Looking for buddies (SOUTH BEACH DIET) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if people are still looking at this but I just started Phase 1 today, DH and I are doing it together.  I am 5'8 and 166.5 this morning.  Want to get down to my pre-baby weight (from my ODD!) of 152.  That is my happy weight.  I am nursing 2 times per day so who knows, that little bit might help me lose a little more :)

Had 3 eggs, slice of reduced fat cheddar and 2 slices of Turkey Bacon for breakfast.

#32 of 41 Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Anybody still around? dh and I are starting South Beach on Sunday, and I'd love some company/advice!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***** Oct 2014 - it's a
#33 of 41 Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM

monkeyscience:

I just started SB on Friday, November 4, 2011.  I started out at 141 pounds.  This morning I weighed in at 136.8.  I was very surprised.  I have been following the meal plans in the book.  I have made a couple of switches due to not liking some of the items.  I have not had caffeine and I have been trying to drink water.  I am hoping that this continues on.  Tonight I have had two scrambled eggs with a little ham, one cup of sugar free gelatin, and I am about to make the vanilla ricotta creme for my snack.  This diet was suggested to me by my endocrinologist.

#34 of 41 Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM

monkeyscience:

I'm glad to see someone else is just starting, as well :)

#35 of 41 Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Hi! Sorry it took me a while to check in - I've been busy!!

So I'm counting Monday as our official start date. I forgot exactly how much I weighed that morning, but around 164. I'm down 1.6 lbs so far!! I know that's enough that it could just be normal fluctuations, but I weigh at the same time each day, and it's sure better than going up!

South Beach meals I've made so far:

Veggie quiche to go - dh and I are so-so on this, but thinking of adding some turkey bacon or Canadian bacon to make it a little tastier. Definitely convenient!

Broiled flank steak - dh loved this, said he'd be happy to eat it diet or no. I wish it had come out more tender. I might add some meat tenderizer next time. But very tasty!

Roasted vegetables - Made this to go with our flank steak. Very tasty! I added in some fresh rosemary, which made it extra good.

Lime ricotta creme - Made it with stevia, which is the only non-sugar sweetener I really want to use. It was not amazing, but decent, and I was surprised not to get too much aftertaste from the stevia.

Mocha ricotta creme - Ditched the coffee and added more cocoa powder as well as some slivered almonds. Made it ahead of time and let it sit in the freezer for a few hours. Pretty tasty! (Not sure if more cocoa powder violates the diet or not, but it was good!) Made it without the almonds for myself today, eating some right now!

Easy chicken saute (or something like that) - dh made this, and decided to add some red bell peppers to it. Surprisingly tasty. Had leftovers for lunch today.

I was going to make salmon tonight (this is my favorite recipe - and super easy!), along with roasted peppers and eggplant, but we're in a time crunch, so we'll have to eat out. Off to research what we can eat somewhat quickly that sticks to the diet!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
#36 of 41 Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM

I was down 1.1 lbs this morning! Woohoo!! I was actually thinking that I might end up gaining a little, since we went out to dinner (Rockfish) and I'm not sure everything I ate was in line with the diet. I had black beans, asparagus, and grilled mahi mahi with lemon butter sauce. I asked them not to bring the rice pilaf that it comes with, but they did, anyway. I resisted eating it, even though I was still a little hungry. Luckily, the butter sauce came on the side without me even thinking to ask. So I was able to dip in it, instead of having it all over. It was totally delicious, but I stopped myself from slathering the fish in it. There was still at least half of the little container left when I was done eating, so I felt okay about it, even though I probably should have totally skipped it. Dry fish is a bit boring.

Trying to convince myself to fix some salmon for lunch/dinner (dh won't be home for either), but I've felt very bleh this morning, so I don't know. I made a variation of the Western Egg omelet, which dh seemed to like all right, but I don't think it sat well with my tummy for some reason. :(

Any progress reports, sunbright? Anyone else want to join back in?

#37 of 41 Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Okay, well, we took a very quick trip to Vegas this weekend for our friends' 11-11-11 wedding, and were mostly very good, but the Bellagio brunch buffet got us a bit. Our first two plates were South-Beach compliant, but then we both very selectively picked some off-diet things to try, since we'll probably never go back. I didn't weigh while I was gone, or yesterday, but I weighed this morning and I'm actually down about .3 lbs from when we left, so I'm calling it a victory! I'm only down about 2 lbs, so I'm fairly doubtful I'll lose more than 4 or 5 lbs in Phase I, but I figure the more you have to lose, the fast you lose to begin with, and I don't have that much to lose.

I am so sick of eggs for breakfast!!!! Is there anything besides eggs I can eat?? I literally had celery and (ground-peanuts-only) peanut butter for breakfast yesterday, because the thought of more eggs turned my stomach.

Oh, and after reading through this whole thread, I wanted to comment that I haven't really been doing any sort of portion control. I took Dr. Agatson (I think that's it) at his word that you should eat until you're full, and I do. And I have nuts more than once a day. So maybe that is hindering my progress a little, but I FEEL better - I'm not hungry often, I don't crave things as much, not quite as tired - so I count that as a victory. If the pounds come off a little slower, so be it. I think my dh is down about 3 lbs now, but he doesn't acknowledge anything as real weight loss until it's at least 5 lbs. Otherwise, he says you can't trust the scale.

Anyway, pressing forward with week 2 of Phase I! Hoping Thanksgiving next week doesn't derail us too much!

#38 of 41 Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Well, I guess I am going on the hCG diet now - I got my BFP about a week ago! Obviously, I can't prove anything, but I do think the 7 lbs I lost with South Beach (and the improved blood sugar levels, since I have PCOS) helped with this BFP. I'm more or less sticking to Phase 2 of South Beach for right now. My goal is to only gain 5-10 lbs this pregnancy, since I'm still 20 lbs heavier than I'd like to be. We are living out of a hotel for a few weeks right now, and it is making it really hard to stick to the diet. We had pizza on Monday (I had thin crust, although dh went for the pan crust), and honestly... it made me sick. That could just be the brand of pizza it was, but I definitely did not feel good after eating it. It made me realize I don't miss pizza that much!

#39 of 41 Old 11-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Sorry for the delay in my post. I am now down to 129 lbs!  It is amazing.  This really works!  The last pair of pants that I bought at Express were size 4!  I haven't seen that size in a VERY long time.  I have to re-stock on my groceries.  I have been cheating this past week.  I have been eating tons of junk food (which I am not suppose to have)!  I have to get back on track with a quickness!

#40 of 41 Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Hey, nice to hear from you again! I had my baby in August, and am back on a semi-SB diet. Will check in with more later!

#41 of 41 Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM

I have been on  a hybrid New Atkins and South Beach diet!  Congratulations on the baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page