Running Around the Maypole ~ the May Dingo Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have a great Tri Mel!  surf.gifbikenew.gifjog.gif

Jo - And now you get to have a wedding!  How exciting!  Sorry to hear the travel took such a toll on dd, I guess considering how relatively quickly you made such huge changes it shouldn't be a surprise.  The surprise is that all four of you haven't just fallen into a coma together on a hotel bed.  Here's hoping you all adjust more comfortably from here on out.

Gaye - Congrats!  Hungover running sounds sooo unappealing however.

La4 - I'm going to try that 20 minute job approach.  That does make it all seem more manageable.

MelW - You're near Seattle too right?  Which end of the sound?  It's certainly a stretch but I'm just wondering if it's totally futile for us to compare chiros.

Have a good day everyone!  I'm going to attempt early am productivity for a change.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Nic ~ your move to Amherst sounds like a real win for the family.  Stock up on long underwear and parkas again for the winter and you'll be fine (although I'd look for a house a little closer to synagogue for those fridgid days...).  Plus, you've done years and years of NY winters winky.gif.

MelW ~ is there any chance it could be a disc issue?  I only ask because your symptoms are so similar to mine, and that seems to be what has been causing all of my misery for the last 2 years.  Hope you can figue it out hug2.gif.

Jo ~ I'm loving all the reports and FB pictures from Dubai!  DS was thrilled to see the pictures of the Burj, since he's a real architecture buff.  Keep it coming!

Gaye ~ running hungover = bad idea.  I've tried.  It's not fun.  Make sure you hydrate like crazy.  And have a great Du!!!

Mel38 ~ happy triathlon day!!!  Enjoy your race and I can't wait to hear about it.

Lalala ~ I'm always absolutely mortified when my children point and talk about people with visible disabilities/differences as well.  And am unsure exactly how to handle it...  Good for you for getting that run in too!

Plady ~ I hope your cat is okay hug2.gif.

RR ~ kettlebells and a short run yesterday morning, and 2 miles of scootering last night.  Note to self:  Do not EVER attempt to scooter 2 miles again.  OUCH!

NRR ~ yesterday was DD2's 5th birthday, so we got a pizza for dinner and went to a huge park in our town that has a playground, ducks (and ducklings!) and a 2 mile paved trail (hence the scootering).  It was exactly what she wanted to do and her day was perfect!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#273 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Happy Triathlons Mel38 and Gaye!!! broc1.gifjoy.gif

MelW - I agree with jaygee. It sure sounds like it could be coming from your back, especially since its going down both legs now. Can you bike, or do other things without pain?

La4 and Jaygee - I have started being as direct as I can with the disabled person and my kids. I dont think its rude necessarily for our kids to point and talk - they are just curious. When this happens (on the street or in a restaurant or whatever) I approach the person and say my kids are curious and would it be ok if they asked some questions. Maybe this is rude bag.gif but I imagine that people with disabilities get that all the time anyway (people pointing and talking) and rather than feel like a specimen at the zoo, I treat them like anyone else, and I am generally direct. I think I heard a disabled person say they prefer this once, maybe that's where I got the idea. I mean, if someone has a huge birthmark on their face, they know its there, so why not just acknowledge it. We're not saying "gross" we're saying "interesting"

Jaygee - lol.gif on the scootering. Dh is always pulling something when he uses HIS skateboard and it cracks me up

Rebecca - joy.gif for the REI sale lol.gif We got some new bars for our bike rack too. Actually, we had a bike rack I hated (rear mounted underneath, heavy) that dh switched with a friend this week for a top mounted one, so we got bars for that) and we both got climbing shoes broc1.gif. Dh and I want to start going to the gym when the kids are in school

RR: I should go ride the bike at the gym but, sigh, I'm not in enough of a routine that a little exhaustion doesnt make it easy to stay home and read the paper instead bag.gif I did, however, become friends with a woman who is the mom of one of dd1's climbing teammates who used to be some nationally competitive mtn. biker. Now she mostly runs. Her dh is getting back into climbing. Long story short, we and they want to start connecting for sports. Have I finally met someone to possibly work out with once I get a base of fitness (lol.gif how's that for certitude)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#274 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Jo - It's been so fun watching your FB feed and updates here.  I hope you all are getting some R&R now and dd feels better.  Poor girl.  ((hugs))

I'm loving the mantra.  It may go up on my kitchen wall with my other inspirational things. :)  I'm definitely feeling that on a shirt this year.

Nic - Wow, woman!  That's a list.  Remember one "to do" at a time.  You'll get there.

Mel and Gaye - Good luck racing!

NRR: We put an offer in on the house, so the waiting game starts again.  I'm much more relaxed this time ... don't get me wrong I love the place but I'm more in the "if it happens, it happens" mode.  That's where I've needed to be for oh... months on the house hunting issue.  Live and learn.  On the note of moving though, we helped a friend move yesterday and it was interesting. I move so much slower (with more waddling) and if we don't move soon I will be an interesting sight to see when I'm "helping."

I start nannying this week at my house, so today is the day to prepare the house for 2 more girls.  They are older than Val and homeschooled so I get to *teach* too.  I am pretty excited about it all.  It's only a short-term thing but I think we all need it around here. :)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#275 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM
bec

edited out.  Very weird.  I made a post on a different board (open in a different tab) and it posted here.  Whoops!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#276 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

I mean, if someone has a huge birthmark on their face, they know its there, so why not just acknowledge it. We're not saying "gross" we're saying "interesting"

True, and, actually, this is us.  DD (the one doing all of the pointing and loud talking yesterday) has a huge birthmark on her face.  She's had five major surgeries already for it, and will have her sixth this summer.  Yesterday I actually whispered to her "Hey, aren't people always staring at your face?  Please try not to stare at others."  Didn't work.  eyesroll.gif

Anyway, it is better in our experience if people just ask about it instead of whispering, but it also gets to be extremely tiresome to be the ambassadors for weird face things every single day.  I can't remember the last time we went to a store or the park or the beach or wherever when someone didn't approach us and ask about DD's face.  At this point it's reduced in size enough that it looks like a black eye, so we get a lot of gasping, a lot of "oh, no!  What HAPPENED to her EYE?" type of stuff.  These days I generally just roll my eyes and say in a really flat voice "H, they want to know what happened to your eye."  At which point all of our coaching pays off when DD looks up and says "It's just a birthmark."  This news is followed by the person apologizing, backpedaling, and bending over backward to tell us how BEAUTIFUL DD is.  Ack.  I should be nicer about the whole thing, but it's frustrating when we have to talk about it every time we leave the house.  And sometimes we're just not in the mood to talk about it, but people feel they have the right to ask, since it's right there on her face and all.  People who whisper, though, get the look of death from me.  angry.gif

So, that's why I'd prefer my kids wait until later when we're alone to ask all of their questions.  The entire drive to church this morning DD talked about life without arms and legs, and I answered all of her questions and listened to all of her thoughts, which were many and various.  She thought having an elevator in your house would be super-cool.

No running for me today.  I tried to do the motivated thing and went to the store with DD after church to buy some vegetable plants.  We bought a bunch of stuff, plus some netting to hopefully keep the wildlife off, but now that I'm home and looking at the gloomy outdoors I've lost my motivation again.  Why am I so tired?  Maybe if I at a cookie I'd want to do some gardening?  Actually, getting off the computer would be a good first step toward getting plants into the ground.  And coffee would probably be better than a cookie.  DH gave me a coffee grinder and a French press for Mother's Day, and they are marvelous!  I have been drinking much more coffee over the past few weeks.  Yum, yum! 

#277 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Thanks La4. Yeah Ive thought about how annoying it would be to get attention one way or the other all the time. I just want to avoid my kids thinking of people with differences as weird or other, and I think a short conversation reminds them that its just another person. But then I guess Im using that person as an educational experience. Bleh. Not sure what is best

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#278 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Marking my spot.....
#279 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Mel--we got her these Merrill shoes.

NRR: no long run for me today. greensad.gif I woke up feeling worse than ever, barely able to talk and decided to pay a visit to the urgent care clinic down the street instead of going to church. The clinic confirmed my suspicions: ear infection and probable strep throat (the rapid test came back negative, but they're sending a second sample on for the longer test and she said she was just going to treat it because it looked like strep to her and because the abx for the ear infection should knock it out anyhow). So, I'm drinking my fluids and just took a 2-1/2 hour nap in place of a 12-mile run.

Questions for the collective Dingo wisdom:
1. Since J has been sleeping with me, has a cough and a little bit of nasal congestion, should I just take her to the dr in the morning to get checked out? R is on abx at the moment for an ear infection of her own so I'm not worried. Or will the breastmilk keep her in good shape? She's not running a fever currently.

2. Since the Bolder Boulder isn't until Monday, should I try a modified version of my long run tomorrow (say, 6-7 miles) or should I just scrap it completely and call it a taper?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#280 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

MelW - You're near Seattle too right?  Which end of the sound?  It's certainly a stretch but I'm just wondering if it's totally futile for us to compare chiros.

winky.gif.

MelW ~ is there any chance it could be a disc issue?  I only ask because your symptoms are so similar to mine, and that seems to be what has been causing all of my misery for the last 2 years.  Hope you can figue it out hug2.gif.

Vancouver Island. I'm 3 hours north of Victoria, so limited in my options for chiro, sports medicine, physio, etc.

I think I need to investigate the possibility of disc issues more. It's a funny injury, because I have very minimal pain day to day, can bike, swim, weight train, bootcamp (minus the running part) without issues, and even when running feel like I could "run through" a relatively minor ache, but then it starts to travel, and it's after the run ends that I can feel the pain. It kind of fits with a disc issue, but my mind doesn't always feel ready to go there yet.

Did something strange with the multi-quote there...I'm too lazy to fix it right now.

Real, I would have a peek in her throat to see if there's any redness, and if not call
the breastmilk good smile.gif

I would also just call it a taper- maybe a short run if you're feeling up for it tomorrow.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#281 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Real - I would get her checked. My kids had strep (all three) this spring and none had a fever or even sore throat. we only got them tested b/c i was so sick and one of the things i had was strep shrug.gif

NRR: ok, i just went to the most unpleasant birthday parties in the history of my parenting (8+ years). the activities were a flop, the older brother (6.5) was a total jerk to my 6.5 year old ds, who is usually the challenge but compared to this kid was a sweetheart. And in response to hitting my ds and otherwise being a jerk, the mom would say things like "I need to give my boy a hug" and hug him!! The wind blew cups of juice and presents all over, the pinata hitting was painful and there were no bags for candy. It just got silly. seriously everything kind of went wrong, and to finish it all off, their ds wiped a bugger in my ds' hair! Glad to be home

#282 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM

jennie~goodvibes.gif for the house!

lisa~If J isn't acting sick other than the congestion, I would probably wait. Most infections WILL clear on their own, so unless she seems like she doesn't feel right, I'd wait and save the antibiotics. And I would see how you feel tomorrow for the run. If you're feeling significant better, go out and see how you feel once you get running. Otherwise, just call it taper. You'll be fine (and still kick my butt). orngtongue.gif

Race report~
I headed out early this morning to go meet a friend from the beginner triathlete message boards to carpool up to the race (since my previous carpool fell through when my friend decided not to race once they cancelled the swim rolleyes.gif). I didn't know the guy very well, but he was a most excellent carpool buddy! We had good conversation the whole drive!

I picked up my packet (which was a surprisingly long line considering you had to pay extra for race-day packet pick-up) and headed to transition to get set up. I still didn't really know what shoes to wear, but decided to go for my lightweight racing shoes (not an entirely bad decision, they were ok). Transition closed fifteen minutes before the first wave, and I was in the last wave (of 5, going off 5 minutes apart), so there was some waiting around. I did take a quick jog, just to pretend like I was warming up. redface.gif I made some new friends in transition, just because I find it practically impossible to stand in a crowd of people and not find someone to talk to. orngtongue.gif Eventually, there was just one wave left, and off we went. For some reason, our wave consisted of 24 and under women, 19 and under men, 35-39 women (me), and 50 and over men. Random much?

The first run wasn't too bad. I just kept trying to tell myself that it was ONLY two miles and that I could suck it up and try to go fast for that long. The dirt road was crazy rutted because of the rain, but it evened out a little after the first quarter mile. The turnaround came pretty quick, and we were on our way back. My official time for the first run was 19:18, for a 9:39 pace, but it was a little long. My Garmin said 9:14 pace. The sad thing was that as I was coming into T1, the leaders from the first wave were already coming in off the bike and heading out for the second run. Just stupid fast.

The bike for this race is really flat and fast, but my legs were tired. I could really feel my recent lack of training, and especially the fact that I haven't been on my bike that much. It's a three loop course, and while I got passed a little on the first two loops, I was definitely also doing my share of passing. And then on the third loop, I hit a bump and my Garmin popped off (which is really weird, because it was on my wrist, not on the bike mount). It took me a few seconds to realize what had happened, and then I had to slam on my brakes (from about 20 mph) and turn around to go back to get it. I figure I lost at least a minute thanks to that. And I got passed by a group of about 8, too. greensad.gif Bike time 41:37 for a 17.9 mph average.

T2 was uneventful except for the giant rock that I stepped on as I was running back to my spot (in my socks). Ouch. My foot is bruised.

The second run just plain hurt. My legs were DEAD. So much for feeling cocky about the bricks I've been doing. orngtongue.gif I was really hoping to get under 30 minutes for the 5k, but it wasn't in the cards today. I ran 31:18 for a 10:06 average. Honestly, not that bad, considering I had to walk through the aid station on the way back in and stop for a second to stretch my quad out.

Total time was 1:34:23. I was hoping for under 1:30, but not in the cards today, and I'm ok with that. Considering I was most definitely not well-hydrated, well-rested, or properly fueled, not a bad day! bag.gif I gotta say, my transitions were pretty darn good (1:02 and 1:11), which is something, at least!

Oh, and remember my mystery sore glute/leg from yesterday? I figured it out. The bar we were at on Friday has a bowling alley, and we bowled. One game. ONE freaking game worth of "squats" while I was bowling. I mean, seriously? SERIOUSLY? Who knew that BOWLING was something to be avoided pre-race? lol.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#283 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

sparkle ~ that party sounds awful.  Seriously... ugh.

Lisa ~ my pediatrician always said that babies under 3 don't get strep.  I don't know if that's true or not, but none of mine ever did, even when I was having repeated strep infections a few years ago.  I think I'd wait a little.  Hope you're feeling better, and I'd call it an early taper rather than run longish tomorrow.

Gaye ~ great race!  Glad you had fun and made the best of your duathlon experience!  I wish I was more like you when it comes to chatting with random strangers.

RR ~ bike ride through the neighborhood with the family.  DD2 can really work those hills!  Tonight we gave her new gymnastics mat trial run.  Remind me again that cartwheels and backbends are a bad idea when you're 43 and have a lumbar disc issue....

#284 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
bec

Sparkle - Wow, that does sound like a turkey of a birthday party!

NRR - Another dance recital come and gone!  The kids all did really well.  I'm so proud of them!  And they all had a really good time.  Then we came home and it started thunderstorming, so, instead of having my cookie, relaxing, and enjoying the rest of my "rest" day, I bailed water out of my sunken patio for an hour.  Cardio and strength!  Maybe tomorrow will be a rest day!  The good news with that is that we did fight back the flood waters and did not flood with the first torrent.  Hopefully, we will make it through the rest of the night keeping the house dry!

#285 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
bec

Awesome race, Gaye!!!!!  I would have panicked if my Garmin fell off during a race, too!  I'm glad you got it back!

#286 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 PM

tjsmama--great race report and yeah, you did fabulous considering everything else you've had going on! That's interesting about the Garmin. I've wondered whether it could pop off the quick-release bracket (though I always thought that about the bike, not the wrist strap) and there's the answer. I've got mine worked so that my RoadID is on it and then I put it into the bike quick-release bracket and strap the velcro around the handlebar as an extra precaution. I thought I was paranoid, but obviously not.

bec--glad the dance recitals went so well.

Thanks for the baby advice. She continues to be fever-free, so I'm hoping that between the magic of mama milk (and the fact that amoxicillin is apparently excreted through breastmilk) that she'll stay nice and healthy.

I'm already feeling a tad bit better and am very hopeful to feel awesome tomorrow. Or at least alive enough to get through everything this week. Happily, it's R's last full week of school and it's completely uneventful: no concerts, no rehearsals, no field trips, no field days!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#287 of 418 Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Gaye--I'm glad you made it through the race.  Sorry about your Garmin and about feeling the lack of hydration and the bowling injury.

bec--Ugh on the bailing.  I hope you're able to keep the water out; I hate being stressed out about possible home damage.

sparkle--I'm sorry to have gotten all confrontational earlier.  Sometimes I just start going blahblah.gif and can't reign it in.  I know most people are good at heart and trying to negotiate a difficult situation the best they can.  I continue to work on my patience out in public.  redface.gif

I did manage to talk myself into planting my vegetables late this afternoon and draping some netting over them in the hopes that the wildlife won't eat everything.  I also pulled up some weeds, including some poison ivy, so I'm right on schedule to have my first case this week.

I then put into action my twenty-minute chore plan, wiping the spots of mold off of the bathroom ceiling while DS was in the tub and then scouring the tub with baking soda while the kids brushed their teeth and put on pajamas.  It took way longer than twenty minutes, which is usually the case when I decide to do housework.  Half of the patches on DS' pants are done, too.  Man, I'm terrible at sewing.

Tomorrow I hope to do some running.  We'll see if I can make that happen, while working on some of my other twenty-minute projects.

#288 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 AM

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#289 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Lisa ~ I believe in the power of mama's milk!  Keep an eye on her and you'll know if you need to go to the Dr.  

Good race, Gaye!! =)

We should hear about the house offer today, I hope.  The deadline is 5pm, and I don't think it'll be at all like the last offer.  praying.gif

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#290 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

You okay, mommajb?

Lalala ~ you've motivated me to try the 20 minute thing too.  I sat down this morning and made a list of things to do when I have 20 spare minutes.  And thank you for your candid comments about dealing with your DD's birthmark.

Real ~ hope the babe stays fever free!

Bec ~ yay for good dance recitals!!!!

It's our last full week of school here too ( 1 1/2 days next week), but unlike Real's unscheduled week, I'm volunteering in DD2's preschool this morning, DD1 has a field trip this afternoon, there is a picnic to celebrate the end of preschool on Thursday and the elementary school award's ceremony is on Friday (DD1 is getting an award and DS is playing the recorder with a select group, so I will be there).  And I have the lofty goal of either running, biking or swimming every day this week!  Today, a run after preschool....

#291 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 AM

La4 - not confrontational AT ALL. Helpful

#292 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 AM

MelW - We're nearly neighbors!  I'm on San Juan Island.  Vancouver Island looms on our horizon but you can hardly distinguish us from there.

Memiles - If you're around could you describe more about your hip pain that turned out to be a cyst?  Just curious to know how the pain manifested.  Mine moves around quite a lot.  And varies form day to day.

Gaye - Thank goodness you found your Garmin!  And didn't get run over in the process!  Good race, especially given the circumstances. 

Jen - Any news on the house?

Mommajb - How did SD go?  Are you still there?

La4 - I took you 20 minute project idea too and finally cleaned the grill!  On Saturday I'd cooked some chicken by torching it in a grease fire at about 700* and though it cooked rather abruptly I knew it was time to do a real cleaning.

Today I'm trying to decide what to do.  I have time to go do a strength workout or a swim but I also have a cough suddenly and am choking up all sorts of lungular nonsense.  Will a workout make it worse?  Why can I never remember?  Why do I always seem antsy to exercise when I'm just getting sick? 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#293 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM

It's not letting me type below the quote.  Weird.

Anyhoo, the pain was in front, basically next to the point part of my hip bone.  I'd describe it as pinchy, and I felt it most when I was sitting down, especially when I was going to the bathroom.  Not something that increased with activity (that I remember, this was years ago), but I wasn't very active at that time.  It was completely random as far as timing, but alway on the same side.  The pain I'm having now is also in my hip, moves around a lot (sometimes front and feels muscular, sometimes side and feels jointy, sometimes back and feels nerve-ish.  How's that for random.

Gaye, awesome RR.  I, too would have gone back for the Garmin.  Priorities, baby!

I'm alone in my house.  It's weird.  Day 2 of dh working at the office full time.  The childcare thing is getting nerve wracking- ds's girlfriend had said she was fine with doing the mornings, but yesterday was whining about the idea of having to get up early because she has a cold.  Um, ok.  I knew that something like this was going to happen and DH got pissed, so he scratched her off his list and called his ancient, sickly aunt, who would be THRILLED to feel useful and come over at any time.  I hate asking her, but she's really lonely (grandkids live far away, other kids ignore her), so I'm trying to get my mind around the fact that it's something she's happy to do.  And since she has no other responsibilities, if she has to get up at 5 and come over, she can nap all day if she needs to.  I also talked to one of the car pool moms, and as long as it's late enough that I would be getting up with Courtney, I'm welcome to bring E to her as her kids are in the same schools and they are on the same time schedules.  Summer can't come soon enough, so I can just leave a note for Courtney and let them go at each other all day alone if I have to go.  Sigh.

We have a 41+5 mama who is making me really anxious.  I want to go out for a run, but I have this fear of being half an hour from home and getting called.  Maybe I'll drive down to the park and go from there so I can do some loops and never be really far from the car.  I got spoiled with DH home that if I got a call while I was out, he'd pop in the car and come get me if I was too far out.  Have I mentioned how excited I am for his new opportunity? (insert sarcastic eye roll here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Memiles - If you're around could you describe more about your hip pain that turned out to be a cyst?  Just curious to know how the pain manifested.  Mine moves around quite a lot.  And varies form day to day.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#294 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Back from the gym. Had a weird work-out. Really tired this morning (I have been sleeping like Im drugged lately, very unusual, and then when I wake I still feel like I cant shake it), but had some caffeine blush.gif and "just did it". The weird part was that the bike portion was either easy, or the settings on this particular bike are way off the other bikes. I was up 2-3 levels from where I usually ride, and felt really strong (wha?) - I dont like it when I cant trust my readings lol.gif - and went longer than usual (55 minutes rather than 43), but after 10 minutes the whole thing came to a halt when i stopped pedaling for 10 seconds to adjust my foot-strap irked.gif so I had to start all over

and then when I went to do the run portion of my "brick" my left leg (not the right, the infamous, nagging right) started hurting enough that I stopped after 10 minutes. Of course its fine now. I was gassed on that ten minutes though. Glad I went and all, but kind of a wonky, blah, bleh work-out.

#295 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Got 15 miles in this weekend in the running shoes, another 17 in the bike saddle.  We're DONE with soccer, recitals, et al.  Now we just have 12 more school days for DD, three more lectures (and a boatload of grading) for me.  I'm also DONE with the rain.  DONE.

Can't type below the quote either....

That's exactly how I felt last week.  It took 5 days of going to be an hour and a half early and getting up 30 minutes later to shake it.  Coffee wasn't even touching it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Really tired this morning (I have been sleeping like Im drugged lately, very unusual, and then when I wake I still feel like I cant shake it),
#296 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

RR ~ biked DD to preschool in the trailer, biked to the Y after preschool, ran 1/2 a mile and saw a MASSIVE thunderstorm moving in from the west, stopped running and biked home, arriving about 20 seconds before the storm hit.  Phew!!!

#297 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
bec

Close one, JG!!! 

I have been enjoying a nice relaxing day!  You know when you have nothing to do, and feel like you should be doing something because you have been so busy?  That's how I've been feeling all day!

I did manage to get a lot of my house picked up, though, so it is almost back together after having rampaged my house on Friday, and then the normal recital chaos!

#298 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Off to the Y now.

Big weekend of no exercise + long meeting all day of lots of blahblah.gif .

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#299 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM

RR: 3+ miles outside this morning, trying to squeeze it in before a work meeting.  Then spent hours making a cement block patio extension, lifting carrying, moving.  Got to be good exercise !

NRR: last day of school tomorrow.  undecided about the summer and future at this point.  Just trying to reach some sort of "normal" for our family.  DS1 is off his anxiety meds that were really horrible for him, and it's obvious that he is still suffering withdrawal, but closer to the son that I know.  Thought about homeschooling him every year since he was a toddler.  When he started therapy in January the therapist asked if we thought about homeschooling him because that's where most of his anxiety and stress comes from.  Thought about it more then.  Last week had his case conference to get him on IEP for middle school and the special education teacher caught up to me afterwards and asked me in private if we have concidered homeschooling him because he is miserable at school (others treat him horribly).  She told me that she has NEVER talked to a parent about that (and aroudn 20 years of experience!!).  So...... been thinking and researching the possibility.  Have psych consult for him but can't get in until July (and yes, I've called numerous places). 

Love to you ladies!

#300 of 418 Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM

quick drive by: I lost my phone. (grrr! and apparently my phone book with it)

RM: middle school here is 6,7,8. We have great options for elementary and a couple of options for high school. I know three families who decided to home school middle school to get their kids by -- each had a different reason, each child went back to school (one public, one private, one charter) for high school because the kids missed it. I know you will find his and your way through this.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Baby Jogger

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page