how to cut out refined carbs and sugars... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really like to cut out refined carbs and sugars because I've heard so much about it, but I really haven't a clue how to do it. I'm not even sure what refined means.

Any good sources on the web to read about it all? I'm 5'1" and I'd like to weigh 115 or so, I've maintained that weight before. At the moment, I'm pushing 180 - granted I am 9 mos pregnant, but I don't expect to have a 65 lb baby lol

I plan on breastfeeding (and I know bf'ing will contribute to weight loss), so the diet route won't work. I just want to change to healthier eating habits and excercise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Refined carbs are white flour, white rice, etc. and anything made with them - basically most processed food (cookies, crackers, cereals, etc.) Processed food is also usually very high in refined sugar and salt too.

So I guess you can see where I'm leading - cut out the processed food. Eat whole grains, beans and legumes, whole wheat breads, bake your own treats with whole grain flours and unrefined sugar like maple syrup, agave nectar, honey, blackstrap molasses, stevia etc. You might want to get a whole foods cookbook like Laurels Kitchen, Rodales Basic Natural Foods Cookbook, Nourishing Traditions, or Cooking the Whole Foods Way.

As for web sites - I know www.westonaprice.org has a lot of stuff (they are the ones who put on nourishing traditions) and also Rebecca Woods has one . . . www.benourished.com (had to go look it up).

I have a lot of recipes if you want some to get started and as chance would have it, most of the ones I am working for my next book are for pregnant and lactating women. If you have a particular dish that you like let me know or you can pm me if you want a bunch.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

That would be great, I'll pm you right now
Old 04-09-2004, 08:09 PM

Great - and I forgot to mention before. Here is a recipe for sugar-free raisin bars

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 AM

Cathe`s recipes are great!!! Breastfeeding you MIGHT loose weight, you might not. Eathing healthy is a great goal, good luck. I find that whole wheat
pasta, bread etc.. is wonderful, but it tastes different than soft white stuff. You have to learn to appreciate ww stuff for what it is and not compare to regular pasta or soft white bread. If that makes sense. I found not having refined sugar around really helped, just get rid of it and don`t buy more. Bake all your own snacks and bake or buy ww bread. I would sometimes crave a donut or something, but I made it a rule to try and satisfy the craving in other ways. The GI diet is a good guideline. If I *really* had to have something then I ate it out, so it didn`t come in the house. This also helped with portion control.
Good luck on the lifestlye change. Best wishes for a smooth and easy birthing.
Kathryn
Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KathinJapan
I find that whole wheat
pasta, bread etc.. is wonderful, but it tastes different than soft white stuff. You have to learn to appreciate ww stuff for what it is and not compare to regular pasta or soft white bread. If that makes sense. I found not having refined sugar around really helped, just get rid of it and don`t buy more. Kathryn
So, so true! I grew up on whole wheat bread, so that's not hard for me, but without regular PASTA I wanted to cry. I tried the WW pasta available in the grocery store and hated it. Yuck! Then someone here mentioned the Bionaturae brand. They sell a line of organic, whole-wheat pastas that are imported from Italy. I buy the stuff at the Dekalb Farmer's Market here in Atlanta (more like an International grocery store than a farmer's market), but it's also sold at Whole Foods). It is SO incredibly good! I've raved about it on MDC before. It's twice as expensive as regular pasta but well worth it. DH can even handle it in certain dishes and he refuses to touch anything resembling whole wheat normally.

And like Kathryn, I had to get rid of the refined sugar in the house. I just can't have it or things made with it around. I can handle DH having his Wonder Bread (:Puke), because it tempts me not at all, but if he has some other treats I ask him to hide them somewhere.

Anyway, best of luck!

Susan
Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM

Achleios72 - What is the brand name of that pasta?

Old 04-14-2004, 02:03 PM

Hi Cathe
It's Bionaturae and I'm looking at a package now. There's a website: http://www.bionaturae.com

Susan
Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM

Thanks I'll see if my local health food store will order it in.

User Tag List