What do you do to "tone up"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have about 5-10 lbs I'd like to use but more than that I'd like to tone up, mostly around my middle and bum.  The things I have been doing to this point aren't working the way I want. Willing to put 30 minutes a day or so into it but would prefer something I can do at home. I'm just better at being consistent if I can do it when ever there is time or is convinient.

Thanks for any advice!!

#2 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM

I have two suggestions depending on what kind of equipment you have access to.  One of my favorite workout videos is the 30Day Shred.  It can definitely help you if you want to do something that lasts about 25 min each day (that includes warm-ups and cool-downs) and you just need some hand weights and nothing else. 

If you have access to a gym I'd whole heartedly suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women.  I've been doing this almost two months and haven't really lost much weight but I HAVE lost a lot of inches and really look much more "toned".  It's all about heavy lifting and is only 3x a week for about 30 min each (although your workouts do eventually get longer).  You can even do 2x a week if time is tight.  They have food suggestions too (but I follow my own meal plans) but the workouts are fun and I've seen a huge improvement in my strength.  thumb.gif Plus the author is just entertaining in general. 

#3 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 AM

I also suggest the 30 Day Shred.  It's intense, but gets results (especially in the stomach and bum areas), and is short.  I never lose weight while I'm on it, but I always tone up and notice a difference after just a few days (without changing my diet). 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#4 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'll look into the 30 min shred! Not too worried about pounds, and not too interested in changing my diet. I already do smoothies, vitamins lots of water and TONS of veggies, but open to a change to it or an add to it.

I can't really do heavy lifting as I have a low lying uterus and lifting tends to push it down but I'm not fragile, so open to something intense :D I used to LOVE working out but now I don't have time for kick boxing classes or martial arts, lol! I try to do it at home but it doesn't go very well without someone to keep me at it.

#5 of 12 Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM

30 DS is great, but so are her other dvds. Jackie Warner has dvd's too that I really like where you can work out the entire 40 min, or just pick 15 min workouts for specific areas; abs, lower, upper, etc. Her xtreme timesaver dvd is only 30 min and it's a good workout toot. I also really love Cathe's dvds but I think they might all be longer. Her kickboxing dvd, kick,punch and crunch, is tough but you might like it since you said you enjoy kickboxing!

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#6 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If your uterus is low, I would highly suggest avoiding many of the 30DS exercises. The jumping jacks and crunches, in particular. I would work on reading the Mummy Tummy book about safe activities for diastasis and POP and low uterus. Then I would work on safer exercises such as sideways walking, lunges without bouncing, the Tracey Mallet Lose The Belly Flab DVD, and bellydance ("don't bother tucking your pelvis" is usually the advice for low uteri). Trust me, my uterus is retroverted and a tiny bit low postpartum and 30DS did not end well for me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 AM

There is a series of DVD's about Rexercises and one of them is for women and bladder/uterus issues.  I don't remeber anything about them other than Rexercises.  I have the DVD somewhere, but I memorized the 20 minutes of stretching and don't watch the DVD anymore.  I'll see if I can find it in the next day or two and post the title.  It's great.  I feel much better. 

I also did the 30 Day Shred (modified for me) and lost about 10 lbs on it.

#8 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_oiseau View Post

I'll look into the 30 min shred! Not too worried about pounds, and not too interested in changing my diet. I already do smoothies, vitamins lots of water and TONS of veggies, but open to a change to it or an add to it.

I can't really do heavy lifting as I have a low lying uterus and lifting tends to push it down but I'm not fragile, so open to something intense :D I used to LOVE working out but now I don't have time for kick boxing classes or martial arts, lol! I try to do it at home but it doesn't go very well without someone to keep me at it.

I really love it but I'd just run it by your doctor first just to be on the safe side.  Good luck,  I really noticed my body composition and strength increasing after I started it!

#9 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

If your uterus is low, I would highly suggest avoiding many of the 30DS exercises. The jumping jacks and crunches, in particular. I would work on reading the Mummy Tummy book about safe activities for diastasis and POP and low uterus. Then I would work on safer exercises such as sideways walking, lunges without bouncing, the Tracey Mallet Lose The Belly Flab DVD, and bellydance ("don't bother tucking your pelvis" is usually the advice for low uteri). Trust me, my uterus is retroverted and a tiny bit low postpartum and 30DS did not end well for me.

Thanks! My uterus must be in a better position now because I can do crunches now without suffering afterwards. I will still not risk jumping jacks or anything too up and down.   Will look into the other ones you suggested! biggrinbounce.gif

#10 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM

How about body weight exercises? Squats, lunges, push-ups, dips, and you can do bicep curls with dumbells. I am a big fan, it defintitely will tone you up and increase strength.

#11 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Like the previous posters.. I too suggest the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. I really noticed a big change in just a WEEK. It can be pretty intense though so it was hard for me to keep up with it every day.. but it definitely delivers good results quickly!

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#12 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Amen to these!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post

How about body weight exercises? Squats, lunges, push-ups, dips, and you can do bicep curls with dumbells. I am a big fan, it defintitely will tone you up and increase strength.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page