Dingoes Trot with Turkeys in November - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all.

Ugh, no run today.

Do y'all remember my first day when I said another teacher had basically insulted me and then said, 'well you think you're pretty smart, don't you?'

Apparently it wasn't just me. I am not sure if that is good or bad, but at a faculty meeting today (my first) it was very clear that this teacher isn't overly fond of students. I could not believe the negativity that came out of her mouth. Now, I understand frustration with students and their antics, etc. and have been known to utter a sarcastic comment here and there. However I hope and pray that I *never* sound like this -- like she just can't stand them. It really bothered me. I mean, every issue she was bringing up was to me a huge red flag about something else going on -- learning issue, home issue, something. And to her it was all about how ridiculous the student was. Ugh. I wanted to cry and also hide under the desk in embarrassment for her, you know?

Off to get my bean tacos off the stove and cornbread out of the oven.

Oh, and Gaye... can you say BIG APPLE?!!!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#122 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM

RunningMommy~Great job on that amazing PR for the half! Dang you're FAST!

zub~I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you're back to feeling physically well soon, and psychologically as well.

bec~I wanna do a hot chocolate run! Free post-race hot chocolate is almost as good as the free post-half beer that I'll be getting in January!

Mel~That trail run photo is amazing and makes me want to take up trail running!

Nic~I know what you mean about that teacher. I'm working as a teacher's assistant in a Kindergarten classroom, and another one of the assistants in another classroom always seems to be yelling at the kids and just generally doesn't seem to even like the kids all that much. I'm really glad that she's not a teacher because I feel like she has less control over/effect on the kids as just an assistant. But still, it makes me wonder why she doesn't find another line of work.

RR~I'm still easing back into running again after being out of commission for 2 weeks with bronchitis. I blame the afoementioned kindergarteners. I'm also dealing with pain and clicking in my right hip which reared its ugly head before my FIRST RACE EVAR on Oct 2nd. It's just on the right side and seems to be more in the joint than due to muscle tightness/pull/strain. At first I thought maybe it was IT band issues, but my right knee is never bothered by it, just the hip. I really need to get to the Doctor about it, but I'm currently uninsured and can't afford x-rays or an MRI or anything. I'm planning to go for a 3 or 4 mile run later, so we'll see how that feels. I have the Brentwood Get Fit Be Fit 10k race this Sunday and while the competitive side of me wants to try beating my previous time of 56:19, the more practical side of me thinks I should take it easy and just run it as if it were just another training run. The half marathon is in 9 weeks and I really don't want to do anything to mess up my training for that.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#123 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

zub - thinking of you. I hope these days of recovery can offer you some gentleness as you begin to heal.

Nic - I am shocked at how many elementary school teachers I know who do not seem to like kids greensad.gif I also know some terrific teachers but the ones like the woman you described are not all that unusual. That makes me so sad and angry.

RR - did a 20 minute walk today and was wiped out at the end. When is the point when you go see a doctor about a cough? I haven't had any fever for the past couple of weeks but I have no energy and my abs are worn out from coughing. When I try to lie down to rest it sounds like cellophane is crinkling inside my chest, even after using my inhalers. My chest hurts a little sometimes but not all the time and I have a really high pain tolerance so that is never a great indicator for me. I would be just as happy to not see the doctor but I don't want to be stupid and not go if it would help somehow.

I did get about 100 skeins of yarn dyed and right now I am getting it all labelled and inventoried. I think most of it will go to a local shop and then I will summon some mental energy to set up an Etsy shop and see if that is worthwhile. I wove myself a scarf with a skein of sock yarn and a friend bought some yarn, knit it into fingerless gloves, and now I think I am going to swap some more yarn to buy them from her upsidedown.gif  I don't have much knitting time right now so it seems like a good trade - wearing my yarn is probably the best advertising I can do.

Here are some of my favourites - 

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

Okay, I am off to bed. More personals tomorrow  grouphug.gif

#124 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM

zub~hug.gif

melw~great pic!

kitteh~Is the pain on the surface over the greater trochanter? If so, it could definitely be IT band related. When the ITB is tight, it can "snap" over the greater trochanter and irritate the bursa sac that sits under it. I had a pretty bad case when I started training for my first half-marathon. Do you have a foam roller? If not, GET ONE. It will be the best $20-ish that you will spend, running-related. Ice and foam roll the crap out of your hip. It will hurt, you may cry, but it works wonders.

Ahem. As alluded to by nic (and seen by many of you already on FB)...

I WON A GUARANTEED ENTRY TO NYC 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

I guess I know where next year's marathon will be! orngbiggrin.gif I'm SO excited! I was planning on entering the lottery, but really had no expectation of getting in, so to win the guaranteed entry is crazy, and awesome! I have no idea how I'm going to work logistics (you know, kiddo, job, all that fun stuff), but I WILL figure it out!!

drjen~Can you put the NYC marathon on the race list for me? Nov. 4, 2012! orngbiggrin.gif

In other, less exciting news...I chaperoned the kindergarten field trip to the Botanic Gardens today. dizzy.gif I am firmly of the opinion that kindergarten teachers are saints. And I only had three kids in my group, one of whom was my own! I was completely exhausted after two hours, including lunch. I was going to go for a run when I got home, before picking DS up from school, but I was so wiped out that I took a nap instead. bag.gif I didn't run yesterday after working Monday night, and I didn't run Monday because of clinical. I guess I'm calling this a taper for this weekend's race. rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#125 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

shanti~I would definitely get to the doctor! I waited nearly six weeks with a cough and general tired feeling two years ago, only to find out that I had bronchitis the whole time. And I ended up with exercise-induced asthma as a result, which I still wonder if I would have avoided had I gotten to the doctor earlier. If it's gone on this long, it's most likely bacterial (or started out as viral and is now bacterial) and some antibiotics will do the trick.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#126 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
bec

Kitteh - What about going to a chiropracter?  They will often be cheaper and more effective than a doctor.  While some like to have x-rays, it could be that you just need an adjustment.

Speaking of which, I got to my chiro this morning.  Knees, ankles, hips, wrists and elbows are all now where they are supposed to be! 

RR: No running, but did legs strength at the gym this afternoon!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#127 of 383 Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Gaye, congratulations! That is great, and fantastic, and exciting! I'm looking forward to the vicarious thrill of witnessing your training, planning and rocking of the race! thumb.gif

Shanti, I agree. If you can get to a doc, you should. The crackle alone means something's going on, and better now than when a fever develops and you end up hospitalized or something. Your yarn is lovely. I especially like the blues. And why not make the trades and wear your yarn? Absolutely--I would!

Nic, on the teacher...sigh. I think I was really lucky to have very few teachers who hated students, and my hometown class in school had a way of rooting them out, to the point that we "retired" a lot of teachers. At the time, we developed a reputation for being hard on teachers. But in the light of a different perspective, I think we were a bunch of kids who wanted to engage and be all in or nothing, and teachers either delivered to that or couldn't hack us. Probably better for the system that we sort of swept through. She sounds like she's hanging on for dear paycheck, and that's never a good place to be.

kitteh, I have a snapping hip. I know I have IT band issues, but I also have pretty bad low back problems. I think a chiro could be a help to you, if the cash is there for the visit. Also, Gaye knows of what she speaks re: foam roller. Cheapest intervention available right now.

Zub, more hugs, mama. I'm sorry they had to mess up your neck/throat in the process. And I hope you have many friends bearing hot cups of tea and warm hugs and strong shoulders.

I am trying not to be discouraged. The communication gap has widened with the clock change, making it harder for me to catch people on the other side before I go to bed at night. I would stay up later, but then I can't get up to get the kids on the bus. So I wake up to emails I need to attend to, knowing they won't be seen until late at night here again. It's a frustration, but I have to be patient and trust in time and process. It is going to be OK. Have I mentioned my awesome sister? She sent me a note from work, and it is just so good to know she really understands where my head is, and doesn't judge, just stands by ready to help in any way she can. I miss her TONS. She lives less than 5mi from where we lived back home, and we each have a kid in the same year in school (different schools though). Anyway, if the offer is rejected, that just gives us a new opportunity to offer, and as I may have mentioned, there have been lookers, but I don't think they have even had a second showing. Each passing month allows us to save more cash (lower the loan) and potentially offer a lower price. Looking at the market and the big picture, their taking the offer would be a win-win. Gets them out of the maintenance bills, tax bill, damage risks, and most of all the possibility of sitting on the property until the economy turns around. I hope this makes the same sense to them.

Blah. I am wearing my running clothes and will go out at least walking. Used my inhaler but need to get all this coffee through me before I go anywhere. Back is in a lot of pain, but I think it is a lack of working out over the past week combined with doing floors last night. Should straighten out with a little movement.

Love to you, Dingoes. 

#128 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Serial posting to add 8.5km. It was hard. I left later than I should have but I'm just so tired. Anyway, walked to the park, ran a lap, then 2/3 the second lap before turning and running the 2/3 lap back to get the distance I wanted. Knees are still very creaky from the day spent on heels/blanket sitting, left hip was protesting and right groin began to whisper, so that was that. Came home and stretched it all out really well and did some of my core work (planks are getting strong! hooray!) before showering. I'm all out of any pain relievers/anti-inflammatories, so I should really stop at the pharmacy. I'm feeling quite old-lady. I'm nearly halfway to my weight goal (um...again), but another ten pounds before the running really starts feeling easy again. Progress is progress, and I'll take it. At least the weather is finally working with me.

Now dh and I are going to go pay for our plane tickets. banana.gif(Banana is not for the "pay" part, but for the "plane" part.)

#129 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 AM

Yay, the kids have a day off today!  We're headed to the City Museum with friends this morning.  Should be a blast!

Jooj ~ joy.gif for running!  And tickets!  And weight loss!!!!

Zub ~ grouphug.gif I had two back to back miscarriages after DS.  Then my husband deployed for 4 months to Kuwait and when he returned I got pregnant right away (go figure winky.gif).  Sometimes the body just needs to rest for a few cycles after miscarrying, no matter how much we don't want to wait.  I'm thinking of you and hoping the sick feeling dissipates quickly.

Shanti ~ yes, get checked out.  You've been sick far too long.  Gorgeous, gorgeous yarn pics!

Gaye ~ joy.gif for NYC Marathon!!!!

Nic ~ that teacher sounds like a real piece of work eyesroll.gif. Why do people who don't like kids go into education anyway????  Our district librarian is like that. 

RR ~ Pilates and a short run yesterday.  Today I'm putting my bike on the trainer so I can ride in the basement on days I can't get a run in.

NRR ~ Parent-Teacher conferences yesterday.  All three kids are doing great.  Apparently, my meeting with DS's teacher back in September WAS fruitful!  He started pretesting all the math chapters, and the kids who already have mastery of the subject beforehand, are grouped together and given more advanced work on that subject.  DS had mastery of division at the start of that unit along with a couple of other kids, so they got much more difficult division problems (long division, remainders, etc.)  I'm happy he's getting more of a challenge (although I'm still not sure it's "enough", since he's getting 100s on those tests too...)

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#130 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Bleh

I'm feeling like a slacker Dingo (I wrote Dongo. Nuff said). I'm in the icky place where if I dont study I feel anxious and like I'm not doing what I should, but studying all the time is not making for a happy SparkleT.... especially when I am now on the math section, and omfg did I feel dumb last night [at class]. Thankfully, 3 hours studying this mornong (there I do again lol.gif) has got me to a batter place (yeah, like cake batter eyesroll.gif), but I really have issues with myself for struggling so much with math. I certainly dont respect others less for it, but I do myself (same for everything, sigh)

Meanwhile Im feeling the need for exercise and positive energy coming my way, but cant bring myself to make the time away when I *should* be studying. And the blubber (aka winter layer) continues to marble-ize on the midriff disappointed.gif

Jo - joy.gif On the travel and weight loss!! Hows the novel coming? winky.gif

JG - enjoy your day with the kids. Glad there has been some forward movement with DS.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#131 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Urgh. I am going to be a slacker Dingo also and not run for the second day in a row. It's pouring and I'm waiting for the plumber to show up. Maybe I'll go over to the gym later and just do a few on the mill. Ick.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#132 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

(I wrote Dongo. Nuff said).

biglaugh.gif Dongo. The slacker Dingo.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#133 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Hooray for weight goals and plane tickets, Jo!

kitteh, I hope the hip issue is easily resolved. Be careful this weekend- I vote for go slow and stave off injury.

Gaye jumpers.gif for New York!

nic, sorry about the hates-the-world teacher. I'm glad it's not just you, but feeling so sorry for her students. And I want to come to your house for dinner. Whenever you talk about what you're making, I get hungry. Bean tacos, delicious soups... we are having pasta salad (with rice pasta) again tonight, because it's the easiest meal that I can make ahead and the kids will eat. Almost the only meal that I can say that about. Today I am thankful for canned tuna, and my ability to ignore the warnings about mercury (actually, I've read the analysis of tuna mercury levels, and it's a pretty remote risk).

bec, do you get an elbow adjustment, or is it a side benefit of other adjustments your chiro does?

JayGee, glad the parent-teacher conferences went well. We have a day off school for them later this month, but the teachers are doing work-to-rule job action, so we likely won't have conferences. I think that teachers have agreed to meet parents only if requested, and not outside of usual school hours. We're also not getting report cards until the teachers have a contract again.

Job interview didn't happen yesterday. I had left a voicemail in the morning, and didn't hear back until 1:45 saying that they were available at 1:30, but were busy again. It's re-scheduled for two weeks from now (manager is on vacation next week), so we'll see... The postings for spring courses just came out for the college today, too, so there are a few possibilities coming up. Having two jobs is looking like a good idea, though.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#134 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Mel, bring the kids over for dinner any time! eat.gif  I love having guests.

I am so not a good shopper for myself. Waiting on DrJ's dress and also searching elsewhere just in case...so what do I end up buying? A great pair of LL Bean snowboots for dd2 on EBay. wild.gif

#135 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Another dongo checking in.

I spent the morning at the theatre working out the lighting for the show and when I finally emerged around 1:45 it had turned into a gorgeous perfect beautiful day!

And then my friend reminded me that I had to get back to work to finish a bunch of cues I'd been putting off.

But, finally around 3:45 I finished all that and it was still light so I went out and had a nice long walk (and did a few blocks of skipping which was kind of fun and funny and easy to get used to). 

Now I'm back in the dark to put together some props before rehearsal starts. 

I'm trying to read along but I'm sorry about the 0 personals.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#136 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I would qualify for dongo. Based on my running lately I don't qualify for dingo. I know I like to run, I just cannot make myself get out there.

NIc, I am sure they don't have what you are looking for but I bought a dress at Title 9 this summer and have been very impressed with fit and versatility. It may be the only item I have bought new outside of Costco so take my fashion advice lightly.

I am just posting to check in and say that I am reading along and thinking about you ladies.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#137 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Mommajb, I luxlove.gif Title 9 although I haven't bought much for lack of money. I drool over the catalogue constantly. However I am not sure anything they have would qualify as appropriate for this specific event, though if you ask me I'd way rather spend the money on something from there I can actually, you know, WEAR again. 

Ah, well. 

Dongo, indeed. That would be me today. And yesterday.

I feel like a riddle:

My students think I'm a strange hybrid of an earthy crunch badass (double earring pierce, skull/crossbones totebag, and funky skirts/hair scarves)

My religious friends think I"m an earthy crunchy organic food/nursing/natural stuff hippy.

My hippy friends think I'm an odd religious overly involved in running duck.

My running friends ... well they are the best of the best. happytears.gif

My husband thinks I'm a religious fanatic and a hippy fanatic.

My kids like my macaroni and cheese and do not appreciate my feeble attempts at homemade granola bars.

So...who am I?!

Sigh. One of those days.

#138 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

hug2.gifNic. You're just right, that's all. I dreamed of you last night. Of all the people, you were doing something...developing some sort of community organization thing, here in the UAE. And just before I woke up, I was telling you how awesome I thought it was, and how badly needed it is here, and I'm glad you're doing it, even though I'll be out of here before the benefit ever appears. lol.gif It was weird, but it was extremely comforting to see you and talk with you. So there. blowkiss.gif

All these dongoes...I'm struggling not to fall into those ranks. I just can't afford to for my own well-being. Dh just breakfasted with the kids and sat down in front of the TV. We wanted to go out last night but the kids were tired after school, so I think we might try to head into town this AM and goof off until prayer time. Weather seems such that we could probably hit the beach midday without being too hot. So the beaches will surely be packed, but still. Need to keep the active thing going.

The novel? Notsogood. But it goes on, little by little. It's hard. I get caught up in other, stress-inducing parts of my life and obsess over them instead of working. Sound familiar to anyone? Yeah. Anyway.

MelW, that kind of incompetence is what's pushing me to back out with these people. I mean, I got the offer a long time ago, and not only are they slow, they aren't keeping me updated at all. Latest was they are telling me I might have to be able to provide an attested copy of my degree. Which would mean contacting the registrar and paying them to produce a copy and send it to the UAE embassy in DC, where it would be attested and sent here. Um, considering the other paperwork I'm currently prodding to circle the globe, I don't think so. That said, I am lucky to be in a position where it is truly a choice. It's disappointing to have to deal with this when you are trying to shore up your big picture. I hope all is well for your family.

Plady, when is the show? Will you then get a bit of a break?

Sparkle, marbling ROTFLMAO.gif Nice in a steak, not so good for the abs. Planking over the books?

So, Reb's got her ticket! joy.gif She got a great price out of Chicago, if anyone wants to come along with her. She's coming less than a week after my parents leave, and will be here...well, her full travel itinerary spans 10 days, but it's more like 8 with travel time. February is a great time to leave the dreariness, right? I am trying to get one more friend to visit after Reb and before we leave.

I am also ready, I think, to really investigate home/online schooling. There is an online charter at home I could investigate (is public and would be free), and K12 has an office here. I am thinking that it might be an option to spend more/better time with dh, since I could get the kids and me out of this place for a lot longer than just the worst two months of summer. We could see about doing halves AND having dh spend his month's vacay in the US when we are there. Depending on finances, we could investigate one more trip to meet up somewhere, and I think we could have a livable life and a good education for the kids. As it stands now, academically the school is OK, but socially it's f@ck*d up, and the kids are gone from 6:35A until 3:35P. That's a longer day than dh does.

#139 of 383 Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 PM

I was totally a dongo all week, but pulled myself out of it tonight. A local Irish pub has a run club on Thursday nights. I've always kind of wanted to go, but never actually done it. Tonight was the night, the stars aligned...DS out of town with XH, a friend to go with me, and no clinical/work/school commitments. They have a regular route that goes around the neighborhood and through one of the city parks. You show up, sign in, and then go do your thing, and afterward they have free pasta and salad and drink specials. AND you get a free tech shirt after your 10th run. Pretty cool! It was a lot of fun, nice run, good food (if not a ton of it), a tasty beverage, and some good company!

I was all excited to sleep in this morning...no kiddo, no work, clinical wasn't till 11...so what happened? The dog woke me up at 5 am with an upset stomach. rolleyes.gif Because cleaning up dog poop and puke at 5 am is sooooo much fun.

Clinical was kind of lame. This is not the kind of clinical I like. It looks like we're going to spend most of it sitting in a room with computers, putting together a curriculum to teach the target population different health topics. We'll also get to do some teaching, but for the most part...research and writing. Blech. 5 hours down, 43 more to go...

#140 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ahem.  There are no Dongos.  Only Dingos.  Once a dingo, always a dingo.  Livin' it up in the Hotel California...

We had a great day with DrJen and her lovely daughter  last Sunday.  I will have succeeded as a parent if my kids are half as kind, poised, and interested in the world as Jen's DD. 

I'm feeling really sad about failing my kids educationally.  I know we're so amazingly lucky to be dealing with the problems that we are and nothing more serious, but it seems like it should be easier for them.  This just isn't working.

It was parent teacher conference week here as well.  I'm honestly kind of reeling from the feedback.  DD's teacher has taken a downward spiral in my opinion, pretty much viewing DD as a lazy slob.  It makes me sad.  However, in my 4th year of asking at PTC conferences a variant of the question "would you expect these written communication weaknesses from a child with such verbal strengths?" DD's been referred for an evaluation.  I don't think it's the right one, but finally I'm hearing that reversing letters is not normal.  The teacher didn't know DD couldn't sound out words.  She views DD's handwriting, spelling, lack of capitalization as sloppy and lazy, not that she can't actually produce it.  I still think we're seeing the detrimental effects of her grade 1-2 education and nothing more serious, but we have some serious self esteem to rebuild here alongside teaching handwriting and other conventions of language skills.  <sigh>  DH and I had a long conversation last night about the range of issues, and we both feel that a little praise on her efforts will serve her well.  I'm not sure how to tell the teacher that she needs to praise DD on her efforts to move in the right direction, instead of continuing to criticize for not being in the right place.  Oh great dingo educators, how do you teach a child to automatically capitalize the first letter of a sentence?  Telling her the rule doesn't work.  Asking her to check her work doesn't work.  (No habit of looking over the work is developing, and I have to explicitly tell her to check for capitalization)  Editing exercises don't work.  This is starting to hold her back in math and will prevent her from moving to pre-algebra.  This writing will keep her out of any private school where we might need to transfer to keep her engaged in school:

DD's also spacing out in her classroom a lot now, but never in the gifted room.  She goes into the gifted room skipping and with a smile, and she goes into her classroom "looking disheveled."  "Have you talked to your pediatrician about this?" 

DS has passed out of second grade math with only a slight relative weakness ("end of 2nd" instead of "beyond 2nd") in verbalizing his reasoning.  The solution?  He's being placed in an online grade 2 math program that is totally non-verbal.  banghead.gif  This is totally a "keep him busy" solution, instead of a "teach him something" solution.  I don't want to investigate a "homeschooling during math time" solution, but it's looking like the school doesn't have the expertise or creativity to serve him.  ....and his decoding skills have dropped since starting school.  Decoding and writing being the two things I'd hoped he'd learn this year.  Grrrr.

#141 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Geo, what happens socially in the classroom that might not be going on in the gifted classroom? I'm jumping into an assumption, but are all the kids in the gifted room happy to be there and focused on the work, or are they pulling the same hijinks that go on in the regular classroom? Not that it's the whole problem, but surely there's something stressing her out in the regular classroom. Noise? Jiggly kids? Interruptions? Chaos? I have a close friend with dyslexia, and she still has poor spelling and messy handwriting. But she's extremely literate and it has not kept her from achieving things.

FWIW, my kids are nearly hating going to school these days. Ds will apparently endure anything. A story I have not shared here because of the sheer stupidity of the *whole* thing recently ended with him being shunned by classmates and being told by a guidance counselor to apologize to the other kids as a means to get back into their good graces--not because he did anything wrong to them. hammer.gif It's a long and stupid story in which a teacher makes it a classroom "job" for one student to check other students' snacks for compliance with the no-junk rule...and when a certain student dutifully points out the Cheeto problem, well, you can imagine how it went down. disappointed.gif First off, parents have been clearly advised what not to send to school. Second, if a teacher wants to enforce the policy, it should not be by the hand of a peer. Third, the girl who went off the deep end over her daily Cheeto habit should probably be spoken to. Sigh. And dd feels ill every morning before school and comes home looking defeated--in spite of how well she's doing. The whole social thing is a mess.

Today I began exploring an online charter school at home, to see if they would take my kids, and if we could figure out a way the kids and I could perhaps spend winters here with dh. We could work ahead on school when he travels and take it easier when he's around, and start and finish the year back home. He's harumphing about it, but as I tried to explain to him, he cannot imagine what it's like for us here when he travels...because he's not here. He has no idea what our life is like when he is absent, whether we're here or there. And if I could set up something where we could leave this place as it heats up in April, and then leave WI as the snow starts in November, that might be just about perfect. Obviously all this precludes my working.

Happily, got some fun in at the beach and then a nice walk down in the old city along both sides of the creek, with abra rides in between.

#142 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 AM

The "kids police each other" approach to classroom management is baffling to me.  I never understood the reasoning behind that approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Geo, what happens socially in the classroom that might not be going on in the gifted classroom? I'm jumping into an assumption, but are all the kids in the gifted room happy to be there and focused on the work, or are they pulling the same hijinks that go on in the regular classroom? Not that it's the whole problem, but surely there's something stressing her out in the regular classroom. Noise? Jiggly kids? Interruptions? Chaos? I have a close friend with dyslexia, and she still has poor spelling and messy handwriting. But she's extremely literate and it has not kept her from achieving things.

My gut is the attention issue is a combination of not being that engaged with the material (getting mostly criticism for what she does, not loving her teacher, and boring material that doesn't move fast enough).  In the gifted room, she *loves* her teacher, the material moves at her pace (90% independent study), and criticism from the teacher is sandwiched in praise, making her want to do even better. 

That being said, the gift teacher is as baffled by the spelling and writing as the classroom teacher.  It's a separate issue, but being compounded by the iffy fit between the classroom teacher and the kid.

#143 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

You know, for someone like me (or my dd), it's enough to put the less than perfect grade on the paper/assignment/test. I don't need any further negative comments, as I can obviously take it from there (as can she). But why is it so hard to find and focus on things done well?--and an earnest and true effort falls into that category for me. It can't be so hard to see when a kid is giving her best and at the least commend her for that. Seems like the connection is just not there. Any way it can be cultivated? Does the gifted teacher have any tips on connecting better with the other teacher? Bleh.

My dd seems to love all her non-classroom teachers. She doesn't dislike her classroom teacher, but I think she just has better times with the others. We'll see. I think I will stop in and visit with some of the others at conferences this week. Wednesday afternoon is our big day. Dh has an air show all week, so I am on my own. What's new.

#144 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Oy, Geo an Jo. Hugs. As an educator I am so completely baffled and infuriated by stories like both of yours'. Not that my kids haven't suffered in situations, but thankfully I have been able (thus far) to deal with the issues by making some kind of change (one of which was quite drastic, pulling my dd1 out of a school where bullying was happening and no one was doing anything about it).

Geo, here's what I think: I don't think it's unreasonable in 3rd grade (is that your dd's grade?) not to always remember to capitalize the first letter of a sentence. My dd2 still makes that error. Why is she being penalized for this? They should be doing rough drafts anyway, and then being assisted in making corrections. 

As far as sloppy handwriting, spelling errors, etc...I am thinking dysgraphia or some variation on that theme. She is not processing between her brain and her hands. It does not affect her literacy. But it gets scrambled somewhere on the way out. This is an identifiable LD for which she should be getting accommodations/identified. She may need some OT. It also does not preclude her giftedness; it is very, very common for kids with these issues to be extremely bright and gifted. 

She is suffering in the classroom not only from the actual punitive/critical corrections, but from the culture her teacher is creating in that environment that has a ripple effect on her relationships with her peers. The kids will notice their negative interactions and will respond to it in ways that won't be good for your dd. The teacher is stuck in her own mental rut, frustrated with what she sees as deficiencies and clearly unable to reframe your dd's needs in a way that can be met by an alternative educating approach. That is the teacher's failure, not your dd. I don't really know quite how you should handle it, but it should be made clear in a meeting with the teacher, the gifted teacher, the principal, and any ESE staff all together so that everyone can see the big picture. Why should her ld issues preclude her from admission to any kind of private school? Perhaps an alternative educational approach might serve her better (Montessori or similar?)? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. A culture of criticism and punitive teacher behavior will really impact her negatively in the short and long run with her educators and her peers.

This is my $.02. I think similarly for your ds, they are not taking a good approach to his learning needs at all. You may have to come up with an alternative plan that you want them to implement if they are receptive.

Jo, I'm sorry you're going through that with the kids. Online charter or k12 sounds good. Some variation on a new plan, or something. And aren't you paying good money for this school? For crying out loud, that story is ridiculous and they are not on the ball.

I just can't stand when people are supposed to be educators by profession and are so negative and cavalier about the children they are meant to nurture. It makes me bonkers. 

#145 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Oy, Geo an Jo. Hugs. As an educator I am so completely baffled and infuriated by stories like both of yours'. Not that my kids haven't suffered in situations, but thankfully I have been able (thus far) to deal with the issues by making some kind of change (one of which was quite drastic, pulling my dd1 out of a school where bullying was happening and no one was doing anything about it).

Geo, here's what I think: I don't think it's unreasonable in 3rd grade (is that your dd's grade?) not to always remember to capitalize the first letter of a sentence. My dd2 still makes that error. Why is she being penalized for this? They should be doing rough drafts anyway, and then being assisted in making corrections. 

As far as sloppy handwriting, spelling errors, etc...I am thinking dysgraphia or some variation on that theme. She is not processing between her brain and her hands. It does not affect her literacy. But it gets scrambled somewhere on the way out. This is an identifiable LD for which she should be getting accommodations/identified. She may need some OT. It also does not preclude her giftedness; it is very, very common for kids with these issues to be extremely bright and gifted. 

She is suffering in the classroom not only from the actual punitive/critical corrections, but from the culture her teacher is creating in that environment that has a ripple effect on her relationships with her peers. The kids will notice their negative interactions and will respond to it in ways that won't be good for your dd. The teacher is stuck in her own mental rut, frustrated with what she sees as deficiencies and clearly unable to reframe your dd's needs in a way that can be met by an alternative educating approach. That is the teacher's failure, not your dd. I don't really know quite how you should handle it, but it should be made clear in a meeting with the teacher, the gifted teacher, the principal, and any ESE staff all together so that everyone can see the big picture. Why should her ld issues preclude her from admission to any kind of private school? Perhaps an alternative educational approach might serve her better (Montessori or similar?)? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. A culture of criticism and punitive teacher behavior will really impact her negatively in the short and long run with her educators and her peers.

Lots to chew on.  Thanks.  :love:

DD is in 4th, young for grade but in the right grade (<3 months younger than the next youngest in her class, though she is not grade skipped.)  She fails to capitalize >90% of sentences, and punctuates at about the same rate.  She appears unable to copy a word sitting right in front of her.  When she's assisted to edit, the final version gets about 80% of the errors fixed, but the result is still something that looks pretty sloppy.

Handwriting I think is mostly a result of poor 1st and 2nd grade instruction.  She forms the letters wrong, and when we tackle one at a time, it looks so much better.  It takes about 6 weeks of daily work for it to become automatic.  We've gotten 'f' and 'p' enough fixed that they are much, much better, suddenly improving the readability of her work.  She still turns her 'o' going the wrong direction, so that most of the remaining problems with 'b' and 'd' are things that come right on a day her 'o' goes in the right direction.  I do honestly think if we could retrain that, we'll be at an acceptable handwriting.

Montessori was the style instruction she had for 1st and 2nd.  We're not going back, public or private.  I toured the private, and they informed me that kids with complaints like DD's (at the time it was activity level in the room) were all ADHD kids.  It's a great fit for so many kids, but my kid, and the flavors of Montessori we have available here are not for my kid.

Private schools that can teach DD at her level in reading, science, and math will not take a LD kid.  I'm honestly not convinced she has a LD at the moment (admittedly based just on the fact that she doesn't really fit the descriptions of dysgraphia I find online) and I'd like to have her educated at her level and educated addressing her specific educational and emotional needs before I'll be sure that's it.  Ya know, response to intervention and all that.

The testing she'll take next week will kick yet another "all hands" meeting, so we'll be talking about it there.  I'm still processing anger at the teacher (she also complained that DD picks books to read that are too easy, but her sign on the wall for "just right" books defines a ceiling -- not too hard -- and not a floor.  DD was following the rules).

I actually think that DS will be a bit easier.  He's so far from grade level, he will continually be getting a close look and close monitoring.  I also know 10000 more now than I did when DD was in kindergarten.  They've got the district 4-12 math specialist looking at him now, who is clearly puzzled.  I will give then through December to find a plan that is mutually agreeable.  He's still content at school, which is big for me.  The decline in reading decoding is troubling, though, as I see it as a piece of his speech and language oddities.

#146 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Ah, got it. I understand.

So there are a couple separate issues:

1) Dd's need for extra help/work on specific handwriting skills.

2) Culture of intolerance/punitive etc. by the teacher in the classroom -- extending to not only what she is doing 'incorrectly' but nitpicking at everything your dd does. That's not cool. You can bet that this negative attention is not going unnoticed by your dd's peers. Boo, hiss on that teacher. She has seriously dropped the ball.

So for the handwriting skills, there are a few good programs out there that help, some of which are based on OT principles. I'm sure you've heard of some of them. We found that the D'Nealian style of writing worked best for my dd and the transition to cursive was way easier, plus it was easier for her to form and recognize both her mistakes and usually reversed letters. YMMV. 

As for the teacher, well...feh. An all hands meeting is just the beginning. I have nothing nice to say so I'm going to stop here.

#147 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Emerging from my retention portfolio production hide in a bunker week. Who decided that the best way to evaluate faculty at a university is through portfolios? blech.

Happy late birthday to Geofizz!!!

I ran twice this week. Yesterday I literally RAN out of the office, to my car to make it to my running group on time. I'm glad I did because I ran 5km in less time that it would take me to do it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Yes. And I'll add that the definition of an LD is when the learning is out of place with the IQ.

Quote:
She is suffering in the classroom not only from the actual punitive/critical corrections, but from the culture her teacher is creating in that environment that has a ripple effect on her relationships with her peers. The kids will notice their negative interactions and will respond to it in ways that won't be good for your dd.

Yes. This.

And for a kid who likes to live in her own head it might just make it even harder to fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post She appears unable to copy a word sitting right in front of her. 

This screams undiagnosed LD to me.  Which gives me hope that someone's worked out a strategy. What's the ed dept/psych dept. like on Big State U's campus? Can you call someone over there to help you navigate all this? Even if you pay out of pocket for evals and stuff. 

We meet with teachers next week, but I can see dd1's report card electronically. It reads (all 6 lines of it) just like I would expect it to. :)

And now. off for an afternoon of ?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#148 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Yes. And I'll add that the definition of an LD is when the learning is out of place with the IQ.

Not according to this state's department of education's interpretation of IDEA.  I've been down that road -- 5 standard deviations spread in performance does not qualify for services if the lowest score is still within 1 sigma of average.

Thanks for the venting and thinking space.

RR:  My RP announced were doing Turkey Trot 5 miler in 45 minutes.  Speed work last night left me gasping.  Slower run tonight.

#149 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Not according to this state's department of education's interpretation of IDEA.  I've been down that road -- 5 standard deviations spread in performance does not qualify for services if the lowest score is still within 1 sigma of average.

BUT ... take the numbers out of the picture. If this is a recognized LD in most instances, then maybe through diagnosis there's some studies on how to overcome/cope with it. So say you do push evaluation. They come back and say "nope. can't service her because she doesn't meet the number."  You can find someone who CAN. It means you'll have to pay for it, but then your kid makes progress. Not that any of us want for our kid to have more to do after school. I have a friend who has a college sophomore with a new diagnosis of ADHD. He's bright enough that he made it through high school with no one recognizing it, but did HORRIBLY in his first year in college. Now he's learning new coping mechanisms and doing MUCH MUCH better and feeling more successful. (Don't work in a study lounge or coffee shop if you're stimulated by hearing things. Simple solution for him -- find the top of the library tower). In K's case it might be more, but it might not be.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#150 of 383 Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Geo - oh, that makes me so sad about the criticism issue.  As a doc, I can't tell you how many times I see these defeated, sad kids in the office - they can't get any positive feedback and they just give up.  Why should she try to do better for this teacher if the teacher doesn't help her feel good about it?  Can your ped, or the school guidance counselor, or even an independent psych consult (not that I think dd in any way needs psych, just as someone who could be an advocate) document that she responds better to praise and positive re-inforcement?  I know you personally focus on positive reinforcement - can you think of a positive system for some of the writing difficulties?  Can she treat capitalization like a word search puzzle - circling and tallying every capital letter or something?  Will the gifted teacher make some recommendations about what she does that engages dd?  Ugh. 

Shantimama - please go to the doctor and get tested for pertussis!  In adults, it causes prolonged cough - sometimes so much cough that you can break a rib.  Or, as tjsmama says, maybe you need treatment for asthma exacerbation.  Anyway - this is too long to feel bad.

Running group end of season banquet tonight!  Looking forward to hanging with my real life running peeps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page