April running is not just for Fools! - The April Dingo Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning all.

Off to my 10K.  Will report back later...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#122 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 AM
bec

Have fun with your race, Nic!  Remember, you have a pack of Dingos at your back!

Real - Rock that half, mama!  Wave to Gaye for me!orngbiggrin.gif

I am off in a little bit to my 5k.  I am running with my DH, and I am trying to really take to heart that I am doing this for fun, for health, and not for time.  I always do, but some part of me (probably not very deep inside) is competitive and wants to beat the next guy (especially if it is a guy).  I find that ironic considering how slow I am.  But, tell it to my inner caveman, I guess.  Anyway, I'm just trying to enjoy being healthy and able to run this summer without any time expectation.  It is 6:30, and I'm also having trouble with my chip.  It doesn't seem to be going on my shoe the way I remember (sliding on like a paperclip).  *sigh* I think I need the 3 page instructions.  Oh well.  My stopgap solution is to thread it through my roadid. 

Anyway, I'm rambling, but much love to all my Dingos! love.gif

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#123 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 AM

wave.gif

I have 5 miles with a friend this morning and then a 2 hour drive to watch ds1's soccer tournament and then we have to be home on time tomorrow for his lacrosse on Sunday. good thing the track meet isn;t until Monday. Didn;t I put y foot down and say only 1 sport per season, especially if he is keepinghis newspaper route?

It looks like we are moving to So Cal. We have the offer but haven't accepted it yet. Big decisions and as predicted the girls are focused on the beach, ds1 on what he would be leaving behind.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#124 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Tanking up on water before tomorrow's 10 miler.  I'm fretting over things like 763 feet of total elevation change, and it looks like of the up is in mile 6.  Add to it that tomorrow's race will be 30 (start)-40 (end) degrees warmer than all of my training runs.

So glad the heart bowl is going well BBM.

Run fast/hard/with heart bec and nic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

It looks like we are moving to So Cal. We have the offer but haven't accepted it yet. Big decisions and as predicted the girls are focused on the beach, ds1 on what he would be leaving behind.

How exciting!  What school?  (Or PM me/yahoo group.  I'm dying to know.)

#125 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Have great races today, racing dingos!

I slept in and am feeling astonishingly good - like, whoa - this is what rested feels like! I should do it more often. lol.gif We have ds's birthday party later today and I have a work party tonight to which dh is not coming, so I get to trot over to my colleague's house solo with a pan of brownies and be social, I guess. In the meantime I'm trying to get my mojo on for a 10m run, as I need a couple before my half in three weeks and today is my best shot at it for a while. I think I'll take something for GI irritation before I go, as (without being all TMI) it seems like a wise investment.

Ok, off to eat something small and find my running clothes amidst the huge pile of clean laundry...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#126 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 AM

bec, thanks for that link! Very helpful.

On my shopping trip with Mom yesterday, I bought a pair of Brooks Ariels. I've been running in Addictions for years and years, and Ariels are like Addictions on steroids, so I'm hopeful. Thinking this might help with some of the hip/back stuff, since I've lost track of how long I have been running in my current shoes (6mos?).

Dingo racers, great events to all! I hope the weather is perfect and the running is exhilarating!

So, govt continues to run and dh will likely be able to leave on time. Holy smokes. My fam is all in to come whatever night before he goes for an off-the-cuff potluck send-off. Just listed the minivan to sell on CL. And realized we can check 2 bags each (!!!) on our flight to AD next month. Still plenty of crazy to go around here.

mommajb, hoping it's a good, good move!

#127 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Jo ~ Good luck with your new shoes! :)  We'll be down your way Tuesday.. do you have any plans?  My appointment is for noon, but I am guessing if we came by it would be before the appointment this time.

Good luck racers!!! =)

Penelope ~ Happy Birthing day!

Update on the house: It's within our price range and so our the fixes at this time.  We went up there with a contractor for estimates and I walked around just like it was my place.  It just feels so "comfortable" and like I'm walking into my "home."  It's strange!  I really hope our offer tomorrow is good to go.  We have gardens to plant and chickens to get growing!!! =)

FM:  I've been doing Yoga Booty Ballet - I did the Hip Hop dvd a few days ago and my butt and back are still sore (in a good way).  I am hoping for some prenatal yoga today and a walk in the warmth today! 

Enjoy your weekends!! <3

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#128 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Wow, mommajb! That's a big move.  Sending you lots of peaceful moving vibes!

Good luck at the races today Geo, Nic, bec and Real!!!!  Looking forward to reading those race reports, as always!

I went to the Y last night after the fund raiser and swam 2650 yards.  Only 2200 more to go today to meet my goal of 7 days in a row and 15,000 yards in a week!  I will certainly be skipping tri club swim tomorrow though in favor of a nice long run.  I'm hoping for 7 miles before church.

Jo ~ last night at the Y there were a number of Muslim women swimming and I saw one wearing capri type leggings with a longer skirted swimsuit that looked nice.  Thought something like that might work for you.  Or maybe leggings, boy shorts and a rash guard top?  One other woman was wearing a full zip up suit from ankles to wrists, with a head covering included too, but I thought that might be a bit much for you.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#129 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Wow, Mommajb...that's a big deal! Sending good vibes and prayers for an easy transition...

Jo, glad you are able to move forward!

Well, my 10K was ok. I did hit a PR by over 3 minutes, coming in at (about) 58:45 (I think...that was my Garmin time but on my Garmin I also ran 6.3 miles so I am not sure). I was on track for the first 3 miles with 8:30/8:45 miles but by the 5K point the sun and humidity came on strong and my stomach started cramping up big time. Last three miles were really, really slow and difficult and by the last mile I was at 9:50 miles and trudging. I did pull off a kick in the last 2 tenths but it was half-hearted at best.

Sigh. Clearly heat and humidity does not lead to good running times for me. Which kind of sucks since I live in FL. At least I'm going north for the summer; clearly I need to plan my big races in the fall/winter/very early spring as I did this year if I want to be faster.

Anyway I am still feeling out of sorts and going to lie down. Still, a PR is a PR and that's fine. My students who ran did great, and dh also ran which was fun...he also only had a 'so-so' race because of the heat/humidity.

Catch you later Dingo mamas! blowkiss.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#130 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Good morning mamas,

It's our last day in PDX and I've really enjoyed it.  I just needed to get away and this has been perfect.  C was really nervous about coming (it's in a different state you know!) but once we started to get our bearings she has totally fallen for it and keeps suggesting that we could live here.  I finally bought new bras and we met up with my friend who is friends of friends of Poppy's which is funny and weird and small world.  We haven't done too much touristy stuff except the zoo yesterday which was packed since th sun came out finally.  But we've been eating anything and everything that looks good and as I lean on my buddha belly I know that the end is in sight at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

Hugs to the icky-ies - I hope everyone feels better soon.  Or at least is assigned their own support vehicle.  I really love that idea Kerc

They are the most amazing people in the universe to me and I want them not just to be okay, but stupendous, outstanding, fantastically amazing, kwim?

Running is blah for me right now. I'm carrying extra weight which is making it hard.  But I keep plodding along.  Other good news, a spot on my nose that I went to the dr about is most likely *not* cancer. Always a good thing.

I like the support vehicle image too.  I may pull that out again for dh someday. 
nod.gif about your kids and me too for mine too. 

And yup, my chiro has asked that I not even try to run until he's seen me a couple more times (and is only on the island on Tues and Fri) abut my hip.  I have to figure out something else to do for cardio though because even though I can tell my muscles are coming along it's hard to see under all the insulation.

And joy.gif for non-cancerous spots, I'v got one I need to have checked too, just being lazy about getting to the dr for the appropriate referral so thanks for mentioning it.

Moomajb - Wow!  That is a big move!  What area are you heading to, SD right?  I have family scattered all around the county and I'm fairly familiar with the area.  It could a be a great new scene for you all. 

Good luck Racers!  Go Bec!  Go Real!  Go Geo!  Go Nic (and run for you, you're awesome with or without that dang carrot)! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I went to the Y last night after the fund raiser and swam 2650 yards.  Only 2200 more to go today to meet my goal of 7 days in a row and 15,000 yards in a week!  I will certainly be skipping tri club swim tomorrow though in favor of a nice long run.  I'm hoping for 7 miles before church.

bow2.gif  That is fantastic swimming!  And running!

Penelope - Those cranes sound well worth the travel time. 

Poppy - We may go past Robots Love Cupcakes today, my friend here is a friend of the women who own it too.  Portland is really a small town isn''t it?

Gaye - That skiing, as always, sounds so great!  I'd be super proud to get such a good report from ski school too!

JenLove - Sending it's-your-house vibes your way!  I hope your feeling pans out, that was my experience the first time we walked into our house.

Jo - Oh my, you're getting so close!  Here, I'll feel anxious for you, you just go on about your business.  That would work right?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#131 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
bec

Before I start, Nic, Awesome run!!!  And, seriously, a 3 minute PR is HUGE in a 10k!  It's not nothing.  It's a testament to how fast you have gotten.  Enjoy your victory.

RR: It was a really nice run.  It is, of course, dark and overcast, and drippy (no actual rain, though), but mid to high forties, so I was good with just a base layer long sleeve and a tech t over it (last year's race shirt).  I was running with DH, so we averaged around a 12:09 pace (according to my Garmin).  But, it was nice, fun, and we just kept on going!  There was another woman from our tri class that ran near us, and we chatted on and off.  The best part about it was that I had absolutely no leg pain!  It's been a year.

#132 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Great job, Nic!!!  I agree that a 3 minute PR is awesome!

bec ~ glad you and your DH had a fun race together.  I can't believe you're overcast and drippy.  It's already 85 and humid down here in southwestern IL!  We had HUGE thunderstorms this morning, but the sky hazy blue now.

Poor DD1 is having a hard time with neighbor girl again.  She is just SO demanding and bossy and well, not nice.  DD finally told her this morning that she didn't want to play, but wanted to wash our van with DD2 instead.  Neighbor girl just wouldn't take no for an answer and kept saying things like, "Kay, get over here and play with me right NOW!"  Ummmmm..... sorry, that's not a good way to keep friends.  I told DD1 to hold her ground and not let NG intimidate her into playing when she doesn't want to.  DD1 actually said that she doesn't like NG much right now and wants to take a little break from playing with her.  It's hard though, because we all share a cul-de-sac and our kids and their kids are always out playing there.  Plus NG is 9 (DD is 7) and tries to intimidate DD into doing whatever she wants to do.  Luckily, DD's stubborn streak is finally paying off and she's holding her ground.  Still, much angst and some tears this morning.  Sigh....

#133 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM

I did it!

energy.gif7 miles on the books.  I embraced the fact that run/walk intervals are in my leg's best interest and played around a bit till I found the sweet spot of pretty much pain free while able to push myself.  That means they are short but it made the distance completely doable.  I tried out the local trail that I thought was pretty flat (at least it is from the trailhead closest to me)  but went to a different starting point.  From there, seems it's a gradual, barely there uphill for what I'm guessing would be about 5 miles.  It made the second half seem so easy!  I never thought I would have anything in me when I finished, but I could completely get my head around going farther.  I know this seems so wimpy compared to all the racing today, but it was a big hurdle for me (more mentally than physically, it turns out).

Now let's see how I feel tomorrow.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#134 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
bec

Hurray, Megan!!!  That is a huge milestone! 

JG - 9 is when they start getting super bossy and not nice.  I know when Katie gets that way, she has a TOTALLY different perception of how things are going down.  I don't think she's even aware of how she sounds to others.  Thankfully, she is usually pretty nice (at least to other kids!), but it is a work in progress.  Kudos to Kay for standing her, ground, though!  That's tough!

The sun has started to peak out, and the temperature is pretty pleasant.  In a surprise move, my brother is coming out with his bike, and we are going to go on a bike ride together!  It's turning into a pretty great day!

#135 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Nic - yes, a 3 minute PR is FanFREAKINtastic!  Be proud and recognize that you did amazing and that you are learning.  What I hear in your descriptions is a tendency to maybe go out a bit fast.  Try on your next 10k to do negative splits.  So try having the first mile at a 9 and then gradually decreasing and speeding up.  Make sure you breathe deeply periodically and if need be, put your hands on your head expanding your rib cage to truly fill your lungs with air.  

Kerc - I liked your song lyrics and I think it is an amazing group of people we have here.  I struggle to find people in my daily world that can be so non-judgmental and accepting.  It's lonely sometimes.

Hugs Jaygee and hugs to your sweetie.  Good for her for learning a very very hard lesson of stubbornly sticking up for oneself. If she can learn this at 7 she will be so far ahead of the game...so many adults struggle with this exact issue.  Conflict is so scary for them and yet really?  What is it...I don't agree with you.  Nothing more.

Plady - get your a@@ into the doctor.  Do not put it off.  He did tell me most cancerous spots are raised and the truly scary ones are funny colors (green, purple, yellow, etc.) and do not have distinctive edges.  Go. Now. Please.

So dd did this amazing thing...basically instigated this clean up project along our bike path and nature preserve...and it was stormed out. Waaahhh.  It's tentatively rescheduled for next saturday.  I'm so proud of her though and told her last night to never underestimate what any one person can do, because with a simple statement ("wow, that's a mess, we should clean it up) she got up to 20 people willing to help and clean up trash.  I want her to see the power she has as an individual to make real changes in our world.

I ran 8 this morning.  Still very physically fatigued. I'm not sure what it's about.  I don't feel so fatigued otherwise.

#136 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM

Nick--congrats! clap.gif That's so awesome on your PR!

bec--congrats on your race too.

BBM--yay on your 8, and hopefully you get the fatigue thing figured out.

memiles--yay for 7!

Saw tjsmama this afternoon! joy.gif I wish I could have stayed longer, but package pickup was insanely busy and my family was waiting for me to return home so we could go to the kite festival. Also, DH is in a(nother) bad mood so I didn't want to annoy him too much by hanging around and chatting or looking at stuff. (I did try on a pair of compression tights that were 50% off but either an XS is too small or else I have too many sensory issues to wear compression tights. Oh well.) Anyhow, I got stuck in traffic on the way home due to an accident and so I called him to tell him he could take the girls over and I'd meet them there. I then headed to the house to grab a snack and some water, but when I pulled in he hadn't left yet and his first words to me were a very hostile "why are you here?" Le sigh. Guess I should have gone to the kite festival anyhow, and just walked around without a kite or kids (or water or food or a bathroom). Um, right. eyesroll.gif It will be nice if he ever gets out of his funk. Most likely he's going to be all over me for "changing the plan" tonight, because he gets really hung up on that, and the reality that I needed water/bathroom/a snack and would have been out the door in five minutes and met up with them according to the plan will be totally lost on him. /vent They're at the kite festival now and as it turns out, I'm still home with J who is nursing/sleeping. We'll catch up with them after she wakes up.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#137 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
bec

I just had a nice 35 minute ride with my brother.  He used to be quite the athlete, but has been completely inactive for over 5 years now (actually, more like 10 years, but really sitting on his butt for the last 5), and is trying to get back in shape.  So, what was a pretty relaxing ride for me was a very intense workout for him.  It is an amazing role reversal that we've had, as I have always been the very out of shape one.  It's kind of strange to wrap my mind around that.

#138 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

memiles ~ congrats on the 7!!!

BBM ~ yay for the 8! 

Dingoes sure are racking up the mileage these days orngbiggrin.gif!

Real ~ sorry your husband is being difficult.  Best of luck in your 1/2 tomorrow!!!!

bec ~ sounds like a nice ride with your brother.

I did it!  Seven swims in seven days, with a total of 15,000 yard swum!  I actually think I made some gains in the pool this week too.  The  4x400 free I swam today seemed surprisingly easy.  I just wish I could get over my hatred of the flip turn.  I can do them, I just would rather not.

#139 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks mamas. BBM, yes I think I do go out too fast. Actually dh and I were analyzing it together tonight (we went out to dinner to celebrate our 15th anniversary which isn't for a month but my parents are in town so...free babysitting; dinner was AWESOME and so was the connection/conversation).

I think a) I go out too fast; b) I haven't really accounted for my weight/nutrition needs changes in my pre-race routine. I think I am eating too much -- in the last half I did not need nearly as much fuel as I used to and I think I really need to modify what I"m eating beforehand also; c) weather -- not much to do about this; d) trying to drink on the run through water stops -- took in a lot of air gulps and it didn't sit well.

Things to work on. Anyway I actually think that at this point, one or two sessions with a running coach might be helpful. I need to clarify exactly what I need to do and how to do it to get where I want to be -- that is, maintenance with an eye toward core strengthening for a few months until training starts for the next big races after the summer (which I'm not sure what they'll be yet, but it is clear to one and all I race way better in cooler weather). Then -- speed, pacing -- in other words, acting like a racing runner, rather than one who until now has mostly just raced to finish and have a good day. I need to learn to race, believe it or not.

So....tomorrow, light day. It's going to be a hot one here and dh has the morning for his bike/swim because he has three tris coming up in the next few months. His racing season is just beginning. I suppose that's good to have us staggered -- but working out the long run schedule is a hassle. Ah, well.

#140 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Congrats to all the dingos who raced/ran long/survived today! orngbiggrin.gif

Good luck to real tomorrow!!! Wish I could have chatted more, but it was absolute chaos at packet pick-up when you were there. I was the *only* one stuffing packets, and there weren't any pre-stuffed, so the people handing out packets were having to stuff them themselves=line out the door and around the building. Funny how as soon as I got some help stuffing packets, the line diminished rapidly! Many lessons learned from packet pick-up today, I think. They expanded the field to nearly double what it was last year, and there have definitely been a few growing pains! Hopefully there aren't any tomorrow at the race...

I bagged my run this morning because I kind of feel like crap. Given that I have clinical all day tomorrow and need to at least look healthy enough to be there, I decided to skip the run and get a couple more hours of sleep. I think it was a good call, since I felt at least a little better when I woke up. I don't feel completely awful...just tired and head congestion. Regardless, not what I need right now.

I desperately need to finish my prep work for tomorrow so I can get to bed at a reasonable time, yet here I sit on the internet. rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#141 of 369 Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 PM

BBM--I'm glad the heart vase is working out so well.  The kids at my kids' school are very motivated by it as well, and DD often comes home talking about the great things that kids did that day that caused more hearts to go into their class jar.

Nic--Nice 10K!  I'm sorry the heat is giving you problems.  I feel like I'm just the opposite; I love being warm, running in the heat, baking during my runs.  You and I need to trade locations.

JayGee--Sorry about neighbor girl, but good for your DD for sticking to her guns!  I hate it when my kids get into confrontational situations with other kids, but then I love to see their strength come shining through.

JenLove--Hooray for a house that speaks to you!  I hope everything goes smoothly.

mommajb--I hope that your move also goes smoothly.  California sounds like a dream to me; I'll be living vicariously through you.

Jo--Ah, the yardwork.  It's begun again.  Today was a gorgeous day--bright and sunny and in the sixties, which seems so warm after the long winter.  The kids and I had an egg hunt in town this morning, so I was up early for a Saturday.  When we got home at 10, I started raking.  With a couple of breaks to eat and to chat with my sister-in-law when she showed up with computer woes, I raked straight until 5 this evening.  I'm very sore.  But I've made a dent in the leaves that I never managed to get rid of in the fall when the snow came too early.  I like a project that I can see getting better the more effort I put into it. 

So, no running today but I'm going to count the raking toward upper arm strength, at least, which is one of my targets for now.  I'm trying to talk myself out of jogging to a horrific hill and doing hill repeats tomorrow.  It seems like something I should be doing, and I have the perfect hill in mind about a mile away, but I know I'll just hate everything the whole time I'm doing it.  I guess we'll see how I'm feeling when I wake up tomorrow.  And whether the yardwork calls to me again.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

#142 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Good Morning!  I'm heading out shortly for my run, but finally found those glute exercises I promised ~ http://www.intelligent-triathlon-training.com/glute-exercises.html

Lalalala ~ goodness woman, how many trees do you have?????  Glad you got so much raking done.

Nic ~ when training to race, I've had good luck working on increasing speed over the course of a workout.  For instance, I'll start really easy, and every 1/4 or 1/2 mile, increase speed a little bit.  Do you have a Garmin?  It's really helpful for this.  So happy you enjoyed your dinner out with DH too.  It's nice to connect like that every once in a while.

Time to go lace up and RUN!

#143 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 AM

La, I'm impressed with your yardwork! I'm needing to get out and rake and weed, but also needing to grade papers...

Jen, what a great feeling about your house! A high school friend of mine recently moved into a house she's been loving on for a couple of years, and I'm so excited to see her and her family settled and gardening, etc. Hope it all works out smoothly for you! smile.gif

RR: I got 10m in yesterday, and it was good to be out and getting some miles in since I have a half in three weeks, but I was slow and not very inspired. It was windy and warm, so maybe I just need to adjust a bit to the weather, but I'm expecting the race to not involve any kind of fancy time. My last half involved IT band pain that was so awful that I'm mostly just wanting to be strong and healthy, and I think I can accomplish that.

Ds's birthday party yesterday was fun - a bunch of 7 year olds running around at the botanical garden. He enjoyed it, they all wore themselves out, cupcakes were had, and although the educational piece wasn't fabulous, the party generally was quite fun.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#144 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Penelope ~ for us the botanical garden is more about running around that learning anything too winky.gif.

RR ~ 7.12 miles in 1:04:43.  Not bad, if I don't say so myself orngbiggrin.gif!

#145 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm not sure I've updated since my reflexology appointment...  Long story short, I feel great.  I've had NO pain in my knee (including tightness/soreness from sitting too long) since I was adjusted.  Immediately, I had greater range of movement in my knee. 

I am sure I can run now, but I am honestly kind of scared to.  redface.gif  If I mess something up, I can't afford to go back until next month!   But I will make time this week and just take it easy.  I've worked a couple of shifts and biked a lot, and there is still no pain/stiffness.  Usually after work I have trouble bending my knee all the way, and I wake several times at night with my leg tendons/muscles? being stiff and sore.  No more.  I can hardly believe this.  

I will be going back next month if I can afford it, to keep on top of things.  I have lost a bit of weight, and I am feeling very satisfied with my "plan" of healthful eating and exercise.  If I can keep from getting injured, I am sure going to do it. 

Personals in a minute!  :)

#146 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Nic- Good job on the PR!   

Jen- I'll be crossing my fingers! 

Mommajb- Good luck on the move!  I hope it all goes smoothly!

JG- nice 7 miles.  I can't wait to build up my mileage again.  I'm so tired of struggling.

I'm going to finish my coffee and tidy up before work.  I've got a longer shift today, and I am hopeful that my knee will be fine.  It's raining and really windy, so I think I will drive.  It's been so nice to cycle to work! 

#147 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Back from my 10 miler -- followed by soccer, digging the garden and getting compost out, and now I'm sitting on my tush for a bit before dinner then soccer parts 2 and 3.

Whew.

Vents out of the way first:

*Is there a problem with giving out fruit at the finish line?  The last several races have bagels, sandwiches, chips (!), and other garbage.  No apples or bananas.  Blech. 

*The race went past 2 big churches at 9 am on a Sunday, 6 and 7 miles into the race.  They left it two lane traffic with cones along side the road for the runners to run along the berm!!  It was 1 long hill there, so the single file plan simply didn't work, and most of us ignored it and ran in traffic anyways.  Super dangerous, and I nearly plowed over three people who just stopped to walk right in front of me.

OK, vents and whines aside:

I drove out with my RP, we found her friends, and found the potty.  The race started on time in the fog (felt like home!), and the first three miles were mostly downhill -- a few short and steep up and downs thrown in, leading through parks along the river.  Gorgeous.  Then through downtown and another neighborhood to the end.  The first 7 miles felt easy, with me pulling my RP along.  Yup, even those hills including the 140 ft elevation gain with no down for mile 6.  At mile 5 I started squeezing the sweat out of my hair.  It was getting sunny and bright - quite shaded until we left downtown so it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Then water at mile 8 just sat badly, it got hot and bright, and my lungs gave the heave ho.  The last final hill was torture, with RP finding her strength, then pulling me along - with a mile 9 up a hill yelling at me "Get your butt up here!" To which I yelled "Yes, Drill Sargent!" to the great amusement of the people we were passing.  The last mile was hard, the last 1/4 mile I told my RP to go ahead, and I nearly caught her at the end.  Total moving time:  1:34:42 (I took out RP's bathroom break...), for 9:24 miles for the 10.06 miles.  We ran mostly negative splits, with the mile 9 that sucked so hard at 9:11 pace.  If I can keep running through the summer, a little speed work, and no hills for the fall half, I can do the 2:00 half marathon.

Afterwards, we kept running into a bunch of people we knew, stood around chatting, then drove home with the windows open.  Peeyew, we stank.

#148 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Still feeling like trash here. I'm told I have 2-3 more 50% days and then I should jump quickly to 80%. Let us all hope that it is one or two more days. I feel fine when I have a beer or two, perhaps that's the secret? I had a work obligation friday night and went out for beer with 5 of my colleagues afterwards and was out until 1am. That is WAY too late for me to be out. I think it set me back a good 2 days on the recovery.

Geo: I'm with you on the chips at the finish line. WTF is that? Nice run, btw.

Nemesis: I forget your exact city -- wondering if you're bracing for flooding? Admitting to myself that your state is one big state and I'm a bit of a moron for not knowing your exact location.

Jenlove: let us know how the house stuff is going.

Mommajb: that's a big move. whoa.

I have no idea what is going on with the rest of you, sorry.

Goals for this week:

• run 3 times. No mileage goal, too much stuff going on.
  • clear off the heap of fabric that is all over the guest room floor.
  • stay current on work.

Those are some lofty goals, LOL.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#149 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Jumping in just for an update because Val is getting her 2 year molars and we are all sleeping horribly and I'm exhausted.  I haven't worked out in a couple days. :(  The offer for the house went in today at noon.  He has until Tuesday to respond.  For now it just seems like a waiting game.... Good vibes still needed!  I'm hopeful! smile.gif

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#150 of 369 Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Fingers crossed that you get the house, JenLove!

kerc, I like your listing of goals idea.  In fact, this morning during my run I was thinking about how well my 7 swims/7 days challenge worked and I'd like to keep challenging myself to do something every day for a week.  This week, my challenge is to do my PT exercises and glute strengthening routine every day for 7 days.

My girls are washing the garage floor and it's like a skating rink out there.  They are in swimsuits and doing full body slides across the entire floor.  Good times at the Golden house!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page