) workouts for the bike. I'm really excited about this!

Of course, now I have to get my DH from buying chips and Oreos - he's 162lbs./6'2" tall - the same he weighed in high school! So not fair!!!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#9 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 AM

good morning, everyone.   it's weigh in day!

i'm at just -1 for the week.  i'm disappointed.. honestly, i don't know what else i could have done to make things better.. i worked hard, all week long, with exercise.  i counted my calories, kept them in the range that sparkpeople recommended.. even the lower end of that range.  

anyways, i'm at -17 for the last 7 weeks, and i am happy and proud of that.  my clothes are getting looser, and i guess i'll just keep pushing through.

hope everyone has a great weigh in today!

#10 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hey mamas -- 

May I play?  

I am 50 pounds overweight and currently living in Scandanavia where obesity is quite rare.  Nothing like being the fat woman in the room surrounded by willowy blonds.  As you can imagine, this has all gone to my head and I am a psychological whirlpool of anger and self blame and all sort of crappy negative feelings.

So, I am pulling out my American can-do vigor and I am going on a diet.  Yes, people.  It is time for an old fashioned, calorie counting type of diet for me.  I just need to knock off a few pounds and get my head back on straight.  Right now it is cocked at a loose angle and I am not feeling like myself at all.  

I am going to poke around on the weight watchers web site tonight.  I lost some weight using that program years ago and I need some structure to get my eating pulled together again.  Right now, I am grazing and munching and overeating everything in site and the more I eat, the more I want to eat.  

I have a membership to a local gym and plan to go tomorrow, work out and get a starting weight.  Tuesday will be my official weigh in day.  

50 pounds.  I am going to a wedding July 1st and would like to lose 30 by then.  That is 16 weeks from now, so less than 2 pounds per week.  That seems like a good goal.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#11 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 AM

Welcome Ruthie! I think your goal is really reasonable.

Weighed in today at 193. For some reason I don't feel like I lost 2 pounds. I weigh off and on all week and I'm lucky that Mondays always seem to catch the low end of the swing. At least it's been consistent. DH was hospitalized this week and I didn't eat the greatest, so I expected a gain. It must have been the 4.75 miles (4 running) 4 times last week that helped me along. This week I am running only 3 times, but I covered 5.25 miles yesterday (4.5 running). I'm also planning to bike and do strength training on the in-between days. I'd like to make it to the gym 6 times this week. It's been a few week since I accomplished that.

A new thing I'm trying - drinking my coffee black and drinking good wines instead of beer. I do love wine and the cost will keep it to a minimum for me.

Start weight: 220
Current Weight: 193
Goal Weight: 130
27 pounds in 9 weeks!

#12 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 AM

starting weight- 238 (9/09)
current weight- 190.1
goal weight- 130 (10/11)

Lost a pound surprisingly!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 AM

I have been AWOL for a month.  Yeah.  That kind of month (the kind where you do not think you are losing anything and give up in a fit of defeat).  I have not weighed myself in 3 weeks, and I have not exercised much as I have late winter doldrums.

Well, It was Monday so I decided to step on the scale.  I am down 10 pounds.  I stepped on and off and on and off expecting the scale to give me a higher number as I could not believe my eyes. (usually I step on and off and on and off praying for a lower number, lol).

So... I  am in .  I think I will weigh myself every few weeks though - my scale barely registers small losses and I do not think I am strong enough to get off and on the scale and only see small or no losses on a weekly bases.

I am going to try exercising more this week (a goal I am usually good at - I like to exercise, actually - I just get into ruts where I.don't.do.anything - and the ruts are hard to climb out of)   I also find I use a lot of butter on bread and in sauces -I will try to scale back on that.

#14 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Monday! WooHoo!

Started 1/1/11:  256 pounds

2/1/11:  242 pounds

3/1/11:  236 pounds

Today:  233 Pounds

I lost another 3 pounds this week and feel really motivated to continue doing that! I could not work out this week because I hurt my knee but I still made 3 pounds, which is awesome! Ready to work out now!

#15 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Bad weigh in, up 2 pounds.  I have no idea why.

#16 of 116 Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Montana do you think you could just be retaining water? Have you been eating a lot of salt lately?

#17 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 AM

Starting fresh today and feeling good about having a goal. 

I went to weight watchers online last night and got started.  The new program seems really good for me and as dorky as it seems, I really like the points tracker.  I was able to add my breakfast and lunch and it did the point calculations for me and I know what I have left for dinner.  I think I really, really, really need this kind of accountability for each and every meal.  I just don't seem to be able to trust my appetite.  If I listen to my stomach, I will eat enough for 3 people.  Maybe I have 3 stomachs?  

Went to the gym and did a solid 45 minutes on the elliptical.  Got a good sweat going with a nice elevated heart rate for the whole 45 minutes.  

Today was my official weight in day, so I have a starting point.  It was high, but not as high as I thought it would be.  That was a nice surprise.  I still should lose 50 pounds to be well within the range of a healthy BMI. 

sosurreal09 likes this.

#18 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well everyone, I did my first bike ride on my new recumbent bike - almost 5 miles and 178 calories in 30 minutes. I'm following the Jillian Michaels iFit workout program that comes with the bike, and it gets progressively harder. I've also ordered a scale - the first scale I've ever owned. It's supposed to arrive today and when it does, I promise to weigh myself. I am really not looking forward to seeing the number on the scale. I think it will be the heaviest I've ever been.

I've been working on adding routines and habits into my life and weighing and working out will have to become one of them. I know I need to do this.

#19 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Awesome job ladies!!! I have been doing well here too!

#20 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Montana do you think you could just be retaining water? Have you been eating a lot of salt lately?

No more than usual.  Maybe stress!

#21 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 03:24 PM

It could totally be stress. Do something good just for you winky.gif. I was feeling down the other day so I did my make up and dressed nice so I felt good about me. It was well appreciated by DH too haha

I am actually sticking to my eating plan and really making better choices. I am forcing myself to not be a gross slob and lounge around all day and I feel awesome! I have so much energy that I haven't had in soooo long. This is totally worth it!

#22 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Happy Birthday Motivated Mama!

~maddymama

#23 of 116 Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Hey ladies, I am a day late on the weigh in, but I am down 0.1kg so I am just going to go ahead and call that a maintain for the week.  Argh - but oh well.  I had someone ask me if I am losing weight today, and that felt awesome.

Lent starts tomorrow, so I am going to use that as a platform to boost up the healthy eating.  I am giving up all of the white starches - white sugar, white flour, white rice, and potatoes in all forms.  I am going to allow myself whole wheat and brown rice.  In addition to being sacrificial as a part of Lent, I think it should really boost the weight loss.  Win win!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#24 of 116 Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 AM

ugh.  i'm not doing so well.  i'm been kind of bummed out since monday... i only lost 1 lb despite working my butt off... and now i'm sick.  i took monday and tuesday "off" from exercising.. i'm just too stuffed up to do much.   i'm still not feeling great today, but i might try to get a walk on the treadmill in.  i have been sticking to my healthy eating though, and staying in my calorie range.  i don't have high hopes for this week :(

#25 of 116 Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4 View Post

ugh.  i'm not doing so well.  i'm been kind of bummed out since monday... i only lost 1 lb despite working my butt off... and now i'm sick.  i took monday and tuesday "off" from exercising.. i'm just too stuffed up to do much.   i'm still not feeling great today, but i might try to get a walk on the treadmill in.  i have been sticking to my healthy eating though, and staying in my calorie range.  i don't have high hopes for this week :(

Sticking to heathy food in your calorie range while being sick is a huge accomplishment.  Let your body heal and feel better soon.  The workouts will come as you mend.  

sosurreal09 likes this.

#26 of 116 Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM

I have finished day 2 of weight watchers.  Settling in and being mindful of my eating plan.  I got out for a long walk today with ds in a heavy stroller in the snow.  It was a heart pumping good walk.  My thighs and bum are sore.   

I have tomorrow mapped out and then need to shop on Friday to get ready for the weekend.  Weekends are always harder with dh around.  No fault of his really, I seem to slip in into "celebration" mode when he is here and find all kinds of reasons to snack on junk.  I have a shopping list and menu plan worked out that includes lots of salads and vegetable soups to help keep me on track and get through Sat and Sun.  

Happy healthy eating everyone.  

#27 of 116 Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, I've started actually comitting to losing weight three days ago. I've biked 6 miles each night before bed and reduced my portion sizes for every meal. I've been keeping a log of what I've been doing - exercise, miles biked, calories burnt, water/veggie/fruit intake and vitamins taken. I know I'm only supposed to weigh myself once a week, but I couldn't resist last night before bed. I've lost just over two pounds!! I'm sure it was just the daily flucuation (sp?) in my weight, but it feels good always.

I'm already feeling better about myself and feeling like I'm doing something good for my health. It's a work in progress and it'll take time, sweat, and tears, but I think I can do this!!

sosurreal09 likes this.

#28 of 116 Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Hey Ladies!  I'd like to join you for some accountability.  I started my weight loss journey before Christmas at 212 pounds.  During the holiday season I did really well and was able to avoid many temptations.  As soon as I started traveling again for work and working late hours, I've not been able to take any more off.  I need to get back to counting my calories, avoiding processed "quick" foods, and eliminating all white flour.  I need to recommit myself to being in the gym at least 4 times a week (but they will have to wait until I get over bronchitis).

Starting weight: 212

Goal weight: 130

Current weight: 202

Only 72 pounds to go!

Mom to cat.gif and looking forward to breastfeeding and nurturing future kids!  luxlove.gif
#29 of 116 Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 AM

welcome firefrenzy!

So, I can feel myself sliding off the wagon. I'm giving into temptations and not working as hard as I should be on exercise. The running is still going good, but I've let everything else slide. I haven't done strength training or a good bicycle ride in awhile. I'm eating too much at night. I'm enjoying too much wine. I'm eating out more and that's never good. So, here I am being accountable. Today is a run day for myself. I'm going to slowly pull myself back on the wagon this week.

#30 of 116 Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Motivated mama...

You have done so well in losing weight!  Forgive yourself for the past week, and move forward in the way you know you need to.

sosurreal09 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page