Thinking about doing Medifast. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm toying with the idea of doing Medifast.  Any reviews?

I'm normally opposed to things like that, but the "just eat better and move more" plan never really works out for me.  I always seem to need some sort of strict plan...and then I do keep it off. (I'm trying to get the baby weight off before it's time to get pregnant again)  I did weight watchers...did really well, dropped 25 pounds in 10 weeks, but then all of a sudden I just couldn't bring myself to constantly keep track of everything.  I just couldn't.  So, I thought the strictness and simplicity of medifast might be good.  A friend just did really well on it. I'm just normally the "organic whole foods" type of person so it seems a little odd, but it's only short term.  

#2 of 5 Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I worked as a nutritionist in a weight loss spa, I sold a lot of Medifast programs.  Like you already know, it's not the healthiest way to eat.  But if it means losing some weight, then I think the pay off can be worth it.

The only problem is after you finish the program.  You can gain that weight right back if none of your lifestyle habits change.  So maybe try and use the time that you're on it to find something that may work for you long term.  A diet program, eating type, exercise you like, etc.  Many people are different and what works for some wont work for others. 

Good luck. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Are you planning on staying on medifast for the rest of your life? That's the only way it will work long term. You've already learned that 'diets' stop working when you stop adhering to them.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, I'm not planning on doing it forever.  The thing is, I suck at losing weight, so I thought some sort of "rigid pre-planned out/quick/not too many decisions to make" program might work for me.   I'm fine at maintaining, which is easier than losing.  It's weight from my last pregnancy that I'm trying to lose.  I've kept off the weight I lost with weight watchers.

#5 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 PM

I did it. It worked but you must follow the maintenance plan or you will gain the weight back.

My concern is that the majority of meals are soy based. There are a few whey based but, most are soy and soy is just so very bad.

If you do it, be sure to join the Medifast message board. You'll gets tons of recipes for your lean and green meal and lots of tips to make the meals palatable. For example, I hated the oatmeal but, when I mixed it with a bit of water and egg and baked like a muffin,it quickly became a favorite meal. Another tip is to double the water on some of the soups and simmer slowly on the stove with lots of extra spices. Also, the pudding is yucky as pudding but, it makes a fabulous, rich shake when blended with ice and water. Most everyone hates the cream soups but the others are good when doctored up.

Also, be sure to checkout craigslist and eBay for meals. You can get them so much cheaper that way.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page