June is a great time for running -- June Dingo thread.... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LMB - I love the beads that your son made you because the medal wasn't special enough!love.gif

Real -  They are going to the Wool Market.  If you decide to go, my mom's booth is Handspun By Stefania.  You'll get to meet my parents and my daughter!!!  Plus, all the delicious yarn, wool, baskets, etc.!

Jen - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  Do you have boy names picked out?  Hearing about expecting boys seems so exotic to me, sitting over here with my 3 girls! LOL

Jo - I am loving hearing about all your activity!  I love that you are still prioritizing your exercise in the midst of what must feel like chaos of moving!  It sounds like it is keeping you anchored.

I'm resting here.  It was a kind of lame lake swim workout, but at least I rode my bike to and from.  I have the tri on Sunday, so I'm going to save energy for that.  I also am working tonight, and I am gathering I will be there very late, so I'm resting for that, too!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#122 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM

JenLove ~ YAY!!!  A BOY!!!!!!  Congratulations!  I love having each gender (plus the bonus girl).

I woke up with a horrible cold this morning, so bagged the run and went back to sleep until almost 8:00 winky.gif.  Then spent the rest of the morning moving sprinklers around my yard to water my newly (finally) planted grass.  Fun....  I don't know if a workout will happen today at all, but it's okay if it doesn't.  I am taking zinc and C in hopes that my cold will at least go away faster than the usual 10-14 days.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#123 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Jaygee - regular fish oil? Vit. D is supposed to be an immune booster, and you guys had a lonnng winter. maybe you just need to bust out your bikini at the skanky pool for a few weeks lol.gif

Jenlove - Congrats!!!! Having a boy is definitely a different experience, in a good way orngbiggrin.gif

LMB - that was an inspiring story, well done!

Penelope - I can only imagine how frustrating and scary things are. Thinking of you hug.gif

RR: taking a 2nd day of rest after that run. My knee and ham feel fine, but my achilles hurts so much I have to alter my walking (wearing clogs 'cause that makes the pain much better). I figured I shouldnt put more stress on it, plus, Im just run ragged.

NRR: what do you all think of mammograms? FP said I should be starting them. Feels early to me.... (Im 41)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#124 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM

sparkle ~ I got my first last winter at 42.  It came back abnormal so I had a more in depth mammogram.  Also abnormal.  So I had a sterotactic biopsy which came back normal, but showed something called sclerosing adenosis (a non-cancerous condition in the ducts).  Get one.  Both of my SILs just had masectomies and are undergoing chemo.  They are 50.  Get the mamm....

And no, I will not be busting out the bikini at the skank-o-pool!!!  Perhaps I'll get enough Vit D during my sprinkler moving extravaganza eyesroll.gif.

#125 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Wow thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's going to take me a bit to catch up on all you fabulous ladies! It's inspiring to see how you are all making fitness a priority in your lives and from what I'm reading it seems to have a positive effect on your families too.

JenLove - Congrats to you on the boy. How exciting joy.gif!!

Well I'm still on week 4 of the couch to 5k program. I have 5 minutes and 3 minute running sections interspersed between walking. I've been repeating this because I'm having a really difficult time making it through the last 5 minute jog. For one, it seems that I'm always on the long gradual hill when I hit my last 5 minute run and I just run out of energy to keep going. I've been running in the morning and don't eat before, so I'm sure that's not helping my energy level. And I think I've probably been going to fast during the running sections and probably need to really S L O W it down. Not a good run this morning, but I know I'll get better as the weight comes off and my fitness improves.  Enjoy the rest of the day ladies!

#126 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Just curious, because it hurts or more emotional crying? Sorry if too personal... redface.gif

Totally in an emotional kind of way, though it is more painful than other acupuncture that I've had. The acupuncturinst specializes in "transformational" acupuncture, and connecting physical ailments to emotional issues. Both time I've seen him have been huge emotional responses, but yesterday was more calming (and no crying!). I had acupuncture done when I was pregnant with my first daughter and almost fainted when she started moxibustion. I chalked it up to being pregnant and extra-sensitive to smells, but his theory is that the acupuncture may have started to access something in my subconscious that I wasn't ready to deal with at the time. He says it has only happened to him a few times in his career, and that his inital training taught that fainting was usually due to bad needle placement or "bad" acupuncuture, but his recent studies have lead him to explore the possibility that it's a protective emotional response.

JenLove~ joy.gif (though I would have been happy either way, since I like having two girls...)

Just had a phone call from my DH about a lunch date...hopefully more later

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#127 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM

I ran with D last night.  I was coming off of 12 miles, then 5+track workout.  So to do a super-speedy 3 with hills with D (who keeps 1 min/mile faster pace than C) when it was 90F was painful.  I did it.  Whew.  Oweee.

Today was the last day of school.  DD is at a pizza party that comes after the in class party ('cuz that wasn't enough?!?), so I get to swoop home, grab DS, pick up K, take both to the dr's for their annual check up, run to the library to sign up for summer reading, and get home hoping DH makes dinner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

NRR: what do you all think of mammograms? FP said I should be starting them. Feels early to me.... (Im 41)

Get one.  My colleague just buried his wife last week - she was 42.

DH and I might get a lunch date next week - ironically, 500 miles from home....  It generally happens that when I have work travel (mine tends to be scheduled months in advance), he has some sort of emergency crop up (he only travels on an emergency basis).  We scramble, he short-changes his job by doing an out and back in one day, and everyone is exhausted in the end with his boss resenting my job.  So, I've got a conference next week.  Today DH learns he'll probably have to head out to approve a drop test on short notice, probably right in the middle of my trip.  So, he'll be at the amusement park half a mile from my conference resort for this drop test....

#128 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
bec

Funny place for a date, Geo!  lol.gif 

As far as the mamm - I have not had one and tend to ignore doctors, but know that I should get one starting in the next few years.  I'm 37, so I figure I have a few years yet!  My grandmother had breast cancer, though, so it is something I do want to take seriously!  I have been riding on the nearly a decade of continuous lactation as my main form of protection!

Shannon - Slowing down is the hardest thing to do as you start to get into longer stretches of the C25k.  Something to keep in mind, though, is that, while it is totally fine to repeat weeks, and a great way to build up endurance if you need to do it a bit slower, is to try the first run of the next week and just see how it goes.  If it is spectacularly hard, go back.  Sometimes, though, it works out.  Good luck, either way!!!  It's so exciting to start seeing yourself be able to go longer, isn't it?

#129 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM

My thoughts on mammograms:  I put cancer screenings in a far different classification than some other standard MD protocols (no offense, DocJen).  I am flat out shocked at how many women are getting their first pap after they have their first baby, for example.  I'd far rather have a few extra screenings and catch something early, kwim?  

Here is my rant for the day:  WHY ON EARTH are there exactly zero pairs of headphones in my house?  I own 3, personally.  DD1 and 2 each have a pair.  DH has one pair, but I know they are with him at work.  But the others?  NOT HERE.  I just can't run without them.  For I while I let that be an excuse not to work out today.  Then I put on the VFF, did a loop around the block.  Came in inspired enough to find a Jillian Michael's episode on On Demand and did that.  Did another loop.  Then did my PT exercises for my still pathetically weak glute meds (and yes, the pt used the word pathetic).  I then desperately cleaned my house as my hairdresser is coming over to straighten my hair before she goes on maternity leave, an appointment that's been cancelled twice for other babies.  Here is to hoping she doesn't go into labor while doing my hair, but if she does, as her doula and part of her midwifery team, my professional opinion will be to work through it and finish my hair.winky.gif

Tomorrow will be a full run. With music.  And, hopefully, some sunshine.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#130 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM

JenLove, congrats! I find boy-parenting and girl-parenting to have a lot of overlap but also some very clear differences. It's a fun mix. joy.gif

FM: biked 20m this morning, found an online calculator suggesting that is worth 5.7m running. Man. I should just run - it's faster! I had a great time, though. Dh has a meeting during my PT appointment this week, not sure how that's going to go, but I do think I can run tomorrow to give my PT an update about ye olde knees.

No job yet for dh, nor much job-hunting that I can see. He did kind of spend some time cleaning, and kind of spent some time parenting today (I got home from work at 2pm and the kids were having some lunch, but they were at least dressed.) <sigh>

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#131 of 381 Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM

jo~Any way you could mail-order one so you don't have to go hunting?

lmb~My heart totally melted at reading about your DS's finisher's beads. love.gif

sparkle~Get the mammogram.

penelope~hug.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Here is to hoping she doesn't go into labor while doing my hair, but if she does, as her doula and part of her midwifery team, my professional opinion will be to work through it and finish my hair.winky.gif
lol.gif

I survived my first day of work! The morning was crazy, like overwhelming crazy. It kind of terrifies me for when I'm off orientation and trying to take vitals, change linens, help with baths/showers, etc. all by myself! The afternoon slowed down, but still...there were two of us doing one person's job, so that's probably the only reason it slowed down. Everyone seemed really nice, and I especially liked the RNs, although I really didn't spend much time working with them. I think they're really going to help me learn new skills, once I get settled in and able to do all the CNA stuff proficiently on my own. I'm way tired, but it was a good day! Tomorrow...class some more and then another ride!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#132 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post

Here is to hoping she doesn't go into labor while doing my hair, but if she does, as her doula and part of her midwifery team, my professional opinion will be to work through it and finish my hair.winky.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifFunny!  Hey, maybe it will distract her from labor!

Penelope ~ I'm sorry things are so hard at home right now.  I'm thinking of you hug2.gif.

DrJen ~ have a great time at Disney!

tjsmama ~ I'm glad your first day on the the job went well, even if it was pretty hectic.  Good for you for getting those rides in in spite of your jam packed schedule.

Well, I tried to run this morning, but my wake up coffee only served to send me running to the bathroom and by the time I was ready to run, it was too late.  So, now I'll do a short treadmill run at the Y before spin class instead.  I need to find a good 1/2 marathon training plan since I've committed to the St. Louis Rock n' Roll Half in October.  Yikes!  I haven't formally trained for anything since injuring myself in 2009!  I'm a little scared!  Any good training plans to recommend?

#133 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
bec

Gaye - WOOT on the first day of work!

Penelope - You have been in my thoughts, mama. hug2.gif

Memiles - Good luck on the hair!  I think doing hair is the PERFECT early labor activity!!!

JG - I have been really happy with Hal Higdon's training plans.  I have used the beginner and intermediate plans for half marathons, and the mostly intermediate plan for the full.  This last time, I used the beginner plan and stretched it out doing 2 weeks for every week of plan.  It didn't work perfectly, but did work well enough.  I chose to only run 3 days a week, and felt that I was decently prepared.  I wasn't going for time, as I still felt like I was rehabbing my leg.

NRR - I worked a HUGE floor reset last night.  We were at the store until 1am!  We basically had to tear the store down and rebuild it!  It was tough work!  I might be working again tonight (the sales floor). 

#134 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM

RR: ran 6 miles today.  Tried to ramp up the speed for the last two miles to see where the fatigue set in.  I was going to go to seven miles but I barely made it to the restroom at six.  We had run out of fruit and veggies for a few days earlier this week so after hitting the grocery store, I have been trying to make up for it.  I guess it hit me this morning!Yikes!                                          Really trying to decide on the half for a  PR or the full marathon in November.  Either way just trying to prove to myself that my body is still worth something.  Still have to log my miles for the rest of the week.

NRR: dh is on a multi state 1100 mile motorcycle ride Thursday through either Sunday or Monday.  I am super happy he is out having fun.  I really would not like anything to happen to him as I don't want to live life without him.  I missed him last night.  I miss being able to call him at any time. 

DrJen~did I say congrats yet?  Because I sure am thinking it!

Off to hang with my boyz.  Much love!

#135 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM

RM ~ praying for safe returns for your DH

RR ~ 2 mile run, 60 minutes spin class from hell, swimming at the base pool with the kids.  I'm cooked.  And it's date night with DH too!

#136 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Subbing & trying out TapaTalk...

Running a few times a week & loving it...

Weights & yoga a few times a week as well...

Thinking about a race...

And reading only this page's posts. (sorry)

Plady, what's dh looking to do?

Rm, hops your dh has fun and gets home safely.

Jg, let me know what you plan. I'm thinking about a full-Mary plan but I need a 6-month training program. (I know, a bit lofty. rolleyes.gif )

wave.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#137 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
And it's date night with DH too!

here, too. Have fun!

Hello Loft! wave.gif

Gaye, that does sound scary, but I have no doubts that you do an awesome job.

Shannon, repeating weeks is fine. Some of those jumps were a lot to take at once, and it helps to be able to have a do-over week.

Geo, a "drop test" at an amusement park huh.gif Sounds scary! Cool, though, to meet up so far away from home.

Mel, I hope you got that lunch date with your DH.

Bec, work sounds very busy for you right now!

I'm off to swim laps with DH and then dinner and a beer afterward. I really need to get on the bike this weekend, but my usual beginners group is either not going out or they just forgot to notify people... Then again, there's a different, longer ride on Sunday that might be worth waiting for. Biking is doing my knee some good, I think, so I would like to put a little more emphasis on that.

RR: Only ran twice this week, and still feel like babying my knee after last week's strange bump. No pain, though, but I am just über-aware of every twinge, ache or stiffness.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#138 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM

12 miles with C again tomorrow.  Please help:  I need conversation topics.  Silly is fine.  Last week we spent a mile talking about socks, and probably two miles about the relative merits of shorts with and without underwear when using portapotties.  Another stretch was covered by the things that make us compulsive about filling the gas tank at 1/4 instead of E.  I can face another 12 miles easy.  I need better topics, though.

#139 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM

wave.gif, lofty!

geo, I wish I could think of some topics for you. I never seem to not have a topic (aka I talk too much bag.gif), but it's rarely anything planned and probably way too often about myself. redface.gif What about stuff like which historical figure you'd most like to meet and why? That might be good for a mile or two....sorry, not much help here...

It's 8:30 pm and I just woke up from a two hour nap. Not exactly how I planned it, but it's probably not a terrible thing if I start flipping my schedule a little for Sunday night. It will just hurt that much more when I have to get up early tomorrow and Sunday. orngtongue.gif

I had a really nice ride up Lookout Mountain with friends this afternoon. I really love that ride...it's a tough climb, but short, beautiful scenery, yet practically in town. And then we topped it off with nachos and margaritas. Yum!

Tomorrow morning, my quest to become one with my bike continues...orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#140 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

12 miles with C again tomorrow.  Please help:  I need conversation topics.  Silly is fine.  Last week we spent a mile talking about socks, and probably two miles about the relative merits of shorts with and without underwear when using portapotties.  Another stretch was covered by the things that make us compulsive about filling the gas tank at 1/4 instead of E.  I can face another 12 miles easy.  I need better topics, though.

If you had $100 to spend on yourself, what would you buy and why?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#141 of 381 Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
bec

I often have the "What would I do if I won the lottery" conversation.  I've talked about how spiritual running is to me, how I feel closest to whatever divine being there might be while out on a run in a beautiful place.  I'll talk about the kids a LOT.  Men and how dumb they seem to be is a recurring theme.  Followed by things my dog(s) have done.  Landscaping projects, job prospects, How I met my husband. 

Spent 5.5 hours today tearing apart and reorganizing the stock room at work.  It was a TOTAL disaster, and now is really beautiful and a joy to be in!  I'm really proud of my work.  I was mostly just thrown at it and told to organize it and was allowed to just run with it. 

Sleeping in tomorrow, then off to Naperville to packet pickup, expo, and the next day the tri! 

#142 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Geo - craft projects you would like to do someday? House renovations or house design? (I could spend 12 miles talking about what I think I might do to my kids' bathroom someday...)

RR: I ran 3 yesterday and had planned to run 5 but instead walked because my knee hurt. Man...

Taking the kids to a summer art festival today, I think... they have to come with to my PT appointment which feels a little stressful and then dh is doing a church thing 8-3 so we're on our own. Should be a gorgeous day, sunny and 70, so hopefully I can slip in a bike ride in the evening.

I'm leaving town for a month one week from tomorrow, and am not ready, but am looking forward to the break and change of pace. Anyone going to be in/around Boston between the 19th of June and the 3rd of July?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#143 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Geo ~ how you met your husband?  about your wedding?  dumb things you did in high school/college/etc?  birth stories?  food things (I just spent two hours with my neighbor discussing recipes!)  Have a good 12 miler!

bec ~ there is something so satisfying about a huge organizing project like that.  Great job!

Gaye ~ ride on, sister! 

Penelope ~ I'm going to be arriving in Portsmouth, NH on July 3, but probably way to late for us to meet up greensad.gif.  Have fun in Boston!  It's my favorite city.

Mel ~ hope you and DH had a nice date

Mamas, I need help with a sleep issue.  DD2 (who is 5) suddenly wants me to sleep with her every night, all night.  She's too big to co-sleep with me and DH in the bed we have.  Instead she sleeps on a mattress next to my side of the bed.  This has worked great for the last year of so, with her falling asleep on her own and sleeping through the night there.  In the last month, she's been sobbing that she needs to be touching me to fall asleep (ie. legs thrown over my legs, arms wrapped around me...) and wakes up 2-3 more times a night after I manage to move myself to my bed.  The problems here are: a) I never get to spend any alone time with DH since I always seem to fall asleep with her, b) her mattress is killing my back and I wake up every morning in pain, and c) I'd rather sleep with my husband than with a sweaty 5 year old wrapped around me.  Honestly, I think 5 is old enough to not NEED me touching her to fall asleep or stay asleep.  She's not a baby or even a toddler anymore.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom here? 

If I can work the ouch out of my back in the next 10 minutes, I'm going for a run this morning.  If not, then, well, no.

#144 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Kerc -- At the top of my list if I had $100 would be either a new running watch or some duds from Title 9 sports (or Athleta).

JayGee -- hugs to you. I am going through this with my 5 year old as well. But I have been a bit less than patient as I myself am having stress and anxiety at the moment; I've been cuddling with him in his bed til he falls asleep then getting out and holding the line on 'we sleep in our own beds' despite the tantrums. I hate doing this as I have always been very present for my kids even at night, but truth be told I'm ready to blow a gasket myself and can't deal with one more thing like sleep deprivation. We are moving soon, you just moved -- maybe it's a combination of developmental stuff and transitional anxiety? Dd1, my classic high needs kid, is also much more clingy lately -- and she's 10!

Geo -- love the 'what if I won the lottery' idea. Where I grew up, travel experiences, stuff like that.

Had a good, fast 6 miles this morning. I had been planning to go out for my long run with my group for the last time but dh had to schedule an OR case so I went early by myself instead and that was fine. Tomorrow I'll do my long run with my tunes along the beach road, last one before I leave, and that will be fine. This way I get more mileage anyway. My stomach is only now starting to recover from my own stupidity this past week (Wed. I was so stressed that I ate a lot of bread/pasta and I can't do gluten).

Oh yes...dh ordered me my MACBOOK PRO!!!! orngbiggrin.gif biggrinbounce.gif  I got a refurb in the end as it was really a big discount for a lot more power/memory and not very old. The IT guy at work helped me pick it out and dh said, 'fine!' So it's going to my folks' where I'll be for the summer. PSYCHED.

Now I just have to wait til Feb. to get the iPhone (when I'm eligible for the upgrade...otherwise it's a whomping full price).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#145 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Did ya'll hear that THUMP on wednesday or thursday? That was me falling off the wagon. Nothing since the run tuesday, and no motivation in sight. It is pms time of the month for me, when motivation always sinks to the bottom of the psychic well, so Im optimistic that all will be back to normal when AF starts. Leaving for the sweaty midwest this afternoon for a week. Bringing work-out garb, but the in-laws is really a motivation suck for me. At least I'll walk every day if I dont make it to the gym

Geo - seriously; Men. 'Nuf said irked.gif

Lofty - check THIS I have been thinking of you and your ds, and then you posted! orngbiggrin.gif How far away are you exactly? Races for 10 and under are free, and this is a junior Olympic event, so lots of races to watch wink1.gif

Jaygee - no advice greensad.gif I hope your back felt better enough to run

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#146 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 AM
bec

Ugh on the sleep thing.  I have no advice for you, JG, but I settled my co-sleeping issues a few years ago by sticking Abby with Emily in bed!  The 5 year old and the 7 year old are free to intertwine themselves as much as they want!  I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to do that!

Yay on the macbook, Nic!!

Tri tomorrow!  I'm excited!!!!

#147 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Hey Sparkletruck, I'm in deeeeeep east Texas ( guitar.gif <= banjo smile.gif ) But i think I'm ready to run again. I got pretty burned out but I started lifting weights in January and there must be some connection between weights and running b/c it's like all the muscles yearn for a run. When I do run, it feels great. Only my heart seems to be out of shape. greensad.gif So I'll keep lifting and doing yoga but now I want to think about a race again, that is as long as it's FUN and doesn't feel like WORK, at least not until racetime is near.

Penelope, I plan to be in Boston, but not till the end of July. Bumma. I'd love to meet you.

Plady, oops - I thought at first it was you who mentioned dh looking for work. It took me a minute to remember that you and Penelope are not the same. How are you? How are those Vibrams?

Geo, lots of good ideas. I'll never forget the time a good running friend asked me a few personal questions about my childhood and before I knew it we had completed the half-marathon. She seemed genuinely interested but now I wonder if it was a strategy. So, personal childhood questions. For me, anything about books, libraries, bookstores, nature, camping, travel and education would work. There must be a pedestal/soapbox in there somewhere.

JG, sounds like my now 10yo. He just needs a ridiculous amount of touch. Ridiculous, to me, but it's truly his need. My kids both slept with us and eventually it got too crowded, so dh went to their bedroom which also has a big king-size bed. We've switched and moved around a lot but bottom-line is my 10yo needs to be in contact with someone when he sleeps. My 7yo prefers the space and no touching. He often enjoys the single bed, near our king, by himself. We take turns now in our house. One boy has an even-numbered birthday and the other has an odd-numbered birthday so we make all our decisions based on that. (I really just needed an easy, diplomatic way to make quick decisions about who gets to decide, go first, etc.) Anyhow, when it's my 7yo's turn to sleep with me, he will often choose the single and I get the whole bed to myself - ecstasy, I tell you. But my 10yo can't yet sleep alone. He sleeps with his dad or me. Last night, we had a date and I came home to find him in bed with his brother. He happily slept with him, too. The younger will often get annoyed b/c the 10yo has to be ON TOP of whoever is in bed with him. I really don't care what it implies b/c he is a very happy, well-adjusted, centered and thriving kid. So at some point, pretty soon perhaps, I think he will wake up and be a bit embarrassed to be in bed with us. HTH.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#148 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Lofty - Its a mountain bike race for kids! ... although it sounds like you are too far away. My ds and dd1 are doing it, I thought about your mtn. bike racing ds too wink1.gif

#149 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Good luck with the tri tomorrow, bec!!!

Nic, congrats on the MacBook Pro. I love mine!

RM, hope your husband makes it home happy and safely.

Gaye, I bet the first few shifts will feel overwhelming and insanely busy, but then you'll settle in and it will get easier. Especially once you don't have to spend extra time searching for where things are kept, asking questions, etc. etc. that newbies always need to do. And you will find little tricks to make everything go faster. Good luck!!

Penelope, have a great vacation!

JayGee, I'm not usually a big fan of bribery, but have used it for sleep before. My oldest originally night weaned by buying "magic help you sleep through the night without nursing pajamas", and at one point I also bribed her to not get up until 6 am in the mornings. I would imagine that if he's truly not ready he'll decline the bribe, and then you'll need to look at other ideas or sleep arrangements. I have bad mattress empathy, though, since I spend part of the night with my youngest on the bottom bunk. I think I could cure my hip issue if I could just sleep in my own bed.

RR- Speaking of the hip issue- I RAN TODAY!!! Without pain. Just did a run/walk for 30 minutes, but it's the first time in over 2 1/2 months that I've run pain-free. I also fit a swim in yesterday, and some strength training. It's a start....

NRR- I finally got my application for the permanent BSN teaching position submitted Friday morning (application period closes at midnight on Sunday), and on Friday afternoon I got a departmental email announcing the successful candidate. I knew that I wasn't likely to get it since there was someone with more seniority and credentials "in line" for the job, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to hire someone before the application period is over irked.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#150 of 381 Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Bec ~ have a great race tomorrow!

MelW ~ bummer about the job.... and that seems very unprofessional.

lofty ~ your older DS sounds just like my DD2.  She needs a TON of touch.  She's always holding a hand, or running fingers through my hair, or climbing onto my lap.  Loves her touches!  If only her bed was a little more comfortable for my back.  I'll keep trying.

sparkle ~ darn, I was so hoping those herbs would help some with your progesterone related difficulties.

RR ~ I dropped DS at a birthday party at the Y and ran 5.2 miles from there.  Hot, sweaty and a good run overall.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas for DD2 and her sleep issues.  I'd love for her to sleep with DD1, but DD1 wants nothing to do with that.  She's the only one of my three who has abandoned the family bedroom and sleeps happily in her own bed, in her own room.  She likes that she can read in there before going to sleep for the night!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page