How often do you weigh yourself? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you weigh yourself?
Once a day 8 38.10%
Once a week 8 38.10%
Once a month 3 14.29%
Less than once a month, but more than once a year 1 4.76%
Once a year 0 0%
Never (or almost never) 1 4.76%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When you aren't pregnant, that it. winky.gif

If you wish, add a note and say:

--do you have a scale at home? or do you weigh yourself someplace else?

--has how often you weigh yourself changed over time?

--what does weighing yourself do for you?

I'm just curious what people's habits are.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've gone for long periods of time in my adult life without weighing myself at all.

Then I got pregnant and got weighed all the time.

Thus far in 2011, I weighed myself in January and again in July. I am in very slow weight-loss mode, and I don't want to track my weight too carefully, because I find it actually more helpful to sense my progress by noticing how my clothes fit, how I feel, etc. I probably won't weigh myself again until sometime in 2012 (unless I have a doctor's visit between now & then).

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#3 of 15 Old 08-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I never used to weigh myself obsessively. I went with how I felt. But then I started to feel fat, got on the scale and almost fainted. Now that I'm trying to lose weight I weigh myself first thing each morning. I'm just starting out with a lifestyle change so I like seeing how it's working. I've also taken measurements of my waist, hips etc. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 15 Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM

When I was trying to lose weight, I weighed myself obsessively. Sometimes I would weigh myself in the morning and at night, which I realize makes absolutely no sense in regards to weight loss, but I was just dying to see results. But sooner or later, I realized I was starting to look better and feel great because I was eating better and LOVING running, so I stopped weighing myself. I hated seeing the lack of progress on the scale when I was feeling it emotionally and in my clothes. I felt like it was holding me back. I didn't weigh myself for months and when I weighed myself again 6 months later, I'd lost nearly 30 lbs. Since then I've stabilized and I weigh somewhere around 115. I've long since thrown away the scale, and I only get my weight at the doc's. I've weighed myself a few times recently because I was specifically trying to gain a few pounds.. but now I won't again for a long time.. with the exception of that fun animal weighing machine at the fair... lol.gif

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#5 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsmama View Post

When I was trying to lose weight, I weighed myself obsessively. Sometimes I would weigh myself in the morning and at night, which I realize makes absolutely no sense in regards to weight loss, but I was just dying to see results. But sooner or later, I realized I was starting to look better and feel great because I was eating better and LOVING running, so I stopped weighing myself. I hated seeing the lack of progress on the scale when I was feeling it emotionally and in my clothes. I felt like it was holding me back. I didn't weigh myself for months and when I weighed myself again 6 months later, I'd lost nearly 30 lbs. Since then I've stabilized and I weigh somewhere around 115. I've long since thrown away the scale, and I only get my weight at the doc's. I've weighed myself a few times recently because I was specifically trying to gain a few pounds.. but now I won't again for a long time.. with the exception of that fun animal weighing machine at the fair... lol.gif

As for this bolded part...this is why I don't weigh myself much. I've had the experience of feeling really good, fit, and healthy, and then stepping on the scale, seeing a number, and suddenly feeling fat, ugly, and gross. I don't know why a number on a scale can do that to me, but it's a terrible feeling. That's why I don't own a scale.

#6 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM

I often weigh myself several times per day, but that is related to running in the heat and determining how dehydrated I am.  I also find it fascinating how much weight fluctuates during the day, after meals, after drinking a large amount, etc. 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#7 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I do best if I weigh once a week.  If I were actually seeing my pant size go down, that would be great too.  However, right now I haven't been weighing much.  Parly because I don't want to know the number.  I know I am bigger.  I have to get back on track.  I need to take charge of the emotional battles with food.  I also measure myself at the beginning of any attempt of weight loss and about every 6 weeks after that.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#8 of 15 Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Before having DD2 5 years ago, I would weigh myself rarely. Since then, I've done it weekly. I'm currently at 104.3 pounds. (I'm 5'1") According to my doctor, 110 pounds is probably my optimal weight.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#9 of 15 Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Never.  the number on the scale doesnt matter a whole lot to me. how my clothes fit, how I feel and look is what matters. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 15 Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a history of major denial about weight gain-- ignoring what my clothes are telling me and not wanting to get on the scale, then being horribly surprised when I do.  So I weigh myself on the bathroom scale each morning with the attitude of "it's just information."  It seems to help keep the number more stable.

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

#11 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I pull out the scale every time I shower.  Back when I wasn't concerned about my weight, I never weighed myself at all.  Maybe I should have! Perhaps I could have caught myself before gaining, like 1.5 lbs a year for 10 years.  Funny how that adds up, especially with 5 lbs of pregnancy weight that I just can't shake!

#12 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Similar to the other ladies, I never weighed myself when I wasn't concerned about my weight either. However, after my third pregnancy (with twins!), I'm a little more obsessed with the number. Like  anjsmama and CI Mama, the number on the scale shouldn't affect me so much - but it always does. For some reason the weight melted away very quickly after my first two pregnancies, and this time I'm just irritated with the body changes I have. I guess I wouldn't care as much if I was heavier with clothes that FIT - but even the larger sizes I had for the previous post-pregnancy months are still too small. I was weighing myself every few days thinking that nursing twins was dwindling the pounds, but every time I hopped on the scale I would just be depressed. I've tried to refrain now. It just puts me in a bad mood - so I'm trying to focus on how I *feel* also.

Glad to see that some of you are like me!! :o)

#13 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Every day.  The number either reassures me that I'm eating well or reminds me to eat well :)

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#14 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Only at the drs office and I only know if I look. I've always weighed more than I look. Could be my muscular booty... ah... I make myself laugh.
#15 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Only at the drs office and I only know if I look. I've always weighed more than I look. Could be my muscular booty... ah... I make myself laugh.

I can so relate! My booty is very, very muscular...with some fluffy outer lining. thumb.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page