Running Around the Maypole ~ the May Dingo Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo View Post

Hope all is well and YEAH!!!!! It's Friday Baybeeee!!!!! Is anyone else whooping and celebrating like I am LOL?

Do you mean like this?

jumpers.gif

Or perhaps like this?

broc1.gif

Or even

carrot.gif

YES Baby, it is Friday!

and no jury duty today. I have another week of the term of service, but it isn't looking likely. Fortunately I made it through the totally crazy part (jury duty + two interviews for which I'm the interviewer + finals week). And my grades are done. And I'm more or less mentally taking the weekend off.

Monday, well Monday I begin writing a big grant proposal. My first big one. I'm the PI for our campus. Its not due until September, but I want it mentally "off my desk" before I leave for my family vacation in July. August has limited mental space and it essentially needs to be to the campus person who stamps it on September 1.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM
bec

ND - So, what DO you do to make the most out of your recovery days?  I've always either just rested or maybe gone for a walk.  Also, as far as drinks, Nic (my awesome secret sprinter) sent me these NUUN tablets.  I have been really loving them, and used them when running the half a few weeks ago.  They are sugar free, and I think kosher!winky.gif  They also only have 3 calories per 8oz.

Jen - Good luck with the house!

Nic - Just take it easy for a little bit and give yourself time to recover.  I know you are moving about, but think of it this way, you had a procedure to correct something that has been impacting your body, hormones and emotions for a long time.  That is going to need some time to recover from.  Be gentle with yourself! 

I'm going to get into the pool in a little bit.  I'm tired and a bit sore from yesterday's class and from this week's activity.  But in a totally good way!  It's going to be a busy weekend filled with the kids' dance dress rehearsal and recital, so I doubt I will get anything focused in, so those will serve as rest days.

NRR: I'm still having problems with my Cuss.gifwasher!  I did a load and found that it had chewed a hole in my Indy Mini race shirt!  I'm totally bummed.  I really liked that shirt, and it feels like such a loss that it got wrecked!  I worked really hard for that shirt!greensad.gif  Anyway, DH is on the phone raising hell about it, not that the shirt can be replaced.  Maybe I'll send them an email and see if I can buy a new one!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#243 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Bec, that sucks with your shirt!

Jen, I so hope that you guys get the home of your dreams.

Jo, I just saw on FB that you posted, 46 degrees Celsius! Yikes, that's just way hotter than anything I've ever experienced. Holy cow. I hope that everything is smooth so far - what an amazing adventure!

Nick, so glad that your procedure went well, and I hope this means no more problems for you. Speedy recovery.

I am really behind, and my internet is glacially slow today, so I'll keep it brief...

My first tri is on Sunday yikes2.gif It's just a sprint, but man am I all keyed up about it! I feel physically able to do it, and actually, my knee has been great with all the biking. But still, just nerves as far as everything going well that day, organizing the whole transition thing, hopefully not having any major bike problems ...

One of the coaches had a suggestion to make more than one goal for the race, and to formulate them in a positive way (i.e. "I want to feel strong through the swim" rather than "please let me not drown"). So here are my goals for Sunday:

Swim steady

Work hard and stay safe on the bike

Stay calm (this is mostly for the transition)

Finish smiling

Gaye! You are doing a tri this weekend, too, right?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#244 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

One of the coaches had a suggestion to make more than one goal for the race, and to formulate them in a positive way (i.e. "I want to feel strong through the swim" rather than "please let me not drown"). So here are my goals for Sunday:

Swim steady

Work hard and stay safe on the bike

Stay calm (this is mostly for the transition)

Finish smiling

Gaye! You are doing a tri this weekend, too, right?

I LOVE this!!!!  You're going to have a great tri, Mel!  I was supposed to race a tri this weekend too, but never signed up (see previous post about not pulling the trigger in time....) so no race for me this weekend.  Off to run.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#245 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Mel38 - I am one of those treasure mapping people, and one of the instructions is to write what you want in the affirmative, so rather than "no fear" you'd say "faith" or "confidence". I have four words that frame my map this year; Grace, Surrender, Clarity, Balance. Your list reminded me of that;

Steady
Strong and Safe
Calm
Smiling

orngbiggrin.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#246 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
bec

I love that! 

Steady

Strong and Safe

Calm

Smiling

I'm going to remember that!  A short swim with DH.  I was working with him on finding a way to improve his form so he can slow down enough to have a little endurance.  It's so hard to be at that point.  I remember very clearly that frustration of not being able to slow down in the water!

#247 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 AM

I like that too.

Ok, so I lose my laptop when I leave my job. I need to have my own laptop, for a variety of reasons. I could:

1) Buy a Macbook through the 'education' store before I stop working (discount)

2) Buy a refurbished Macbook through apple (better discount, not as new machine)

3) Buy a PC laptop (cheaper, but i.m.o. not as good)

Any input?

(I have trouble spending money, by the way...this is going to be a painful purchase for me. But a  necessary one. and I still haven't got my iPhone or my nano or my garmin that I was promised...sigh)

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#248 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What do you use the laptop for?

#249 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Internet, writing, some statistical work, research (must multiask seamlessly between sites like lexus etc.), chat, skype (do overseas interviews sometimes) etc. No gaming.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#250 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Do you need a laptop or can you use a desktop?

Love my macbook pro.  IMO I wouldn't buy a used machine and then move. (Or are you buying online?)

I do online teaching, skype, MDC, facebook, etc. Plus I very occasionally do some mapping-related stuff on it. Works like a champ for those tasks.

#251 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Well I'd buy direct from Apple, if refurbished, either online or in store but they have a warranty everywhere. I'd rather have a  laptop so I can move about with it.

#252 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Macbook Pro if it must be a macbook.   iMac if desktop is a solution.

I looked at the refurbished ones and decided it was a bad deal.

#253 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Why a bad deal? And which Macbook? I wish I understood more about all the various options (mhz, RAM, etc.) and what is worthwhile and what is not necessary.

#254 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Just in terms of the age of the computers compared to the relative savings.  I figure 3 years per laptop.  What I was finding was 2 year old machines for less than 1/3 off the cost.

I tend to buy the bottom end on the computers on all but the speed  - I don't use intensive applications, but I do run some calculations where speed starts to show.

#255 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I tend to buy the bottom end on the computers on all but the speed  - I don't use intensive applications, but I do run some calculations where speed starts to show.

Yes, this. And without calculations IMO speed makes a difference in fun stuff like video manipulation sometimes.

#256 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Dingoes,

Nic, I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac desktop. I like them both a lot but if I had to go for one I'd go for the MacBook. Hope you're feeling better. I did see that you'd run today!

Penelope, I am sorry about DH's job. I really feel your pain in many ways as my DH so often seems to be a wisp away of handing in his notice. Hope the grading is all but finished.

Mel, I had no idea you were doing your tri this weekend! You'll have a blast, and I love your plan. I've only done one tri but I smiled all the way around. It was so much fun.

Jennie, we're in the process of buying/selling (though it's all dependent on whether the town buys our house... there's a town referendum on it in a few weeks...) and I know it's so much fun but it's also incredibly exhausting. Hope you're doing well.

ND - I've been following your runs on DM and FB. You're getting sooooo fast, mama!

Thanks for all the feedback re: fertility. I am definitely training more but I don't know that my body fat is that low... I am still nursing a lot though DS has really cut down on night feedings. I'm trying to work on nutrition, which is not the best as I've been living off of bars and sandwiches because life has been so nuts. I did start peeing on OPKs and I've yet to 'surge'. I'm feeling pretty sad about it.

Anyone have any thoughts on daycare situations? Our nanny is quitting in September (marrying and moving away). She's been great but now wer'e wondering what to do: to get another nanny or to think about sending DS to preschool/daycare. He'll be 27 months when our nanny leaves. We're very undecided about it. he's pretty reserved in some ways but he does enjoy being around others. I just don't know whether he's ready to be in a bigger setting... I'd really love to hear others' thoughts.

Forward motion: 8 mile run this morning. I recently started seeing a PT who is having me completely change my running form. Honestly it's KILLING my calves and this run was pretty awful. I have been getting to the pool quite a bit, though, and I *think* that things might be improving... just a little :0)

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#257 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

(I have trouble spending money, by the way...this is going to be a painful purchase for me. But a  necessary one. and I still haven't got my iPhone or my nano or my garmin that I was promised...sigh)

Honey? Spend the money. Damn. You don't always have to come last. </stern voice>

FM: I biked today - took the kids to school on their bikes, came home, went on my bike to get their Jimmy John's lunch (it's their field day), biked it to school, biked home after picnic-ing, and thought ... man, I'm picking them up in the car because it's raining. lol.gif So we had a nice time, and I'm getting some grading done, and went with ds to a lovely graduation open house today (only three more of those tomorrow!) A fellow guest said she's been watching him and was so impressed by his confidence and presence and behavior. heartbeat.gif He's 7 and usually outshined by and engaged in rowdiness with my 10yo, so it was really nice to have him solo. Plus he ate his weight in food which was kind of funny to watch. And my awesome colleague tuned up ds's bike a bit while we were both at the party, and my other awesome colleague said today he's looking forward to sitting next to me at commencement for years to come and I'd better not go anywhere. (We're seated according to how long we've been at the school and degrees we hold, so he should be right that we're going to be seated next to each other for the forseeable future.)

Dh and I have been working opposite evenings, more or less - he had two late nights this week and I'll have a long/late day tomorrow so we haven't talked much. I did talk to my parents last night and spent a lot of time crying. greensad.gif I am really, really tired. And crying every day because I feel so angry and so stupid and so helpless, even though things are probably a little better than that. It sucks to not be much with the running as that's such a stress reliever, although biking is decent. PT is going pretty well although it turns out to be an insurance wrangle of sorts.

<sigh> Thanks for the support, y'all.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#258 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
bec

Mamas, where did my brain go?  I can't find Abby's dance costume!  Her dress rehearsal is tomorrow, and the recital is Sunday.  I don't know where it is?  I have torn my house and town apart!  I have no idea where it is!  I am in such a panic about this.  It is definitely not in the house.  It's not at the place where we had the dance pictures a week ago.  It's not at the gym (where we were at before her last class).  I don't know if it is at the studio because they were locked up tight when I got over to it.  I have emails and phone calls into her dance teacher, and am hoping that someone picked it up and is planning on bringing it tomorrow, but I don't know what the heck I'm going to do if this doesn't happen!  ARGH!!!!

#259 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
bec

Ok, so much calmer now.  I found the fricking thing.  I snuck in to the kids' room around 10:30 and tore their bedding apart for about the 9th time, and it just fell out.  How did I miss that the first 8 times I went through their bed?!  Ahhhh, so relieved!

#260 of 418 Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Woohoo, Friday!!! And the Victoria long weekend. And Empire days in the village, with market days and geeky parades and maypole dancing!!! And sunshine for the third day in a row!

We've finally made a master plan for our garden and started executing it this week. Our front yard looks beautiful, and the backyard is on it's way to productive food growing instead of floral sanctuary that the previous owners landscaped. They were childless and spent $$$ on landscape design that it totally not conducive to food growing or child playing. It took us a year to get up the nerve to do the massive changes that needed to happen to meet our needs and desires, but I'm so happy about it. I also have a summer's worth of projects to work on :)

nic- I have two MacBook Pros, the old one is 5 years and I still use it daily for work and the new one is lovely. I also go for the best speed I can afford buying a new one, because long-term I get much more use. Treat yourself!

bec- Glad you found the costume.

Penelope- Thinking of you. Hang in there!

mel- Have an awesome tri! When I did my first tri, there was a road marshall near the end with an enormous sign that said "There is no tri, only do". It's often been a mantra on my longer runs.

RR- Bootcamp was cancelled this evening because of empire days. Saw the chiro again yesterday, and have decided that I'm not thrilled. My pelvis feels good, and she thinks that I'm ready to try some run/walk (on the agenda for tomorrow, I hope). But she doesn't offer much in the way of explanation for my issues, or any suggestions for prevention/strengthening, etc. Hips and pelvis feel good, so it's a start, but I'm not really satisfied with the answer to keep seeing her regularly to stay that way.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#261 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 AM

Hi Mamas!

Glad you found it, Bec....I have done things like that (i.e. my thumb drive last week) and it drives me BONKERS. Ugh.

Penelope, hug2.gif

I went for a run yesterday!!! It was slllooooww, but I did 5 miles and felt pretty good. And this morning I finally feel like....ahem....my system is working properly. So if I can find a sitter I'm going for another one today (dh is out of town this weekend).

I am starting to get really excited about this move. Amherst is a really neat town, with a laid back university town vibe but also nice amenities (I get TRADER JOES BACK!!!! WOOT!!!). There are a few local farms where I can go to get fresh milk (i.e....raw milk is not illegal!), and the local Jewish community goes in together periodically to purchase, shecht (kosher slaughter) a cow so we can get fresh, local, grass-fed/organic, humanely raised etc. beef. I have not had beef in a very long time because we simply won't eat it if it doesn't meet those requirements so that is exciting. (Sorry to the vegetarians).  Same with chickens (although I can get kosher, humanely raised/free range, organic chicken at whole foods -- it's expensive but we eat it maybe once a week so it works out ok).

I love a town where they have that kind of stuff, and also have a big TJ Maxx and Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few miles down the road. I wish I wasn't so crassly commercial sometimes but sometimes you do need towels and whatnot and it is nice to be able to use those coupons. lol.gif

Found a house i LOVE LOVE LOVE online (rental)...the only problem is it's 4 miles from our synagogue (to which we walk). That's a bit of a drag. So we're going up in a few weeks to check things out and I guess I'll see if it can be managed. Because seriously? It's my dreamhouse. And it's an (affordable) rental. Trying not to get too emotionally involved here...

So -- on my list:

Finish school year without killing students, myself, or screaming my family into oblivion

Clean out this house

List furniture for sale

Take mighty bags of crap to Goodwill

Return all borrowed/stored/etc. items to random friends

Go to 16 or 18 doctors' appointments for me/kids, remember to take all paperwork away with me (HAHAHAHA)

Organize/buy/send to mom's house/figure out what needs to be purchased for dd1 for sleepaway camp

Pack what we need for the summer and set aside

Pack up as much stuff as possible to avoid dh 'random throw in box never to be seen again' packing

Take auto train to NJ on June 14

Go with dh to Mass. June 16/17 (leave kids with mom and dad!!!)

Register kids at new school, get paperwork from old school, etc.

Take dd1 to sleepaway camp!

Have nice summer in NJ while planning move and looking online for furniture we won't agree on

Move in August

Find a job?

Oh yeah...RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN

ROTFLMAO.gif

That might be most of it.

#262 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 07:04 AM

Penelope - what you are going through IS so hard. I'm so sorry your having to go through this. You dont sound crazy or wimpy or anything to me, you sound like someone with a huge challenge who is adapting to it. Be kind to yourself, in whatever way you can

Mel38 - broc1.gif Go Girl!!!!

Steady

Strong and Safe

Calm

Smiling

NRR:
Snort, drip. I pulled a Geo last night and got 10 hours. I was so exhausted from this stupid cold. Turned out (email mid-morning) that dd1's school was having a carnival yesterday afternoon which Dh could not attend because, wait for it, he was going with a friend to help him bottle the beer friend brewed at a pub for his birthday present from his dw. So while Dh was drinking beer for three hours, I was trudging exhausted around a f******ng carnival, trying to keep track of 3 kids in a crowd. Love that! And then dh got home at 7 instead of 6 (so 4 hours) and I got in bed and barred entry with my seething gaze, and then fell asleep at 8:30. Nothing for me today, hopefully tomorrow.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#263 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 07:35 AM

I love my new mantra!! Thanks guys! I am printing it on some index cards for my transition area. smile.gif

Bec: Whew!!!

Nick, I second (third, fourth...) the fastest machine you can get, and MacBook Pro over the regular. How did I miss that you are moving to Amherst!?!?!? Wow, that is fan-dang-tastic! It just sounds like a fabulous community with so much to offer, and despite the winter thing, it won't be hard to say goodbye to running in 100% humidity.

Mel: Yay for getting your garden into the shape that suits your family! Good luck with your run/walk today and let us know how it feels.

Penelope hug2.gif Crying can be so good sometimes when it all gets to feel like too much. Sorry that things are so hard right now.

Zub: I can't even contribute anything meaningful to the fertility stuff - I was kind of clueless for most of my adult life about it, but did try the OP sticks, too, which just helped my peace of mind. I hope that you do start ovulating, though, so that at least that can be checked off the list.

On the childcare thing - of course, this is only my limited experience - I found that the group setting seemed to be better for my son after around 3 years. He was late talking, very quiet kid, not outgoing in the least, and I just felt better with him at home until he matured a little bit. We found a very small preschool for him when he was 3.5, and I think that was the time when he finally seemed interested in playing with other kids (other than friends/siblings). My middle daughter, on the other hand, was great in a group setting at around 2, and I never felt like she would have been better off at home in a single child setting. What kind of preschools do you have there? Can you plan a tour and just get a feeling for whether it might work for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
So while Dh was drinking beer for three hours, I was trudging exhausted around a f******ng carnival, trying to keep track of 3 kids in a crowd.

disappointed.gif 

But on that note, I am at home ... get this.... by myself while DH takes the kids to a birthday party and an awards banquet. By himself. With all three kids.

This might be a sign of the impending rapture.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#264 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Steady
Strong and Safe
Calm
Smiling

orngbiggrin.gif

Dingo Shirt 2011?  2012?  I forget what year we're on.

Oh, just in case this is The Last Day - I love you all, you've improved my life in real tangible ways for 5 years now and I thank you all!  grouphug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

Honey? Spend the money. Damn. You don't always have to come last. </stern voice>

Dh and I have been working opposite evenings, more or less - he had two late nights this week and I'll have a long/late day tomorrow so we haven't talked much. I did talk to my parents last night and spent a lot of time crying. greensad.gif I am really, really tired. And crying every day because I feel so angry and so stupid and so helpless, even though things are probably a little better than that. It sucks to not be much with the running as that's such a stress reliever, although biking is decent. PT is going pretty well although it turns out to be an insurance wrangle of sorts.

<sigh> Thanks for the support, y'all.

Nic?  You taking note of that?  Go get your toys.  You know a man wouldn't hesitate.

Penelope - I wish we could swoop in in a Dingo Storm and open a can of woop ass on that man of yours.  I'm sure he's got a POV too but damn, it makes me nuts to know how bad you're feeling and how much weight he's letting you carry.  I'm sending lots of love and prayers for strength and calm and joy to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

But on that note, I am at home ... get this.... by myself while DH takes the kids to a birthday party and an awards banquet. By himself. With all three kids.

This might be a sign of the impending rapture.

Love it!   

What time is that Rapture scheduled for?  Do we know?  Or do we just know it when we see it?

RR; None.  US finally scheduled for Thursday.  Just when I was rethinking it and telling myself it's probably just piriformis weakness/tension I started spotting - this only 2 days after nearly two weeks of AF hanging around.  So, whatever, I'll go and have a look. 

Two days ago I noticed a big nasty lump in my cat's side.  Took him in to vet who said it could either be a lump from being bitten by one of our other animals or (probably) a fibroid sarcoma.  She also found a new heart murmur.  Which, ND correct me if I'm wrong, means that knocking out him as they must to do a biopsy is not without significant risk.  So, upshot seems to be that if it's serious he's just ticked into the last of his cat lives.  Wah.  He's my favorite pet ever.  He's just always been my cat, you know?  And he's not really that old, only 11.  Wah.

Okay, time to get everyone dressed and out the door. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#265 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM

So...you all still there? winky.gif

Nick, I am happy to have my MacBook Pro, again with the portability. I got a previous gen Pro when Best Buy got the new models and had a few old models left, so I got mine cheaper. I don't use it for much these days, but hope to do some video editing with iMovie.

On misplacing...ugh. I am trying to keep track of too many things right now, and once in a while I just have to tell everyone to slow down and shut up, so I can catch up without just tossing cr@p into my bags. Kind of works along the lines of the mantra--doing less is OK if I can do it better that way, you know?

Sparkle, I hope you're soon feeling fab. And that you can also soon have some out alone with a friend time.

Desert safari was fun! Dd barfed her guts out twice during the ride, and I screamed my head off, but it was fun. And even dd wasn't too complain-y, though I think that may have just been her illness taking over. We spent most of today resting in bed, and left at 3PM to a) get out of housekeeping's way; b) find a meal; and c) see the Dubai Mall (Yes, third mall in a week. Yes, I am aware of how weird that is.). I wanted to stay for the dancing fountains at night, but dh is a giant baby so we're home now. But when dd fainted (!), it finally got dh to understand how ill we are from the flight, and we stopped at a pharmacy where a nice doctor helped us out with some heavy duty meds for my girl. Then we took them to the aquarium and underwater zoo, and walked at least an extra 3-4 miles because my dh has no sense of direction, and tends to walk fast without looking at anything. When he gave up and let ds and me do the navigating, we were back at the car park where we'd arrived in no time. Sigh.

So, at least some FM thanks to all the extra mall walking looking for the kid cart return (because dd couldn't walk) and then the correct car park exit...and a little swimming at the hotel pool this morning. My swimsuit solution, btw? Perfect. In fact, I have been wearing my Skirt running dresses and capri running tights under my abayas every day I can. They are cool, comfortable, and chafe-preventive. And I can just whip off my abaya and jump into the waves if I happen to be down at Jumeira Beach.

Did I mention the fun with the consulate from dh's home country? Yeah...our marriage took place there, so they need to legally attest our marriage contract. And when dh walked into their office to request that they do it, they basically refused him service because he has since changed his citizenship. So, anyone wonder why he didn't feel bad changing his citizenship? Yeah...so anyway, it looks like we may have to do some kind of Emirati marriage as a workaround. Exciting, no? Maybe we should have a party this time? Or at least a honeymoon? I mean, as long as we're within short flying distances to so many places...anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Dear friend of mine will be in Dubai this week, and I can't wait (!!!) to see her.

#266 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Well, hello there. I feel way behind, having not made it on to the internets yesterday, at all. My final went fine. I think I missed four questions, so I should have easily gotten my A. And that's one more class down and that much closer to graduation! We then headed out to celebrate. It was about 9:30 am. I got home at 10 pm. Yikes. I may have consumed more alcohol than I have at any time in recent (or even distant, for that matter) memory. Wow. I am too old for that much drinking. I at least had the forethought to stop drinking around 5 pm so I could eventually get sobered up to get back to my car and drive myself home. Although, let's be honest, my stomach was pretty much DONE at that point anyway. It was definitely a fun time, but next time...much less alcohol. bag.gif

And, in other news, my triathlon tomorrow is no longer a triathlon, thanks to run-off from the major rain we've had this week boosting the e.coli levels up over acceptable limits. At least I won't be freezing to death in 58 degree water, but now it's a duathlon and I have to run twice instead. Not super excited about that. Not to mention that I lost my carpool since the only reason she was doing this tri was to test out her new full-sleeve wetsuit in preparation for doing IM CdA next month. Since she can't swim, she's going to go do a century ride in Ft Collins tomorrow instead. Which she kind of tried to talk me into, but I can't afford to both lose the registration fee I already paid for this race and sign up for another event. Guess I'm on my own.

Going to attempt a run with a friend in a couple of hours. I'm not sure how it will go, hungover as I am, but I feel like I need to attempt it. I have an oddly sore left glute for some reason, which I don't really remember doing anything to, so I guess we'll see how that feels. redface.gif

Mel~Good luck tomorrow! You're going to do great, I know! Can't wait to hear all about your first tri!!!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#267 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Hello!

Nic, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.  It looks like a heck of a list you've got going there!

Jo, I'm glad you got some meds for your DD.  I've never flown a really long distance, but I've heard it can wipe you out in so many ways.  I'm so excited to read about all of the fun new things you're doing!

Gaye, hooray for doing well on exams!  And for drinking heavily!  I've never been much of a drinker; I'm too much of a control freak.  It sounds like it was a fun time, though.

All is well here.  Today there was this big fundraising event at the ice-cream place nearby.  Well, they started with just ice cream but now have batting cages, two mini-golf courses, bumper boats, pony rides, exotic animals, and a tethered hot air balloon.  They donated a bunch of resources and time and for $25 a person we were able to have a full day of grill food, ice cream sundae bar, and all the mini-golf, bumper boats, batting cages, and driving range time we wanted.  There was also face painting, balloon animals, live bands, and a bunch of raffles.  DH originally thought he was going to duck out to watch the hockey game, but then last night said he'd go once he decided it wasn't worth incurring my wrath.  FIREdevil.gif  He woke up this morning feeling SOOOO sick.  "I think I'm getting a really bad cold; I feel terrible....."  Uh, no dear.  You have allergies.  See all that stuff floating around in the air?  Do you hear me sneezing six thousand times?  I have allergies, too.  Get that?  Right now I feel the SAME as you; I just am able to suck it up better.

Anyway, I took the kids to DS's 9:00 soccer game and left DH with his blanket and the allergy pills to sleep for another hour, which seemed like a nice thing to do until I showed up back at the house at 10:30 and told him it was his turn to take both kids to DD's 11:00 game so I could go for a run before the afternoon event.  Ha, ha, mean unsympathetic wife strikes again.  orngtongue.gif

I did six miles, punctuated by a bee flying into my forehead.  It was too stunned to sting me, but I wasted a lot of energy whipping off my hat and shooing it off my body, then making sure it wasn't still lurking somewhere on my clothes.  I'm afraid of bees.

The afternoon event was nice.  The food was good and the ice cream was excellent.  We did bumper boats, which I hated and the kids loved, and most of a round of mini-golf before the meltdowns started.  Then we relaxed with some face painting and headed home.  The event was to benefit a local eight-year-old girl who, a year or so ago, came down with an infection her parents thought was the flu.  After a lot of time in the hospital, it developed into something else (sepsis?) and she ended up needing both arms and both legs amputated.  There are lots of medical bills for the family, as you can imagine.

I'm afraid I didn't sufficiently prepare our kids, since I didn't think I really needed to get into it at the moment, but as we were going through the food line, the girl was there at a table near the end of the line.  I had to do a very quick whispered explanation about there being a girl who didn't have arms and legs and who was in a wheelchair and how she had a bad disease that made it so she had to have her arms and legs removed.  Luckily their cousins have a grandfather who had one leg amputated and they've seen him take it off and put it on enough times at family parties to know that such things exist, so I was able to say that maybe when this girl gets older she'll have prosthetic arms and legs like Tom has.  DD, who is six, was mostly concerned with how the girl would eat the hot dog on the plate in front of her, and was fascinated instead of horrified.  She also had some innovative ideas and theories that she shared, far too loudly and with more hand and body gestures than I would have liked.  bag.gif  I then had to tell her not to stare six thousand times before we finally got through the line and found a table far away.

It's hard to be back to real life, after last weekend's great time away.  Our stove died and we need a repair guy to come on Monday.  DD has a bunch of ballet rehearsals to work around that are leading up to her big show (Pippi Longstocking) in June.  We have ants crawling around our kitchen, but only one or two at a time so I'm finding it hard to track them and decide what to do about them.  I still need to repair screens and patch pants and remove spots of mold from our bathroom ceiling and rake leaves.  I feel as though right now my life is an infinite set of twenty-minute jobs that I just can't get around to doing.  Tomorrow I will choose four or five of these twenty-minute jobs and just get them done.  Maybe then I won't feel so fatigued just setting foot into my house.

#268 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Just a little FYI...hangover running? Not so hot. orngtongue.gif The first mile was ok, 10:40ish pace. When the second mile was 12:50, I knew it was going to be ugly.

I'm totally discombobulated about this duathlon tomorrow. I don't know how to pack for it, what to wear, anything. Blech.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#269 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM

ND--how does one get more out of recovery days?

Mel38--good luck on your tri!

Nick--option #1. Also, good luck with that list.

1jooj--craziness! Hope your DD is feeling better soon.

La4--that's a busy day!

tjsmama--On getting too old to party hard: ya think? wink1.gif (Says the woman who's always been too old to party hard....) Glad to hear you won't freeze to death tomorrow at least!

Hmmm...too bad my tri is in a pool. I wouldn't mind a duathlon. Actually, I think I'd prefer those because it would be easier to fit all the exercise in, but oh well.

RR: I still feel like crap here, so I decided to bike instead of run today. I did 9 with J in the trailer. I felt mostly ok then, though my throat felt raw by the time I got home. At least I could breathe.

NRR: I seem to be running a low-grade fever off and on and I'm not sure what to do about that. Between that and the congestion and the sore throat, well, bleh. I'll try going to bed early and pray that I feel better for my long run tomorrow. In fun news, we went to REI for their sale today. R got her first pair of hiking shoes, DH got socks, I got a new running bra and goggles, and best of all, we got a bike rack for the car. It plugs into the hitch so it should be easy for me to deal with. Of course, as soon as we got home I eyed my bike (which looks like this) and went inside to google "how do you put a women's trek navigator on a Thule helium rack?" The answer? Get a frame adapter bar that subs as the top bar I don't have and voila! So I ordered that part and should be good to go as soon as it arrives. (Yes, I'm sure there's some funky way I could manage to get my Navigator on by having one of the wheels up really high or something, but honestly, this seems like the easiest answer, especially because DH's bike is also a women's frame, having been my sister's old bike.) I'm excited, especially because it means we can take my bike up to the mountains next week and I can actually do some biking while we're there. I'd love to get on the trail that runs (I believe) from Snow Mountain Ranch to Fraser, but I've seen people bike along the main highway too, and in theory I could bike into Rocky Mountain National Park if I wanted (but seeing as it will be uphill, I'm not sure how much I'll actually want to do that).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#270 of 418 Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Nic, that is one amazing list!! Amherst sounds great.

Plady, sorry about your cat. And good luck with the U/S hug2.gif

jo, hope your dd is feeling better soon. And good luck with the consulate and the possible marriage!

Gaye, congrats on the exam, and the celebration, despite the after-effects

La, glad the "mean unsympathetic wife" got her run in winky.gif And I hope your strategy of tacking 4-5 of the 20 minute jobs works. I should maybe consider that one, especially if it means the laundry gets put away at some point this week...

Real, what did you get for hiking shoes for R? My oldest needs a pair, but I'm still deciding what to get.

RR: Run/walk fail. I tried two minute running intervals (with 3 min walking), and by the third I "maybe" felt an ache in my hips/pelvis and by the fifth I had sciatica down one side and pain radiating to my knee on the other. Not bad pain (the temptation to keep running was strong...), but definitely a message from my body to stop running. And I've been feeling generally achy all day, not to mention stupidly emotional. Not sure what my next step is- my pelvis feels much more aligned and right than before the chiro, but the run feels identical to any I've tried in the past two months. The only sports medicine doctor locally is not someone I want to see, so I'm investigating my options again.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Baby Jogger

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page