Help with running schedule w/ baby! Thanks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies! I'm new to MDC and just discovered this forum - I'm hoping you can offer me some advice here! Sorry in advance for the long post! smile.gif

DH and I would like to start jogging for exercise / fitness. We have a 6-month-old DS and a jogging stroller. DH works a standard Monday - Friday schedule (he's gone 7a - 5:30p, and he takes the bus so those times are pretty set). I mostly stay home with DS but I do work 2-3 weekends / month (daytime hours). We'd like to do a couch to 5K and run 3x/week. We'd prefer to run together at least until we finish the couch to 5K program, so that we can keep each other company and stay motivated.

Our issue is figuring out when during the day is the best time to run! As we see it we have four options: 

1) Wake up at 5:00am three days/ week and run before DH goes to work. Major issue there is that would involve waking a sleeping baby (he would NOT transfer asleep to the jogging stroller that time of day), which just seems wrong to us. The major pro to this is that we used to work out in the mornings before we had DS and we really enjoyed it, so I know we could do it / stay motivated / etc, but waking up DS to go running 3x/week just seems ... wrong, and I worry about it screwing up his whole day. 

2) Go in the evenings right when DH gets home from work (5:30). The major con there is that DS tends to fall asleep in the jogging stroller, and a "nap" that time of night would probably screw up his whole night (he's a challenging sleeper as it is ..). 

3) Go at bedtime (around 7p)... We could put DS in his pajamas, nurse, etc, and then instead of trying to get him into his crib, put him in the jogging stroller, then try to transfer him to his crib when we get back (assuming he falls asleep). Major issue there is that we're afraid DS would "nap" in the jogging stroller and be impossible to transfer when we get home. He's really bad at sleeping in his crib as it is (we cosleep, but try to use the crib for naps and early evenings), and we hate to muddy the waters with this stroller sleeping thing.

4) Run separately. I could go in the mornings with DS and DH could run after DS goes to bed, or he could even wake up early and run before work by himself. The major con to this is that it takes away from our time together and keeps us from being able to motivate each other while we run. 

DH really really wants to run together ... as do I, but I think I see the logistical issues involved a little bit more clearly than he does. So.... WWYD? 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done the bedtime run with my youngest and had pretty good luck at about that age. But I never transferred her until the dirt wake-up of the night (which at six months was usually 45-90 minutes after falling asleep). I just rolled the stroller into the house and when she woke up quickly took her to bed and nursed her down.

Waking a sleeping baby to run is unappealing to me, but I could see right after work being good if you could figure or some stimulating stroller entertainment/snack/whatever- maybe in a few months?

Good luck and enjoy!!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

User Tag List