June is a great time for running -- June Dingo thread.... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 381 Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Anyone have a hard time regulating their temperature after a long run?  I had lots of troubles in the winter, and I figured it was largely a result of spending so much time outdoors in cold temps.  Today I finished the 12 miles at 74F.  I also weighed myself before and after, and replaced the 6 pounds of fluid that went missing in those two hours with water + EmergenC.  (& eggs & sausage & toast & potatoes & coffee w/cream).  Yet, all day today, I've been sitting under a blanket if the a/c is on, and I've been wearing slippers on the hardwood floors.  Otherwise, I feel fine.  Not even sleepy like I often am after upping the miles.

RR: 

(How is the above not running related?) Did you shower after the run? Whenever I get warm or cold I need a bath to regulate my temp. Apparently I need the 10 minutes at the same temp to feel better. WTG on the 12 mile run!

I showered today and spent longer than I normally do naked in front of the mirror. I should really do that more often.

I didn't run today. Instead I spent 2 hours gardening and I'm sore all over. Someone pressed the "on" button for summer. Thursday and Friday I was wearing long sleeves and pants. Today and yesterday: 75 and sunny. It was time to get the tomatoes out in the yard and a friend was passing along a bunch of perennials + squash. I have a strict policy of planting whatever I bring home on that very day so I needed to rearrange the garden to allow for all those new plants. It isn't perfect, but it is better.

Mel that bump sounds crazy. I have no idea.

Sparkle hope the pt helps soon.

And now I'm off to plan my week. Geo: I think we won't be able to connect. My kids were moaning and groaning about the drive the day after the flight....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 381 Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Sparkle, my hair is also falling out. I am blaming many stressors. I've been told desalinated water makes people here lose hair, but I'm humming when people say that, and like I said, chalking it up to stress. Your illness, career-changing and general stresses could easily be causing your hair to fall out. I've had it happen before.

Geo, I also have temp trouble after long runs, no matter the season. I get cold, and nothing really warms me up for the rest of the day. Next day, I am always fine.

Got the shoes on, heading down to the gym, and then dragging my kids to the beach this morning. Dd is such a crank. eyesroll.gif

#63 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

(How is the above not running related?) Did you shower after the run? Whenever I get warm or cold I need a bath to regulate my temp. Apparently I need the 10 minutes at the same temp to feel better. WTG on the 12 mile run!

I showered right away, though it was fast because I was taking DS out to breakfast.  However, each of the last several long runs I've taken long showers with much of the same problem.

One more:  Anyone get post-long run insomnia?  I'm about 50-50 of not sleeping through the night after a long run.  Otherwise I feel fine.  Not sore or stiff at all. I'm not particularly thirsty or hungry, just wide awake.

Bummer about the visit. :(  Are you staying through the weekend or even Friday?  Can we drive to meet you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

A Flicker? Or some other woodpecker relative...

That's it!  Northern flicker.  Dingos rock.

#64 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 AM

Morning Dingos.

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL WITH STUDENTS TODAY!!!! Yeah, I'm yelling that! energy.gif

Actually I will miss some of them very, very much. But I have never been so unequivocally happy about the school year ending. I'm ready to move forward.

Oh, as for Spain...it was part of a promo thing for race directors. So not really 100% self-gratification.

I did manage my run yesterday, did 11 miles despite the neck thing. Oddly during the run (once I stretched a bit and warmed up) it was fine. It cramped up again in the night so now I'm uncomfortable. I get these sometimes and they totally suck but eventually they go away. You want to know something weird? When I had the Mirena IUD I had it all. the. time. The entire year I had that thing in, I had neck cramps. Localized hormones, my butt. I was a mess from that. Progesterone and I do NOT get along.

I got a shipment of kosher beef the other day (grass fed etc.) and we had  a bbq last night. It was fun but man, oh man, it did NOT agree with me. I have not had red meat in nearly a year and I guess my body -- although craving it -- cannot deal with it very well. So today we have an easy light eating day.

I am wearing a great running shirt today my students bought me. It says "She Kicks Butt" lol.gif They want me to play basket ball and run with them today so I guess we will. Last day and all...

Good Day Dingoes!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#65 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Bummer about the visit. :(  Are you staying through the weekend or even Friday?  Can we drive to meet you?

Sharing this here vs. email because (a) it is exciting and (b)the story is cute.

(a) Erik and I are going to a wedding in Erie, Pa. and we're leaving the kids with Gma and Gpa. That's it, we'll be KID-FREE, 100% kid free, overnight. For the first time in 8.5 years!  Woot!

(so I don't know our travel plans yet).

(b). Last night we were talking about it and Leah really wants to come. She especially wants to come because she wants to visit her 92 year old almost blind Great Grandma (we call her Nana). It went something like this:

Erin - "How long is the drive, because I want to see Karen, but I want to know what I'm getting into."

Me - About as long as to Anika's house (her cousin).

Erin -- I don't remember it being that long?

Me - That's because last time we left Nana's house and went from there. She's pretty close to Nana. Also she's pretty close to Natalie (BBM's daughter).

Leah - (smiling and jumping up and down) can we go see Nana?

So Friday is a possibility. I need to talk to Erik about our travel plans and what he has going on. I think he made plans for us on Thursday, but I just need to check in.

#66 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM

Geo ~ I occasionally have trouble sleeping after long runs and long rides, especially if I did them later in the day.  It's irritating.

kerc ~ WOOT on the kid-free night!!!!

Nic ~ happy last day of school!!!!  You've taught those kids more than they realize.

Jo ~ glad to hear that you're running smile.gif.

RR ~ 3.1 miles this morning.  Man, am I slow at 6:00am, but I really am enjoying running first thing.  I am also going to go to spin class later this morning, but it feels good to have a run in the books already.

Kids are bugging me for the computer, so gotta go!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#67 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Nic ~ Have a good last day!!!

Jo ~ Thinking of you!  I hope things smooth out.

NRR~Back to the grind this week.. I could tell it was a Sunday night because I slept awful.  I was up every hour or so from 1-6, dd was awake for an hour in the middle of the night having a snack, and the girls will be here in about 5 minutes for the day.  We are still awaiting news about estimates on the house, but I think we are going to counter offer a lower price because of the work needed and take it from there.

Wednesday is the big ultrasound. babyboy.gif babygirl.gif

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#68 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Kerc, that is so cool that your DD is so excited to see her great-grandma! I love that.

JG, definitely, that is a great way to kick-start the day. says the lady who bagged on her RP at 6 am...
Jen, I'm hoping everything goes smoothly with the counter-offer. Buying can be so stressful, but chances are good that the sellers will work with you, right?

Nick, HOORAY for the last day of school with students!

No running today and probably tomorrow, too. The bump on my knee is gone, but I just feel wary of the whole thing and want to take it easy. Besides, I was short on swimming and biking last week, so that's what I'll focus on this week.

Now back to work!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#69 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Geo - I have always had trouble sleeping after long runs/hard workouts, and I have discovered what I think is the cause, and may also have to do with your temp regulation. I will give you the very short version: I think it has to do with stress on the hypothalamus. The reason I think this is a long story. Its possible to undo that stress, but in lieu of that, you could try taking Cal-Mag nearing bedtime. I typically take mine then, one around dinner and one right after the kids go to bed, so by the time Im ready to sleep I have about 500 mg. of Mag. on board. It helps

More later, I have to get these kids and myself ready and out the door. Weight circuit today. Dh will take kids to 3 different places/camps but I do ALL the prep (breakfast, clothes, lunches, sunscreen, paperwork) and then WAKE HIM UP when they are all ready to go :eyeroll Better get back to it

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#70 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Chalk me up as another one who has trouble sleeping after long runs/rides. Heck, even after dancing hard at a wedding. bag.gif

No luck on meeting up with mandy yesterday...it sounds like she had too much fun over the weekend to squeeze it in. winky.gif

Trying to get my day/week planned out, and I can't believe how crazy busy it is. I have no idea where I'm going to fit some runs in, even though I desperately need to. I'm so focused on this bike ride (as well I should be) that I keep forgetting that I have a half-ironman two weeks after. Which, you know, involves RUNNING A HALF-MARATHON.

Nonetheless, I think I'm going to skip the run today and do spin class and a swim at the Y. And then run about 12 errands before a meeting tonight. Back to class tomorrow, whoopee.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#71 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
bec

It is very typical of me to not be able to regulate my body temperature after a long run, regardless of whether I have showered.  I also have a hard time settling down to sleep if I have a workout later in the day. 

Speaking of sleeping, I am so tired!  I really slept in this morning, but am still so sleepy!!! I'm going in search of coffee!  Planning a mostly rest day today.  The kids want to go to the pool, which will happen this afternoon when it heats up.  I think wrangling them will be enough exercise for today!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#72 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Another who has a hard time sleeping.   As an extra bonus, it also hits me after a birth, even if I've been up for days.  I swear it has something to do with residual adrenaline.

Finishing my academic submissions for the quarter today.  Did less than I should.  I suck at self paced academics, big time.

Did 5.5 yesterday, in the weekend tradition of leaving my house and running to somewhere/until I hit my desired distance, then calling DH to pick me up.  This is so much easier on me mentally than looping during the week.  I've implemented some tweaks to my form as suggested by the PT after the horrific treadmill incident.  I'll be damned if it isn't working.  I feel like I'm somehow squatting when I'm running, but I did a bit of work in front of a mirror and I don't look nearly as weird as it felt when I started, and now it's coming naturally.  I'm landing way lighter, my legs are tired but equally so, I feel like I have more power, and I don't have any lingering pain after a run.  When I got home, I slapped on the new VFF's and did .30 mile, and suddenly felt like I could actually run some distance in them at some point.  I could feel my calves, but no lingering soreness, so I'm going to add a bit of distance in them gradually.  Is it wrong that I wish they were less ugly?

Back to the Y today, my first real day back at my regular time.  I'm expecting to see a million people I know- the place really is like family instead of a snooty club.  I'm half excited, half dreading it, just because it's going to be a lot of people I know and haven't seen in a year.  Kind of like walking back into Cheers after a year away.  Then off to Costco with Courtney, who has the day off of school- because their school trip ran into a Saturday, they had to give the teachers today off as a trade for working a weekend day, as the district doesn't have the money to pay them for extra time. In the same vein, Ellie gets out of school a week before Courtney because their school is moving buildings, and using those last days of school (snow make up days) is the only way they can give the teachers paid moving time.  Oh, the joys of budget cuts!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#73 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Ca/Mg, huh.  That's a good suggestion -- I'll try it.  Certainly can't hurt, right?  Thanks.

#74 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Nic, have a terrific last day!

memiles, I think the VFFs are ugly, too. I like some of the pretty barefoot shoes, but have yet to see pretty runners.

kerc, have an awesome kid-free night! And hopefully a great visit with Geo.

tjsmama, good luck finding run times!

Jen, I'm guessing girl :)

I sleep like a rock. Anywhere, anytime. The only time I've ever had insomnia was around the time I night-weaned each kid. I should have withdrawn from the oxytocin sleep more slowly...

RR- Waiting for a call from the acupuncturist for a visit this week. And otherwise gardening like and counting it as my workouts...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#75 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Hi !! I missed the end of may and beginning of June. I read to catch up but can't remember all I wanted to post on. For some reason I have not gotten email updates again.

RR: ran 7+ this morning then did weights and body weight work out.

My friend has asked me to train her so she has started coming over 3 times a week. It has been fun Shari g work outs with her. She had gastric bypass 8 years ago and has lost a ton of weigh already.

#76 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
bec

Well, the rest day turned into a 5+ mile run in 90+ degree heat and humidity!  Good hot weather training, but phew! It came because my husband is working from home, and my friend is going to be leaving town to travel around the country while her kids are staying with grandparents for the next month or so (they do this every summer).  Her job is such that she just needs a wifi connection and a laptop.  So, she's planning on camping and driving around on her own.  I'm really jealous of her being able to do this, and think it is going to be an amazing trip for her, but I'm going to miss her like crazy.  So, when the opportunity came up to get out with her, I jumped at it!  We were going to have a small bike ride as well, but the heat slowed our run down to such an extent that I needed to get back to the kids.  Probably for the best, because she did finish up the bike ride (we had driven to a spot, run home and were planning on riding back to get the car) and said there was a horrific headwind.  She really struggled with that 15 minute bike ride back!  Anyway, I took the kids to the pool and we all cooled off.  It was fun.  It's a nice community pool (exactly what JG wants) with slides, a lazy river, but enough space for kids to spread out.  We saw a bunch of kids that we knew, so it was nice for all the kids.

I meant to comment on the toe.  Penelope - Wear your sandals and don't worry about what your toe looks like!  If it is sensitive, you could always put a bandage, but appearance should have no bearing on it!

Nic - Enjoy your last day!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#77 of 381 Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Hey, Dingos!

Geo, I am usually cold after a run.  Right now I am wearing a long sleeve T and it's 75-80.

Which means.. I ran today!  First time in a week and I am glad I got out there.  It was too dang hot, and a struggle.  But I got out and that's good enough for me!

Jen- Yay on the US!  Are you finding out the sex?  Sharing that info??  :)

#78 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 AM

woot! WTG, Nemesis!

memiles, I am glad you're feeling good back "home" at the Y. I miss mine, for sure. In a short time, I had some peeps there. And it was just such a nice, relaxed place. And now, as I try to price fitness joints here, I realize what a bargain my $64/month was for a family membership.

RM, very cool that you're helping your friend with her fitness. And awesome that she's taking the next step to build her cardio and strength now that she can. This is wonderful.

JenLove, lurk.gif

Third for three today. I did 40 min of intervals on the elliptical, secretly racing the calorie count of a woman on a bike next to me who started 15 minutes before I did. It wasn't personal, but I don't have music anymore, TV is news, sports or really, really misogynistic Arab music videos. So between intervals and a "calorie race," I had something to fixate on besides "holy heck, this is dull and I can't do anything physical outside." Which isn't true; I can swim. But I'm still not comfortable enough swimming that I can do a proper cardio workout that way. Without drowning. Anyway, after above cardio, I did my squats, bicycle crunches, leg lifts and stretches.

And I figured out the hip: it's textbook, word-for-word bursitis. It's been how many months (6? 7?) and the pain has essentially gone from sharp to dull. It hurts when I stand up from sitting (particularly in the car), and when I lie on my side (either side, worse on the injured one). When we get moved in, I am going to find a PCP and try to see about a cortisone shot. Might also get one for the trigger finger, which has been locking up often. I wonder whether I just have some sort of generalized, anxiety-caused whole-body inflammation.

And I have a plan to manage all that: a house close to the beach. winky.gif With jasmine-shaded walking paths to the chilled pool, a quiet garden, a public library up the street, and two green, beautiful public parks within walking distance (in sub-40-temps, anyway). I'm starting to feel ready to write. I think dh's 3-weeker to Saudi will be when I really get going. Did I mention that, like an idiot, I posted my resume online and got an inquiry almost immediately? duh.gif I don't think this position will pan out anyway; pretty sure it's FT, which I won't do. And my relocation pro reassured me that I should a) wait; and b) work PT, freelance, from home. Because the opportunities will be there, if I want them, once I start networking. And I want at least a semester free with the kids in school and dh working, to develop a strong relationship with the beach--ahem, I mean the neighbors. orngtongue.gif But nice to have the ego stroke for the qualifications.

Meeting a new friend today. Thrilled for dd to be meeting another 7yo, and hoping to just have a relaxing visit inside a home! Inside an actual home for only the second time since we came here. OMG.

Great day to you ladies...blowkiss.gif

#79 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM

Jo, it sounds like some swim lessons could be a good investment for you.  I took lessons a few years ago with the stated goal that I wanted to be able to swim laps for exercise.  My teacher got my stroke enough more efficient that I could build from there.  I still do free style one direction and breast stroke the other way, but I can count on being able to get a workout there when it's too hot to run outside.

I took Ca before bed last night, and despite the fact that I woke up at midnight, I did manage to go back to sleep.  So maybe there's something there?  I'd need to get some Mg to try that as well.

#80 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Geo ~ glad the Calcium worked for you!

Jooj ~ I agree with Geo that a set of swimming lessons, just to be comfortable in the water, might be just what you need.  Kudos to you for getting on the elliptical and doing the best with what you've got there!  How's your DD faring with the heat?  Hopefully she's becoming better acclimated.

Nemesis ~ Yay for a run!!!

bec ~ SO envious of your community pool!!!!

RM ~ I think you'd make a great trainer.  Have fun!

memiles ~ cool on the VFFs.  Have you seen the Merrell barefoot running shoes?  They don't have individual toes, but have the same sole as VFFs.  The Mary Jane style is SO cute, but not for running.  The runners aren't bad looking either though...  I'm thinking about getting a pair.

No run this morning greensad.gif.  I woke up with a terrible sore throat, earache, swollen gland in my neck and a one-sided headache.  Hope it goes away.  Lots of other stuff to do today, including making the LAST payment on my backyard!  Yes, that means it's DONE!  I'll take pictures  and post later, because I need some ideas on what to do with it.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#81 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Nemesis ~ Yes, we plan on finding out the sex.  I am sure it will be on facebook/twitter tomorrow night. :)

Jo ~ That darn hip.  Have you looked into maybe a gf or paleo/primal diet to relieve inflamation?

I'm off to finish up the things for our tea party today.  GF bread and egg salad, homemade granola bars, gf and sugar free brownies, gf and sugar free zucchini muffins, and fruit salad and veggie sticks.  I made sun tea and then we'll have a pot of hot tea too.  I hope it's fun for the girls. :)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#82 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Jenlove - that tea party sounds so good! yummy.gif

Jo - oh my, your new house will be lovely. Take some swim lessons girrrl! And congrats on the ego boost winky.gif

Jaygee - I hope whatever is going on resolves quickly and easily. Bummer!

Geo - lol.gif I dont know if Ca does anything, except for my bones. I just take my Ca/Mag together b/c they come in the same pill. Mag is a muscle/anxiety relaxer, which means it can cause loose stools and/or cramping if you take too much. I find that over 800 mg. does that but my Ca/Mag pill is 500/250, so two of those two hours apart in the evening and I have 500 mg of Mag in before bed shrug.gif Works for me ..... that said, I am in the progesterone phase (hello coma) of my cycle and waking at 6am at the latest. Whatev. Too much exercise lol.gif

RR: Yesterdays weight circuit was hard! Its the same one I do all the time, but I was breathing hard after each set and yawning A LOT. Clearly I wasnt getting enough O2, but why that happened I dont know. I did lose a few pounds last week (3; not trying, just running around I guess) so maybe Im glycogen deficient. Must eat eat.giflol.gif

With weights I do mostly what the trainer showed me that one time, and then mix it up with some stuff I want to do (pull ups). Her stuff is all using multiple muscle groups and often moving across the mid-line in the same activity, so there is lots of balance and by default core involved. Some I cant stand (hard) and I just push through, and others I love because I feel so strong and feel it working. One of those is to get in plank/push up position with each hand on one dumb-bell/bar-bell (?) - I do 15lb in each - so you know, you are gripping the handle in each hand, and then you do "lawnmowers", so pull one weight up off the floor like you are starting a lawnmower, but make sure to keep your hips completely flat and parallel to the floor. No tipping from side to side. Dont use your back! (use your sucked in core for balance)

Today I am considering going for a, wait for it .... run! I would do some form of walking and running, probably on a 4 mile loop I like. Im nervous about the knee/leg, so not sure if this is very wise. I just wanna. Alternately, dh really wants me to go on a bike ride with him. Did I tell you he got me a road bike for my bday (March). I havent used it yet. So he's been very eager to get me on it. Sigh. I just dont love riding around here.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#83 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Morning Dingos!

JenLove - That sounds like quite a feast!  How old are the girls you're entertaining?

Geo - It's been so long since I've done a long run I might be having false memory syndrome but I think I had that all-over chill after anything over 12 miles.  It was like my body had spent all it had for the day so homeostasis was too much to ask.

JayGee - I'm sorry about that pool.  It sounds disgusting and I'd have been livid to pay that much to get in and find it overcrowded and filthy.  too bad they don't have an occupancy limit.  Maybe you can find out the cleaning schedule and try on a fresher day.

Penelope - Late to the party but of course you should wear whatever is comfy.  If someone gets grossed out that's the price they pay for over-nosiness.

Bec - What a play area!  My kids would be in heaven!  In fact, you've inspired me to figure something out for them.  One more week of school to get it done.

Jo - I'm impressed that you're getting fitness in with all the newness.  It sounds lovely and the reverse of all the popular left-the-corporate-life-of-luxury-to-live-the-small-farm-life memoir - It sounds like a perfect place to get down to quieter business, I can't wait to read your book.

Memiles - I got myself a pair of VFFs from that link you posted too.  Thanks!  And yeah, they're weird all right. Looking anyway.  they're super comfy, today I'm going to try an actual run in them.  I just got plain black because I thought they'd be the least obviously strange.

MelW - I hope you get a do-over for a quiet solo weekend.  It's just not fair to be looking forward to that and have it whisked away.  At least the weather was as nice as I've ever seen it here, wasn't it? 

Nic - congrats on your year.  I know it will hardly go down in your history as a favorite but it seems to have really set the stage for you becoming more sure of yourself.  I'm a little skeptical about the race-directing-as-excuse-for-Spanish-vacay.  Maybe it's time to say you get to book your trip because A) you're an adult and B) you want to go.

Dh and I had a really good time being away.  The kids were fine with my mom and the weather could not have been more perfect.  We'd gone off-island on Friday afternoon and did some thrift shopping and found a nice little burger bar for beers and off-the-wagon chow.  Then we stayed in mt. Vernon for the night so I could return some stuff I'd bought on my last off-island trip.  Lucky we did too because at 6:20am on Sat I suddenly realized the tickets to the U2 concert were still in the safe in dh's office! I did one of those epinephrine-to-the-heart-style gasping wake ups.  Happily everyone was already awake at home when we called and they got the tickets and gave them to a nice couple who were walking on the 8 am boat so we just met their ferry and got the envelope.  Whew!  But it would have really sucked had we jetted straight on down to Seattle on Friday night.  The concert was fantastic, as expected.  I've seen U2 4 or 5 times before but not since the early 90's but the rest of the audience had aged right along with me and the band which was simultaneously comfortable and weird.  We were down on the field and so ended up standing for a little of 5 hours in about a 1/5 sq. ft space.  But it was exciting to be so close.  Of course our camera battery died as soon as dh tried to snap some shots of Lenny Kravitz but that was just as well I think, I was happy to just have nothing to do but enjoy the moment.  The next morning we were both so tired and stiff it was ridiculous so we puttered around slowly - hitting Lowes and Goodwills as we headed north, missed the first ferry we tried for because I'd forgotten where I'd stashed my wallet with the passes (in the glovebox) - then we both napped hard on the ferry home.

Now back to farm life.  Dh's ducklings are arriving today or tomorrow and so yesterday I spent the day getting the old small chicken coop ready for them.  Its yard was waist deep in thistle to I started with the machete and ended up with the shop vac cleaning out the coop itself.  Today I'll put down fresh straw and figure out their water and food.  I haven't really got a sense of what ducklings need for sleeping.  Do they just sleep on ground?  Meanwhile dh is still planting and working in the garden.  Planting planting planting.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#84 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM

I thought I better sneak some time in to post here because we leave for Disney tomorrow and I might not get back here for a week!

Geo - I get the thermal regulation issue with long runs, and also when ever I'm just plain tired.  I have a hard time ever staying warm in the hospital at night if I'm up late for a delivery.  Hydration doesn't seem to matter for me, it seems to be purely related to muscle fatigue.  I'd be interested to see if the Mag helps.  We'll be in Columbus for an hour tomorrow!  We're changing planes there on the way to Orlando.

Jen - I can't wait to hear about the new sprout/sproutette you have in there!  And that tea party does sound fantastic.

1jooj - Good for you making time to exercise!  And wow, not being in an actual residence that long might put me over the edge - glad you get to visit at least soon.  I'm also glad your resume was jumped on so fast - nice to know you're in demand, even if you're not wanting to meet the demand.

Penelope - how are you hanging in there?  Also, in case it still matters - I'd totally wear sandles with or without toenail.  And if you do lose a nail, once the nail bed heals and toughens up, you can actually put nail polish right on the nail bed and it makes it much less noticable (providing you polish the rest of your nails, too!)

kerc - I hope you get a Geo visit, too.  My kids are really missing the idea of dingo camping this year and Caroline is asking about her little dingo friends.

RR - I've been really spotty the last couple weeks, but I did run the last 2 days.  Even before 8 am, it's over 80 and super humid here.  Apparently after a ridiculous long cold spring, we got instant summer.  I might get to run with Paige (HBM) in Disney!  She and her girls are there now, and will be until Saturday I think, so we're hoping to hook up for a run. 

NRR - I'm a mother-in-law!  My son married his beautiful bride on Saturday.  We had an amazing long weekend of it, and a beautiful wedding in which everything seemed to go pretty perfectly.  I have to hand it to my daughter-in-law - she planned everything down to the littlest detail and there were many little personalized touches.  Despite that, she wasn't the least bit bridezilla about it, and could easily go with the flow if things needed to be changed.  I cried a lot, after thinking I'd be okay - there is something about watcing your son stand at the altar with his hands shaking and jaw quivering watching his bride walk down the aisle.  He also gave a lovely toast to her at the reception, including thanking us (his parents) for showing him what it looks like to be in love, and that got me going again.   I'm linking some photos from the wedding here - hopefully this will work.  Wedding pics.

On a funnier note, my dh gave a little speech at the rehearsal lunch that actually included the phrase "make up sex is great."  It got a big laugh out of the wedding party/family - and a second laugh because Chris and I (who look very much alike) apparently both put our hands to our face and made identical "OMG he didn't" grimaces.

We are leaving for Disney tomorrow.  Catherine's high school band is marching there and performing in Dowtown Disney. 

I'm really looking forward to the downtime, but now kind of freaked out because we found out late last night that the house we're buying in MO did not appraise for what we were supposed to pay for it.  Now dh has to spend the day trying to renegotiate and getting this settled.

#85 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi everyone. I'd like to join in here if that's ok with you.

I used to run more frequently before I had my daughter Valyn in August 2009, since then I put on a lot of weight and didn't get in much running, which I mainly blaming on the lack of sleep!  I've started doing the couch to 5k running plan and I'm on week 4. I love to run and I'm looking forward to getting back in shape again. biggrinbounce.gif

#86 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Just a quick pop in to share:

I RAN! I think it is a 4 mile loop (because its one I used to do with a neighbor as a walk and I mapped it back in the day). I walked maybe 4 blocks of the whole thing, so Im thinking I ran about 3 - 3.5 miles. There were hills, up and down - gradual ones so not too abusive on the leg, and now, THE leg is tender in the achilles (common from the olden days), my hammy is a little achy, and the back of my knee: nothin'. My achilles is a little sore on the OTHER (left) leg too. But some arnica and foam rolling and A.R.T. today (first visit - I hope it proves useful) should ease that. Tomorrow a rest day.

kissy.gif

#87 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Hi gang! 

Jen~congratulations to you and your son!!  How fantastic!

Jenlove~you better share with us!!  :) 

RR: none today, had friends over this morning and stoof outside in heat, sun, humidity for several hours so just came inside to rest.  run and body weight work out planned for tomorrow with my friend. 

NRR; can't think of more right now because 6yo is contstant talking to me right now. 

#88 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

DrJen - That wedding looks lovely!  Congratulations!  Have fun in your downtime, I hope the reappraisal goes smoothly.

So Dingos, I've got a mom-induced dilemma.  I've been carting dd around in the burley very happily and feeling good about getting the exercise and not using gas and setting an active example for the kids etc.  Yesterday I took it over to my mom's to drop off some stuff and it was the first time I guess she realized that I actually use it - with dd in it.  So today she drove over specially, just to beg me not to ever do it again. greensad.gif  She outlined an elaborate worst case scenario in which I am crippled and dd is killed (or maimed or crippled etc).  So now I have that weighing me down and sucking the joy out of what had been a truly joyful thing.  Thanks mom.

So what would you do?  We ride 3 miles to and fro on a country road with a moderate but not overly generous shoulder.  It is winding and hilly and the speed limit is 45 for half of it and 35 or less for the other half.  Seriously the whole thing makes me want to crawl into bed and cry (bad timing since AF is imminent too). 

SIGH

Sparkle - I hope the post-run recovery is a breeze. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#89 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Plady: Do you have a flag for the back still?  I'd ride. Does dd have a helmet? (and you?). What are drivers like there? Here there are a decent number of bikes on the road and people are what we call "Minnesota Nice". Traffic sometimes back up on the highway when the right lane of traffic slows to allow people in the on-ramp to get onto the highway.

It is windy. Great. I'm flying with two kids this afternoon. I hate a bouncy ride. Apparently 20 minutes south of here it is 30 degrees warmer. Helps to explain the strong winds.....

Zip on the exercise front today -- unless you count running around like crazy to get my act together to leave with 2 kids in 2 hours for a week away....

#90 of 381 Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Ditto what kerc said.  Get a flag.  Wear helmets that fit right.

Accident rates on a bike like you're talking about - daytime, good roads, sane rider, etc, are LOW.  The vast majority of bicycle accidents are at night -- seriously, when accidents make the paper, start checking the time of the accident.  In our area, most have been between midnight and 5 am, where both visibility and lack of expectation are factors, along with last call at the bars.  Others occur on blind curves, and as a consequence of not following law (running red lights, riding on the wrong side of the street.)  I prioritize the real health effects on myself, my kids, and the environment over the very small risk of getting hit.  I also ride safer routes with wider roads, keep myself visible, and pick roads where drivers seem to give be a very wide berth.  Finally, the more bikes that are out there actually decreases accident rates.  If your area has a significant population of cyclists, the number of accidents is actually less than in places it's rare. 

If your mom has really gotten under your skin, see if there's a Leave of American Bicyclists course you can take.  They give very real and practical advice on riding safely and confidently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page