weaning and weight loss? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I am new around here so forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. I have had several people tell me that the final weight won't come off until my baby has weaned? I find this hard to believe as breastfeeding is well known to help with weight loss. I have dropped 40 lbs since giving birth, and have been breast feeding and supplementing with formula. Recently, my daughter has decided she likes the bottle better and we have been breastfeeding less. I am pumping to try and maintain my supply, but my weight loss has also stalled and I am getting a bit frustrated with that! Can anyone share their experience with me? Is it difficult to lose those final pounds until you wean, or is that just a myth/old wives tale? I have 20-30lbs to go and would not stop breastfeeding to do it, I just want to know if that is something I can look forward to once my daughter is ready to wean?

#2 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had heard that, too, but I gained weight after I stopped BF.   My DD are 8 & 10 and sometimes I wish I could still BF-- now I have to exercise!redface.gif

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

#3 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! Yes, I am afraid I am going to have to exercise these last 30lbs off too! My little one is in a body cast so breast feeding is a bit challenging these days. She is now 5 months old and we have supplemented with formula from the beginning...however, lately she seems to be more interested in the bottle than the breast, I am still pumping but am considering giving that up too as she just seems to prefer solid food and formula. Let's hope I don't gain once I stop!!

#4 of 4 Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM

I think breastfeeding sometimes keeps 5-10 pounds extra, but more than that there is usually something else (hormones, diet, exercise) involved.  In my experience with both kiddos I kept about 10 pounds extra until I started exercising (around 6 months).  My youngest is now 2 and still BFing and I'm about 10 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant with him (and 15 pounds less than when I got pregnant with DS1).  BFing isn't always to blame for the last few stubborn pounds, but for particularly small women a few extra pounds are often kept on to help maintain a good supply. 

Keep in mind that a BFing mom only needs an extra 200-500 calories per day which isn't much more than a hearty snack.  If you are also supplementing with formula, less is needed. 

I was in a body cast when I was an infant for hip displasia.  My mom was able to nurse me on an elevated surface while I was on my back and she leaned over me (I have a few photos from this).  She also found lying down an easier position while I had the cast on.  I hope your little one heals quickly! 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page