Why do I do this????? ... a vent and a cry for help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
 
CI Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post



I think it all comes back to the fact that I am profoundly unhappy right now. A lot of it is weight related- I don't feel attractive, my clothes fit poorly, I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself. and I really miss my mom. I keep hearing that if I fix my mind the weight will "fall off".  That is why I struggle.  Why am I sabotaging myself?
 

 

This stood out for me in your post. Did you recently lose your mom? Grief can be hard on our minds & bodies. I lost my mom 13 years ago and I had a long grieving period during which I had trouble eating, sleeping, and exercising normally. It definitely took a toll.

 

On another note, I am one of those people with a larger frame & stocky/muscular build, coupled with a huge appetite. It is hard for me to lose weight, and even at my "skinny" weight, I have an "overweight" BMI. Like you, I put a lot of emphasis on eating whole, minimally processed healthy food. And I eat a lot of it. I can go a few days eating less than I feel like I want, but sooner or later my body just takes over, and I eat.  So, you're not alone...

 

A few things are helping me:

1) Exercising A LOT. I am realizing how much activity I really need. It has to be every day. It has to be strenuous. I've always considered myself active, but now I'm realizing that I have to be really, really active in order to keep my weight under control. My solution is to ride everywhere on my bike. It's the only thing that I can make time for on a regular basis, and it gives me a much better work-out than riding a cycle at the gym (which I never have time for anyway).

 

2) Cutting out sugar. Right now I have 2 main ways of doing this. I've made a "rule" that I'm not allowed to eat sugar at work. That's a biggie because I work in a building with several food outlets that sell lots of stuff that I would love to eat lots of. Plus people are always bringing in cookies & candy to share. So. No compromises, no sugary stuff at work. The other thing is that I don't keep sweets in the house. Well, mostly not. OK, there are a few sweets in the house. But not very many! And they are for everyone, not just for me.

 

I have been able to very slowly lose weight by making these changes. I figure, slow weight loss is fine. Why rush? If I am making changes that are truly healthy & sustainable, I will lose weight in the right way and settle into a weight that is perfect for me.

 

Please be gentle with yourself. True change is not easy.
 

 


Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

CI Mama is offline  
#32 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

I try to keep my calories at about 1800 but do cycle them so some days are closer to 2400/2600 

 


I think that statement right there is why you are not losing weight.  I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but 2400/2600 cals may make you GAIN, and sure will not make you lose.  1800 cals is probably what you need to maintain your weight.  You are getting discouraged from lack of progress, which makes you go, screw it, I'm going to eat this because I am not losing anyhow.

 

My advice?  Pick a goal cal range and stick to it.  Depending on your height, it should probably be about 1400.  Weigh and measure EVERYTHING that you eat.  And I mean everything.  Track it in a food diary.  Hold yourself accountable.

 

If you are eating because you are unhappy, that's something you need to deal with.  If you are using your unhappiness as an excuse to eat, then that needs to stop.  

 

Good luck.  Weight loss is hard, it really is.

 

MsFortune is offline  
#33 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
 
LCBMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OP, thanks so much for starting this thread. I am totally going to print out seashells list from page one and put it in my kitchen.

 

I also want to echo seashells who said that when she had been successful, it was when she eliminated or reduced theoretically healthy foods that just didn't work well in her body. For me that's grains and dairy. Wheat most of all, but it's not just a gluten issue for me. If I turn instead to rice, quinoa, etc, I still can't lose weight. If I eat delicious plain unsweetened organic creamy or non fat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc --- can't lose weight. Not all things are explained by western ideas about calories. Eastern ideas such as ayurveda would say that excess weight is part of a "kapha" constitution, and that heavy, cold, dense foods like dairy would aggravate that. When I've had success (and I read your post because I'm not a success story yet!) it was when I combined joyful exercise (not obligatory exercise) with non-processed food, lower cal choices when I had enough energy, lower non-processed carbs, and no grains or dairy. For me, that's what has worked. Wish me luck as I make a birthday cake for my husband!

 

One more thought - I want to encourage you to take the bravery and real need that led you to post, and use it to get yourself into a financially and emotionally affordable exploration of the deeper issues. I suspect, since you're so active and thoughtful and honest, that you've also got whatever defense mechanisms are needed to keep yourself from delving into issues that you are not yet ready to address. I also suspect that you ARE ready to address some issues, and you can pave the way for deeper exploration by starting to scratch at whatever is comfortable. How about a group setting - overeaters anonymous comes to mind, or a women's group? I know, I know, (boy do I know!) it would mean more work for the rest of your family in regard to childcare while you go do those things, but... take care of the mama, take care of the family. Your family needs you to be at your best, and that means that they're better off dealing with the inconvenience of you doing self-care, than the sadness of you not doing self care. I would even suggest that it's possible that replacing one workout per week with a therapeutic setting might take you further along the road you are seeking.

 

Thank you for the opportunity to remind myself of all these things that I badly needed to hear today! It was like writing a reply to myself. Blessings.


Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

LCBMAX is offline  
#34 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Marsupialmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 9,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I struggle with cleaning plates. One of the biggest helps was stop being the table cleaner.  Everyone is responcible for scrapping their left overs in the trash.  

Marsupialmom is offline  
#35 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: On a pilgrimage to Canterbury
Posts: 2,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aw, :hug, HollyBearsMom. I know what you are going through.

 

A few years back, I lost a whole bunch of weight, like 50 lbs. Then I had babies and had to do the whole thing over again. Learning about the times that I was more likely to do that helped me to (somewhat) get it under control.

 

The first thing is just to realize that sometimes you need more calories. If you are exercising a lot, you will need more calories. There is a point at which your body will hang on to the weight because it feels like it's not getting enough nourishment. I know you said you eat a lot of protein and healthy fat, and it sounds like your diet is really healthy, but I figured out that when I eat certain foods is almost as important as what I eat. Eating a carby breakfast, like a bagel or bowl of cereal, even if it is whole grain, will send me straight for munchies all day. My blood sugar does not really respond well to a lot of carbs at all, so I've put them to minimal carb intake at lunch and allow myself more at dinner. None at breakfast. I try to drink coffee with food because coffee all by itself will make me hungry 20 minutes after I drink it.

 

And then there is the emotional part. I am a big time emotional eater. If I'm stressed or depressed, or my anxiety is particularly bad, then I will be snacking all day long, or finishing off the kid's dinners. I find, especially with kid's meals, that I feel like them not finishing it is a reflection on my cooking (it's not rational, I'm just really proud of the food I make), so finishing it off makes me feel better about spending the time cooking it. I like the idea of putting it away. I don't like to use a lot of plastic, but ziplocs have saved me with this - I tell myself, if, after 30 minute, I still really want what's waiting in the fridge for me, I can have it. I almost never go back for it, and one of the kids will eat it later.

 

During times of high stress, and during PMS, I allow myself more calories, and pay careful attention that I also allow myself small amounts of sweets, and exempt myself from feeling guilty about it. Your body needs more calories during the last part of your cycle, and fighting it, just like fighting PMS, will just make you feel bad that you can't win. You don't have to gorge yourself, just allow yourself a 1/2 c of chocolate ice cream or an extra few slices of good cheese or whatever makes you happy and satisfied.

 

Lastly, if you feel like it's emotional, or body image related, a therapist might really be able to help you. I found that positive self-imagery and self talk/mantras helped me a lot, but everyone is different in what works for them. And remember that it's OKAY to mess up sometimes. You will always have tomorrow to try again and get it right.

InMediasRes is offline  
#36 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post
I think that statement right there is why you are not losing weight.  I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but 2400/2600 cals may make you GAIN, and sure will not make you lose.  1800 cals is probably what you need to maintain your weight.  You are getting discouraged from lack of progress, which makes you go, screw it, I'm going to eat this because I am not losing anyhow.

 

My advice?  Pick a goal cal range and stick to it.  Depending on your height, it should probably be about 1400.  Weigh and measure EVERYTHING that you eat.  And I mean everything.  Track it in a food diary.  Hold yourself accountable.

 

If you are eating because you are unhappy, that's something you need to deal with.  If you are using your unhappiness as an excuse to eat, then that needs to stop.  

 

Good luck.  Weight loss is hard, it really is.

 

I average 1800 calories a day.  Some days are more, some days are less but the average is 1800 which for my height, weight and activity level is correct for a 1-2 lb weight loss each week.This is per my PVP and every "diet" website out there.  But honestly that is my plan for the day but then I blow it (like I did yesterday). When you get 1800 calories a day and eat 400 finishing someones hamburger that doesn't leave much for the balance of the day.  With my blood sugar issues I can't decide not to eat anything else for the day which is when the calories go over.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

OP, thanks so much for starting this thread. I am totally going to print out seashells list from page one and put it in my kitchen.

 

I also want to echo seashells who said that when she had been successful, it was when she eliminated or reduced theoretically healthy foods that just didn't work well in her body. For me that's grains and dairy. Wheat most of all, but it's not just a gluten issue for me. If I turn instead to rice, quinoa, etc, I still can't lose weight. If I eat delicious plain unsweetened organic creamy or non fat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc --- can't lose weight. Not all things are explained by western ideas about calories. Eastern ideas such as ayurveda would say that excess weight is part of a "kapha" constitution, and that heavy, cold, dense foods like dairy would aggravate that. When I've had success (and I read your post because I'm not a success story yet!) it was when I combined joyful exercise (not obligatory exercise) with non-processed food, lower cal choices when I had enough energy, lower non-processed carbs, and no grains or dairy. For me, that's what has worked. Wish me luck as I make a birthday cake for my husband!

 

One more thought - I want to encourage you to take the bravery and real need that led you to post, and use it to get yourself into a financially and emotionally affordable exploration of the deeper issues. I suspect, since you're so active and thoughtful and honest, that you've also got whatever defense mechanisms are needed to keep yourself from delving into issues that you are not yet ready to address. I also suspect that you ARE ready to address some issues, and you can pave the way for deeper exploration by starting to scratch at whatever is comfortable. How about a group setting - overeaters anonymous comes to mind, or a women's group? I know, I know, (boy do I know!) it would mean more work for the rest of your family in regard to childcare while you go do those things, but... take care of the mama, take care of the family. Your family needs you to be at your best, and that means that they're better off dealing with the inconvenience of you doing self-care, than the sadness of you not doing self care. I would even suggest that it's possible that replacing one workout per week with a therapeutic setting might take you further along the road you are seeking.

 

Thank you for the opportunity to remind myself of all these things that I badly needed to hear today! It was like writing a reply to myself. Blessings.


Well my son may have some food allergies, waiting for the blood test results. An elimination diet may be in all of our futures! I do realize I need to get back to therapy but have not had the strength to go there.  I need to make myself a priority!

 

(and happy b-day to your husband!)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post

Aw, :hug, HollyBearsMom. I know what you are going through.

 

A few years back, I lost a whole bunch of weight, like 50 lbs. Then I had babies and had to do the whole thing over again. Learning about the times that I was more likely to do that helped me to (somewhat) get it under control.

 

The first thing is just to realize that sometimes you need more calories. If you are exercising a lot, you will need more calories. There is a point at which your body will hang on to the weight because it feels like it's not getting enough nourishment. I know you said you eat a lot of protein and healthy fat, and it sounds like your diet is really healthy, but I figured out that when I eat certain foods is almost as important as what I eat. Eating a carby breakfast, like a bagel or bowl of cereal, even if it is whole grain, will send me straight for munchies all day. My blood sugar does not really respond well to a lot of carbs at all, so I've put them to minimal carb intake at lunch and allow myself more at dinner. None at breakfast. I try to drink coffee with food because coffee all by itself will make me hungry 20 minutes after I drink it.

 

And then there is the emotional part. I am a big time emotional eater. If I'm stressed or depressed, or my anxiety is particularly bad, then I will be snacking all day long, or finishing off the kid's dinners. I find, especially with kid's meals, that I feel like them not finishing it is a reflection on my cooking (it's not rational, I'm just really proud of the food I make), so finishing it off makes me feel better about spending the time cooking it. I like the idea of putting it away. I don't like to use a lot of plastic, but ziplocs have saved me with this - I tell myself, if, after 30 minute, I still really want what's waiting in the fridge for me, I can have it. I almost never go back for it, and one of the kids will eat it later.

 

During times of high stress, and during PMS, I allow myself more calories, and pay careful attention that I also allow myself small amounts of sweets, and exempt myself from feeling guilty about it. Your body needs more calories during the last part of your cycle, and fighting it, just like fighting PMS, will just make you feel bad that you can't win. You don't have to gorge yourself, just allow yourself a 1/2 c of chocolate ice cream or an extra few slices of good cheese or whatever makes you happy and satisfied.

 

Lastly, if you feel like it's emotional, or body image related, a therapist might really be able to help you. I found that positive self-imagery and self talk/mantras helped me a lot, but everyone is different in what works for them. And remember that it's OKAY to mess up sometimes. You will always have tomorrow to try again and get it right.

thank you! One thing I did find was that I did need more calories.  I was trying to survive on 1200-1400 calories a day which was way too low.  Basically I was in starvation mode. Once I found the right balance of exercise and calories the weight did start to come off so I know that when I eat those calories I can be successful but I keep sabotaging myself and the cycle continues.

 

 

Linda- the multiquote thing stopped working but  wanted to say congrats on the 70 lbs! I am due for a trip to the library so will look for that book. thank you!
 

 


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#37 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
 
pacificbliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hug2.gif

 

A couple of thoughts:

 

How are you tracking your calories? If you are estimating portions and keeping a running tally you might be off. I was. Weighing/measuring what I eat was eye opening. As was forcing myself to enter it on fitday or now, weight watchers. Also, as silly as it sounds I won't eat something now because I am to lazy to enter it. A good example would be free samples.

 

My son scrapes his own plate in to the garbage.

 

If it's worth saving it goes directly into the fridge. I had a bad habit of picking at leftovers while cleaning up.

 

No eating standing up. The bad habit of snacking while cleaning up was twice as bad while cooking. A small taste for seasoning and that's it.

 

Maybe you're not trying to fill a void but just need to break some habits?

 

Additional thoughts on the psychological side:

 

Don't beat yourself up. This is a process right. We'll all have good days and bad days. So, you ate the rest of the hamburger and you are going to go way over your calories because you will need to eat something later. Ok, make the food later a sensible choice and try again tomorrow. Don't use it as an excuse to start a vicious cycle. Don't tell yourself, "oh well, I messed up so I might as well have cake." Stress plays a huge role in weight gain/loss. We all have so much going on at any given time. Don't make losing weight another thing you stress about.

 

Hang in there.

 

 

 

 

pacificbliss is offline  
#38 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Laggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think others have touched on this, but are you enjoying the exercise that you are doing? For me, my body image is directly tied to the exercise I am doing, but it has to be something I enjoy and get satisfaction from. I hated the gym so much that it just made me feel worse about myself, but if I go to yoga regularly I feel better about my body right away (even though it looks the same) and that makes a huge difference in my outlook.

 

I also have to have protein for breakfast; otherwise my whole day is thrown off, I feel generally crappy and will tend to crave sugars/carbs.

 

Eating for no reason is definitely a problem for me too though; super frustrating because DP will eat half his meal and just stop because he's full, whereas I will snack while cooking supper and then finish my whole plate just because it's yummy.


Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 
   
Laggie is offline  
#39 of 51 Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Ttarail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are over working out. That much cardio raises the cortisol levels of the body and can lead to binge eating.
Check out the dr mercola peak eight.
Also a lot of woman need to eat like 40% of cal from healthy fats. What ever your body tolerates: avocado, Mac nuts, pasture fed butter and dairy (any dairy makes me gain weight, others it really helps take off weight.)

Ttarail is offline  
#40 of 51 Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I eat my kids left overs.Try to give it to the dogs instead. If you know you are going to do it then just adjust your one meals to take in that extra. I know I like to snack in the afternoon,so instead of one big meal and snacks I just eat small snack meals in the afternoon.

 

Have you ever tried some of the veggie burgers? Taste decent and sweet potato fries are a great side.

mattemma04 is offline  
#41 of 51 Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 AM
 
sewaneecook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't read many of the posts, but one thing that I found interesting in your original post is that you spend a lot of time in the gym, but it seems like you only do one form of exercise.  When I only workout on the elliptical, I don't lose weight and I don't tone up very much.  I feel like I've gotten in a good workout, but it simply isn't effective for me as my only form of exercise.  I've found that doing a combo of strength and cardio (at the same time) to be some of the most effective workouts I've ever done.  Rather than just lifting an 8 pound weight, I combine it with doing squats.  Rather than just doing push-ups, I also do plenty of other moves in a push-up (or plank) position.  Plank jacks really help to strengthen, and get the heart rate up.  I don't just do leg raises, I combine it with other ab moves.  I can do a 20 minute cardio/strength training routine 3-5 days per week and it does more for me than 45 minutes 6 days per week on the elliptical.  A great place to start on this type of workout is the 30 Day Shred that Jillian Michaels does.  They are short workouts that make a quick difference.  When I do that type of workout a couple times a week and run 2-3 other days per week I notice a HUGE difference.


Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
sewaneecook is offline  
#42 of 51 Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 AM
 
bonjourmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi OP. I have a similar problem. I rarely admit it though. Even though you can see it just by looking at me.

Often times people who have never experienced overeating sort of have a "just deal with it" approach. Whether it stems emotionally or because of outward appearance whatever. I have been told many times "just fix it". 

This doesn't work! 

Something a pp said really resonated with me

 

Quote:
Does it make you feel safe? Invisable? Does it mean that you don't have to do something that you don't want to do or are afraid to do?

In my particular situation I grew up in a home where my food intake was constantly watched by others. Every time I wanted something to eat or drink one of my parents would surely comment upon it. I was told constantly that I needed to watch what I ate, even though I was this adorable and normal kiddo. So, for me, overeating started a long time ago, as maybe a way to be rebellious. I also had an incredibly stressful and "unsafe" home life. Eating was comfort. Eating is comfort. 

Now, I am a mommy and still dealing with this ever present issue. Being a mommy is stressful. I find myself eating because it makes me feel good, gives me instant energy, and keeps me going. Sort of. Because it is also weighing me down. (As an aside I LOVE to cook so I am double whammy, a great cook and a great eater)

Anyways, I have absolutely nothing to share in the form of advice except to be gentle with yourself. Try to stay away from looking at things that make you feel unattractive. (Because I am sure you are beautiful. You are a woman after all)

Try to stay focused on the task at hand...which is mommy, who needs to be healthy for kiddo all the days of his/her life, or for as long as possible. This is what has been helping me. 

 

Wishing you the very best.


 "Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
bonjourmama is offline  
#43 of 51 Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Mulvah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think you got some great advice and suggestions.  I think food "issues" are so complex.  I wish you the best.  hug2.gif

Mulvah is offline  
#44 of 51 Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
 
HeatherAtHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

delete


Blogging about renovations in our first home
HeatherAtHome is offline  
#45 of 51 Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM
 
camracrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to do a lot of snacking and emotional eating. I've really managed to cut down, but I have noticed myself doing it a little more again.

 

For me, I just wasn't happy with my situation at the time. My marriage wasn't where I wanted it to be. I loved my kids but didn't feel appreciated by them or my husband. I was in a place I never would have pictured myself being 10 years ago and frankly, I hardly ever made time for or did things just for myself. For instance I used to read all of the time, but I slowly stopped doing it because there just didn't seem to be enough time. Every time I would try to start a book, the kids would need me or something would come up and I never got to finish, so I just started doing it less and less. I also love photography but I hardly do that anymore. I didn't have any nice clothes that really made me feel good about myself because any time I had extra money for clothes I spent it on my kids to get them things they needed (I also thought that most things didn't fit or look right anyway because of the extra weight so why spend money on them?). I didn't feel good about myself and I didn't look good and I just rode that wave for far too long.

 

I finally decided to get serious about losing weight. I started going to the gym with a friend and that helped me stay motivated. I also started a low carb diet, which helped me A LOT with my urges to eat all of the time. I found that while I was doing low carb I was able to eat my meals and have small snacks without going overboard. It was surprising to me because I used to snack all of the time. The weight started to come off with the diet and exercise and I started to feel really good about myself. I threw out all the baggy, shapeless stuff I had been wearing and started wearing things that fit me better. I actually think people assumed I lost more weight than I did because I wasn't wearing huge clothes anymore! I got a nice haircut, starting wearing a little makeup everyday, and started wearing things like earrings which I hadn't worn in about 10 years. My husband even asked me if I was having an affair because I had made so many changes (in case anyone is wondering, the answer was NO! LOL)

 

My advice would be to try low carb to see if that helps with your urge to eat. I've noticed since I stopped doing it I am more likely to overeat or to think I want another helping when really, I don't need it (and my stomach feels stuffed and yucky afterwards!). Then if you aren't already doing nice things for yourself, start doing them. I never was a makeup girly girl but I find that I feel better about myself and look a lot better with some simple eye makeup and lip gloss. If you are wearing clothes that don't fit you well, donate them or trash them and get a few pieces that look great on you. I wouldn't go overboard because your shape will change as you drop the pounds and hopefully you will need much smaller clothes soon. Start doing a hobby that you used to love again or learn something that you've always wanted to try. When you are fully engaged in something you love to do eating is the last thing on your mind (well, unless your hobby was cooking or baking!!). I also find that simply getting out of the house reduces my urge to eat. If I am at home, the fridge and pantry are handy to just go and grab something but if I am at the park with my kids, at the library, or even just taking the dogs for a walk then food isn't accessible.

 

Good luck!!

camracrazy is offline  
#46 of 51 Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
 
journeymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Having a Gilly Water with McGonagall
Posts: 9,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Argh. Silly computer.

 


Someone moved my effing cheese.
journeymom is offline  
#47 of 51 Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
 
LeslieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post

I haven't read many of the posts, but one thing that I found interesting in your original post is that you spend a lot of time in the gym, but it seems like you only do one form of exercise.  When I only workout on the elliptical, I don't lose weight and I don't tone up very much.  I feel like I've gotten in a good workout, but it simply isn't effective for me as my only form of exercise.  I've found that doing a combo of strength and cardio (at the same time) to be some of the most effective workouts I've ever done.  Rather than just lifting an 8 pound weight, I combine it with doing squats.  Rather than just doing push-ups, I also do plenty of other moves in a push-up (or plank) position.  Plank jacks really help to strengthen, and get the heart rate up.  I don't just do leg raises, I combine it with other ab moves.  I can do a 20 minute cardio/strength training routine 3-5 days per week and it does more for me than 45 minutes 6 days per week on the elliptical.  A great place to start on this type of workout is the 30 Day Shred that Jillian Michaels does.  They are short workouts that make a quick difference.  When I do that type of workout a couple times a week and run 2-3 other days per week I notice a HUGE difference.

 

This is kind of what I was thinking, as well. It's possible you've hit a plateau in your exercise. I'm a competitive runner so I do a lot of running, but I really mix it up. I even mix up my runs to long and slow, short and fast, hills, mountains, etc. Part of my current cross training involves Insanity by Beachbody and Spinning. Right now I'm training for a 50K and a marathon, both in April, but after they're done, I will go back to incorporating strength training (Chalean Extreme and P90X, also by Beachbody) into my workouts. I find that if I don't mix it up, I get bored, and my body gets "bored". What I love about the Beachbody programs (and Jillian Michaels, as PP meantioned) is that they give you a program to follow daily. It keeps you on track and will really it mix up your regular gym workouts. It really is fun!

It just seems like you're doing well with your diet. That's why I wonder if it isn't an exercise plateau. Don't fret on your "mistake". It's going to happen. I tend to finish my son's food even when I'm stuffed, and I always wonder why I just did that!!! Maybe it's something instinctual. :)

 


Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
LeslieB is offline  
#48 of 51 Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
 
journeymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Having a Gilly Water with McGonagall
Posts: 9,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View PostThe extra weight served a purpose.

 

OP, let this rattle around in your brain for a while.  Don't force yourself to go anywhere.  Just sit with this idea.  And I agree with the the other poster who pointed out that you are obviously a thoughtful, introspective person.  You do have the capacity for this.

 

 

Quote:
Don't make losing weight another thing you stress about.

 

Totally.  You have no doubt heard this before, but it took you a while to get to this present state -you won't get to a new, healthier state quickly.  You're not just losing weight, you're exchanging some long time bad habits for some new, life-long good habits. 

 

Kind of off topic:  Someone mentioned Spark People.  I just started using the calorie/fitness counter at Livestrong.com.  It sounds similar and I'm having similar revelations. I'm new to counting calories and didn't realize what a decent size portion is.  And I LOVE that when I see the calculator says I'm getting close to my calorie limit I can go walk for 20 minutes or run the vacuum around the house, enter it into the equation and hurrah! calories are subtracted.

 

 

 


Someone moved my effing cheese.
journeymom is offline  
#49 of 51 Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!  First of thank you for all the good advice and food for thought (pun intended!).

 

I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have decided to reduce the amount of sugar/carbs in my diet and increase the amount of protein. Since I am better when I start with some structure before branching out on my own I decided to follow the 17 day diet.  If you are interested in following me I am posting in the nutrition forum.

 

thanks!

 

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1308169/the-17-day-diet-a-journal#post_16385756


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#50 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
 
camracrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Hi everyone!  First of thank you for all the good advice and food for thought (pun intended!).

 

I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have decided to reduce the amount of sugar/carbs in my diet and increase the amount of protein. Since I am better when I start with some structure before branching out on my own I decided to follow the 17 day diet.  If you are interested in following me I am posting in the nutrition forum.

 

thanks!

 

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1308169/the-17-day-diet-a-journal#post_16385756



Any updates on how your diet and exercise is going?

camracrazy is offline  
#51 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by camracrazy View Post

Any updates on how your diet and exercise is going?


Yes- come check out my thread! I am down 12 lbs!! biggrinbounce.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1308169/the-17-day-diet-a-journal

 


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off