August: The Dingo Days of Summer - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

And then I wonder what kind of useless moron I must be that I have a PhD and can't even figure out how to get a job that pays decently and at the same time do what needs to be done for the kids and house and all. There are no good options.

argh. yes. this. I keep saying that we would be a much more balanced household if I were the PT-er and my dh were the full timer. Honestly, I think as professional, well educated women we need to keep pushing for change in a work environment. Its a win win for people: employees are happier and focusing on family = happier kids.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#362 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Ooh, ooh, me too! nod.gif Nick, I was going to say "you need to be writing!" But then, I can tell you it has not exactly led us to become independently wealthy. orngtongue.gif And of course, I am just now easing out of an extra-long, extra-dependent summer vacation in hellfire, but my skin is practically crawling off my body with the frustration of wanting/needing the space and time alone to do the work involved in being a writer. And then dh comes up with an asinine non sequitur like, as I complain about following behind my family like a guy with the broom behind the elephants, "this is your full time job now." My @$$ if cleaning up after normal, somewhat-capable human beings is my FT job. Scrub your own damn toilet. And in the next breath, he asks my help with reports and proposals and such. Makes me tired. Like, he can admit I'm a good writer to the point of using my services, but not to the point of helping me really make it happen. Patience. It will come. Three years ago, he apparently thought my job was admin. At least now he can say "writer."

But absolutely, yes, on questioning everything. Of course, we are questioning and then questioning our questioning. My dh is ten years older, but this is apparently the exact right number of years for us to be on-pace with our crises. eyesroll.gif Did I mention I hate his metabolism? I HATE it. When I got here, he weighed more than me, and I was at a 5-year high. Three months and one Ramadan later and he's easily 10 pounds lighter than I am--he lost 25 to my (maybe) 10. And he eats piles of bread, fatty meat. Doesn't run or swim. His cardio is, apparently, smoking. Not fair.

Speaking of, still working on shifting to diurnal life. Swam in the pool a wee bit this afternoon, but to be fair, I cleaned house, hardcore, for 4 hours before that. And only ate once all day. Hoping the food discipline sticks with me and the exercise discipline increases.

And, ugh, I have two very sick cats in my house. The street kittens we took on came down with something, I'm guessing something viral because there's a fever and they got sick first one, then two days later, the other. No diarrhea or vomiting, no gooey stuff coming out of mouth/nose/eyes/ears, but weak to the point of not walking, not eating, not drinking. I am hydrating them with a baby dropper and oral rehydration solution, plus daily baby vitamin drops. Tomorrow, the vet (not looking forward to the bill, but if they need meds, I will get them). Hoping to just slowly get them back to eating and building up their strength. If they were on the street, they'd have been long dead. The first one to get sick walked a few steps today, and also used the litterbox to pee. That was a huge improvement over yesterday and going to bed expecting to find a dead cat in the kitchen in the morning.

Plan is to really swim tomorrow. I am going to set the alarm tonight and go out early.

#363 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Jo, I really do feel as if we are long lost sisters. Seriously. If it wasn't for the whole penis-and-general-male-body thing, it would be a lot easier to be married to a woman.

And ROTFLMAO about following behind the herd of elephants. I feel like the broom is my extra appendage. Or the swiffer, or the vacuum. Interchangeable. 

Am in the middle of a knock down drag out here over educational choices. It's not going well. More later, or maybe on the yahoo group. irked.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#364 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
bec

I'm reading, and nodding along.  Trying out my just listening without interjecting skills.  It feels like I've been spending the last week just telling myself to just shut up already.  It's taken a toll on my self esteem.  Which, of course, gets focused on really hating my body.  I saw a picture of myself after a 5k a couple of years ago.  I was marathon training, had been doing south beach hardcore, and was looking and feeling fantastic.  I WANT that back. 

Speaking of, THANK YOU JayGee for the book!  It arrived today, so will be immersing myself with Eat Clean.  I think I am ready.  Really ready.

RR: Strength class today with my favorite teacher.  She kicked our butts.  Then, walked the dogs for about 1.5 miles.  It's about 95 degrees here, so I was dripping sweat by the time I got back.  Calling it strength and cardio!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#365 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Jo, I really do feel as if we are long lost sisters. Seriously. If it wasn't for the whole penis-and-general-male-body thing, it would be a lot easier to be married to a woman.

And ROTFLMAO about following behind the herd of elephants. I feel like the broom is my extra appendage. Or the swiffer, or the vacuum. Interchangeable. 

Am in the middle of a knock down drag out here over educational choices. It's not going well. More later, or maybe on the yahoo group. irked.gif

I can name several women I would love to run a household with. Dingoes on the list. I actually have a 5-year plan (is it a fantasy?) with my friend from home. We have worked our husbands into it, vaguely. lol.gif Because they would insist.

hug2.gifOn school stuff. I just wrote a column on reading classics. It's not done, but it is due. I can see myself working hard to balance my kids' educations over the next several years. Awaiting your yahoo email.

bec, as they say on Whaddya Know, your opinions are well-reasoned and insightful. I know exactly what you are talking about wrt self-esteem and the body stuff (negative chatter, negative chatter!), and I am right beside you. Love to you, mama. You're a strong and caring woman.

#366 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Speaking of talking about ones self loveeyes.gif

You'll recall that I thought I had a yeast infection. But symptoms led me to believe it was BV instead. so treated for 5 days, only to still be itchy (if this is TMI, read no further lol.gif). Went to see my doc just now for a swab, and she said, essentially, that it was such a clear ("it" being the sample under the microscope) and abundant example of yeast, that she called over the medical assistants to show them what it looks like 2whistle.gif I just said "glad I could help"

Weird though, as I have not been eating sugar and take probiotics shrug.gif

In other news, Dh has been offered an admin. position at the hospital, to be ED director, or some such. He would still be half-time clinical (which he wants to be nights) and then the rest of the time would be meetings and trouble shooting, oh, and did I mention meetings. He likes the idea, and it all sounds good on the surface, but I have been through this enough times to know that things that sound good on the surface never turn out to be so good. Im wracking my brain to imagine all the ways this could turn bad, besides that he will end up working way more hours than proscribed.

Bec - Im very sorry about the hit to your self-esteem hug.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#367 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM

hey dingoes,

I can't even begin to catch up with this thread but I was popping in to sub to the new sept thread which I can't yet find :)

Anyway, hopefully back in the swing of things soon. I am pretty sad a lot of the time - though also doing okay. I just had my first period post d and c and I'm trying to look forward but it is very hard, frankly. Trying to get back into some training but I feel out of shape, oafish and just plain GAH.

So that's my cheerful 'hello'. Miss you all though lovely to be in touch at least via FB or DM.

Jo, so sorry about your kitties.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#368 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

And TOTALLY AGREE, Wise Kerc

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#369 of 369 Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 PM

New month, new thread!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page