June is a great time for running -- June Dingo thread.... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 381 Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wave.gif  Hey Dingos... I've been lurking and telling myself that I would join up again with the July thread as a reward for getting through a few weeks of C25K... but I don't want to wait another 2.5 weeks.  I miss y'all.

RR: I am working my way back to running.  I started C25K on week 2 and am now on week 4.  I'm loving it - my body is mostly cooperating, I'm acclimated to the heat, and I'm not having any trouble getting myself out the door like I sometimes do.  I've been walking the dog immediately before which helps - I feel an obligation to keep him moving and it's a nice warm up for me.

I've put on 6-8 pounds since Christmas and need to get those off plus a few more to finally reach my goal.  Exercise is such a huge part of that for me.

I hope to get caught up with all of you soon!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#182 of 381 Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Dimitrizmom--good to see you back!

eksmom--been thinking of you and glad to see you back too.

Three miles to the library, done. Kids felt like bricks rather than their combined 50 lbs, and it didn't help that we had 30 mph wind gusts. Even so, it was a much slower, harder run than it should have been. Stupid lack of oxygen. I'm really hoping this afternoon's appointment brings some longer-acting solutions. (Apparently there's also a breathing method that will solve all my issues, but when I started reading the book the message I got was "you're doing it wrong and that's why you have asthma and all sorts of health problems" and frankly, I'm not up for that message right now.

In happy news, I forgot to mention that I'm going to the Brooks Ladies Night at Outdoor Divas in Boulder tonight! joy.gif As usual, I'm already feeling guilty and anxious about leaving J for 4+ hours, but I think it will be fun and hopefully relaxing--at least once I get through Boulder traffic, find parking and make it to the store, hopefully on time.... One of the Run Like a Mother authors will be signing books too, so I think I'll have to bring mine along.

ETA: so J had her 15-month appointment yesterday and I'm amazed to say that I have two kids who don't gain weight properly. *le sigh* We had this issue with R at the same age and the culprit was dairy. J doesn't eat dairy so I'm not sure if part of the issue is that my kids don't gain a lot of weight between 12 and 18 months or if there is an actual underlying issue (celiac? some other allergy?). J still has some reflux, but I can't imagine it's slowing her weight gain because she doesn't spit it out. She's also eating us out of house and home these days, so I'm hoping she'll just gain a ton between now and our weight check in a month. Anyone know if you can deep fry cheerios? lol.gif But seriously, please send some weight gain vibes to J if you can, because I'd prefer not to subject her to the blood tests and all if we can avoid it.

OK, a diaper change and lunch calls.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#183 of 381 Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Welcome back, prodigal dingos! orngbiggrin.gif

memiles~I'm flex, so I will work whenever they put me on the schedule. I'm kind of hoping for at least mostly nights. It's just so much more chill, and I think there are/will be a lot more opportunities than days to do things like blood draws. Plus, it pays more! Weekend night shifts are $6/hr extra! I'm scheduled for the 4th of July, which is time and a half, woohoo!

nic~hug.gif Hope your trip is going smoothly.

sparkle~Wanna come up here and let me practice on you? winky.gif I have tourniquet issues...both putting on and remembering to take off! redface.gif

real~goodvibes.gif

I got a pretty good 5 hours of sleep yesterday after I got home, up until the handyman guy started banging on the roof outside my condo. rolleyes.gif I actually felt pretty rested, and was good until bedtime last night. Not as hard to flip my schedule as I thought it would be! DS came home shortly after I woke up, and then we headed out to the Y so I could get a swim in. 2000 yards, not bad, but definitely not fast. Sigh.

I got a quick 3 mile run in with a friend after class today. I wanted to do 4, but we were both kind of cranky, so we called it good at 3. My best friend had invited us to her house to go to her community pool, so I grabbed DS and we headed down there. It was really nice. I hadn't spent any real time with her in months, so it was great to catch up. Now I really should go to bed early since I have class again in the morning, and a ride planned for after, but, well...I think you guys probably know me better than that... bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#184 of 381 Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Dude, I am TOTALLY getting hit on via instant message by a FB friend right now! What the heck is in the air lately...drunk groomsmen, acquaintances hitting on me via FB.... yikes.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#185 of 381 Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Gaye, are you sending out a subconscious flirty vibe?? Or you're too amazing to resist.

bec, a totally belated congrats on the tri!

Real, sending weight gain vibes. If there's good eating happening, do you think it's absorption, or just lots of metabolism/calorie burning going on? If I remember correctly you're not very big, so small kids would be expected... I've been through the weight gain stress (or lack of weight gain) with my youngest because of allergy issues, and know how hard and stressful it can be.

RR- Did a run/walk again yesterday and felt good after, but more achy than I expected today. My plan is to rest today and tomorrow- I'm working on extra rest and crossed fingers now that I've had two pain-free runs jumpers.gif Hoping to keep it going..

NRR- It's been an insane week for work- getting ready for midterms (already??) next week, and cramming it all in with my minimalist childcare schedule (read: I work at night when the kids are asleep). Today I had a two hour lunch meeting with the CEO of a company that we placed students with last month, and though the idea of being taken out for lunch was appealing, I sat through half of it wishing that I had two uninterrupted child-free hours to do other things, like work or do laundry or even exercise...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#186 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 AM

Gaye, you hot mama you!!!

Real ~ I wonder how much of the lack of weight gain is genetic.  Seriously, you are so small, and R had the same issue at the same age. 

MelW ~ yeah, I wish I had two free hours to get stuff done too...

eksmom ~ great to see you here and good work on the C25K!

Yesterday was crazy!  We left for the Magic House (children's museum in St. Louis) at 9:00am and didn't get home until 4:30pm.  Between my friend and me we were tracking 7 children (her kids are all exactly 4 months younger than mine, plus a 1 year old).  I only lost DD2 once, which I consider quite the feat!  The museum was a blast though!  As soon as we got home, I made DS and DD1 a quick sandwich before shuttling them off to open gymnastics.  Two hours later, we picked them up to take DS to registration for travelling soccer (holy $$$ batman, this better be good).  Out for ice cream (yeah, that was my dinner...) and poured 3 tired kids into bed by 9:00.  I need a day at home today, which luckily, is what is planned!

Still no running to report.  My cold is getting better, but I've got to see the chiropractor today.  My L5 disc is sitting right on that nerve that gives sensation to my lower left leg.  Grrr....

And I really need to get back to being gluten free.  Since about Christmas, I've been eating wheat and while I have no gastric issues, my rash is back BIG TIME.  And holy cow, does it itch!  Plus, as DH pointed out, I've been pretty crabby and a little depressive and maybe, just maybe, the fact that I can't seem to stay heathly is related too.  So today starts a 1 month trial of gluten free again to see if any of that improves.  I wish I didn't love wheat stuff so much.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#187 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

Dude, I am TOTALLY getting hit on via instant message by a FB friend right now! What the heck is in the air lately...drunk groomsmen, acquaintances hitting on me via FB.... yikes.gif

whistling.gif  and by that I mean a great big whistle not just ho-hum, nothing to see here kind of whistle.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#188 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 AM

thumb.gif Gaye!

RM, at what point will the ped. want to do blood testing? I hope you had fun at the Outdoor Divas event. Sounds fun.

JG, so the gluten reaction is a rash, that's no fun. At least there's no gluten in ice cream yummy.gif

Eksmom, hi! Good to see you! Keep us updated on the C25k.

Dmitrizmom, welcome back!

Mel, that's great that you are running pain free.

Nic, I'm enjoying your travel pics on FB! I can't believe that everything went so quickly and you are already saying goodbye to FL. I remember when you moved down there, and it doesn't seem that long ago.

I hope I don't jinx myself, but this has been a great week, FM-wise. Lots of biking, consistently running and swimming.

A little beagle puppy wandered to our house early yesterday morning, and we are looking for its owners in the neighborhood. So far, no news. I wonder if someone didn't just dump her since that does happen from time to time. greensad.gif She's so sweet and cute, and the kids are enjoying having her here to play with, but we are absolutely not willing to take on a puppy any time in the near future. So, we shall see whether anyone claims her. I'll post a pic on FB later. She's really cute dog2.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#189 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Yet more time spent in a hospital last night.

And here both Dh and I had said at some point in the last two weeks (Dh two days ago to his mom); "ironically, ds is the only one who hasnt had stitches!" Ds is the most accident prone and biggest daredevil. Well, now we're 3 for 3. Ds split his knee open last night (and I responded appropriately calmly "oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!" shake.gif (not in ds' presence, however) while Dh just said, "ugh, we need to go to the Emergency room". On the way there, Ds asked "what were those little yellow balls I saw in my knee?", Dh said "that was fat..." puke.gif
It *only* required 5 stitches, which is the same as what dd2 got last year (I dont think I was here then but she split her eyebrow open on a bench at the pool. I was alone with the kids. I performed equally well lol.gif) despite that ds' looked wayyy gnarly-er. I have to say, it's sooo nice to have an MD in the family when you spend a lot of time (apparently) going to hospitals redface.gif Poor resident [who was the first to see ds]; when Dh told her he is an ED doc (he does so simply b/c he uses some terminology that makes it obvious he knows something so he just figures he'll put it out there), she visibly looked frightened lol.gif But she did the stitches and did just fine clap.gif

I started AF today which I knew was coming b/c I felt much better yesterday (actually wanting a work-out, more energy, more upbeat). I swear its like a switch; Off. On. So now Im on for the next two+ weeks joy.gif This months PMS, while still obvious wasnt life-threateningly bad like last month. Im not sure if its b/c Im managing it better (accupuncture herbs), my cycle is getting back to *normal-for me* post illness, or because the months will just ebb and flow for 5 years until I slide into menopause redface.giflol.gif

Sitting here drinking my decaf. and then I might try to leave Grandma with the 3 and go to the gym...

Real - my dd2 was very low weight for the first 18 months. Every doc (we lived in two states during that time) mentioned it, but our original Ped. always said, as long as she was consistent, dont listen to what others say. She was somewhere in the <5th percentile. Anyway, does something have to be wrong? Cant it just be that this is how your dd's grow? I hope you find some answers hug.gif

Gaye - I seriously would let you practice on me! I am not afraid of needles and my veins, according to EVERY person whose ever drawn blood, are orgasmic (o.k., they didnt say that lol.gif) Dh is abou to switch to night shifts in Aug. b/c of the pay differential (we're trying to save money), which is QUITE good, although as I keep reminding him of his own saying "you pay somewhere" I hope they continue to be so easy for you!!

Jaygee - What lonnnggg day - whew! I love staying home after days like that lol.gif I hope you have a wonderful Chiro. appt. Sorry about the gluten, but it does sound like wheat may be affecting you somehow. Have you tried sprouted grains? I know the phytic acid in grains can affect some people's guts, but not the grain itself. I have tried baking with sprouted flour, and found the results too *wet*, but my whole family LOVES Ezekial sprouted Cinnamon-Raisin english muffins. Also, if you can find brown rice flour at your grocery, there are recipes online for mixes that you can make to create the equivalent to how wheat flour cooks, so you could keep the mix in your cupboard to use for pancakes, muffins, etc. and maybe still get the *hit* of baked goods w/out the wheat.... Also, probiotics and CLO could be helpful (although more $). Good luck mama.

Mel38 - joy.gif for the regular workouts!! I love it when Im on a roll like that (too bad it doesnt last here - blork lol.gif)

eks - wave.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#190 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Real ~ Val was a slow gainer too.  Still at 2 years she weighs about 27lbs.  She's finally growing now, but she was 18lbs for what seemed like forever.  She ate all day, nursed all day, was healthy, growing, and developing ahead of the charts.  I didn't put too much into it since if you look at me on the charts I'm technically underweight or on the verge when I'm not expecting.

Mel ~ Beagle pups are irresistible.  I know.. I have 2 grown ones now. :D

JG ~ I have a connection to someone in the Belleville area with celiac.  She just wrote a children's book about being gfree and is in a proactive group about sharing info.  If you ever feel the need to connect - please let me know.  She's on facebook too! :)

Gaye ~ Enjoy it! 

HI EKSMOM!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#191 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM

sparkle~biglaugh.gif orgasmic veins biglaugh.gif

So the whole FB thing was um...interesting. This is a guy that I met through the beginner triathlete message boards and carpooled up to my tri/du last month with. Apparently, he's got a thing for me. redface.gif He's a super nice guy, but I'm not really attracted to him, and his life is WAY too complicated. Which, is kind of good, because he was basically like...I would love to date you but my life's too complicated right now. Phew. Takes care of that problem! I'm seriously very flattered. I have no idea where all this is coming from...I've been single for two years now, and I've barely had anyone male even look twice at me! orngtongue.gif

Today, another boring mental health class. Where I got asked to put my snack away because it was too loud and distracting. yikes.gif I mean, really? According to the professor, every time I crunched my cereal (dry cereal), there were waves of students looking at me. Um, except for the part where my friend two people over had no idea I was even eating anything and nobody else around me heard anything either. Ok. Weird. So I got to be hungry for the rest of class. rolleyes.gif

I came home and grabbed DS and headed out for a ride. We met two friends and had a nice HOT ride. I would have liked to have gone farther, but it was hot and I was tired and we had a ton of errands to run, so we kept it to just under 20 miles total.

Tomorrow...my last orientation shift at work!

#192 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
bec

Hi Eks!!!!  So good to see you around! 

JG - Sorry about the rash and the disc.  I hope you get it all sorted out.  It sucks when food doesn't agree with you, yet you crave it so much.  I know I should be having less grains/bread/carbs, but it is SO hard to stop.  I know I should just bite the bullet and go on South Beach for reals.  I need to lose the weight that I have gained, and I need to feel better in my skin.  It all goes hand in hand.

Gaye - You rock, that's why guys are hitting on you!  Duh!

RR: I had a nice brick workout with the tri group this evening.  It was supposed to be a bike ride, but the weather wasn't cooperating, so we were inside on spin bikes, and then a 30 minute run.  It was on the indoor track and a walk, jog, run a lap sequence, so kept me pretty interested. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#193 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Hey ladies, still trying out TapaTalk. I can't go back and re-read once I hit reply so this is a memory test.

(Real?) On weight gain, I agree with all those excellent perspectives shared. My dear friend nursed her healthy babes for about 2 years and they were consistently underweight. She assured the doc that she had been the same & refused to worry about it. They're healthy teenagers now.

(Sparkle?) Good luck with the cute beagle. Your trip up to visit family sounded fun- remind me of my family.

Tjsmama, glad the nursing is going so well! Your exercising sounds so amazing. And ditto on the hot!!

JG, good luck on the gluten-free diet.

Re:pre-menopause (Sparkle?) I have had about 3 weeks of poor sleep- not like me. I think it may be related to low progesterone as I take no hormones and I am approaching 44. (wow, that looks old in print. I like the way it sounds better.) I don't want to take meds so I'm exploring alternatives. If anyone has dietary advice, I'm open.

Eksmom, I might check out the c25k program too. My running is so irregular.

I had a great swim yesterday. I really worked hard on learning how to flip on the return lap but I'm not there yet. Today, I worked on a backhand with my sons (some yoga) & tomorrow I plan to run! Yay! I'm looking forward to it but I hope I skip well enough to get up early bc the humidity is stifling.

Have a good night. Sorry if I left so many out.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#194 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Backbend - darn auto-correct
(Can't edit)

#195 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM

Hi mamas!

It feels like I've been offline forever but I guess it hasn't bee so long.  My desktop died and although all the documents and pictures are salvageable it sounds like I'll need something new.  I do have this little net book though which is pretty cool.  It has about as much memory as my old desktop anyway.  Anyone in love with their computer?

Dana - How did belt testing go?  I left off at blue belt.  It makes me kind of sad that I stopped TKD but I like what I'm doing in its place too.

Nic - I've got you in my thoughts mama.

JG - Stay strong getting back into the gluten free mode.  I'm sure you'll feel so much better you'll wonder how you ever got out of the habit. (Could someone tell me that re: exercise please?) - And yeah what a long day!  If it was me I'd have been like, um, we've got gymnastics and soccer, that's enough!

Bec - Way to have a positive spin! 

Gaye - RRRRarrr!

Real - I agree that lightweightitude may not be such a big deal.  When C was a baby I just never took her to a ped since she was happy and well but one day I thought to check her height and weight and then look at the charts and she was way at the bottom but, she was happy and well so... she's always been fine. 

Sparkle - Well at least now there are no more shoes to drop?  I hope you have lots of ER free years ahead now!

JJo - I love watching your new life developing!

Eks - Hi!

So, we had some puppy-eating-chicken-drama this week and tomorrow is the last day of school although C sounds like she's getting sick so it may have been today after all.  Anyway, I'm out of time, I did swim for 30 minutes this morning despite wanting to sleep in so that's something but I still need more movement.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#196 of 381 Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM

sparkle, glad you survived the ER/stitches experience. And wishing you many more accident-free years. And lol.gif at the orgasmic veins. When I was learning to start IVs I would ogle strangers veins on the bus. And think "check out the veins on that guy...."

Mel, good luck with the puppy. And congrats on the good-FM week.

Plady, glad you've recovered the essentials and love the new computer. Sorry about the puppy-chicken drama; we gave up a childhood dog because of it's complete obsession with killing chickens- it needed to go live somewhere less rural where the temptation wasn't there. I hope yours is less chicken-crazy.

RR- I may have spoken too soon about the painless runs. I'm having kind of strange aches that I am overanalysing at the moment. Might run tomorrow just to see... A short bike ride today felt fine, so my inner optimist thinks that maybe I just slept funny.

NRR- While the whole province (and quite honestly most of the country) was watching the Canucks in the Stanley cup final tonight, and then the subsequent riots, I was teaching an evening lab. I was pretty impressed that not one of my students skipped (though some were getting regular updates via text). And as someone who spent 9 of the past 12 years in Vancouver, I'm feeling pretty embarrassed about the way everyone is behaving right now, and also very grateful that I'm not there. More disappointed by the riots than by the loss. Meh.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#197 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 05:22 AM

MelW ~ Riots?  Really?  I watched the game (and cheered on Boston... hey, it's in my blood!)  Glad all your students showed up for class. 

Plady ~ good to see you here!  Boooooo for chicken-eating puppies (I almost typed puppy-eating chickens!  Now that would be something!)  Hope you can get a new computer soon.  No recommendations from me since ours is as old as the hills.

sparkle ~ oh no, not the ER!  Glad your DS is okay though.

lofty ~ keep working those flip turns!  Honestly, I rarely do them because I feel like I'm not getting enough air.  Makes me a swimming poser I guess.

DH is all crabby this morning because I kept him up all night with my coughing.  Um, dude.... it's not like I was sleeping through it myself, or doing it on purpose just to piss you off!  We've got a multitude of beds that the children aren't sleeping in, so drag your stuff to one of their rooms if MY cold is keeping YOU awake.  [/rant]

Day 1 gluten free was good.  I even made meatloaf with homemade rice bread breadcrumbs that turned out delish!  Chiro this morning, then piano lessons for the two big kids and a trip to the commissary for groceries.  I swear, summer is busier than the school year some days.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#198 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Real ~ I am sure you are, but make sure when you are looking at the "charts" that you are looking at the one for breastfed babies.  Even so, Val was always around the 10th percentile on that one.

So... tired... this.... morning.  We went with James last night to a friend's house where he has been working on a new project for work and we were gone late.  Even though Val didn't fall asleep til late she still woke up at the normal time.  I stayed up even later talking about houses (again).  I must say it's fun to dream. :)

#199 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM

MelW - Canadians rioting?  Sheesh!  At least they save it up for something important!

So this morning I kicked two newly broody hens off their nests and stole their eggs.  chicken3.gifI'm sorry ladies but we've got too many balls in the air as it is without me worrying about keeping mama chickens comfy and well.  Anyway I'm not sure how successful they could be with the only input coming from a banty roo.

Yesterday I convinced dh that it was time to do a little work in the kitchen again.  He's been off kitchen rehab since January and was starting to build raised beds in the hoop house for the winter.  I might have a one-step-closer-to-final sink cabinet by the end of the day!dishes.gif

Today is dd1's last day of school.  I'm so glad, this year was hard for her between struggling with math (though she did great on her year end state tests through sheer determination to get it on her part) and bullying.  This one little ahem, person, in her class who'd been bullying her earlier in the year has had one last stab.  She's having a party today after school and made a big deal about it in class.  The only kid not invited?  Chiara.  And to top it off her mother was in the classroom twice this week going from kid to kid to make sure they could come - but never to C.  I feel conflicted about whether to get involved.  I certainly wouldn't think of insisting that C be invited, after all even she wouldn't want to go but having the mom complicit in obviously excluding her is over the line.  But then, it's so clearly obnoxious what could I possibly say that would have any impact?  It seems to me that she wants to get back at C for having reported her kid as a bully.  The funny thing is that I don't know this mom and although I'd seen her around the community I had no idea whose mom she was but something about her always struck me as super bitchy.  And I felt really bad for having that impression with zero info to back it up.  But, turns out, my instinct was dead on after all.  Go me.  eyesroll.gif

Anyway, I am taking C and a friend from a different class bowling after school and then to a new restaurant for lunch so hopefully that will be special enough to help her forget how she's being snubbed.

We (C and me as long as she wants me there) are just starting to see a therapist though.  She's been having a real emotional rollercoaster this year which seemed more or less normal to me but then she came across a Are You Depressed? checklist in a book about puberty and felt that she was experiencing all the symptoms including having thoughts about hurting herself and thoughts about death and/or suicide. (!) So I reassured her that there is help for that and there's no shame in reaching out to someone who's learned ways to help.  Her first session was just a getting-to-know-you kind of thing but she sucked her thumb for the first 30 minutes, something she never does.   Tomorrow we go again and I'm hopeful that she'll find value in having another adult to confide in. 

Sorry for the all-about-me-ness today.  I'm going to try to suck some Dingo mojo through the screen and move my body!  II still haven'[t run on y VFFs but I love how they feel to just wear around.  I've been using them a lot and I'm thinking about maybe getting another pair too - Maybe a mary jane style for formal occasions lol.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#200 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Real:  Yes, on the "some babies are just small" thoughts. This article addresses infant growth issues, but I think it applies in childhood as well.  Both of my girls have always hovered at the bottom of the scale in height, and E for weight as well.  There were times that Ellie was below the curve, but it was accompanied by obvious signs that she was sick before her celiac was diagnosed.  Now that she's healthy as a horse, she just weighs as much as kids half her age!  Look at her developmental milestones, her demeanor, her overall health (is she sick all the time?).  If those things are all fine, I have pretty strong feelings about feeding kids extra just to make them gain weight/grow to catch up to a chart, as I think it can really mess them up as far as eating and metabolism in adulthood.  I've also learned there is not a correlation between birth size and adult size (5 lb babies grow up to be 6'3, 300 lbs, 11 lb babies grow up to be 5' all the time), so try to take that out of the picture as well.  

Plady, thinking of both you and C.  You are such an amazing mama.  

I'm going to drive myself to a local park with a reported 3 mile trail this morning.  For some reason, that makes me incredibly nervous.  I've done all this research into places in the area to go run off road, but I never go.  Today, I'm busting that down.  

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#201 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM

JayGee--sorry about having to go GF again. Not easy.

MelW--Hope your aches stay away.

Sparkle--hope the kids stay accident-free for a while! What an ordeal.

tjsmama--weird about the FB guy. BTW, I'm sure guys are looking at you twice, but that doesn't mean they're available, yk? You're so attractive I can't imagine that you don't attract attention.

loftmama--I'm struggling with lap turns too. I've ended up sideways a lot. lol.gif

Plady--hope the special lunch and summer and therapy all help your daughter. That's a lot of stuff for kids to deal with.

memiles--yay for tackling a new route! Fun, though I agree, always a little anxiety-provoking. I was studying maps for a good two weeks before we did our ride yesterday, and even then I wasn't quite sure where we were headed once we hit Golden.

As far as J, I think she's burning calories really (too) fast. She's constantly on the go and, as has been mentioned before, she doesn't like to sleep until like 10 pm at night or to nap during the day. Plus, she didn't have much of an appetite until around 14 months, so all of that combined would lead to low weight gain. She weighs more than R did at this age and is holding her own for height and head size. J's weight has been below the 3rd percentile for a while; R was never ever on the chart and now, at 6-1/2 and 33 lbs, well, she's still nowhere near the chart but continues to maintain the curve, even if well below her peers. The dr thought she had dropped further away from the curve this time, even though I didn't really see a difference. She gained 14 oz between 9-12 months and 13 oz between 12-15 months which isn't quite ideal but isn't as dramatic as when R gained a mere 8 oz between 9-12 months.

She gets gassy a lot, but that seems to correlate strongly to the amount of hummus she eats during the day. lol.gif Other than that, she's been very healthy--more than the rest of us these days! She's hitting her milestones, her vocabulary (signs and spoken words) is increasing daily and she looks great. My guess is that if we can get her weight up a bit before 18 months, the dr will be satisfied and we won't need to go through the tests.

RR: took the girls on a 17-mile ride to Golden yesterday. We planned it so that we could head to the park right after R's violin lesson because her teacher lives only a couple of miles away. Had our picnic, R played on the playground there a bit while I tried shoving food into J who was more interested in dogs and people, and then we got the bike and trailer ready. Isn't it amazing how it takes longer to put suncreen on kids, assemble the snacks, etc, than to do the actual ride? lol.gif Anyhow, we headed out toward Golden and I knew it would be uphill, but didn't realize the trail doesn't stick to the creek the whole way. We were headed past the brewery when I saw the road turn uphill and thought "no, the bike path can't go there because this is the Clear *Creek* trail and the creek doesn't do that." Wrong! That hurt, but I was proud of myself for managing to make it up without stopping.

Eventually the path goes back down to meet the trail and runs through downtown Golden where there's another playground. We stopped there so the girls could play, then headed back up (ouch!) and back down (yay!) and stopped at a third park which had two play structures. I probably should have limited them to one at that point, but I'd underestimated my patience. redface.gif Finally, we got back to the original park where they played once more and then we headed home. I was ~done~ by then though, and had very little patience for R's multiple breakdowns about this that and the other. So, I went to swim after dinner. Something clicked a bit there and it was a much better swim than I've had so far. I'm guessing the thing that clicked is the new inhaler. They gave me a preventer one and I can totally tell the difference.

Sorry for the book!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#202 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM

H all, so much for being more regular here!

Gaye, are you kidding about being surprised by the guy interest -  you're a beautiful woman!

Lisa, I have noticed that Raf seems to have plateaued in weight. I do think that mostly it's due to him being very active as we;re outside so much more, combined with the fact that he has gotten very picky. He'll basically eat toast and sandwiches...

Jaygee, KUP on the gluten free. I often wonder if it would help with inflammation and rashes that I have...

Just a quick update to say that we did start DS in nursery school a couple of weeks ago. It went quite well, though he is so bashful and he does a lot of observing. Drop-offs are a nightmare but his teacher reports that he cries for 4 minutes and is then fine. But, oh, it's hard. I think it's going to be good for him, mind you. The school is influenced by Montessori and Waldorf philosophies, so it;s our cup of tea.

Also, we are actually now TTC for real. i.e. we had sex! lol I don't know how fertile I am right now, though I am having periods, so that is a good first step. The OPK things I used are not that reassuring, though. My Dr. did say that she thought that breastfeeding might not be helping but I don't think I am ready to wean, and DS is for sure not ready. Anyone here become pregnant when nursing still?

We also sold our house! Our town want to put a road through our house and we've been waiting for a town referendum on the matter. It passed by only 26 votes this past Tuesday. We're happy to be moving somewhere closer to my work,

No FM today as I am doubly sick. A head cold that won't go away combined with what I hope is a 24 hour tummy bug.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#203 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM

So much going on here, so little opportunity to respond! Plady, you'd be surprised what a lady's man a little bantam roo can be. Real, my babies were small too, and my peds made a point of comparing them to themselves and basically making sure the rates of growth seemed appropriate, rather than using the chart for comparison. Sparkle, I also have orgasmic veins, and get compliments any time I give blood or have it drawn. Hi again to the ladies popping in. JenLove, I admire your patience!

Let's see...around here, we are moved in. Still waiting on another shipment of furniture, but we are in our house. The kids love the pool, and we can just scoot across the street to the mosque when it's prayer time. The kitchen is in and I've stocked my spices. A few more staples and I'll be set again. I miss my kombucha, but pretty sure it would have been a heap of trouble through customs. We start our Arabic lessons Sunday, and dh leaves soon for his trip. We plan to book our tickets for Morocco this weekend if we can. Of course, he also just accepted a pair of kittens from his boss (they're semi-feral and I just want to at least get them fixed), and this complicates our ability to travel. Not sure how we'll work this out. And for the record, I said no to the cats and was overruled. Bright side, our maintenance/watchman is a cat person, so maybe I can convince (pay) him to look after Dumb and Dumber while we're gone.

In other news, I can't zip my pants. I have gained more than 25 pounds since...Feb? Jan? So, today dh and I discussed it, and I have been issued a "family fatwa," for lack of a better word, that my health and fitness come first. We are in a different place, different culture, and at least for the next several months, no one will die if they don't get dinner when they feel like it. So, ds and I hit the streets after sunset when it finally cooled down to 91 or so, and walked the 3.5km path around the park, and there and back, probably totalling close to 5k. I swam a little in the AM but wasn't feeling it, and we did some housework and some other walking in the old town this afternoon, but as I said, I can't zip my pants. So, my plan is to walk either around Safa park or up and down the beach once daily, plus whatever swimming I can tolerate with the kids (just not meditative with them in there). Yoga is bonus. Ramadan starts in 6 weeks, so it's a good idea to get into the habit of exercising after sunset anyway. My goal is to be back in my pants by September.

Oh, and working against me is the shawarma shop right between our house and the park. Dh wants to stroll there now and see if there's anything left on the spit.

#204 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM

zubs ~ I got pregnant while Val was still nursing.  My period came back at 19 months and we got pregnant at 23 months.  I think at that time she was still nursing upon waking, once in the morning, naptime, evening, and to go to sleep (or there abouts anyway).  We are pretty much weaned now because I was really sensitive and fussy when she did nurse although I never told her no but I bet she felt my agitation, my milk decreased, and she was ready I think.  It all  happened gradually and seemed natural anyway.  Just as I would imagine self-weaning to go and I'm happy with how it worked out.  I'd feel guilty if I was dry and she wanted it still.

#205 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
bec

Another mama to small babies (with the first two having been born ginormous at almost 10.5 pounds each!) after about the first month.  Katie has always been in the 5th-10th percentile since about a month old.  Our ped has never been concerned, as they are all healthy, and following their growth curves appropriately (consistent in their percentile range). 

Plady - That story makes my head want to explode!  That is such clear bullying!  Does your school have any kind of policy about that?  Ours has a no invites allowed in school if the entire class isn't invited.  I would be very tempted to call the school and just make them aware.  Maybe they can assure you that C won't be in the same class as this brat!  And good for you for getting her some help when she is clearly asking for it!  Way to go, mama!

So, the dogs are at the kennel, and I am trying to get ready to go camping for the weekend.  I have very little ready, and DH has had an emergency at work, so he will likely be out very late tonight.  Ugh!  That means, I get to do everything, and he will likely be tired and grouchy tomorrow!  Lovely.  At least the laundry and dishes are almost done, and the house is in decent shape.  So, I just need to gather camping gear, pack, cook, etc.  I don't think there is enough caffeine in the world to make this all right!

#206 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM

zub--I got pregnant while nursing R. Hope you're feeling better soon.

1jooj--glad you're mostly moved in, though sorry to hear about the cats. Your exercise plan sounds good and I hope your family cooperates.

#207 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Hey ladies, I didn't run today. I was dressed and ready but the kids wanted to spar. Then one got tired and the other wanted to keep sparring so I volunteered. He needed the challenge anyway but it zapped me of energy. That's a pretty tough workout so I don't feel too bad but I do miss the run. Tomorrow morning I hope to run early before going to town (hour away) with my new bff orngbiggrin.gif for coffee, pedicures and lunch to celebrate her birthday. She's a black belt, a triathlete, my age, reads a lot, homeschools, and is truly a soul sister. Not sure I've ever had one in real life so I've been jittery, all first-date nerves about it. Our kids and husbands can't believe how much alike we are. Ok sorry for going on. You know it's been over 2 years since I lived in a community with like-minded friends. Anyway, we're (hah- sounds like we're a couple) thinking of finding a marathon to train for. Oh and she runs barefoot. Swoon. Do y'all remember how far in the woods I live? When people saw my dh running bc, they called all the other neighbors and told them to lock the doors. A crazy man was running bf down the road.

Plady, that sucks about C's classmate. I'm curious about the school policy, too. I think it's awesome that you're so supportive of giving her the chance to talk it thru with a counselor with or w/o you. That girl rocks. Btw, I pulled up the Olympia Diocese and and admired your beauties climbing the tree. Love it!

Jo, I'm just hanging on to everything you say. I want to know everything. I can almost imagine being there and I love sitting back in my treehouse and picturing you and your family in your abode and new surroundings. The kitties sound like not a good idea but how sweet! I hope the sup (?) can "help."

Zubeldia, I got pg while nursing my 2yo. It can happen. GL mama! Glad he's transitioning well.

Oh and re: weight. I like the idea of not comparing them to a curve but just watching their own weight game relative to themselves. There's plenty of wiggle room in those milestones. I wonder what the other end of the spectrum looks like. Probably like my boys. They're off the charts the other way. I could see a doc suggesting a diet for mine. But they are healthy and just getting ready for spurts, I'm sure.

Oh and thanks for the good luck wishes. We all passed our belt test and should receive our blue belts at the ceremony next week- our 7th belt, I think. It's been a long process. The test had 44 moves and I was very proud of my sons. They go to the world tournament next week. I can hardly wait. We all really love it. The fighting is amazingly fun. peace.gif

#208 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
bec

Lofty - I have two friends in real life that are like that for me.  True sisters.  One of them lives in Kansas, and the other is my running partner.  I totally get the jittery 1st date nerves!  I think making girl friends is a lot like dating!

Anyway, we are all packed, except for camping gear (still want to get it gathered tonight, so we can stuff the car tomorrow!).  I'm so tired, though! 

Jo - I also understand that not being able to zip your pants.  I have been in sweats and knit pants/shorts for, oh, the past 6 months or so.  blush.gif  I really want to get back to being comfortable in my skin.  With that said, I'm sure the granola bars, rice crispy treats, and muffins the kids and I made for camping isn't helping!

Oh, and just to lighten the mood for everyone: Whole Foods Parking Lot

#209 of 381 Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM

melW~I ogle my OWN veins. orngbiggrin.gif

real~I could have warned you about the Clear Creek Trail! I just rode it last week. It was actually my very first ride pulling the trailer...and my rear wheel came off going up one of those hills because I hadn't tightened up the quick-release skewer enough after installing the Chariot hitch. redface.gif

bec~Love the video! lol.gif

And a general redface.gif to all of you padding my ego. love.gif

Well, I'm officially oriented, I guess. My last orientation shift was today, and I'm on my own on Sunday. I feel a lot more confident after today, although I'm still a little scared about getting it all done by myself. It'll work, though. The RNs are all really nice, so I know they'll help me out if they can. I got to try another IV start today, but didn't get it. I don't feel bad, though, considering at least 3 RN's tried and failed and they eventually had to call interventional radiology to come and put it in. I get my first check tomorrow, and it's sizable! joy.gif

More fun with mental health tomorrow, and then a ride with DS in the trailer...

#210 of 381 Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM

lofty ~ I remember you mentioning wanting a bff when I visited and I know how living in a beautiful (but isolated setting) can be, well, isolating.  I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!  It sounds like a perfect bff match made in heaven.  Enjoy your girl time! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page