June is a great time for running -- June Dingo thread.... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
joy.gif, nic!

2600 yds in the pool for me this afternoon. My arms may fall off. Holy cow.

Followed that up with a trip to the grocery store and a cooking/baking spree the likes of which my kitchen has not seen in many a month. Had to take advantage of the fact that it was cool enough to actually turn the oven on. A batch of granola, a loaf of banana bread, a dozen breakfast burritos for the freezer, and a giant baked ziti later...I am worn out.

Tomorrow is the first day of my mental health clinical. Not overly excited, but at least it's very likely to be better than I think it's going to be. redface.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Nick--that's a crazy amount of driving! Glad to hear you and DH got a chance to talk without being interrupted, and hooray for signing up for the marathon! Also, happy belated birthday!

tjsmama--I am jealous of your amazing swim and all the cooking. I really need to make granola, but first I'd have to heave myself out of this chair.

RR: I ignored tjsmama's dire warnings about rain, put the hitch and bike on and headed down to Cherry Creek. It started to rain on the way there but stopped after I had the trailer and bike ready to go. Hooray! It turned out Cherry Creek had flooded last night so it was pretty muddy in spots and still flooded in a couple of others. Only one section of the trail was closed of through the part I rode though, so it was mostly just interesting to see. I did 10 miles, which was all I had time for. Here's the funny part: my "excuse" for riding the trail was that I needed to pick up my order at REI, which is right there at the confluence of Cherry Creek and the Platte. Well, by the time I got the trailer and bike packed up and changed J's diaper, I didn't have enough time to actually go to REI. Sheepish.gif Maybe, if there had been space in the upper parking lot and no lines and I didn't look for pants for R and only spent 5 minutes in the bike section, maybe I could have made it, but there wasn't a space in the upper lot so I headed north to pick up R.

The new plan is to go to REI first thing after dropping R at VBS. It will give me time to look around and we should still be able to make it back before baby storytime at the library.

This evening I swam (a mere 1000m). So, in a triathlon pool swim, do people ever hang onto the side catching their breath in the middle of it? Just wondering. whistling.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Nic, glad the crazy busy trip went well. Good luck with the house and the marathon!!

sparkle, I like the idea of a bike/c25k brick. I've been doing some run/walk intervals but missing the harder workouts.

Real, lol.gif at not actually making it to REI.

tjsmama, congrats on surviving your first day.

RR- Ended my lazy streak with a run/walk today.

NRR- Met with the manager of the agency that posted my "dream job" (that I didn't apply for because it was way too little money). I'm going to do some work with them, so we talked about potential projects for collaboration. We chatted about the possibility of a mentorship program for parents.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Nic ~ love.gif!  Yay for a safe trip, lots of communication with your DH, and summertime in the northeast! 

MelW ~ that sounds like a wonderful prospect

Real ~ ROTFLMAO.gifat your trip "to" REI!  May you actually make it there today.

Gaye ~ hope your clinical goes well this week.  Great swim!

Everyone had a good time at VBS yesterday, even DD2 who of course was a little teary at drop off.  I had plans to meet up with a friend whose kids are also at VBS this week for a bike ride this morning, but the giant bank of black clouds moving in from the west is making that plan look less than likely.  DH promised to break me away for a swim at the Y tonight though, so at least I'll get some form of exercise in.  I've decided to try going sugar-free Monday through Friday and give myself a little leeway for the weekends.  Totally cutting out sugar leads me to binge-land, and that's not good, so hopefully this compromise plan will work better for my slightly eating-disordered brain eyesroll.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

So...I am on my new (to me!) macbook pro. LOVE IT. I haven't figured everything out yet (like how to open a new window in internet, how/where to save documents and name them etc.) but it is super fun and the screen and keyboard are just amazing. Very happy. Plus for my birthday my parents finally got the tech dude in and got wireless in their house so I can use my new toy too!

I am pretty sure we are going to have to trade our van in for a suburban or 4 wheel drive suv because the area is very, very hilly with narrow windy roads and serious winters. And I am going to have to do carpool so a subaru won't work for me (though dh will probably get one as his Civic will not make it to the hospital on a snowy night I don't think).

On the up side, dh and I had a lot of time to talk and talk we did. I wouldn't say it's 100% amazing but it's definitely 75% better. A few days with no one else to talk to will do that to you! lol.gif  

a. YAY! The command key (to the left of the space bar, they used to have an apple on it, my keyboard no longer does and they may not have for 10 years for all I know) behaves a heck of a lot like the control key on a pc. Command-n opens a new window in firefox for instance. command-s saves stuff, etc.

b. Folks around here with 4 kids either choose the toyota van with all wheel drive  or the smaller toyota suv.I drive an odyssey, with no all wheel drive, but there have been a few times I was a little worried about it. Turns out front wheel drive doesn't do so horribly in the snow on a curvy road. Depends how good they are at clearing the roads.  Do you know suvs are cheaper than vans now AND generally get better gas mileage (for the same size car)? I had no idea. So when my friends with the prius traded the van in for an suv I was shocked, until she told me why.  And don't forget to carry a blanket, a shovel and a small amount of traction material in the back of your vehicle all winter (we have a ziplock or two of sand in the van on a regular basis and I don't mean just the stuff that comes off us from the beach.

C. love.gif  I hope it continues.

Ok yesterday I got a skirtsports email that told me about kids skirts. In classic form I looked at the product without reading the email, liked it on facebook, etc. Today: I read a blog that's telling me what's actually *in* the email --

Quote:
WARNING, POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECT: These outfits have been known to attract little boys. Do not fear - losing gracefully to little girls in Skirts will help build their characters at a young age!

ish. Now I'm thinking blech. Their product is expensive enough that I refuse to spend money on something with a bad message. So I hope the ones I have last a loooong time.

Ran a 5km last friday. Crummy. I had this heat regulation issue: was HOT about 250 yards in (on a 50 degree day in Duluth) and felt super faint all the way through. I don't get it.

Put on capris last night I haven't worn in a year. Don't fit.

Rain, with a high predicted of 47. Apparently I dont' need the capris anyhow this summer, since summer hasn't shown it's beautiful face here much.

But I'm off to the gym here shortly  for muscle pump. Last week I went and the day after I almost couldn't get out of bed, due to soreness. I hope tomorrow is better.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Tjsmama – can I get a recipe for your breakfast burritos and how you freeze them?  And great job in the pool! thumb.gif

Realrellim – sounds like an interesting bike ride.  Time in the pool sounds lovely. orngbiggrin.gif

MelW – good for you on the walk/run… I find getting started is always the hardest for me. joy.gif

JayGee – I think I need to follow your example to avoid the sugar binges. eat.gif

Kerc – hope your workout tonight goes well. smile.gif

I was going to go the Y yesterday before it was time to get the older two from daycamp, but didn't make it early enough.  Ended up getting in the pool for a whole 20 minutes, with all 3 kids.  Today, I'm going to try again... but as a back up, I brought my 10 lb kettlebell w/ video to the office and also the 30 day shred video.  I figure I can do it after my last patient of the day and before I head home (will just have to hustle on my notes and stay off of FB).

Happy 1st Day of Summer everyone! 

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Happy Summer!  Although it's about 60, cloudy, and drizzly here.  

D ~ I just posted a recipe to bulk breakfast burritos on my blog in preparation for baby in October.  I'd like to hear Gaye's recipe too!

Gaye ~ How's work?

Jo ~ I'm thinking of you!  Are you settling in?

The house hunting saga: We went to look at the last place we put an offer on AGAIN.  Talked it over, decided we'd pay the price to be able to start moving in and fixing up before baby arrives.  Then we hear of a house going on the market closer to family to buy for sale by owner.  Nice farmhouse, all remodeled, big barn, outdoor wood burning furnace, all the updates but on less land and we'd have to wait til late summer/early fall to move.  BIG decisions to be made here in the next few days.  Any mojo would be greatly appreciated.

My FM has consisted of doing loads and loads of baby boy clothes.  A friend gave me clothes Newborn - 5.. a large tote and 2 black garbage bags full.  I've been busy but getting anxious about baby boy to arrive this fall. :)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
bec

Good luck with the home decisions, jen!!  I know how hard to make those are!

Well, it's after 1pm, and I am still in my pajamas.  I think I'm burned out a little, and just need some rest!  I am starting to get anxious for a run, though.  I wish the gym had better child care hours!

I'm working on sugar binging as well.  It's hard.  I managed to get through last night with none, and have been pretty good so far today, substituting broccoli with ranch dressing for some refined sugar, simple carb yummyness.  It's tough, though! 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM

I have been running and I have been reading, just no posting.  I've been kind of up and down emotionally lately and keeping quiet.  

Good luck, Jen!  goodvibes.gifnamaste.gif  You've got plenty of time to find a place before my visit!  ROTFLMAO.gif

kerc- I hope the muscle pump class goes well!  Can't wait for it to warm up here, is it chilly for you, too? 

I've run 4 miles twice in the last week and wow! I can't believe it!  I seemed to be stuck almost-running-3-and-needing-a-walk-break for EVER.  A more fit running partner has done wonders for me!  love.gif  So, Friday I am leaving to WA to visit my family there.  We are going to Moses Lake, Grayland, through Puyallup, and then down to Seaside, OR and back to Moses on 12.  Any Dingos on that trip?  I am not feeling like going into Seattle even though we'll be close- I'm not sure I want to brave the traffic. 

I am kind of embarrassed to go, the last time I saw my sisters I was 40lbs lighter. redface.gif  I know one sister doesn't care and the other is likely to be snotty and say something awful and rude in front of everyone.  She is just like that.  *sigh*  I will be running, though, on the trip.  Bringing the dog and I am aiming for a mile run each day before we start driving.  Hopefully I can do more than just 1 mile a day, but that is my goal and I think I can make at least that!  

Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM

bec, I would send a letter to skirtsports, as a former customer complaining they might smarten up. Worst case scenario, they do nothing. Best case they apologize, pull any future sexist/sexualizing advertising, and maybe even sen you a coupon or credit for
your time and help.

Nemesis, have a great trip. Sorry that your sister is the type to make snarky weight comments. I have two sisters, too, and know how the snark can be. As way to run! I could use a running partner to push me.

Jen, sending you vibes to peacefully find your perfect home, before your nesting instinct makes you crazy!!

bec and JayGee, good luck with your sugar cutting.

RR- Did the bike run to school this morning, and a short swim planned before class tonight.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM

RR: 8 miles today, 10 miles yesterday. I'm pretty sure I'll sign up for the fall marathon.

NRR: don't like the sports skirts email/add. Ick. Summertime is so super great. Going camping this weekend. Looking forward to some running, hiking, and bike riding.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
bec

Have fun camping, RM!!! 

I got 10 miles of biking in the heat and humidity.  Tomorrow is a bike/swim with the tri class, so I am looking forward to that as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM

breakfast burritos~I wish I could say I had some fancy recipe, but the truth is, I pretty much winged it. I cooked up some chorizo (12 oz, I think?), then set it aside and cooked a package southwestern-style (with peppers and onions) refrigerator hash browns (waaaaay too lazy to cook my own potatoes, that takes too long!), set that aside, scrambled 8 eggs, and then mixed it all together and filled the tortillas with it, with some mexican-blend cheese. I've made this version once before, and it was good, but this was the first time I've frozen it, so we'll see how that goes. I just rolled them in some aluminum foil and tossed them in the freezer. I would like to have some sour cream and salsa in there, but I'm not sure how it would freeze.

First day of mental health clinical, done. It was kind of a bust, in many ways. The facility screwed up their scheduling and wasn't expecting us, so our orientation got mixed up a little and we get tomorrow off (since they have another nursing school there rolleyes.gif) but have to make it up and have three days of clinical one week. Sigh. We didn't go onto the unit until after dinner, and only had a couple of hours there. I'm on the adolescent unit for the first two weeks, and they were in the gym and then having family visitation for the majority of the time. We did get to sit in on their evening group session, which was interesting, but it sounds like my classmates on the adult units had a lot more experience than we did. Oh well. I'm sure we'll get there.

rr~Spin class this morning, with good conversation and a good workout, followed up with a quick 20 minutes on the hamster wheel before DS's swim lesson. I haven't gotten to see his lesson for a few weeks, and I was amazed at the difference. He's doing awesome! So proud of my little man.

Tomorrow, since we don't have clinical, my friend Amy and I are going to join some of my crazy tri friends to ride up a mountain pass. orngbiggrin.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM

RR: Nice 4m yesterday. Rented a bike for the duration of my stay here but it's raining today - I might try for a quick spin anyway. I'm feeling crushed by my regular work-style obligations and not able to adequately bitch about stuff that is either too petty or my own fault, but is still causing me stress.

My seminar is going well. I'm pleased.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM

RM, have a great camping trip!

Gaye, home the mental health clinical gets better. Have a good run

Penelope, glad the seminar is going well.

RR- only had time for 1000m in the pool yesterday. And a busy day tonight. Maybe a run tomorrow night?

NRR- Spent time searching the house for poop this morning when my youngest came to me for help with a bum wipe. She "don't remember"
where she had pooped and I hadn't heard the toilet flush. My oldest finally told me she had heard a flush while I was in the shower. I hope so, because I didnt find poop anywhere.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM
bec

MelW - I don't know which I would find more disturbing.  The possibility of the poop not being in the toilet, or not finding poop elsewhere!lol.gif

Penelope - Glad your seminar is going well.  Sometimes it's the little things that push us over the edge (especially if we are the ones that caused it). 

Gaye - Isn't it awesome seeing them learn to swim?!  This is the first summer we aren't doing swim lessons with the girls (too expensive and we are too busy this summer!), but they are all swimming pretty well.  Abby was really doing an awesome job when we were at the hotel. 

So, it has been one big adventure around here in the past 24 hours!  Our power went out last night around 9pm, and came back on around 2pm today!  It was totally the suck!  I'm so grateful that it came back on though, because the reports are that the over 300,000 people without power are going to have to wait several days before getting power back.  So, I'm pretty please to only be in the 17 hour range!

Still waiting to hear if we are having an open water swim tonight followed by a bike ride, or if we are just having an indoor pool swim.  The weather has been so bad we have only gotten to workout outside a handful of times for tri class this spring!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:43 PM

Nic, I can't believe you signed up for the Marine Corps. clap.gif

JenLove sending mojo dust.gif

Love following along. Getting ready to leave for our big trip in two days. I'm frantic. So frantic that I am at the pool (Resort pool where my friend belongs, 30 minute drive) and I forgot my bathing suit! Aaargh! duh.gif And I really needed a workout; I'm just that frantic. Guess I'll just dangle my legs in the pool and do something else... duh.gifduh.gifduh.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Getting ready to leave for our big trip in two days.

Are you flying or driving?

Pool sounds lovely. 48, rainy, and very windy here. Blech.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Wow. WHAT A RIDE. I have a new favorite ride. love.gif It was amazing, so absolutely gorgeous. 16 miles up to the top. We were planning on continuing on down to Idaho Springs on the other side, but we were out of time because we were so slow going up. orngtongue.gif So, we rode a couple of miles down to Echo Lake and then back up and over the top. There's a spot on the climb up where you look out and to one side you can see Denver, the airport (which is waaaaay out on the eastern side of town), and out to the plains and you look the other way and have a panoramic view of snow-capped mountains. Just unbelievable. Here's a picture from that spot:

And here's one from Echo Lake.

In some ways, it's probably good that we didn't have time to do the full ride, since my legs are kind of DONE right now. orngbiggrin.gif

Seriously, this is why I live in Colorado. love.gif

Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Gaye ~ wow!  Seriously, that's all I can say!  That and I'm so jealous of your ride orngbiggrin.gif.

Things have been way too crazy and hectic around here.  I need to get a run and a swim in this morning, badly.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Gaye, you're so beautiful and the scenery is just amazing. smile.gif

FM: I biked 10m in pouring rain, destroying my phone in the process. I think I can probably get a charger for my old phone which is in my computer bag - there's a place in Harvard Square. But man, I'm a moron. orngtongue.gif I'm thinking of biking on Sat. or Sun. to Walden Pond, as it's only about 15m and if the weather is decent would be one of those epic adventures. I'm not quite inclined to do it alone without a phone, so we'll see if I can either round up a friend or fix my phone issue. One of the guys at the seminar seemed interested when I got my bike in doing some biking this weekend, so I guess I should check with him.

I'm so not used to all! this! time! on my hands. It's freaky. I miss my kids big-time but they are having fun with Nana.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 AM
bec

Gaye - Just gorgeous!!!!  I showed the kids the pictures to give them an idea of what kind of scenery they will be seeing in a few weeks!

So, I had a big long post written, and it won't post for some reason.  Here's hoping this one posts! 

Had tri class last night.  It was a rainy, windy lake swim.  I got to try out my new wet suit.  I found out that it is actually called a skin suit, and I can use it in tris, even if the water temperature is too warm to allow regular wet suits.  I really liked swimming in it!  I did manage to have a wave go right into my throat, down the wrong pipe as I was breathing in and had to tread water for a while as I choked.  I managed to not drown, and the rest of the 3/4 mile swim was pretty good. 

Today, I'm helping my mom set up her booth for her show this weekend (it's just down the street at the Lake County Fairgrounds), and I'm about to bring my older dog into the vet to have a tumor on his chin removed.  Healthy, non-cancerous vibes appreciated!  He's 10 years old, and I am just not ready to have them tell me that this is the end of the line.  And, unfortunately, we are reaching the end of pet budget.  I hate that I have to put a price on my animals.greensad.gif

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM

I'm reading along but have nothing to post RR-wise. In kind of a funk; dh has been out of town for three days, and working long hours otherwise since we got back (to make up for going away) so Im a little burnt on kid duty, I think that's it. He gets back tonight, and actually has sat, sun AND mon off. phew.

Gaye - seriously.... how you gonna do that to us? EVERY trail in the county here is closed until Halloween!! I sh** you not. Fire danger. we're about ready to move a little north winky.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Kerc, we're flying again so we can bring the dog along. I'm already tired thinking about it! It's a 30-hour trip broken up this year by the TKD World Tournament. I've never checked a dog into a hotel and I'm pretty nervous that he's too big. I mean, I *know* he's too big but I'm hoping we can get away with it b/c I just don't have any other options. Anybody here have advice about checking a dog into a hotel? I know their policy allows it but it says 40-50 lb limit. redface.gif He might be 60-65 on a skinny day. fingersx.gif He's on a diet.

Gaye, love the pictures!

Penelope, GL with the bike ride. I'm looking forward to a Boston and Walden Pond visit myself this summer. Hope it's nice weather for the ride.

Bec, sending good vibes for the vet visit. dust.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Loftmama ~ We always got a hotel with rooms that allowed dogs but took them in the side door with our luggage anyway.  That would be a good way around it. :)

Gaye ~ Beautiful pictures - sounds like an equally beautiful ride.

My friend who is a chiro just left.  He gave us all adjustments and DH will pay him back with computer work.  Love that set up! :)  He said my hips and back felt really good for pregnancy.  Yay!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Well, that workout was crappy greensad.gif.  I ran 4.5 miles, which was okay until the last mile when my back started radiating pain down into my leg.  Then I got into the pool, thinking it would feel good, but every time I turned my head to breathe, the same pain radiated down my leg from my back.  I ended up getting out of the pool after only 900 yards.  Luckily, I have a chiro appointment tomorrow morning.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Lofty do you mean driving again? (aorry can't make the quote go above my comment). Is this the annual 2 weeks in NY?  And just like jenlove I've always brought my dog in the side door, with my luggage. Biggest issue is if it is hot and say you want to go out to eat -- can't leave him in the hotel room, can't leave him in the car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Kerc, we're flying again so we can bring the dog along. I'm already tired thinking about it! It's a 30-hour trip broken up this year by the TKD World Tournament.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM

lofty ~ we've always had good luck bringing animals into Residence Inns.  Of course, that's two cats, but I don't recall them having a weight or size restriction.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
bec

I got news from the vet.  Gromit came through the surgery with flying colors.  It took a while for them to get the entire thing out (it went deep, I guess).  But, he is in recovery and I will pick him up in a couple of hours.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Penelope--have fun on that bike ride. Bummer about your phone though. Ugh.

tjsmama--sounds like a great ride. We drove that way once and I remember the scenery being beautiful.

bec--glad you got through the swim ok, despite the wave issue. I'm too chicken to attempt an open-water swim so far.

JayGee--hope the chiro is able to fix you and you'll be pain-free again.

RR: biked 20 miles with J in the trailer and then swam in the evening yesterday. Ran 6 with 4 at tempo today, pushing J in the jogger. The first few miles were ok but my legs were dead and I was struggling with my breathing after that. I'd already used the rescue inhaler when I'd stopped at the library earlier in the run, so pretty much the answer was to stop, catch my breath and continue. Things are improving in that area for sure, but I really notice it when it comes to speedwork.

Hoping to fit in a short ride, run 3 miles, and swim some tomorrow. Not sure how I'm going to fit that all in between 9 and 3, though I'm hoping to combine the bike with a Target stop for a few last-minute essentials.

NRR: We're headed up to Estes Park in the evening (DH is doing a presentation at a conference Saturday morning and we're tagging along), so packing needs to get done sometime in there too.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 

User Tag List