Running Away ~ October Dingos - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 383 Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to the world, baby AJ!!!!luxlove.gif

Awesome race, Gaye!!!  I wish lack of training was as good for me!

Worked 8.5+ hours this evening, home by midnight.  Scarfing down some leftover sushi from my birthday dinner, and back to work tomorrow at 9!nut.gif

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#122 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Welcome, baby AJ! babyboy.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#123 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 AM

I weighed in today, down 12 pounds since May. thumb.gif If I can stick with it, I'll be approaching "normal" (at least weight-wise nut.gif) by year's end. I'm definitely wearing my clothes better.

bec, your schedule sounds brutal these days. I hope you get some good down time soon.

Oh, yeah, I also ran today. The usual 5km loop, and it was after 8:30 when I went out so it was too warm and sunny, but energy was pretty good.

And now I am suddenly feeling out of my depth as a mom. Just made Arabic flash cards for the kids to study their letter forms, ds did a science experiment in the kitchen, and dd is working with the flashcards. I am so not qualified to be any sort of full-time teacher or childcare provider. That is all.

#124 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 AM
bec

Jo - There is a reason my kids go to school!  I love the idea of homeschool, but just don't have what it takes!  I like going with them and telling them weird, cool facts and showing them nature and stuff.  It makes me perfect to be a scout leader!  I deal with the little lovelies for a couple hours a month, and then send them on their way!

My schedule is likely to stay in the somewhat weird and brutal side of things through the holidays, and then will dwindle to 4-8 hours a week is my guess.  Well, here's to making money for the holidays, in any case!

#125 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 AM

Welcome to the world AJ!  Congratulations Jennie!  I saw the pictures on FB first thing this morning, what a nice way to begin the day!

luxlove.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#126 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

RR ~ awesome pilates class orngbiggrin.gif.  I like pilates SO much better than yoga bag.gif.

Jo ~ congrats on the 12 pounds!

JenLove ~ adorable pictures!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#127 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Congratulations JenLove!! What a beautiful baby your son is. luxlove.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#128 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Jenlove, AJ is just gorgeous! Congrats to you and your family. Can't wait to hear about the birth. blowkiss.gif

Lisa, the job sounds very attractive. Is it outside the realms of possible that you could consider a move closer should you get the job? And nice running.

Jo, what an amazing job offer. And congrats on the weight loss.

AM: just a quick hello, and a report that there has been zero running or biking, despite plans. I am just so sick. I can barely drink or eat and I'm only 6 weeks pregnant today. Vomiting has also started and I am feeling very, very worried (if this pregnancy sticks) that I am going to have another round of HG. It's so debilitating and I have no idea how I'll manage this time around with DS. The usual tricks don't work... eating actually makes me feel worse, I have strong aversions to things like ginger (left over from my pregnancy with DS). I'm almost having a ptsd response to the vomiting and continual nausea. Of course I'm also very relieved to be having symptoms but another 8 months of this is making me feel very worried.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#129 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congrats Jennie!

Zub, ugh, I hear you on ginger flavored things, and feeling of panic just seeing it.  I couldn't even look at ginger in the grocery store for a few years. If I were to do it again (and I don't plan to....) I'd be front and center at the doc's asking for drugs.  They can really bring you back from the brink.  BUT, what good news that your body seems to be in full on sticky mode, as horrible as it can be.  

Jo, congrats on the job.  Best wishes for making it all work, and 12 pounds down to boot!  Quite an accomplishment when dealing with the throws of culture shock.

Half marathon for me next week, so the running plan is for a few 3 milers this week and that's it.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself.  Oh, yeah, make a cuttlefish costume.

#130 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM

JenLove--Congratulations!  I'm so happy for your family, and I hope the transition to a family of four goes smoothly for you.

Zub--I'm sorry you're feeling so sick!  I didn't realize you had HG before.  My sister-in-law had that and I was completely wrung out just watching her.  I hope that you won't be suffering your entire pregnancy.  I second the suggestion to go for the drugs right away.  Whatever my SIL was taking--something starting with a Z, I think--made her much more functional.  She still had a really rough pregnancy, but the drugs were essential.  I hope the sickness now means you have a strong fighter of a baby, but I also hope he or she will simmer down soon and stop making you sick.

Jo--Yay on your weight loss!  Yay on the job offer!  Yay for running!  Oh, and there's no way I could homeschool, either, even though I used to be a teacher.  My kids and I would all hate each other's guts if I tried to be their primary source of all information.  We just don't have the right personality combination to make that work.

Real--My DS, who is five, is a screamer.  It's like you describe, with the hair blown back from the force of sound and rage.  He is volatile and doesn't have that split-second pause between thinking of something and doing it, even when I am talking to him calmly about what will happen if he screams/ hits me/ throws something.  He just can't seem to stop himself, and then gets even madder when he has consequences for what he's just done.  I don't know how to fix it, and I keep hoping he'll grow out of it.

This weekend continued to be beautiful, and the kids had no school for Columbus Day today.  We met up with some old friends at the park and let the kids play and snack for a few hours.  The kids and I all came home with headaches; it seems we're not accustomed to the blazing sun anymore.

Despite the lovely weather, I've not run at all this weekend.  I'm hoping to run a couple of times this week and then we'll see how the half marathon goes on Sunday.  On Saturday I need to orchestrate two soccer games, a Nutcracker rehearsal, a birthday party dropoff and pickup, and the arrival of my parents (which requires a clean house).  Plus I have to find the time somewhere in there to drive forty minutes or so to pick up my race stuff.  I've never done a race this size, so I have no idea even what to expect.  I'm getting really nervous, especially since my dad is running with me.  Before, I figured I'd just get out there and blow it off if I felt like it.  I have nothing to prove to anyone and if I needed to walk half of it or drop out altogether, I was okay with that.  Now, though, I have a little bit of pressure.  I'm not going to ditch the race if I'm running with my dad.  I might even try to keep up a decent pace.  I love that my dad wants to do this with me, and all my life he's been all about the father-daughter bonding thing, which means we're very close.  However, having him as my running buddy for this race kind of limits my options for wimping out if I feel like it.

Maybe I'm not as serious a runner as I should be.  duck.gif

#131 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Good luck to the half marathoners! La4, it's really nice that you and your dad are running together!

Thanks for the nausea/vomiting misery. I was on zofran throughout my pregnancy with DS, even though I was still sick every single day. It really helped. I felt so wretched today, and non-functioning, that I called my Dr's office. My Dr was out but another Dr. there suggested that I begin zofran and B6 immediately to try and control the symptoms. I feel somewhat relieved, though I'd rather not be taking any meds whatsoever, I suppose it is better than dehydration and whatnot.

#132 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Congrats Jen and welcome baby AJ!!!

Awesome half, Gaye!

Speaking of running and birthing, how about running a marathon and giving birth within 24 hours? http://news.yahoo.com/photos/woman-run-marathon-gives-birth-1318280150-slideshow/amber-******-westchester-ill-gestures-during-news-conference-photo-183615488.html

We're on our way home from our trip. Stopped by to visit a friend before catching the ferry. I've run three days in a row- vacation has been good to me! More later when I can post from computer instead of phone. Thinking of all the dingoes!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#133 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Holy moly. That's nuts. (Woman running Chicago 39+ weeks pregnant). bigeyes.gif

Jo, you go mama! Awesome on the weight loss if that's your bliss right now. It feels so good to make progress, whatever the goal, right?

I feel totally crazed today. My mom left this morning (I love her. but she drives. me. nuts.). Dd1's birthday party was yesterday, after an 18 mile run in the morning, then shopping for said party, and trying to help dh gather the right supplies to put up our sukkah (our holiday of Sukkot -- frequently known as the Feast of Tabernacles -- starts this Wed. evening). He decided to do one from scratch, with pvc piping, blue tarp, etc. It has not gone exactly as planned (who'da thunk it? eyesroll.gif ). However it is now up. Precariously, but up. we still have to get the branches for the top, and decorate it...in time for it to pour rain on the holiday I'm sure.

And, in taking this job, I also have to prepare from scratch for a class I've never taught before and am only marginally qualified for. Let's just say this one isn't my strong suit...but they are desperate and I'm around. So, whatever. But it requires digging into my long-dormant textual Biblical Hebrew skills in a major way. Hmmm. Should be interesting.

Taper madness starts this week...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#134 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Zub--BTDT and it stinks. I ended up in the hospital for rehydration just before I hit the 5 week mark. Good call on the zofran. I was on it during J's pregnancy and it didn't stop me from throwing up multiple times every single day until she came out, but it's better than the other option. I also did B6 last time, along with unisom too. And acupunture. I do have the PTSD stuff going on now every time one of the kids has a stomach bug. I was ok after R's pregnancy, but a second 8-month series of HG did me in. Hang in there.

On moving: just not going to happen. DH's (hopefully) soon-to-be-tenured job is at a college located southeast of our house; this one is north. Moving would only make his 45-minute drive longer, not to mention that I don't want to live in any of those areas. I love our house and location, and we don't want to move R from her school, especially because it would only cut 10-15 minutes from the commute. My commute downtown (via public transportation) takes an hour or longer, and that was true of my commute to Boulder too. The main difference is that this will be straight driving, so there's not a way to shorten it (I can, if the traffic gods smile, make it downtown in 30 minutes). I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do get around to putting in a rail line between Denver and Fort Collins. Enough people commute from Fort Collins to Denver that it would be useful.

MelW--that woman is nuts. Also, i realize I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the number of women who are getting publicity for doing really long races while pregnant or within 8 weeks of having a baby. I'm not saying it's dangerous or that they shouldn't, but it feels like the running equivalent of showing pictures of actresses and models who look awesome and are back to pre-pregnancy weight just after giving birth. It's not realistic for most women and it's frustrating to see those held up as quasi-ideals.

1jooj--yay for the weight loss. joy.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#135 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM

By the way, Sparkle, I want to thank you for your words on my ... struggles lately. You really hit the mark, I think. Have I mentioned I love you mamas? Oh yeah, I think I have. grouphug.gif

Zub, ugh on the nausea and vomiting. That's awful. I also ended up on Zofran for a while. And I have a permanent nausea-induced pavlovian reaction to Barney. When I was expecting dd2 (who was part of a set of twins; the other twin passed later in the pregnancy but my nausea was so intense) I would lay on the couch and let dd1 watch Barney bag.gif while I was sick to my stomach. Now whenever I hear that song or see that dinosaur I get that sick feeling. It's so weird. 

Anyway.

I wish I could eat the chocolate cake I made for dd1's birthday. It looks so good. Must. Stay. Away.

#136 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I would lay on the couch and let dd1 watch Barney bag.gif while I was sick to my stomach. Now whenever I hear that song or see that dinosaur I get that sick feeling. It's so weird. 

It might have everything to do with the character and the plot (or lack thereof) and nothing whatsoever to do with the pregnancy issues.

wave to everyone else. I'm needing to write a test.

Nickarolaberry likes this.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#137 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
bec

Can I just say, that just hearing and listening into the conversations here give me so much strength.  Nothing really going on (maybe some birthday blahs, but not really much), just needing to hear the conversation of amazing, strong, smart women! 

RR: Spin class tonight.  It was fine.  Not super intense, but not super easy, either.  Considering I had 6 hours of sleep last night, and 12 hours of work in the last couple of days, not to mention only a couple days after the half, I think that's accomplishment enough.  Could have gone without the scolding about the races I have coming up from my tri teacher.  Way to be supportive, lady.rolleyes.gif 

Work has been good, though.  I really enjoyed helping a teen today find the perfect hairpiece to compliment her slinky homecoming dress with outrageous shoes!  That was fun!

#138 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Yup, checking in for strength.  I'm heading off-island in the dark tomorrow morning for my never-say-never appointment.  I'm ready to move beyond this short chapter.  I'm a little worried that something's up with my appt.  I got a call asking me to call back for important info but didn't hear it until too late.  I'm hoping it was just the standard trying-to-be-cautious-about messages and that they haven't rescheduled me. 

I really need to go back and find that essay, I could use a laugh about now.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#139 of 383 Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 PM

hug2.gif Go back and find the essay, and then in a couple weeks we'll all read it again and laugh some more. I'm sure it was one of those redundant instructional pre-appointment calls. And you will be all right. hug2.gifCan't send you enough hugs, though. And I want you to know that I still carry with you the little coin you gave me in SFO. I think of you so often.

I fought off the resistance this morning and ran. Almost got hit by an SUV, which probably should feel like par for the course, but not when you're staring up at the grille of a Nissan Armada and all you can do is put a hand out, traffic-cop style and yell "whoa" at windows too tinted to make eye contact with the (local) driver (because non-locals aren't allowed to tint as dark). That little adrenaline was good for a little speed, but I did peter out early. Came home and did my 100 squats and 100 crunches and yoga stretches, and feel less weepy for it. My sister said something about squats helping the body to produce more testosterone, which helps build muscle (among other things winky.gif)...and I wonder whether a little more testosterone can help one not be as always-needing-to-cry as I have been. We'll see.

I think I am going to sort of radically attack my life. If this job does work out (waiting to hear back from their legal), I will need to sort of organize and regiment myself in ways I guess I haven't for a while. It's not a bad thing to do, and last time my life was somewhat organized, I was in a good place. But I'm going to have to become a list-maker. And on that note, I have 4 major things to achieve today, and I have 5 hours left to do them.

#140 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 AM

hug2.gifPlady

#141 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM

Plady, thinking of you. hug2.gifblowkiss.gif

#142 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Plady grouphug.gif ~ let the Dingos hold you and give you strength today.

#143 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 AM

Plady~hug.gifgrouphug.gif Thinking of you.

I am exhausted, after getting up at 5 for the race Sunday morning, only getting a very short nap before clinical Sunday night, and then having to go to my simulation for class right after clinical yesterday morning. I only got about 3 hours sleep yesterday afternoon. I needed to put together my teaching project for clinical (I'm going to teach the junior students about gavage feeding), but was way too tired to do it last night, so instead I went to bed right after putting DS to bed at 7:30 and got up at 4 to work on it. It's by far not my finest work, but I should hopefully be able to learn 'em something without looking too stupid. redface.gif It *is* graded, but given how my scholar has graded my two reflection papers thus far, I'm not too concerned.

I had my final eval for clinical yesterday morning, as well. I seriously had my ego built up. They like me. redface.gif In fact, my scholar said she has already put in a word to the manager for the unit that they should hire me! The problem is that they won't even consider me until after I've passed my boards, so I still need to be pursuing other possibilities, since if they don't have a position open when I become an RN, they can't hire me, ya know? Still, it was good to know. And I'm going to have a sit-down with my scholar today to discuss job stuff and get her opinion.

Today is my day shift with a charge nurse. It should be fairly low-key (I hope), with the exception of my teaching project. Did I mention that I'm tired?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#144 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Plady, I'm thinking of you today.  hug2.gif  I hope everything will go well and you'll be able to move on with your life no worse for the wear.  You've made a thoughtful decision and I think it's the right one.  Whatever you're feeling afterward, though, remember we're here and ready to listen.

Jo--Scary about almost being hit by a car!  I'm glad the guy stopped, but that's still a nervewracking experience.

Off to the school bus.  Maybe running today?  We'll see.

#145 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 AM
bec

Plady - I'm holding you in my thoughts today.  Wishing you nothing but peace, healing, love and light, mama.grouphug.gif

Jo - Whoa!!!  Scary!! 

#146 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Jo, I must have been channeling you this morning on my run because I also almost got hit by an SUV -- make that SOB. irked.gif In any case, an easy, slow 5 miles today. My body just had no 'fast' in it at all. I was fine if I plugged away slowly but when I tried to pick up the pace, no dice. Beautiful purple sunrise though.

Gaye, I'm so NOT surprised they love you! Anyone in any field who has a good work ethic, is thoughtful, intelligent, considerate, knows the job, and cares about her colleagues/customers (patients) is a gem...and such people are not easy to find, I'm afraid. They'd be ridiculous not to hire you and they know it.

#147 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Plady, hug.gif and strength.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#148 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Anyone heard from Penelope lately (that's her username)? I am wondering if she's ok.

#149 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Sending love and energy your way today, Plady!!!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#150 of 383 Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Anyone heard from Penelope lately (that's her username)? I am wondering if she's ok.

I was just thinking about her yesterday and wondering where she was.  Anyone know????

Gaye ~ I have no doubt that you will land an awesome job once you've passed your boards!  They love you with good reason.

Jo ~ yikes on the near miss with the SUV.  You too, Nic.  Some drivers.... sheesh.

zub ~ get on the Zofran asap.  I have HG, but only for about the first 16 weeks.  I can't imagine enduring that for the entirety of the pregnancy.  How's your house coming along?

RR ~ walking with my friend this morning.  We need to catch up since we haven't walked together in a couple of weeks.  I'm taking it pretty easy today anyway since my hip is really bothering me again.  I've got a chiro appointment at 10:30.  I think I'm funding my chiro's kid's college account as offent as I see him irked.gif.

NRR ~ crazy day today with volunteering in DD2's classroom, piano lessons for the two big kids and a PTO meeting tonight.  DH and I were talking and we're both a little concerned about the kids' eating habits.  They eat a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of junk (particularly ice cream and Oreos).  DS has a little belly on him.  The girls are both slim, but very muscular.  We have decided to not buy anymore ice cream for the house and to stock up the pantry with healthy snacks rather than crappy junk.  This is a major step for DH since he grew up in a house full of processed junk food, has eaten a bowl of ice cream every single night for as long as I've known him (15 years...), and had never eaten such delicious healthy foods as strawberries, green apples, or asparagus until he met me.  I think DH will have a harder time with this than any of the kids!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page