Running Around the Maypole ~ the May Dingo Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MelW - Yes!  I'd love to do that!  Or even somewhere more rural on Vancouver Island.  Or here, if you'd like a little trip to America (well, almost America).

JayGee - I have big windows too that are west facing and the sun can just be blinding coming through.  We found these at Lowes thinking it would be a temporary fix but they work so well and are really quite attractive that I think we'll keep them (they are also the only option I found for windows that large for anywhere close to the price- I'd been astonished at what regular blinds cost).  We've since bought two more sets for other windows and I'll probably get another pair before the downstairs is done.

Penelope - Good job woman!  I'm so proud of you for holding your dh accountable.  That's so hard to do but so important.

Gaye!  That cake is precious!  How do you do it?  You are just such a rock star!  Mom, Triathlete, Star Student, Hottie.  Damn!

Jennie!  Yay!  Congrats and yes, now for the Homemaking part.  Have you read Radical Homemakers?  It's nothing we don't already know about how sick it is that the economics we're meant to support is all about consuming consuming consuming and are meant to to work every minute of the day for $ so we can buy the things we all once either didn't need in the first place or things we could make for ourselves if we weren't handcuffed to a timeclock.  But I love the term since it's basically what dh and I are working towards, as are many in MDC, but never had such a succinct title before.  Anyway, it makes me think of you. blowkiss.gif

Megan - The Miles Circuit!  I love it!  That is so cool and you should be proud!  And I can get how it feels somehow fraudulent to take credit for what is sort of ancient wisdom that at some point women learned from their mothers and grandmothers but that's not how the world works these days (see above re: Radical Homemakers) and in order for you to use your time to help reclaim our birthright of using our intuition and birthing our babies the way we know we can in the depths of our souls, you need some sort of credit.  So, in lieu of a barter system wherein a midwife would trade her knowledge for goods or services she needs, you trade your knowledge for professional cred that you can use to widen your circle of clients, and thereby widen the circle of women who have a more comfortable understanding of what is possible.

So, wish me luck and any gardeners in the cafe please send me extra strong vibes today.  Dh built a hoop house and tilled out  about 1/3 of an acre and started about 10,000 seeds, and today is moving day for most of the starts to go into the ground.  I have 0 confidence in my ability to garden, let alone farm, but (see above re: Radical Homemakers lol.gif) I want to start getting it right.  That will probably count for exercise too, right?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#362 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Ooh, share!  I'm always looking for tricks!

We used a partially deflated birth ball, and had the woman lie on her side with bottom knee bent and tucked the ball against the back of her knee the top leg sits on top of the ball (properly deflating it is essential to get it to balance up there). The position helps to open the pelvis and let babies rotate, and is usually pretty easy for fetal monitoring ( the downside of the exaggerated Sims if there's an epidural).

Gaye, your cake is beautiful! Agreed, you're amazing!

Plady, we'd love to have you here. I'm certainly rural (village pop. 1800), and the mountain bikers keep up a pretty impressive trail system. But now that I know you have a small farm a visit there is getting tempting!! My passport is actually out for renewal right now, just for the sake of being able to make a spontaneous trip one day. Good luck with the transplanting!

RR- Not farming, but off to work on my new garden beds. Hooray for sunshine and gardening!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#363 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Just popping in to add that, Real, when I read your last post about coughing, my first thought was, "man, Lisa gets a lot of coughs. Do all of her colds settle in her lungs, or what?" and then, d'oh, yes, of course, asthma. SO glad you have some improvement. And btw, I empathize on the continence challenge.

No workout at all today, and in fact I stayed up late with my friend and the shisha. But before that, we had lovely, fresh salads and juices for dinner. So fun just to hang out. Of course, now I have a headache.

Tomorrow is back to the workaday grind. Dh has to return the rental car and I suppose he will want me to drive scared.gif and pick him up. So my plan is to run after breakfast, swim with the kids, and see what the day brings.

#364 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi mamas,

Checking in with the Dingoes. 

Picked up my race packet and got everything set out and ready to go for the AM.  Have had really bad stomach cramps and a fever today angry.gif which reminds me that control is just an illusion LOL!  I am going on the assumption and the intention that tomorrow will find me feeling rested and great.  Probably won't be going for a PR, a finish will do fine............

And thanks to Paige for the reminder to drink some gatorade tonight!!!!

See you on the other side Dingoes!  Woot Woot!  ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#365 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Ooh, share!  I'm always looking for tricks!

We used a partially deflated birth ball, and had the woman lie on her side with bottom knee bent and tucked the ball against the back of her knee the top leg sits on top of the ball (properly deflating it is essential to get it to balance up there). The position helps to open the pelvis and let babies rotate, and is usually pretty easy for fetal monitoring ( the downside of the exaggerated Sims if there's an epidural).

Gaye, your cake is beautiful! Agreed, you're amazing!

Plady, we'd love to have you here. I'm certainly rural (village pop. 1800), and the mountain bikers keep up a pretty impressive trail system. But now that I know you have a small farm a visit there is getting tempting!! My passport is actually out for renewal right now, just for the sake of being able to make a spontaneous trip one day. Good luck with the transplanting!

RR- Not farming, but off to work on my new garden beds. Hooray for sunshine and gardening!

Damn weird formatting.  Sounds like something I do with the food tray for hospital births, but the birth ball idea translates anywhere.  Awesome :)

ND, you are going to feel amazing tomorrow.  Can't wait to hear your story!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#366 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 PM
bec

ND - Manifesting strength, health, confidence and energy for you tomorrow!!!!  I can't wait to hear your RR!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#367 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

So, wish me luck and any gardeners in the cafe please send me extra strong vibes today.  Dh built a hoop house and tilled out  about 1/3 of an acre and started about 10,000 seeds, and today is moving day for most of the starts to go into the ground.  I have 0 confidence in my ability to garden, let alone farm, but (see above re: Radical Homemakers lol.gif) I want to start getting it right.  That will probably count for exercise too, right?

Great good luck! I love to garden, am not especially skilled, have had good years and bad, but find it amazingly enjoyable. smile.gif It will count for exercise (f'rex, I lugged a dozen bags of compost/manure/topsoil weighing between 40 and 50 pounds each into my garden today and spread and tilled and planted. And I'm not even close to being done.

Have you read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"? It's a great inspiration book for gardening!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#368 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Hi mamas!

Somehow I got unsubbed or something, I haven't gotten messages in days. Gah.

ND, you are going to ROCK your race! Sending you calm tummy vibes, and vibes for perseverance, strength, speed, stamina, belief in yourself, courage, faith.

Kerc (?) I can only wear one certain kind of socks or I get wicked blisters. I like the Balanga ones. You know what I don't even know if that's precisely what they're called. They start with a b and have a funky name. eyesroll.gif lol.gif D'oh.

So today I had my last race with my students. It was a 5k benefiting our local public special needs school. My kids did great, and I did fine. 27:04 which was about 30 secs off my PR in March but considering I'm 12 days post-op and it was about 90% humidity and 75* at 7:15 a.m., I'll take it. 15th in my age group (out of 45 I believe); 262 out of just under 800 runners total.

I'm starting to be able to say I'm near the FRONT of the MIDDLE of the pack. Haha

Anyway I had the students and their parents over for pizza this afternoon for a celebration. I got pizza, cake, chips, veggies, etc. (Made myself a gluten free pizza). They came in and had made me gluten free chocolate chip cookies. But they also brought me cards, flowers, a photo album with shots from the class and the races, a photo frame collage, and a t-shirt that says She Kicks Butt.

Oh my gosh. I lost it I was crying so hard. They are the big success story of my year. And a couple of them especially to whom I've grown very close want to know when they can come to Camp Dr. Nicole up north. Seriously, I am so moved. So it goes to show you that there are some quality, amazing people in some of those middle school age kids. They can get lost behind the drama-makers but they are there. And I so needed to see it again this week.

I think that my electives -- this running course that turned into a real team -- and my Shakespeare elective were the best things about the whole year.

Anyway. I'm up for a long run in the morning but am going to try and take it easy so I don't implode again like last week.

Dh is away doing his triathlon camp...Thurs. was our anniversary and he had 18 red roses delivered to me at school. Talk about awesome! But anyway he flew off for his camp and wouldn't you know it but his bike didn't get there!! (He had it packed up and it was with the luggage). He said he rode 22 miles today in loafers and a rented bike. Argh. Hopefully he'll get it soon but what a drag. I hope it wasn't stolen.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#369 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Nick--glad you had such a great day and a nice 5K.

tjsmama--another amazing cake!

Geo--that's a nice run!

Plady--you'll do fine. Honestly, don't let Radical Homemakers make it sound like gardening is a big deal. That book annoyed me more than anything, considering I've done much of what she's done and had a job too (though minus poultry or livestock or part where she mooched on her parents or people with a car when they couldn't be bothered to own one and pay the man for insurance, but were happy for someone else to do all that and give them a ride). I had the feeling she didn't grow up in the Midwest where having a large garden and preserving the extra food for the winter isn't the least bit radical (or in Colorado where most of my neighbors have a large garden or tomatoes hanging upside down on the porch, etc) but I'll stop before I sound like a party pooper. You'll do an awesome job. Also, I second Penelope's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle recommendation. That was an awesome read.

1jooj--good luck getting back into the grind. I hope it's a more pleasant grind this time.

ND--good luck!

Went hiking today in some nearby open space and it was fun. Now I'm feeling inspired by tjsmama's baking and thinking about making zucchini muffins with last summer's leftover zucchini. Want. baked. goods. lol.gif That also reminds me that I hope to get the rest of the cold crops and most of the warm ones planted on Monday. I grew tomatoes from seed but have been holding off on planting them because it's been so chilly. Next week's supposed to be in the 80s though, so they'll be very happy, I hope.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#370 of 418 Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM

plady~Oh, hush. redface.gif

Go, ND, go!!!! jog.gifjog.gifjog.gif

real~I'm thinking the 5:45ish bus again, because you know me and my paranoid need to be ridiculously early. My friend from school is probably going to meet me there, too, unless we can come up with a better spot to meet to carpool up there between my place and HR. My wave is at 7:19, I think.

So. Very. Tired. After getting to bed just before 2am, DS was in my room at 10 till 6. At least he went back to sleep, but I had to get up at 7 to get ready to leave for his party anyway. The party was a huge success. As much as I originally didn't want to pay that much for a party, the kids had an absolute blast, so it was worth it. The cake was a hit, and even tasted pretty good (I was a little nervous, since I was trying a recipe I'd never used before in order to fulfill the strawberry cake requirement).

After we got home (and XH stopped by to see DS for a few minutes before heading out of town to drive his car to Ohio), we headed out to run a couple of errands and pick up DS's big boy bike off of layaway at the bike shop. The only bummer was that even though they had told me that it would be easy to put the training wheels on, but sure enough, I got home and the nuts on the rear axle won't budge. So, I guess I need to take it back to the bike shop, which I'd like to do tomorrow, but they're so crazy busy with the holiday weekend that it could take hours. irked.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#371 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

ND ~ Hope you woke up this morning feeling great!  Have an awesome marathon!

Gaye ~ glad the party went so well.  I'm so impressed with your cake decorating abilities.

Nic ~ You've been such a gift to those middle schoolers.  Congrats on a great race too!

Thanks for all the window ideas.  We actually already have blinds up on them, but the room looks so bland and needs color, so I was thinking I could help that out with a curtain.  The windows face the back yard, so no privacy issues.  I did find some curtains and a rod that would be big enough, but for more than $500, I don't think so. 

We're going biking this afternoon on the paved trail up in Edwardsville (JenLove knows where I'm talking about!).  Luckily, it's finally stopped raining too.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#372 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Plady ~ I have read Radical Homemakers, and it was a definite push in motivation for a homestead.  I am amazed that book made you think of me, but it makes me smile. :)  I'd love to see your hoop house!!  Can you post pictures on FB maybe?

Garden ~ We planted one at my parent's house yesterday - green onions, sunflowers, yellow onions, watermelon, cucumbers, canteloupe, pumpkins, red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, lots of tomatoes, peppers, green beans, green peas, chives, and some flowers.  I came home and started my herbs in containers - basil, oregano, cilantro, chamomile, calendula, and some more sunflowers.  I came home sore and tired but completely accomplished.

ND ~ Happy race day!  I hope your tummy is better and your legs are ready to go.  Have a great race!! :)

Jo ~ I hope your day is going well and being back in the "groove" is going groovy. <3

Nemesis ~ I'm thinking of you and how I want you to visit when our homestead is up and running, so I can convince you to move onto the land.  LOL! =)  Mostly though because we are talking about going to Marquette tomorrow and I know how you want to visit there. :)  I hope you are good!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#373 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Thanks for all the window ideas.  We actually already have blinds up on them, but the room looks so bland and needs color, so I was thinking I could help that out with a curtain.  The windows face the back yard, so no privacy issues.  I did find some curtains and a rod that would be big enough, but for more than $500, I don't think so. 

We're going biking this afternoon on the paved trail up in Edwardsville (JenLove knows where I'm talking about!).  Luckily, it's finally stopped raining too.

I get curtain rods from Target. Double curtain rods will hold sheers and regular curtains - nice for really big windows or a more formal look. They're durable and not expensive. Curtains from IKEA are usually good and cheap, but I've also gotten them from Target and Pier One and I've made my own. $500 is wayyyyyyy too much, ITA! I don't remember if you sew, but curtains are about the easiest thing in the world - four straight seams each.

What color are the walls? What about the flooring? What about the furniture? If you've got a room full of neutrals, some really striking print curtains can make a big difference, IMO. So can throw pillows (check Etsy) and rugs. You might also look for really vibrant art - if you have a budget for it and a local art department/school you might be able to commission a piece or buy student work that is nicely done but affordable.

I'm in a house full of neutrals and it's kind of driving me crazy, but I need to clean before I can even think about redecorating, and it will mean rearranging instead of buying new - but it can be fun. smile.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#374 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 AM

JayGee ~ Yes I know that trail!  J and I used to bike it.  It's really nice!  And if you go through SIUE give it a way for me.  That's my alma mater!!! =)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#375 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Real - Yes, I am getting the same vibe the farther into the book I go.  I was thinking about the whole borrowing-a-car-instead-of-having-their-own thing and I'm hoping that they fill the tank and do something nice to offset the basic moochiness of it all. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Have you read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"? It's a great inspiration book for gardening!

That's the book that helped convince me that chickens were a good idea.  And I keep thinking about her tactic of using newspaper to mulch their garden while they went on vacation, one of our next projects once things are in the ground is cutting up cardboard to make collars for plants.  It all sounds so reasonable and simple in theory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

Plady ~ I have read Radical Homemakers, and it was a definite push in motivation for a homestead.  I am amazed that book made you think of me, but it makes me smile. :)  I'd love to see your hoop house!!  Can you post pictures on FB maybe?

Hoop house a few weeks back   The house looks kind of small

IMG_2990.JPGSo here are some shots (I hope).  The guy with the pony tail is this sweet earnest 22 year old farmer who has totally absorbed all the essentials about what to plant with what and where and how to create microclimates and develop the soil and all that stuff that I read and get overwhelmed by.  He and his girlfriend are helping out in exchange for part of everything that grows. 

ND - Run ND Run! 

Okay, back to the garden I go!  If these pictures work out I'll try to post updates.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#376 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Plady, it looks amazing! So cool that you have people collaborating with you, too. I used to be part of a big community garden and the wealth of expertise was so valuable- from the soil science grad student, to the carpenter, to the permaculture expert, etc. I learned so much from peering into other people's plots and talking about their plans and plants.

Jo, glad you're getting into the routine.

Gaye, good luck an have fun today! Glad the party went well.

Nic, what a great last run with your students! Congrats on the post-op PR, and on a terrific class!

Last night we had a babysitter and went to my husband's colleague's house for a drink. We biked over but both forgot to grab lights, so biked home in the dark. It's not far, and on very quiet roads, but felt very adolescent (in a fun way) to be biking in the dark.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#377 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Plady--that looks like fun. It's great to have such a nice open space to work with. I have to be fairly creative to plant as much as I want here. FWIW, I blogged about Radical Homemakers here, if you're interested.

tjsmama--yeah, I'll be at the Westy PnR around 5:45. I'm paranoid about missing my wave start seeing as that actually happened to me one year and I'd like extra time anyhow with the new start line and all. I'll watch for you.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#378 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Boo... DS went to a friend's house right after church, DH decided he needed a workout, so I'm here at home with the girls (who are washing my van with a friend) rather than biking on the bike trail.  At least I got out this morning for a run, even if it was the WORST run in recent history.  Not even 4 miles, walked the last 3/4 mile and just felt awful through the entire thing.  I'm sure the heat, humidity and hot wind didn't help, but still....  Oh yeah, and the 10 pounds I've put on since Easter.  That didn't help either.  Why can't I get motivated to train, or race, or even eat right?  Life just feels so disappointing these days.

Plady, love your gardens! 

Guess, I'll go empty the dishwasher and fold some laundry.  Sigh...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#379 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
bec

Plady - Awesome garden (farm?).  It looks amazing and overwhelming, and I just wish I had full sun!!

JG - I missed the window covering thing.  I have a large picture window that has 4 panels of curtains from Ikea.  They cover the expanse when they are closed, and when I want them open, I gather two panels together with a tie-back.  It's not fancy, but it works and looks decent.  With the curtain rod, I think I paid about $50 for the window.

ND - I can't wait to hear the report!!!!

RR - I ran 3.5 miles, finishing up about 30 seconds before the skies opened up with a massive thunderstorm!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#380 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Back from a whirlwind weekend at a forest service campground on the very edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Show up friday, dh is there staking out sites for our three families. I'm there 5 minutes and I head up to the outfitter to buy a bug net (see my FB for photos).  It rains overnight and then *pours* saturday morning. During the 2 hours it wasn't raining Saturday the bugs were so bad I almost cried. Then it began raining again and I did cry. Did I mention my super heavy period? Thank goodness we were in a campground and not back country camping....Kids had fun, I did too. It helped that today ended with a 5 hour paddle + picnic. The bugs were so bad on shore I entertained thoughts of hosting my family's lunch in our canoe. But apparently it was fun enough that our friends (2 adults + their 7 yo) are now buying their own tent + stove and planning on camping on a more regular basis. That's where I say huh? It would be like someone coming to the first Dingo Meet up near Chicago and walking away thinking, "Geez let's do that camping thing again because it was so dang fun."  I on the other hand walked away from both experiences thinking, "motel next time."  And yes, Geofizz, there are trees in the photos....

For reference:

• LLBean makes very waterproof raincoats for kids. You might be able to throw your kid in the pool and their shirt would be dry.
  • Always bring 2 x as many pair of wool socks as you think you'll need. Your kids will get theirs wet and need yours.
  • $65 is not too much to spend on a screen tent that can fit over a picnic table and shield you from the sun and rain. $150 might not be too much if you have side flaps to keep the rain out of the sides.

What did I miss?

Windows: yes, total PIA to cover especially when very sunny and you don't want to pay a lot. One thought I have is to buy cutains you like and blackout fabric at Joanns and line them with blackout fabric.

Naughty Dingo ran a marathon, no?

Socks, yes. I'm a wool snob too.  and I'm totally buying new shoes this month. As much as I hate spending the $$.

Real: I hope you are recovering from your coughs. I thought I had exercise induced asthma from about age 15-27, complete with inhaler. Worried I would need one during labor. Apparently my pregnancies cured me of it. But seriously, it wasn't terrible once I had the inhaler.

Jaygee: Do you think your recent funk is just a post-move thing? I moved every 2-3 years as a kid and now I find myself every 2-3 years wanting some change. I'm wondering if this move has you settled and now you're like, "So what do I do now?" 

Anyone do anything good this weekend?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#381 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Good evening!

Plady--awesome planting!  I look at those pictures and get overwhelmed just thinking about it.  It was almost too much for me to put ten small vegetable plants into the ground and cover the area with anti-critter netting.  Eek.

Speaking of which, the morning after I put up the anti-critter netting I went out to water vegetables and found the body of a chipmunk tangled in the net.  It was very dead, for which I was grateful; I would probably have been hysterical if there were a chipmunk killing itself in the net while I desperately tried to free it.  I spent ten minutes trying to work its body out of the net before giving up and going for the scissors.  Poor little guy; I hope he'll be the only one to come to such an end.  They are pests and two summers ago probably ate all of my broccoli and lettuce, but they are awfully cute, too.

tjsmama--I'm glad the party went well and the cake turned out beautiful.  Sorry about DS's bike.  From the picture on Facebook, it just looks really huge for him.  I remember even as someone who was a pretty good bike-rider I was really nervous riding a bike where my feet didn't touch the ground.  I don't know if I'd want a beginner to have to deal with that.  I hope you'll be able to find a solution for the summer!

Nic--It's great that you had such a warm end of the year experience with your running kids.  It's nice to feel appreciated, especially by an age group that isn't generally known for being appreciative.

JayGee--I suck at curtains.  We've lived here for three years and still have bare curtain rods (from the previous owner) in our living room and our bedroom.  The kids only just got curtains last month, because we went into Bed, Bath, whatever and DD's eye was caught by a set of neon pink curtains with sequins sewn onto them.  They were SO beautiful, she got all loveeyes.gif and I didn't see the harm in buying them.  DS, not to be outdone, also chose curtains, although not as dramatic as his sister's.  Maybe I should just let the kids decide what we'll do with the living-room windows?  We really should have something, as I often walk through the living room naked, on my way from the shower on the main floor to my bedroom upstairs.  We don't have anyone directly looking toward our windows, since we have a long driveway, but someone standing on our front porch is going to be surprised one of these days.  If I time it right, maybe it will be the Jehovah's Witnesses or those nice Mormon boys who keep wanting to talk religion with me.  bigeyes.gif  Sorry you were stuck at home instead of riding.  I hope tomorrow will work out better.

ND--I'm glad the race went well.  I trust the stomach problems weren't an issue at all?  Good timing, then.

Real--How are you feeling?  Still getting better?  Are you taking deep breaths now, or still dealing with coughing?

Today was busy.  I ended up with both kids wanting to go to church with me this morning, which is rare.  Generally DS would rather stay at home and talk DH into letting him watch TV.  When we came home DH was still asleep, which means he slept for 15 hours last night, since he went to bed early, too.  I went out grocery shopping and then we had told the kids we'd take them on a nature trail nearby.  DH didn't want to go; he says he gets too out of breath, he's too fat, he needs to lose weight.  This is true, and just last night we bought an elliptical machine for Father's Day, so he can start working out at home.  But really, you can't keep up with a five-year-old?  Lame.  Baseball game was on TV and I didn't fight about it.  So I had the kids alone on the trail, which was fine, actually, if a bit lonely for me.  It took us an hour to walk it, and my kids are good hikers who don't complain.  The two of them very nicely played some Pokemon imaginary game almost the entire time.  Apparently the woods were riddled with wild Pokemon, and my kids have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the names and powers of these creatures that they hadn't heard of a year ago.

I came home, ditched the kids, and went for a run.  It felt crappy, which I knew going out there.  I hadn't eaten enough today and I drank some coffee, and my hands were shaking as I was getting dressed to go out.  I ate some crackers but it didn't help much.  I cut it short and did 5.5 instead of the 7 I'd hoped to do.  I made DH make a big salad for dinner, and also made him choose a game for our family game night, which went very well.  I did get some time to myself today, but at the same time I feel like the time I spent with the kids today was pretty taxing, getting them ready for church, getting them home, and getting them ready again and out for a hike, and even without the kids at the grocery store and on the roads, I wasn't exactly resting.

I'm trying to not be pissed.

Tomorrow we'd told the kids (okay, I guess technically I told the kids, but DH agreed) we'd take them hiking on an actual mountain, which we did once at the end of last summer.  We made trail mix and were climbing for hours and it was really neat.  I'm making the assumption that if DH wouldn't do a neighborhood walk today, he's going to ditch tomorrow's mountain.  I like to hike and am excited about it, but I know I'm going to be resentful being a solo parent out on a hike for the entire day while DH has another day off, relaxing on the couch.  I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.  Maybe drinking the rest of the rum in the refrigerator would help me decide?

I think so.  drink.gif

#382 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Good evening!

Plady--awesome planting!  I look at those pictures and get overwhelmed just thinking about it.  It was almost too much for me to put ten small vegetable plants into the ground and cover the area with anti-critter netting.  Eek.

Speaking of which, the morning after I put up the anti-critter netting I went out to water vegetables and found the body of a chipmunk tangled in the net.  It was very dead, for which I was grateful; I would probably have been hysterical if there were a chipmunk killing itself in the net while I desperately tried to free it.  I spent ten minutes trying to work its body out of the net before giving up and going for the scissors.  Poor little guy; I hope he'll be the only one to come to such an end.  They are pests and two summers ago probably ate all of my broccoli and lettuce, but they are awfully cute, too.

tjsmama--I'm glad the party went well and the cake turned out beautiful.  Sorry about DS's bike.  From the picture on Facebook, it just looks really huge for him.  I remember even as someone who was a pretty good bike-rider I was really nervous riding a bike where my feet didn't touch the ground.  I don't know if I'd want a beginner to have to deal with that.  I hope you'll be able to find a solution for the summer!

Nic--It's great that you had such a warm end of the year experience with your running kids.  It's nice to feel appreciated, especially by an age group that isn't generally known for being appreciative.

JayGee--I suck at curtains.  We've lived here for three years and still have bare curtain rods (from the previous owner) in our living room and our bedroom.  The kids only just got curtains last month, because we went into Bed, Bath, whatever and DD's eye was caught by a set of neon pink curtains with sequins sewn onto them.  They were SO beautiful, she got all loveeyes.gif and I didn't see the harm in buying them.  DS, not to be outdone, also chose curtains, although not as dramatic as his sister's.  Maybe I should just let the kids decide what we'll do with the living-room windows?  We really should have something, as I often walk through the living room naked, on my way from the shower on the main floor to my bedroom upstairs.  We don't have anyone directly looking toward our windows, since we have a long driveway, but someone standing on our front porch is going to be surprised one of these days.  If I time it right, maybe it will be the Jehovah's Witnesses or those nice Mormon boys who keep wanting to talk religion with me.  bigeyes.gif  Sorry you were stuck at home instead of riding.  I hope tomorrow will work out better.

ND--I'm glad the race went well.  I trust the stomach problems weren't an issue at all?  Good timing, then.

Real--How are you feeling?  Still getting better?  Are you taking deep breaths now, or still dealing with coughing?

Today was busy.  I ended up with both kids wanting to go to church with me this morning, which is rare.  Generally DS would rather stay at home and talk DH into letting him watch TV.  When we came home DH was still asleep, which means he slept for 15 hours last night, since he went to bed early, too.  I went out grocery shopping and then we had told the kids we'd take them on a nature trail nearby.  DH didn't want to go; he says he gets too out of breath, he's too fat, he needs to lose weight.  This is true, and just last night we bought an elliptical machine for Father's Day, so he can start working out at home.  But really, you can't keep up with a five-year-old?  Lame.  Baseball game was on TV and I didn't fight about it.  So I had the kids alone on the trail, which was fine, actually, if a bit lonely for me.  It took us an hour to walk it, and my kids are good hikers who don't complain.  The two of them very nicely played some Pokemon imaginary game almost the entire time.  Apparently the woods were riddled with wild Pokemon, and my kids have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the names and powers of these creatures that they hadn't heard of a year ago.

I came home, ditched the kids, and went for a run.  It felt crappy, which I knew going out there.  I hadn't eaten enough today and I drank some coffee, and my hands were shaking as I was getting dressed to go out.  I ate some crackers but it didn't help much.  I cut it short and did 5.5 instead of the 7 I'd hoped to do.  I made DH make a big salad for dinner, and also made him choose a game for our family game night, which went very well.  I did get some time to myself today, but at the same time I feel like the time I spent with the kids today was pretty taxing, getting them ready for church, getting them home, and getting them ready again and out for a hike, and even without the kids at the grocery store and on the roads, I wasn't exactly resting.

I'm trying to not be pissed.

Tomorrow we'd told the kids (okay, I guess technically I told the kids, but DH agreed) we'd take them hiking on an actual mountain, which we did once at the end of last summer.  We made trail mix and were climbing for hours and it was really neat.  I'm making the assumption that if DH wouldn't do a neighborhood walk today, he's going to ditch tomorrow's mountain.  I like to hike and am excited about it, but I know I'm going to be resentful being a solo parent out on a hike for the entire day while DH has another day off, relaxing on the couch.  I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.  Maybe drinking the rest of the rum in the refrigerator would help me decide?

I think so.  drink.gif

#383 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 PM

double post.... have I already started drinking?  Is there a way to delete this box altogether, or just edit it down to nothing?

#384 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM

#385 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM

La4, I think we are having the same thoughts toward the husbands.  I came her to post the following:

Dear DH:  You told E you were going to take her to see your aunt.  While I went to the gym this morning, you didn't do the things I asked you to do, nor did you see to it that DD1 did the things I asked her to do.  When I came home, I did those things from both of your lists, helped DD1 pack for her trip, cleaned the guinea pig cage, and went outside to finally plant the new starts I'd asked you to put in.  While I was doing that, you said "I'll be right back".  Three hours later, you came home, having spent that time with your aunt.  The pizza you brought home wasn't what I wanted (or purchased) for dinner, and now you hiding downstairs while I sit here with E whining that she wanted to go see Aunt J and that she hasn't had a chance to do anything fun all day is putting me over the edge.  Don't know what's gotten into you today, but I'm DONE.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#386 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM

plady~NICE!

la~I would be irked.gif as well, for sure. And you, too, memiles! At least there are SOME upsides to not having to deal with a DH. orngtongue.gif

It was a pretty nice day today. Since my friend bailed on our planned ride this morning and I already had the nanny set up (and would have felt guilty about cancelling her), I decided to join the team training ride for my Courage Classic team. It was a great decision. Some really cool people, some gorgeous scenery, a TON of elk, and a good workout. Maybe too good, considering I'm supposed to "race" a 10k tomorrow! There was definitely more climbing than I anticipated, which I definitely need. Just maybe not the day before a race. orngtongue.gif My new friends/teammates tried to help me put the training wheels on DS's bike, but unfortunately, they won't fit because it has a derailleur, and they don't make training wheels for bikes with derailleurs. So we are going to just try to skip the training wheels and go straight to learning how to ride on 2 wheels, I guess. The bike is definitely a little big for him, which doesn't help, but I'm hopeful that maybe we'll get it figured out this summer. If he was a bit less timid, I think he'd be ok, but he's so timid that he's scared to try. We'll get there. I kind of think (as with the swim lessons) that he needs someone besides mommy to try to teach him, because his first instinct when he's scared is always to grab me.

Tomorrow morning...the Bolder Boulder. Must. Get. To. Bed. Early. biglaugh.gif And then, to appease my guilty conscience for ditching DS for the majority of his actual birthday to run a race redface.gif, I told him we could do whatever he wanted (zoo, hike, airplane museum, pool), and he chose the pool. So I guess I need to figure out if the rec centers with the cool pools (with slides and fountains and stuff) are open tomorrow, or if we'll be stuck with the boring Y pool. orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#387 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 PM

And now, because DH didn't shut the garage door.....the dog just went in and ate an entire box of expensive protein bars that I keep for births/stuck without GF food times.  Seriously?

#388 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Back from Taos. Whew. Camping with kids wears me out. Sad. Getting old.

We prepped friday, left yesterday morning and got back this afternoon. We intended to do our regular hike yesterday, which is a couple miles up a few thousand feet elevation gain to the peak of the highest mtn. in NM but half-way up we were snowed out, and since most of us were wearing sandals, hiking through the snow was not an option (although ds and dd1 tried for a few hundred yards, and then proceeded to scream - ds - that his feet were burning and took off his sandals and just cried, until we could convince him to put the shoes back on and post-hole outta there!). So we drove to the land area we've been looking at online and did some recon.

Then drove to the land that our friends own, where they host an annual group-camp on memorial day weekend that they call kidpalooza. They have 40 acres about a half hour southwest of Taos; very dry, very scrubby, where they built a sort of fort big enough for them to sleep in and an outdoor kitchen, but there is no water, so everyone bring in 5 or so gallons and a ton of food, and we all pitch tents around the land and the kids all run around the woods for a few days and the grown-ups drink a lot and hang out, and during the days we drive to the river (rio grande) 15-20 minutes away for rafting - mostly kid rafting, and parent shuttling. But dh had to work this afternoon, so we just went for the night and left mid-morning today. Kids went to bed last night at 10 or later. I put dd2 and myself down around 9; I wasnt even up when my 6 and 8 year olds went to bed bag.giflol.gif

Sorry no personal. Just too tired. ...

Except Plady - so beautiful!!!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#389 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Wow, ladies. Lots happens when it happens.

Memiles, I get that kind of stuff going on here too. "Here," as in, in this relationship. :/ Sorry, mama.

Plady, holy shmoly! It's good work! Like real said, don't let the book scare you into thinking gardening is more trouble than it really is...but at the same time, mosquito season and weeding coincide in WI and can result in terrifically weedy gardens. Last year, I know several people who just gave up. We were using hunter deet-based stuff, and mosquitos were biting where the sweat dripped down and cleared a way for them. And like real, while the book is a nice intro to the self-sustaining and interdependent lifestyle that many rural and small town people never stopped enjoying, I got the freeloader vibe from parts too.

OK, dd is up and we are off to breakfast...more later, I hope...I have more hugs for y'all...blowkiss.gif

#390 of 418 Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 PM

So, I got 5k in on the TM downstairs. It was hard and slow, and my heart rate is a lot more reactive in the warmer temps. But at least I finally managed to finish 5k. Part of the difficulty is that I go down to the gym and leave the kids in the room. No reason to worry, but I feel apprehensive whenever I am working out with someone waiting on me. Now getting the kids into swimsuits for our daily swim. I am under some pressure to do something fun with them today. There's a waterpark we have discount coupons for, and maybe if we go before school lets out, the lines will not be too long? Sigh. Ds was crying this morning, missing his friends. I've been missing people too, but mostly in private. Have been streaming iTunes and doing some yoga in the room, and that has helped some. Now, once I get used to running 5k more than a couple times a week, I will work harder on cutting carbs...and I'll be feeling chipper in no time.

P.S. I think we might have bed bugs. crap.gif

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Baby Jogger

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page