An appetite supressant that works? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently 10 months PP and have really had a struggle with losing weight. I currently am 5'8 and weigh 156 pounds. I would love to get to 140 but would be happy with 145. I carry all my weight in my thighs and lovehandles and also a little in my belly from baby. when DD was younger I was able to work out more often because she would be content in her jumper while I exercised. Now this is not possible. I also work full time, so the only sort of exercise I am able to get other than the tons of walking I do at my job.. is taking a stroll with my daughter. Which obviously has not helped my weight loss. I do believe that my biggest problem lies with portion control. I was raised on "clean your plate" and I just can NOT throw food away, there is just a mental blockage there and I can't do it. I also tend to eat 2 or 3 larger (typically healthy) meals during the day and pretty much gorge myself when I do get to eat.. as opposed to light snacking and smaller meals throughout the day. but my job and my busy schedule just does not allow me to snack throughout the day. So the only thing I can think of to help me is perhaps an appetite supressant which would help control my portions. Does anyone know of any appetite supressants that ACTUALLY work? Or any suggestions for me in general? Thank you for reading shy.gif

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM

years ago I worked at a kiosk at a mall. we sold metabolife supplements and people swore by them. Not sure if they are still being made though? Are you breastfeeding though? Probably won't find a diet pill that's safe for nursing. I looked at Alli's website and even that says not while breastfeeding. I hope you find something that works for you.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 PM

The only thing that ever worked for me was pulled from the market years ago. I recently read that the vitamin bitter orange helps with suppressing the appetite. I have problems with portion control and late night eating. :)

Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 PM

i've had pretty good luck with this: 6-8oz water (warm or cold, but i think warm works better for appetite suppressing), 1-2 tb lemon juice, 1-2tb apple cider vinegar (the kind with the "mother" in it), 1-2 dashes of cayenne pepper (to tolerance), add stevia to taste. HTH!

Also, avoiding sugar and foods high in sugar are going to help you resist binging.

married to my sweetheart 12yrs, semi-crunchy mommy to three very attached girls (dd1-3/30/05, dd2 born at 28wks-9/20/07), and dd3 born at home-8/3/10)
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 AM

I agree with beth144 that avoiding sugar (if you don't already) will help resist binging.

I don't know of any appetite suppressants per se but I know that not having much appetizing food in the house works wonders for me. So no crackers, chips, cookies, white bread, boxed cereals, flavored yogurts, flavored spreads, instant flavored oatmeals, flavored/salted nuts, any other kinds of snacks/fillers. You already said you don't snack, which is great. Maybe just try to make your meals less palatable: for example, make a big pot of soup and eat it with wholegrain toast and butter for a few days in a row. Have oatmeal and milk (no sugar!) or eggs and toast for breakfast every morning. Have fruit and plain nuts in the fridge in case you get hungry in between meals. You probably won't want to overeat with that kind of diet, because it's boring! Anyway, that is the best appetite suppressant method that I know. Just make sure you are getting enough fat, protein and calories to be satisfied, otherwise you will be left feeling hungry and possibly end up binging. And, if you are still breastfeeding, and since you walk a lot at work, I wouldn't try to restrict/count your calories - let the reduction come naturally, otherwise it could very well be a futile struggle.

Also, if you have a strong need to clean your plate, you could try taking smaller portions. Remind yourself that if you're still hungry after what looks like a small portion, you can always take more. After eating the smallish portion and waiting a few minutes for it to settle you often won't want more anyway. It's easy to take a bigger plateful than you really need when you are hungry and haven't eaten for hours.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Coconut oil.  1 TBS 3xday.  Read Sally Fallon "Eat Fat Lose Fat" for more in depth info.

Mother to 6
13, 11, 9, 6, 4, 1
Pray, Hope and Don't Worry
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM

I recently discovered this shake called Shakeology that I REALLY like...you'll have to message me for more info or else I'll get pinged for advertising :)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM

I didn't get my appetite under control until I switched to eating lower carb.  I follow the Primal Blueprint way of eating.  You can read about it at marks daily apple.   I lost 10 lbs the first month, but I have a lot to lose.  The first week was very hard.  After that, I've had no cravings and have to make myself eat enough calories in a day.  I used to be ravenous on 1800 calories, but now I feel very satiated on 1200 - 1400.  I eat between 50 - 70 carbs a day. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

wendyland. I just read about the primal blueprint. but it seems like a lot of information to take in, wish it were a little more condensed and to the point. Maybe could you give me an example of what you eat throughout the day?

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Wendyland I'd like to know also.  Sounds very interesting. 

My weight is ok, just in the wrong places, and I'm a major sugar junkie.  I have added more protein this week and that is helping.  Eggs, chicken etc.  But I know I'll get tired of it.

Going to check out mark's daily apple.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Green tea. I loved the green tea hp sold at the mall. Probiotics,I took one from GNC probiotic 25 in a powder form taste like popcorn. As crazy as this sounds,and its hard at first but if you cut out the sugar,and carbs give it a week. You will get some migraines,and such keep going. Eat LOTS OF FAT. Avacodos,butter,whole milk,whole eggs,olive oil,coconut oil......I lost 50 lbs doing this without exercise.With your walking it will fall off fast.It took me about 10 months to lose all the weight.Then I got pregnant,and well I have a whole new set of issues with gestational Diabetes.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

gingergrltea. thanks for the advice, I'll have to try that. I find that cutting out carbs is hard because carbs are in just about everything it seems..irked.gif

maybe you could give me an example of what your daily food intake was? that is my biggest problem is meal planning and just knowing what i should or shouldn't eat. so it helps to see examples of what others eat. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I guess my biggest downfall is after eating fruits and veggies and health foods for a period of time, i start to really REALLY crave my favorites.. pizza, nachos, basically JUNK. I only give in to this craving maybe once or twice a week.. but still. it's hard!

User Tag List