running mamas-- talk to me about post-baby pelvic discomfort please!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to be a runner. And then I was an occassional runner. And then I stopped, because I got into other things. I've wanted to get back into it, and so my brother signed me up for a race in May. I went out one day and did 2 gentle miles, and felt fine. So the next day I did the same. The following day when I tried to walk down stairs I almost cried my tailbone hurt so bad. I took that day off and tried to go back out the next day but it was excruciating. It literally feels like my sacrum is trying to twist around when I run. Not when I walk, just when I run. Another mama told me that it's common to experience pelvic pain when you run after having a baby. I'm just wondering if this is true, and what I can do about it. I haven't been able to run for 3 days, and it still hurts going up and down stairs.

(I'm not in running shape, but I'm thin, and I do a lot of walking, yoga, and pilates. DD is 20 months old.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 AM

After my babies, I developed SI joint disfunction and running really exacerbates it.  I go to the chiro once every couple of weeks and he realigns my SI joint and pelvis to keep things pain-free.  Have you thought about visiting a chiropractor? 

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 PM

I second the chiropractor. I had a very awkward, uncomfortable gait after baby #3 was born. Saw a chiro throughout pregnancy #4, got adjusted once after the birth (about two weeks after?) and have been fine since. She's eight weeks old and I can run very comfortably - not very far, but comfortable!

#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

I second the chiro suggestion...

I have another thought that maybe you tried to do tooo much too quickly.  Two miles (even gentle ones) is hard on the body if you haven't run in awhile.  Maybe you could start out slower and work your body into it.... like the Couch to 5K program.

Here's why I suggest this:  I used to be a runner and a swimmer, too.  After the birth of my 2nd baby, I tried running too much too soon (like a mile the first day out of the gate) and it hurt my knee.  I kept trying to run, and then baby my knee, but it kept hurting.  I eventually had to take a few months off for it to heal completely.  I started up with the C25K program, and it was gentle enough that there has been NO PAIN AT ALL... no shin pains, no ankle pain, no kneee pain, nothing.  I am finishing up week 7 and running about 2.5 miles at a time- easily.  It took a bit longer to get to the distance, but the lack of pain or injury was NICE and made up for the slow start.  In a few weeks I'll be up to 3 miles, and then from there I think I can easily add more distance as time allows.

Good luck!

~maddymama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page