Mothering Forum banner

Please share..how do I start running!?

990 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  justmama 
#1 ·
So this may sound silly...
I am a super busy coparenting, working mom who is also in my final 8 months of grad school. I am generally fit but desire to loose this last stubborn bit. I have a hard time being committed to any workout regimen. Because gyms or classes clash with my hectic schedule, im really feeling like running is my best bet, plus I want to stay local. I have checked out C25K but I want to keep it super simple so I stay committed, like get out the door and run as many times a week as I can, no timing, no charts, no days. Of course I understand I need to stretch, warm up etc. But what I really want to know without counting so many minutes & intervals, what's the simpliest, most effetcive way to begin? Ideally I have 45 min every morning, is this enough?

I tend to stay up way too late so im hoping that forcing myslef up in the early am will get me to bed early.

#2 ·
When I did C25K I downloaded a program for my iPod which told me when to walk and when to run and played music in between. I didn't chart or document anything. I didn't time my sessions or the intervals I just put on my iPod and did what the nice man said
redface.gif

If you want to get even simpler than that then you could just use landmarks along your route. For example you could walk for 5 minutes to warm up then run to the next lamp post then walk to the next one then run to the next one and so on. As you got fitter you could run to the second lamp post then walk to the next one then run for two etc.

#3 ·
I think the simplest way to start is to run(or slow jog) till you can't then walk for a minute or two or three, whatever you need to catch your breath, then jog, then walk, etc. Do that for the time you have allotted. You will see that gradually you're able to run longer and faster and walk less and less. Just listen to your body and try to enjoy your time alone with nature. I like listening to my music, and sometimes I'll play little games with myself like .. I'll run till this song is over, etc. Oh, and make sure you have good running shoes, preferably some that are fitted to your foot from a running store. Pricey but very much worth it to avoid injury.

#4 ·
I second the landmarks idea. I started by jogging/walking down to the local elementary school and back (less than a mile total). Then once I could do it without walking, I gradually increased distance, then added in some hills. I started running in June and yesterday I actually ran in a 5K race-- no stopping and averaged under a 12-min mile, which for me is great!

Reactions: Katie T
#6 ·
Last October, I gave running a go after a 4 year break and just started by running as slowly and as far as I could. I would remember where I left off from the last time and see if I could beat that distance the next time. The first time, I barely got half a mile and had to walk back. By the end of the week one, I could run a mile and a half. And 3 weeks later, I was running 5K distances regularly as well as lifting weights to keep up the strength in my muscles after strenuous runs. Best advice, just do it and do it as best as you can. My determination to beat my best from last time is what kept me going. After I reached the ability to run 3 miles, I tried to cut down my time. I went from 40 minute 5K's to 32 minute 5K's in a 6 week period. Then, I dropped 15 lbs and got preggo. lol

#7 ·
I start by walking, then speed walking and then I run. I listen to music, I don't go by miles I go by time. I give myself an amount of time to run in. Like 15 minutes or 30. Sometimes I don't want to stop at those times and I'll just continue on. I used to be extremely addicted to running and now I do it just for strength.

#8 ·
I hated the C25K. I tried it for a while both on the treadmill and outside. Hated it. Instead I went to MapMyRun and found a great route, then I found some great music for my iPod and run went for it. Turns out I am running 8K three times a week. After the third week I found I could run it faster and I didn't feel as tired at the end. Slower paced songs made me go slower and faster ones picked up my pace. It has gotten comfortable to do and I feel antsy if I may have to delay my running day as I just love that time so much. It is a really pretty route, lots of trees, past two lakes. And the music really helps. I find that it feels relaxing and rejuvenating instead of like a chore. The C25K totally felt like a chore or obligation and I dreaded it.

#9 ·
I started with c25k and just ran a half-marathon a few months ago. The progression goes very very quickly. I thought I would never be a runner but honestly, I realized quickly that I loved the solitude of just my ipod and hte trail in front of me. I love to run early early in the morning when the sun is coming up and it's cool out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.