Postpartum Weight Loss- May! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations on your baby!!!babyf.gif

We are glad you found this thread. We are a group of Mamas trying to get back in shape postpartum. We have varying amounts of weight to lose and and are trying a variety of strategies to do so.  Welcome.

This is our official accountability thread!
If you want to be added to the roll, let me know your info and I will get you listed. And of course, let me know any changes you want made to your listing by posting in bold. We want to share your success with you!
If you have any links to tips, recipes or exercise you want to share, I will post that too.

Current Hot Mama's-
Amandamanda- Current Weight- 133lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 87 lbs!

Amy@STL- Current Weight-184lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-
AnnieMac- Current Weight- 110.5lbs, Goal Weight- 100lbs, Total Lost- 31 lbs!

Aphel- Current Weight- 165lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 5 lbs!

BaileyB- Current Weight- 158lbs, Goal Weight- 148lbs, Total Lost- 32 lbs!

Carley- Current Weight- 130lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 26 lbs!

CherryBomb- Current Weight- 238lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 27 lbs!

Chewynotcrunchy-  Current weight-170lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 35 lbs!

Chloe'sMama- Current Weight- 148lbs, Goal Weight- 135lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

Decafmom-Current Weight- 122lbs, Goal Weight- 110lbs, Total Lost- 29.5 lbs!

Fruitful4him- Current Weight- 182lbs, Goal Weight- 169lbs, Total Lost- 68 lbs!

Geigerin- Current Weight- 208lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-

Gobecgo- Current Weight- 211lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 20 lbs!

Greenlea- Current Weight- 180lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-

greenmulberry- Current Weight- 214lbs, Goal Weight- 160lbs, Total Lost-

Hannah32- Current Weight- 178lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 27 lbs!

Hollymommy- Current Weight- 131lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

Hollyrose 114-Current Weight- , Goal Weight- , Total Lost-

Ihugtrees- Current Weight- 165lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-

JAntoinette- Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 132lbs, Total Lost-

Jess_paez- Current Weight- 181lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 23 lbs!
Kitteh- Current Weight- 127lbs, Goal Weight- 116lbs, Total Lost- 27 lbs!

KittyWitty- Current Weight- 152lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

lapoli- Current Weight- 124 lbs, Goal Weight- 115 lbs, Total Lost-

Laylasmomplus1- Current Weight- 252lbs, Goal Weight- 205lbs, Total Lost

LoveLife- Current Weight-130 , Goal Weight- 112lbs, Total Lost- 16 lbs!

Lovemore- Current Weight- 124lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost-31 lbs!

Loveneverfails-Current Weight- 162lbs, Goal Weight- 160lbs, Total Lost-10 lbs!

Maciascl- Current Weight- 168lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 5 lbs!

Mamacatsbaby-Current Weight- 185lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 10 lbs!

mamaofprincesses-Current Weight- 181lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost-

MamitaM- Current Weight- 121lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 39 lbs!

Mammab21- Current Weight- 160lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-
Mandica- Current Weight- 134.5lbs, Goal Weight- 134lbs, Total Lost-68 lbs!

Mauraa629- Current Weight- 154lbs, Goal Weight- 122lbs, Total Lost-

Mylilmonkeys- Current Weight- 191lbs, Goal Weight- 170lbs, Total Lost-6 lbs!

OneWithTwo- Current Weight- 200lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost-
Pacificbliss- Current Weight- 172lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 12 lbs!

Pittnurse08- Current Weight- 135.5lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 70 lbs!
P.J.- Current Weight- 155lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 22 lbs!

Poorlittlefish- Current Weight- 163lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 4 lbs!

prone_to_wander- Current Weight- 155lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost-

RaeRae91-Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 28 lbs!

Sandrine- Current Weight- , Goal Weight- , Total Lost-

Snapdragon- Current Weight- 150lbs, Goal Weight- 120lbs, Total Lost-
Sosurreal09- Current Weight- 163.3lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 75 lbs!
SpuglyRoo- Current Weight- 133lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 51 lbs!

StellaNuova - Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 35 lbs!

Sunsetdancer- Current Weight- 233lbs, Goal Weight- 153lbs, Total Lost-

Theoldmommers- Current Weight- 129lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost- 38 lbs!
Tracymom1- Current Weight- 127lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost- 23 lbs!

TrekkinGirl- Current Weight- 196lbs, Goal Weight- 170lbs, Total Lost- 8 lbs!

Upnorthmama- Current Weight- 208lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 15 lbs!

#2 of 71 Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! May thread is up and I am down 6 lbs!

#3 of 71 Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, Pacificbliss!  The sun has finally decided to make an appearance and I took the girls on two walks yesterday!  One, about a mile round trip to the "big park" to let the 2yo and 5yo play for a bit, and then later with my dh, more like 1.5 to 2 miles.  Today I'm exhausted since Lucy decided crying was better than sleeping last night.  I'm going to try to force myself to go out again with dh after dinner.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 71 Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM

StellaNuova- The paragard hasn't bothered me at all. No problems whatsoever, and its been in for a year. :)

Thanks for the new thread PacificBliss! WTG on your loss!! I am so proud of you! Have you been doing anything different? I am hoping that by this time next month I will be at my goal, though we are heading to NYC in 2 weeks, and you CANNOT diet while in NYC!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#5 of 71 Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda, it must be the threadmistress luck. The only thing that has changed is that I have not been getting any exercise. LOL.

#6 of 71 Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Good gracious I've gone a little nuts this weekend.  We went to a potluck game night and I couldn't resist the brownies and chocolate doughnuts, and then today we did mother's day with my family and I over-indulged on the apple crisp, and tomorrow we are getting together with his family.  I feel like I have totally lost my restraint and reason!  We'll be eating pizza (my favorite) and cake (which I was elected to bring so I already know it is awesome) and I think I'm just going to have to call this weekend a loss and not worry about it.  I'm not even going to step on the scale tomorrow, I'll wait until Monday to see the total damage.  In other news I'm wearing my skinny pants from five years ago, so I'm apparently still doing something right.

Happy Mother's Day Ladies!!

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#7 of 71 Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Don't feel bad SpuglyRoo. DD has been up since 3:00 AM playing so I am eating pizza as I type this.

#8 of 71 Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Well I made the chocolate cake made out of black beans today for mothers day! It was really good. Thanks to whomever it was that gave me the recipe. I had a wonderful mothers day gift this morning....... I fit into my prepregnancy jeans! woooohoooo! Now if I can just lose 7 pounds I will be at my prepregnancy weight too. Happy Mothers Day everyone.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#9 of 71 Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM

I'm glad you liked the cake! Well, the junk from this weekend is pretty much gone, so regular life here I come!  We've been getting outside every day and I've been doing some backbreaking hand tilling in my garden, but no formal exercise.  It is hard to make myself do it.

pacificbliss, I HATE it when they are wide awake and playful in the middle of the night.  Can't they wait until morning?  Hopefully that was a fluke.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#10 of 71 Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Can you add me? Current weight 214, goal weight, 160.

Someone asked me when I was having my baby the other day, she was born in february!!!!!!!

#11 of 71 Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post

Can you add me? Current weight 214, goal weight, 160.

Someone asked me when I was having my baby the other day, she was born in february!!!!!!!

Welcome.gifYou are now on the list. Sorry someone made such an idiotic comment. February was not that long ago! I wish celebrities would start showing pictures of themselves immediately postpartum. You know, before they go home to the nannies, personal trainers and chef.

#12 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM

I haven't lost any more weight to report but I did start walking to work! It's not real far but any extra excersize has got to help, right?

I wish all the people listed on this thread were regular posters. More activity on the thread would be great.

On that note, how's everbody doing?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#13 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM

So tonight after dinner we all went out in the yard and DH and I played some lively badminton.  Yay for fun exercise!  It's funny, I used to play it for hours at a time with my cousin without feeling anything, yet tonight I was breathing hard and while not quite breaking a sweat, I know that I'll feel it tomorrow.  I'm still dreading the scale since my weekend of indulgence, we'll see if I'm brave tomorrow.  Arg!  I just realized that on Sunday we are hosting my sister's graduation party.  I'm really going to have to embrace moderation I think rather than avoid things entirely.  How is it that I can go weeks eating really healthfully and then blow it all in one weekend because I can't seem to stop eating the cookies or chips or whatever it is that is available for one reason or another.  I need better self control.

Great job finding more ways to move, Trekkingirl!  Every little bit keeps adding to the sum of a healthier you :-)

#14 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Good to hear how everyone is doing,...I've been eating a lot but v. rarely overeating and I am not going to try to restrain too much here, I don't like to have lots of rules around food -- just trying to eat what my body needs/wants within reason and be pretty healthy and not overdo the  carbs,my babe is only nine weeks old and I am  nursing a lot...I've backed off on the cookies & milk & doing dark chocolate instead for my sweet fix which I think is  healthier. I've been consistently getting to a couple of yoga classes a week now for 2-3 weeks, and am out doing more walks as we are finally getting decent weather here. I feel like my "big" jeans are getting a bit looser which is a good sign. I feel pretty healthy and that overall I am trending in the right direction...I rarely weigh myself as it makes me obsess. I have a follow up appt. with the MW's the third week in June and I will weight myself then so I am motivated to stay active & healthy...I've always found though that the last pounds (5-8-10 - can't remember) are hard to lose while still nursing -- have others had the same experience? I feel pretty vain that I care so much about getting my figure back but I feel it's just good for my mental health, it's part of my identity or something....I am also doing PT for my pelvic floor, something I have had to do in the past too...if anyone is considering this I highly recommend it - it's worth it! So just trying to take good care of myself and putting the weight loss into that context as good for both mental & physical health as long as I don't start obsessing...

#15 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Hello everyone! OK, after a hiatus of discouragement, I am back, and I see I'm still on the wall. Thanks for not giving up on me :)  I'm still 110, so I haven't gained anything, but I sure haven't lost either. 

#16 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM

annie mac how tall are you? I thought 110 was a typo until I looked at the list up top and saw that was right. How long has it been since you've posted? Welcome back.

#17 of 71 Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Hi Trekkinggirl, I am 5 feet, so 110 is not a typo. I am aiming for 100. And how long has it been since I posted? Hmm...months. The fact that I can't really remember says scads. I see a few people I remember from before, but I see there are many new ones as well. (a belated welcome to you all!) Thank you for the welcome, and I am looking forward to being back and being accountable for what I eat. 

#18 of 71 Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaNuova View Post

Good to hear how everyone is doing,...I've been eating a lot but v. rarely overeating and I am not going to try to restrain too much here, I don't like to have lots of rules around food -- just trying to eat what my body needs/wants within reason and be pretty healthy and not overdo the  carbs,my babe is only nine weeks old and I am  nursing a lot...I've backed off on the cookies & milk & doing dark chocolate instead for my sweet fix which I think is  healthier. I've been consistently getting to a couple of yoga classes a week now for 2-3 weeks, and am out doing more walks as we are finally getting decent weather here. I feel like my "big" jeans are getting a bit looser which is a good sign. I feel pretty healthy and that overall I am trending in the right direction...I rarely weigh myself as it makes me obsess. I have a follow up appt. with the MW's the third week in June and I will weight myself then so I am motivated to stay active & healthy...I've always found though that the last pounds (5-8-10 - can't remember) are hard to lose while still nursing -- have others had the same experience? I feel pretty vain that I care so much about getting my figure back but I feel it's just good for my mental health, it's part of my identity or something....I am also doing PT for my pelvic floor, something I have had to do in the past too...if anyone is considering this I highly recommend it - it's worth it! So just trying to take good care of myself and putting the weight loss into that context as good for both mental & physical health as long as I don't start obsessing...

My gosh, yes! I forget when I got down to +10 pounds of my goal weight. 6 months post-partum maybe? It's on these archives somewhere! But anyway, here we are at 13+ months post-partum, and here I still am, +10 pounds of my goal weight! I don't know if it's the nursing (I have my suspicions though), but I am very hungry much of the time and I CRAVE sweets like no one's business. My LO, even at 13 months, still nurses a lot, maybe 5-7 times per day, and anywhere from 2 - 5 times per night. I have no plans to wean her anytime soon, but I am a little nervous about it. What will happen? Will the loss of a major calorie burner cause me to balloon? Or will I naturally just start eating less, craving less sweets and slim down? 

#19 of 71 Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning ladies. So happy to come here and see so many active posters.

SpuglyRoo your plan for the graduation party sounds good. Remember you can have it all but not all at once. If you are making something that you love and only make for special occasions have some and don't feel guilty. Or, if someone brings that rare treat go for it. On the other hand, if a big box of store bought cookies show up, run!

StellaNuova sounds like you're doing great. I don't like too many food restrictions either. Once I decide i can't have something it becomes the only thing I want lol.gif Right now I am 16 lbs below my pre-pg weight but I was not at a healthy weight when i got pg. I wonder if i had been at a healthy weight if my body would have held onto 10 extra lbs.

So, DD will be one next Saturday. I did not have a great week this week so unless I have a spectacular week this week and lose 4 lbs I will not make my goal of 20 lbs lost by her first birthday. Hmm, just writing that I may have motivated myself to try and lose 4 lbs this week. I still find it tough to get regular exercise so I am just trying to incorporate more activity into my every day. We'll see how it goes. DH wants to get scuba certified and I would just need a refresher to get out there and do some diving. This is motivational too because wetsuits are not flattering.

#20 of 71 Old 05-14-2011, 02:03 PM

I have been eating low carb, it is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me in the past.

I am past the sugar cravings hump. Tonight I am going to a birthday party and have already accepted that I won't have any cake or ice cream, there will be lots of seafood though so I plan to indulge there.

I have been worried about dieting affecting my milk production but so far no problems.

#21 of 71 Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM

I am so discouraged. I decided that while DH was away, I was really going to work on portion control. Eat whatever, but not ten pounds of it. And I've been doing very well for almost a week; I've also been exercising more (I already exercise a fair bit, but it's sunny and people are into walking with me, and there's the garden, etc). Anyway, I weighed myself today. I'm up 3 pounds. I weigh myself regularly, so I know that only last week I was 110, and now 113. To be honest, 113.4! I'm still going to portion control, but I guess I can't have chocolate everyday, not even a little bit. 

#22 of 71 Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Well, I can see why I've gained 3 pounds. I decided to track my calories today, just to see. It's only 10:30 am, and I've already eaten 3/4 of my allotted calories for the days. And I haven't even had that much! 

#23 of 71 Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Hi y'all...well I have been eating up a storm, just have felt like it...actually I think it's because I have been having trouble sleeping...when that happens I seem to eat more to compensate for the energy loss...don't know if that makes sense but...

Btw, someone mentioned if you gain weight when you stop breastfeeding...I have found both other times that I need to get used to eater smaller portions again...because I have been pregnant/nursing for so long it's been a while since I was eating normal amounts for me...

#24 of 71 Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM

No huge progress to report but I did lose 1 pound which brings me down to 195lbs.

I saw a really sad show on tv last night about the half ton mom. After searching for gastric bypass for 12 years she finally found a surgeon willing to do the surgery on a woman her size. Six months post surgery she died of a heart attack leaving two daughters behind.

Sad but very motivating!

#25 of 71 Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Bad, bad, bad week in terms of portion control. Too much stress, no exercise.

Congrats on the loss Trekkingirl! I saw that show in the hotel. I could not believe she died. I guess I only expect those reality shows to show good outcomes and this one did not.

#26 of 71 Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Trekkingirl, that's great! You're on your way :) I saw that show a while ago too. Yeah, sad. And scary, to imagine how she got that big -- it's gotta be just one doughnut, one cookie at a time, right? The same way I am 10 pounds overweight, she become 500 pounds overweight. I will admit to watching all the "fat people" shows. It's like a little dose of "there but for the grace of god." 

#27 of 71 Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies, I have gained 1.6 lbs back. Went a little crazy this week with DD birthday and family in town. I think I am going to start a cleanse to try and hit the reset button.

#28 of 71 Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Pacificbliss, what does your cleanse look like? I should try something like that, but omg, I get so hungry! Speaking of hungry, I've been counting calories for the past 4 days. I have eaten over my allotted 1500 every single day by between 300 and 500 cals. 1500 calories is just not much food, especially as a nursing mother. Anyone else doing this? Tips? There's got to be a way to eat a balanced diet (ie not just cucumbers all day) but still come in at or under 1500 without starving. Is it just a case of getting used to feeling a little gnoshy all the time? 

#29 of 71 Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Hi Everyone,

Not counting cals but sure I am well over 1500.  In my experience 1500 is not a lot even when you are not nursing. Are you super teeny tiny because that seems really low.  I am tall but when at my normal weight slender-ish at about 130.   Counting calories just makes me obsess so trying just to eat healthy not overeat and go easy on the carbs and that's been working pretty well the last few days. But what I am really excited about is that my efforts to exercise are taking hold and it's helping me feel good...I have to pay a sitter to watch my lo while her older sibs are in school so it's an inulgence but I am thinking of it as a gift to myself....also my abs are a bit separated to trying to do those special sit ups...plus some serious pelvic floor ones (usually get those done at night while watching something!) Not weighing myself till my next medical appt. 2nd half of June so just wanting to keep this going till then (and beyond!)

Stella

#30 of 71 Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM

I am small, so 1500 is probably correct. It sure is hard though, and I think ultimately I will use it as a guideline for what healthy portions are, and what packs the most punch, nutritionally and calorie wise. I'm on calorie count. com. They give you the nutritional breakdown as well as the calories so that is useful. Who knew that just six walnuts had SO much fat (and therefore calories)? And blue cheese dressing, my favourite, is a serious 1500 calorie buster. However, walnuts are way better for me, so they will stay, and perhaps the blue cheese dressing will have to go.

I've been doing a green smoothie for breakfast every morning, and I'm adding some 0% greek yogurt into it for protein. Feeling good about that :)

Stella, that's awesome that you're taking the time to exercise. I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the idea of leaving the LO at the gym daycare...I'm not quite there yet, so we just do walks and stuff around the house -- but eventually, I will actually get there :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page