Running Around the Maypole ~ the May Dingo Thread - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jo ~ not bed bugs!  Yuck.  Good for you for getting the run in.  I know for myself it's really difficult to work up any running mojo when it's hot. 

sparkle ~ sounds like a fun camping trip, especially for the kids.

memiles ~ ugh... and a hammer.gif for your DH.

Gaye ~ Happy birthday to your DS and have a great race this morning!

Real ~ have a great race too!!!

Lalala ~ whoa, I'd be resentful too, seriously.  Your DH needs to suck it up and take his family hiking already.

ND ~ great job in the marathon!  I'm always in awe of any Dingo who can do the training and run the full 26.2 clap.gif

kerc ~ I think a lot of my depressed mood lately has been because of the move.  I don't have any "real" friends here yet and that makes me feel really isolated.  I miss the "crunchiness" of Bloomington too.  Plus, I'm overwhemed by the stuff I need to get done with this house to get it the way I want it.  Unfortunately, when I feel overwhelmed, inertia takes over and then I get even less done and feel even worse about myself.  Add in the fact that DH is such a "get things done" kind of person and I always feel like I'm not measuring up.  /self pity over

We ended up having a nice day yesterday after all, even though the biking plans fell through.  The weather is finally dry enough for us to try out our new fire pit so we lit a huge campfire in the back yard, invited over the neighbors and stayed up WAY too late roasting marsmallows and enjoying the fire pit.  Today, we're heading to the pool for the inaugural swim of the summer.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#392 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM

La, I really, really feel your pain. It's a twofer, for me: one, I end up being solo parent on all outings that require strategizing or physical exertion; two, the kids see a model of sit on the couch and avoid your obligations, and it chaps my hide. My usual solution: to just do the fun stuff I want to do, and note my sadness that dh doesn't want to participate, and try not to let it ruin my day. hug2.gif

Garden report: I finally got my vegetables all in, and my garden looks pretty and tidy and I cleaned up the yard. I need to research mulching vegetable gardens, as I don't usually mulch and do often get ginormous, overwhelming weeds. (I'm leaning toward newspaper with a good layer of bark over top of it - any reason not to do that?) I put in 20 tomatoes (and grabbed one more as I had a leftover cage), three bunches of asparagus, two peppers, a ton of beans, chard, zucchini, and squash. And we put nasturtiums and salad greens in a little bed that now needs some rabbit protection. I put herbs in boxes on my deck every year and have rosemary, basil, chamomile, mint, thyme, oregano, catmint, sage, dill, and probably some things I'm forgetting... it makes me happy to have it all in.

I'm not going to run today, but I think I'll take a nice long bike ride in a few minutes before turning to carpet scrubbing (ugh.) I did clean out my office and do a ton of work in my bedroom, so the motivation to scrub carpets has already been effective, but it's such an annoying, hot job. The carpets are in some serious need of scrubbing, though!

ND: Great job!

Gaye and Real: Run fast!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#393 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
bec

Did I miss the report from ND?  Or was it on Facebook?  Sometimes I feel so out of touch not having FB.  Anyway, Congrats, ND!  It sounds like you rocked it!

Memiles, La - That is frustrating on the DH front.  I have to admit I feel so incredibly blessed that my DH really does pretty well with the kid outings.  I totally ditched him today after the memorial parade to take a walk with a friend to get iced coffee from McD's, while he wrangled our kids and hers at the crowded playground.  Then, I went to Target with her by myself.  He got rewarded with me bringing back lunch and I mowed the lawn for him!  But he is much more likely than I am to bring the kids out to ice cream or some such thing. 

It sounds like there was some amazing camping going on this weekend!  I have two camping trips planned this summer, but am hoping to get more in spontaneously. 

So, after being forties, wet and rainy all week, it is almost 90, humid and sunny all day today.  I didn't get the bike ride that I was hoping to get in (might go in the evening), but did get a 3 mile walk and mowed the lawn.  Those are some calories spent, in any case!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#394 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Real & Gaye - thinking of you today at the BB. Hope you felt strong and energized and free!

ND - dont know what your results were either but you're done! Happy for your accomplishment broc1.gif

memiles - seriously is right! I'll add some hammer.gifnono.gif and hug.gif for you

kerc - ugh on the bugs. I hate bugs. At least the canoeing sounds nice

RR: stationary bike intervals for 47 minutes and then c25k with an incline at 8:41 pace for 22 min. I think I ran about 7 minutes again. I have to put the TM on an incline so my knee doesnt hurt...

I luxlove.gif the c25k part, because the running is enough, and intense enough that I get my fix with just 7 minutes, and the walk breaks keep my knee from getting too reactive. That said, I have been working out through leg pain since I started up again a month or so ago. The whole right leg, ham and calf, feel like a cord is pulled tight from my glute to my achilles. I foam roll inconsistently but I CANNOT stretch it, or something will happen to my knee and then Im back in the negative loop. So instead, I take an ibuprofen when I exercise lately, and push through pretty decent effort-wise workouts b/c they feel so dang good, and hope the A.R.T. guy can grind my muscles into some kind of suppleness next week, b/c this isnt really working, or at least, I dont think its a very healthy approach nono.gifloveeyes.gif

NRR: cleaned most of the house today = vacuuming the whole thing, 5 loads of laundry washed and out away, unpacked and washed all the camping gear, etc. etc. A sad thing, on the subject of Dh's, is that I feel like I can now maybe sit down and read through this magazine because Ive *earned* it now that Ive been cleaning for 5 hours, like if I dont work hard enough around the house, I feel like a lazy house-wife, which is one reason Dh gets away with doing 2% of house-work crap.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#395 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View PostGarden report: I finally got my vegetables all in, and my garden looks pretty and tidy and I cleaned up the yard. I need to research mulching vegetable gardens, as I don't usually mulch and do often get ginormous, overwhelming weeds. (I'm leaning toward newspaper with a good layer of bark over top of it - any reason not to do that?) I put in 20 tomatoes (and grabbed one more as I had a leftover cage), three bunches of asparagus, two peppers, a ton of beans, chard, zucchini, and squash. And we put nasturtiums and salad greens in a little bed that now needs some rabbit protection. I put herbs in boxes on my deck every year and have rosemary, basil, chamomile, mint, thyme, oregano, catmint, sage, dill, and probably some things I'm forgetting... it makes me happy to have it all in.

That sounds like a ton of good stuff!  And is it safe to infer that your dh does not take part in this?  Amazing.  hug2.gif to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Back from a whirlwind weekend at a forest service campground on the very edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

Dh and I went up there for what was meant to be a 2 week trip around the BWCA after he passed the bar exam.  Another couple was joining us - they didn't bring any food, just fishing poles.  Then the mosquitos came.  I remember we could hear the cloud coming before we could see them and we'd either hunker down in netting suits or get in the water and wait it out with just our mouths out to breathe.  We never caught any fish larger than the lure we used and the whole trip just seemed cursed from start to finish.  I'm glad for you that you had a cheerful conclusion from your friends, our trip turned out to be the breaking point for the other couple and continues to be the worst-case-scenario for me and dh (as in; at least it's better than the Boundary Waters! lol.gif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

Speaking of which, the morning after I put up the anti-critter netting I went out to water vegetables and found the body of a chipmunk tangled in the net.  It was very dead, for which I was grateful; I would probably have been hysterical if there were a chipmunk killing itself in the net while I desperately tried to free it.  I spent ten minutes trying to work its body out of the net before giving up and going for the scissors.  Poor little guy; I hope he'll be the only one to come to such an end.  They are pests and two summers ago probably ate all of my broccoli and lettuce, but they are awfully cute, too.

Eww!

Nic--It's great that you had such a warm end of the year experience with your running kids.  It's nice to feel appreciated, especially by an age group that isn't generally known for being appreciative.

Totally!

Today was busy.  I ended up with both kids wanting to go to church with me this morning, which is rare.  Generally DS would rather stay at home and talk DH into letting him watch TV.  When we came home DH was still asleep, which means he slept for 15 hours last night, since he went to bed early, too.  I went out grocery shopping and then we had told the kids we'd take them on a nature trail nearby.  DH didn't want to go; he says he gets too out of breath, he's too fat, he needs to lose weight.  This is true, and just last night we bought an elliptical machine for Father's Day, so he can start working out at home.  But really, you can't keep up with a five-year-old?  Lame. 

I'm trying to not be pissed.

Tomorrow we'd told the kids (okay, I guess technically I told the kids, but DH agreed) we'd take them hiking on an actual mountain, which we did once at the end of last summer.  We made trail mix and were climbing for hours and it was really neat.  I'm making the assumption that if DH wouldn't do a neighborhood walk today, he's going to ditch tomorrow's mountain.  I like to hike and am excited about it, but I know I'm going to be resentful being a solo parent out on a hike for the entire day while DH has another day off, relaxing on the couch.  I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.  Maybe drinking the rest of the rum in the refrigerator would help me decide?

I think so.  drink.gif

So did the rum help?  I hope you ended up having a nice family hike today. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

My new friends/teammates tried to help me put the training wheels on DS's bike, but unfortunately, they won't fit because it has a derailleur, and they don't make training wheels for bikes with derailleurs. So we are going to just try to skip the training wheels and go straight to learning how to ride on 2 wheels, I guess. The bike is definitely a little big for him, which doesn't help, but I'm hopeful that maybe we'll get it figured out this summer. If he was a bit less timid, I think he'd be ok, but he's so timid that he's scared to try. We'll get there. I kind of think (as with the swim lessons) that he needs someone besides mommy to try to teach him, because his first instinct when he's scared is always to grab me.

I learned without training wheels but it really helped that I could touch the ground.  I think the idea of an alternate teacher is a really good idea though. 

I have a feeling you're posting but how did your race go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Then drove to the land that our friends own, where they host an annual group-camp on memorial day weekend that they call kidpalooza. They have 40 acres about a half hour southwest of Taos; very dry, very scrubby, where they built a sort of fort big enough for them to sleep in and an outdoor kitchen, but there is no water, so everyone bring in 5 or so gallons and a ton of food, and we all pitch tents around the land and the kids all run around the woods for a few days and the grown-ups drink a lot and hang out

That sounds so fun.  We used to spend quite a bit of time in Bluff UT before we had kids and did the same thing except just with everyone and their dogs.  It was always super fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Plady, holy shmoly! It's good work! Like real said, don't let the book scare you into thinking gardening is more trouble than it really is...but at the same time, mosquito season and weeding coincide in WI and can result in terrifically weedy gardens. Last year, I know several people who just gave up. We were using hunter deet-based stuff, and mosquitos were biting where the sweat dripped down and cleared a way for them.

I don't want to jinx anything here but we have so many insect eating birds on our pond that we don't really have a mosquito problem.  I really hope you guys don't have bed bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

We ended up having a nice day yesterday after all, even though the biking plans fell through.  The weather is finally dry enough for us to try out our new fire pit so we lit a huge campfire in the back yard, invited over the neighbors and stayed up WAY too late roasting marsmallows and enjoying the fire pit.  Today, we're heading to the pool for the inaugural swim of the summer.

That sounds wonderful too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

I luxlove.gif the c25k part, because the running is enough, and intense enough that I get my fix with just 7 minutes, and the walk breaks keep my knee from getting too reactive.

NRR: cleaned most of the house today = vacuuming the whole thing, 5 loads of laundry washed and out away, unpacked and washed all the camping gear, etc. etc. A sad thing, on the subject of Dh's, is that I feel like I can now maybe sit down and read through this magazine because Ive *earned* it now that Ive been cleaning for 5 hours, like if I dont work hard enough around the house, I feel like a lazy house-wife, which is one reason Dh gets away with doing 2% of house-work

I've just been thinking that maybe I should go back to c25k too and see how it goes.  Hmmm, you've got me thinking.

And, yeah, I feel that way too, like I have to earn my downtime.  Like, right now I'm shirking because I'm not in the garden. crap.gif

So yeah, back to the garden (farm), we're making progress, I don't know if it's good or slow or what since I've never done this type of project before and we've still got more than half to go...  Oy.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#396 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 PM

jo~yikes.gif

Phew. What a day! Really, an almost perfect day to cap off a pretty darn good weekend.

Race report: Up at the crack of dawn (before, actually) to drive up to the park n' ride and catch the bus to the race start. I met real and my friend Amy from school there so we could all ride the bus together. They switched the start line around this year, so it was all a little unfamiliar, but we were there in plenty of time for two potty stops and bag check. Well, almost. Lisa missed her wave start, but that was not her fault, and I'll let her tell about it. orngtongue.gif The pre-race just flew by, and before I knew it, we were off. I felt totally unprepared, but what are ya gonna do? Run or get run over, right?! The start line move made it so that the first mile was uphill rather than downhill as in the past. To be honest, I didn't really notice it that much. I know I've waxed poetic about this race before, but seriously...I just love it. From Elvis and the Blues Brothers and the belly dancers to the houses with slipn'slides handing out doritos, beer, doughnuts, etc. Today, I especially enjoyed the guy around the 2 mile marker who was yelling "Way to go runners, only 500 miles to go!" orngbiggrin.gif

I had pretty low expectations for this race, given my recent lack of training and yesterday's ride. I was really just hoping for under an hour, but I figured I go out and just see how I felt. I really wanted to try to push myself if I felt like it was physically possible, and I wanted to challenge myself to run out of my comfort zone. It's really easy for me to go into a zone where I just go at an easy and comfortable pace, but I wanted to see what I could do if I actually got uncomfortable. Turns out, I actually CAN run out of my comfort zone. My first few miles were pretty consistent, around a 9:15 pace, which was far better than expected, but felt pretty decent. Once we hit the elevation peak on the course (around mile 4) and I let myself go on the downhill, I decided to just go for it and see what would happen. I figured the worst that would happen is that I would totally hit the wall and limp in, still within my "expected" time for the race. The last two miles HURT. Bad. But I'm pretty excited that I was able to run through it and ran sub-9 minute miles to finish up the race and negative split! My final time was 57:13, for a 9:13 pace...just 30 seconds off last year's PR! Kind of makes me wonder how well I could have done had I NOT ridden yesterday (although the ride was well worth it and I don't really regret it at all).

After the race (and retrieving my lungs from where I left them outside the stadium on the way in orngtongue.gif, it was time for FUN! Lisa, Amy, and I reconvened and met up with my friends Hillary and Ben for breakfast. Blueberry pancakes and bacon. YUM. After breakfast, everyone headed for home, but one of my favorite parts of the day is sticking around to watch the pro races and the memorial day tribute. I had a couple of friends that I was pretty sure were sticking around, and oddly enough, found them sitting right next to each other (they had never met before I showed up and was like...wait...how on earth are you guys sitting together when you don't even know each other? orngbiggrin.gif) So, that was pretty cool.

After the race, I booked it home (well, as fast as I could given the line for the bus and the fact that the driver completely missed the stop for the park-n-ride...how, I have no idea, since her only responsibility was to drive from the stadium to two park-n-rides duh.gif) to get DS and head out swimming. After some iphone research on the bus, I found a rec center on the other side of town that was open till 4:30 and had a zero gravity leisure pool with a slide and all that fun stuff. DS had a blast. He played HARD for the entire hour and a half we were there before closing. Dinner out with the birthday boy, home to open the rest of his presents, and that was it.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what the heck to take to orientation for lunch tomorrow since the nanny ate half of the leftovers I had planned to take. irked.gif I mean, it's my fault since I forgot to tell her that they were for my lunch, but I DID have them kind of hidden since I knew I might forget at 5 in the morning. Sigh. Can't wait to sit through 8 hours of HIPPA training, OSHA crap, bloodborne pathogens and all that fun stuff...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#397 of 418 Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 PM

1jooj--oh, i hope it's not bed bugs. Ugh.

Um, forgot the rest of my personals. Sorry, but it's going to be an all about me post.

I didn't actually miss my wave start, but it came close due to race volunteers on a power trip. I was jogging along, heading toward my wave (DB) and I'd caught up to the DC wave as they moved to the start line. I and a few others in the DB wave got to the rope and went to duck under when a volunteer stopped us. We showed him our bibs 'cause usually that's all you have to do to get up to your wave. He said no, please stay here. We were like "huh?" So we thought maybe it was because they were moving and didn't want people getting caught in the rope but then we tried to go and they told us to stay there and that it didn't matter. True, it's chip timed, but there were three minutes before we started and the rest of our wave was all of 20 feet in front of us so seriously, WTH? We asked a couple more times and a different volunteer said everyone needed to be in their wave by 7 am. "Official race rules." Um, no. I've read them and run in this race for 10 years and that's just not true. After about 30 seconds more, those of us who were in DB just ignored the volunteer's protests and ducked under the rope to join our wave.

I seriously don't know what that was about. I've never ever had a problem getting to my wave before.

That nonsense aside, the gun went and we were off. The first few miles were hard. My plan was just to hang in there as best I could and to not, under any circumstances whatsoever, stop at any point because I knew I'd start coughing and that would lead to my doom. My first mile split was 8:42, so I was pleased but somewhat doubtful that I could hold it there based on how I was breathing. Didn't matter, since my goal was to just keep moving forward and not think too much about it. I tried to draw energy from the music and the fact that I love this race. It was more or less uphill until mile 4, with a couple of short downhills, and it felt harder than usual this year. I'm not sure if it's because mile 1 was uphill or what, but I could see it in my splits (mile 2 - 8:56, mile 3 9:21, mile 4: 9:03).

After mile 4 there's a nice downhill and I finally started feeling good so I pushed the pace a bit. About that time I also realized that my hair band had fallen out because I could feel some loose hair swishing around back there. But, there was to be no stopping so I hoped it would stay at least partly braided so I didn't look like a running hippie. (My braid is down to my waist, and while hippies are celebrated in Boulder, my hair really annoys me when it's loose.) Mile 5 split: 8:39.

After mile 5, it's just a matter of running down to Folsom and then up the hill. I usually push a little harder here and tend to pass a lot of people but I just didn't have much more in me. By the time I was nearly at the top of the hill I was fighting a strong desire to puke or have a coughing fit or both, but once we crested the hill that was more or less under control and all I had to do was run through the stadium. Final split: 9:01 (for mile 6 and the .2 to end the race), or if you believe my Garmin, 8:52 for mile 6 and 8:15 for the rest.

Final time: 55:33, average pace 8:57. I'm really pleased to have a new PR and finally a sub-9:00 pace, and I'm really looking forward to blowing that one out of the water next year (I hope!).

After that, I fished out my inhaler because I could. not. stop. coughing. Once that was under control, I re-braided my hair and then cruised around the expo until tjsmama caught up with me. Breakfast was yummy and the company was awesome.
Dmitrizmom likes this.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#398 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 AM

Real and Gaye:   Fantastic races for both of you - wow!  thumb.gif Those speedy times!! That race sounds like so much fun. broc1.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#399 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 AM

Real & Gaye & ND - Way to go on your races!!! =)

Jo - Mosquitos have hatched here.  Luckily they didn't bother us while planting, but we can't hang out in our backyard these days because it's too wet and the mosquitos are crazy.  The ticks also seem bad.  I have had about 10 total - 3 stuck and it's not like I was rolling around in the grass or anything.  In bug talk, I hope no bed bugs!!!

Yesterday morning we spent cleaning our house to get ready for a showing (well our rental at least.. our landlord showed it to be sold twice yesterday).  That was one reason I pushed to move - the house is listed and we are on a month-to-month lease.  I was afraid of being REALLY pregnant and being kicked out.  Anyway, I hope we move and they sell so it's a win-win for both of us.  The rest of the day we spent driving north to the co-op, shopping, playing at the park, coming home to do paperwork for the mortgage, and all that fun stuff.  I think V and I crawled into bed at 11:45.  *Yawn*

I hope today to have enough energy for some yoga booty ballet and taking the kids to the library.  Butt.is.dragging.  Wish me luck. ;)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#400 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM

I feel like a terrible slacker Dingo lately.  I can't remember when I posted last.  I didn't run for 12 days.  But, I just fixed up the race list and results list, and I ran yesterday, so I'm here to report in!  Take a peak at the lists if you have time and let me know if i'm missing anything.

Realrellim - fantastic job on your race!  I wonder what was up with those volunteers?  Glad you got into your wave in the end.

Gaye - wow - you should have a long bike and less than stellar runs leading up to every race!  Glad you got some fun in with T, too.

Naughty Dingo - still waiting on your race report - but I know you did great from seeing your time on facebook

RR - After not running for 12 days, I ran a 5K yesterday.  This is our local Y's annual Memorial Day 5K, which I've only missed once in 10 years and that was the year I was 39 2/7 weeks with Caroline.  I've been bugging my OB back up to do a race for years.  He's a long time runner and still runs 5-6 days a week, usually 6 miles each time.  He has always put me off saying he'd race again after he turned 70 and could be in a new age group (he's pretty competitive.)  So, he turned 70 in January, and I've been reminding him since that he promised to race this year and he finally decided to do this race, so I had to go out and run it, too!  It turned out to be 90 degrees yesterday, and really humid, and this race has 2 big hills in it.  I was not confident at all, having been running so little and doing even less speed preparation.  I started with my friend and running partner, who has been doing even less runnning, but it turned out I was feeling pretty good and I left her a little after 1/2 mile.  The first down hill and then big uphill are mostly in the shade, which felt fantastic.  It was hot enough to be sweating just standing still, so it was really hot once we were moving.  I hit the first mile at 8:30 - which is pretty quick for me!   This is an out and back course, which I enjoy because it means that shortly after the 1 mile mark, I get to start seeing the leaders coming back, and then after the turn around, I can could see my running partner who was still looking strong despite having not really run in 3 weeks, and then my OB back up - who looked pretty hot, but running comfortably.  There is a second big hill at about 2.5 miles, and I passed a couple people on the hill, which always makes me feel good.  The last 1/2 mile, I was trying hard to catch my pastor who had been just ahead of me for most of the race.  I got within 2 steps at one point, but just couldn't hold on to him.  One of the women I passed on the hill, I recognized as a competitive runner in my age group.  She caught up to me towards the end as well, and ended up beating me by 2 steps.  As it turned out, I forgot that I've changed age groups - and she is still in the age group below me.  So actually, this was my masters running debut, which means I get to set all new PRs  in my new age group! So my new masters 5K PR is 27:39 - which actually might be almost the fastest 5K I've run in 2 years!  I was 2nd in my age group, and actually got a trophy which was fun.  My running partner, who is younger than me, was 3rd in her age group, and my OB back up finished strong and was first in the 70 and older age group!  We took a picture of the 3 of us - OB, FP, and labor and delivery nurse manager - with our trophies.  I think my OB back up might be hooked again - he was really tickled by that trophy.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I was most excited because I finally beat a lady who races all the local races that I am always struggling to catch.  She's 73!  but she looks phenomenal and runs like she's 30 years younger.  It's been 5 years or so since I've beaten her in a race.  Of course she told me afterward that she raced Saturday, so wasn't taking it easy today - but I'm claiming the victory anyway.

NRR - Wedding in 4 days!  My dress is finally done (as of 1:30 am today)  and Caroline's dress is completely finished done as well.  I just need to hem Catherine's dress and we'll be all set. 

#401 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

I have been MIA, but Jen!  Yes!  We have booked a lot of our summer already -silly, I know!- but this fall I will make it out there!!  I must! joy.gif

Beautiful pictures!  I am jealous of all the space! :)  Things are still pretty small here due to the weather and my lack of focus this spring.  I have easily killed 2/3 of what I planted and I am slightly happy about it.  I can't deal with it all this spring! I have cut back my hours at Target quite a bit (thank you, supervisor!) but I am still having trouble keeping up.  Ok, off the computer to make soap today! More later!

I have been running!  For reals!

#402 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Great races, Gaye, Real and DrJen!!!!! 

No time for more, but I did manage to do a 60 minute spin class this morning (which end up being 75 minutes since I arrived 15 minutes early)!

#403 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Weight intervals this a.m. for 75 minutes. Woke at 5:40, got lunch packed for ds who has one more week of school due to snow days this winter, did a load of dishes, packed dd2's supplies for swim lessons, made breakfast for everyone, got myself together and then woke dh at 7am so I could head to the gym. Good weights, I'm getting stronger!! F*** my hamstring though. Constantly bugging. Is this it forever!!?

Gaye and real - that sounds so fun and satisfying joy.gif You both pushed when you thought you couldn't or wouldn't broc1.gif

Jaygee - thinking of you. Glad for a good spin class!

More later... lots to do

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#404 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM

oh and Gaye, my friend was doing a tri in Austin this weekend and UPS lost his bike too!! He had to find one to borrow, but bike shops were out b/c the tri is such a big deal. Luckily he had a friend with friends. Nightmare!

#405 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM

doctorjen--Wow, a trophy?  I'll never be fast enough to earn a trophy.  Wait, what's the highest age group?  Maybe then.  Is there a 90+ group?  I'll win that trophy someday.  shine.gif

tjsmama and real--Nice racing!  Real, I'm impressed with you deciding to just push through and ignore the asthma.  Those times are incredible.

Mosquitos are crazy here, especially in our yard, but I'm having a surprising reaction to them.  I feel them bite me and am itchy, but the itch almost immediately fades.  Usually bites make me want to scratch all of my skin off, but as my skin has grown more sensitive to other things, is it possible to have become desensitized to mosquitos?  That would be awesome for this summer.

Yesterday the kids and I did go out hiking without DH.  I didn't even wake him up or tell him we were going; I just made trail mix and chose a path and went.  We drove six minutes to the start of a trail that leads to the highest point in our town.  Which isn't very high.  lol.gif  There were several interconnected loops in the woods, though, one that went to these scary lookout rocks with a sheer drop next to them, and another one that went past this glacial chasm.  We followed a couple of different paths and were out there for a couple of hours.  The best part for the kids was stopping and eating trail mix, but I consider it a victory just getting them out there, despite their motivation.

It turns out that our town of under 9000 people has about fifteen marked hiking trails through conservation land.  I believe the people in town are doing that snobby thing where now that THEY are in, they are fighting tooth and nail to make sure nobody ELSE builds new houses and moves in here.  So they turn all of the buildable land into conservation land and plunk hiking trails onto it.  It looks like we'll have lots of exploration to do this summer.

When the kids and I got home from hiking, I showered and then announced to DH that I was taking the rest of the afternoon off.  I went to a coffee shop and ordered a frozen drink and spent two and a half hours writing and reading, which put me in a much more pleasant mood to tackle the evening.

Today I got out and ran just over seven miles.  When I was half a mile away from being back home again, an old guy in a pickup truck pulled up beside me with his window rolled down.  "You have nice arm motions there," he critiques.  I thank him, as compliments on the way I look while running are few and very far between.  "Are you a long distance runner?" he asks.  I tell him that I'm working on the distance.  He replies: "I've run the Boston marathon six times."  I look at him and laugh, out of breath.  "Boston?!  I'm not that much of a distance runner yet."  He chuckled, waved, and drove away.  It made me smile the rest of the way home, about runners and connecting with someone and getting an unexpected compliment from a stranger. 

#406 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM

La4: I love your story of connecting with another runner. love.gif I bet it made his day, too.

And regarding your mosquito question, I think yes, it is possible to get desensitized to them. It has been my experience since moving here that I now also have practically no itch left after the initial bite. This has not worked for the no-see-ums, though, which still leave me itching like crazy for the first few months of summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
 is it possible to have become desensitized to mosquitos? 

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#407 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm loving reading about you bad-ass racing dingos.  Way to run fast, mamas!  

This day can be done any time now.  It started with getting C off to a 5 day school trip to the Olympic Peninsula while juggling the new routine of a babysitter for E on my clinic mornings.  Then off to the office, where we had a meeting with a client where we had to risk her out of her very wanted and fought for homebirth hopes.  Then in the afternoon, a first appointment with a transfer mom at 23 weeks, where we couldn't get heart tones.  She said something about the same thing happening at their last appointment in their old town, where the OB passed it off as too early......so we send her in for an u/s, only to find out the baby had passed 7 weeks ago.  bawling.gif  

To add insult to injury, I raced out of there to make it to hot yoga, to find out that the 5:30 class has been cancelled.  For good.  When I signed up for the unlimited classes ($25 a month, instead of $5 per class), there were 7 hot classes a week.  They are down now to 3, only one of which works with my schedule.  So I get on the stairmill and stew for a while, then go downstairs and tell them I am cancelling the unlimited hot yoga.  She misunderstands me and pulls out the paperwork to cancel my membership.........so I let her.  I had been thinking for a while about going back to the Y- activities for the kids, friendlier people, far cleaner, the indoor track for worst case scenario runs, the pool and swimming lessons.  Plus, DH signed up for a Biggest Loser type deal at work, and he had mentioned last night that he would be far more likely to work out at the Y (3 minutes from home) than the other gym (15 minutes, and away from the other places we go in town).  I'll believe it when I see it, but I want to give him the opportunity.  Plus the prize for the contest is a full home gym, and he has enough weight to lose that he totally could pull it off if he wanted to.  A girl can dream, right?

Now I just got a text that Ellie needs GF cupcakes for her soccer party tomorrow (gee, thanks for the heads up!), so I had to send DH to the store to get supplies.  What I really want to do is either collapse into bed, or attend a beautiful, cleansing birth that reminds me all is well with the world.  But instead, I'll bake.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#408 of 418 Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Oh, memiles. hug.gif What a sucky day. I hope tomorrow is a complete turnaround for you!

drjen~clap.gif Great race! Although I am cracking up just a little at you being a "masters" runner now...you're not old enough for that! And seriously? The wedding is this weekend?! When the heck did that happen?? Oh...can you add the Courage Classic Bike Tour to the race list for me? July 23-25. blowkiss.gif

One day of orientation down, way too many more to go. It wasn't awful, it just was long and boring. I give the HR trainer a lot of credit, because she's doing a pretty good job of keeping it as interesting as she can, but I was seriously struggling. I really just need a nap, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. In good news, my streak of taking good ID badge photos continued and is now at 4! orngtongue.gif

I think I need to lay down the law a little bit to the nanny in the morning. In a completely nice way, of course. She just hasn't been doing a great job of cleaning up around the house lately. I know that *I've* been so busy that I haven't been cleaning MY stuff up, but add DS's books and toys all over the place, and it just makes it that much worse. She was really good about it for a long time, but not as much lately. I'm at my limit, it needs to be cleaned up before she leaves for the day.

Did I mention that my quads hate me today? Ouch.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#409 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 AM

I dug up this article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18estrogen-t.html from remembering reading it last year which has got me greensad.gif and scared crap.gif On the up side, it totally validates my experience, and I asked dh to read it for his medical opinion but also, ehem, to validate my experience. Anyway, I cant say for sure but it fits me to a T, at least the past 6 weeks. I seriously suspect I could be starting perimenopause at 41, 'cause a chronic health condition and a chronic knee problem that prevents me from running away from all this isnt enough (cue the violins lol.gif) For anyone interested in an insightful article on "the change" , this journalist is one I really like; she's thorough and well read and I like her voice. Plus she's from my alma mater and was one of my irl bff's advisors in grad school winky.gif

So I'm trying to find a doctor; a PCP I guess. Ive never had one, and Im not really sure who I should see. Dr. Jen? An FP? An Endocrinologist? A Gyno? Seems like a lot of the endo's Ive read about do a lot of diabetes....

Yes I'm posting here at 5:30 a.m. because after lying in bed for half an hour I figured I might as well tackle some of my list.

#1: Dingoes lol.gif
#2: Submit my resume & cover letter through email, which I was directed to do yesterday after finally finding the school I'm applying to, which is tucked behind another building, that if you dont see, ehem, and miss the turn off, you get stuck on a busy road that takes you over the river to the far other side of town, thank you very much. In other words, the invisible school is the last exit to brooklyn.
#3: Fill out purchase agreement for a house that I drove by yesterday, took dh driving by and scouting (because he figured out that it is empty), and finally saw with a realtor yesterday afternoon, because as we were leaving said house another woman drove by/around it slowly and wrote something down and got on her cell as she parked across the street (yes I spied on her as I got in my car). We're bidding without representation and we have competition fencing.gif Gotta get on it

Dr. Jen - clap.gif that you rallied to do the race with that other doc and you al got medals. So cool

RR: rest day here. Question: Friday is a weights day, and both dd's are here. I can take dd2 to child care but not dd1 (aged out). What do I do with her? Make her bring a book and sit for 75 minutes in the weight room with me? We have other plans that day so I cant really take her to a friends at 8:30 a.m. for 2 hours ...

#410 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

memiles ~ what a day!  The Y sounds like a better option anyway.  On a good note though, your FB thread about naked men at births was killin' me this morning twins.gif

Lala ~ all those hiking trails sound awesome!  Enjoy your exploring this summer treehugger.gif

Gaye ~ congrats on making your fundraising goal!!!  broc1.gifcarrot.gif

sparkle ~ is there a lobby or somewhere she can sit to read?  Sometimes my DS will bring a book or his iPod and just sit in the lobby while I workout.  I check on him occasionally, but he's fine.  Does your gym not have a room for older kids?  Our new Y has a "Rec Room" for ages 7-14 with a climbing wall, computer games and Wii/Kinect.  That menopause article is really interesting.  Honestly, 41 isn't too early.  Do you know when your Mom started?  I asked mine but she was on HRT for 15 years and has no clue eyesroll.gif.

RR ~ I started my morning run plan this morning with 30 minutes at 6:00am orngbiggrin.gif.  I hope to do this Monday-Thursday mornings through the summer to avoid the heat and humidity.  Plus, I'm a morning person, so getting up at 6:00 when DH gets up for work just makes sense.  I'm also making it an "all 3 sports" day with a swim after school drop off, and a group ride tonight.  I'm getting back on my wagon.... dammit!  Today is the kid's last day of school!  They go for 2 hours and then we're having a picnic and heading to the pool with the neighbors to celebrate blueman.gif.

P.S. Can you tell that Kay was picking my emoticons for me this morning?

#411 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Jaygee - broc1.gif on the 30 minutes. Excellent way to get moving! I forgot about that when you were down; I start with small goals (like, "I'll just ride for 20 minutes") when I'm feeling in a funk, and the 20 usually turns into more .... or not, and then at least I did 20 and feel good about that.
Thanks for the note. It's not that it's horribly early, especially because I have such a wonky menstrual history that it actually makes a lot of sense, it's that it's too early for ME. I JUST started having a regular period after I weaned dd2 2 years ago, and I mean for the first time in my life. Until then it had been random and VERY infrequent. I have really been enjoying the estrogen; the energy and mood lift and libido!! Now that I have a regular cycle I see what Ive been missing all those years (I thought it was just cramps and bleeding lol.gif) HRT in some form is a very real possibility, and I am scared of the unknowns. As for my mom, I try to avoid talking to her as much as possible. There is no way in he** I'd talk to her about this.
The gym does have an older kids room but there is never anyone in it, so she would be hanging out by herself, which i like less than her just sitting near me with her book...

#412 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

You're so right about getting out there and getting moving, sparkle.  Thank you.

I just bit the bullet and registered for the St. Louis Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon on October 23.  I've got some training to do!!!!

#413 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM

I had a crazy morning. You know the kind: get dd1 off to school. forget to send note reminding teacher to have her stay for chess club. Have a nice breakfast with dh, wake dd2, get dd2 to daycare. Drive dh to airport. Off to kohls to shop for my niece's bday gift (dh's brother's daughter). She's a pia to shop for and now 7, but reads like a 5 yr old and has every toy imaginable. I had a good idea, asked BIL about it and got zero response. <removed rant>.

Also need to buy a dress to wear to a wedding, but it turns out that the problem is that most dresses that are "in" are the style that looks bad on me -- makes me look pregnant and always has. Problem #2 is that I really just want to weigh about 10 lbs less around my midsection. So I buy a 15 dollar dress at Kohl's and commence shopping for sandals I'll wear again. Decide to punt and just wear something I already own.

Drive to Y. Realize I have no running bra, no headphones and nothing to read. Get on treadmill anyway,  Don't think, just run. decide I'm doing 3 miles, 30 minutes or 300 calories, whichever comes first. 3 miles is what I did. I hate running on the treadmill and really hate it when the older gentleman comes in wearing aftershave. ish. But I sure hope when I'm 82 I'm walking along on the treadmill, KWIM? Forgot towel. borrow towel, get a good look at my legs in the mirror there. Decide to run more often. Will I look better in the dress if I run the next 11 days until I go to the wedding?

Go to pick up eggs (CSA farm eggs we pick up every wednesday). Sidetracked by 4 different road closures. Get eggs. Drop off neighbor's eggs + mine at home. Get back in car.

Stop at trail shop. But myself a new purse (old one hit the dust long ago) + a skirt to wear to the wedding that I like better. Of course it was more money. Now it is 1:15 and I'm sitting here writing this to you. I have a meeting in an hour, need to refocus my brain.....

Back to running related:

a. I'm still considering the Columbus half

b. did anyone watch the biggest loser? I'm not obese, but I am 20 lbs above where I was when I had my kids. (ok I am 20+ lbs above where I was when I got pg with Erin, but that's not necessarily a good weight). I weighed myself monday while watching the show and I'm 165lbs. I want to go back to school this fall 150 lbs. Reasonable? For before Labor Day weekend?

Sparkle: You don't have a pcp? I suppose if you have a doc in the house stuff like strep throat doesn't necessarily get in the way for you. Myself, I like a pcp. But that said, my own pcp is a guy and I'd prefer if I had someone who was a nurse practitioner/midwife. But it is handy to have someone who knows the whole family.

Nic: You must be near the end of the school year. How's the packing going?

June thread anyone?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#414 of 418 Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
bec

Speaking of just doing it and getting moving!  I got to the pool last night with a friend who is going to be doing her first triathlon in a few weeks and really struggling with the swim (she can't really do a full lap free style).  She needed some confidence, so another friend and I suggested that she simply try to keep herself moving in the water for 30 minutes, regardless of stroke or form.  I went with her to swim laps while she did her thing.  Using mostly side and back stroke, she was able to propel herself for 30 minutes, and, while she lost count, I'm sure she was going for more than the goal of 600 yards.  I swam about 1200 yards, so am happy with that.  I was so proud of my friend, though.  I thought it a real victory for her!

Today, I spent time on the new elliptical at the gym.  Depending on your gait, it can be an elliptical or a stair stepper.  I burned over 400 calories in 35 minutes.  This evening is tri class.  It's the last class of the session, and we are having a smoothie party.  I'm sure there will be some sort of run/bike thing as well, but not sure what.  I'm sort of disillusioned with this tri class.  The teachers have had some weird and unnecessarily tough workouts that have had the effect of really demoralizing some of the newer, less experienced athletes (like swimming sprint pyramids, and long bike/run bricks in 40 degree rain), and they have not been as inclusive to some folks as they should be!  It's really been kind of upsetting.  Anyway, I don't know if I will continue with the class or not.  I feel like there are enough of us that we could informally train on our own together.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#415 of 418 Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Jen and Real and Gaye, great RR! Very fun to read, all of them! smile.gif

Sparkle, great luck with the house. Peace.gif (I know that's the peace guy, but it looks to me like he has his fingers crossed for you.)

Memiles, what a day. I'm sorry. hug2.gif

Around here - yesterday was the last day of school for my kids, so I'm easing into the summer. I have more work to do than I'd like, but am reluctant to revert to my usual strategy of getting up at 5 every day to get stuff done. It turns out my skin looks so much better when I get enough sleep - who'd have thought? blush.gif I'm glad to have some time to garden and bike, too, although the running isn't going so well. I did get in 20m on my bike yesterday, and it was a beautiful day, so I'm happy to have that as backup. Read my course evals from last semester yesterday, and they were really good - I was pleased. Only one person really hated me, and only one person (in another class) complained because I "attacked" her for "stating her opinion" in class - I can tell from context who it was, and her opinion was that if you're drunk and get raped it's your fault. So I'd be fairly remiss as an adult and a decent human being not to be very, very clear that I think she is utterly mistaken about that. I did the right thing, even if I offended her. Overall the evals were quite positive and they made me feel good about my teaching.

Dh has made no progress on the job front and has more or less stopped making it in to work on time. He's done in 8 days, so apparently figures it doesn't matter. <sigh>

Off to weed and mulch the veggie garden!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#416 of 418 Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Serial posting to add: I made homemade pasta tonight, having been inspired by Geo, and it was fabulous. OMG. Plus got so much done and had such a busy day that I am looking forward to work tomorrow to get a break! orngtongue.gif

#417 of 418 Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

pst we're all over on the june thread.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#418 of 418 Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM

<laughing really hard> Man, I'm an idiot!

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Baby Jogger

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page