Postpartum Weight Loss - August! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations on your baby!!!babyf.gif

We are glad you found this thread. We are a group of Mamas trying to get back in shape postpartum. We have varying amounts of weight to lose and and are trying a variety of strategies to do so.  Welcome.

This is our official accountability thread!
If you want to be added to the roll, let me know your info and I will get you listed. And of course, let me know any changes you want made to your listing by posting in bold. We want to share your success with you!
If you have any links to tips, recipes or exercise you want to share, I will post that too.

Current Hot Mama's-

addiesmum- Current Weight- 183 lbs, Goal Weight- 155 lbs, Total Lost-

amaayeh- Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 7 lbs!

Amandamanda- Current Weight- 133lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 87 lbs!

Amy@STL- Current Weight-179lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 5 lbs!
AnnieMac- Current Weight- 110.5lbs, Goal Weight- 100lbs, Total Lost- 31 lbs!

BaileyB- Current Weight- 158lbs, Goal Weight- 148lbs, Total Lost- 32 lbs!

Carley- Current Weight- 130lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 26 lbs!

Chloe'sMama- Current Weight- 148lbs, Goal Weight- 135lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

Decafmom-Current Weight- 122lbs, Goal Weight- 110lbs, Total Lost- 29.5 lbs!

Geigerin- Current Weight- 208lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-

Gobecgo- Current Weight- 211lbs, Goal Weight- 175lbs, Total Lost- 20 lbs!

Greenlea- Current Weight- 180lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost-

Hollymommy- Current Weight- 131lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

Hollyrose 114-Current Weight- , Goal Weight- , Total Lost-

ibusymomto5- Current Weight- 145 lbs, Goal Weight- 135 lbs, Total Lost- 9 lbs!

Ihugtrees- Current Weight- 156lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 16lbs!

ILoveMyBabyBird- Current Weight- 183.8lbs, Goal Weight- 155lbs, Total Lost-

JAntoinette- Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 132lbs, Total Lost-

Jess_paez- Current Weight- 181lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 23 lbs!
KittyWitty- Current Weight- 152lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 17 lbs!

lapoli- Current Weight- 124 lbs, Goal Weight- 115 lbs, Total Lost-

Laylasmomplus1- Current Weight- 252lbs, Goal Weight- 205lbs, Total Lost

LoveLife- Current Weight-130 , Goal Weight- 112lbs, Total Lost- 16 lbs!

Lovemore- Current Weight- 124lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost-31 lbs!

Loveneverfails-Current Weight- 162lbs, Goal Weight- 160lbs, Total Lost-10 lbs!

Mamacatsbaby-Current Weight- 185lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 10 lbs!

mamaofprincesses-Current Weight- 181lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost-

mamapigeon- Current Weight- 231lbs, Goal Weight- 190lbs, Total Lost- 5 lbs!

MamitaM- Current Weight- 121lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 39 lbs!

Mammab21- Current Weight- 160lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-
Mandica- Current Weight- 134.5lbs, Goal Weight- 134lbs, Total Lost-68 lbs!

Mauraa629- Current Weight- 154lbs, Goal Weight- 122lbs, Total Lost-

Melissa- Current Weight - 155lbs, Goal Weight 135lbs, Total Lost-

Mylilmonkeys- Current Weight- 191lbs, Goal Weight- 170lbs, Total Lost-6 lbs!

OneWithTwo- Current Weight- 200lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost-

Oregonicmama- Current Weight-, Goal Weight-, Total Lost-

Pacificbliss- Current Weight- 169lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 15 lbs!

Pittnurse08- Current Weight- 135.5lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 70 lbs!
Poorlittlefish- Current Weight- 163lbs, Goal Weight- 150lbs, Total Lost- 4 lbs!

prone_to_wander- Current Weight- 155lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost-

RaeRae91-Current Weight- 145lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 28 lbs!

Sandrine- Current Weight- , Goal Weight- , Total Lost-

Snapdragon- Current Weight- 150lbs, Goal Weight- 120lbs, Total Lost-
SpuglyRoo- Current Weight- 125lbs, Goal Weight- 125lbs, Total Lost- 59 lbs!

StellaNuova - Current Weight- 141lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost- 39 lbs!

Sunsetdancer- Current Weight- 233lbs, Goal Weight- 153lbs, Total Lost-

Taryn237- Current Weight- 229 lbs, Goal Weight- 160 lbs, Total Lost- 2lbs!

Theoldmommers- Current Weight- 129lbs, Goal Weight- 115lbs, Total Lost- 38 lbs!
Tracymom1- Current Weight- 136 lbs, Goal Weight- 120lbs, Total Lost- 9 lbs!

transylvania_mom- Current Weight- 150lbs, Goal Weight- 130lbs, Total Lost-

TrekkinGirl- Current Weight- 194lbs, Goal Weight- 170lbs, Total Lost- 10 lbs!

Upnorthmama- Current Weight- 208lbs, Goal Weight- 140lbs, Total Lost- 15 lbs!

Wendylynnn- Current Weight- 150lbs, Goal Weight- 135lbs, Total Lost-

#2 of 47 Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Summer is in full swing. Congratulations on the recent losses. I think I got the last few updates from the July thread. The list is getting long. I think I need to put some effort in and see who is still active. Maybe send a couple of notes out. 

As for me, I am at a plateau I guess. I have stalled out at 170. Actually, it bounces around but never goes under. I am determined to see a six next to the one this week even if it is 169.9.

Send updates please! 

#3 of 47 Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

last i weighed in I was still at 194lbs. As of two days ago I am on a high dosage of a steroid called prednisone. I'm hoping to avoid back surgery. We'll see what happens. From what I hear, this medicine is notorious to cause weight gain..... My dose goes down tomorrow and will gradually decrease over the next eight days. At least i only have to stay on it for 10 days total. I think I am off the bandwagon for now while I'm on the meds and focusing on my health. Will keep you posted.

edited to add....I spoke with the pediatrician who was very encouraging. He said he would rather see a mother on medication breastfeeding than switching to formula. The breastmilk is still better for the baby. He also said that the prednisone doesn't come through the milk. I was really worried about that. I hope that if I have to have surgery that it won't be a hinderance to breastfeeding.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#4 of 47 Old 08-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Still 229... didn't really count WW points last week.  I feel like I'm in limbo.  Waiting for my T-Tapp dvds to come and kindergarten to start so I can join WW.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#5 of 47 Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 AM

Holding at 140 (weighed myself the other day in a home with a scale).  I suspect these last 10 lbs won't want to go anywhere till I am ready to wean.  I am not in a rush to wean and the extra 10 aren't too bad as I am tall so I am just going to focus on eating healthy foods and trying to get a bit of exercise till I am ready to wean. Maybe over time I'll drop a couple more before my babe weans, we'll see!

#6 of 47 Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm stuck too. I haven't been exercising at all... I'm not really sure how to get motivated.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#7 of 47 Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM

wow, sounds like I'm not the only one in a rut. must be something in the summer air

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#8 of 47 Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Hi.  I am new to this thread.  I had a baby in April and gained a lot of weight.  I ate healthy and practiced yoga daily before this pregnancy.  But in the first trimester i was so sick i could only eat bagels and cereal and going to yoga class made me sick, so i got out of the habit of excercise and into the habit of carbs. I am still kicking myself, but trying to not be upset about the fact that i gained over 60 lbs!  I only gained 30ish with my others, so I am a bit in shock still.  I'm getting married in October and was hoping to be close to my normal size by then (a 6), but I will not be even close (currently a 16).  Oh well, right?  I really wish I wasn't so attached to the way I look.

I don't know how much I weigh now, so I'll have to figure that out to get on the roster.  So far I have been sort of flaky about exercising.  I have done a few videos here and there and have been hiking and walking sporadically.  What I really need is a class that I have to show up to and pay for or I won't stay motivated.  DH was afraid to stay with the baby alone for a whole hour (sheesh!) so I could go to a class until recently.  But I signed myself up for a deep water fitness class at our local pool during my DDs swim lessons, so now he has to come and watch the girls at lessons and hold the baby and it is going fine.  I guess I just had to be sneeky about it!  I love the class... it's way harder than I thought it would be.  And I will definitely go because I would be too embarassed to sit at the swim lessons in the same pool as my class and not attend.  Hey. whatever motivates me right?

I have also done some pretty drastic dietary changes which is something I do a lot anyway and not a big deal for me.  Previous to the pregnancy I was eating most a traditional foods type diet with occasional slips into reese's pb cup land.  But mostly OG, whole grains, raw or cultured dairy, etc.  Now I have started doing a mostly raw diet.  with green smoothies for breakfasts with superfoods added, salads, veggie wraps,etc for lunch and then a normal dinner.  This is a big change for me, but it's going good.  I like the smoothies and am having fun trying different veggies in my salads.  It's really amazing how many things you can turn cashews into.  I can see that I am loosing weight already and I feel lighter and happier and my skin looks better.  I think I will be able to stick with the raw diet easily because DH is into it too and we both have been vegan in the past. 

It would be really great to have some ladies to chat with who are working to loose weight too.  I am glad I found this thread and look forward to getting to know you.  :)

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#9 of 47 Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM

I'll join,  gained about 47 pounds. Dd is 14 weeks. I haven't lost anymore past the intial week PP so I am at 183.8 as of 8/1. I began watching what I eat on that date and so far this week I have done really well. I am not depriving myself and I am eating a lot of nuts, allowing for a few whole grains a day and just trying to enforce better eating habits all around. I really want to do this and stick with it and eventually get all the family eating better. Like a PP I was really eating cereal and peanut butter sandwichs and potato chips in the early trimester so my eating habits were that of a kid and my whole family has suffered. Ds has become heavier, (not overweight, but no longer slim) because my bad habits rubbed off on him and it is going to take some time to eliminate his junk food habits as he loves it so much, but I am working at that as well.

pre-preg weight: 154

high preg weight 201

current weight: 183.8

goal: 155

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#10 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm still here! Just busy with my brood. Jude is a very, very fussy baby so I don't get on MDC much these days. I did't weigh myself last week but I have been doing well with my eating and exercise. I only have 3 days a week where I am able to work out right now but that should change soon.

Welcome new mamas!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM

today is my last day on the prednisone and it looks like I gained three pounds in the ten days. I'm curious to see if it will come right off when I get back to my normal self. I'm still waiting for my MRI to see if I need surgery.

#12 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM

Trekkingirl, your prednisone weight should easily go away. I have been on it in the past and haven't had a problem getting rid of the few pounds i gained. I hope your back troubles get better. Keep us posted!
Well, I decided to weigh today instead of Wednesday because I missed last week. I am noe 137!!!! Yay!! Please update me:joy

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#13 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome.gifILoveMyBabyBird and OregonicMama!

Trekkingirl- There can be a fair amount of water retention with steroids so I bet the 3 lbs drops off quickly.

I am working on an edit of the list and will post it soon for inspection. Essentially I plan to go back through a few months of threads and see who has not posted in a while. I am going to delete inactive members but will hold their stats so I can always put them back up with total weight lost if they come back. Hopefully it is not seen as unsupportive. Any lurkers who don't like to post please just send me a note and I will keep you on the list.

#14 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Hi there! I am new around here as well. I gained 70lbs with my pregnancy, first baby and had bad bad morning sickness. I too fell off the exercise wagon and onto the carb train...since having my daughter in February I have managed to lose 40lbs and need to get rid of this remaining 30lbs. I have a gorgeous wardrobe that I am determined to get back into before I return to work as I don't want to spend a fortune re-wardrobing myself! My daugher is now 5 and a half months old and not yet sleeping thru the night, so I am still pretty tired...working out is a struggle. I started back to the gym in the evenings once she goes to bed, but am finding it difficult to get my lazy self to the gym at night! I also need to get my diet straightened out and back to pre-pregnancy portions!! Looking for ladies to chat with, share successes and frustrations. I have 6 months until I return to work, and this 30 lbs has just got to go!! I am currently at 183 lbs, need to get down to 155 lbs to be where I was prior to pregnancy...another 10 on top of that would be a bonus, but I will be ecstatic with 155!

#15 of 47 Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM

I had forgotteN about this thread..I am so glad to be back. My current weight is 179lb!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#16 of 47 Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 AM

I'll join too! Last summer before getting pregnant I lost a lot of weight and got in shape doing WW and running and lifting weights. I still had about 5lbs to go to my ideal, but I was feeling really good. Then, I started the pregnancy with bleeding and bad m/s and gained 10lbs just in the 1st trimester. I exercised off and on during the 2nd and 3rd trimester, but I ended up gaining about 30-35lbs total. I lost 20lbs pp in the first few weeks, but then I actually started gaining a little around 4-8wks pp!

So, here I am at 3mos pp and back on WW. It's working but slowly. This is my 4th week of WW, and I'm focusing on the Healthy Checks everyday and also exercising most days. I tend to not lose while nursing no matter how good I'm eating unless I am doing regular, strenuous exercise. I'm limited to quick sessions(20-30min) right now, because ds is still nursing so often all day.

Also, it seems one junky meal, even though well within my point limit sets me back for days. I had been down to a 7.4lbs loss last week but gained back a little after splurging on a meal and dessert over the weekend. Ugh! Hoping that weight comes off in the next few days.

Anyway, here are my stats if you could add me.:-)

Starting Weight(4wks ago) - 154lbs
Current Weight(this morning) - 148lbs
Goal - 135lbs - hoping to get there by Oct/Nov

Total lost so far - 6lbs
Left to lose - 13lbs

Good luck to everyone! Looking forward to joining you all!joy.gif

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#17 of 47 Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 AM

I haven't been nearly as active on our threads since I hit my goal weight (I'm 125! Woohoo! Update please!)  but things got crazy around here at the same time.  Right now I'm working on body fat, and by working on I mean not really doing anything and hoping that it goes down winky.gif.  I'd like to be 25% or less and this morning I was 29% so it doesn't seem like I have far to go, but those numbers are really tough for me to change.  We'll see.  I've been rowing in our little 3 foot pool a few times a day (by which I mean standing outside and rowing with the skimmer to get the water to circulate because we are having trouble keeping it maintained properly) but I didn't start doing that specifically for exercise, I just noticed that it was making a difference in my arms.  I feel like I look a little ridiculous, but who cares?  So, now that I've finally gotten down to pre pregnancy weight...I'm ready to have another one :-D I knew that would happen and was planning on that being the case since I want all my babies in July (2 down, 2 to go!) but after this second round of postpartum weight loss, I'm prepared to try much harder to control myself when I do actually get pregnant again.  Having cut out wheat means that there's a lot less filler and fluff in our diet, so hopefully that will help a lot.  I do miss bread though.  And EVERYTHING ELSE you can bake with wheat.  Some things are totally able to be converted to a wheatless existence, like a cheesesteak salad we had for dinner the other night instead of cheesesteak subs, delicious! But other things aren't so great without their bread accompaniment (hot dogs are gross without the rolls, hamburgers are so so). 

Anyway, I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi before I go back to lurking and hopefully starting the pregnancy weight gain and loss cycle all over.  Keep up all the great work ladies! 

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#18 of 47 Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome.gifaddiesmum and ibusymomto5! Congratulations SpuglyRoo and Amy@STL!

I think I have the first post updated. I am going through the list and sending PM to see who is still around. It actually turned out to be easier than combing through old threads. Please forgive me if I send you a message even though you have been active on the thread. It's tough to track sometimes.

AFM, even though DD is still nursing I don't think she eats much when she nurses so I changed my WW setting to not nursing. We will see if i can get past this plateau now.

#19 of 47 Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Random fly by to say I think I have been eating too much hummus. 

#20 of 47 Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 PM

I think I have been eating too much everything..... but my mom says I look skinnier   shrug.gif

#21 of 47 Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 PM

I haven't participated in awhile as I haven't been on MDC much lately!

I'm sad to say things got worse before they got better. When I joined this thread I was a little over a year post partum, weighing 165 and aiming for 130. Unfortunately I went up to 172. When I saw that number on the scale, I literally got tears in my eyes. That is only 5 lbs less than I was the day I gave birth to my daughter. How could I have lost 20 lbs right after the birth, and not lost any more, but actually GAINED more?! Well, that was sort of the final straw for me...this was in June. I've been trying to eat healthier since then and even have actually exercised a few times. I'm down to 156! I can't even describe how happy it makes me to be in the 150's again...

I have a visit (and possibly move) home in November, and I REALLY want to lose a lot more weight by then. I'm going to try to get a more consistent workout routine going (I want to start doing 30 minutes of strength + 20 minutes of cardio at least 3 times a week.) Unfortunately my gym has inconvenient childcare hours so the only time I can make it at all is in the late afternoon...just when I'm feeling the laziest and least motivated! However, since I almost never have time away from DD (she even comes to work with me! and her dad is in another country) my motivation is mostly that I get to shower ALL BY MYSELF!!! after I work out. If I try *really* hard, I think I can lose at least another 20 before the trip in November..but even another 11 lbs to get me to my pre-preg weight would thrill me.

So, to update my stats...I was 172, lost 16 lbs. Goal weight is still 130. Also, I hope I'm not too far PP to join this thread...my daughter just turned 2! We've had LOT happen in the last few years (cross country move, ending of marriage, exdh moving to Japan, etc) so I haven't been on the ball about losing the weight I gained from pregnancy. Hopefully this thread will help motivate me.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#22 of 47 Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

ihugtrees that is awesome! Impressive with all that you have had going on too. As far as I am concerned people can stay on this thread as long as they want. There is life before kids and there is life postpartum. KWIM?

#23 of 47 Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM

I agree the more the merier. As many people are posting that just means all the more support.

#24 of 47 Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 AM

For some reason, I seem to have been mistaken as the owner of this thread and getting PMs from members. I am not the one to PM! Its pacifibliss innocent.gif

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#25 of 47 Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So far my weight loss thing is NOT working out! greensad.gif I am holding steady here at 148.  On a good day 146.  It is so strange for me that I am still this much heavier 16 months after giving birth!! I realized today that I way about the same much more than I did pre pregnancy as my 16 month old weighs- he weighs 23 and a 1/2 or so pounds and I am about that much over my previous weight.

I am not sure how to achieve this goal but it is starting to really get to me.  I am starting a weekly yoga class in the fall. The best exercise I used to do pre baby was simply lots of walking, some biking, and lots of gardening. I haven't done any gardening this year (we moved a lot and I didn't have a garden this year). I try to walk some every day but it doesn't end up being that long. I do have a bike- haven't used it since I got pregnant- but I am planning to get it (it is still at my old house and need sto be pumped up and cleaned up) and that will probably help a lot.

I read some celebrity quote where a new mom said every time her baby napped she went to the gym!! I thought that was cool- I would love to work out (outside though- not a gym person) when ds sleeps- but I need to stay home as I don't have a nanny or sitter or anything. So I stay in when he naps! The only exercise time I get is if I am carrying him or pushing him in the stroller or when dh is home (evenings and weekends). And I am still eating too much I guess- In a past time when I needed to lose about 10 lbs I cut out carbs and much fat and exercised a ton. But I can't seem to motivate to do that now. I don't have enough child free time to exercise, and I am not that motivated to totally diet- I keep thinkng I should I go for a couple days on a lower fat diet but then I just say screw it.

Any ideas? I am tired of feeling over weight and I am really eager to shed some of this already. It is so much hareder to lose than I thought it owuld be I don't even get it!! I welcome any ideas- I am 146-148, I used to be 120-125 pre pregnancy, and at this point I would be thrilled ot be 130. How do I do it?!!!

#26 of 47 Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm right there with you...except that I'm teetering 200 pounds. I just don't feel like doing it again. After my first pregnancy I lost 80lbs and 70lbs after my second, now with the third I'm just tired of doing it! I hate my double chin and my butt and my muffin top but when it comes to diet and excersize I'm just bleh. I have so much more important things to focus on right now. Like my bad back, needing to move to be sitting better financially, and the baby of course. I'm a bit stressed too because after getting my first PPAF I had an oops right around my fertile time                

jaw.gif

That would be so hard in sooooo many ways besides the fact that I am just way too fat to be pregnant again. I just really hope that I'm not.

#27 of 47 Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy@STL View Post

For some reason, I seem to have been mistaken as the owner of this thread and getting PMs from members. I am not the one to PM! Its pacifibliss innocent.gif

Oh no, I have been PMing to my limit every day to see who still wants to be here. Some of the ladies must be hitting reply to that and it's going to you instead? Sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

So far my weight loss thing is NOT working out! greensad.gif I am holding steady here at 148.  On a good day 146.  It is so strange for me that I am still this much heavier 16 months after giving birth!! I realized today that I way about the same much more than I did pre pregnancy as my 16 month old weighs- he weighs 23 and a 1/2 or so pounds and I am about that much over my previous weight.

I read some celebrity quote where a new mom said every time her baby napped she went to the gym!! I thought that was cool- I would love to work out (outside though- not a gym person) when ds sleeps- but I need to stay home as I don't have a nanny or sitter or anything. So I stay in when he naps! The only exercise time I get is if I am carrying him or pushing him in the stroller or when dh is home (evenings and weekends). And I am still eating too much I guess- In a past time when I needed to lose about 10 lbs I cut out carbs and much fat and exercised a ton. But I can't seem to motivate to do that now. I don't have enough child free time to exercise, and I am not that motivated to totally diet- I keep thinkng I should I go for a couple days on a lower fat diet but then I just say screw it.

Any ideas? I am tired of feeling over weight and I am really eager to shed some of this already. It is so much hareder to lose than I thought it owuld be I don't even get it!! I welcome any ideas- I am 146-148, I used to be 120-125 pre pregnancy, and at this point I would be thrilled ot be 130. How do I do it?!!!

I love the celebrity quote, yes, if I had 3 nannies, a personal trainer and chef I would be skinny too. I think a big part of the struggle with pp weight loss is the fact we don't ever get enough sleep. Not only does this make it hard to find the energy but it stresses the body and that makes it hold on to fat. I have found that designated workout time is not happening and I have to just sneak things in here and there. I chase my 4 year old, do squats when I brush my teeth, hold a plank as long as I can. Seems to be working for now. Things are toning up and muscle burns more calories than fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I'm right there with you...except that I'm teetering 200 pounds. I just don't feel like doing it again. After my first pregnancy I lost 80lbs and 70lbs after my second, now with the third I'm just tired of doing it! I hate my double chin and my butt and my muffin top but when it comes to diet and excersize I'm just bleh. I have so much more important things to focus on right now. Like my bad back, needing to move to be sitting better financially, and the baby of course. I'm a bit stressed too because after getting my first PPAF I had an oops right around my fertile time                

jaw.gif

That would be so hard in sooooo many ways besides the fact that I am just way too fat to be pregnant again. I just really hope that I'm not.

Oooh, keep us posted. How long did it take you to lose all the weight before? Maybe pull out some pics from that time and see if it helps motivate you?

#28 of 47 Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post

I haven't participated in awhile as I haven't been on MDC much lately!

I'm sad to say things got worse before they got better. When I joined this thread I was a little over a year post partum, weighing 165 and aiming for 130. Unfortunately I went up to 172. When I saw that number on the scale, I literally got tears in my eyes. That is only 5 lbs less than I was the day I gave birth to my daughter. How could I have lost 20 lbs right after the birth, and not lost any more, but actually GAINED more?! Well, that was sort of the final straw for me...this was in June. I've been trying to eat healthier since then and even have actually exercised a few times. I'm down to 156! I can't even describe how happy it makes me to be in the 150's again...

I have a visit (and possibly move) home in November, and I REALLY want to lose a lot more weight by then. I'm going to try to get a more consistent workout routine going (I want to start doing 30 minutes of strength + 20 minutes of cardio at least 3 times a week.) Unfortunately my gym has inconvenient childcare hours so the only time I can make it at all is in the late afternoon...just when I'm feeling the laziest and least motivated! However, since I almost never have time away from DD (she even comes to work with me! and her dad is in another country) my motivation is mostly that I get to shower ALL BY MYSELF!!! after I work out. If I try *really* hard, I think I can lose at least another 20 before the trip in November..but even another 11 lbs to get me to my pre-preg weight would thrill me.

So, to update my stats...I was 172, lost 16 lbs. Goal weight is still 130. Also, I hope I'm not too far PP to join this thread...my daughter just turned 2! We've had LOT happen in the last few years (cross country move, ending of marriage, exdh moving to Japan, etc) so I haven't been on the ball about losing the weight I gained from pregnancy. Hopefully this thread will help motivate me.

I did the same thing with initially losing 20lbs early pp and then gaining some of it back. Good for you for getting to the 150s! November is sort of my goal too, because I want to look and feel better for the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

I am not sure how to achieve this goal but it is starting to really get to me.  I am starting a weekly yoga class in the fall. The best exercise I used to do pre baby was simply lots of walking, some biking, and lots of gardening. I haven't done any gardening this year (we moved a lot and I didn't have a garden this year). I try to walk some every day but it doesn't end up being that long. I do have a bike- haven't used it since I got pregnant- but I am planning to get it (it is still at my old house and need sto be pumped up and cleaned up) and that will probably help a lot.

We weigh the same, and I'd also love to get to 130, though my shorter goal is just getting to my pre-preg weight of 138. Have you tried Weight Watchers? I've lost 8lbs in the last 4 weeks and haven't felt deprived at all. The online version is nice, since you don't have to get out and go anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

jaw.gif

Wow, that's great that you were able to lose such a good amount in the past. You know you can do it! Hope things turn out like you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post

Oh no, I have been PMing to my limit every day to see who still wants to be here. Some of the ladies must be hitting reply to that and it's going to you instead? Sorry about that!

I love the celebrity quote, yes, if I had 3 nannies, a personal trainer and chef I would be skinny too. I think a big part of the struggle with pp weight loss is the fact we don't ever get enough sleep. Not only does this make it hard to find the energy but it stresses the body and that makes it hold on to fat. I have found that designated workout time is not happening and I have to just sneak things in here and there. I chase my 4 year old, do squats when I brush my teeth, hold a plank as long as I can. Seems to be working for now. Things are toning up and muscle burns more calories than fat.

Oooh, keep us posted. How long did it take you to lose all the weight before? Maybe pull out some pics from that time and see if it helps motivate you?

I think that is so true!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#29 of 47 Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I seem to be getting my groove back. Even though DD is still nursing (mostly at night) I dropped the nursing mother points on weight watchers. As long as I drink a lot of water it does not seem to have affected milk supply and it looks like I will push through a plateau this week. Even though I have far to go still I am starting to like what I see in the mirror.

#30 of 47 Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Oh Mamas! The motivation thing is so hard. You know what keeps me on track - seriously - the ONLY thing that keeps me on track???!!!

MY 20 YEAR HIGH SCHOOL REUNION!!!

It is happening in December and I'll be damned if I don't kick some of this weight before then. I am going to look good. Period. I also have 3 (possibly 4) weddings to attend next year and I really want to be able to buy or make some pretty new dresses. I have spent several years now being a frumpy mom and I will not tolerate that any longer!

I think the most important thing to remember is that exercise does not only get you to a good weight, it also feels good and helps you achieve longevity and healthfulness. I want to be around for my babies when they start having babies, and I am by no means a young mom so I have to work hard to stay healthy.

I also decided I am going to run the Chicago marathon next year. I am signing up and paying the fee the first day that I can so look out world! Here I come a-runnin'!!

Update: 136. Yay! joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page