June is a great time for running -- June Dingo thread.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, welcome to june. It's national running day, get out there!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#2 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Kerc - You drink a soda or are you just jazzed up on running and shopping? lol.gif  I watched Biggest Loser.  It and Glee were the only things I ever made an effort to watch while we still had tv (canceled it yesterday joy.gif)  Anyway, yeah, I think you could do it.  I was inspired as I watched the formerly morbidly obese ladies shrink past my own weight.  I had a rough week on my low carb life last week, I was cheating here and there which apparently coincided with whatever time of the month it is that makes me bloat out like a dead seal on a hot day.  Today I seem to have shrunk and my weight is once again down in the 140's (I'd like to end up in the high 130's) so I've got hope again.  Anyway, I bet if you really do keep at the running and maybe do some dietary tweaking you could totally hit your goal.

Hit the pool early this morning and did lots of brick saving.  Sadly I don't think my brick would consider me much of a hero, I managed to get it to the side of the pool with its neck stabilized but the catch was it was underwater the whole time.  I'll have to work on that.

U/SR: Just got the word that there are two tiny ut. fibroids but nothing to worry about otherwise.  Turns out that all the stooping and squatting and bending and straightening seems to be really helping my effing hip.  Who'd a thought exercise would help?  JK I know all of you knew that already!

Happy June!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#3 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Kerc - You drink a soda or are you just jazzed up on running and shopping? lol.gif

Jazzed up on shopping? er, no. Just annoyed that I cannot find anything to wear that's remotely stylish, appropriate and affordable. But on the dietary tweaks .... June is soda + alcohol free month for me. I figured the 200 calories in a beer every day weren't helping. And soda always = less water drinking.

Pleased to hear the hip is better....even if it is sort of better.

#4 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM

I have a bad habit of not posting for a few days because I get behind and overwhelmed by what I want to say vs. the capacity of my brain to remember it all long enough to post. Then I make a plan to take notes, and the toddler steals the pen and  tries to tattoo herself/her sister/her doll/the fridge with it and I give up... So thank you for the June thread (plus nap-time) for helping me post.

Real, Gaye & Jen, terrific races and fun race reports!!

La, I love the spontaneous compliment from the drive-by-runner.

RR- I've been doing daily short bike rides, and fit in a 40 min. swim yesterday. I really, really miss running. And bootcamp, which I can't do with my current work schedule, since I teach both evenings that it's offered. My weight is the same, but I'm feeling softer and less strong and cal feel a little love handle creeping up my back over the past couple of months. I want to run hard and feel strong again :(

NRR- It's my birthday tomorrow, and my gift from the family is that they're going away Sat/Sun and I get to stay home all by myself!!! The weather is supposed to be fantastic, so I'm planning a hike up the valley, and maybe my first lake swim of the year (hit the ocean last weekend, but didn't really swim because I had both kids with me). Part of me feels like I should go out on Saturday night, but the temptation to go to bed early and sleep well is pretty strong, too.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Oh my golly MelW that sounds like a PERFECT birthday!!! I know what Im asking for next year

Kerc - Ive never in my life had a PCP. I just went to a gyno when the need arose, but pretty much, unless Im about to die of pneumonia, I havent gone to doctors..... but yes, dr. dh is good for strep tests lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#6 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

Then I make a plan to take notes, and the toddler steals the pen and  tries to tattoo herself/her sister/her doll/the fridge with it and I give up...

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#7 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Part 2 of my 3 part workout for the day is done ~ 2000 yards in the pool.  Group ride to come tonight!  Today is the MOST perfect summer day.  Bright sunshine, low humidity and a toasty 91 degrees.  After the big kids got out of school at 10:30am, we had lunch with friends and headed to one of the pools on the Air Force Base to swim.  The pool was SO freaking cold!  But anything feels refreshing when it's this warm.  Now everyone is relaxing and enjoying some down time at home.

kerc ~ I think 15 lbs by Labor Day is totally do-able.  In fact, I need to lose about the same amount.  A month of bingeing/depression has ballooned me up to almost 130 (and I'm only 5'1", so that's in the "overweight" range for my height).  I'll join you in giving up the beer.... as soon as we finish off the 12 pack of Killians I picked up this past weekend bag.gif.

MelW ~ that sounds like the best birthday weekend, ever!  Enjoy!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#8 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM

jog.gif

Yep, still tired. In theory, I could have gotten a nap this afternoon, since we got out of orientation early. In reality, um, not so much. And now I have a 7 am meeting with my nurse educator tomorrow, so that's one less hour of sleep I will be getting tonight. rolleyes.gif At least I can (kind of) sleep in on Saturday. Although not too long if I want to get a workout in, and then shop for a wedding present and something to wear to a 5 pm wedding.

The upside of orientation today was that they let all the flex employees go home at lunch (yet we still get paid for the full day) because the afternoon was going to be about benefits, which we don't get. So, I got to go to DS's preschool class picnic, and I'm so glad. It was nice. And sad. I got a little teary about his last day of preschool EVER. Sniff.

Then, since we had the time (and really, there was no way DS would have let me nap anyway), we went to the Y. I had zero motivation, but I forced myself to get in and swim 1000 yds. That's about all I could make myself do, but at least it's something, right?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#9 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Today is the MOST perfect summer day.  Bright sunshine, low humidity and a toasty 91 degrees. 

Um.  I'm glad you like it.  I'd be dying in that heat.

MelW - birthday.gif  Enjoy your quiet weekend!  Mine is Friday.  Dh and I are going on a two night w/o kids to Seattle to see U2.  I had tickets for last year and then they canceled the tour but as it turns out it is much much more convenient this year.

RR: Well, I failed at getting a run in for National Running Day but I did finally get my bike out and ride it in and out of town instead of driving.  My goal - which I am stating out loud here for accountability purposes - is to use my bike for at least one round trip to town each day.  On a typical day I'll have to go in two or three times.  Often I'll stay in town trying to stay busy just to avoid another trip but I've got so many things I need to do at home I hate to feel like I'm wasting hours that way.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#10 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Here's the race list for the June thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

Naughty Dingo - Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake Trail Marathon - July 9

Realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 9

memiles - Warrior Dash - July 16

Nemesis and dh - Minnesota Warrior Dash - July 23

tjsmama - Courage Classic Bike Tour - July 23-25

Realrellim - Lookout Mountain Triathlon - July 23

MotivatedMama - Beach to Beacon 10K - August 6

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 7

bec - Bangs Lake Multisport Festival (Olympic distance triathlon) - August 14

tjsmama -  Venus de Miles Road Ride - August 28

mommajb - Indy Women's Half Marathon - September 3

bec and bec's dh - Warrior Dash Upper Midwest - September 17

mommajb - Columbus Marathon - October 16

bec - Hot Chocolate 15K - November 5

Naughty Dingo - Seattle Marathon - November 27

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post
#11 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

run.gif2011 Dingo Race Results  partytime.gif

babybugmama - Walt Disney World Half Marathon - January 8 (First half of Goofy challenge) - 2:21:14
babybugmama - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9 (Completion of Goofy Challenge) - 5:08:02
Nickaroloberry - Disney Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 4:59:14 (PR!)

HomeBirthMommy - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 6:12:57

Realrellim - Frosty's Frozen 5 and 10, 10 miles - Jaunary 15 - 1:33:51

Tjsmama - Yeti Chase 10K - January 22 - 1:05:18

Realrellim - Snowman Stampede 10 miles - February 19 - 1:29:05

Nickarolaberry - Scrub J 10K - February 19 - 1:01:42

JayGee - Ofallon YMCA Indoor Triathlon - February 26 - 47:14

modmom - Disney Princess Half Marathon - February 27 - 2:16

Runningmommy - 10K - March 5 - 47:16

Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 13 - 2:03:50 (PR!)

Nickarolaberry - Springfest 5K - March 19 - 26:43 (PR!)

MelW - CVRR Half Marathon - March 20 - 2:10:51 (PR!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:34:57 (PR!)

Mel38, poppywise - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 2 - 1:09:18 

bec, and bec's dh - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 9 - 37:40

Nickarolaberry - 10K - April 9 - 58:45 (PR!)

Realrellim - Platte River Half Marathon - April 10 - 1:57:38 (PR!)

Geofizz - runcbus 10 miler - April 10 - 1:34:42

Penelope - Lincoln Half Marathon - May 1 - 2:17:42

Bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 7 - 2:43:20

Naughty Dingo - Lake Monona 20K - May 7 - 1:50

Naughty Dingo - Syttende Mai 20 Mile - May 14 - 3:15 

tjsmama - Summer Open Sprint Triathlon (converted to duathlon due to weather) - May 22 - 1:34:23

Mel38 - Charleston Sprin Triathlon Series - May 22 - 1:31:07

Naughty Dingo - Madison Marathon - May 29 - 4:29:43

Realrellim - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 30 - 55:33

tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10 K - May 30 - 57:13

doctorjen - Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 30 - 27:39

bec - Naperville Triathlon - June 12 - 1:51:24 

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - June 25 - 3:40:16

Realrellim - Grand Park Run for Independence - July 2

doctorjen - Streator Run for Glory 5K - July 2 - 26:27

2010 Results

#12 of 381 Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Hi all. Subbing.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#13 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Yesterday's training day ended well with 23 miles on the bike with some women from the local bike shop.  And I made a new friend!  I already started today with a 3 mile run before everyone got up.  I'm planning to run M-Th mornings, between 2 and 3 miles through the summer, and then do a longer run on Saturday or Sunday morning.  At least by getting all the running in early I'll avoid the heat/humidity and be able to do a swim or bike during my regular workout time.  Plus, I really like starting my day off with a run.

First full day of summer break here ~ we're buying new swimsuits for all 3 kids, going to the library and making a plan for the next 2 1/2 months.  I do not want to fritter away the summer.  So far we're doing a reading program (designed by me), a weekly adventure every Friday, a weekly science experiment (ideas from scientist dingoes appreciated), and all three kids made Sunshine Math binders to work through over the summer.  Plus lots of pool time, playing time, and enjoying our almost-done backyard time!

#14 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Go Jaygee!! broc1.gif That reminds me to get some sort of program going for these kids, even if its just "strewing" [workbooks around the house].

On that subject dd1 is a voracious reader, as I know other 8 year olds are on this thread. She reads at the upper end of the 9-14 level which is getting harder for me to find age appropriate books (i.e. no preteen sexual inuendo, body image concerns, menstrual initiation etc.) Any suggestions?

OMG, I came here to say something that I thought must have been worth posting for and now I totally cant remember! lol.gif Maybe later ....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#15 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
On that subject dd1 is a voracious reader, as I know other 8 year olds are on this thread. She reads at the upper end of the 9-14 level which is getting harder for me to find age appropriate books (i.e. no preteen sexual inuendo, body image concerns, menstrual initiation etc.) Any suggestions?

notes.gif myself as we're gearing up for summer.

Erin's reading Percy Jackson right now, having finished Harry Potter.

We read The Magician's Nephew as a family (the first book in the Narnia books). I liked it and I'm not a fantasy reader.

She also just read The Indian in the Cupboard, which she liked and I'm pleased that there's apparently a whole series. I don't love the "Indian" part of it, but it provided a nice context to talk about stereotypes.

#16 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Mel and Plady--Happy Birthday!  Both of your plans sound wonderful.  I hope they mark the start of the best year ever.

JayGee--I'm jealous that your summer is starting already.  We had so many snow days this year, my kids are in school until June 23rd.  I'm so done.  For the past week I've forgotten to send stuff to school with my kids nearly every day.  Library books, homework folder, gym sneakers, and, today, a note saying DD can take the bus home instead of being picked up as usual.  Ugh.  My mom-self is rapidly deteriorating.  I need a vacation.

As far as science stuff, have you done liquid chromatography?  Cut a strip of coffee filter, put a dot with a dark marker, pen, or food coloring on it, dip the bottom below the dot in water or acetone or rubbing alcohol (depending on the ink type) and watch the ink separate into its components.  When I was teaching I ran a crime lab and we used this method to determine which of several black pens wrote the note from the killer, as each formula of ink has a specific signature.

We also made oobleck at one point, which is cornstarch and water and is a non-Newtownian fluid (the faster you stir it, the harder it gets to stir), which can lead to a nice discussion of Newton's laws and the exceptions to those laws.

We also made density columns using all sorts of stuff, the instructions for which I found on the internet.  If you pour slowly enough, you can very dramatically pour something of higher density through lower density fluids without completely destroying everything.  I used food coloring for the different substances, which made for a pretty layered column. 

Fun summer!

I ran just over 3 miles this morning and right this moment should be using my time wisely to vacuum the rug.  Instead, I'm here on the internet, where I will probably remain until I frantically need to get into the shower and pick up DS to go meet my mom an hour away for lunch.  My grandmother will be there, too, which is stressful as she is 83 years old, still living on her own, and is becoming more and more addled all the time.  I wish I could help my mom more, as she is frustrated and upset most of the time.  It sucks to get old.  It also sucks to watch people you love get old and in the process lose every part of their personality bit by bit.  Almost all of the grandmother I knew as a child, the smart, sarcastic, funny, kind, fearless woman has faded away.

#17 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Missed the June thread.  Waiting on Elliot to get picked up after a PTO meting so I can photocopy my final, get donuts, and give the final.  Then I have a faculty meeting.  Without the playdate solution I'm hosed.  C'mon.  Show up lady!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

notes.gif myself as we're gearing up for summer.

Erin's reading Percy Jackson right now, having finished Harry Potter.

We read The Magician's Nephew as a family (the first book in the Narnia books). I liked it and I'm not a fantasy reader.

She also just read The Indian in the Cupboard, which she liked and I'm pleased that there's apparently a whole series. I don't love the "Indian" part of it, but it provided a nice context to talk about stereotypes.

http://geofizzgirl.livejournal.com/142087.html

http://geofizzgirl.livejournal.com/139158.html

Science experiments:

Last week was maps week for DS:  I checked out a bunch of books on maps and got him a compass.  Next will be birds week - bird books and a kite.  A friend loaned us a water toy where you can build locks in a canal, and we've been doing that after DS got obsessed with understanding how the Panama Canal is made.    We've also used a kitchen thermometer to figure out what temperature we like our drinks (coffee, cocao, water, ice water, orange juice), and then to figure out how long it takes a hot cup of coffee to get to each of those temperatures for a couple of different cup styles (insulated, ceramic, metal).  For the Death of the Dino fans, we've dropped different sized objects (mostly different sized bouncy balls) into a dishpan of flour and measured how big of a crater it makes.  We experimented with dropping the different objects from higher up. 

#18 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Books:
Walk Two Moons
Island of the Blue Dolphins
The Mysterious Benedict Society (series of 3)
From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E.
Gaia Girls Way of Water
Alanna: The First Adventure (series of 3)

This last one was where my concern started. She found it recommended in Cricket. Then one day she asks me "what's puberty?" because the 13 year old protagonist (who is Joan of Ark basically) had just started her period and was getting breasts [but is trying to hide the fact that she's a girl so she can fight). And I thought, ok no Superfudge, no Are you There God...?

Science: We made various parachutes (different sizes and weights), measured and weighed them all, then attached them to eggs (string and duct tape in equal weights) and dropped eggs off the house -> looking at gravity and air resistance...

#19 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Books ~ anything by Andrew Clements, Kay is readying "The Report Card" right now and Jacob enjoyed a few of them this school year; is Ramona past her level, because we've enjoyed lots of Beverly Cleary too.  Jacob is reading a book called "Belly Up" right now that he's really into; it's about a hippo that is mysteriously murdered at the zoo and is actually very funny (yes, I've read it...).

Thanks a MILLION for the science ideas!

#20 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Penelope--Everything about me is better when I get more sleep, too.  It's just a matter of logistically making that happen.  It usually doesn't happen here.  Right now it's 9:45.  Kids are in bed, DH is addicted to some dumb computer game again (Everquest, maybe?) that he hasn't played in years, so I should really just go to bed.  Instead I'll putter around for hours until it's late and be tired in the morning.  Even when I see it, I am helpless to stop it.  shake.gif  Congrats on the mostly good evaluations!

Lunch with my mom and grandmother was okay, although my grandmother, who used to be the best gift-buyer I know, has no idea about the existence of Mother's Day and Father's Day.  Both are baffling to her, and she said she asked several people in stores before Mother's Day if they had heard of it and they all said no.  She is similarly skeptical about Father's Day.  She also asked if she's missed DD's birthday, which is in July.  Then she was trying to talk to me about buying a new TV, but had lost the word TV and any descriptive terms that might have helped the conversation.

On my way home I decided to stop into the blood drive up the road and see if I could sneak in without an appointment, as it's been two months and one of my resolutions this year was to give blood as often as possible, despite (or, knowing my personality, probably because of) my fear of needles.  Two different nurses poked my fingers and tested, because maybe the first nurse did it wrong?  Or my left hand potentially had more iron than my right hand?  The end result was a refusal of my blood today.  Ack.  DS, who is five and gets dragged on errands like this, thought it was super-funny that I got poked in two different fingers.

My problem then was trying to get the nurses to talk to me about a time frame in fixing this lack of iron.  I asked the nurse when I'd be eligible to try again.  She said I could try the very next day.  I asked if it was likely I would have raised my iron levels by then, and she had no answer.  I asked if 12.2, the level of iron in my blood, and 12.5, the level required for donation, were really far apart, and nobody answered that one, either.  What I was trying to get at was this: Is it likely, if I go home and take an iron pill, that my level of iron will have increased by .3 by tomorrow?  A week from now?  A month from now?  What is the iron scale like, and how hard is it to move up .3 on it?  Could I fluctuate that much over the course of a single day, or is it going to take some effort?  I suppose it must be hard to have knowledge of something and then have someone asking you questions about it that are so elementary, you can't even get at what they are trying to ask.  I'd think, though, that a common concern when blood is refused would be how fast the problem could be corrected.

The end result is I was told to eat more meat and spinach.  I'll try to remember the iron pills, too.

No running tomorrow, as DS doesn't have school on Fridays and we have a playdate in the morning.  I dropped off my car at the car-fixing place tonight, in the hopes that they will be able to change the oil and fix, for not too high a price, the knocking sound when I apply the brakes.  The place is just over 3.5 miles from my house, so it's likely I'll end up carrying DS piggyback there sometime mid-afternoon tomorrow, since I need my car to get the kids to DH's work when he's done so I can get to my work on time.  I don't know of anyone I could tap to drive us there, so walking it may be.

Have a good evening, morning, and weekend!

#21 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I had a crazy busy work day today and ran out of time to workout at the y. But running related: popped in my 6 week 6 pack video and did 30 minutes of cardio/core stuff. Boring, but I don't have a treadmill and my husband is out of town.

sleep, yes. indeed. I didn't get enough last night and paid dearly today.

#22 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 PM

JayGee, you're inspiring!

Science experiments:
Using red cabbage juice as a pH indicator
Chromatography with candies
And lots of good ones here: http://www.scienceworld.ca/make-stuff

La, the iron wouldn't change your result by tomorrow (it would
probably take a couple of weeks). They were maybe counting on the variations/error of margin in their testing. A bit of dehydration would bring your number up by tomorrow, but not a great idea for blood donation wink1.gif

Birthday today was busy, but good. Biked kids to school, made risotto for dinner while working from home, biked to the gym and did 30 mins weight training circuit, biked home, had lunch with my husband, went to work and taught lab, and finished early and made it home in time to see the kids before they went to bed. The girls bought me a lily for the garden, and I'm enjoying some vitamin water before bed.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#23 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM

lala~According to this fact sheet, the new red blood cells start being formed within a couple of days of supplementation, but it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the hemoglobin count to increase. I'd say it depends on how low you were. If you were borderline, I bet if you ate a nice big steak or burger, you'd probably be fine within a couple of days. If it was significant, I'd wait longer.

One more fun day of orientation. Not. I thought today would be the day where we actually started learning what we are going to do, but not so much. Instead, it was more boring stuff about risk management, and interpreter services and blahblahblah. At least we got to go home at noon. I had a few hours with DS (including one last magnificent tantrum that resulted from me yelling at him for climbing on me--literally, on my back--as I was trying to talk to the vet's office on the phone rolleyes.gif) and then shipped him off to Ohio with XH. Ahhhh. I know I'm going to miss him soon enough, but I have to admit, I'm sure enjoying the peace and quiet and freedom. bag.gif

Since I could, I went to the Denver Trail Runners group run. I've run with their Sunday group a few times, but never been able to make it to the Thursday group. It was a huge group. And ridiculously fast. There were a couple of slower runners my speed, including one who turned out to be the girlfriend of a guy I know through Twitter. She just moved here from Texas, so even though I can tell she's really quite a bit faster than me, the altitude was kicking her butt, so we ran pretty well together. Altogether, just under 6 miles on some of my favorite trails and a new friend. And then Noodles for dinner. eat.gif

Time to wrap things up and get to bed. One more day of orientation in the morning...8-4, woohoo!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#24 of 381 Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 PM

Hi all.

It's 2 a.m. and for some reason I am up and can't get back to sleep. I will not be loving life in about 4 hours but at least I'll sleep in on Saturday (I hope).

Wednesday's "National Running Day" run was a fail. Did not feel well, GI issues. I hate that feeling like you're going to lose it in the middle of the run and the only thing to do is stop and walk and pray you make it home in time. eyesroll.gif  Thursday's was a bit better although I kind of bonked by the end and walked the last .25 mile. It was hot, I was really tired, and I hadn't actually had much to eat all day when I thought about it...oh well.

Work is starting to wrap up, Monday is the last day with students and then I'm there all the rest of the week cleaning up the classroom, etc. I am off with my kids the following week and have to find time to pack up everything we'll need for the summer plus some other stuff to take with me as dh will be packing the house for the movers after I'm gone and there are some things I know will get badly packed or missed... still it's a chore I'm glad not to be having to do. Unless I fly down on my own and help him which wouldn't be bad...I mean packing up a house isn't exactly a great 'date' but it would mean we'd be alone together! lol.gif

Anyway. Lots coming, and hopefully some running to deal with it all.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#25 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 AM

Why, oh why, can I not sleep past 5:30am in the summer???  Argh! 

Nic ~ I actually would choose to fly down and help my DH help pack the house lol.gif, but I crave alone time with him too so I understand.  I hope your last few weeks go smoothly.  Take a deep breath, and dive in!

Gaye ~ that trail run sounds great!  And a new friend is always good.  As are noodles!

MelW ~ thanks for more science experiment ideas thumb.gif

Lala ~ your posts never fail to make me laugh!  You've got a real way with words.

Day off today, so no running, but we are having a family adventure of some kind (DH is off), so I know I'll be doing "something".  Yesterday afternoon DD2 fell off her bike onto her face and it really looked like she might have broken her cheekbone.  It swelled up and turned purple immediately.  She was screaming about how much it hurt and that she couldn't move her mouth.  I had two extra kids at my house and neither of their parents were home, so there was no way to drive her to the ER with all those children. I ended up calling 911 and the ambulance came.  Luckily, the EMT was "almost" sure it was just a really bad bruise and we didn't transport, but whoa, what a scare!  My hardcore little trooper was back out on her bike hammering up hills by 7:00 last night though!  We'll see how her face looks this morning.  Last night she looked like a black and blue chipmunk!

#26 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yikes, JayGee.  When my kids have had banged up faces, I've felt compelled to put them in that "I do all my own stunts" t-shirt for fear someone might report me otherwise.

Mel - That website is fantastic!

I'm bringing DS and my new CrackPad (for all values of Crack = i) to work today.  Then his last private swim lesson.  Then grab DD at school, and somehow get the kids to the pool, and find some time to make a cover of the CrackPad since I can't stomach the $40-$60 they're selling for.  Think I can do this without the pattern?

I went to the PTO mommy's party last night.  For those of you who don't know, I live in a *very* fancy neighborhood.  I got to see how the other half lives.  {Though honestly, I acknowledge that it's really just the other other half...}  The host owns a winery in Napa with award-winning wine.  Fancy food.  Fancy wine.  Fancy people.  Fancy house.  A mixture of really interesting and fun people with unbelievably dull people whose priorities I find baffling.

Now it's just 50 final exams and 50 final projects between me and summer.

#27 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Happy birthday Plady and Mel! Are you going to get that solo swim, Mel? That sounded like a fantastic plan.

JG: Oh no, poor girl!! That sounds really painful! Thank goodness it's just a bruise, but that can take a long time healing, too.

Geo: Sounds like an interesting party - and I wish I had a friend who owned a vineyard! Do you mean that we are also the "other half" so these people are the "other, other half"? Sometimes I have to have things spelled out for me. lol.gif

Gaye, hang in there! Just one more day...

Got my run in today, just 3 miles. I am in a complete rut with these 3-milers! It's all my RP wants to do, and I lack the gumption to go somewhere else and plan my own longer run, or speedwork - whichever. I need both.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#28 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Geo what happened to your nanny? (It sounds like you're doing double time with the kids this week?) report back on the ipad. I see us getting one this fall.

Happy birthday plady!

Nic - sorry to hear your run was a bust. Happy last Friday of work.

My neighbor children whose parents are on a mission trip to Russia are coming over for dinner. I adore these kids. Really they are the reason my children aren't in a charter school and that we still live here (vs. moving 5 miles to be out in the woods). Leah Lu has been asking for about 2 weeks now when the "kids dinner party" is. Their parents are nice too...

#29 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM

I think I'm caught up around here now.  Whew...that June thread slipped right by me.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEL AND PLADY!  I hope your days are filled with fun things, treats, and maybe a run. ;)

JG ~ How scary!  I hope she's feeling better this morning! ((Hugs))

House update: some big things on the home inspection but we are getting estimates for it all now.  It looks as though our rental is going to be sold and we'll have a notice soon to be out by a certain date.  We've shown the house 4 times since Monday, and some showings to the same people who came with contractors.

Today I'm not babysitting, V slept in, and she's in a good mood.  It HAS TO BE a good day!  Happy Friday all. :)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#30 of 381 Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 AM

Happy June thread! biggrinbounce.gif

I biked 10 this morning, took the kids to childcare, am now at work about to register incoming students... busyness. I have a ton of yardwork to do at home and am going to try to sneak in a run before PT tomorrow morning, so I can report to her how my legs/feet/knees are doing.

It's hot and sweaty here. That's all I can say. I think we'll have to break down and use the A/C today.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page