Dingos bustling through December - Our running* thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 320 Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sparkle, that you received a rejection letter from NYT is huge. Hold onto it. It means, first of all, that you wrote and actually submitted something. And it means they took what you submitted seriously and responded. I know you have certainly read that there's a lot more rejection than publication in writing. Hugs.

I have been using more screens than I should, as have my children. We never lived like this before and it pains me.

I need to grocery shop today in the worst way. We leave in 3 days, though, so it's one of those things, keeping away from buying more than we need.

Also, my back seems to have made some sort of unilateral decision. irked.gif

#242 of 320 Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Jo - yes, I know all about rejection. Also, when we were in DE for that year, my kids watched way more vids than they ever had or have since, and I despaired, but they seem none the worse for wear. hugs to you too..

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#243 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Just popping in to say I'm back on track for the C25K. Week 2 Day 2 today and hopefully day 3 tomorrow. I'm completely run down, but my day seems to go by so much better if I start it with a run, even if it is on the dreadmill. Mastitis is much better though my lower back is another story right now. YAWN. I didn't see DH yesterday and won't see him today, tomorrow, or Saturday either. That leaves me completely responsible for all things Christmas and family. Today is a good day. That is my mantra. DD1 is reading over my shoulder. Who taught her to read? orngtongue.gif

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#244 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 AM

Just turned in my final column and turned down their offer to extend the gig. Feels like I did something bigger than it probably really was. Considering I never got any feedback on the thing, I don't think I'll be especially missed, and the feeling is mutual.

And re: rejection, I sent in a couple of things a good while ago and have yet to hear a word. I feel you, sparkletruck.

MM, I meant to add my joy.gifre: sweat test. For real, mama!

OMG, just listening to my poor ds trying to study Arabic...is painful. How is it this kid didn't get the language-learning gene? I wonder how this is ever, ever going to happen. Dd on the other hand, a natural. Could it be that ds is just slower to start? I really, really hope so. Ugh.

Did I mention the friend who offered her home is my yoga teacher? And dd's dance instructor? And Muslim? I think we may also ask about bellydance lessons with her for the 4mos we're there. It's really hard to describe the weight off my shoulders if this all works out with school and housing and such. I almost feel a little bit sane just thinking about it.

#245 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 AM

Jo - the "problem" with the rejection (there have been several over the years) is that I end up with a file full of writing that goes no where. Does my writing have to go somewhere / be read by an audience to be validated? I dont know. It feels like it does. Some of the pieces I dont like in hindsight. This most recent one I really do ... although as the weeks passed between sub. and rej. I started picking it apart from their perspective, or rather, started thinking of reasons why they wouldnt like it, and think I have a good understanding of why it wasnt a good fit for that column after all. This was a useful exercise. But in the meantime, I wouldnt change the piece to fit better, so now what do I do with it (sine I wrote it with that column in mind)? I actually Googled "Modern Love Reject" yesterday, and it turns out there is a whole world of publishing of rejected Modern Love pieces lol.gifredface.gif I know I dont want to submit it to a website dedicated to Modern Love rejects lol.gifshrug.gif Anyway, I guess this is the nature of it eh. File cabinets full of writing until one day, something hits (er.... or not redface.gif)

Glad for you housing news. It sounds like it could be really amazingly ideal! Like, prayers answered ...

MM - way to go on the work-out in the midst of everything you have going on joy.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#246 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Did I mention the friend who offered her home is my yoga teacher? And dd's dance instructor? And Muslim? I think we may also ask about bellydance lessons with her for the 4mos we're there. It's really hard to describe the weight off my shoulders if this all works out with school and housing and such. I almost feel a little bit sane just thinking about it.

She sounds perfect!  I really hope that arrangement works out well for you and your family.

DH and I had a long conversation about moving again last night.  We built this awesome house and moved in exactly one year ago.  Love the house, hate just about everything else.  We're going to use our vacation in Colorado this summer to scout out Colorado Springs as a possible destination in the couple of years joy.gif.  How I yearn for mountains, or even just some big hills!  And trail running!  And  people who enjoy the outdoors as much as I do!

I'm driving DH to the hospital in a couple of hours for his knee surgery.  Send him some easy-surgery, fast-healing, minimal-recovery-pain, knee-fixing vibes, ok?

Has anyone ever done a candida detox?  I'm getting some really weird side effects to eating sugar/carbs (dizziness, visual disturbance, strange thoughts, headaches) that I think might be yeast related.  Or perhaps it's just me coming "off" the Cymbalta still.  Anyway, eating sugar and wheat bag.gif really makes these symptoms get bad.  I've got to do something about my sugar cravings.  I feel so out of control.

RR ~ will ride the trainer again before taking DH to the hospital.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#247 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 AM

JG - wave.gif I've done it. It sounds like your symptoms could be yeast related, but the thing about yeast is that everything does right? I think the bigger cue is that you are experiencing these symptoms corresponding to eating certain foods even as you come off Cymbalta.

In my case (lonnnng story), I had pretty mild and localized yeast that I thought was much worse (turned out the worse symptoms were something else, which I figured out later, but after 6 months of the Candida diet, and which is why I say, a yeast "diagnosis" is very hard to do and can get carried away)

I will say that doing that diet (and I dont know how long/short it would have ad to be to result in the same thing) completely changed my palate. I used to have a very grain/carb heavy diet, but since then (5 years ago) I really dont crave them in the same way. I still eat them, but my diet is mostly veggies and protein (nuts and eggs mostly, some tofu, dairy and meat, but Ive never been much of a dairy person). I remember that out of control feeling, well, not out of control, but never sated, and I dont have it anymore. I still eat sugar (hello chocolate, my love) daily! But I reach a limit where I am definitely done, and that's it.

I spent those six months studying candida and reading way too much about all related alternative health ideas.... although it did lead me to the "cure" for what I do have so I guess it all had a purpose in the end, but the point is, if you want to talk, PM me.

#248 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Screen time? Let's just say that my kids watch way more now than they did when they were little. They used to love doing other things more and I guess even now they are generally doing something else at the same time they have a DVD on but it is still way more than it used to be. I find my 13 year old dd especially just likes to come home from school and be entertained for a good long while before getting into homework and too much family interaction. She loves Facebook and found a site where she is basically dressing paper dolls online. Of course I would be happier if she was doing the same thing but doing more than clicking a mouse but it could be worse. ds does his best to just glide back and forth between Facebook and playing games on his iPod (no way there's going to be internet connection on it for him) but he is pretty good about doing other things..... when I push. He is 15. my 12 year old dd loves having movies on in the background while she writes, draws or weaves. She is the most creative and imaginative human being I have ever met and I have come to realize that taking in the stories and dialogue in all the movies she watches actually feeds her creativity.

dh's parents arrive tomorrow. I have the things I need to do pretty well planned out. I should finish the gift preparations by tonight and have the holiday cooking all planned out so it will be fun rather than stressful. I would much rather be making latkes than turkey and gingerbread but this is my reality for now. I trust I will figure it all out in time. At this point my challenge is being the pastor's wife at Christmas and living with "the nicest, most generous and caring guy in town" (words people use about him all the time) when my spiritual place and personal experience of our relationship have nothing to do with this pretty small town picture that I find myself living in. It is a very strange place to be so I am working on planning little things to help me stay grounded in the midst of a holiday I don't want to celebrate with people I find very challenging to be around. My kids are making it so much easier - they are amazing  luxlove.gif

sparkle, my eating habits are a lot like yours. I don't miss eating grains very much. I have maybe 3 servings of rice or corn a week and I don't really miss the rest. I love fruit, vegetables, cheese, eggs and a little meat. I make tea lattes first thing every morning but no milk apart from that. Chocolate seems to be a daily requirement. I have no problem with that as it satisfies the craving more than any other sweet.

I made peppermint bark for the first time last night. Forget the cookies, I am in love with this stuff. And yes, I know white chocolate doesn't really count as chocolate but I don't really care when it comes to this  eat.gif

#249 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi Mamas,

Sparkle, hug2.gif on the rejection letter. Yeah, been there. Though I must say I've never even rated a rejection letter from the NYT! They just ignore me. irked.gif

Jo, that sounds like a great potential plan. I hope it works out the way you want. 

JayGee, the diet thing...yeah. I don't know about yeast but I definitely have sugar issues. It gets worse if I eat any gluten. I think I've been eating gluten without realizing it...what is modified food starch? I need to get a LOT more careful about labels. I've been kind of lax...like if it doesn't say wheat, wheat starch, wheat protein, etc. then I figure it's ok. But it's not and clearly as my system calibrates it gets more sensitive to gluten traces. Yesterday I had a *terrible* eating day and my stomach is a disaster, plus I'm starving (weird combination) and my sugar cravings are driving me nuts.

And as to the moving thing...I am there with you on that too. I feel very displaced lately. I don't feel like I really have a 'place'. I like my new community I guess...the people are nice and I've made some friends that might turn into real friends. I don't know if I will ever really find a community that fits me -- it would be so nice to be in a somewhat vibrant Jewish community (with Orthodox synagogue and school) and also a place where people are active, has trails to run, and is also the kind of place where I can get my hippy-crunchy vibe (organic food/csa, environmentally sustainable stuff that people care about etc.). Amherst comes close but doesn't really have the Jewish thing going on and no place to rent that we can afford. I am complaining, I know. But all this moving around...the only benefit is that it clarifies what a person really wants in a home place and I haven't found it yet. And damn, I"m cold. Two years in Florida was definitely enough to take the winter-love away. Brr. cold.gif And we haven't even hit the cold big time yet!

Taking my girls out to a winter camp, that was originally set up by the girl who created this magazine: www.yaldah.com -- she was homeschooled and decided there wasn't a good magazine for Jewish girls, so she made one (at age 12!) and made it into a huge thing, got a Wells Fargo grant for over $100K, and brought some partners on board to create these retreat camps (winter and summer). Totally awesome. My oldest dd is rooming with the daughter of the rabbi who created www.room613.net which is the Torah homeschooling network I teach for online. Maybe virtual community is the best I can do, right now...

RR: Easy 6 this morning. I think I"m signing up for the Iron Horse half marathon on June 3 (http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Amica_Iron_Horse_Half_Marathon__10K___5K.htm)

Something to train for...for speed. Going to go for broke on that one I think, and shoot for my 1:57 goal. For MYSELF. love.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#250 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Sparkle - Yeah, I've only submitted once to NYT and I got nothing but silence.  I think a real live letter is pretty cool!

Shanti - candle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gifcandle.gif  Wow mama, you're sure in a strange place these days!  I'm glad your children are helping.

Geo - No worries, I'm okay with the screen time they get although boy is it more than 15 minutes here and there.  15 minutes isn't nearly enough time for me to get anything done!  lol.gif  I do try to keep a balance of screen time to outdoor play to reading to homework etc but I'm really not the mom that does projects with her kids all the time.  I usually think, okay they'll enjoy painting for about 3 minutes and the set up/clean up will take between 5 minutes and all week so it's a lot easier to say , "honey, you get to paint at school, how about just coloring with this pencil?"   Lala, I had both the experience of being very restricted from tv (and sneaking it as often as possible so I could keep up with the chit chat at school) and then having free rein to watch Three's Company and The Jeffersons and Star Trek (for a while, the afternoon line-up)  I must say, I really look back fondly at my days of watching those shows.loveeyes.gif  Now I can hardly stand to sit down in front of the tv at all.  I get too antsy and then feel like I just wasted however much time I spent there.

Nic - II hope you find some IRL connections that make you feel alive there.  I find here that it comes and goes. When I'm working on the plays with the kids I feel really connected and part of the community, when I'm not it's harder to feel still a part of things, even though I still know and see all the same people all over town. 

JG - Good luck with scouting new places to live. 

MM -Good luck with the everything-on-your-plate for the next few high intensity days. I'm impressed that you're getting your c2k in no matter what.

Jo - That does sound like a match made in heaven.  I hope it continues working out.

RR; Sort of anyway.  I went to a Zumba class this morning which was pretty low key (me, the instructor and one other lady) but it was fun and I got sweaty.  We'll see what my back thinks as the day goes on.  The rest of the day is going to be devoted to kitchen rehab progress, we're ready to deal with the island countertop at long last.  Let's hope I'm still a natural with the router.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#251 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM

blork

#252 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

blork

What's up, Mama grouphug.gif?

Plady ~ funny that you mention the restricted TV resulting in sneaking because my Mom really restricted TV and I vividly remember using pliers to turn it on when she left us home alone to go grocery shopping (I was about 14).  I also remember catching the full fury of her wrath when I got caught trying to watch the Luke and Laura wedding on Guiding Light lol.gif.

DH is home from his surgery and trying to do too much already.  Apparently the inside of his knee was a lot more yucky than the surgeon expected going in.

#253 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Mamas please talk some sense into me. The past two days have been eating disasters (candy greensad.gif ) and my stomach is a mess as well as my mental state. This is not good.

Blork, indeed.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#254 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Nic, I am just stepping away from some drawn-out disasters, too. Chocolate to the rescue. I've been known to go hog wold with gummies and jellybeans and the like. Dark chocolate is the only cure, one square and it's all good, with a cup of coffee and it's perfect. Obviously some accompanying relaxation and contentment thoughts go with the coffee and choc. Get thee to the vegetables. It's those darkest days and the carb crave that goes along with it. I'm not feeling it here (no cold). I really do think your body-mind is reacting to being back in that climate. I had this happen when I moved back to WI after Morocco, and we also had a really cold winter. It sucked. I won't tell you how it ended, but 5 years later, Dingoes saved my life.

I apparently need the same kind of diet you ladies describe. I think I can tolerate wheat, but it triggers me to overeat (bread, pasta and couscous all do this). Rice is fine. I tend to do a lot of vegetables and beans, a good bit of meat and fish, not a ton of eggs off the farm, and morning coffee with milk. shrug.gif It's not too hard when I am on my own to not overdo carbs, but dh eats a lot more of them and tends to make the major eating decisions when he is around. He doesn't like Asian food. I can live on Indian and Thai. Somehow, married 14 years today.

TV: most is in Arabic. Kids are watching a lot of Tom and Jerry as a result. ROTFLMAO.gif

I just got an email that a poem I submitted to a journal was shortlisted for publication. Should know by end of the year if it makes it in. I worked hard on it, was really affected by it, and I like it. It's sort of offensive. But so was the incident I wrote it about.

Dh and I were going over the list of holy sites to try and visit...Abraham, David, Solomon, Moses, Aaron, Job, Lot, Jethro, John the Baptist, Jesus, Mohammed...may the Peace and Blessings of G!d be upon them and upon all those who follow their teachings. I am excited to get a little bit of holy in my eyes. I am so tired of this strange secularity mixed with in-your-face religious pas de quoi. I am hoping for some quiet mental space to let go of 2011 on the Dead Sea, and to welcome 2012 with its blessings. Ladies, looking around these days, from this POV, the world feels pretty wild and scary. Hold peace inside your hearts and work peace with your hands. I wish you all deep and abiding peace in the coming year.

#255 of 320 Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Happy Anniversary Jo! And wonderful news about the poem. And blessings to you on your upcoming journey, and your bigger journey

#256 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 AM

Happy Anniversary Jo!

Safe travels, Godspeed, and happy anniversary! Please say hello to the Dead Sea for me from the side I will probably never see...and to all those amazing holy places and souls.

#257 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Morning Dingos,

Jo - That was a beautiful blessing, I hope your travels are safe and inspiring.  I'm also feeling ready to venture into 2012 even though the horizon doesn't look all that safe or sunny.  But we'll all have each other through whatever the new year brings us and that's something worth celebrating right there.

Nic - This is a really hard time to keep a sane and reasonable diet.  There is so much pressure to be mainlining cookies and chocolates and all the other assorted holiday foods, none of which are particularly good for anyone!  I'm not really into making foods that we shouldn't eat and don't need and don't really have time to make but today cookie making is on the schedule simply because I can't think of a creative way to make gifts for friends with the kids that doesn't involve even more clean-up!  Maybe you could make some veggie soups to try and counteract the stuff that you're having trouble avoiding?

JG - I hit Guiding Light in the Beth and Lujack days.   I was totally hooked for about a school year - until that affair fizzled and I didn't care about Reba and Jake(?).

I really wish I knew where our camera is, our kitchen transformed yesterday from plywood work areas to this place that looks a lot more like it belongs to grown-ups!  Of course, it's still not camera ready, we have a truckload of trash to haul out and there are still some missing cabinet doors, but still, it's like a whole new place!  I'm pretty psyched.

I highly doubt that I'll get any RR today, but I'll keep an open mind :)

#258 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mainlining cookies....

For us, the kids and their babysitter have been baking all week.  Popcorn balls w/ M&Ms, reindeer cake pops, cookies, and more.  Every day.  I asked that baking be reduced to 1/4 recipes, and still there's sweets every day.

At least the kids are going ice skating today, and every other day she's taken them for a run.

I was feeling guilty about only having socks and underwear for DH under the tree, so I got him an organic meat basket of steaks, sausages, hamburgers, and the like.  hide.gif  That, plus all the cookies, and I'm now dreaming of salad.  Lots of salad.  So....   what do you like on your spinach?

DD had the first appointment with the neuropsych yesterday.  6+ hours of testing is the norm after the initial meeting, and considering the KBIT scores I showed him, he said to pretty much count on a minimum of 8.  She spent the entire two hours playing in a sand box, which caught repeated mention from all the staff there.  I did checklists for ADHD (2), autism (3), and sensory processing disorder.  As I described to DH, there were "hot pixels" all over the place -- something in almost every category, but no categories standing out with any patterns. Whoever wrote those autism rating scales diagrams sentences more naturally than I do:  "I am not often unable to read someone's facial expressions." I was to respond with with "agree" or "disagree"  as to my perception of DD's abilities, despite being written in first person.  dizzy.gif  She goes for IQ, achievement testing, and very detailed phonological testing.  I'm disappointed that none of this seems to come with anyone actually looking at the handwriting, since it seems obvious to me these are all linked. 

#259 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Geo ~ I just had a delicious spinach salad with spinach (duh), shredded carrot, tuna, walnuts, apple chunks, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Yum.

RR ~ 3 miles at the Y.

#260 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM

1jooj--Congrats on your anniversary, and I wish you safe and peaceful travels.

JayGee--hope your husband recovers quickly from knee surgery. Also, I think it's pretty easy to hate central Illinois, and really easy to love Colorado. Even Colorado Springs. :P (Boulder and Colorado Springs are polar opposites of each other, with Denver a nice, moderate in-between for the most part. Politics shouldn't make a difference, but OTOH, Colorado Springs had a mayor last year that decided to turn off street lights, grow no flowers for the summer, and such rather than accept federal stimulus money. eyesroll.gif It's pretty, nevertheless.)

Nic--Love the 1/2 goal, and you can totally do that. Also, goodvibes.gif for the disasters and candy-relief-related fallout.

Geo--will they give you more commentary (and possibly answers?), or was it another inconclusive type of thing?

RR: 4 miles in Rochester. Also, it's cold here: 26 degrees, but 16 with the windchill. cold.gif Strangely though, no snow.

NRR: We flew out of Denver yesterday morning in the midst of a snowstorm. Good times, that! The worst part was getting out of our driveway. DH thinks he shoveled a foot of snow off our driveway before we left (I suspect it was more like 8-10" but it was heavy and wet and I didn't shovel so I'll grant him his 12"). We didn't have time to shovel the whole thing, so he shoveled one car's worth and we called it good. Luckily, one of our neighbors had plowed a path to a more main road in the neighborhood (the city plows, but it takes a while before they get around to our dinky street). Once we were out of the neighborhood the roads were slick but ok, and amazingly, our plane even left on time. It was rainy in Chicago and Buffalo, but all went well. The only downside was that our hotel in Buffalo was cold. The owners appeared to be trying to save money by not heating the hallway, so there was a cold draft coming in from the hallway and another one from the door to a vacant adjoining room and the little room heater wasn't much of a match. We finally used our coats to stop the draft under the door and then it warmed up. (Note to self: if DH says hotel is a good deal, find a slightly pricier good deal....) This morning we drove to his parent's house in Rochester and here we are.

Now, only the perennial questions remain:
-Why do they not clean the main bathroom before we come? (There was a bit of poop smeared on the outside of the toilet, plus urine tracks running down the outside of the bowl in more than one location. I noticed this as I was holding J on the potty. So. Disgusting. disappointed.gif

-Why don't they vacuum the cat hair off the furniture when Paul has specifically asked them to clean up the cat hair so I can breathe? banghead.gif

-Why does MIL ask all the relatives over for dessert after we go out for dinner and then offer a plate of frosted brownies, fudge, chocolate and cookies that all have dairy--which means neither child can have anything? What kind of sadist does that to their grandchildren every. single. time we visit? hopmad.gif

Seriously! She told R this afternoon that she was baking brownies and then said, "oh, I should get the box so you can check it." Even before she handed it to me I could see that it had dairy because it advertised the chocolate from some big-name chocolate company (i.e., milk chocolate). At the end of the ingredient list it says "Contains wheat and milk." We've been doing this for six years. She can't have anything with milk. MIL: "well, I didn't know." HOW can you not know? The girls can't have anything with milk. This says it contains milk. Therefore, buy a different brownie mix--one that says something like "contains wheat and soy" just like I've told you on more than one occasion. She did note that the ingredients included things with lactose. So if she noticed this, why didn't she (a) read further, or (b) buy a different mix or (c) talk to her nephew who works at the organic grocer about finding a DF brownie mix? And have I mentioned before that most of her family avoids dairy? That her nephew (the one who works at the organic grocery store) had an anaphylactic reaction to milk for years? That both her brother and sister and niece avoid dairy? (They all had a little, though her sister might have abstained.)

shrug.gif and banghead.gif and shrug.gif

I'd packed homemade DF chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes for the girls, so they ate those instead. I'd prepped R before we came out here, reminding her that for reasons I don't understand, MIL doesn't cook DF desserts, but mommy takes care of her girls. And I bought a package of Pamela's brownies to bake tomorrow for Christmas desserts (DF and gluten-free too. We're not GF but the mix is so good that I always use it if I'm using a mix).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#261 of 320 Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Real, where in Central IL were you? I lived for many years in Peoria and the river bluffs have a very green beauty but oh! I remember one winter flying from Chapel Hill to St Louis to visit family and being so struck by how grey everything looked! The food thing is baffling but far too common.

Geo, I do hope you will share what all the testing turns up. They are so not the same girls with the same issues but one of dd1's teachers has suggested testing for various reasons (first time this has happened after many years of homeschooling and then this being her 4th school). There is something going on that drives me crazy, perhaps even insane but so far she has found ways to compensate...

JayGee, your salad sounds delicious. goodvibes.gif to your dh

Shanti, Happy Holidays? :hugs I hope you feel more love and warmth from the hearts of your children.

Jo, enjoy your travels.

Nic, I don't keep a kosher house but you would be welcome to visit (and run) here.

I think some of my mental state has to do with seeing so many people and places lacking in safety and security. I worry about everyone much like Lalalala mentioned earlier.

My parents flew in Wed/Thurs through Denver arriving at 3:30 in the morning due to snow delays. Things are moving along. They fly out a couple of day safter Christmas and while I have never done a detox before, this might be a good time to find one and try it. Maybe I'll cut back to black coffee, clementines, and dark chocolate. eyesroll.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#262 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Oy, Real. hug2.gifThat sounds awful. Seriously, the visit to the bathroom..and I'd be outta there and finding me and the kids a nice hotel. Jeez.

FWIW, Duncan Hines regular brownie mix is no dairy. Get the one with the O-U in the bottom right or left corner that does NOT have a "D" next to it. That means it's pareve (kosher, no dairy, traces of dairy, or dairy equipment used). All the Betty Crocker ones are dairy. 

Sorry you are going through that. Major bummer.

My little dude is missing his sisters but enjoying bossing mommy around as his playmate. lol.gif Apparently we are here preparing for the incoming Greek invasion (think Greeks vs. Maccabees) which ds is tracking with his personal 'computer' (shoe box) and preparing supplies for (cardboard shields and torches). The battle plan is that we are going to: 1) hide; 2) not make noise; 3) yell TORAH TORAH TORAH; and 4) throw donuts and meatballs at them.

I'm pretty sure something got lost in translation here but it's so funny and he's so earnest that I am enjoying this little play.

He loves his new Hess truck but I did not love being awakened at 3 a.m. to the sound of a VERY. LOUD. truck roaring noise -- he thought it was 'almost morning Mommy!' Sigh.

Mommajb if I could be on the next plane to you I would. 

Shanti, hug2.gif. Hang in there, and vent away here. 

No run yesterday, as my stomach is still in a bad place. I actually did start out on one, discovered that I would quickly have to find a bathroom, and came home. I ended up doing a 45 minute Tae Bo workout which was not nearly as challenging as I remember (I haven't done it in over a year) but at least it was something. Dh bought me a resistance band and I need to figure out what to do with that. I think on my off-running days I am going to try very hard and find some new activities. Monday there's a Vinyasa yoga class at the JCC I may try (since Sunday is my long run). New things for 2012...right?

#263 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

...while I have never done a detox before, this might be a good time to find one and try it. Maybe I'll cut back to black coffee, clementines, and dark chocolate. eyesroll.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifYeah, me too.

Real, yikes2.gif. And disappointed.gif

In the final stages of cleaning and packing. Why cleaning, when I know it will be a dusty, cat-hairy, pawprinty mess when we get back? Dunno. Just want to leave it not filthy. Got our teeth cleaned and checked-up today, scheduled vaxes for ds the day after we return. Just some ironing and outfit-figuring and gadget-charging, and I guess we'll be on our way at 630A tomorrow. See you Dingoes on the other side. blowkiss.gif

#264 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Have a good float for me, Jo! Peace.gif

I'm down with the coffee, clementines, and chocolate cleanse. We can call it the "Dingo C Cleanse". I bet it would market really well.

#265 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Real ~ that bathroom thing is just gross.  Seriously.  And I've dealt with the same kind of food issues regarding wheat at both my mother's and my MIL's.  They just don't get it, no matter how much I try to explain.  MIL has tried (one year she bought all "low carb" bread for me eyesroll.gif), but couldn't seem to grasp why that wouldn't work either.  Hope your visit goes smoothly and your DH stays on an even keel.

Jooj ~ have a wonderful, wonderful trip!

Nic ~ your description of DS playing Greeks v. Maccabees is hysterical twins.gif.  Sounds like he's enjoy his time with you.  Have you heard from the girls at all?

Geo ~ I hope all that testing can shed some light on the issues your DD is having.

mommajb ~ I like the sound of your detox lol.gif!  I actually successfully ate no sugar or grains on Thursday, and did well yesterday until the Ice Cream Monster showed up at 8:00pm.  Back on the wagon again today... that is until we do our annual Christmas Eve, post-church dinner at the Chinese buffet!

RR ~ riding the trainer today and trying a "4 minute workout" I read about that is basically 8 all-out 20 second intervals with 10 seconds rest between.  Things like squats, pushups, and jumping jacks.  DS wants to do it with me!

NRR ~ I am so relaxed this Christmas, especially when you compare to last year when we'd just moved into this house.  Presents are wrapped, cookies are baked, menu is planned and food is bought.  The house is even clean!  My very own Christmas Miracle ROTFLMAO.gif.  DH's surgery went smoothly, but the surgeon found way more damage than they expected based on the MRI.  He said it looked like "a snow globe" with all the debris floating around in there.  He was also almost down to bone-on-bone osteoarthritis so the doctor did microfracture as well to encourage blod clotting in the knee.  He had microfracture on his left knee about 8 years ago and has been able to play soccer fine since then, so he's still optimistic.  This is the beginning of the end though, unless they invent that elusive knee replacement that you can run (and play soccer) with in the next few years.  I'm waiting on that invention myself.  Now, DH is on crutches for 3 weeks and starts physical therapy next week.  Overall, he's very upbeat about the whole thing.  Thank goodness!

Happy Christmas Eve to all who are celebrating!

#266 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Postwhile I have never done a detox before, this might be a good time to find one and try it. Maybe I'll cut back to black coffee, clementines, and dark chocolate. eyesroll.gif

The Coffee, Clementine, Dark Chocolate Detox Diet, CCdC DD, is the latest craze in dieting.  I can see the book now, flying off the shelves:

The Dingo Detox Diet:

The Secrets and Successes of the most awesome diet by the most awesome women

In it, you will find a multitude of feel-good successes:

*Mommajb survives her first year in sunny San Diego eating clementines dipped in chocolate

*Lala takes her work punishment, and shoves a clementine up her bosses heiny.

*Lisa gets a hotel stay with HEAT after drinking coffee infused with dark chocolate and hints or orange

*Snow appears in northern MN:  Read of Kristin's manifestation of snow for the whole region just by eating a few extra servings of the CCdC diet, with extra beer option (additional fees apply)

*Gaye wins the job offer of a lifetime, fueled by the secret formula of the clementine spread, also useful for tri fuel.

*Bec wins great favor in the retail mall toiletries sector after developing clementine and cocoa skin cream, where coffee is the secret ingredient to remove wrinkles -- over night (but it really only works if you run a half marathon on a day of doing inventory).

*JayGee discovers that all pain in her legs disappears after just 3 days on the CCdC DD.

*Nic runs a half marathon in 1:56:37 after using the CCdC DD.  It's kosher.

*jooj discovers that the secret to cultural understanding and cool summers is just a CCdC recipe away.

*Mastitis problems?  MM discovers that the CCdC DD is the perfect remedy for mastitis.

*DrJen's DH gets extra cross training after he takes up the CCdC.  Kinda like Mandy's soap.  ;)

*Plady writes and directs the Tony Award winning Musical:  Dingoes Do Duathlons in Denver

*Mel is suddenly transported to Bavaria after 2 weeks on the CCdC DD

*Sparkle's kids win nationals in climbing chasing after the kid's version of CCdC, the hCCdC DD

*MelW finds the secret to life, instructing, and practice through the CCdC.  Turns out, you can do it all with the CCdC

#267 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Geo, you rock. (Pun intended). ROTFLMAO.gif

That is the Best. Thing. Ever.

Too bad we can't fit that all on a t-shirt.

JayGee, if you wait til Christmas day to go to the chinese buffet, you'll for sure run into any Jewish families who happen to be living in your town. It's like the covert-Christmas Jewish tradition: Chinese food. I have no idea why (nothing else open?). I wish we had a kosher (or vegan) Chinese restaurant here but alas, none to be found. 

I need to go buy some Clementines and dark chocolate....

#268 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Geo - ROTFLMAO.gif indeed

Lisa - Oh. my. That is awful. I am so sorry, but excellent job prepping the kids

JG - On the knee: I met a guy (sitting on the bike next to mine actually) last year who told me about a knee doctor who is like the worlds best, most cutting edge, bla bla bla. he described the dr.s waiting room as being full of researchers and other dr's from around the world. He's working on cartilidge replacement (as in rubber meniscus type thing). I think his name is Dr. Stone, and he happens to be in S.F. This came up via talking about our injuries, and then talking about my dad's knee, and where my dad lives, and this guy says, "well, you know, in S.F....." So I keep thinking, maybe in another ten years he'd be a good person to see---being finished with his clinical trials of the meniscus by then right ? lol.gif

NRR: DD2 (4 in 1 week) cut her hair off yesterday greensad.gif I was just admiring it [in my head] three days go b/c it has finally grown out from when she was a toddler and had bangs. She was awfully quiet while I was showering yesterday, and sure enough, I come out to a house full of long strands. So today I will give her a short bob, to even it all out, and try not to weep bawling.gif Funny thing is DD1 did EXACTLY the same thing at EXACTLY the same age. Sigh

#269 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Geo - ROTFLMAO.gif  Love it!    I hope that I was wrong in reading the description of the testing of your dd as 2 hours in a sand box instead of an expected 8 hours of talking/writing/reading with someone with experience looking for connections and disconnections in child development.  If not I'm guessing you actually signed up for some sadistic parenting test in which they see how far they can push you before you blow a gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

Real, where in Central IL were you? I lived for many years in Peoria and the river bluffs have a very green beauty but oh! I remember one winter flying from Chapel Hill to St Louis to visit family and being so struck by how grey everything looked!

Mommajb - I lived in Deer Creek for two years after dh got out of law school and clerked for the fed. judge in Peoria.  I spent one year treading water at ISU on an MFA and then one year working at a fish restaurant in E. Peoria.  I didn't fall in love with the place but it did have certain chrams.

Real - hammer.gif for your ILs.  At least you aren't surprised but seriously?  How damaged are these people?  They just sound like it's a miracle they can function at all, (or just a big ole birdie to Darwin).  Hang in there.

JayGee - I'm going to try to channel your peace and joy today.  I haven't wrapped a single present, rolled out a single cookie or finished half a dozen projects on my list.  DH has offered to take the kids away so I can get things done, nice right?  Except I keep getting all irked.gif that that means he gets a workout today (because he's going to take them to the fire station where they can watch a movie while he does step master) and I get to do all the Santa-ing alone. Pass the dark chocolate please!

Sparkle - Don't worry, it'll grow out, and everyone you meet will know exactly what happened and think it's charming.  And you can be sure to take lots of pictures while it's in this stage so she can enjoy them in collages at her wedding or graduation or whenever she needs to tone down the 'tude.

Nic - I don't know, it sounds like ittle dude is having a great time with his undivided attention!  And it sounds like fun too!

Okay, I'm moving way too slowly, better get a move on!  Happy Holidays mamas! blowkiss.gif

#270 of 320 Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Geo -  I hope that I was wrong in reading the description of the testing of your dd as 2 hours in a sand box instead of an expected 8 hours of talking/writing/reading with someone with experience looking for connections and disconnections in child development.  If not I'm guessing you actually signed up for some sadistic parenting test in which they see how far they can push you before you blow a gasket.

Ahhh, I understand the questions now.  We went for the initial intake, which was a 2 hour appointment.  Half of it was me showing work samples, existing test scores, describing the problems as I observe.  The other half was me filling out the autism/adhd/spd forms, mostly so that they could run it through the insurance (after which they discover that my insurance doesn't require it).  Then we scheduled the 6 hours of testing with the expectation (and penciled in appt) for 2 more, since the wisc will take more than 2 hours.  Through all of this, DD played meditatively with the sand.  That's all.  ;)  All with be done with report promised within a month.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page