Attention Momma Yogis! (And Others!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  Is there anyone out there that could suggest a short (20ish minutes) series of yoga poses (or great stretches) that can help me (a slightly out of shape, but in pretty good health, breastfeeding momma to 5 month old son)?  

We bed share, and while I love it, I'm starting to get a little creaky from sleeping on just one side.  I'm also sore from hauling (lovingly) my fast-growing son - more than 18 lbs already!  Furthermore, while I knew I couldn't eat *everything* upon DS' arrival, I took a bit more license with my calorie consumption as a breastfeeding mom and I'm gaining weight.  So.  I'd like to start with baby steps.  (1) A short routine I can do while my babe naps, (2) focus on my will power in making smart food choices (I CAN'T eat oreos as much as I want...?)  :)

Can anyone help?  Simple yoga poses?  (I'm a continuing beginner...I enjoy simple sun salutations, down dog, child's pose, you know, the easy ones.  I thought I'd knock the plank pose out of the park with carrying my son to and fro, but nope, my arms were quite shaky after two breaths...  eyesroll.gif )  

Thanks!  I hope this post finds everyone happy and well!

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

While no one has replied I saw there have been quite a few views.  I hope this link is helpful:

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/1660

It includes poses for mom (and a reminder to do your Kegels!) and helpful tips for combating problems baby may be experiencing.

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#3 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM

I have Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners and I really like it. Being completely new to yoga I found the pose instructional to be very helpful. There's 2, 20 minute workouts that are easy to follow and learn. I try to do at least one of the work out 5 days a week. I feel so much better if I start my day with a little yoga!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM

I'll second Rodney Yee's Yoga for beginners.  It's my go to on days I need a shorter workout or if i want to split it up.  I too am a beginner still and have found the instruction to be great.

Yoga loving, SAHM, Homeschooling, Co-Sleeping, AP Mother to DS (8), DS (5) & DD (13 months)
#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM

I used to have a Rodney Yee & Patricia Walden Video set that was pretty good. Netflix does have a few but I haven't been able to get into them. I like the community of going to class if I can get there.  The Ashtanga primary series is very challenging and in my experience, helpful to weight loss and really getting into shape. You can find the poses on line but I'd recommend learning them in a class if you can.  The whole thing takes an hour and half but I believe it's meant to be done over several days not the whole series all the time. 

#6 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

I would just do sun salutations, then whatever your favorites are, and a few minutes of meditation, and you have a well balanced routine. :)

#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions!  

#8 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would do sun salutions to start out with. And check out yoga journal, it's an awesome site! Somewhere I have a book called YogaBaby about incorporating your baby into a yoga routine. I used it with my daughter three years ago but haven't picked it up with my baby but that's just because he's just kind of there when I do yoga, I think he's even saying om sometimes instead of oh or ahh.

Just remember to breathe and eventually you're little one will join you in your practice.

be good family...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page