Is this doable or I am I crazy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking of doing a mini triatholon in the beginning of August-1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run.

I'm not in horrible shape but I certainly haven't been a regular gym goer since DS was born 18 months ago.  I feel a strong urge to do this (I've never done anything like this before) and DH is on board.  For all you experienced racers, do you think I can be ready in time?  I think I'll be able to manage 3-4 workouts a week, maybe more some weeks.  Any training tips?  Or if you think this crazy, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
bec

You absolutely can be ready for an August sprint tri (that's what the distance you are wanting to complete is called)!

My suggestion would be to start with the Couch to 5k program.  On your off days, I would get into the pool one day a week, and either get on your bike or a spin bike once a week. 

The swim is usually the biggest obstacle for most people starting triathlons.  My suggestion would be to see how many laps you can swim at once to give yourself a baseline, and then work on your endurance.  Most pools in the US are 25 yards long.  Most sprint tri swim lengths are around 750 yards (or 13-14 laps). 

After you have finished the C25k program, you will want to start doing some brick workouts (combining more than one sport at a time).  Start slow, like riding your bike for 30 minutes and then running for 10-15 minutes.  This will get your body accustomed to switching sports!

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

The swim is usually the biggest obstacle for most people starting triathlons.  My suggestion would be to see how many laps you can swim at once to give yourself a baseline, and then work on your endurance.  Most pools in the US are 25 yards long.  Most sprint tri swim lengths are around 750 yards (or 13-14 laps). 

agreed, and if you haven't swam seriously in the past, working with a coach on your stroke and turns could make the whole thing MUCH easier for you. I watched one of my kids, who used to swim competitively, in a tri last year and everyone else in the pool at the same time as her was wasting energy with poor technique. 

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for both the training tips and the support.  I'm nervous about the this but I think the challenge will be good for me.

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

User Tag List