Eat to Live ~ 6 Week Program - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to do this again and keep meaning to and then totally falter. I really think I need some sort of support system. Is anyone else doing this/interested in doing this? 

Information here

Book here

Dr. Fuhrman's website here

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Yes! I have the book and have followed the suggestions with good results in the past. Right now I am in the middle of a pretty intense cardio workout program which suggests a meal plan high in protein. Luckily, there are vegan substitutions. 

So for today:

B- oatmeal and blueberries with walnuts (maybe stir in some hemp protein powder?)

L- gigantic salad with garbanzo beans

apple

green smoothie if hungry? ( spinach, apple, bloobs, water and banana)

S- broc/tofu stirfry

watermelon and cantaloupe

Good luck!!!!  Thanks for the idea and motivation...

#3 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

I recently read both Eat to Live and his book geared towards feeding children. I am trying to change my eating habits to resemble his plan. It isn't as much of a stretch as it might be for some, I was already vegan (although a junk food vegan).

I think that for my family, slow change is easier than drastic, so I am not doing the 6 week plan, but instead making gradual changes.

The no salt thing is really hard. DH used to be a chef, so things tend to be heavily seasoned here. I have been cutting back, it will be a process. Also, I am not sure if I can giver up browned/roasted foods. I might be willing to risk cancer in order to enjoy that aspect of eating.

I was surprised at how little pushback I have gotten from the kids about switching snack foods to fruits/veggies from Teddy Grahams and cereal bars. They also haven't noticed my slow changeover to unsweetened soy milk - at this point, I just add a dash of the vanilla stuff to the top of each cup.

love.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Hi! I just started the 6 week program on Monday, March 21st. I have lost 8 pounds so far and most importantly I feel fabulous. I went straight from meat and dairy eating into this program and now I am not having any desire or cravings to eat that stuff. 

I just found this forum (again - was a member from a long time ago) and am excited about talking to doing ETL!

Michelle 

Mom to 2 wild and wonderful boys :)

Michelle
Mom to 2 wild and wonderful boys, Adam (6) and Jacob (3)

#5 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

So I am really sucking at this. I have yet to even start. I went ahead and typed up a basic plan for the whole thing. I am going to print it and place it on my fridge and really get to it. 

I need to remember that I have no energy, constant stomach aches and headaches, mood swings, and my knees are killing me. Not good at all. :(

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Hello all! I have been on the ETL plan for 7 days now, I am down almost 7 pounds. I feel good, but find it a challenge cooking without salt or oil. The experience so far has been such an eye opener, the amount of chemicals and fats that I was consuming every day is just scary.

#7 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM

I've been thinking about buying the book and doing this.  I have some questions for those of you who have already begun:

How easy will it be to integrate into my family of four?  I think the greatest resistance will be from DH.  I absolutely have to lose about 40 pounds.  DH is about 15 pounds overweight, but he is able to lose it very easily.  Overall I just want all of us to be healthier.

I saw someone mentioned about the non-roasting of food.  I don't think I can totally go without that either.  Does that present a huge problem?

What kind of time are we talking about?  I am a WOHM with two kids.  I do cook most nights, but I like "easy" meals.

Thanks a bunch if you can answer any of these questions!

#8 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post

Bolding mine.

I've been thinking about buying the book and doing this.  I have some questions for those of you who have already begun:

How easy will it be to integrate into my family of four?  I think the greatest resistance will be from DH.  I absolutely have to lose about 40 pounds.  DH is about 15 pounds overweight, but he is able to lose it very easily.  Overall I just want all of us to be healthier.

I understand that Dr. Fuhrman recommends going cold turkey, all-out 6-week trial diet-style.  My take on it is that when changing your family's diet to something fairly radical (compared to the standard American diet), it is okay to go slow.  You may not get results as fast, but it might be easier on the family.

A couple of things I did:

*We have a snack drawer.  It used to be full of pretzels and Teddy Grahams.  Now it has bananas, dates, dried apples, applesauce (unsweetened), fruit leather, fruit bars, and nuts.  Sometimes I put trail mix in there as well.

*I made a snack box for the fridge with cut up fruit in containers or snack sized baggies and cut up veggies in snack-sized baggies with dip.  Clementines also go in the box.  Sometimes I'll put soy yogurt in little containers as well.  I am still mixing vanilla and unsweetened.  Eventually, they'll get used to the unsweetened type.

*On top of the fridge, I keep some reasonably healthy cereal bars and leftover Halloween candy (yes, we still have some left!) for treats.  We also have 100% fruit popsicles in the freezer and vegan chocolate chips in the cupboard.  These things are "bedtime treat" foods.

*When we are out of the house, I pack healthy food to bring along.  I don't stress out if they get offered a lollipop by a store clerk, though.

*I have not purged our diet completely of some vegan substitutes for meat products, like deli slices.  I don't eat them during the day, but DH and the kids do.  I have reduced the number of dinners that we eat that feature these foods.  But during nice weather, sometimes you just want a veggie brat, yk?

*The no-sodium is really hard.  I am trying to just do it slowly.  I love ketchup/vegan mayo/vegan sour cream as much as DH and the kids.  I have been trying to avoid making meals where these would be natural accompaniments.  DH has noticed the reduction in salt, and he has taken the position that he knows it is better, so he is going to try to work with it.  I don't shoot him dirty looks if he salts the food on his plate, though.

I saw someone mentioned about the non-roasting of food.  I don't think I can totally go without that either.  Does that present a huge problem?

Basically, the no roasting/grilling is related to carcinogens that develop in burned food.  I am somewhat ignoring this rule.  I have been sauteeing things by using a shot of cooking spray, then adding water to "steam-fry" them.  It browns things a lot less than I typically would.  Other than that, I am still roasting and grilling.  A girl can only do so much

What kind of time are we talking about?  I am a WOHM with two kids.  I do cook most nights, but I like "easy" meals.

I don't think that the cooking dinner takes any more time than it used to, but being vegan, we were already chopping a lot of veggies/making our own sauces and dressings.  Some timesavers that I found include frozen kale, collards, spinach, and mixed greens.  You can mix them into just about anything quickly.  Also, the pre-bagged/tubbed salad mix is nice.  Both of these save the greens/lettuce chopping steps.

I do feel like I spend a lot of time chopping/peeling fruit for snacks.  I don't really know an affordable way to get around this.

Thanks a bunch if you can answer any of these questions!

love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page