Chasing After the Naughty Dingos, 6 years on -- July Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I have had such a *day*. Not only have I overeaten and now have a wretched stomach ache, but I heard back from the director of the "camp" my son has been attending [a little bit] about a complaint I made, which happens to be the third or fourth email I have sent her with various questions or complaints, and I got yet another crappy answer. Their policies are so non-transparent and slimy/corporate/money grubbing, and the director is so fake (as all those business types are). Do not say "Thank you for your inquiry!" when i write to basically complain about poor service. I hate FAKE!!!

On the up side, DS had an AWESOME swim lesson today, has made amazing strides in two weeks, and is ready to race tomorrow, AND DD1 is too! She is feeling better and Dh said we could just give her ibuprofen before the drive there and see if she wants to do it bag.giflol.gif But I dont think we'll need to thumb.gif Now off to pick up race packets and new goggles for DS who lost his this week disappointed.gif

Mommajb - grouphug.gif !!!!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
bec

Awesome that your kids are feeling better enough to race, Sparkle!  I hope they have a wonderful time.  My kids have been pestering me for a kids' tri.  I may just do my own towards the end of the summer.  Maybe I'll invite other kids to participate too.  We'll see.  I'm sorry about the camp.  I had to deal with that when Katie was in preschool, and we were making our first forays into gymnastics.  They were awful with her, to her, and would not listen to any of my complaints with anything resembling a genuine feeling, much less giving a crap about the kids.  That was the only time we did gymnastics.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Geo--I'm so sorry about the nanny situation! She must know that you're counting on her, right? Why do people think it's so easy to find backup child care?

mommajb--If only you'd told me a little earlier; I totally would have jogged over to see your in-laws. I'm sorry that saying goodbye has been so stressful. I can understand that; I didn't even like the last day of school when my kids are staying in the school next year. I'm terrible at ending one thing and starting another.

Nic--I'm sorry it's been so hard finding a place to rent! I hope this week will bring more success.

Sparkle--Good luck to your kids today; I hope they like the race. 

All is well here, although we're still winding down from vacation.  Which, for me, means falling asleep on the couch at 9:00 the past two nights.  How can I be so exhausted?  I still haven't unpacked, although I did throw a load of clothes down the stairs and DH did a load of laundry.  Without checking pockets.  So now my one item of makeup--a tube of lipstick--is no more, and two pairs of shorts are sitting in the bathtub, covered with pink streaks.  I'm not sure what DH's plan is for them; we'll see if they remain in the bathtub all weekend or if he attempts some actual scrubbing.  I'd say they are probably a lost cause.

Possibly today I'll run, although this morning DS has a birthday party to attend so I'll have to go to that.  I hate birthday parties.  I'm not sure how brutal the weather will be later on today.

DD has also decided that she needs a party this summer, when she turns seven.  Ack.  I need to start planning and figure out how to throw a party without freaking out.  It will be a challenge.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 AM
bec

La - A party at the playground.  Say, 2-4pm, so there is no expectation of a meal.  Grab a sheet cake and just have them run around.  If  you need planned games, you can do a water balloon catch game, a relay race or things like that.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Geo, with the Outback...are all three kids able to sit comfortably? (i.e. is the middle seat not really a 'seat' or is it made to actually have someone sit in for what could be long trips?)

Drove an Acadia yesterday which I actually liked. It's just...really big. I know my Ody is big too but it feels different. Definitely don't want a Suburban or Tahoe. Too big, too much gas. WHY can't there exist a vehicle that is comfortable for a family, has enough room for stuff, is great on gas mileage/emissions, and goes great in the snow?!

Gah.

Quick 3.6 miles this morning and a big ole' BONK. It was humid and I guess I didn't drink enough beforehand. 14 on the docket for tomorrow, I think I'll try to head out super early.

On the house...the saga continues...but the upshot is right now we're waiting on two separate houses/homeowners to come back to us with decent leases. The first one with a good lease is the one we're going with. I told the realtor I was not going to wait around for them to dither again so even though they didn't like that we were pursuing more than one option at a time, it was incentive to man up and decide what they wanted to do. So...it's still a waiting game. whistling.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
bec

Ok, so, as soon as I got into the local bike shop, I totally reversed my position on buying a bike online.  I think I will have saved money in the long run, with not having to pay extra for tuneups, etc.  Anyway, I got seduced, and ended up with a Trek Lexa SLX.  I'm giddy with it. It was on sale, but I still went over budget.  But, I also feel confident with the customer service, fit and where to go if something goes wrong.  Having a little bit of an anxiety attack over the money I spent, but I'm sure a nice ride this afternoon will solve that!  Anyway, here is a picture of my new baby!

photo31.jpg

Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Bec - wow, that is so exciting and you look like such a nice couple! I only have a min but wanted to reply about you being here in the kc area. I don't really know my work schedule yet, but I don't think I'll have any work responsibilities on weekends yet when you're here. I would love to be able to get together! Keep me posted as you know your schedule, too!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM
bec

Awesome, Jen!  Will do! 

I had my maiden ride with it.  I went and did the hill repeat workout that our tri class did the other night.  It was astonishing the difference.  My butt needs to adjust to the different seat, and my back needs to adjust to the more leaning down position.  But, I am guessing that will come with time.  It's kind of like riding on a rocket!  The thing freaking flies!  Whereas the other day, I was getting up to a max speed of around 23mph, today, it was upwards of 29mph!  A little terrifying when I reflect back on it, but what a rush! 

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Awesome bike and amazing speeds, bec!

NRR- Well... I dropped off the face of the internet for a few weeks there when DH suddenly picked up a contract to do some curriculum development at the same time as he was starting a new course. We've figured out that we can't both work full-time with only 8 1/2 hours of childcare a week without both feeling more than a little burnt out, having a chronically messy house and not getting nearly enough time for exercise and sanity breaks. My oldest asked if we could go back to having clothes "the way we used to- in the dressers" instead of getting dressed in the laundry room daily. We've hired a sitter (daycare provider is closing down for mat. leave for six weeks), my MIL is going to take the girls a couple of half days a week, and I just set up a weekly exchange with a friend for one morning a week. I think we can do this- and I might even get a run in occasionally...

RR- Today was my first morning of the exchange with my friend's kids, and kudos to real and anyone else who manages to bike with two kids in the trailer!! The extra 45 lbs of my friend's son made a huge difference. Luckily we weren't going far or fast, since I had two five year olds cycling with me, but I sure felt the resistance. 

Goals for the rest of July: 

Run at least once weekly, hopefully more...

Take dinner to work in the evenings and eat it (no more eating dinner at 10 pm)

Get back to a strength training routine of some kind

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Yay, bec! joy.gif

Have I mentioned lately that I'm tired? Cuz I am. redface.gif

I actually slept in a little yesterday (till 9:30 Ohio time, although I don't know that I can count it as sleeping in, given that it's 7:30 Denver time rolleyes.gif) then dragged myself out for what turned out to be a crappy <4 mile run. I don't know what my problem was, but I had a side stitch that would not go away. And it was hot and humid, which didn't help. We picked up my niece to bring her back to my mom's for the night, and had an impromptu visit with my bf growing up and her kids since they just randomly happened to be home visiting at the same time. I got to bed early so I could get up early for my long run this morning. I was *terrified* going into this run, especially after yesterday's crappy attempt and given the fact that I haven't run double digits in months. I did just about everything wrong for this run possible. I forgot my inhaler. I forgot my sportbeans. I didn't take any water and didn't drop any out on the route. And I really should have started earlier. Somehow, though, even with all that...I had a pretty darn good run. Negative splits, averaged 10:20 pace for 10.75 miles. It was not the most fun run ever (running for miles on county roads is really not interesting), but I did it! And much, much faster than I thought I would.

After that, it was a family reunion where I met a bunch of people I had never met before, saw a bunch of others that I hadn't seen in probably 30 years, and was ever-so-grateful that my dad is staying with my sister and I only had to spend a couple of hours with him. bag.gif And then, it was off to dinner with my friend whose wedding reception we're here for. This is the friend whose wedding was in Paris in April (which I had to miss because of clinical). It was great to finally meet her new husband and to get caught up. Lots and lots of talking! I was grateful that she wanted to spend that time with me, because I know tomorrow at the reception is going to be crazy and I'll be lucky to get 10 minutes with her.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to run tomorrow or Monday. Tomorrow is the better day logistically, but I'm not sure how my legs will feel about that. They feel decent right now, but I also got some serious chafing (stupid humidity) that I'm not so sure about running with tomorrow...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 AM

I'm way behind and have a ton of personals to catch up on, but I just wanted to say that I rocked my 1/2 in the mountains today (yesterday? I haven't gone to sleep yet...) with a time of 2:00:25 and, drumroll please, landed 2nd in my age group!
joy.gif

Full race report to follow. And personals.

Also, I should probably mention that it was a really small race: 80 finishers. And if I'd been three years older, there would be no medal because the woman who finished a minute in front of me only landed 4th place in the F40-49 group.

But nevertheless joy.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 AM
bec

Congratulations, Real!!!!  And it TOTALLY counts!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 AM

Way to go Real, that's awesome!

Nic, sending good house vibes...

Bec, LOVE the bike.  Is it a he or a she?  :)  Enjoy the speed!  Reading about your first ride makes me want to get back out there on my bike...

Sparkle, how was the kids' tri?

I'm about to head out to walk the dog and then run.  I'm feeling a little nuts.  The H works odd hours including weekends and nights at his 2 part time jobs and the result is he isn't around consistently enough to take any significant load off me.  So I go through the week working 2 jobs, running the house, taking care of the kids, feeding people and animals, etc. and then the weekend comes and I just keep doing more of the same.  He does help when he can and when I can tell him exactly what to do, but the majority of the responsibility falls on me with not much of a break and it's a grind.  Then I think other families must be the same way and I should man up and quit whining... <sigh> like I said, feeling nuts... the run will help.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Bec - joy.gif so happy for you

eks - no, I dont think all families are that strung out; you are doing A LOT!!! I hope the run helps

Real - joy.gif Totally counts, super awesome!

RR: nothing. in the funkiest of funks, and Dh is out of town, and and ... aiming for tomorrow to get back in the saddle

NRR: yesterday was grueling. The Tri was fun and the rest sucked. Woke at 4am with DD2 [in my bed] throwing up. This went on for 2+ hours until we were packed and ready to leave for the tri (which I considered skipping for her but redface.gif). I put her in the car with a bucket on her lap, drove the half hour and got there by 7:30. Race started at 8:25. It was a small and well run event, so everything went without a hitch. The short story is that I dont know how my kids did time-wise. I didnt/couldnt keep track of times, as they started at different times (staggered) and I just had too much going on. I carried DD2 (45 lbs) on my hip, a pack on my back and my big ol' camera around my neck as I ushered the other two through all the starts and transitions (6).
The swim was a little weird as they started boys and girls separately, and then put all of each gender in at once even if that meant 4 per lane. The kids then swam in a circle; up one side of the lane and back on the other, in single file. The kids decided who would go first. Both kids were in the 6-10 group, so DS went off first, at the end of his line as he is slow, and he had a hard time on the swim. He veered onto the other, oncoming side more than once, and then there were the fast swimmers who needed to pass slower ones, so lots of swimming on both sides and near collisions. I didnt stay to watch DD1's swim b/c I went to the transition to help DS.
He is a crazy good biker, so I had told him not to worry about the swim and run, and to drop the hammer! on the bike lol.gif And boy did he. His bike leg was so fast, he got back before DD1 got out of the pool.
Anyway, they finished, and it mostly went well. I emailed the race director about the times. They had fun, and want to do the one at the end of the one Im thinking of doing in Sept. Now I might really have to redface.giflol.gif

Dd2 didnt throw up anymore, although she did have two episodes of explosive diarhea that afternoon, that didnt make it into the potty. Good times. Then we went to a 4 hour birthday party at an indoor water park the kids have been dying to go to. It was a combo of the most obnoxious amusement park you have ever been to and a club, as in Clubbin'. There was a DJ, and the music was so loud I couldnt hear a word anyone said. It was awful. On top of which, I got in a near parking lot brawl when I was trying to find a parking spot. Seriously. It was also awful. Someone bold-facedly took a spot I was waiting for, and had been directed to by the driver of the car who left. I pulled up and said that was rude of you, etc. There were 5 of them and they all start going off on me! Calling me names. I both wanted to get out of the car and start throwing my fists at all of them, and wanted to bawl. I did the latter. I was so tired and hot and had been listening to my kids whine and botch at me and each other for two days and I was just so sick of people dumping on me. I guess. (Did I mention Dh is out of town?) Anyway, I couldnt really stop crying, even in water park. Finally we got home at 7:00 and I was able to eat something, and put them all to bed.

I'm encountering a lot of people lately who are lacking in the integrity dept. WTH. It makes me sad about humanity. Sometimes I just want to move to a cabin in the woods.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Just had to lol.gif about "botch" Its a good sub

Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 AM

.... and yes, I did take my DD w/ gastroenteritis to a water park biglaugh.gif

Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Real, great job!!!

Bec, awesome bike. Enjoy!

Sparkle, good for you!

14 miles of trails this morning...I think one of things I love most about running the trails is it brings back memories of how it felt when I was in the hiking club during my year at Hebrew University in Jerusalem (3rd year of university). We used to go on these great trips hiking mountains in the Judean desert, the Negev, the north of Israel and the Galilee region, the Golan Heights (where some of the headwaters of the Jordan river are). They were awesome, difficult, amazing hikes. I loved it. Somehow trail running on rocky trails especially brings out that same feeling of being in tune and wonder with nature and God. I love the peace and quiet, the challenge of the run but lack of pressure to go super fast, all that. Don't get me wrong, I totally love road running and racing, but the long runs on the trails...just awesome.

Had an interesting moment this morning when a beaver and I scared the sh#t out of each other. lol.gif I guess neither of us expected to see the other! 

Saw a group of high school x-country boys training too. They were fast, even on the trail. Smoked my butt. However it was nice to get a friendly hello and also nice to watch a group of nice boys running through the woods in just their shorts and shoes. They looked so...primeval. Cool.

Ok off to eat a lot of food and then we're going to spend the day at my brother and sil's. SIL, niece, dd2 and I are going to get pedicures. THen I think some time at the pool, then dinner. We'll be met by my dh who...

IS DOING HIS FIRST HALF IRONMAN 70.3 TODAY!!!

Go dh! thumbsup.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM
bec

Wow, good luck to your dh, Nic!  And good for YOU for 14 miles!  I have encountered high school cross country boys on trails around here, and they are almost universally sweet and friendly, shirtless and nice to look at, and smoking fast!  Speaking of, I really should try to run again sometime soon!

Sparkle - That sounds like such a full, amazing, tough day for you!  I'm so sorry someone was so unkind to you in the parking lot.  It makes my blood boil when I see such petty rudeness.  And after a day of you running around doing, doing, doing for everyone else.  I probably would have broken down as well.  I don't deal well with being yelled at.

Eks - I would say a she!  I sometimes feel totally strung out, but that is not the norm.  Especially in the last few years, we have been both making a concerted effort to make sure that we each have enough down/rejuvinating time.  It has been important, and has really helped me maintain my sanity!

16.5 miles on the bike this morning with the bike club.  I would have done the 30 miles. The legs wanted to do the 30 miler, but my butt is pretty sore from yesterday's 14 mile ride that I thought I should build up a little slower.  I need to get used to this different seat and how I sit!  It was awesome. 

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Bec--Hooray for a new bike!  It looks great, and you do, too.  I hope you'll end up loving it lots.

Nic--I'm always happy to meet the local cross-country runners.  My brother and I ran all through high school and it still warms my heart to see the high school runners out on the roads or the trails.

Today around 11:30 I decided to go out for an eight-mile run, which was not my smartest idea.  It was hot and sunny.  I did the run, although pretty slowly, but I've been feeling a bit crummy most of the rest of the day.  I have to decide what to do about tomorrow.  Get up early before DH leaves for work?  Try out the childcare at the gym sometime during the day?  Run at night when DH gets home from work?  I'm not sure.  It needs to be something, though; I need to get back into a groove.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Geo, with the Outback...are all three kids able to sit comfortably? (i.e. is the middle seat not really a 'seat' or is it made to actually have someone sit in for what could be long trips?)

Drove an Acadia yesterday which I actually liked. It's just...really big. I know my Ody is big too but it feels different. Definitely don't want a Suburban or Tahoe. Too big, too much gas. WHY can't there exist a vehicle that is comfortable for a family, has enough room for stuff, is great on gas mileage/emissions, and goes great in the snow?!

Toyota Sienna with all wheel drive?

Mazda van-like car?

outback middle seat = not so comfy for 2 hr drive with 2 other adults in the back seat. fortunately I knew them both well.

ack. we leave tomorrow. I'm not quite ready. But it'll all come together. Just trying to decide how much work to bring and how much knitting to bring. More knitting than work, of that I'm certain.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM

I hate parties.  I hate, hate, hate parties.  Yet I've just sent out the evites.  TWENTY-EIGHT kids invited to our house, two weeks from today, for two hours of revelry capped by cupcakes.  I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach.  Why do I do things like this?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM

La4--glad to hear vacation is going well.

Nick--sending good rental vibes. Also, my sister has a Pilot and really likes it for snow, room and gas mileage. Well, gas mileage considering its size. She'd rather get car gas mileage and have SUV room. lol.gif

Plady--your parade looked like fun. Also, which CLO did you order?

DrJen--hope all the moving and registration and all goes smoothly this week.

tjsmama--I'm bow.gif about all that riding. Wow. Have fun in Ohio!

bec--sweet new bike!

Geo--sorry about the nanny situation.

mommajb--good luck with the move.

eksmom--hope you got that run. Sounds like you deserve some time to yourself and then some!

kerc--happy knitting on your trip!

OK, race reports! Yep, two of them! orngbiggrin.gif I ran the Grand Park Run for Independence on the 2nd with the girls in the jogger. They changed the course because the main sponsor changed, which meant that they also moved the starting line. Oddly, they didn't mention this to many people, as even people who had picked up their packets the day before were confused. We got there earlier than usual and Paul went to pick up the packets, only to discover that packet picket was in a completely different location. Eventually he ran back up to me and we headed toward the new start line, conveniently located a full half-mile away from the parking area that they'd signed for the race. eyesroll.gif Happily, the race started late because it was 8:58 by the time we made it there and we still didn't have race numbers or shirts. We ended up without shirts because they hadn't printed enough. Supposedly they will send ours. Things improved after that.

We were starting from the highest part of the Winter Park ski resort (without actually being on a ski lift) and I think it easily added another 100 or 200 feet of descent to the course. The course was a bit short--like 4.6 miles, but hey, who's complaining? R ran a little bit here and there, and about a quarter-mile before the end she decided to hop out and run again, which meant I wasn't able to blow past my husband. She hung in there pretty well at the end, which was good because it wasn't feasible to stop the stroller in the final stretch and have her climb back in. She felt pretty proud of herself for pushing through the last part. Time: 44:54 for ~4.68 miles, which is pretty decent considering that Paul was hanging in there with me.

Now the fun one! I've been really excited about the Middle Park 1/2, in part because I knew it would be small and in part because the start line was a mere 10 minutes from our trailer in the mountains and it's rare that I have such a short drive. Also, it's beautiful up there. When I picked up my packet on Friday, it looked like only 60 people had registered, so it occurred to me that this just might be a small enough race that I could place in an age group. And then I'd laugh at my delusions of grandeur and go back to freaking out (what if I can't get up that early! what if it's cold? what if I can't run that far? panic!). The swag was awesome: a hat and a nice long-sleeve hoodie, plus a bunch of coupons for local businesses and stuff.

Anyhow, on race morning I parked by the town park and then jogged the half-mile or so to the start line (this time we were warned about it, and I probably would have done it anyhow because the finish line was at the park). The temperature was good: just about 50 degrees and overcast. We couldn't see the Indian Peaks because they were clouded over, but as the race progressed we could see James and Byers peaks to the south, some of the Never Summer range to the northwest and parts of the mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park too. It was a small enough group that when we started it took me all of 2 seconds to cross the start line, and I got smart enough this time to not position myself at the back of the pack. The first mile was ok--mostly flat and past the alpaca farm and fiber mill where I like to buy yarn (if you've seen Lonesome Stone yarn, they spin it here and have a beautiful herd of alpacas). Half the herd was down in the valley just looking at us like "Wha?" They looked like they were wondering if they should run in the same direction from some unknown threat, or if we were just bonkers. And then, as we were passing someone on the farm opened a barn door to signal feeding time and the entire herd took off running for the barn. Simply beautiful.

And then I realized that I was paying too much attention to the alpacas and not enough to my pace and picked it up a bit. The second mile was at a pretty steep uphill but it leveled out after the curve. Then there was a lot more uphill until mile 4, a brief respite and one more fairly steep hill until 4.5. At the top, I was thrilled to see a nice downhill portion, but even more excited when I saw the bull moose running through the trees just to the left of the road! That was awesome. I tried to get a picture with my phone camera, but I have examined the picture and alas, I only got the trees. It would have been a better picture if I'd stopped but no, I wasn't going to do that! lol.gif Later I saw a pronghorn too, way up on a hill but I didn't try to take a picture, probably because I was too tired to think clearly.

The course was mostly downhill after that. It's the mountains, so there were a lot of rolling hills. This was what I'd trained for though, not least because pretty much every run for the last month or so has been in that area on rolling hills. I did my best to make up slow uphill times by running really fast downhill and that worked fairly well as I managed to pass two people who had been ahead of me. One person was about to pass me at mile 4, but he stopped for water and I hit the speed on the downhill stretch and he was not heard from again. I kept trying to keep pace with/catch up with a woman ahead of me who was accompanied by a friend on bike, but no dice. She finished about a minute ahead of me. Happily, she was not in my division, although I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out whether she was or not during the race so I'd know whether it would be worthwhile to pass her. bag.gif

Around mile 10 we rejoined the main road, but I didn't quite realize it until I noticed the mile 3 sign in the other direction. That was good news, because after that it was all downhill into town: past the alpacas (no longer alarmed by one or two people passing by every minute or so) and then the final stretch down Hwy 40 through town, a right at the light and down the chute to the finish line. By mile 12 I was torn between the knowledge that I could probably hit the 2-hour finish I'd predicted back when I signed up for the race (they asked) because I had 9-1/2 minutes left and alternately, the strong desire to lay down on the sidewalk and rest for a while. lol.gif Obviously, running won out.

Total elevation gain: 768 feet (at 8000 feet elevation)
Splits:
1 - 9:14
2 -10:46
3 - 9:34
4 - 10:05
5 - 9:15
6 - 8:17 (finally, a downhill stretch and I'd just seen a moose!!!!)
7 - 8:52
8 - 9:08
9 - 9:55
10 - 8:50
11 - 8:39
12 - 8:25
13 - 8:30
and the .1 - 6:52 (not sure how I managed that, except that they were announcing our race numbers as soon as we turned the corner and cheering us in, and maybe that inspired me? I dunno.)

Time: 2:00:25
Pace: 9:11
Overall rank: 22/81
Sex place: 10/52
Division: 2/15

And as I mentioned before, placing second was mostly luck of the draw. Part of it was that the first two 30-something women to cross the finish line ended up as the overall female winners which somehow left slots open for us slower folk. If not for that, I would have been 4th. That said, it was oh so sweet to hear my name called and get that medal. orngbiggrin.gif

NRR: the rest of the week in the mountains was good, though I'm so ready for my in-laws to go home. Ten days is a very long time to be in the same place. And they won't stop hovering, but that's another book for another day. wink1.gif

ETA: link to what I usually look like when running in Granby: http://www.skipix.com/skipixv2/viewlargeimage.php?lang=en&photosetid=5643&filename=DSC_2984.jpg

If you go here there are pictures of some of the animals on the course, including the moose (!) and the oh so cute alpacas, and beautiful photos of what the course looked like with the cloud cover and mountains that morning.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Hello again, Dingo mamas!  Can I join you again? 

I had my second 10k yesterday and it was a disaster of poor organization.  It was the Milwaukee Summerfest Rock'n'Sole Run and I should have listened to the paranoid part of me that said I should bring my own water just in case.  But the information about the water/aid stations every 1.5 miles was so reassuring I decided I didn't want to deal with carrying my own.  It was 85 and humid and the race went over the Hoan Bridge with absolutely gorgeous views of Lake Michigan, but that meant it was completely shade-free black-top and they didn't even have tents set up for some relief at the water stations.  Did I mention that the water stations were essentially empty by the time the first 10k runners came through half an hour after the half-marathoners started?  The first water I had was whatever I could catch in my hands at the 3 mile station that had run out of cups but still had jugs of water.  I was starting to feel sick and decided it was time to walk as much as I hated to give up.  Finally at 5 miles, a van had come back with water bottles and after downing most of the bottle I was able to run slowly for the last 3/4 mile.  I finished at an embarrassing 77 minutes, but at least I wasn't one of the 20+ who had to be transported to the hospital.  My DH finished in 53 minutes and was completely fine, but he's always been more athletic than I am.

The finish line was also really disorganized and overly crowded.  I never got the wristband to enter Summerfest free for the rest of the day (although we decided we had had enough of the heat and decided to head home after getting cleaned up at our hotel), DH didn't get his finishers medal, and it was really hard to get through and we had to go around to a distant gate to get out of the Summerfest grounds to find my sister and her family who were watching DS and DD while we ran.

I have been going over everything in my head since yesterday and I am really torn about how I feel.  I'm partly mad at myself for not training harder to be more ready for the heat and being responsible for my own hydration, but also really angry with organization after paying quite a bit of money and not having what I would consider the bare minmum safety measures in place for the race.  And wondering if I should have just sucked it up and pushed harder to not walk as long as I did.  I did get to run the first three miles with a college friend who I haven't seen in a long time, which was really nice.  She had her own Gatorade, which she did share, but it was warm lemon-flavored stuff that just turned my stomach more, so I sent her ahead when I needed to walk.  I think I need a few days of yoga and some gentle runs to recover. 

Anyway...I need to get off my rear and get to the grocery store because we are out of pretty much everything in our house right now.  I hope to actually keep up on here for a while!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Subbing ... and getting back in the game after a freaky KIDNEY STONE and surgery. ArgH!

Training plan calls for 3 miles today -- it will be on the wheel of doom, since it's 97 degrees here! 

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post

I hate parties.  I hate, hate, hate parties.  Yet I've just sent out the evites.  TWENTY-EIGHT kids invited to our house, two weeks from today, for two hours of revelry capped by cupcakes.  I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach.  Why do I do things like this?

Are you like me? I try to think that if I keep doing it, I will eventually like it and get better at it. 

So far, after being a parent for 16 years, my attitude toward it hasn't improved. 

Sigh. 

My children always love it. That's the only thing that keeps me doing it. 

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
bec

8 hours of power outage make Bec go insane!!!  Thankfully, the power just came back on, which means I can turn the A/C back on, and hopefully get my children to yank the cranky stick out of their butts! 

Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nic, Three across in the back of the car is close quarters, but doable.  K says it's ok, but she wouldn't want to do 2 hours like that.  Got the skirt!  Thanks!

Lala, family rule is that you invite the number of kids you are old for birthday parties.  It's keeping a decent lid on it, though 8 kids making pasta last year was about my limit.

Ann, complain to the race organizers.  They need to know that what they did was dangerous in many ways.  Either way, you might get your money back or something else as compensation. 

Real.  Wow.  Amazing.  You rock.

Have a great vacation kerc!

Hiya Eks! 

Yesterday's nanny interview was a no show.  I'm honestly stunned at the fraction of people looking for these jobs, who can keep up a reasonable phone conversation for 20 minutes, then not manage to show up at the agreed upon time.  I hate to say it, but Sheeez, Kids These Days.  Two more phone interviews tonight.  <sigh>

First day of camp today.  :dizzy:  K is on the other side of downtown 8:30-4:30.  DS is 4 miles north for Safety Town 9-noon, and then since I couldn't deal with losing my afternoons this week, I signed him up for afternoon camp 12:30-3:30 a mile from Safety Town.  If mommy does all the driving, I'd be spending over three hours in the car each day.  I spent most of last night and today orchestrating carpools with DH taking some of the downtown driving.   In all that, I'm running a writing workshop with my group, requiring 2 hours locked in a room together writing.  We got boatloads done.  I'm so glad I did it.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Geo--that kind of scheduling does sound insane. Kudos on the writing workshop. I ought to try locking myself in a room because I've just been sitting on that article for two months now.

Ann15--I'm shocked that they ran out of water like that on such a hot day. I second the advice to complain.

RR: swam 1500m today, which reminded me that I've been meaning to ask all of the triathletes here for any and all advice you have on pool swims, what to expect, what to do, what not to do, etc.

NRR: The in-laws finally left, about an hour ago. Thank goodness.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Real--Awesome races!  Man, you are FAST.  It's nice that your little one decided to get out of the stroller and run for a bit, too.  I like to see the next generation of runners getting out there.  The course for the half sounds beautiful, and you did a marvelous job on it.  Wow.

Ann--I'm so sorry the 10K was so poorly organized.  Haven't they done this race before?  You'd think it would only take a year to get everything how it's supposed to be.  Seriously, running out of water?!  I hope that your next race experience goes much better.

Dianna--My DH had a kidney stone a year or so ago, and it was the only time either of us have ever been to the emergency room.  He was really in the kind of pain where he thought he might need some sort of immediate surgery.  Luckily he was able to pass that stone, and now he lives in fear of more.  Not so much fear that he's giving up ice cream or seeing a doctor, though.  orngtongue.gif

Geo--I'm so sorry the the nannies aren't working out!  Man, when I was in college I tried so hard to get a nanny job one year.  All I ended up with was chicken pox.  Bummer.

Hey, nobody told me about the birthday party rules, only seven kids allowed!!  Actually, I was thinking about it and how it wouldn't be fair in our situation.  We belong to a playgroup of kids we've known since DD was born, and there are now 13 kids in that group.  Even if I pulled out just the girls, that's still eight kids who I'd feel bad about excluding, partly because the moms are such good friends of mine and I don't want to start with which of their kids my kids like the best.  Then DD has her school friends, and I don't remember which of those kids invited her to their parties over the course of the year..... so although it's a nightmare of organization to imagine thirty kids here, it was less stressful for me than trying to figure out the most fair way to narrow things down.  All playgroup kids and the whole class invited.  And now I'm just crossing my fingers that a bunch of these kids are on vacation or something.  praying.gif

I ran again tonight, 4 decent miles while DH showed the kids Star Wars for THE FIRST TIME EVER!  As I was getting changed to leave, I could hear DD: "Is that a good guy or a bad guy?  How about the girl?  What did that guy in the black just do to that other guy?  What planet are they on?  Why is it so dusty?"  lol.gif  DH said afterward that maybe the kids, at almost-seven and five, aren't quite ready to get it yet.

Okay, back to stressing out about the party!  It will be a fun two weeks....

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM

real~Nice racing, sister! clap.gif On the pool swim...honestly, there's not really much you need to know. I've done a handful of pool swims run by racing underground, and generally speaking, it goes like this: you head down to the pool somewhere around your start time. You stand in line and find three people who (say they) are about the same swim time as you. They hand you your chip and your swim cap. You decide with your lane mates who is probably the fastest, slowest, etc. Everybody gets in the lane together and they send you off about 5 seconds apart. If you get tapped on the foot, stop at the wall to let the person behind you pass. There will be lap counters for each person, and they'll tap you on the head (or somewhere thereabouts) with either one lap or one length to go. Get out, and run to transition! If your start time is on the later side, it doesn't hurt to head to the pool early. I've been able to just jump in and go more than once when I've done that. Oh, and hooray for departed in-laws! orngbiggrin.gif

Welcome back, prodigal dingos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Ann, complain to the race organizers.  They need to know that what they did was dangerous in many ways.  Either way, you might get your money back or something else as compensation. 
yeahthat.gif

We are back home again. Unfortunately, my mojo for getting some homework done tonight disappeared in the hour plus wait for our suitcase at baggage claim, thanks to lightning shutting the airport down. I mean, I'm extremely grateful that we managed to land before the airport shut down, and didn't get diverted or have to circle, but that kinda stunk. So much for getting home at a semi-reasonable time. Oh well. We managed to fly from one set of thunderstorms to another today, as we left Ohio in storms. I'd kind of forgotten what NW Ohio storms can be like...as the siren went off and we had to head down to the basement for a bit this morning. I'm just grateful it blew over in time for me to get to the airport and take off with no difficulty...until we landed in Denver amongst the lightning. rolleyes.gif

I managed to get a quick almost-4 in this morning before packing. I actually set my alarm to get up uber-early (well, 7 eastern time, which is uber-early for someone still on mountain time!) to get it done. It was HUMID...I guess the preview of the storms to come. Holy moley. I was disgusting by the time I was done. Major props to those of you who run in that crap on a regular basis!

Back to clinical tomorrow afternoon. I really, really need to find the motivation to get some major writing done for my class sometime soon. I have a 20+ page paper due next Wednesday that I have not yet started on. bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Tags
Running From The Inside Out , Healing Add Simple Exercises That Will Change Your Daily Life , Natures Ritalin For The Marathon Mind Nurturing Your Adhd Child With Exercise , Add Adhd Drug Free Natural Alternatives And Practical Exercises To Help Your Child Focus
User Tag List