Dingoes Trot with Turkeys in November - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 383 Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Because where I am, it's already November!

Do we need a thread intro for anyone new who wishes to join in? If so...

For mamas who run, walk, jog, wog, traipse, hop, skip, jump, or aspire to do any of those things, we are the Dingoes. Join us here for inspiration, commiseration, support, entertainment and community. Share your training challenges, your race reports, and discuss anything and everything--just like having a super-supportive IRL running group!

We also like to discuss biking, swimming, climbing, team sports and the million other things that come up, some of which we do to run better, some of which we do when we can't run, and some of which we just do.

All are welcome!

It is commonly known that Dingoes are a blahblah.gif bunch, but don't be intimidated. We love new members and cherish (ahem) the old ones, too.

Me? All suited up and about to head out for a run around the park. Humidity's a little high this morning. Kids have a half day of school and pressure's on for me to bring the fun this afternoon. I still don't know what that's going to mean. But I plan to get in a good 3 hours of writing before then.

#2 of 383 Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 PM

jog.gif

Happy November, all! Here's hoping November is more productive than October has been for me. bag.gif

Yeah, cover letter and resume still not done. bag.gifbag.gif Seriously, WHAT is my problem?! I have 47 days till graduation. The application for the new grad program opened yesterday. Just get your freaking act together and DO stuff! Sigh. I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 9. Tonight, um, well...trick or treating happened. I invited us over to DS's kindergarten bff's house (bag.gif, some more) for ToT since we live in condos and don't really have organized ToT in our neighborhood. We've always gone down to the burbs, but now that DS is making neighborhood friends, I'd like to start hanging out here more. It was great. DS had a blast with two of his buddies, and I had a lot of fun with the parents! Of course, DS was up WAY past bedtime, on a school night. Tomorrow morning is NOT going to be fun. My child's candy haul was more than a little ridiculous. Sheesh.

rr~I took DS out for a run in the stroller this morning, for the first time in months! I was doing ok, until I totally hit the wall about a mile and a half in. Yikes. Forgot how hard the whole stroller pushing thing was! 4 miles, at a not-horrible pace.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#3 of 383 Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 PM

Gaye, that is a lot of bag.gif You have a TON of stuff on your plate. (But here's the pep talk- just get the resume and CL done- they don't have to be perfect, since they're going to interview you based on your student nurse job and practicum experiences. And hospital HR departments are notoriously sloooow, so get it in while you have time for the application to linger on someone's desk)

real, I know the running away feeling all-too-well

sparkle, your impressive work on the applications is giving my hives about mine. I have promised myself to get busy on them in two weeks. Luckily I don't have to do the GRE, just need to get this stats class done this term. I have some tentative references, but so much to do for applications essays and intents, etc. etc.

Jo, thanks for the November thread. I really admire how you're looking at balancing all of your family's needs while you make your decisions.

It's almost November here (two hours to go still on the west coast!). Hallowe'en was nice- lots of kids in the neighbourhood, and my little bumblebee and bigger jellyfish-princess-bride were both pretty cute. Made the weekend crammed with costume sewing feel worthwhile when they were so thrilled with the outfits. I did trick or treating with both for a while, then brought the youngest home while the oldest went out for a bit more with my sister. I then fed my youngest the one thing in her treat bag that didn't contain dairy, wheat or corn (potato chips), only to have her push the bag away partway through and say she didn't like them. Her face was covered in a red rash, and my best guess is that the "vegetable oil" was corn. She felt better after some benadryl and an organic cane sugar lollipop, thankfully.

The rest of the week is insanely busy- more work than I can let myself think about, a stats assignment due on Thursday, and my oldest daughter's birthday tomorrow and party on Saturday. On a positive note, I marked and commented on 300 pages of student assignments over the weekend, so at least that is off my plate!! (yes, I have no social life...)

RR: nothing today except stretching and yoga. This evening this photo of me (I'm the one in front) was posted on yesterday's run facebook page. I'm smiling, but don't look like I'm moving very fast...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 AM
bec

Sparkle - Oh no, mama!!  I hope you heal quickly.  It sounds very painful.

Real - So been there with the wanting to run away!

Halloween - We did a lot of walking the neighborhood, and the kids came back with full pails of candy.  I am talking them into exchanging the candy for Charming Charlie gift cards.  My kids loved their costumes, so they had a good time.  Katie was Candace from Phineas and Ferb (I learned a lot about hair for this one!), Emily was a recycling bin, and Abby a princess (her way of scamming a tiara from CC!).  Oh, and the pup was a flower (we put construction paper petals on his cone.  Mean, maybe, but cute!).

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#5 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Jo ~ Thanks for the new thread.  I hope whatever choice you and your family makes is a good one where everyone feels loved and supported.  How hard!

Gaye ~ Goodness you got a lot going on!  And how to you still push T?!

I hope within the month, I can start working out again soon.  For now babywearing wearing seems to be enough to make my bottom sore still.  I think I will eventually start with the yoga booty ballet easy dvd, squats, and abs but I'll take it day to day and see how it goes.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#6 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Yay!  November!

Gaye ~ get those apps in!  You'll be so thankful you did. And what is this grad program???  I also have no idea how you manage to push T.  Kirsten is WAY to heavy to push anymore in the jogger.

Jooj ~ hope you had a lovely run this morning.  Did you see the picture of my DS building the Lego Burj Khalifa on FB?  He was amazed when I told him I have a friend who lives just a few blocks away.

Sparkle ~ what is it with the steam burns?  I got one Sunday night on my wrist and it's blistering today.  Hope yours feels better soon.

JenLove ~ how's the new little guy?

MelW ~ your picture is great!  I want to come run there with you someday!

bec ~ that dog costume sounds funny! Glad your kids had a good Halloween.

Nic ~ wow, what a marathon story!  That snowstorm in the northeast was pretty unusual.  You finished the race, you did great!  Now, go relax.

RR ~ pilates yesterday, plus walking all over the neighborhood with the kids last night; nothing planned for today, but may try for a walk/run after dinner.

NRR ~ DS is 10!  He had a fantastic birthday on Sunday.  I can't believe I have a 10 year old.  How did that happen???  Halloween was fun, even though I made way too many surreptitious trips to the candy bowl bag.gif.  DS was a juice box, DD1 was a hobo, and DD2 was a ballerina.  They also scored WAY more candy than we'll ever be able to eat.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#7 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Here's the race list for the November thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

Naughty Dingo - Seattle Marathon - November 27

MelW - Jingle Bell Poker Run - December 4

Nickarolaberry - Disney World Marathon - January 8, 2012

kitteh - 13.1 Los Angeles Half Marathon - January 15, 2012

Realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012

Realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post
#8 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 AM

run.gif2011 Dingo Race Results  partytime.gif

babybugmama - Walt Disney World Half Marathon - January 8 (First half of Goofy challenge) - 2:21:14
babybugmama - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9 (Completion of Goofy Challenge) - 5:08:02
Nickaroloberry - Disney Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 4:59:14 (PR!)

HomeBirthMommy - Walt Disney World Marathon - January 9, 2010 - 6:12:57

Realrellim - Frosty's Frozen 5 and 10, 10 miles - Jaunary 15 - 1:33:51

Tjsmama - Yeti Chase 10K - January 22 - 1:05:18

Realrellim - Snowman Stampede 10 miles - February 19 - 1:29:05

Nickarolaberry - Scrub J 10K - February 19 - 1:01:42

JayGee - Ofallon YMCA Indoor Triathlon - February 26 - 47:14

modmom - Disney Princess Half Marathon - February 27 - 2:16

Runningmommy - 10K - March 5 - 47:16

Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 13 - 2:03:50 (PR!)

Nickarolaberry - Springfest 5K - March 19 - 26:43 (PR!)

MelW - CVRR Half Marathon - March 20 - 2:10:51 (PR!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:34:57 (PR!)

Mel38, poppywise - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 2 - 1:09:18 

bec, and bec's dh - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 9 - 37:40

Nickarolaberry - 10K - April 9 - 58:45 (PR!)

Realrellim - Platte River Half Marathon - April 10 - 1:57:38 (PR!)

Geofizz - runcbus 10 miler - April 10 - 1:34:42

Penelope - Lincoln Half Marathon - May 1 - 2:17:42

Bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 7 - 2:43:20

Naughty Dingo - Lake Monona 20K - May 7 - 1:50

Naughty Dingo - Syttende Mai 20 Mile - May 14 - 3:15 

tjsmama - Summer Open Sprint Triathlon (converted to duathlon due to weather) - May 22 - 1:34:23

Mel38 - Charleston Sprin Triathlon Series - May 22 - 1:31:07

Naughty Dingo - Madison Marathon - May 29 - 4:29:43

Realrellim - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 30 - 55:33

tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10 K - May 30 - 57:13

doctorjen - Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 30 - 27:39

bec - Naperville Triathlon - June 12 - 1:51:24 

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - June 25 - 3:40:16

Realrellim - Grand Park Run for Independence (5 miler, but a little short) - July 2 - 44:54

doctorjen - Streator Run for Glory 5K - July 2 - 26:27

Realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 9 -  2:00:25

memiles - Warrior Dash - July 16

Realrellim - Lookout Mountain Triathlon - July 23 - 1:42:39

tjsmama - Courage Classic 3 day bike ride, including a century - July 23-25

MotivatedMama - Beach to Beacon 10K - August 6

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 7 - 7:03:05

bec - Bangs Lake Multisport Festival (Olympic distance triathlon) - August 14 - 3:44:27 ( PR!)

doctorjen - Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K - August 14 - 26:37

Realrellim - Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - August 20 - 1:28:35

tjsmama - Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - August 20 - 1:23:51

tjsmama - Venus de Miles Road Ride - August 28 - 4:32

Dmitrizmom - Pufferbilly 5K - September 10 - 45:03 (7 min PR!)

Realrellim - Devil's Thumb Ranch Trail Race (7.5 miles) - September 17 - 1:15:29

bec and bec's dh - Warrior Dash Upper Midwest - September 17 - 41:13 

JayGee -  YMCA Lakeside 5K - September 24 - 24:05

Realrellim - Granby Oktoberfest 10K - September 24 - 1:05:50 (pushing the double jogger!)

tjsmama - Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon - September 25 - 1:36:42

poppywise - Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders 5K - September 25 - 32:47 (gun time)

eksmom - Star City Women's 5K - October 1 - 27:58.7

kitteh - Santa Monica 500 10K - October 2 - 56:19 (first race ever!)

bec - Prairie State Half Marathon - October 8 - 2:58:55.5

tjsmama - Denver Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon - October 9 - 2:09:18

doctorjen - Kansas City Marathon - October 15 - 4:25:44 (PR!)

Geo - Columbus Half Marathon - October 16 - 2:05:51 (PR!)

LaLaLaLa - BayState Half Marathon - October 16 - 2:08:47

bec - Corn Maze 5K - October 16 - 37:44

bec - Des Plaines River Trail Half Marathon - October 22 - 2:48:29

Nickarolaberry - Marine Corps Marathon - October 30 - 5:04:19

MelW - Perserverance Trail Run 11K - October 30 - 1:29: 

bec - Hot Chocolate 15K - November 5 - 2:07

Realrellim and real's dd - Home for the Holidays 5K - November 5 - 47:58

RunningMommy - Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon - November 5 - 1:39:48

tjsmama - Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon - November 12 - 2:50:18

eksmom - Outer Banks Half Marathon - November 13 - 2:11:11 (PR!!)

2010 Results

#9 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Happy November 1st!

Thanks, Jo, for the new thread. I hope that something gels for you regarding future plans. And that your mom doesn't make you feel guilty about doing what is best for your family. Moms... well, we are all moms... but there's something special about that mother/daughter relationship that really yanks my guilt chain, too.

Gaye, thumb.gif you are doing great just getting all this stuff done in your life. What with the crazy shifts you were working, the pressures of school and single momming, and sports and taking care of your friends and keeping your Dingos updated and and and... don't be too hard on yourself.

Mel, the pic of you on the trail race is awesome! That looks like such a fun race, and could you be any cuter? I hope that your busy week goes smoothly.

Sparkle and JG, ouch, heal up you guys!

Nick: Thank you for your awesome RR on the MCM!! Wow, it sounds like a grueling race, between the weather and the stress of knowing that your family was dealing with the whole loss of power thing, all this was obviously weighing on your mind. But you mastered it, and you kept on going, and you got >this< close to your target time, even considering the fact that you were running in throngs of people, running injured, running nauseous, running cold, and ran like, what, .3 or .4 of a mile too far! That's your 5 minutes right there, even without the port-o-potty trip. But you did it! thumb.gif  Just as with the having-a-baby analogy, give it a few days before you make a decision about Disney. I hope that you can get back home real soon.

I got back from Boston on Sunday with no trouble. There was hardly even any snow there, only on the grassy areas and on parked cars. They were in full de-icing mode at the airport, which was interesting to watch as I waited for the flight, but the sun was shining and there was almost no wind.

So, I have not exercised in any way, shape or form since running on Saturday. I feel like a total slug! I really should get out for 30 minutes today... It would be good especially since I am expected to run 8 this weekend spitdrink.gif Yeah, right. But that's what the Galloway plan calls for.

BTW, did I even mention that I completely missed my flight on the way to Boston? Right. Because I had just glanced at the ticket and remembered the number 1345. Thinking this was the time it flew, I had my DH drive me to the airport at noon. Um, no, it was the flight number. Flight 1345 leaves at 6:50 am!!!  I was like 5 hours late for my flight! I did not even bother to try to explain that to the ticket agent for fear she would think me a complete idiot. They put me on stand-by and I had no problems arriving that day. I luxlove.gif Southwest.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#10 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Nic, going back now to read your RR...

I actually ran the full 3418m circumference of the park without a break this morning, then a 200m break, and then another mile before breaking again, and finished at about 7000m, plus my walk to and from the park. Came home and did some yoga stretches, and then a little work before the kids came home. Took them to see Johnny English eyesroll.gif and picked up Indian takeout for dinner, now homework before bed.

Now I'm investigating home/online schooling, to see whether there's any sense to just being over here for, say, 6 months of the year? November through April or some such? But that would be the end of a lot of other things, so we'll see. There is a K12 academy here, but ugh, I don't know.

But I think I did decide that I want to try to get back to half-marathon fitness by the time the weather starts to heat up again. It felt so good to be able to run a little further today.

#11 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM

here. eating some yummy red curry wild rice soup. mmm.

nursing a good cough and missed my regularly scheduled run last night due to the festivities...

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#12 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM

You guys. You make me happytears.gif with your kind words. I love.gif you all.

nic~hug.gif, mama. I hope you get home safely soon. Sounds like a tough, tough race, but you know what? You finished it! You could have quit and you didn't, and you ran 26+ freaking miles! WAY TO GO!!!!

sparkle~I hope your arm is feeling better today...and yours, too, jaygee! Ouch!

melw~Great picture!

Ah, pushing the stroller. I seriously had not done it since the spring, I don't think. Maybe once over the summer. It wasn't completely horrible, but I give credit to the fact that the Chariot is a dream to push. Although when DS got out to run, I definitely felt the difference! orngbiggrin.gif Let me tell ya...pushing the Chariot was a WHOLE lot easier than carrying his dead weight upstairs to bed Sunday night when he fell asleep in the car on the way home!

It's kind of sad, but I do feel like I don't need to have a super-stellar resume and cover letter. I think I'm guaranteed an interview. Maybe that's one reason that I've been putting it off...I just hate doing these things. I have a hard time talking myself up, and to do it in print is even worse. Trying to come up with action-oriented descriptions for things I've done makes me want to rip my hair out. I WILL get this done today. Preferably in the next couple of hours. I'd really like to drop off a resume and thank you letter for the nurse manager where I did my practicum today (and I have something to drop off for my preceptor and for my clinical scholar, too). I feel like the one for my nurse manager at work doesn't need to be perfect, just for the fact that I'm going to her to get her advice and opinion on it, too, ytou know? It's not like I want it to suck, but it doesn't have to be completely ready to go, either. I think the bigger thing with the new grad program is the supplemental application where you have to answer a bunch of essay questions. Speaking of which, the new grad program (aka nurse residency program) is the only way for a new graduate nurse to get a job at the university hospital that I currently work at. It's a year-long program where new grads take some classes, do an evidence-based practice project, get peer support, and have much longer than normal orientation, all paid. There's a movement in nursing to try to get more of these residency programs to bridge the gap between school and practice...after all, medical students don't just graduate and get thrown into practice on their own, so why do nurses? There are residency programs at a couple of local hospitals, and they are the only entry into the hospital if you're a new grad. It's EXTREMELY competitive. In the last cycle, there were 400+ applications for 26 positions. And they're making a move toward wanting to hire >50% from out of state in the name of diversity (which is stupid, IMO...hello, you have one of the top nursing programs in the country in your backyard!). My other dilemma is that they make you pick your top two choices for unit based on what's available, and typically the managers won't even consider you unless you list their unit as a preference. Well, labor and delivery and the birth center are both available as options, but if I list both of those, then I can't list MY unit as an option, which I kind of feel like I need to, since I probably have a better shot at getting hired to my unit than to L&D or the birth center. dizzy.gif

rr~Got my long run in. It was not pretty. I really struggled to go do it...it's overcast and cold and depressing this morning. And I just didn't want to! But I did. Let me say again, it was not pretty. I forgot my inhaler, which made it even less pretty. There was a lot of walking in the second half. Yet somehow, I managed just over 11 minute pace for 10 miles? I have no idea how that works out.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#13 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Here, drowning in work.

Anxiously awaiting a dingo visit this weekend!

#14 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Mel, glad you got a standby flight! It's kind of a funny story (though the thing that keeps me awake at night before trips worrying about details).

Nic, what an amazing feat of endurance and tenacity!!! You're terrific. I hope you get power and get home soon.

Gaye, PM me if you want a second set of eyes on your application. My last job before nursing was running a student employment centre and helping people write resumes, etc. I agree that it's crazy-making to need to choose your areas of interest for the application. Fingers crossed for you getting what you want!!

bec and JayGee, the costumes sound cute for all!!

kerc and jo, you're making me hungry for curry.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#15 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
bec

Nic - Just finished reading your marathon report.  It just seems like this race was the true embodiment of marathon.  Tough, hard, something to be endured, painful, and exhausting.  But, you also need to remember you are triumphant, tenacious, strong and seriously hard core!!!  I really hope power comes back up for you soon!

#16 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Nic - Just finished reading your marathon report.  It just seems like this race was the true embodiment of marathon.  Tough, hard, something to be endured, painful, and exhausting.  But, you also need to remember you are triumphant, tenacious, strong and seriously hard core!!!  I really hope power comes back up for you soon!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#17 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Nic - Truly awesome, in every sense of the word! You have GRIT girl! I am proud to know you

MelW - I feel like I have so much to keep track of that the more I get out of the way, the less I have to remember. Just finding people who would write the recs took 2 whole weeks. I cant fill out the application until I had those lined up b/c the app. sends the recommenders an electronic form. The recs are not done yet, just lined up. You are handling SO MUCH, and so well, you will do the same with the application process.

Gaye - can you find a template, or model resume and then plug in your data? I always find it helpful to have the possible phraseology and/or words next to me when I confabulate one of those things lol.gif

Mel38 - that is too funny about the flight. How lucky that it worked so smooth. And congrats on the nice runs in Boston

JG - Happy Birthday to your DS. Double digits; I'll be there next year and I'm already wistful lol.gif Congratulations Mama hug.gif

Real - the even sadder thing is that I already took the GRE 11 years ago! The results are only good for 5 years, and they just changed the test last month, increasing it from 3 to 4 hours, among other things redface.gif Ah well

NRR: Arm is much better. It doesnt hurt anyway--the hydrocodone nipped that in the bud last night, and then I woke this morning with no pain, but a genuine big purple burn mark and some blistering. It started peeling today, and yow that fresh skin hurt, so now Ive got a big bandage on.

One of the recommendations I nailed down (from my past mentor) involved ME rewriting her old rec of 10 years ago, per her request, which I can now email to her so that when the program sends her the form she can just cut and paste. The other I confirmed yesterday when I managed to track down the long-ago VP of the school where I worked, from whom I have a copy of an eval. he did of my teaching back-when that I found in the garage. Ah Google. Asked him if he'd be willing to rewrite it/have me rewrite it and he is happy to. So scanned that today to email to him. Phew. Now back to the regularly scheduled [GRE] program eyesroll.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#18 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Nic, wow, mama, what a race. It sounds absolutely grueling. I totally bow down to you. Fantastic, and it says amazing things about your spirit.

Jo, honestly, I don't know how I would cope in your shoes. It seems to me that you're already living apart, but you're away from all your usual supports, which must make everything ever more difficult. You're a strong woman.

MelW.... 300 papers? Wow, I feel like a whinge-bag moaning about the 25 exams I received today bag.gif

Mel, I did laugh as I read about the flight! But sounds like Boston was a lot of fun. Wish I'd been able to come down for a visit.

Gaye, get to that cover letter!

Sparkle, very impressed that you managed to get those letters of recommendation! Everything crossed that this works out.

Real, do you know when you'll find out about the TT position?

Happy birthday, Jaygee's ds!

AM: I think I am actually now just really depressed. I'm finding it very hard to function and mostly I just feel sorry for myself. I should be 9 weeks pregnant now but I have no idea if I am still pregnant. I will see my Dr next week and I am just hoping that we find a heartbeat with the doppler. I can't bear to go for another ultrasound at the fetal/maternal center, and I am seriously considering changing Drs to one that has an inhouse ultrasound machine as I just can't face the ultrasound place. I am still sick - and have lost almost 10 pounds. I saw another Dr on Saturday and he suggested that I may have to go to the hospital for some fluids, but I managed to drink a little more. My dad is still in hospital and is reacting badly to the meds they;ve given him. I feel so helpless as it sounds like they're really doping him up so that he sleeps, and they've even used restraints on him. My dad is a very mild-mannered 86 year old, and it's heartbreaking to imagine him so vulnerable. Oof, I would like to wake up to 2012! 

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#19 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM

zub ~ I wish I had the words.. or loads of money to fly for tea, hugs, lots of support, and whatever else you'd need!

jo ~ Thinking of you!

AJ is doing great!  He is growing way too fast and putting on weight a lot quicker than Val did.  He was averaging 2oz gain daily at his 2 week appointment!

Our farm is coming along - 12 hens, 1 rooster, 4 ducks, and 2 goats.  We should be kidding late winter and taking over Jo's adventures with the farm babes.  We sold our first dozen eggs today and have a big list of people who want some. :)  J will be traveling next week to get our guard dog for the animals in the barn - a Great Pyrenese.  

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#20 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Nic, just...wow. You win for the sheer determination. I think I might have let go once finding the hotel, if I'm honest. You did such amazing work out there. Congratulations. I am SO proud of you.

Jennie, watch out. You are going to love this. luxlove.gif And I seriously cannot wait to come and see you in the middle of it.

Zub, hang in there, mama. Trying to consciously place a line between what is in my control and what is not, is a helpful exercise for me. Prayers for your father. 

MelW, I had a similar reaction to Zub on 300 pages of papers. I can hardly get through 300 pages of a well-written work these days. Yikes.

Today will be one of those super-full days, if I can muster. I want to go out for a short run, then I have to find the UPS office (because the post office won't ship anything over 450g?! even though I received the same book via postal mail?!). Then a bookstore trip to research a special column for UAE national day, and then come home and clean the house because the kids have Arabic tutoring tonight. Humidity is a bit on the high side again, so we'll see what happens.

Also need to write because it's November and I need to make significant novel progress, and I'm starting a book proposal for another project. 

Sparkle, at least this trial by fire will have you committed to the cause, yes? I don't envy you the GRE studying. I choose to forget that detail when I consider going back to school.

#21 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

I cannot believe it's November already.  Where did this year go?

Nic - I said it already on facebook, but you are truly amazing, mama!  It takes a lot to keep going in those circumstances.  Thank goodness for friends, but I hope you can get back in your own house with power, soon!

tjsmama - is that resume finished?

1jooj - are you doing NaNoWriMo?  Catherine stayed up to midnight last night to start as soon as possible.  This is her 4th year in a row, and would be her third "win" if she makes it.  I agree with the others about your mom.  Hard to see how any one can look at your situation and see you as not toughing it out?

bec - you're already next on the race list again!  I so wish I was still in IL and could run that one with you (well, except that I really like my new job, and the house, and the neighborhood.)  Eat some chocolate for me!

NRR - I get a dingo meet up!  Catherine and I are headed to Geo's town this weekend for some college visits.  We're hoping to also take in K's soccer game and hit an art museum! 

RR - ran 6 on a local trail today.  This is a multi-use trail, that is hard packed gravel, not anything too rustic, but still lovely to run outside, crunch leaves under foot, and hear the birds and bugs.  Yesterday, I passed 1000 miles for 2011!  This was a secret New Year's resolution for me.  The highest I've ever managed before was high 800s, so I'm pretty excited. 

#22 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
bec

Wow! Way to go on the mileage, Jen!  Maybe I can come down to K. City sometime and do a race down there!  Or, we could do a big Dingo Meetup at Indy for the Mini again this spring!  I really missed not camping with the Dingos last summer.  I know it was a crazy summer for lots of us, but I would really love it if we could have one this coming summer (see me already looking forward to summer?!).

Zub - All my prayers are with you and your family. 

Oh, and I was watching videos on Devour and found Life In A Day.  It's kind of long, but so worth it.  They took July 24, 2010, and asked for videos taken on that day, answering a few questions.  They got over 4500 hours of footage from all over the world.  One of the cooler things I've seen!

#23 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM

zub~Thinking of you. Hang in there, mama. hug.gif

drjen~clap.gif 1000 miles is awesome!

Yes, yes, the resume is done. Maybe not stellar, but "good enough" for now. I'm debating on a cover letter or not for my meeting with the manager tomorrow. I'm kind of thinking why bother, since I'm pretty sure HR is the only place it will be seen, and if my manager likes me, she WILL make sure I get interviewed, regardless of HR. I dropped off the resume and letter at the other hospital (where I did my practicum), lined up a reference from my preceptor, and sent emails to all three of my recommendation letter-writers giving them status updates. I even got a preliminary portfolio put together. I'm not entirely sure what all I'm supposed to have in it, but so far I have: my resume; copies of letters of recommendation; copies of a thank-you letter and an accolade I got from two separate patients during my practicum; a copy of my peer mentor program certificate; and a writing sample with comments raving about how great it was and a 100%. orngtongue.gif I guess my manager will let me know what I'm missing, right?

So, while I didn't get *everything* done that I need to, I at least took a decent-sized chunk out of it. I have to be on campus for simulation at 10:30 tomorrow, so I'm thinking that I will haul my behind over there early after dropping DS at school at 8 and spend some time working on things that are due on Wednesday. Unless, of course, there is no school for DS tomorrow (another winter storm warning), in which case I'm not really sure how that's going to work out...

#24 of 383 Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Nic-- clap.gif for the marathon. That was a tough one and you did it anyhow. Also, I hope you're able to get home and power is restored without too much trouble.

tjsmama--yay for a done resume, and good luck with our second snowstorm of the year. Paul has an early meeting on campus tomorrow and I'm taking R to school...that should be all sorts of fun. It wasn't snowing in Denver when I left at 8:45, but it was coming down heavily at home. I'm a little skeered to see what morning will bring.

zub-- greensad.gif Hang in there is inadequate, as is anything I can say. Those weeks with J were among the worst in my life. I'll send lots of Dingo vibes that you get through this and that the time passes quickly. goodvibes.gif

Have already forgotten the rest of my personals. bag.gif

To whomever asked: I'm not sure how quickly the tt job process will go. They might schedule interviews before the holidays but I'm guessing the interviews themselves won't take place until January. Kerc and Geo and Zub might have a better idea.

They're going to asks finalists for a Quicktime video showing them teaching a class, so I'm going to bring my Flip camera to class on Thursday and set it up. Rumor has it that I'm only teaching online next semester (more department politics!) so I'm going to get the video done while I can.

Speaking of the job drama, I'd been debating who to use as my third (or as it turns out, fourth) recommender. I'd been thinking of my supervisor until it turned out that he'd mommy-tracked me, and so then I went with the more flaky faculty member who at least respects online teaching and doesn't have a problem with maternity leave. It turns out I was right: he can be flaky. Thank goodness my former advisor came through for me, because this recommender hasn't written the letter yet. Apparently he was a little busy this week. eyesroll.gif I should still be able to use his letter to apply to a community college though, so it's not wasted.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#25 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the kind words, mamas. You make me cry. Amazingly I don't feel that power you all think I have...although I know that if I read the same story from someone else, I would think they were amazing. So where is my own confidence and power? Sigh.

I am hoping to get home today. Dh wants me to come home regardless of whether the power has come back. I think he is insane. Maybe the cold water has frozen his brain.

Zub, hugs (I can't do smileys for some reason). I really, really empathize with your fear and frustration and depression. Unfortunately I have no helpful words or strategies to offer other than...we're here. (Also, since you're building your new house...you might want to consider investing in a generator. I never thought I'd need one of those but apparently life has changed and it's a good thing to have).

Gaye, hugs and luck on the job front. The match process (is that what it is?) and the medical field are not so simple but it sounds like you have so much to offer and I know something great will come your way.

Jo, I can understand the guilt factor in being away from dh. I really can. But he is away from you so much now...I don't know. The only thing I do know, having now followed my husband to a distant and unknown (albeit not foreign!) locale for the 3rd time in 10 years, is that if you find a place you love, try and stay put somehow. I am exhausted from all these moves, and on a deep level my trust and confidence in my marriage (which had issues anyway) has been compromised by the feeling that we're never quite secure where we are because I don't know what will happen with dh's job. It's better to have a wonderful home base and try and make it work from there. This is my gut feeling right now. It might not be right for you, but having that center is so important...I don't have that anymore. It has been brought to my attention even more these past few days because I've had the opportunity to spend time in the two communities I truly loved living in with friends I really care about. I would give a great deal to be able to go back to either one of those places. I do like our new area, but it's not the same...(yet?). Find your heart's center and go there.

I can't remember the other personals. I'm still a bit of a mess. My stomach isn't right, my foot is hurting, and I'm wrung out. and I can't even run to get the willies out. Sigh. Slowly, slowly...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#26 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Hello November!!  :)  Wowzers!!

DrJen~when you get a free minute (haha!) would you put this Saturday's race on the list please?  It's the Monumental Half Marathon, November 5.  Thanks!

RR: been resting my foot this week from a sprained muscle from Just Dance 3.  Yup, I was really getting into it and injury occured hour 2 of dancing. 

NRR:  trying to get it all done.  :)

Hope to keep up better. 

Zub and Real~hugs!

#27 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

While I have no RR to offer, I do have this running-related tidbit. Kinda interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=1&hp

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#28 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Funny, I can run and not come back feeling sore, but put me barefoot on these tile floors for a few hours and I am done. My back is killing me this AM. Kids' last day of school before a long weekend, dh comes home sometime tonight in the middle of the night (surprise for the kids), and I got a bunch of emails overnight here related to writing up an offer to purchase and signing off on the same docs I signed as a seller. yikes.gif Seems dh has been talking with the realtors. I guess I am going to have to talk to him to find out just what sort of price he is willing to offer. omg. If this goes down, we'll be buying the place back for about $100K less than we got for it in the buyout, and even less than we owed on it before. And we'd only have to finance about half the purchase price. Anyway, dh obviously has a few things to talk with me about. praying.gif Nic, it may just be working out the way it needs to; guess we sort of watch and see. Thank you for your wisdom and thoughts on it. I think you really are getting where I'm at, and the feeling of not just being alone in the desert (oooh, it's Eid-al-Adha and the Hagar story is a big part of that, and I may just have a blog post brewing), but with no safety net beneath me (because realistically, no water is going to spring forth from the sand where dd stomps it with her heel) is a desperate and heartbroken place.

Jennie, how much time did you guys put between offer and closing? I need to see how far out I can put that date in order to make the financing easier. I can get a better rate on a home loan if I can move in 60 days after purchase; otherwise, I have to take a different type of loan and the rate would be a quarter percent higher or so.

Sparkle, I am jumping into the article, and just reading that 79% of us will have an injury makes me think, "whaaaa?" I'd like to go barefoot, but not at this weight. And I think weight probably does have a good deal to do with those numbers being so high. If I were 130lbs, I'm sure my weight-bearing joints would be feeling much better than they are now.

drjen, no NaNoWriMo for me, but November is a great month to make progress on writing projects. I have a special column to write for the 40th anniversary of the UAE, and my trip to the bookstore yesterday was action-packed. I got into it with a security guard, a CSR and a management-type over the fact that I was there with pen and notebook, taking notes. No kidding. I basically told them all where to put it with my airline-stewardess smile and went about my business. Besides that, I want to try and get through the rough of what is basically "act two" of my novel story. Another period of slogging, really.

Gaye, I'd still write a cover letter, but that is my insecure self. I always want to make it clear to people that I am really serious about things, so I follow procedural guidelines. Then later, when I need them to work outside the lines with me, I've made it clear already that it's about my needs and not my lack of regard for them or the job. Just my MO.

Real, I know we'd discussed mommy-tracking and all that before, but I had never heard/seen such extreme examples as yours. I am so disgusted on your behalf, and I just want something awesome to come down for you. It would be such a joy to see a wonderful opportunity happen. Hoping for the best for you, really really.

and bec, if there's an upper midwestern meetup, maybe maybe just maybe I could make it. That thought makes me energy.gif.

OK, guess I better see what all this offer to purchase stuff is about...

#29 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

cold.gifclap.gifgrouphug.gifhopmad.gifsticky.gifdizzy.gifsleepytime.gif

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#30 of 383 Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Today was a long, full day. We had another 6-ish inches of snow this morning, and I was desperately hoping for a school delay. Not cancellation, mind you, just an extra hour or two of sleep! No such luck. Districts all around us cancelled, but not us. I dropped DS at school on iffy-but-ok roads, only to realize that I left his lunchbox at home. duh.gif I figured it was bound to happen sooner or later, but did it have to happen on a day with crappy road conditions? I retrieved it and then headed off to my school, got an hour's worth of work done, and then had my LAST SIMULATION of nursing school! joy.gif Then my meeting with my manager, who was running late, then flew home and did the fastest searing job EVER on a pot roast and veggies to get them in the oven in time before heading off to volunteer in DS's classroom. Home from school, and two hours of cleaning to get the kitchen, dining, living and guest bath rooms presentable for guests because a friend who is interested in going to nursing school was coming over for dinner. DS, once again, took three painful hours to do not-very-much of his homework. rolleyes.gif And of all the things that I attempted to bribe, I mean motivate, him with...it took peeling potatoes to get his behind in gear! I was peeling potatoes for dinner, and I told him if he could get his homework colored fast enough, he could peel one. I've never seen the child color so quickly! Seriously! shrug.gif Dinner was really nice, although DS was kind of tired-crazy-out of control. Which, you know, is kind of normal for most kids. orngtongue.gif

So...the meeting with my manager...EXTREMELY helpful. She told me straight up that she will guarantee that I get a med-surg interview. She feels like she owes it to her employees to give them that opportunity...once there, it's up to them to prove themselves worthy of a position. So...joy.gif That's a HUGE deal, when they may interview 15 people out of 300 applicants. She also gave me some great tips on what they look for in resumes and portfolios and interviewing. So I need to get my supplemental application done and a great cover letter written (she said it IS important), and then I guess I wait. And start thinking seriously about interview preparation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page