Is it ok to be angry over this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not one to go to the Dr. I try an take care of things on my own. I have had horrible experiences with Doctor care in the past and being a military wife, I have to say the stereo types about military health care have all been true in my experience.

However I have tried near every diet to lose weight and nothing is working. I have been 80lbs over weight since I got pregnant with my first child 12 years ago and my Dr failed to catch and control gestational diabetes.

While my last homebirth midwife helped me not gain any weight and have a healthy pregnancy, since then I have gained 20 lbs. And am at my largest.

I am well educated on nutrition and yet nothing seems to work. I got so frantic over my weight I tried the HCG diet and while I lost 20 lbs and did it all right, my hair started to fall out badly and I stopped the next phases of the diet and gained it all back, and my hair is still falling out in chunks months later.

I need to see a Dr.

I have a goider I was supposed to have checked every 6 months, have not had it checked in 8 years.

I think my pre-diabetes might be something more now.

I need to have PCOS checked out as well.

I have had thyroid issues before and maybe do now?

I have fibromialga, or so I have been told and while I have not taken medication for most anything, maybe I should talk to someone about this as while I have a high pain tolerance, pain is making me tear up near everyday now.

The weight is causing some kind of depression.

My Cycles are MESS after the HCG diet, I bleed most of the month, have horrible horrible cramps and large black clots.

(And I am considering birth control as I can't do NFP right now with these cycles and I need to talk to someone about what is best with my situation.)

I need to see a Dr.

So trying to get to one, once weight loss is mentioned the military health care system says I must go to their nutrition education group here that they have once a month.... NOT see a Dr. I need a darn Dr. I need blood work and other tests and I need to see if this weight is not responding to normal diets because of some other thing. I am not just a fat cow with a number on her ass to sit in a class and be told don't eat fat and sugar and walk every day. Oh and if after 6 months I have not made any progress with this group than they will give me a referral to a gastric bypass Dr. I DON'T want that. I want to see a Dr and see what is really wrong with me, if anything. But no.... I have to go to a group if I want help.

Am I crazy to be angry about this?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM

How infuriating!  Can you go to the doctor and not mention anything about weight? Give them all the other symptoms (pain, tiredness, hair loss, etc.) and tell them about the conditions you have/have had and that you NEED blood work.  Once you figure out what your levels are and get meds you might need, see where you're at.  If that doesn't work, can you see a non-military doctor?  I know it would probably cost more. . . Best of luck! I hope you get some answers soon.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM

I agree - don't mention the weight except as a symptom.  Stress that you eat a healthy diet and are as active as possible.  Don't take no for an answer - if necessary, just sit there and keep saying "Please listen to me.  The weight is a symptom, not a cause.  There is something more serious wrong with me."  Bring a food journal for the previous week, that might help.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Now, I am not a doctor. But everything I've read tells me u need to go to an endocrinologist who understands thyroid and is willing to use a desiccated (NOT synthetic) thyroid and iodine supplementation. Your symptoms scream thyroid!!!!

Good luck mama. Hugs!

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010

User Tag List