Weight loss support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Title says it all. :)  I have about 50 lbs to lose and since I don't really have any IRL support, I'm looking for it here. I'm good at losing 10 pounds or so quickly, but I always end up losing steam and gaining it all back. eyesroll.gif I'm fat, unhappy, unhealthy, and tired of it! Please join in and we can help keep each other motivated!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#2 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Yes, I am here! I just came to find the same sort of support! joy.gif

I have about the same amount to lose. I tracked my food intake on Spark People every single day all winter/spring and lost maybe 10lbs. I stopped because it was giving me a complex about food, I never felt good enough and I figured that with summer I'd be more active and could give it a break. Instead, I gained allllll that weight back and 5 more lbs. yikes2.gif

So I decided to give c25k a try. I went out and bought some work out clothes that feel GREAT and look flattering on me, a pair on running shoes, hair accessories (because hair in my face would drive me crazy) and a watch with timer. I already had an mp3 player, I wouldn't be able to exercise without it! 

The first week of couch to 5k you're supposed to do a warm up walk of 5 minutes then jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds etc for 20 minutes. Then walk 5 minutes to cool off. Ummmmm the warm up walk had me huffing and puffing so I decided to just power walk for 55 minutes instead. I did jog like 3 times.... for 15 seconds. So I've decided to do 3 mornings of LONG walks as a pre c25k workout. lol.gif

That was this morning and I still feel great. love.gif

How are you planning on losing weight?

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#3 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's great that you're working out already! It's funny that you mentioned c25k because I was just reading up on that last week. I love the simplicity of the program and it sounds so do-able. I think once I've shed some weight and gotten a bit stronger I am going to give it a try; I've had knee issues ever since starting Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred at 6 weeks postpartum (ooowwwww) so I want to ease into exercise a bit more gently before doing anything high-impact. I have a few Leslie Sansone DVDs that I'm going to start doing again. They're not intense workouts, but they do get my heart rate up, I can stick with it, and most importantly it doesn't hurt my knees. (I sound like an old lady talking about my knees. I'm only 26.) I like getting out for walks with the kids, and we have an awesome scenic riverside bike path close to our house - it's just hard to find the time to get out by myself for a bike ride. DH doesn't get home from work until close to 7pm, and after dinner and bedtime, it's dark out. I want a treadmill because I know I'd use it but it's just not in the budget right now.

I need to make some major dietary changes, too. I have a huge sweet tooth and sugary foods kill me. I'm cutting out my diet Pepsi again and keeping sweets out of the house. What does your diet look like, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm weighing in tomorrow morning and officially "starting" tomorrow... wish me luck!

#4 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 AM

My diet is not so great. I eat too much and tend to snack during the evenings. I don't plan on doing anything drastic, just cut back on sweets and other bad foods and eat more fruits and veggies. I just haven't started yet. 

I'm thinking of walking/jogging now and when winter comes, go cross country skiing. I can go in the fields behind our house or drive over to a bike path which is kept fairly groomed. 

That's the plan... now I just need to DO it. 

#5 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Cutting out the evening snacking always helps me a ton. I even sleep better if I don't eat after dinner, but it's a tough habit to break. I always curl up with a book at night and I love having something to snack on while reading.

I've lost 2 pounds, which is a start. It's been easy so far because it's very hot and humid which kills my appetite anyway. This is my second day without Diet Pepsi and I've got a caffeine withdrawal headache and I'm a bit tired, but I know it will pass. I went for a brief walk last night while ds1 was at soccer practice - only 2 miles but it was enough in this heat! I also found an awesome free app for my Android phone, Noom, that tracks my weight, meals, and workouts. During my walk it tracked my route and periodically announced my speed, how far I had gone, and how many calories I was burning, while playing my music in the background. I was impressed, lol. I'm going to try to squeeze in a Leslie Sansone DVD this afternoon too.

#6 of 18 Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've lost a total of 4 pounds so far! I've been eating well and haven't had any junk food or pop since I started. I am tired and cranky, though that probably has just as much to do with this awful heat.

#7 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

its good if you are working

#8 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 05:09 AM

Congrats on the weight loss! I haven't really changed my diet yet, I'm focusing more on exercise. DH will be on vacation after today and we have a long list of renovation work to do around here. THAT should burn some calories! Removing old siding, putting up a ceiling, ripping out walls to insulate then rebuilding.... it will be like my own fat boot camp. I'm going to load up on easy to prepare/satisfying meals with plenty of fruit and veggies to snack on. And popsicles. Probably not the healthiest of choices but compared to what I would eat otherwise (ice cream!) it's fine. 

#9 of 18 Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

Congrats on the weight loss! I haven't really changed my diet yet, I'm focusing more on exercise. DH will be on vacation after today and we have a long list of renovation work to do around here. THAT should burn some calories! Removing old siding, putting up a ceiling, ripping out walls to insulate then rebuilding.... it will be like my own fat boot camp. I'm going to load up on easy to prepare/satisfying meals with plenty of fruit and veggies to snack on. And popsicles. Probably not the healthiest of choices but compared to what I would eat otherwise (ice cream!) it's fine. 

Renovation boot camp! Good luck!

I've lost 7 lbs so far. My diet has drastically improved and I've been working out regularly. Today was my bday and a friend brought over an iced cappuccino and dh brought me ice cream when he came home from work - and I let myself enjoy them, but I did not feel well afterwards. My stomach is still kind of blech. I'll keep that feeling in mind the next time I'm tempted by something sweet and rich!

#10 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can I join you all? I'm AWFUL at losing weight, mostly b/c I have no self-control.

I have found in the past that if I cut out wheat and dairy, I can lose at least a few pounds in a reasonable amount of time. I can't face dropping both at once, so I've decided to drop all grains and just focus on getting more veggies into my body. (9 fruits and veggies seems like way too much for me, but it's the new guideline so I'm going with it.)

I started last week, but couldn't give up chocolate for a few days (haven't had any in 3 days), and "cheated" a couple of times with whole wheat pasta one day, a slice of bread one day, and a corn tortilla one day. Not bad over the course of a week, I think! I was completely grain- and chocolate-free today, so I'll say it took me a week to get over the carbs and hopefully I won't slip up again. I've lost 4 pounds in the past week! I've never been able to lose 4 pounds in a MONTH before, other than the time I stopped eating wheat and dairy. But that was so long ago, I don't remember what I ate.

Now I need to start exercising again. Walking the dog and chasing DS isn't enough!

#11 of 18 Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 AM

I haven't updated in a bit and have some good news to report. 

DH and I have been doing a lot of work the past 2 weeks on the house. It was slow going because it's been so hot and humid. One day I asked DH to take a picture of me on our front porch, dressed in work clothes, work boots, tool belt and giant crowbar surrounded by destruction. I thought it would be so bad ass. Instead it just made me realize how fat I look. Not just pleasantly plump like I had been in the past, but BLOATED AND FAT! I was pretty pissed off (at myself, at the world, at DH who can scarf down food and not gain weight). We were due to go grocery shopping so instead of getting the regular stuff I loaded up on fruits and veggies. 

So, since Friday morning I am back on Spark People, tracking diet and exercise. I cut back on how much I eat and pile on the fruit and veggies. I've lost 5lbs since then. I'm amazed it's coming off so quickly. I didn't mean to but I have completely cut out grains. I used to eat bread everyday (12 grain) but with so much focus on fruit and veggies I haven't missed it. 

Just went for a walk this morning with bits of jogging tossed in. I hadn't been for 2 weeks. I was feeling like a rusty piece of machinery when I tried jogging the first couple times but this morning I can see it happening for real some day. Oh, I have really scaled back on expectations. The plan is to walk with occasional jogging for THREE weeks, then start c25k. 

#12 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Can I join too? 

I also have about 50lbs to loose. My jump start happened the other day when my DS said to my DH, "how come mommy is bigger than you?
" Ouch! but so true. 

So, I have NEVER tried to loose weight before. I'm a vegetarian, and eat pretty healthy, just way too much! lol

I am trying to eat less, mostly fruit and vegis and I started taking evening walks. Not much but its a start!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#13 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Welcome Katrina! 

My first goal is to lose a total of 36lbs then rest and reevaluate. So far I've lost 7lbs, so 29lbs to go! joy.gifI also feel lighter, stronger and more flexible. I actually have this URGE to get out to exercise but it's been raining too much. It was DH's birthday yesterday so I baked him a small chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'm surprised at how little I'm craving it. I mean, I ate a piece but I can't hear it whispering my name all day long. wink1.gif lol.gif

#14 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM

I think that is very true. Once you get away from the sweet stuff it looses some of its power! 

Kids are eating icecream right now.... not looking!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#15 of 18 Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I am here too.  I have 30-40 pounds to lose.  I am fitter than I have been in a long time.  I just finished a sprint distance triathlon last weekend.  (not too fit though since it took me 1 hr 42 min). I wasn't super great about training this year.  However, I know that my worst problem is diet related.  I am an emotional eater.  Also, the winters kill me --seasonal affect disorder.  I have a plan of attack for this winter though!  My current goal is to get my diet under control this fall and maintain an exercise routine.  Having a routine with food/exercise will hopefully carry me through the winter (exercise will be a must in the winter because it raises seretonin levels --thus helping with SAD).  

What is crazy though is that I eat really well.  Healthy foods, mostly whole foods, etc.  Just too much.  

Biggest problems:  emotional eating, my mother, and winter

Biggest helps: we already eat well, rarely eat out, and I already exercise

Goal: 30 pounds

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#16 of 18 Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM

I got serious about tracking food (and moving my body!) in August and lost 10lbs! joy.gif

I don't expect to lose as much this month as most of it happened the first week. 

Goals for September: lose 5lbs and got out walking/"jogging" 2-3 times each week. 

#17 of 18 Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow, Heather, congratulations!!

I am counting the weeks instead of going by calendar month, b/c I'm only counting my Monday weigh-ins since I can't seem to stay off the scale and it defeats me if I track it too closely. I lost 4 pounds my first week, then 1 pound the second, then nothing since. I have not been as steadfast in being grain-free as I'd like; it's HARD. (I am used to bagel/whole wheat toast for breakfast, sandwich/wrap for lunch and rice or pasta with dinner every day.) But I have realized that I need to do it b/c it helps me eat more healthfully AND I do lose weight that way.

I started to get discouraged, but then a FB friend from high school randomly posted about her weight loss. I didn't know she'd been trying, and she's always been on the heavy side, but she posted about being proud to hit the 20-lb mark and persevering even though she hadn't lost any weight for over 3 weeks. She just kept doing what she was doing and then a few more pounds just came off suddenly. I kept that in mind when my own progress stopped, and I'm hoping I can continue to lose, even if it's 2 pounds/month. I'll be upping my exercise as soon as the weather cools enough to go out without dying of the heat!

Looking forward to everyone's success updates!

#18 of 18 Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'd love to join up with you.  I've split my weight-loss goal in three parts:  First the 5lbs to get back to pre-pregnancy; 10 more pounds would put me at a reasonable goal weight that I don't want to go above ever again; 10 pounds beyond that would be ideal.  But somehow I can't even get through the first 5 lbs!!! 

I'm having major self-control issues, so although my planned diet is good (lots of fruits and veggies, etc.), sometime in the afternoon before supper I end up shoveling starch/cheese-type food in my mouth without thinking about it.  I'm the type that eats a TON while cooking.  And I do all of the cooking.  So, my major goal is to lose weight by ONLY eating intentionally.  I've noticed that my self-control plummets when DD (17 months) isn't sleeping well.  I'm not sure what I can do about that.  Anyone have advice on that? 

Second goal is to be more active, but honestly, I'm just not sure how to approach it.  I'm with DD all day every day (DP usually doesn't get home early enough to see her during the week - much less to help her).  We generally go for a walk, but beyond that...I'm not sure what to do on the exercise front.  And that's really the most important thing for me, because I used to be very strong and active, and I am now completely out of shape. 

BTW:  I HAVE done couch to 5k, and I really liked it.  I found that I got stuck at about 3 minutes of running.  I kept doing that week's workout over and over, but couldn't seem to improve.  Then one day I decided just to push past the three minutes - and I ran for 25 with absolutely no problem!  I wish I could try that program again. 

Looking forward to hearing how you all are doing and some suggestions that might help me out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page