April running is not just for Fools! - The April Dingo Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Go away kerc's cold. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

It'd be cool if they would reward us for our good behavior too, but I could totally see N saying well when you told me I couldn't do x,y, or z you were nasty and want to take a bean out.  I agree that it really makes me wonder about myself as a person...is *that* what I'm modeling?! I really don't think so.  I think she's gotten into bad habits of when she is either out of sorts or bored wanting to share the wealth.  And I think it's her way of managing stress with school.  

Maybe you could start it as just the positives?  Beans in for positive comments, smiles, actions.  See how far it takes you.

#62 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd has been giving us nasties lately too. I *know* it's not modeled at home. I am confident it is modeled at school...mostly because she frustratedly describes these incidents, which classmates do it, and why she thinks they do it. Then, in a rough moment, she turns around and hauls out their behavior. Frustrating! Our response has been to shorten/tighten the leash, which my kids probably need right now anyway. We are down to little more than a month left of school for them, a pile of work to do ahead to meet the curriculum requirements for the year, and very little time left to do all that remains to be done. So that means lots of chores and errands and work keeping them busy, which does tend to keep trouble at bay.

OMG dh might be leaving next week already, btw...

RR: Easy day. 15min warmup on the elliptical and 30min yoga. Slept terribly last night. My pain seems to be SI joints all the way through the IT band. Doc visit scheduled for next week. Since I can't bring pain meds with me, I might ask about shots into the joints. We'll see what he says.

#63 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM

FM:  Bike to work, walking for 5 hours, bike home.  I am happy with that as my workout today. 

I am going to see a reflexologist soon.  Calling for an appt. today.  He is great and has helped a few of my friends with issues from decade-old tendon damage to back alignment.  I hope he can help me with my knee/ITB issues... It isn't bad, but still irritating.  

Eating right is helping me out a lot.  I am feeling good.  Tomorrow I get to have beer, too.  I have been looking forward to that all week!

#64 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM

BBM ~ my DD had been giving similar attitude and it seemed in direct correlation to the time she spends with her friend K across the street eyesroll.gif.  K is nasty, just plain nasty, especially to her brothers.  So one night we all sat down and talked about how mean K is to her brothers and sometimes to my DD as well, and how it makes her feel.  I also started noticing and commenting on every time DD was kind to her brother and sister.  After a few weeks of this DD is behaving better, and choosing to not spend as much time with K. 

RR:  3 miles outside starting really slow and increasing pace each 1/2 mile, followed by 1700 yards in the pool.  Day 3 swim, done!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#65 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Hmmm, not sure how to word exactly what I'm thinking, so forgive me if I stumble around a bit.

Peers have an influence for sure.  Our kids get examples of how people behave, and they emulate them.  This is the essence of being social beings.  However, a lot of what we're talking about when it comes to being snotty comes from within.  My kid brother starts pounding on the piano when I'm trying to read by my favorite heat vent right next to the piano, and I'm going to want him to stop.  I could do it in a snotty, mean, or cruel fashion, or I could do it nicely and effectively.  Being exposed to many examples of other kids saying "shut up, you just make noise when you play, I wish you'd go away" is going to make the instinct to lash out at my kid brother stronger, but that's not to say I would never come up with a nasty thing to say in the absence of the example.  In the same way, only having heard my parents address such situations kindly, calmly, and effectively is not going to ensure that I react that way every time.  Each kid is going to have their own set point of where on the instinctively, impulsive response will fall relative to their examples.  That is, some kids will naturally be easier to coach and parent to kindness than others.  That's not to say that it's the fault of spending time with so-and-so.  Those instinctive and impulsive reactions were likely already there, just maybe brought up to the surface more readily through those examples. 

I guess this is a long way around to saying:

*kerc and bbm's kids are most definitely brought up in environments of overwhelming compassion and kindness.  I've spent enough time with both to know that with absolute certainty.  That's not the source of the issue.

*kerc and bbm's kids simply do not have a natural set point such that the impulse is close to the surface, and will require a childhood of coaching and coaxing.

*when a kid comes out with a nasty, it's not a failing of the kid, just an indicating of where they are on the growth curve of developing appropriate responses.

*when my kid spends time with other kids who are in a different point of that development, it's a place to talk with my kids about our expectations, discuss impulsiveness amongst our friends and ourselves, and evaluate whether or not the kid is in fact a friend.  DD spends a lot of time with a few kids a lot like E and N, and they are most certainly good friends.  DD's feelings do get hurt, but we also talk about how to call these friends on their behavior, how to model what you'd prefer, and continue to respect true friends.  Yeah, we do end up with maybe a few more of their mannerisms coming into our house, but they die out really quickly.  I think that the social learning is really a two-way street, as these kids do wear their emotions on their sleeves, but at the same time, spend a lot of time worrying about many things DD totally misses.  DD is certainly learning from these interactions, realizing that whoops evidently it matters if I fail to wipe my a$$ because a kid might comment on the fact that I stink.  And eeek maybe I should be picking my nose or complaining about the food I was just served.  I might hear about it.

Realrellim likes this.
#66 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
bec

Lots of good stuff going on here.  Having a 4th grade daughter who has been struggling with the nasty comments/tone/eyerolling/etc. I will chime in with my 2 cents.  No real conclusions, and my strategies have been imperfect (liking the bean jar idea).  I think this age is tough.  I think girls especially (but have talked to friends with boys who are having similar issues) are starting to spread their wings as far as their social/emotional interactions are concerned.  They are more independent with friends, siblings, and peers.  They are wanting this, but I think they are struggling with that transition.  I have seen a LOT of kids having a hard time with it.  Almost every single parent I speak to with a 4th grader is telling me the same thing.  So, I have to conclude that part of it is simply the age.  As difficult as it is to deal with (and believe me, I have had my feelings hurt a bunch this year as have Katie's siblings), I am wondering if it is just something I have to ride out.  I also wonder about what hormones are doing in their bodies right now.  They aren't quite at puberty, but I think there are big internal changes afoot. 

Anyway, I don't know what to conclude from all of that, but those are my thoughts, scattered though they are!

FM: I got an hour in the pool today with a good pyramid workout.  Swim 1 lap, kick 1 lap, swim 2 laps, kick 1...up to swim 5 laps, then back down to 1.  Turned out to be one cool down lap shy of a mile, so perfect!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#67 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM

I guess I'm really fortunate that N's nastiness never comes out with anyone else but her family.  It's all for us.  The bounty ;). 

In that way she's actually a really really good friend and does an amazing job articulating, for the most part, when her feelings are hurt or she has some un-met need.  Maybe that's a part of why it's so hard when she dishes out this nastiness to us at home. 

Now she has been exposed to a couple of sibling relationships that we all came away with our eyes bugging and we talked a lot about that and what she thought of that.  She loves her brother deeply, to the point that she will cry hysterically if she thinks he's been hurt badly.  And she knows how lucky she is that he truly believes she is the most amazing person on God's green earth.  He tells her daily how much he loves her, how pretty he thinks she is, how she's just the best at x, y, or z.  So when she's mean to him and I see these huge brown eyes fill with tears, I get a little angry.  Then again, when he purposefully takes some stuffy of hers and runs pell mell just to piss her off, I have to admit that's frustrating too (and okay a little funny).  But that's sibling stuff and in the grand scheme of things is little.  It's this out of the blue, over the top, just mean stuff.

Not two weeks ago with N's best best friend her mom called saying she was going to have to cancel a sleepover bc her dd was being so snarky.  I had such a clear head then (maybe because this little girl is just an amazing child who is so mello and level headed) that I could tell there was something else going on and her mom and I were able to talk about it and figure it out.  I suspect strongly that this is going on with N too. 

She isn't exposed to the bulk of peers like so many her age, she has really good models all around her, it really is more an issue of her own self control and abilty to manage whatever emotions she is feeling internally.  Big feelings, little body, nowhere for them to go.  

That said, I think she still is buggin' about hs-ing.  But she doesn't want to go to public school either.  She just wants to be able to sit on her duff and read cotton candy fairy books all.day.long. (snore.....).  Usually once she's into school she seems to genuinely like it, enjoys it, learns a great deal.  I will say she's not thrilled with our increased writing, but it really is neccesary at this point and I don't think it's overkill.  I think like anything challenging, given a little practice, it will get easier. She is already enjoying it more - the balance though is probably still harder > fun.  But I think very very soon it will be harder < fun.    So, somehow I have to find a way to help her express her feelings about school, her frustrations and how to cope.  Especially given that part of the coping is 'just deal with it.'  I want her to have fun with school. I don't want it to be this chore, kwim?  And yet while I think she'd have more 'fun' in a public school, I think she would suffer so much. I'm so confused about that part.  The academics: she's seriously doing Science easily at a 4th - 5th grade level (possibly more advanced, I'm not sure); LA 3rd or 4th grade level; and everything else close to grade level or slightly above.  Math is really the only thing that she's even close to grade level and that's about to change since she's almost done with 2nd grade math and we're moving on since she likes it so much.  See that's the thing. Everything we're doing for the most part is because she loves it. She asks for more.  But the starting it is the stinky part. Once were going, usually she's good.  So, I'm confused all the typical answers aren't fitting - I'm not pushing her too hard, I'm not making it too easy, but she's not in a classroom with a bunch of kids all day long. Sigh.

I really appreciate everyones discussion, it has been very interesting for me and helped me to sort out some of the details of what is actually bothering me.  I would love to continue the discussion if people feel inclined.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful answers and kind words.

In running news I'm running, but not as much as I want too.

Jo - hugs mama, soon it will all be behind you and you'll be breathing easy again.

#68 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Hi Mamas,

For those with parenting frustrations, one thing I highly recommend is to check out Non violent Communication (There are a ton of on line resources, and there is a readily available book). One main principle is that people have needs, and that these needs are what drives the interaction. Through the years, as my kids have grown older, and when they were little, it has been really effective to stop in the middle of the argument and just check in with "What is it that you need from me?" There is ALWAYS something they need, when they are behaving horribly. Once I can acknowlege their need, and possibly meet it, then we can get back to the original behavior or issue we are fighting about, and deal with it unemotionally. It's very gentle and effective.

Penelope, let me know when you come to town. That would be so lovely to get to see you again, especially if it is summer!!!!

Nic, hope you feel better soon. That sounds terrible. And I SO hear you on the hideous parties with tons of junk food and krap. OMG I hate them soooooo much.. And I don't care if I sound like a crabass either!

Bec, good for you rockin' it out in the pool. That is AWESOME!!!

Poppy and Nemesis, hope the ITB feels better soon. I had to sit out a season with it and remember how much that hurt. Stretch stretch stretch, and bike a lot!

Sorry for the short personals, short on time. My party ended up being really fun. A bunch of the people had been at the Zombie March up at the capitol (Even Zombies are staggering around carrying signs and protesting our Governor's actions!) and a "Leftist cocktail party" up there too so there were lots of funny stories. There were even healthy nibbles and I didn't spill all over my dress so I think the evening was a grand success.

Ran 5 yesterday, and did another 8 today, with lots of strength stuff too. I'm feeling appropriately tired now. I have about 8 weeks until the Marathon so the next 3 weeks are really going to be ones to work hard.

Tomorrow is my surgery day so won't have time to run, and will most likely have a hard time finding a chance to run on Thurs, Fri, Sat. So much going on. Its a bit much and am imagining how good it will feel when things aren't so busy.

I sat down on Sunday to do my treasure map, and found that it was coming out really simple. I think what I desire most in my life right now is space and time to methodically, joyfully and intentionally do all the things I need and want to do. Aside from a few things, there is nothing big or little that I desire really. One thing I do desire is to remove all the little and big things that cause me anxiety and make me feel distracted and rushed. I think this is going to translate into lots of empty, clean space on my map and lots of clean, unfilled space in my life.

Now I have to cook all sorts of meals for the next several days, since there won't be time to cook. My three girls are all home and doing art, while listening to Harry Potter. They are so busy and sweet, I love this so much :) ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#69 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM

ND you summarized it perfectly.  That's what I was trying to communicate. I can tell there is some need, she can sort of articulate that need, but it's not realistic.  No school just isn't realistic (well at least when it's no school all the time).  But that's what I'm working toward.

I really like what you've described for your treasure map.  It sounds lovely.  I just imagine crisp linens with pretty sunshine and little dust motes dancing in the open light.  With pine floors, and pretty colored rugs...dunno why that popped into my head.  Scratching head now.

#70 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM

ND ~ your post about unmet needs reminded me of another book I recently read that made a huge difference in our interactions with all three children, but most specifically with DD1.  I read The 5 Love Languages of Children out loud to DH and it really opened our eyes to how each of our children perceive love and how we need to best express our love for them.  DD1, it seems, has Words of Affirmation as her primary love language, and DH and I have both been trying to give her more of that.  Little things like putting notes in her lunch, commenting on her hard work, and complimenting her good behavior have made a huge difference in overall demeanor.  Anyway, the book is great and it works well with spouses too winky.gif (disclaimer: it does have a Christian bent to it).  All of this talk about 4th grade age girls has me scared though, since DD1 is only in 1st and showing a lot of this behavior already!

#71 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM

I need to go back and read the personals, seems like there is a lot going on in Dingo-land today. But for some comic relief, here is a pic (screen grab) of me and Mel at the finish line!

They are getting so tricky these days with their photos and not wanting people to poach them, which I totally understand. But that means we are blurry except in the upper right corner! lol.gif You can see our shirts at least blowkiss.gif

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#72 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

ND ~ your post about unmet needs reminded me of another book I recently read that made a huge difference in our interactions with all three children, but most specifically with DD1.  I read The 5 Love Languages of Children out loud to DH and it really opened our eyes to how each of our children perceive love and how we need to best express our love for them.  DD1, it seems, has Words of Affirmation as her primary love language, and DH and I have both been trying to give her more of that.  Little things like putting notes in her lunch, commenting on her hard work, and complimenting her good behavior have made a huge difference in overall demeanor.  Anyway, the book is great and it works well with spouses too winky.gif (disclaimer: it does have a Christian bent to it).  All of this talk about 4th grade age girls has me scared though, since DD1 is only in 1st and showing a lot of this behavior already!

I have to find this book1  This sounds like it could be exactly the thing I need for dd1.  I 'know' that she likes affirmation ad would love the little notes and whatnot but I'm terrible about acting on it.  Verbal affirmations yes, little love notes, notsomuch.  But thank you for the reminder.  I need to go there.

RR; Strength class - check.  The pilates part sucked as much as it always does but I'm getting stronger in my upper body.  And the chiro today actually did something that made a real difference in the pain in my hip!  It didn't last all day, but at least I know he knows that there's an issue in that spot and has a trick that helps.  Whew!

Other than that I've been wating time all day when I should be prepping for our trip tomorrow.  Anything in PDX I shouldn't miss Poppy?

Okay, sorry, I'm going to try and make myself useful.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#73 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Awesome pic! You guys look so cute, even when you're blurry! orngbiggrin.gif

As to my parenting difficulties, we are back to normal for the moment. We did talk a little bit yesterday about the fight, but I'm not sure how much he really got out of it. Lots of snuggles yesterday, though! I'm trying to be a little less rigid, and that seems to be a good thing. He didn't want to go for a run yesterday, so I waited till I dropped him off at school to go. I think that I probably just need to ease up a little on my control-freak tendencies, but if I could do that easily, I wouldn't be a control-freak, ya know? redface.gif

I ran 4 yesterday, and my legs felt really tired, so I was a little worried about running again today, but had plans to run with friends after class. It turned out that I felt great. Probably greatly aided by the fact that they were more than a minute/mile slower than my normal pace, but I'll take it. It felt good to NOT be the slowest one, for once! orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#74 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Hi everyone...hope its ok to join in. I am a momma to 3 humans with a house full of dogs and kitties. I am usually a runner (around 30-35 miles per week) but because I am sick of the treadmill and want to boost some speed , I have committed to doing 60 days of the Insanity workouts.  I am looking forward to some races this spring and summer, but am nervous as I haven't been able to run outside since SEPTEMBER!  Once the snow melts, I plan on taking out my 2 sled-dogs and run some trails. I do have a huge bear phobia due to encountering a few while running so I am trying to mentally map out some more human-traveled routes than the ones I usually use.

So far, I have decided to enter a 5k race in a few weeks and a 10k on the summer solstice. 

Forgive me if this has been covered, but do any of you run with your kids? My 9 year old DD would like to start going with me...is there a rule of thumb for distances? I am thinking of signing her up for x-country running in the fall if she wants. 

TIA

#75 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickinson View Post

Forgive me if this has been covered, but do any of you run with your kids? My 9 year old DD would like to start going with me...is there a rule of thumb for distances? I am thinking of signing her up for x-country running in the fall if she wants. 

Welcome! 

There's a program called Girls on the Run that works with girls that age and builds them up to a 5k in 6 (?) weeks.  I'd probably take that as a relatively conservative guide.  There are a few mamas here more experienced with them.

My 8 year old still comes along occasionally, but riding her scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

See that's the thing. Everything we're doing for the most part is because she loves it. She asks for more.  But the starting it is the stinky part. Once were going, usually she's good.  So, I'm confused all the typical answers aren't fitting - I'm not pushing her too hard, I'm not making it too easy, but she's not in a classroom with a bunch of kids all day long. Sigh.

I really appreciate everyones discussion, it has been very interesting for me and helped me to sort out some of the details of what is actually bothering me.  I would love to continue the discussion if people feel inclined.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful answers and kind words.

I'm also enjoying the discussion, and I'm contemplating a bean jar myself.  If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how it goes.

So above it sounds like the transitions are a problem.  Then take that apart and focus on it.  Have you tried doing this as you would a smaller child?  Warnings, and reliable pattern to the day, etc?  I have a friend (you can see her blog through my lj friends) who has math drills awaiting her kids at the breakfast table, and they do it before their breakfast is served.  That would be a royal disaster in this house of low morning blood sugar..., but you get the point - the schedule is there and you just do it as presented, though the transition into getting used to it might be a bit rough.

For DD, we have her map our her weekend responsibilities on a whiteboard in the middle of the living room.  Every weekend she needs to study spelling, do @#$%$ ALEKS online, and practice the flute.  She tends to pick times in the afternoon to do each, and then we've had decreasing levels of grumbling as we alert her to that her time is approaching.  It was painful the first 6 weekends or so that we did this, but it is getting easier and she is starting to tackle these tasks more readily and efficiently when the time does come.

#76 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM

We have a pretty set routine.  It's breakfast, while she's eating I get materials out and ready at the table, talk about what we're going to do for the day.  Then after she eats there's a short break and then we start with weather, then spelling, then various topics (depending on the day), and ending with math.  I don't think it's totally the transitions, as much as it's "I don't want to do *this*, I would rather do *that*." 

I have had the conversation with her many times about the importance of school and that whether it is with me teaching her or at a brick and mortar school, it is required.  By law she must be educated. Now there are some that would argue about my educational approach, but I'm not willing to debate that.  I do believe in how I'm approaching school and incorporate unschooling approaches as much and wherever I can.  But despite these repeated conversations, she continues at different times to buck having to do school.  This is where I struggle, how to help her cope with the frustration over having to do something she doesn't like to do.

So inasmuch as transition are issues, I think I help her manage that part well.  It's still like I said earlier - you gotta do it.  You can do it happily or unhappily, but sometimes you gotta do things you don't feel like doing.  But I really really like your idea of a positive bean jar.  I want to try that first.  Leave the negative for later, if it's not enough.  But I also would like to continue our conversations and see if I can help her see that she will have enough time for the things she wants to do.  Maybe expanding on that conversation about structuring her day so she is better able to meet her needs.

I've read the 5 love languages too and I liked it.  It actually helped me understand dh better.  It does apply well to kids and I love talking with parents about how they think their children understand their love.

Dickinson, my dd is 8 and I run with her from time to time. She did a 5k when she was 7 and did it in 32 something.  I think she's going to do another one with me on the 23rd.  I follow her lead completely.  We walk when she needs, jog when she wants, just totally go at her pace.  I did talk at first with her about stretching her energy out, not sprinting but just doing a nice and easy jog.  She's a natural! 

#77 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Man, I am feeling comforted and less alone with all this talk of fourth-grade girls and their mamas struggling with attitude. My sweet sweet dd can turn on a dime and be just snide and critical and flip ... oy. I am trying to be patient with her, and to give her as much of my undivided attention as I can, but it's an ongoing issue.

No running here. Hopefully tomorrow morning. I'm having a better week than some recent ones but am feeling like the world isn't all that steady around me.

Geo, I owe you a PM. blush.gif I'm working on it.

Took the kids to work with me today, oh my goodness. They did ok but I was a little tense all day getting them settled. And had one bad meeting where they were a little loud and I felt kind of frustrated with myself for not thinking ahead (they're on spring break, and I didn't notice somehow that I have not just one class, but also three meetings...) It's over, at least until Thursday when I take them again.

Gaye, you're getting great advice here. I'll only add that my dd had terrible tantrums around the same age, including some that had me just overwhelmed and totally not sure what to do next. I remember her yelling at me so much one day that I just picked up my dish from the table and walked to the other end of the house to avoid her, and she followed me, and it was this circle of ridiculous, with me trying to eat and not yell, and her howling and following me, needing that audience... It does get better, at least.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#78 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Plady - there is so much to see/do in PDX, hard to even narrow it down...and a lot has changed since I lived there. Are you going to see your friend C? She'll know smile.gif I'll pm you if I think of some really good ones. Enjoy!!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#79 of 369 Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM

Good evening!

I've had a pretty good week of running, including a nice six-miler today, but it's making me totally lame at night.  Both last night and tonight I fell asleep on the couch right after the kids went to bed.  Does running mean that I'll have no more relationship with DH?  Eek.  Tonight he was the first to fall asleep on the couch, so I don't feel as bad.  I just wish I weren't so sleepy.

I'm still a bit away from fourth grade, but finding the discussion interesting.  My DD is in first grade, in a K-2 school, and they do something similar to the bean jar.  Each classroom has a heart jar that the teachers can fill with little foam hearts when the kids are being especially kind or well behaved.  When the heart jar is filled, the class gets something like an extra-long recess.  Every morning along with the other announcements, the principal also says over the loudspeaker "and congratulations to Mrs. Smith's class who filled their heart jar for the third time!" or whatever, so there's that public recognition aspect, too.  It works really well with my DD and her classmates.

#80 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM
bec

I have tri class tonight.  Swim.  And I have a meeting after for the transition teams to try to make the transition for the kids transferring to the different elementary school next year easier.  We'll see how it goes. 

I had a very vivid dream last night that Jo and Nic were in my town, performing in a local talent show (there is no talent show other than the one at the kids' school).  I had wandered down to see what was going on, and saw their names on the list of performers (1jooj and Nickarolaberry) and got excited.  They had already performed, so I was searching the crowd to see if I could identify who they were.  As I was peering at a couple of women, they jumped up and ran over to me (having had the same Dingo recognition) and it was a wonderful spontaneous meetup.  Ah, if only it were so! luxlove.gif

#81 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Bec that's really funny!

So I have not run at all since Sunday and am feeling lethargic, dumpy, and puffy. Ugh. Just today I stopped bleeding enough to contemplate a run but I am so wiped out that I could not get out of bed early this morning to do it. I think I might need to pop some iron pills. I am definitely depleted.

I am having an anxiety attack over not getting enough mileage this week, gaining weight again, and not staying fast or getting faster. It's nice to have made so much progress this year but somehow it has translated into pressure on myself. How do I manage that?

I have a 10K this weekend. Dh said if I break 55 minutes he's taking me to Israel. I am not sure I can do that but it's worth a shot. Then my racing season is over an his (triathalons) begins so his training will be more prioritized and I will have to do my running when I can get the time -- mainly an issue with my long runs.

Ok, off to referee an analogy game going on in class.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#82 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Bec, I love your dream!

Nic ~ I'll bet you can his that 55 minute 10K.  By this weekend you'll be feeling much better from AF.  Your speed won't disappear and you'll still be skinny too!

Off to the Y this morning for a short swim and then spin class.  My chiro mentioned yet another possibility for the numbness and pain in my leg (which has progressed up to my butt...) ~ piriformis syndrome.  Basically, my piriformis is so tight that it's compressing the sciatic nerve.  He did ART on it on Monday, and will Graston it tomorrow.  Yesterday after the ART on Monday, I had no pain or numbness which is a good sign, I think.  It all goes back to those weak glutes.  Time to get back on the walking lunge train!

#83 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Aww Bec - what a sweet feel good dream, to recognize your sisters.

Oh sweet Nic - you are dealing with exactly what I had happening.  I was rocking my times, ignoring the loss of love, pushing myself to hard and while I cranked out a 1:50 half, I then injured my hip and have lost all speed. I'm coming back now and my moral?  Balance.  It's okay to have lighter weeks, it's okay if you don't beat your PR,  run for the love of running, celebrate the speed, rejoice the health, and rock the body....but balance.  If you don't make your 55, it is okay...there will be another 10k, another opportunity, and there will always be future goals.

Oh Jaygee - you and me both mama, I gots them weak cheeks.

#84 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
bec

I don't even want to talk about my saggy...um...Gluteus.  lol.gif

Nic - While I think you can totally do a 55 minute 10k, I also really like what BBM said about balance.  Honestly, I love the idea of a great reward for hard work accomplished, but there is something about how this carrot has been dangled in front of you for so long that just sort of bothers me.  Like if you don't meet a time goal, you aren't good enough.  I don't know.  Maybe it's my own insecurities that are coming into play, but I would find that an immense amount of pressure and stress, and would make me resentful.  You aren't a trained dog that gets a biscuit after learning how to sit.

Speaking of puppies, my 10 year old took it upon herself to teach the puppy how to "drop".  She did it really well, and gently and only using encouragement.  It gives me hope.

#85 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Nick--I hope you can make it. I also agree with what bec and BBM said (though I have trouble following that advice myself...).

Geo--I loved your post about children and behavior. Thank you. blowkiss.gif

Did 3 yesterday pushing the jogger in really gusty winds. At one point I thought I'd somehow tripped the front brake and stopped to check. That wasn't the problem. And then my ankle was sore last night and completely freaked me out, but everything seems to be fine again today, except for AF which arrived this morning. Hopefully it will be completely gone by Saturday's 1/2. The last time I ran it I had AF and I'd rather not deal with all that goes with it.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#86 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks mamas. You are all totally right. I heartbeat.gif  you all.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#87 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Thanks mamas. You are all totally right. I heartbeat.gif  you all.

Also, I find that when I back off on trying to be faster for several weeks, I discover huge gains when I return to speed work.  After my 10 miler Sunday, I will resume speed + (gasp) hills.  Hopefully that will bear out again. 

Gag, we're going to be suffering the consequences of DD's math placement next week.  She either falls more than a week behind in math, or she does a week's worth at home, including a test.  :(  All because she'll be spending the week doing the state-mandated achievement (NOT the NCLB achievement testing -- that's in May) and cognitive testing whose only purpose is gifted identification.  Anyone see the problem & irony here? 

So, we get to go head-to-head again on this at home.  DD's perspective is that she spends 7 hours in school and that time should be enough.  Frankly, I agree.  I'm thinking I'm nixing two weekends of ALEKS, with a politely worded email to the teacher.  I hope this doesn't burn any bridges.

#88 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM

So many obvious reasons why I hang out here...always the coolest place to check in. love.gif

My back was locked up this AM. I medicated, then came in to the Y and tried walking on the TM which was a no-go. So I came down to the mats and did yoga for about half an hour until it finally freed up, then hit the whirlpool and by the time I was showered and dressed again, I could put my socks on without a struggle. It's not perfect, but it's better than this morning, when I had a shuffling, old-lady walk because I couldn't lift my feet. So, more meds for the afternoon, I guess, and tomorrow is another day with new opportunities to get out and move.

Dh is working on booking our flights today. Although most days it doesn't feel like things are moving, they are.

ND, we are not only bag sisters...my TM sounds a lot like yours, too. Here's to a year of what we really need!

The sun is out and I have a nature field trip this afternoon. Have a great day, Dingos!

#89 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM

I agree with the wise Dingos, Nic.   At the same time, a big part of me hopes you go out and just soar.  I want him to pay up and stop taunting you.  I so admire your focus and drive.

On the topic of 4th grade girls, mine is now 6th.  She really started the snarky behavior in 5th, but it's been intense at times.  It's almost exclusively focused on her sister.  It's like she's incapable of saying something nice to her some days, or incapable of letting an opportunity to shoot the happy-go-lucky 7yo comments and behavior go by without negative comment.  This conversation has inspired me to talk with her about it in a more serious manner (rather than my "stop, that's rude") and try to change the behavior.

I was actually coming here to whine a bit.  I haven't run since last Wednesday, which was a disaster.  Painful, crampy, unfocused, crap.  Friday am I woke up with a sore throat, Friday it was bad enough that I skipped my run to go to urgent care for a strep test.  The weekend involved ZERO energy and feeling like crap.  Monday I skipped the run as I still didn't feel well and DH pulled out the paining supplies at 8am.  Yesterday I finally made it to the gym for some cardio and a yoga class.  And today...........it's snowing ugly, sloppy snow..  Last week was a fall back week on the half training plan, but now I've missed a 3 mile run and a 4 miler.  I have 7, my longest ever, scheduled for Saturday.  I'm supposed to do 4 today and had yoga planned for tomorrow.  I'm laying here on my couch trying to decide if I go out with my cold in the 35 degree slop (which is mostly rain by now), or if I go to the gym today and do the 4 tomorrow.  Or if I just scrap the entire half plan, do the 10 K and regroup for a race a few weeks later.  

Part of me thinks that this week of no running was exactly what my leg needed, but it doesn't feel much better than it did a week ago. I'm also thinking of saying "screw the half idea" and doing the Danskin in July.  I really feel like I need something to train for, but obviously my leg isn't liking the increased mileage.  Hmmmmmmm.

Someone tell me what to do!  Yes, I know the first step is doing something today.....

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#90 of 369 Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Update:  I did it anyway.  And miraculously the rain stopped and now it's sunny.  Of course, my leg is insane and I walked as much as I ran, but I did it.  

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page