Running Around the Maypole ~ the May Dingo Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Runners, walkers, cyclists, triathletes and proponents of forward motion!  Welcome to the Dingo thread and Run On!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#2 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Hi Dingo mamas!

No run yet today...hoping for one later despite nasty lovebugs infestation and major heat. UGh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#3 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Morning Dingos!

Thanks JG thumb.gif

Wow, Gaye, it just doesn't even seem so long ago that you started studying, and look how far you have come! When do you get the news about that interview?

Welcome et bien!

Real, both those races sound awesome. Does it have to be one or the other? WTG on the hill workout.

Penelope, that's a fantastic time considering all the stretching breaks! Seriously, it would have been a PR, don't you think? And if you can take it easier on the next one, slower, and get to the PT in the meantime, it sounds like your knee issues will be ok.Take it slow in the meantime.

I got in 2 workouts already today - 3 miles with RP and 1200 yards in the pool. That's nice for a change!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#4 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM

jog.gif

mel~By next Monday!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#5 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Mel, thanks! smile.gif I think if all knees had cooperated it would have been a pretty good race for me, time-wise. Not having to pee really made a difference! Made the appointment today for the referral into PT - can't get in before Monday but at least I'll have a visit before my next race and I can stretch, etc. in the meantime.

Gaye, keeping fingers crossed for you!

I am so ready for the end of my semester. That's all I can say. Also kind of anxious about the summer as I don't do well with long unstructured chunks of time, but I'll do my part to make it work. <sigh>

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#6 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 AM

I did manage to get out for a run today, even though I didn't feel like it.  Once I got started, though, I ran farther than I'd planned, so that felt good.  It was a fairly slow six miles, which was fine.

I had time to come home and shower and even put away some laundry before I needed to pick DS up from preschool.  I was all set for a good afternoon; I'd told DS that we could go to the mall and he could play on the playmat and I could buy Mother's Day gifts for my mom and my grandmother.

Before coming into the house, DS plays on the porch for a few minutes and then announces he's had an accident.  I am furious.  He is five years old and has had four or five accidents this week.  I'm just beside myself and have no idea what to do.  He asks if we'll still go to the mall, and in my fury I say no.  Thus begins an hour-long tantrum from DS, screaming about how he won't have another accident, how I promised a trip to the mall, how I'm not letting him do anything he wants to do.

I told him that I couldn't take him to the mall if I thought he was going to have an accident there, and that he needed to spend the day practicing listening to his body and proving that he was in control before he expected me to take him out.

I don't know what to do.  I feel crappy not taking him to the mall, but I somewhat suspect that he's just gotten lazy about making it to the bathroom and I want to impress upon him that this is NOT okay with me.

Sometimes this parenting thing sucks.

At least I'll have all afternoon at home to do yardwork.

#7 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM

La4, that does suck. Having gone through a lot of daytime wetting issues last year - I feel that frustration. hug2.gif I hope he isn't too devastated about playing in the yard and helping mom instead of at the mall. Anyway, it is a consequence of an accident, like it or not, that you either can't go somewhere or have to cut a trip short, so .... maybe not so bad?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#8 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Here's the race list for the May thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

mommajb - Carmel Marathon - June 11

bec - Naperville Triathlon - June 12

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - June 25

Realrellim - Grand Park Run for Independence - July 2

Naughty Dingo - Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake Trail Marathon - July 9

Realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 9

memiles - Warrior Dash - July 16

Nemesis and dh - Minnesota Warrior Dash - July 23

tjsmama - Courage Classic Bike Tour - July 23-25

Realrellim - Lookout Mountain Triathlon - July 23

MotivatedMama - Beach to Beacon 10K - August 6

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 7

bec - Bangs Lake Multisport Festival (Olympic distance triathlon) - August 14

tjsmama -  Venus de Miles Road Ride - August 28

mommajb - Indy Women's Half Marathon - September 3

bec and bec's dh - Warrior Dash Upper Midwest - September 17

mommajb - Columbus Marathon - October 16

bec - Hot Chocolate 15K - November 5

Naughty Dingo - Seattle Marathon - November 27

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post
#9 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM

run.gif2011 Dingo Race Results  partytime.gif

babybugmama - Walt Disney World Half Marathon - January 8 (First half of Goofy challenge) - 2:21:14
babybugmama - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9 (Completion of Goofy Challenge) - 5:08:02
Nickaroloberry - Disney Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 4:59:14 (PR!)

HomeBirthMommy - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 6:12:57

Realrellim - Frosty's Frozen 5 and 10, 10 miles - Jaunary 15 - 1:33:51

Tjsmama - Yeti Chase 10K - January 22 - 1:05:18

Realrellim - Snowman Stampede 10 miles - February 19 - 1:29:05

Nickarolaberry - Scrub J 10K - February 19 - 1:01:42

JayGee - Ofallon YMCA Indoor Triathlon - February 26 - 47:14

modmom - Disney Princess Half Marathon - February 27 - 2:16

Runningmommy - 10K - March 5 - 47:16

Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 13 - 2:03:50 (PR!)

Nickarolaberry - Springfest 5K - March 19 - 26:43 (PR!)

MelW - CVRR Half Marathon - March 20 - 2:10:51 (PR!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:34:57 (PR!)

Mel38, poppywise - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 2 - 1:09:18 

bec, and bec's dh - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 9 - 37:40

Nickarolaberry - 10K - April 9 - 58:45 (PR!)

Realrellim - Platte River Half Marathon - April 10 - 1:57:38 (PR!)

Geofizz - runcbus 10 miler - April 10 - 1:34:42

Penelope - Lincoln Half Marathon - May 1 - 2:17:42

Bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 7 - 2:43:20

Naughty Dingo - Lake Monona 20K - May 7 - 1:50

Naughty Dingo - Syttende Mai 20 Mile - May 14 - 3:15 

tjsmama - Summer Open Sprint Triathlon (converted to duathlon due to weather) - May 22 - 1:34:23

Mel38 - Charleston Sprin Triathlon Series - May 22 - 1:31:07

Naughty Dingo - Madison Marathon - May 29 - 4:29:43

Realrellim - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 30 - 55:33

tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10 K - May 30 - 57:13

doctorjen - Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 30 - 27:39

2010 Results

#10 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Lots of running today. Not much actual running, just running from meeting to meeting.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#11 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
bec

la4 - hug2.gif  I hear your frustration.  A once in a while accident is one thing, but repeated is just so annoying! 

Thanks JG for the new thread!

I took my dogs out to the forest preserve where they could run around off lead.  They had a great time.  We went with another friend who brought her dog.  He decided to find a dead animal and roll in it.  nono.gif  Anyway, there were a ton of ponds and small lakes, so he got to wash off there.  My puppy had his first experience with water.  I think he was the happiest dog I had ever seen!  It was like you could see a door opening in his mind as he realized he was meant to swim!  He is happily passed out now after having sunned himself dry on my deck!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#12 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I totally overdid it on the weekend.  The consequence is that I've accomplished nothing today.  Maybe I'll knock out early to refresh DS' reading stack at the library.

Saturday - 10 mile run, set up, ran, and took down a bike rodeo for ~200 kids - put plants into the ground, stood talking to another parent about our school for an hour, then walked to pick up DD from her book club in the evening.  I think that was 12-13 hours on my feet.

Sunday - 16 mile bike ride, groceries, soccer x2, 1 nap.

Lala:  on the potty, I've been through the ringer.  I do think some kids need "retraining" every 3-6 months for years.  DD is finally trained now and has been for a year.  She's going on 9 years old now....  DS was having increasing accidents this spring, and then I watched him get dressed on morning.  I noticed that he was getting himself into his underwear much like a diver squeezes themselves into a wet suit.  Sure enough, my 40 pound 5 year old was wearing size 2T underwear.  Ooooops.  Since sorting his underwear drawer, things are a lot better for him.  :bag:

#13 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Lalala ~ DD1 had a hard time with REALLY being trained.  She was okay unless whatever she was doing was too interesting to stop, then, an accident.  I admit I was a little harsh with her after peeing on our brand new sofa for the 200th time.  I agree with Geo that some kids need to retrain every couple of months until they really get it.  Good luck and you did the right thing.

Welcome et bien!  Have fun marathon training!

Geo ~ yikes, what a weekend!!!!  I'm impressed thumb.gif.

I skipped my workout this morning in favor of spending my Lenscrafters gift certificate from DH on a new pair of glasses and a pair of sunglasses!  Both are wonderful, but I did overspend the certificate by about $40.  Oops....  Our van is going to be in the body shop for about 3 weeks.  Apparently they found damage from an old accident that had never been discovered.  Of course, it's past the statue of limitations on the original claim, so I'm out $3000 for the repair and since my insurance isn't covering that, they can't cover a rental car either.  It's going to be me and the bike trailer for the next 3 weeks.  Good times, good times.

#14 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

La4 - ds (6.4) is alllllmost out of that. He will still dribble, AND rarely but it has happened, let a little poop out bag.gif when he is really invested in what he is doing, like JG said. Anytime he is desperate to finish a lego masterpiece I ask him every now and then if he need to use the bathroom, or I downright make him take a bathroom break, even if he says he doesnt want to. This too shall pass

Phoenix trip this [past] weekend w/ dd1 for a climbing competition, just me and her. She's now on varsity, so has to compete more, which means more out of state. Fun, but hectic.

Yes, I am [sort of] here b/c I am sort of exercising regularly innocent.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#15 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Penelope, great RR.  

LaLaLa, I've been there.  Our issue was nighttime accidents.  I would get frustrated, say things I regretted (cause really, I don't think she was wetting the bed on purpose!) out of frustration over having to wash sheets AGAIN.  Deep breaths.

I'm now 2 weeks into PT and thrilled so far.  Turns out my issue wasn't weakness in my bad knee leg, it was tightness and misalignment through my core and hips, basically twisting my torso.  It felt like my right leg was doing all the work because it was, not because the knee was screwed up.  So now it's a process of these insane, mini exercises that make my hips and thighs scream and lots of deep breathing focusing on filling my lungs evenly instead of only using the diaphragm on my right side.  Who knew?  The good news is that I've seen the heavy feeling almost completely go away, now it's just a matter of balancing my legs to get rid of the hip pain and such.  Good times.  I managed 4.5 yesterday with very little walking and lots of mud in the park without pain.  Now to get my cardio back!  

And a question for the biking dingos from a client- how soon is it safe to put a baby in a bike trailer?  I'm assuming a helmet is necessary, but how old should they be, or what developmental milestones need to be met?  This mama discovered a love of biking after her first was about a year old and is now itching to get back out there with her second baby, but pediatrician told her not before a year.  Help!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#16 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

And a question for the biking dingos from a client- how soon is it safe to put a baby in a bike trailer?  I'm assuming a helmet is necessary, but how old should they be, or what developmental milestones need to be met?  This mama discovered a love of biking after her first was about a year old and is now itching to get back out there with her second baby, but pediatrician told her not before a year.  Help!

There are some trailers that will take a baby bucket in the trailer, but I have no experience with those.

For all else, I agree with the ped.

The issue is (1) the helmet and (2) neck strength.  The smallest helmets out there fit the 12 month old, 95%ile head.  Bouncing, even in a trailer, requires neck strength (more than control) to hold that heavy head in place leading to shaken baby issues.  So the bouncing problem is independent of the helmet fit.

#17 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 PM

I'm going to try to post a bit more in May. Will try to run a bit more, too.

Down to two days until my husband is back from his book tour. I took the kids on a road trip to visit my grandma, which was wonderful peppered with awful moments. I had to call to poison control when the 2 year old broke into the toiletries bag AND the 'child-resistant' Advil container and ate a dozen or so children's Advil. But grandma is doing amazingly for turning 98 later this summer, and we got to swim in her complex pool every day. I want to look and act like her when I'm in my 90s :)

My sister who is entering her final semester of massage therapy school came with us and had a look at my hip and pelvis. She tried a couple of things to see if she could help with the alignment, but thinks that I might need chiro to adjust it since my pelvis is quite badly misaligned. Her advice was to stop my weekly "trial' runs, fix the problem first, and then get some coaching focused on technique and then couch to 5k and start from scratch. This doesn't bode well for a great summer of running, but I'm looking at what my local options for chiro are... In the meantime, I can very comfortably bike, bootcamp seems fine (though I need to chat with the trainer, because his plan for the spring/summer was to increase the amount of running for bootcamp), and I need to do more swimming because it feels so great.

memiles, barring a trailer that accomodates the carseat, I unfortunately agree with the ped. My oldest was big and fit a helmet pretty quickly after she was one. I tried so many helmets on my youngest last summer, and less than ideally stuffed the helmet with some extra padding at 14-15 months when I was desperate to get biking again. And I'm glad the physio is helping- the exercises sound fascinating.

LaX4, sorry about the tough time with your son. Sounds like a logical consequence, though. My two year old had her first full day in underwear today, but the trips to the grocery store and to her big sister's fiddle lesson were a bit frightening for me (no accidents, though, and she even braved the fiddle teacher's outhouse/composting toilet!)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#18 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM

memiles~Here's my .02, fwiw. If the trailer were a Chariot and I had the infant sling (I think Chariot is the only brand that has an infant sling), I would be ok with taking baby in the trailer around 6 months. IF it was on smooth, paved, off-road trails only. Otherwise, not until much closer to a year. I got my Chariot when DS was 11 months, so it really wasn't an issue for me, but I've seen lots of friends have the same issue with DC2. That's my comfort level, anyway.

I had a meeting for work tonight that I had to take DS with me to...it ended up being waaaaaay past DS's bedtime by the time we got home, which resulted in some major meltdown action. Sigh. I am SO tired of arguing with the child about everything. And he has recently taken to hitting me when he doesn't like whatever I might be saying to him at the moment. greensad.gif I am feeling like the crappiest parent ever about now. Of course, it does make me feel slightly better that in the midst of arguing, refusing to do what I'm asking him to do, and telling me that he doesn't like me right now, he still interjects plenty of "I love you, mommy"s... rolleyes.gif

Oh, and my classmate emailed the clinical placement coordinator about our summer placements to see if we will be able to do the 3 day bike ride...two out of the three of us can do it. Guess who can't? irked.gif I mean, seriously? I emailed the coordinator back to just basically beg for mercy, and laid out the fact that my Sunday clinical this block has forced me to miss my friend's wedding in Paris, my marathon, Easter, and Mother's Day, so please cut me some slack. I am not holding out any hope.

Back to drowning my sorrows in cool ranch doritos. bag.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#19 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post

I am so ready for the end of my semester.

This.

tjsmama--I hope they are able to change your placement. That's ridiculous to do, twice in a row no less!

La4--sorry about the potty stuff. DD1 occasionally does it, but only usually during a growth spurt. I figure the nerve endings need to reconnect and try to help her be more mindful during those times.

memiles--I agree with tjsmama about the bike trailer. I took R out in it early, around 8 months (with our ped's approval) and stuck to very smooth, paved trails but I only did it a couple of times and then decided to wait until she was a year. With J, I waited until a year. Also, we didn't do helmets in the trailer as my kids are in the 10th percentile, head-wise (and otherwise below the growth chart) and it would be a ridiculously long wait until they fit in a helmet. (Again, I had this discussion with my pediatrician and he was completely supportive as long as they were strapped in securely). We do helmets all the time otherwise, of course. The helmet thing isn't an issue for most people, as most people don't have an almost-14-month-old who still fits comfortably in a baby bucket or a 6-year-old who fits in 4T clothes either, of course. rolleyes.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#20 of 418 Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 PM

drjen~Can you add the Summer Open Sprint Tri to the race list for me on May 22? Um, yeah, that's in three weeks. yikes.gif

#21 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 AM

Jen, would you toss my recent half on the list: http://www.lincolnrun.org/marathon.htm (May 1st, 2:17:42) and add this one: http://www.papillion.org/recreation_marathon_fun_walk.cfm (May 15th.)

Thanks. love.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#22 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 AM

RR: got in a 4+mile run yesterday, finally.  Decided it is not good idea for injury prone person to run a race in a few days that they haven't trained for in maybe 6 weeks despite what her dh and father are telling her to do.  I'm the runner, and it's my body.  there.  :)  BUT I still get a dingo meet up!!!  WOOT!!!  CHeering on BEC!!  Also did weights for arms, lunges, squats, yoga, push ups, full leg raises. 

I'll be looking for some smaller summer races and something in the fall.  Monumental half or full has been on my mind for years. 

NRR:  life.  :) 

Okay, got to get kids ready for school and I have three meetings today by noon. 

Promise to get back for personals!

#23 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 AM

OT: Method concentrate laundry detergent for he washers.  Any one try it?  It's peaked my interest. 

#24 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

drjen~Can you add the Summer Open Sprint Tri to the race list for me on May 22? Um, yeah, that's in three weeks. yikes.gif

That is right around the corner, and it reminds me that my first ever sprint tri is on that very same date!

So, DrJen, can you please add the May 22nd Charleston Sprint to the calendar for me?

RM & Bec, Dingo meet-up this weekend? Cool! Have fun.

OK, I just spent the last 10 minutes perusing the results list for that tri over the past few years, checking to see whether I would be dead last in this tri or whether I have a chance of beating anyone. bag.gif Is anyone else a little hesitant to have family come cheer them on? I feel like I am being a party pooper, but I'm really worried about them being bored and me being last...

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#25 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM

MelW - have you done much work on strengthening your hips and core? Im having trouble with hip mobility affecting other parts of my leg, and it gets sooo much better the stronger my hips and core are. There are tons of excerises to be found online to do for that, and/or I can recommend the ones that really work for me. I'm seeing a chiro next week for the first time in my life...

Gaye - sounds like par for the age, and you are doing an AMAZING job parenting!!!!!! Truly. With all you have going on, I dont see you flagging on that end at all hug.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#26 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 AM

**subbing**

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#27 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

tjsmama ~ given the fact that your DS and my DD2 are almost the exact age, it seems to be totally age related.  DD2 has been really, REALLY stubborn about things recently (non-negotiable things like wearing a seatbelt or her bike helmet...) and has been copping some serious attitude with me as well.  I'm thinking it's an "almost 5" thing.  In fact, I recall this from DD1's behavior at the same age.  You're doing a great job, Mama.

sparkle ~ lovely to see you!  And I'm glad to hear you're getting some exercise in.  I look forward to hearing about your chiro experience.

I'm doing a sprint tri on May 22 too!  But I still need to register, so hold off on putting me on the list until I plunk down the cash.

Penelope ~ you did a great job on your half!  Especially given the need to stop and stretch every few miles.  Way to go!

RR ~ biked DD2 to preschool, biked to the Y, ran for a little over an hour, biked back to preschool, biked DD2 back home.  Total of 11.5 miles biked and 7.25 miles run.  I'm beat.

#28 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Good evening!

Thanks for all of the support on DS and his accidents.  tjsmama--we're fighting the same stubborn battles here, too.  Sigh.  This age is problematic.  Last night the kids and I went out with DH after work to buy a suit.  Because God forbid he buy one on his own without me and the kids sitting around, bored and restless in the store for an hour while he tries things on.  Anyway, on the way home when I told the kids how late it was and we wouldn't have more time to read, DS threw his water bottle at me.  His metal water bottle.  At my head.  It's a lucky thing I wear glasses to deflect things from my temple.  I shouted and then I cried, which had much more of an effect on DD than on DS.  He just doesn't have that tiny pause in his brain from an impulse to an action.  How do you develop that in kids?

Anyway, all was fine and cheery this morning.

I went out for a long run today; I did the same 12-mile course that I was so grouchy about a couple of weeks ago.  I brought water and Starburst candies, and I mentally prepared myself for the horrific hills, and it went much better today than last time.  I promised myself that if I got to the point where I absolutely needed to walk, I would pause, drink some water, eat a Starburst, and continue on at a slow jog.  This happened much later in the run than I expected, and I only ended up pausing twice.  I felt strong.

Now my knees are really aching.  I'm NOT getting into another ice bath, though.  No WAY.  I should probably take some pain killers, maybe?  And use an ice pack?  I seem to remember being sore the last time but then being okay by the next day.  I'll hope that's the case now, too.

That's about it; I'm feeling dull this evening.  It must be time for bed.

#29 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM

love.gif and happytears.gif I love you guys so much. Thank you for letting me know that it's not just me. I've been SO SO SO frustrated lately. And I hate that I spend so little time with DS and the majority of what time we do spend together is arguing. We had another major meltdown event today at lunch, but as soon as that managed to get shut down and we got out of the house, we had a really, really good afternoon together.

Which involved spending a ridiculous amount of money. My bank account is crying right now. Sigh. rolleyes.gif We crammed a whole lot of errands into about three and a half hours, but the biggest stops involved renewing our ski passes and buying next season's lesson pack (and the sad thing is, there's still $600 left to be paid on the passes in the fall, although at least XH will have to pay for half of DS's) and then stopping off at the bike shop in search of a "big boy" bike for DS's birthday. I was SHOCKED that it really IS a big boy bike...I was expecting a little teeny bike, and nope...it's a serious bike! They had three used bikes in his size, and he picked the one that has gears and hand brakes and everything. I'm kind of floored at the thought of it. So, I put it on layaway and bought a set of training wheels. I'm super excited to get him on it, and hopefully he doesn't need the training wheels for that long. I have high hopes of not having to push the Chariot on runs sometime soon, but having him riding alongside me...

No word from the clinical placement coordinator today, not that I necessarily expected any.

rr~DS had a swim lesson at the Y this morning, so we went early so I could go to spin class. I don't know if it's my slacking off lately, or that it was a hard class, but I was dying. At least I got a good workout, either way, right? And then I squeezed in a quick brick, just to remind myself what it feels like. Only had time for 15 minutes, but I got a mile and a half in, and even did the last minute at a 7:30 pace! yikes.gif

#30 of 418 Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

MelW - have you done much work on strengthening your hips and core? Im having trouble with hip mobility affecting other parts of my leg, and it gets sooo much better the stronger my hips and core are. There are tons of excerises to be found online to do for that, and/or I can recommend the ones that really work for me. I'm seeing a chiro next week for the first time in my life...

I have a routine designed by a yoga teacher to strengthen/stretch my pelvis/hips/core. It's helping, but not quickly enough for me. Though the yoga teacher said that this would be a lesson in patience Sheepish.gif Good luck with the chiro!

Lax4, awesome run!!

tjsmama, I hope that the biking goes well. I love the runs with my oldest biking alongside (on our non-whining cycling days).

Does anyone know what happened to Motivated Mama? She was pregnant and running less, but I can't remember hearing from her again about the news of the ultrasound and whether it was twins...

I have a cold and skipped bootcamp tonight. I probably could have done it, but hate doing pushups when I have to choose between letting snot drip on the gym floor or trying to pull out a tissue. It's gross, but true. I did do the bike run to school for drop-off and pick-up today. I also took my youngest in the stroller for a bit of a hike and fiddlehead foraging, and made my first ever fiddlehead pickles. I've been "working from home" this week, but not doing so well on the getting work done without daycare for the youngest. Tomorrow is my last day of solo parenting, and then my husband will be home from his book tour/writers festival trip.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Baby Jogger

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page