Chasing After the Naughty Dingos, 6 years on -- July Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Can breast stroke cause pain in the knee?

Bad form with breast stroke?

Absolutely. The frog kick puts more stress on the knee than the flutter kick, so it doesn't even necessarily have to be bad form.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#272 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Don't.  With a break and less than a year into running, keep your goals modest.  The best goal is "don't hurt myself", second would be "finish without walking."  How far can you run now?  If you can run 3 miles, keep doing the three for most runs, then start increasing the length of the runs 1-2 days a week, adding 5% (10% if you're not nursing) total mileage each week.

Well I ran a bunch before having Ela, but didn't REALLY get back to it with any regularity until this January. Before this most recent 4 week laze-fest I was running 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes I would only run 3 miles one day and 5 or 6 miles later that week. The longest distance I have ever run was just over 8 miles, a couple of months ago. So I know I can finish a 10k without walking, but I have never done it in an actual race setting, nor have I ever trained for anything like this before, I used to just run whatever distance I was feeling at the time.

I am still nursing and will be in October. Thanks for the info on upping mileage!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#273 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

knee injury via swimming: yes totally. especially with breaststroke.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#274 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:

DS sees goose poop, not DH! Personally, I love garlic. What's the grad school master plan? What does your DH teach?

DH teaches writing- his "specialty" is creative writing, but this fall it's a lot of technical writing. Occasionally he teaches lit. classes too.

The grad school master plan is a bit of a family joke, since I have been really keen on grad school and started researching grad programs when I was an undergrad, which I finished 10 years ago. But life kept getting in the way of me going back to school- my mum was dying of cancer when I finished my undergrad, then plans for a baby came along (and the need to keep working so that I would be able to get my one year paid mat. leave), then it made more sense for DH to go to grad school first, then baby number two, etc. etc. I'm technically supposed to have a master's degree to teach at the college, but got the job because they couldn't find anyone else and a nurse with lots of experience and enthusiasm seemed like a decent substitute. I want to do a health promotion/social determinants of health masters degree. But I need stats first, which I missed taking as an undergrad (on a loophole that has since been closed). Plan is to start fall of 2012, and my top-choice program right now is Dalhousie- so I might end up being an east-coaster for a while! My DH lived in Halifax for a year in elementary school because my MIL did her master's at Dal, so there's a bit of family tradition there.

Quote:

Welcome kitteh! A lot of us find that we get more running done if we literally run our errands! Please, no overachieving here, ok? Don't actually try to catch up on the posts. Jump right in and try to keep up from here. Life gets busy, and sometimes you gotta give up on even that. wink1.gif

eat.gif Heaven = CSA peaches. Just sayin'

Have you tired BBQing peaches? They are so amazing!! I cut in half, brush with a tiny bit of olive oil, grill the cut side, flip and put a dollop of chevre (and maybe some cinnamon) in the pit hole while I grill the bottoms. Mmmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

Anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive running watch/heart monitor? I've been drooling over Garmins, but no way is that in our budget.

My MIL told me that Costco carries Garmins. I might have to investigate. Welcome, Kitteh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

Is it also terrible of me that I am much more stressed out and concerned about throwing a birthday party for a seven-year-old than I am that the same seven-year-old is having major surgery in just over a week?  bag.gif  Someone come over here and fix my priorities.

Is it that you can see the benefits of the surgery, but not as many benefits to the party? If that's the case, then I think you're totally reasonable :)

Quote:

Don't.  With a break and less than a year into running, keep your goals modest.  The best goal is "don't hurt myself", second would be "finish without walking."  How far can you run now?  If you can run 3 miles, keep doing the three for most runs, then start increasing the length of the runs 1-2 days a week, adding 5% (10% if you're not nursing) total mileage each week.

Can breast stroke cause pain in the knee?

Bad form with breast stroke?

Adding my yes to the chorus of breast stroke being hard on knees.

Took the kids to the pool today, and the thong woman was there again. I feel bad for her- she was in the hot-tub and everyone giggled and smirked when she got out and revealed her backside. My oldest asked me if she was a princess, because of the jewelry and makeup.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#275 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

My MIL told me that Costco carries Garmins. I might have to investigate.

Costco used to carry the Forerunner 305, and that's where I originally got mine. I haven't seen it there or online in a while, though. I just ordered a new 305 through Amazon for $130, which is about the cheapest I've seen it. I was drooling over the 310, but just couldn't justify paying more than double for it...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#276 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, blast it.  What am I going to do for exercise?  My RP is out of town, and the LOW for the next week is 72F.  Swimming was kinda working for me.  People look at me weird swimming laps of doggie paddle.  Maybe I gotta suck it up with the heat and run - the only activity that doesn't hurt. 

#277 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a garmin that I'm looking to sell. I haven't settled on a $ amount yet. I've used it maybe 6 times? This one. I'm thinking craigslist soon, I just have a couple of items and I'm going to list them all at once (the others aren't ship-able - dresser, table, etc.). You can make me an offer, or I'll post when I do list it on craigslist.

Geofizz: does your pool have pull buoys that you might be able to borrow? Some adults who feel like they can't properly do front crawl do better with a pull buoy. Basically the idea is that you hold it between your thighs and not kick. You know, like kick boards are for focusing on your legs. Anyhow, most adult swimmers when they use a pull buoy kick a bit. And a side effect of using this tool is that it makes your rear end float a smidge higher in the water making it easier to swim.

After today it is clear that I'm going lap swimming tomorrow. Wow hot. I'm hoping for a mid-night storm to cool it off.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#278 of 284 Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Well, blast it.  What am I going to do for exercise?  My RP is out of town, and the LOW for the next week is 72F.  Swimming was kinda working for me.  People look at me weird swimming laps of doggie paddle.  Maybe I gotta suck it up with the heat and run - the only activity that doesn't hurt. 

Kickboard with flutter kick? Flotation belt and water running? Air conditioned gym and dreadmill?

Just checked online- Costco carries the Forerunner 305 in Canada, but not the US. And amazon is cheaper.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#279 of 284 Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to put up with the heat and run. The treadmill started giving me hallucinations about a year ago, which I figure are maybe migraine in nature? The kickboard will come with me to the pool as backup. Sigh. Better would be for the temperature to drop ten degrees and the humidity to drop by a third.

DH and I are going to Potter tonight and then a movie.
#280 of 284 Old 07-31-2011, 06:17 PM

I had a pretty crappy trail run this morning. I had the side stitch that Would Not Quit, forcing me to walk waaaaay too much of a trail that really did not require walking. And then my Garmin crapped out again in the middle so that I really had no idea how far I had left to go. New Garmin needs to get here FAST! On the bright side, even a crappy trail run is a spectacular trail run when you have scenery like this:

The entire open space park was just coated in wildflowers. The morning breeze was cool and the birds were singing. So, you know...really, not too bad. Just under 6.5 miles of run/hike this morning.

I finished cleaning my kitchen after I got home, which was thoroughly DISGUSTING. Yuck. So the worst two parts of the house (kitchen and bathrooms) are done. If DS and the nanny can dust and vacuum tomorrow, that just leaves some picking up and putting away to do before my sister and her family arrive on Tuesday. I can't tell you how excited I am that my kitchen and bathrooms are clean again. orngtongue.gif

And DS is on a plane back to me right now! joy.gif

#281 of 284 Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM

First blog post about the Courage Classic is up HERE!

#282 of 284 Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 PM

tjsmama--yay, the tri together! We're only in the same age group if it's F30-39. Otherwise you're golden, I think--unless you turned 35 and I missed it? Besides, you bike sooooo much faster than I do, and overall time is basically determined by the bike leg anyhow. Also, joy.gif for a race report!

RM--hope you can find a good decision about the meds and homeschooling and all. That's really awful.

Geo--hope you can find something for the sign language. My elementary school offers it as one of the after-school foreign language classes and I think our local rec center has every so often too, so hopefully there's something like that hiding nearby for you. On swimming: maybe do the front crawl instead? That kind of kicking should be easier on your knees.

La4--hope you survived all the family stuff this weekend!

kitteh--Welcome! Have you looked at Craigslist to see if anyone has a gently used Garmin in your price range?

RR: nothing today, but I ran all three days we were in the mountains. Thursday was speedwork and hill repeats, Friday was 9 miles, leaving from the Granby Farmer's Market and running back to the trailer (675 feet elevation gain, thankyouverymuch), and on Saturday we ran the Granby Gutbuster 5K as a family. It starts with a fairly ugly hill climb of about 100 feet over a quarter mile, but once we were up on top it wasn't too bad. DH, as usual, was slower than me pushing the stroller (yes, even during the nasty uphill) but he did ok. As usual, I smoked him at the end, even when R decided to get out and run to the finish line, with a time of about 30:29. DH came in about 20 seconds later and managed to grab third place among the 30-39 males!! You should have seen his face when they called his name. lol.gif So he has a new hat and I'll have official finishing times tomorrow when they post. Everyone has been asking him if there were only three men in that age group, but I think there were at least four. wink1.gif

NRR: There are still rats in my backyard. Going to the mountains and wishing them away didn't seem to work. The good news is that our next-door neighbor noticed and put out traps. He had caught three as of this afternoon. Unfortunately, I saw another two after that. We're going to spend the next two days doing anything but hanging around here, if I have my say.

ETA: here's a couple of links from my tri, both on the bike. I look pretty doofy.
https://www.skipix.com/skipixv2/viewlargeimage.php?lang=en&photosetid=5669&filename=_JH26431.jpg

https://www.skipix.com/skipixv2/viewlargeimage.php?lang=en&photosetid=5669&filename=_JH26432.jpg&position=41&total=70

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#283 of 284 Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 AM

Lisa, you look great in those! I love the top you are wearing.

Gaye, Wow!! I loved your first part of the RR, and congratulations on that ride! It sounds like a huge effort and so worth it. I knew you had been biking a lot, and now I see why!

Welcome Kitteh!

I can't remember who asked, but my "bad" knee always feels it when I do breast stroke, so I only do that stroke for warm-up. Crawl/flutter kick doesn't bother my knee at all though.

So this morning, I had my first run since tweaking my knee. It was painful. greensad.gif I ran maybe 1 mile, and felt it every step of the way. This is not good, since it is more discomfort than I felt even running 6 weeks post-op. I had rested it for 2 weeks before today.

So... what would you guys do? Should I just continue to rest or make an appt. to see my orthopedic dr?

Must wake the kids - we have a busy day today.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#284 of 284 Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Healing Add Simple Exercises That Will Change Your Daily Life , Natures Ritalin For The Marathon Mind Nurturing Your Adhd Child With Exercise , Add Adhd Drug Free Natural Alternatives And Practical Exercises To Help Your Child Focus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page