Measuring distance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been walking/running one specific route and I can't figure out how long the actual distance is. If I use my ipod nike kit it says I'm going about 1.65 miles, google pedometer about 2.2 miles and if I drive the route my van says 3 miles even. Which do I believe? TIA!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 AM

I would use the distance measured by your car...The odometer actually measures the distance that the car is going based on tire rotations, rather than trying to piece it all together using, often wonky, satellite data (which sometimes thinks I am in a different state or off-road when I am not). That said, I guess that I would also use my internal guage given my speed and time walking, given the big difference in readings.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM

You could try this website

www.mapmyrun.com 

I have found it to be pretty usefull, although I'm not entirely sure how accurate.  Also you can select the off road function and that allows you to map trails/paths that cars can't drive on.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#4 of 4 Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM

I second map my run... It's been very accurate when I've been able to compare it to my car's odometer, so I tend to trust it when on a trail, etc.  It's measured the runs to within a tenth of a mile that my car's odometer measures on distances of 4 miles.... so pretty accurate, I'd say. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page