Runners HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I haven't been on these boards in so very long!!!  I have a question.  I am looking into permanent birth control.  Our family is complete and I am tired of having to take a pill every day.  So I went in for a consult and my provider offered two suggestions.  One, Filshie clamp - a titanium clamp that is affixed to the tube or a salpingectomy, removal of the tubes.  I am worried about having a foreign object in my body, but if I remove the tubes, are the ovaries unstable.  I am a runner and triathlete and am really worried as to how this will affect my ability to do these things.  So, I am wondering if any other running mama's have had either of these procedures and what advice you may have.  

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 PM

What about a copper IUD?  It has no hormones and lasts for 10 years.   My spiel about it is always go to someone who is *very* experienced inserting them (like, ask for the number - over 100 would be my personal preference).   It's not that they're that difficult to insert, but they're not super common these days.   I *loved* mine - had it for 8 years, no side effects (some people have side effects).   I could be active, spontaneous sexually, and not ever worry about getting preggo, or having my hormones messed with. 

good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Removing your tubes wouldn't cause your ovaries to become unstable, either physically or from a functional standpoint (not sure what you mean by "unstable.") Your ovaries aren't held in place by the tubes and they (the tubes) do not produce any hormones.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-22-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm a runner and had my tubes tied, and portions of them removed, for permanent birth control.  It has not affected my running in any way.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

I'm a runner and had my tubes tied, and portions of them removed, for permanent birth control.  It has not affected my running in any way.

Ditto. In fact, I'm running faster than ever!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I had an essure and it's not been an issue.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM

I have a mirena and it hasn't impacted my running at all.  It's a foreign body I suppose, but also releases hormones

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm not a runner but an athletic yogini. I tried the Mirena but the hormones really bothered me. I much prefer the Paragard the non-hormonal IUD.  Just my 2 cents!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Paraguard is the copper T IUD.  I had one for several years, and the only real side effect was heavier flow and increased mid-cycle spotting.  However, it is not good for a "set it and forget it' mentality.  I was never in the habit of checking to see if the string was in place and at some point the IUD fell out!  Luckily DH had already been snipped by then.

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

User Tag List